GM Doug's The Fall of Plaguestone

Game Master Doug Hahn


201 to 250 of 1,060 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

There is no exhaustion (as far as I can tell) in 2e. Only fatigued. See p. 499 of the CRB. You are all fatigued but that doesn’t have an effect on skill checks somehow, so you can still make your investigative checks without penalty.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

G’nak cannot identify the poison. Nor can he discern where the goblin went. Asking bleary-eyed morning risers, he hears that Bort had several private accounts and was seen around town doing business. However, none of that is unusual for a merchant.

If there’s a particular area you want to look for clues in, you can roll your own perception checks too.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Is there a local alchemist or town doctor? Maybe they can help identify the substance.
Society to find a medically/alchemically minded individual: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Cai Fen suggests returning to the scene of the crime to scour the area for clues (including the stables and kitchen if we are allowed to enter)

Perception, search inn for clues: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

He would also like to ask Delma to get the employees together (including Phinnick) so that we can ask them what they know. However, someone more persuasive and less property-destructive might want to handle that aspect of the investigation.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F Human Champion/3

Medicine to ID Poison?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

"I think we should retrace the victim's steps. Start with what ya know, and you'll get to what you don't."

The latter sentence is the protagonist's catchphrase from Kyrie's favorite series of mysteries, The Zolversson Case Files. The still-ongoing series is about a gregarious halfling writer who takes it upon herself to uncover mysteries surrounding her small town in Varisia. Despite her folksy, bright demeanor, she is an incredibly smart and savvy woman who takes advantage of people constantly underestimating her.

Think one part Fargo, one part Columbo, one part Murder She Wrote

Despite the horrendous circumstances, some part of Kyrie does find some enjoyment in getting to draw upon her reading in a constructive way.

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

I don't think it would be out of character for Cai Fen to dip a little into murder mysteries and recognize the quote. Gotta have something to entertain you during those long caravan routes.

I always have great surprise at how much murder can happen in a small town of only a few hundred people. Is this normal in Avistan?


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

There are no alchemically-minded individuals in this small town. Kyrie cannot ID the medicine.

Cai returns to the scene of the crime; the bowls have been taken, and Bort's body was moved down to the cellar for storage. There doesn't seem to be anything remarkable here.

If you're stymied, there's the kitchen, the body downstairs, the grounds and stables, and Bort's personal belongings. These are all standard places any detective would check.

Delma says she can't get employees together any faster than you could track them down yourself. They're all gone home, or haven't been seen since the tavern brawl.

- Amora lives at a farmhouse house in an old orchard.
- Edra lives in the stables.
- Flonk lives in a modest apartment nearby.
- Kolnral lives in a home nearby with his family.
- No one knows where Phinick stays. He tends to flee fights as he is sometimes bodily thrown at others as an improvised weapon, and often the target of bullying. She shrugs. "He usually turns up in a day. I wish the town'd be nicer to him."
- Delma lives here, in the inn.
- Trin stays at the Feedmill four nights a week and lives at her brother's farm otherwise.
- Sir Lawren Krent, the man who fled, lives in an abandoned home on the outskirts of the Dead Homes.
- Farmer Eallom can be found in his fields most days and in the taproom of the Feedmill most nights.

As said above I don't think fatigued really impacts your investigation in terms of skill checks; you can choose to push through or rest until the late afternoon. Note that there are wild animals and such on the town's outskirts, where the farmers live.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

A cold sadness overtakes Cai Fen as he descends into the cellar. Seeing the body reawakens the memories of the tragedy and of his own failure. Digging through his pack, he finds a comb and clasps Bort's hands over it. Perhaps now Pharasma will smile once more upon his wayward soul.

He will check the body for any clues he might have missed.

Investigation: 1d20 ⇒ 20
perception (+6) or medicine (+4), whichever is most appropriate

If Bort's belongings are here as well, Cai Fen will check through those.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

While Cai is in the cellar, G’nak sorts through Bort’s personal belongings in the caravan, looking for any clues.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Bort's flesh has turned an odd blue color in death, and Cai smells a strange alchemical efflorescence from the body.

