Hells Rebels

Game Master Daniel Penfold 351

In the city of Kintargo, there are those who seek to overthrow House Thrune.

The Proclamations

Treasure List

Notes

Maps

images


1,201 to 1,250 of 1,415 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>

Pellius and Adonara, you find a secret panel in one wall of the chamber with a button behind it.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 3/4 Lvl 2: 1/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

Pellius goes to the secret panel and presses the button.

"I think we found what we are looking for. Best faces on, folks... curtain rises any minute now."


Ryker, we'll introduce you after this bit- if that's ok

This seven foot high vault contains over three dozen humanoid shaped bundles of sailcloth, each wrapped tightly, sewn shut with heavy thread, and laid respectfully side by side on the cold stone floor. A shallow pool of water lies in the southeast corner, while in the northeast corner of the room someone has set up camp.

Standing in the room is a man in plate armour with a shaved head and carrying a halberd.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Maudlin purple prose:
While Kira and Pellius start looking around, Adonara concentrates on her prayers. Kneeling, she starts by feeling her way to the powers she imagines Senex was drawn to, then conscientiously chases her inspiration towards asking that the Hellknight lictor be safe and see the sense of allying with the Ravens, then that Captain Sargaeta and all those resisting the tyranny of Hell’s minions ride the sea easy and free, before turning to her deepest, personal prayers.

How easily the rise and fall of the traditional elegiac prayer she chooses comes to her wrenches her heart all the more bitterly, and Adonara focuses on the statue of the saint as she tries to concentrate on working through a request for the saint’s intercession with her own goddess. After all, as she told the keepers of the shrine, it makes sense: the saint’s light on the shore to Calistria’s flame and her passion. Help me bring her back, she pleads. It wasn’t her time. Help me guard her as you guard the tides. Help all of us – lover, sailor, knight – singers and scholars – all the people of the city, through the storms and the waves that threaten to overwhelm us.

Does she really see the incongruous spot on the wall through the sheen that threatens to drop over into actual tears just a moment before Pellius points it out? Even if she does, is it really more than her trained senses eventually picking up on the environment’s gentle hints? Of course, she thinks, and feels a ghostly shade of Via’s remembered approval, coincidence does not preclude acknowledging providence.

Pulling herself together, Adonara blinks fiercely to clear her eyes, as she brings her prayers softly to a thoughtful close. She rises as quietly as she can and, leaving the candles burning to carry up the last echoes of her devotions, moves silently to follow the others, with only a glance back at the entrance to make sure they’re not too obviously poking about where they shouldn’t.


"Those who seek Octavio Sabinus have found him. His safe capture, however, is no certain thing."

Make a notoriety roll please.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Pausing at the end of the passage with the others, Adonara joins the silent standoff, taking in the macabre surroundings, and tries to compare the inmate’s armour against what she knows of the refreshingly fashionable habit of Hellknights to style their armour according to their particular order of “chivalry.”

Is he really living in here? It’s a morbid thought even by her standards, until Sabinus breaks the silence with his wary introduction. Deliberately recalling happier – or at least more amusing – memories than those she’s held close a few minutes ago, Adonara indulges a wicked smile, grateful, however, that the activities of her and her friends are a comparatively small part of the danger of a city bridling under an ambitious tyrant.

Notoriety, trying to roll over 3(%): 1d100 ⇒ 92 Easy peasy. :) Shall we try to smooth the way further? Oh, do let's.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 +4, if her obedience applies, etc.

"And he has found the Silver Ravens," the priestess replies easily. "We're here for rescue, not capture: in fact, we thought you might be interested in our plans to liberate those of your fellow knights currently wrongfully imprisoned in the city."


"You are the Silver Ravens, are you not? You are certainly hopeful idealists, but in my experience, passionate revolutionaries lack discipline. Like my cousin, you have good hearts, but it takes more than heart to stand up for what's right. If I'm to throw in with the Silver Ravens, I need two things. First, I need to know that my surviving armigers are safe. Second, I need to know you can exercise subtlety and work at least partially within the bounds of the law to solve problems when such an option exists. As it so happens, this is a perfect chance for you to accomplish both goals."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara stifles the urge to raise a pointed eyebrow, pout prettily, or sigh theatrically at the mention of the law, which she imagines must really mean order, here, or stuffiness. She suspects that a Hellknight’s idea of what counts as “standing up” is just considerably more rigid than her own. Still, this is not the time for a debate on strategy, and she did promise to play nice, so.

