GM Doug's The Fall of Plaguestone

Game Master Doug Hahn


301 to 350 of 1,049 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G’nak tries to rally up the energy to sprint after Phinick!

Fortitude to sprint: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Goblin:
”Come back good sir! Defend your innocence! You’re giving goblins a bad name!”


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

G'nak makes headway. Phinick shouts something in goblin.

Goblin:
I not Good Sir! Good Sir run… that way!

The goblin then points to the left and veers toward an alley on the right

Does Running Mean You're Guilty? The Empty Road!

Please make a fortitude save to sprint! I can also be sold on another skill if you think it's appropriate.

Cai 0 successes, winded (-1 penalty to next check)
G'nak 2 successes
Guyzer 3 successes
Kyrie 2 successes
Marula 0 successes


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

With Phinick out of range of their entangling vines, Marula takes off at a run...

Fortitude: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

... and collapses, unable to keep pace.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Marula is winded like Cai. Together, they struggle to catch up.

The goblin dives into a filthy alley! It's full of wet mud, like a filthy moat — people on the way home from the Feedmill have been using it as a pit stop. Phinick skips along the edge.

Does Running Mean You're Guilty? Stay Out of the Muck!

Make a Reflex save to avoid falling in the mud, or Survival to pick a better path. I can also be sold on another skill if you think it's appropriate.

Cai 0 successes, winded (-1 penalty to this check)
G'nak 2 successes
Guyzer 3 successes
Kyrie 2 successes
Marula 0 successes, winded (-1 penalty to this check)


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Goblin:
"Look here, fine fellow, we only want a quick chat! Nothing to worry about!"

G'nak is used to chasing leads down filthy alleys in Hunthul, and dashes along the edge after Phinick.

Reflex save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Chase over with that critical success!

G'nak leaps clear across the filth, landing in front of Phinick!

The little goblin looks up at the detective with teary eyes. The tall hobgoblin places a hand on his quivering shoulder…


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Goblin:
"What's all this about? You can trust us. We're here to help."

G'nak hands Phinick a poorly folded handkerchief.

Not having any skills in diplomacy, G'nak will wait for the rest of the party to arrive if the goblin needs sweet talking.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

The goblin quivers — and eats the handkerchief.

Goblin:
Big hobgoblin boss! So strong! So smart! Thank you for food. Lots of tastes, like many leftover meal at same time. Poor Phinick! So hungry! And stupid! And small! No kill nobody!

Phinick smacks himself upside the head and then begins blubbering and weeping. The story — whatever it is — pours forth in a torrent of Goblin.

Goblin:
You come — wagons come! Hallod kick me when dwarf wagon-man come! Hurt me. Hurt me every day, mean longshank! But more that day. Say to add special spice to dessert. If not, I die! Hallod knives sharp. Hurt.

The goblin pauses and shivers, as if remembering something terrible.

Goblin:
Only spice! Special! Little vial. Only to make Bort sick! Joke!

The goblin starts laughing, but it's forced.

Goblin:
Hallod say wagon-dwarf did bad deal, cheat other longshanks. I scared. I sprinkle vial in big bowl while Amora busy watching —

He points at Cai.

Goblin:
fight he start. He work for Hallod too? Or work for big Hobgoblin boss? Boss G'nak? So strong! So smart! Save me!

The goblin clutches G'nak's leg.

Goblin:
Phinick scared! Nice wagon-dwarf die! So I run! But now… hungry. No more hide. Too hungry. No eat since wagon-dwarf die. Need food…

He falls into the filth, kissing G'nak's boots.

Goblin:
Please, be nice! No want to kill! No more beating! Longshanks hate me! All longshanks kick me. All plaguestone maybe hang me if find out. Please, I tell truth! Smart boss G'nak see that? Yes? So smart, my boss G'nak. Phinick lucky to have nice boss now! Protect from longshanks. Yes?

The goblin, now quite covered in disgusting muck, continues his pathetic obeisance.