Cai leaves the comb with the old dwarf, a touching talisman to help him transition into the afterlife.

Bort's belongings are in his wagon.

Tamli will not let G'nak keep anything from Bort's wagon, but allows the hobgoblin to look. The detective looks around, finding several interesting things as well as a potential lead — that is, if one of you can decode ledgers!

Bort’s wagon is filled with knickknacks and keepsakes from his journeys. His belongings are truly a bewildering assortment of odds and ends, including a bottle with a tiny skull floating in oil, a taxidermic dragon whelp, a mummified owlbear paw, and a shining crystal that holds the illusionary image of a mountain peak inside.

The merchant’s ledgers are easily found in a rack above his bed. The books are large and filled to the brim with details about his travels and transactions over many years.

If you would like to examine the ledgers, it will take 4 hours for each attempt. You may roll a Decipher Writing check if you are trained in Society or a relevant Lore, such as merchant or accounting lore. You can't roll Decipher Writing checks untrained.

Dark Archive

Botting Guyzer!

Guyzer, Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Guyzer walks the grounds.

He spots a glint in the grass just outside the stable doors, leading to a small glass vial with a simple cork. The vial is empty but contains traces of a liquid that has an efflorescent smell to it.

Verdant Wheel

Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

Guyzer takes a moment to gather himself before heading toward the stables to talk with Edra.

Guyzer will politely ask questions about where they were before the fight started and what they saw during the brawl.

Diplomancy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Edra is taking care of the caravan's horses, and she gives Guyzer a dirty look when he comes in. While not talkative about anything much, the topic of animals makes her rather garrulous. She pats a horse. Poor things. Covered in fleas! What did you do to them? If you remember, the wolves you fought were infested with fleas! It looks like some have colonized your horses.

Guyzer makes nice, and manages to pull a little information from the halfling. I remember the fight. I right here, picking fleas outta your horses, mister! She scratches her head furiously… it looks like she might have caught some fleas, herself. Saw Phinick run off, like he always does. Saw Trin too, holding her nose.

Anyway. Back to the horses. I need to make some ointment, so they can be healthy again. You wouldn't let them suffer, would you?

I know this spot in the woods with big ol' bushels of rosemary. Go get me a whole bushel, and your horses will be happy in no time. She gives Guyzer directions to a glade in the forest, off the Drunk Shepard's Path.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Between his own observations and Guyzer's discovery, Cai Fen becomes more convinced that the poison was alchemical in nature, and added to the food intentionally. Though he still wonders whether Bort was the true target.

He gives the kitchen a cursory sweep, trying to spend as little time there as possible in case Amora should come in.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Returning to the wagons, he will tell G'nak about Bort's oddly blue coloration, the strange scent radiating from the body, and the vial that Guyzer found.

I know you were having no luck with the identification of the poison, but perhaps these additional clues will help you.

He offers to help with the ledgers. You can easily tell by his expression that he would find it preferable to spend his time with the books rather than confront the people whom he offended last evening. However, if you want his help searching the forest for berries, he will gladly come along (though he mentions that plants and berries are not in his wheelhouse).


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie wants to go seek after this Sir Lawren Krent. His quick exit was suspicious. She is also curious if she can leverage a shared background at all to get him to open up.

Sounds like we are all spread out so she doesn’t mind going alone, but anyone else is welcome to tag along if they want. Likewise, if someone else would like to bring her along with whatever lead they have in-mind, she can hold off on Krent for now


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Cai finds nothing of any significance in the kitchens. He goes to G'nak to try and help figure out the ledgers, which will take four hours. Please roll Society on that, Cai. G'nak — you, too.

----

Kyrie, on her way to the Dead Homes, finds Sir Lawrence Krent passed out in a roadside ditch. An empty bottle of wahon grease rests at his side.