“A positive argent unkindness,” she agrees amiably, “at least as far as the Thrice-Damned House is concerned. To good-hearted folk, we are an entirely agreeable conspiracy.”

OOC folkloric digression:
Believe it or not, I gather a “conspiracy” is an uncommon (regional?) alternative to the collective noun for ravens. The mind boggles at the elaboration of fakelore.

“As to your needs, pray continue: I’m all ears. I can assure you, however, that we pride ourselves on finesse and subtlety – as Thrune’s trained puppy Nox would be able to tell you –” she can’t resist the opportunity to pause to gloat, referring to the Ravens’ latest exploit, before going on, “and we don’t oppose the law as a matter of general principle.”

She is happy to speak for the group on the point, exploiting rather fine distinctions between local, customary, and moral laws and law in the most abstract, and in any case she has few objections to bare-faced falsehood – not that Sabinus needs to know that. By now, she is very definitely enjoying this. She ends her preliminaries to negotiations with a glittering lure, as any courtesan might.

“Also, we already have a tentative plan for smuggling your armigers out of the city, at least once we break them free of the jail where they’re being held. We were hoping to tempt you into lending your strength to the endeavour, to whatever extent you can.”


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 7/8, (2nd) 2/4

"It depends on what law you speak of," Kira adds, rather firmly for the small gnome. "Kintargan law, yes, we seek to stay within that as much as possible. Thrune's bastardization of those laws, which would name us criminals for not immediately turning you over...those I do not follow." She smiles thinly. "Given your current status, it seems that situation is familiar to you."

She tilts her head slightly. "But, as Adonora mentioned, subtlety we have. We don't want to cause any more chaos than we must. We want to help people like yourself, Octavio Sabinus. And your men. So please, tell us. What can we do for you?"


"I do not know what has happened to my armigers. I suspect that they are being held in the Holding House. If you are able to engineer their freedom then I would be in a position where I would be more willing to act openly against Thrune and I would join you.

I can tell you that the Order of the Torrent were investigating rumours that Lord Mayor Bainilus didn't actually flee the city as the government claims. I believe she's been imprisoned or worse by Barzillai Thrune. It didn't help that I took offence, quite publicly , at our lord mayor's recruitment of the Order of the Rack as additional guards. The man spins webs like a spider, though I can't decipher his design yet. Whatever his reason I've come to believe it bodes ill for all of Kintargo.

That being said it may be useful if you can find more people to aid you, at the moment I cannot do that, it would make the position too public and would be likely to cause the death of the armigers."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

“We have reason to believe that your spider is searching for as much information about or even as many parts of the Book of the Damned as he can, whatever else he’s doing. It would be a coup for dynastic machinations, certainly, but it’s both ambitious and dangerous, regardless, for the city, the archduchy, and beyond,” Adonara considers.

“Fortunately, we know what to do with spiders,” she says, alluding cryptically, in the best Calistrian fashion, to the habits of several varieties of wasps.

“More immediately, we’ll certainly keep our eyes out for hints of what’s become of the rightful mayor, while we work on freeing your comrades. As to them, where should we send them once we succeed?”

“Also,” she adds, her eyes sparkling with mischief, “it occurs to me that a leader of the Order of the Torrent might be well-placed to satisfy my curiosity on a tangentially-related matter. Would you happen to know how ... alert the Chelish Navy might be, how quick to respond to unexpected signals from one of its own vessels? We could orchestrate matters in absolute secrecy, but showing off a successful deception might inspire Kintargo with the knowledge that Thrune can be out-maneuvered. If we were to…”

Whatever you do, don’t say ‘steal’ to a Hellnight, Adonara reminds herself. Or ‘suborn.’ Hire? Recruit? “… requisition a swift ship of the line, how far would we have to be from shore before it would be safe to, say, hoist some suggestive colours?”

If that's audacious - outrageous! - that's kind of Adonara's whole deal. ;) At least, when she's not lurking in the shadows.