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Goblin:
"Don't fret dear friend. I too was once the victim of a terrible prank, egged on by more powerful friends. It's a common tale, really, for many of us who live on the margins. And quite frankly, dessert is such a strange and foreign concept, I can see how you could become confused."

G'nak takes a ration from his bag and shares it with Phinick.

Goblin:
"But do stand up, and try not to look so pathetic in front of the others. Especially not the elf. Once you show weakness, they'll forever know how to exploit you. I suspect that's the problem with Hallod. He thinks you are weak. Something we may be able to use to our advantage..."

When the others arrive, G'nak leans in and explains:

"Phinick done confessed. He poisoned Bort. But he ain't the real killer. He's a patsy. Hallod pressured him into slipping something into Bort's food. We need to get Phinick somewhere safe, as he's our primary witness at this point. And I'm kind of his boss, so I don't want anything happening to him. We also need to speak with Hallod. I don't know why he'd want to kill Bort, if he was the H from the ledgers. They must've had a falling out."


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Phinick eats the rations… and their package.

Goblin:
I no live in margins, boss! Live here. Plaguestone. Exploidt? Like when feed duck fire bomb, then kick? Good goblin game, but Phinick no want to be exploided!

He quickly stands up straighter, torn parchment hanging from his lips. He salutes G'nak and gives Guyzer a dirty look; muck and snot dribble from his nose.


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Marula picks a fruit from their foliage and offers it to Phinick. They gently reach out to pat the goblin’s shoulder.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Human Champion/3

Kyrie’s teeth grind so hard they squeak as she thinks about that man’s damned smirk. She should have stopped him right there when she had the chance. If she had just pushed him a bit harder, maybe he would have let something loose and she would have been able to figure out what was going on before Bort died. If they fought, maybe he’d be in a cell right now at the very least. She tells herself she had no way of knowing and she did the best she could with what she knew, but it’s small comfort when a good man died.

”I am sorry, everyone. I should have stopped Hallod when I confronted him about his treatment of Phinick. I might have made a difference.” Kyrie clenches her fist. She thinks of a line from one of The Zolversson Case Files: “A good man is dead. If we’re lucky, soon a bad man.” She really wants to be lucky. She knows she has to do her due diligence and confirm its him, and that her wanting it to be him is all the more frustrating as she knows she’ll need to make herself be extra sure to guarantee she isn’t letting her bias control her.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Phinick gulps down the goodberry. He watches Marula's hand hungrily.

Goblin:
They food too? Smart boss, bring walking talking food with! What you do with Phinick?

It's mid-afternoon by now. What will do with Phinick, and where will you go next?


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

"We'll help Phinick, then.
Vengeance leaves rich earth fallow.
Redemption is growth."

Marula puts the fruit in Phinick's hand and moves to hug Kyrie's leg.

"Never apologize
For another tree's sickness.
We'll remove its rot."

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Cai Fen stares at Phinnick with undisguised contempt, his hands making involuntary clasping motions.

"Perhaps it has appropriateness that where you were one Hallod's instrument, now you will be the instument of his downfall."


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Phinick hides behind G'nak.

Goblin:
See boss? Longshank hate Phinick!


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Goblin:
”Don’t mind him. He’s harmless. We do need to get you someplace safe though.”

G’nak suggests leaving Phinick with the sheriff, to protect him.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

The sheriff takes in Phinick, promising to keep him safe in the cellars until Hallod is caught or more proof is found. Of course, lacking proof the goblin will be charged with murder and hanged, but Phinick trusts that his new boss G'nak will find said evidence. Rolth seems relieved that he has someone to charge, one way or the other.

----

You make your way to the house that Sir Lawrence Krent pointed out to Kyrie. Its sagging straw roof barely protects it from the elements. Piles of debris litter the common room, which shows signs of occupation, although not too recently.