The champion looms above Krent in the morning light; he smells quite foul — even from here. The man comes awake with a start, shielding his eyes from the bright morning light as he gazes up at Kyrie. He backs up on his haunches.

He looks behind him, then to the sides. Talmore! My old friend. You have to help me. I think his minions have followed us here. I seen ’em. They’re coming! They're coming! He begins crawling to Kyrie on all fours, as if begging. Help me, Tamore! Please! You have to help me!

Art on slide one of town NPCs!

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Cai Fen will sit with G'nak to help decipher the ledges. rolling my own check - not an aid action

Society: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Cai spends four hours on the books, but cannot make heads or tails of Bort’s notes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G'nak understands Cai also wants to help decipher the ledgers, and outwardly is appreciative of Cai's "help", saying things like, "Nice one, you could be a detective yourself", but inwardly wishes he he didn't have to deal with the interference.

Society: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 Boom


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

G'nak becomes an expert on Bort Lore.

The dwarf visited Etran’s Folly at least twenty-two times in the past decade. Five years ago the merchant started making deliveries labeled “reagents” to someone referred to only as “H,” receiving rather large sums of gold in exchange. He also discovers that Bort has been trying for years to discover Amora's super-secret turnip porridge recipe, and had almost succeeded!

These deliveries of reagents are numbered, starting with 1 and ending with delivery number 14. Number 14 occurred the day the caravan arrived in town.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G'nak pulls on one of his long ears, thinking.

"Hmm... I wonder if Amora was aware that Bort was trying to steal her famous secret recipe. And if so, would that be enough reason to kill him? We saw how she reacted when Marula tried to get into the kitchen."

"Interesting about these reagents, delivered to a mysterious "H". The only "H" we know is Hallod... Before jumping to conclusions, we should speak to Delma to see who else might possibly be a match."

G'nak will track down Delma and ask her about local residents whose names begin with H.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Let's pause G'nak and Cai's actions there, while the others spend 4 hour's worth of activity investigating.

Verdant Wheel

Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

Guyzer promises to get the rosemary but inquires further if Edra possibly heard anyone else beside Phinick outside the stables.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Edra shrugs. Didn’t see much else. What’s that plant person you’re with up to? I bet they would be good at gathering rosemary for the horses. If they’re not too busy investigating that caravaner’s death, that is.


F Human Champion/3
GM Doug H wrote:


Kyrie, on her way to the Dead Homes, finds Sir Lawrence Krent passed out in a roadside ditch. An empty bottle of wahon grease rests at his side.

The champion looms above Krent in the morning light; he smells quite foul — even from here. The man comes awake with a start, shielding his eyes from the bright morning light as he gazes up at Kyrie. He backs up on his haunches.

He looks behind him, then to the sides. Talmore! My old friend. You have to help me. I think his minions have followed us here. I seen ’em. They’re coming! They're coming! He begins crawling to Kyrie on all fours, as if begging. Help me, Tamore! Please! You have to help me!

Art on slide one of town NPCs!

Kyrie kneels down and holds out a hand to Krent. "I am Kyrie. I am called Breakspear. I am a member of the Knights of Lastwall, Knighted by Bereivelle Starshine. I am not Talmore. I would like to help you in whatever way I can."

Diplomacy to Make an Impression: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Krent trustingly grasps Kyrie's hand, but then lets go when the Champion says her name.

He looks bemused for a moment, and then grins. This isn't the time for jokes, Talmore. And we didn't train under Starshine — Gloriana trained us, and I'll never forget how she whipped me for giving you that scar on your face. A dozen lashes — for an honest sparring accident… He lets go of Kyrie's hand and wraps his arms around himself, shivering. And now… They're here. The… things… from the Gravelands. Watching me. Watching us. He looks over his shoulder and whispers: How did you make it out of Lastwall?