"The majority of the navy has gone pirate hunting in the shackles at the moment as far as I am aware. The remaining ships are not crewed by the brightest members. If they receive unexpected signals it would probably take them somewhere near 10 to 15 minutes to investigate.

Once you have rescued the armigers send them here, its far enough out of town to be safe and besides we have this secret chamber."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara tilts her head thoughtfully to one side, as if to make sure to let the suggestions settle. That gives us something to work with, if we do end up requiring the captain’s good offices.

“Thank you, sir. That’s certainly food for thought, but rest assured that we won’t put your people to any more risk than the best, carefullest escape plan would demand. It will probably take us a couple of days to arrange matters, but hopefully you’ll be greeting your armigers very soon indeed.”

With that, her glance flickers to the others in a silent question as to whether she’s forgetting something important.


"I thank you for your assistance in this matter."


Is there anything else you want to ask Octavio or are we good to return to the coffee house.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

With a nod, Adonara takes her leave. In the main area of the shrine, seeing her candles still burning brightly in front of the statue compounds her hope raised by the recent interview, which she decides to take as a good omen for all her projects and prayers. She reaches down to hold her hand where the warmth of the flames can just reach it, adding a coda to her prayers as possibilities whirl through her mind.

Predictably, her thoughts keep running to her constant, most private longings, along channels she hopes the saint and the gods together open that little bit further, even as she considers what it will take to get Kintargo reasonably safe again. I’ll get you back, Via, I promise. No matter how long it takes. After all, if, when the dust settles, Adonara can use her share of whatever comes out of humiliating, despoiling, and banishing Thrune to return another agent of chaos to the world, that would be a fitting last twist of the knife.

I think we’re good to go.


Heading back to the coffee house you see two new patrons. One is a human carrying a greatsword, the other is an elf with long blonde hair.

Ryker and Valekar you can introduce your characters now."


N Male Human Slayer 4 HP: 38/42 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 CMD: 21 | F+7 R+7 W+3 | Init +2 | Perception +8
Tracked Resources:
None

A well-built man in a purple cloak sits at a table in the back corner, giving him a view of the whole floor of the coffee house. A cold cup of coffee languishes on the table in front of him. Should have been here by now. Wonder if their latest job did them in. It'd be a shame, but not the first time a potential employer died after calling for me.

From the moment you walk in, his eyes are on you. Like a farmer appraising his cattle, he obviously sizes each of you up before bothering to get up. I can see why they'd need someone like me. I don't think any of them could handle a real fight. Better than the other way round. Would mean I'm the expendable one.

With confident, yet calculated, strides, he closes the gap. "Someone in your group put out the word that you could used some hired muscle. I've arrived to meet the need," he explains briefly to the closest one. "You want to talk terms here or somewhere else?"


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike

In another corner sits Valekar. He gives the group an appraising look as they come in. He tenses upright as the other well-armed patron approaches them, and remains tense, watching warily, a frown on his face that slowly relaxes as Ryker's body language confirms he doesn't have violent intentions. As they stand and talk, he eventually approaches. Or if they move to go to a backroom he intercepts them before they go in. Either way, he tries to get the attention of just one of them and then gain a private audience, away from Ryker.

"Laria tells me we may have some important things in common. Can I speak privately with you and your friends?"

In private, some of his tension drains, although he remains wary around Ryker. "My name is Valekar Duilgelion. I want to see that Thrune bastard gone. My mother went missing in the Night of Ashes and I have come to fear the worst. My father" he leans in close "I am quite sure, was a Silver Raven. He disappeared when I was young, and my mother and I always believed he was dead. I've long tried to emulate him in every way I can. I have much to offer you, if you will allow me to join you." He pauses, waiting expectantly.

I had envisioned his mother as one of the Sacred Order of Archivists, but I see they typically followed Irori. I hadn't envisioned his mother that way, so I'm not sure if she was part of that order or not. But she was a similar type of archivist, gathering and studying information that the current regime would rather see left unknown

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara breezes into the coffeehouse eager for the hubbub of conviviality in the background to take some of the edge off preparing for the Ravens’ next jailbreak. Before she can quite decide how she wants her coffee, though, the group’s approached by the man who’s watched them since they entered.