Quite suddenly the air seems to grow cold, and the sound of moaning fills the house. A being materializes atop the table — he has the gaunt form of a soldier whose raiment is quite similar to what Sir Lawren’s once might have been. A nasty-looking scar runs down one side of his face. His shield is emblazoned with the symbol of a sword and a sun — but now it burns with a cold, white fire. Art here.

Spoiler:

Cai, Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
G'nak, Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Guyzer, Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Kyrie, Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Marula, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Spoooooky: 1d20 ⇒ 1

Kyrie:
The sword and sun are the symbols of Iomadae.

Paranormal "Investigation:" Round 1

Knowledge religion to identify as an action.
Knowledge religion to identify the iconography on the shield as an action.

Kyrie
G'nak
Marula
Spoooooky
Cai No Panache
Guyzer


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G'nak tries to recall any occult knowledge about spirits.

Occultism: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

My other 2 actions will depend on what I learn.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

This is a ghost. They have resistance against all damage types except force, ghost touch, or positive; they have even stronger resistance against non magical damage.


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

"Well, that's a ghost alright. Do we want to leave it be, or find out what it wants, or just try to get rid of it?"

I honestly don't remember what this side quest had to do with anything... Also, G'nak doesn't really have anything particularly strong against ghosts.


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie lowers her shield and steps forward. She holds up her holy symbol of Iomedae. ”I am Kyrie. I am called Breakspear. I serve the Inheritor as you do. I am a Knight of Lastwall, trained under Bereivelle Starshine as well as Clarenthe and Kalabrynne Iomedar. Are you Talmore? How may I help you, comrade-in-arms?”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 19

The ghost stares at Kyrie; his whisper is hollow and dry: Bury… Resssst.

His eyes widen into disks of rage and he screams: Deserter… Coward!

The ghost raises his sword!

In other words, this ghost is not mollified by diplomacy, although maybe there's something else you can do.

Guyzer and Kyrie:
Now that you've paused to look at the ghost more closely, you notice there's a broken silver chain around the ghost's neck. War-like clerics and paladins will often keep their holy symbols on such chains, so they can be touched or presented in the heat of battle.

Paranormal "Investigation:" Round 1

Knowledge religion to identify as an action.
Knowledge religion to identify the iconography on the shield as an action.

Kyrie 2 actions left
G'nak 2 actions left
Marula
Spoooooky
Cai No Panache
Guyzer


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 181d20 ⇒ 11

Marula:
Ghosts usually stay around a single place, so if you walk away he probably won;t chase you. The iconography on the shield is Iomedae's symbol.


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Marula looks around. Seeing the stairs, they go down (or up) them in search of the ghost's remains.

"I'll find your body,
Like an earthworm through the soil.
Set you free to mulch."


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Marula finds the stairs going down collapsed at the bottom.

You all tell each other stuff about what you know:

1. This is a ghost. They have resistance against all damage types except force, ghost touch, or positive; they have even stronger resistance against non magical damage.
2. Ghosts usually won't chase you away if you try to leave.
3. This particular ghost's shield is emblazoned with the symbol of Iomedae.
4. This ghost looks like it once wore a silver holy symbol, but it's missing.

Dark Archive

Botting G'nak

G'nak readies to throw a bomb is the ghost makes any move and comes witib 20 feet.

Alchemist fire, ready: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Fire: 1d8 ⇒ 4 1 persistent fire, +1 splash


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie out her own holy symbol of Iomedae. ”I do not see your holy symbol of Iomedae. I would like to find it for you. I would like to know where you last saw it. I would also be willing to give you mine. I am your comrade, and you are mine.”

She smiles, completely at peace. ”I swore thus: ‘I will guard the honor of my fellows, both in thought and deed, and I will have faith in them.’ I think maybe you swore these words, too.”


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

The ghost's eyes blaze at the sight of the symbol.

bring… my… light… my… light of… sword… taken… by… oath… breaker…

His words come out in a slow, rasping whisper that shakes you to the core. Everyone but Marula, please make a Will save.