Kyrie:
You know that Glorianna was the sobriquet of a powerful Knight of Ozem.


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie frowns deep at Krent's refusal to believe her. She's not comfortable with pretending to be someone that she isn't, especially with someone clearly in a fragile mental state. Nevertheless, she gets the idea that further protestations won't be well-received. At the very least, she has stated the truth and can answer his question truthfully, as herself.

"I walked. I was by myself. I'm done talking about that now."

Kyrie sits down on the ground in front of him. "I saw you at the bar. I would like to know what you saw there."


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 10

Kyrie: You think this man is mentally ill and genuinely confused, rather than refusing to believe you. You're not sure exactly how, though.

Krent sits down, too. Walked? Would've been a lot easier for us to fall down over there, instead of coming back here. Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live. I can't believe you made it. I saw you… your… what happened to the patrol…

He begins shaking again and upends the bottle, swallowing a few drops. Last night? Saw a bottle with my name on it, don't recall much else. And I'm not sorry about it, not this time and not anymore, Talmore. He looks defiantly at Kyrie and upends the empty bottle again. He throws it at the side of the ditch, where it ineffectually plops in the dirt.

Heard shouting, crashing — you know, somewhat like in the fighting — then dark… He looks around the ditch. Seems I didn't even make it back home. He realizes he's missing a boot. He locates it near the bottle and hunches over it, trying to conceal his actions as shakes it out, producing a silver holy symbol of Iomedae. Sure it's safe, he places it back inside the boot and slips it on. Kyrie easily sees through his pathetic attempt at Deception.

Krent tries to stand but stumbles a little. They're here. They are coming to finish the survivors off. I know where. I see the dead lights in a certain old house. Faces. Will you help me, old friend?

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Though the ledgers don't reveal any secrets to Cai Fen's bleary eyes, he does find himself enjoying shooting ideas back and forth with the hobgoblin detective.

To think that Amora would kill Bort with the very recipe he sought so fervently. We may be dealing with a depraved and devious mind.

and

From what you told me, Hallod left well before the food was prepared. But he does seem to have that Phinnick fellow wrapped around his little finger...

and

I read this tale once where the entire town was a cult, and they ALL did it. We must have carefulness and trust no one.


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G'nak lets go of one ear and begins pulling on the other as he considers Cai's ideas.

"No doubt we're dealing with someone depraved. Murderers always are. But this wouldn't be the first time I've matched wits with a devious mind. Just the first time I've had to go it alone, no offense to present company.

"Phinick could be an accomplice, but poison is awfully subtle for a goblin. And besides, he's too short.

"Thing is, reagents could mean anything. What we gotta do is follow the gold. If Bort was being paid large sums for his deliveries, where was that money coming from? Ain't no one in this town seems that rich. Unless..."

G'nak let's go of his ear, and snaps a finger.

"Unless, that money was coming from the cup of vinegar in the center of town, and the reagents were for some kind of cure. Which could mean Bort was killed for helping the folks of Plaguestone, and someone is out there trying to put a stop to it. But who would want that?"


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

The leshy disappears for a while, their interest in local agriculture getting the best of them. Not that they show no interest in the mystery — their research takes them to the farm of Trin's brother.

Wood raps on wood lovingly, but loud enough for residents to hear.

"Hello?"


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Marula hears a man scream on the side of the house — they see a man in overalls run by… he's followed by an angry boar! It looks like he's running around the house in circles. Trin opens a window on the second floor and shouts down to Marula: Please… save Marny!

It looks like Marny is quick, and Marula has about a minute to do something.


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie tries to tell herself that at least she can cross off Krent as a potential suspect, but seeing one of her fellow knights broken so fully leaves her deeply troubled. Who else amongst the people she knew in Vigil were battered and broken like Krent? She does not write his words as ramblings and raves, though. At the hospital in Vigil, she learned everyone is worth listening to; some people just take more listening than others. Whatever oddness he may have noticed could be of use.