She assesses the man with an equally frank gaze, before grinning broadly at the directness of his last remark.

Ryker Grimes wrote:
With confident, yet calculated, strides, he closes the gap. "Someone in your group put out the word that you could used some hired muscle. I've arrived to meet the need," he explains briefly to the closest one. "You want to talk terms here or somewhere else?"

“Now there’s a question I’m usually on the other end of,” the courtesan quips. The fellow’s reference to muscle, though, lets Adonara guess the situation, and she glibly offers starting terms in phrasing that would not offend any listening Thrune sympathizers’ ears, “Equal share of the profits after the company’s operating costs, possibilities for advancement in exciting times.”

Before she can start more serious negotiations, she spots another newcomer out of the corner of her eye as he approaches quietly. His wariness is interesting, and excusing herself for a moment with an apologetic gesture to the mercenary, hears the other mention Laria in his introduction.

Valekar Duilgelion wrote:
"Laria tells me we may have some important things in common. Can I speak privately with you and your friends?"

Her glance finding the proprietor across the crowded room, Adonara’s questioning look is met with a discreet nod. What, both of them? Our lucky day, I suppose.

She turns from one to the other to include the pair in her next remark. “Well, if Laria vouches for you, gentlemen, it seems we have much to discuss.”

Unless anyone objects to making confidences too quickly, just to get you guys comfy without unnecessary delay:
With that, she leads the way into the back of the coffeehouse and below to continue the interview. In the tunnels of the Wasp’s Nest, in the room opening out onto the cistern with its tiny island of a statue of Calistria, Adonara takes up position, a priestess in state, inasmuch as secrecy permits. One of these days I will have to get someone to move that somewhere more suitable.

She lets the atmosphere of the de facto heretical chapel sink in for a minute before asking the inevitable awkward question, though her own voice rings with defiance. “Tell me, what brings you to risk the wrath of Hell and Thrune for the freedom of Kintargo?”

(Valekar, we can take it that your formal introduction came here, or we can have it out again if you want to play a bit more caginess around a bunch of strangers. :) )


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 7/8, (2nd) 2/4

Kira isn't particularly surprised by the strangers, although she is surprised that Laria seems to have recommended them to be part of the core group. They've had a number of mercenaries, rumor-mongers, and the occasional rabble-rouser come through the Wasp's Nest, but no real leaders.

And Desna knows they need some. Kira is still more a scholar than a rebel, and she knows it. Besides, there's only so much three people can do.

"My name is Kira," she says, politely nodding at the newcomers, although her face falls slightly at Valekar's tale. "My father is missing as well. It's, well, it's not the only reason I'm here, but it is the main reason I joined. I pray we find both of them safe, but I too fear the worst."

I'm fine handwaving paranoid secrecy with a general 'Laria recommended them, so they're cool.'


N Male Human Slayer 4 HP: 38/42 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 CMD: 21 | F+7 R+7 W+3 | Init +2 | Perception +8
Tracked Resources:
None

Ryker silently follows as he is lead underground. Subterranean hideout, blasphemous faith to the rulers, this is some storybook-level rebellion they've got.

Not in the habit of waiting his turn, he speaks up first. "Mercenaries who've worked for you before have skipped town. Specifically, mercenaries who are the closest thing to friends I have. They told me about what's going on above, so this job will be personally fulfilling as well. Vengeance. Something you're clearly familiar with" he explains, throwing a glance at the statue to Calistria. "An equal share will do," he adds at the end, completing the conversation started in the coffeehouse.

Sensing Valekar's unease, he stares him down briefly before finding a place to sit and sort through his things. He's like a sentient pillow. Standing near him was too much. As long as he doesn't try to screw me over, I'll leave him be.
________
Just fyi, it is pretty clear at this point that Ryker is intentionally leaving out/not bringing up names, including his own.


Going to let this play out for a bit to allow you to rp


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike

Valekar followed Adonara down the stairs, my gut, and my sources, better be right about Laria. This could be a trap.

He doesn't seem to relax much as he shares his proclamation of identity and intention (see my last post).

He clinches his jaw at Kira's words. Too many families disrupted by this regime! This one at least I may be able to trust.