No… REST.

The dead knight howls and flies at Kyrie, feet hovering inches above the rotting floorboards. G'nak lobs an alchemist fire — it shatters on the ghost's armor but is snuffed out in a puff of black smoke, doing no damage.

The being lunges at Kyrie with the longsword, its skeletal figure making a mockery of the graceful movements of a knight of Ozem. The cold blade merely touches the Champion — black energy crackles at the point of contact, disrupting her life force!

Strike 1: 1d20 ⇒ 15
negative energy: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10

Paranormal "Investigation:" Round 1-2

Kyrie Need Will save; -10 HP
G'nak Need Will save
Marula
Spoooooky -0 HP
Cai No Panache Need Will save
Guyzer Need Will save


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F Human Champion/3

Kyrie grunts in pain, but she takes no offensive action. Something the ghost says triggers a memory and the story begins to fit together. ”I do not want you to fight, everyone! I think I know how to appease the ghost. I would like you all to follow me.”

She retreats, stopping to heal herself with a quick pat of her hand. Lay on hands and then leave


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Want to run these will saves, as knowing the effects of this creature's special ability might matter later, if you end up confronting the ghost again.

Will save, Kyrie: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Will save, G'nak: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Will save, Cai: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Will save, Guyzer: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Kyrie and G'Nak are frightened 2 by the ghost's moan! Guyzer and Cai run out at top speed! frightened 3.

You get outside, and your heartbeats soon slow down. The ghost has not given not chase. Now, to find Sir Lawrence Krent… the sun is just now setting, so he's likely en route to the Feedmill…

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

I am trusting in your plan, Breakspear Kyrie.

Cai Fen will delay until everyone has made it out safely and then follow. If there's some sort of problem with our escape, he will attempt to trip the ghost to buy time. Giving you a roll now just in case.

Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

I hope that doesn't happen though because I'll be falling prone on that crit fail :P


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Cai gets a hero point. For trying.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

You begin making your way from the Dead Homes to the Feedmill. You run into Sir Lawrence Krent a block away. He cradles a half-finished bottle in his arm as he shambles to the watering hole.

He looks at Kyrie, pleading: Talmore! I can feel it: they're still here. I can feel them, Talmore. They're here. You have to help me! You will, won't you? You’ll help me, Talmore?


F Human Champion/3

Is he wearing the boot that had the holy symbol in it? Or do we need to continue back to where Kyrie first met him

”I will help you. I need something from you in order to fix this. I would like you to promise to give it to me. I know you have it.”


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

He’s wearing em.

What’s that, Talmore?

This will require a diplomacy check.


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie points to his boot. ”I need the silver holy symbol of Iomedae in your boot. I know you took it. I can’t make anything better until you give it to me.”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
I think I havent used my hero point yet
Hero Point Reroll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Ugh g!@#**n it :(


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Marula tried to help Kyriell-Starts-With-I.

"The ghost still remains.
The symbol is it’s tether.
You should return it."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Verdant Wheel

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

Guyzer makes eye contact with Krent and tries to make a connection with him by telling of his own powerlessness in Lastwall when the Whispering Tyrant rose again.

Diplomancy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G'nak just hangs out in the background, not skilled at diplomacy, and not sure what this whole ghost thing is about.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

He looks At Kyrie, then at Guyzer — and starts trembling when he hears the tale. It meant so much to you, Talmore. I’m keeping it safe so there’s always a part of you with me. I’m afraid without it. But you can borrow it, if you must.

He reaches into his boot and hands a silver holy symbol of Iomedae to Kyrie.

Do you want him to come with, or not?

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Cai Fen thinks there is more to this story, and feels that having Krent confront the ghost might shed some light on what is going on.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Speeding you along here to catch up after the delays posting on my part.

You make your way back to the house; Krent waits outside. Again, the ghost tries to attack you. You feel like it wants the symbol buried — only then can the spirit be put to rest.