”I would like to know where the dead lights are, the faces. I have companions who can help me take care of them. I want you to stay. I want you to know I will take care of them so you can rest.”


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Fragrant, calming aromas flow out as Marula approaches the boar.

"Marny! Let's be friends!
What need have you for anger?
There, there, calm yourself."

Diplomacy / Wild Empathy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Marula:

The boar stops, snuffling at Marula's leaves and quivering with anger.

Marny, the human who was being chased and probably Trin’s brother, comes around the corner and whispers: Thank you! Now, you hold him still like that — I'll go get the ol' sickle, while he ain't lookin'… Marny begins sneaking away.

----

Kyrie:

Krent nods eagerly. I'll show you, Talmore! That's right. All I want is rest. I'll show you, then we'll go back to the inn. And then I can rest.

He shows Kyrie a one-storied house at a dead end.

Verdant Wheel

Male NG Elf Sorcerer Champion of Erastil | HP 24/24 | AC 20 | Class DC 19 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +7 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Pebble Potshot +9 1d4+4, Melee: Longsword +7 1d8+2 Active conditions: None

Guyzer begins looking for his companions back at the inn. Seeing no one around he heads to the wagons where he finds G'nak and Cai.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

At the wagon, Guyzer likely stumbles into a spirited discussion of motives and means.

G'nak wrote:
"Unless, that money was coming from the cup of vinegar in the center of town, and the reagents were for some kind of cure. Which could mean Bort was killed for helping the folks of Plaguestone, and someone is out there trying to put a stop to it. But who would want that?"

But the plague has burned itself out some time ago, yet the deliveries have been continuing. I am also not understanding why these deliveries were made in such secrecy, even from the other members of the caravan.


Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Marula shakes his head at Marny.

"There's no need to kill.
I'll help you protect your farm.
Would that make you pleased?"

The leshy smiles at the boar. Pheromones pour out as they shoo it away.

"Go now, angry one.
Leave this poor family be.
The forest will feed you."

Diplomacy / Wild Empathy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Marny shakes his head. The wild boar gives him a glare, and he drops the scythe and runs inside, slamming the door behind!

Trin meets Marula in the back yard. Thank you. Perhaps we can learn… she gives the house a look. Some of us, at least. That old Boar and him have been goin' at it for years. They hate each other! We call her Grendel.

Marula finds out that she spent most of her night going back and forth between the kitchen and tables. Her memory after getting hit is fuzzy. She does not recall seeing anyone near the food who should not have been — that being Amora cooking it, and Phinick plating it.

----

It's now early afternoon and you haven't slept the night before. You have not slept since the morning you fought the wolves, in fact. Everyone is fatigued. It may be a good time to return to the inn and discuss what you have discovered — and perhaps catch up on some sleep! Like it or not, you need to rest.

You all make your way back to the inn. Delma is tending bar. So, find anything interesting?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Polygamodioecious | Notes | Druid 3 | Stats | HP 35/35 | AC 17 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +11| Perc: +11

Marula offers some advice for the siblings before they depart.

"A wolfhound may help.
Or thorny hedges could serve
To keep the sow out."

The leshy asks Trin about the family's approach to farming, offering suggestions where relevant that may help boost their soil's long term health.

Returning to the inn, they recount their conversation with the siblings.

"No one touched the food
Save Phinick and Amora.
But magic's tricky."

Feeling weary, Marula looks for a nice patch of soil. Sinking roots in, tenderly entwining with those of a nearby ash tree and the mycelia surrounding them. Warmth. Greetings. Allegiance.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

As the group begins to fill her in, Cai Fen watches Delma closely. He wonders if her interest is genuine or a cover for something else.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 15

Cai:
Delma seems genuinely interested.


NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

Without revealing too much to Delma, G'nak asks her if she knows anyone in town who's name begins with the letter H. He asks if anyone is still suffering from the plague. He also asks who the wealthiest townsfolk are.