As the mercenary speaks up again, he turns his attention to the man. This one, though... is it too convenient that he shows up right when I did? I'll keep an eye on him, but if Laria and these lot can trust him then I can at least work with him.

"It seems you accept me here as one of yours? Good. What are we doing next? How are we working our way to the heart or head of this beast?"

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara listens to the new men’s stories: they are unsurprisingly unhappy ones, and she muses that if Thrune’s plots are like a spider’s web, he is also cutting great swathes through Kintargan society that are most unlike any weaver’s work.

“There will be retribution,” she promises.

“Too many have lost family and friends already to the Thrice-Damned House’s machinations, over years,” she continues, her glance flickering between the other elf and the human, silently noting the tension in the air. I suppose they have reason to worry, and they weren’t thrown together after the first protests like we others were. Hopefully they’ll warm to one another and the wider cause after some good work.

“But even setting aside the important question of our Thrune’s personal power, temporarily, he is a representative of the current balance of power in all Cheliax. We need to gather strength not only to oust him, but to deflect the next ambitious tyrant who comes along. Not just to free Kintargo, but to help her keep herself free. After all, sometimes - as they say - living well is the best revenge.”

The good humour she cultivates both for her own sanity and for professional purposes bubbles up irrepressibly before too long even in the midst of serious planning. “We have some few supporters already, and are reaching out to others. Just this moment, we might be in a position to do a good turn to the Hellknight Order of the Torrent, currently accused of nonsense. *Cheekily.* (If they were at all seditiously inclined, I’d hope some of us would know.) Not my first choice, candidly, but we’re not really in a position. We have a good idea of where they’re currently being held, so some discreet observation is probably in order. As to getting them safely out of the city, we might have a ship, but we’ll only be sure in another day.”


N Male Human Slayer 4 HP: 38/42 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 CMD: 21 | F+7 R+7 W+3 | Init +2 | Perception +8
Tracked Resources:
None

Ryker nods his head as Adonara speaks, his hands working an oiled cloth into the handle of his sword. "Reconnaissance sounds like the right move here. Hellknights though? Never heard of the Torrent. They better than the ones that burn books and steal people from their homes?" he asks bluntly, looking at the Elf with a raised eyebrow, his hands temporarily frozen. Strange times lead to strange bedfellows. Springing incarcerated Hellknights loose will be a first on my resume, that's for sure.

"What do we know already? Casing the place, especially with some fresh faces," he says, clearly meaning Valekar and himself, "should keep it relatively safe. Can't know we are threats already unless there is a spy in our midst. You have a wizard hiding around with the magic to conjure a ship?" he asks with a small smirk. Indebted Hellknights are probably more useful in the city than out, but I'm not going to pretend to know the intricacies of the Kintargan situation.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara summarizes what she knows, first, though it’s frustratingly little. “Honestly, I don’t know too much about the Torrent either. They seem to be some sort of bounty hunters, more or less, and definitely on the wrong side of the orders fawning before the so-called powers of Hell. Some of the Torrent’s leaders have a connection to a local saint they say spent her life recovering those lost at sea, which might be a good sign. The latest rumours that they’re actually a Norgorberite thieves’ guild, though, seem more like Thrune sowing suspicion and slander.”

She speaks almost with grudging admiration, as someone deeply appreciative of what can be done with a well-placed rumour or innuendo, before continuing, “More practically, we know we’ve around at most a dozen or so people held, aptly enough, in the Holding House, now that the old jail has been repurposed as a pen for prisoners until they can be disappeared somewhere else. Mostly armigers, not ranking knights, which is probably a relief, given what that says for the demands of keeping them under lock and key, and so the resistance we can expect. For what it’s worth, there is word that some sort of fiend is on hand to extract information from the prisoners.”

“As to a ship – I’m afraid we’ve yet to win over a wizard powerful enough, but we do have a less enthusiastic (positively jaded, really) captain of the queen’s navy who’s frustrated with the absurd new regulations marshalled against him. He’s mulling over whether giving us short passage as part of expressing his displeasure when he leaves port is a risk he’s willing to take.”