You do so, and the ghost of Talmore is finally put to rest — he appears briefly and tells you that Krent abandoned his fellow paladins in their last stand — hiding while his comrades were overwhelmed by the undead. This was the oath he broke. He then crawled out from under the bodies and took his friend's holy symbol. The ghost forgives Kremlin, but was enraged at not having his holy symbol with his body or put to proper rest.

Sir Lawrence Krent is not present for this revelation — he's back at the Feedmill.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Hallod, you are told, lives at Dead Willow. You already know how to get there, as Bort pointed this location out to you on the way into town, in fact.

It's now suppertime. Will you confront Hallod now or tomorrow morning?

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

If Hallod is being our killer, he probably suspects that we have captured Phinnick and learned what the goblin knows. The more time we are giving him, the more prepared he will be for us, or the farther he will get if he decides to escape. I say we should go now.

Cai Fen punctuates his speech with pacing and angry gestures. He is clearly chomping at the bit to get to Hallod.

Cai Fen is Cai Fen. Feel free to disagree - we had a rough bear and ghost-filled day.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

You can also buy a medicine kit on credit or pool your gold before you go— Bort’s caravan is still here!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G’nak checks in at the inn to see if anyone has replied to his post.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Back at the inn, Farmer Eallom straightens his shoulders, adjusts his stained overalls, and waves the hobgoblin's torn-off flyer around like a stiff handkerchief. This here's my vow-chirr, Sir, found on th'pole. I'm here ta claim tha dee-livery. It's gotta be for the th'prize turnip I done sold off ta Bort last year. Big as a pony, 'twas — purple ribbon winner at the faire for sures!

An' y'know, my given name's Harry. Harry Eallom. Them's my name. He looks at three farmers, who are sitting at a nearby table and watching intently. Ain't that so, boys?

They nod in agreement. Right you are, Harry. They toast. A turnip for th'ages!

Eallom turns back to G'nak and places the flyer on the table. He points at the word "misses." Seys "H" right there's. See? Nows, Bort always called me "Harry." Ain't that so, boys?

The three farmers nod. Rightly so.

So's, makes sense them's dee-livery's indented for "Harry." An' I been wonderin,' how come Bort ain't seen time to dee-liver me what I was owed — he shoots a vile look at Cai. — likely 'cause of the ruckus you an' yours done caused.

The three farmers nod with profundity.

So, I been wonderin' where my dee-livery been. Prolly turnip prize monies, platinums or golds, a hefty pouch of turnip prize monies. You got Harry's dee-livery, an' I'm Harry, here ta collect. Good thing too, my yunguns're sick an' I needs the turnip moneies for th'medicines.

Mighty sick. say the three farmers, who sadly shake their heads.

Eallom slides the letter to G'nak. You an' yours, done caused me so much trouble. Knockin' me upside th'head th'other night, knockin' th'turnip cart over just today an' not fixin' to apologize. But I'd be right glad, an' call it fair an' square were you ta dee-liver me what I gots comin.'

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

...sense motive?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

So you are confessing to killing Bort over a turnip?


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G'nak cooly, calmly, reaches across the table and drags the flyer over to himself with the dirty, blackened nail of his index finger.

"First of all, I don't want to call you a liar here in front of all your, ahem, friends, but if you were really the "H" that Bort was delivering too, then you would know what the deliveries were. You wouldn't have to speculate and be all prolly this and prolly that.

"Secondly, you would know that Bort's delivery was made yesterday, and he was paid quite well for it. Which don't look to be something that you with an overturned turnip cart, and sick yunguns seem capable of doing. No offense.

"And third, well, I can't say the third one out loud on account of not wanting to start another fight at the inn. But, you have done me a favor by coming forth like this. You're one less "H" I need to filter out. So, thank you for that."

G'nak folds up the flyer and tucks it into his bandoleer.

301 to 350 of 1,049 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's The Fall of Plaguestone All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.