Do we know if Bort had a large sum of money from the latest delivery?


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 6

Delma shrugs. First, middle, or surname? Probably dozens of "H"'s in or around town.

Her eyes widen at the mention of the plague. What!? No plague in twenty years! Don't you DARE go around sayin' that sort of thing! Are you looking to cause a panic? What's wrong with you?

Yes, Bort was paid fairly well for this delivery.


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie raises her hand and waits patiently for someone to call upon her. When someone does, or a sufficient break in the conversation appears, she stands, her eyes down towards the floor. ”I would like to mention the results of my investigation. I believe Krent is legitimately suffering from a mental break and can be crossed off as a suspect. Krent believes that some sort of undead have taken up in a one-storied house at a dead end. I think it may be worth looking into.”

Dark Archive

Botting Guyzer to move us along!

Guyzer fills you on his investigation too, showing everyone the vial and discussing the need for Rosemary bushes for your horses. Side quest, available to do whenever you want your horses to stop suffering. No pressure.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

Delma says you can stay at the inn for a discounted 2SP per day if you help her with chores in the inn, and help take care of her father, Mayor Targen Fulst.

Targen has trouble remembering things nowadays. Sadly, he's so far gone that it's even difficult for him to remember who his own daughter is (he sometimes refers to her as Reganna, his long-passed wife). Targen does remember that the entire Fulst family is related to the town's founder, Etran Bolmere. He's quite proud of that fact.

If you do not wish to help with chores, you may pay 5 SP per day or camp out elsewhere.


Fall of the Plaguestone & Casefiles of Smokeworker G'nak | Siege of Gallowspire | Lions of Katapesh | Flooded King's Court

You spend the night at the inn (or elsewhere if you so choose). It is now the second morning after Bort's death. You have had a full night's rest. No more fatigue!

The next morning, Delma approaches you.

Phinick isn't back yet. He's usually back the night after a fight. Can you keep an eye out for him?

Please let me know where you'd like to go next! You have a couple of side quests (rosemary collection and looking into the undead, as well as the investigation). Once two people concur on a place to go we will move the party to that location.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Swash 3 / AC 20 / Character Page

Cai Fen reluctantly digs out his last silver from his pouch and lays it onto the counter. He then dons an apron and helps mop the floor after the evening rush.

In his downtime he's going to sit at a side table with his medical kit and practice taking things out and placing them back at an increasing speed. His inability to save Bort in time is clearly still bothering him, but perhaps next time he won't be caught so off guard.
probably going to take battle medicine at L2 in case we need some clutch healing

Next morning Cai Fen works through his daily exercises and suggests looking for the rosemary while it's still bright and early outside and swinging by the putative ghost house of undead on the way back to the inn.


F Human Champion/3

Kyrie agrees with Cai’s suggested order of errands. The sleep hit her hard and heavy and she is slow to wake up in the morning. Her usual routine of stretches, exercises, prayers, and reading a passage of The Acts helps somewhat, but she is certain she could easily sleep hours longer were it not for the investigation.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Hobgoblin Alchemist Detective G'nak details | HP 26/26 | AC 19 | Class DC 17 | F: +7, R: +10, W: +4 | Perc: +4 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Crossbow +4 1d8, Melee: Morningstar +4 1d6 Active conditions: None

G’nak, not used to such posh lodgings keeps his two silver and camps in the town square.
In the morning, as he prepares his daily reagents, and steals with bombs to his chest, an idea comes to him, as they often do in the quiet times, while his mind is occupied with busy work.

He writes on a piece of paper:

Missing delivery found amongst the now deceased Bort’s things. Intended for mister or misses H. To claim please contact G’nak, the hobgoblin alchemist camping in the center of town. Please bring proper identification.

He then posts the note to the community board at the Inn.

If I can’t find ‘em, maybe I can bring ‘em to me, he thinks

201 to 250 of 1,060 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's The Fall of Plaguestone All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.