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike

Valekar tilts his head to the side at the plan to rescue hellknights. "That... is not what I expected as the next step. Very well. The Holding House. I think I know it. Shall we scout it this moment, or wait until nightfall?" He seems eager to take action.


N Male Human Slayer 4 HP: 38/42 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 CMD: 21 | F+7 R+7 W+3 | Init +2 | Perception +8
Tracked Resources:
None

I'll take that over confirmed cases of burning at the stake and torture," Ryker admits, now making sure the straps on his armor are in good condition and proper alignment. Got to get the balance just right, or it sits on your shoulders like a boulder.

"A fiend? I wager a devil, considering who we're dealing with. Silver right? Or was it cold iron? Either way, any countermeasures lying around we should bring with us? I hear holy magic works wonders, I'm sure there are arcane spells that work similarly, just not my wheelhouse."

"This Captain is the plan's lynch pin. After we case the Holding House, making sure he's willing to take the others aboard when we show up with a squadron of Armigers will be crucial," he points out.
________
Seems like we have a plan! Ready to move if everyone else is!


Ok, so moving things on

The holding house is a stone, one storey building, almost like a bunker. The walls feature no windows and appear to be made of reinforced masonry. The gently sloped roof has slate shingles. Outside the main door are two guards,


Map updated.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Ugh. Sorry for doing all the talking. TL;DR for the spoiler below: shall we have Kira and Pellius do the talking to set up the sting – just trying to get a sense of who’s in there, what resistance we’re going to face, so we can best prepare?
Meanwhile, Ryker and Valekar sneak around, look for additional entrances, watchwords, the usual stake-out stuff with Stealth and Perception, checks?
And maybe Adonara can try a Diplomacy check to gather information from local businesses patronized by off-duty guards? Again, numbers (X guards to a shift), weaknesses (i.e., Y is this close to always running late for his shift, Lord High Z is scheduled to visit…), etc.
Anyone gets bored, we meet up with Kira and Pellius and kick in the door, but ideally this round is just for snooping, until our pirate navy friend contacts us?

The plan, in character, at length :) :

Valekar Duilgelion wrote:
Valekar tilts his head to the side at the plan to rescue hellknights. "That... is not what I expected as the next step. Very well. The Holding House. I think I know it. Shall we scout it this moment, or wait until nightfall?" He seems eager to take action.

“These are strange days indeed. But we have to win over hearts and minds, as well as bodies,” Adonara says – primly is not quite the word. “I’d be loath to cast aside anyone we’re not absolutely sure scorns mercy, not least because it would show that we act for all Kintargans, not just those clever enough to agree with us.”

That allies of convenience used to heavy armour and taking orders but that she has no strong affection for will also be helpful if, goddess forfend, things ever come to street fighting is a more cynical idea she keeps to herself. Instead, she chimes in with additional suggestions and reminders as the group makes its way to scout out the Holding House.

“Silver for devils, but we know Thrune’s agents aren’t above summoning the more malicious sort of urban fey, so cold iron is also useful.” When the jail is still just a low shape at the end of the street, she pauses to check in one last time. “Right. For now, we’re here for reconnaissance. We might be able to hide away a dozen fugitives for a day or two if we have to while we decide how to smuggle them out of the city, but if we can wait until we know if we’ve got transport, so much the better. That said, if anyone spots something while we’re snooping around that calls for immediate intervention, raise bloody hell, and we’ll make the best of it.”

She considers the new recruits, a gleam in her eye as she recalls the Ravens’ past exploits. “Backdoors can be useful, and we need to get an idea of to-ings and fro-ings, passwords, signals, guards’ routines… If you two want to take a look and watch a bit, that would be lovely. Feel free to pry as closely as feels prudent, of course.”

“Pellius, Kira - you can talk circles around anyone, I know. Whatever you can tease or trick out of the officers on duty, anyone at the commander's office, will definitely be useful. For my part, I’ll see if any of them spends their off-duty hours and coin in the neighbourhood, lips preferably loosened by a pot of ale with their dinner. The Tooth and Nail is nearby, isn’t it? Anyway, in the first instance, we regroup with Pellius and Kira, otherwise, if all goes well, at my flat before curfew?”

If that sounds like a plan, here’s a roll for gathering any information from businesses around the jail. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike

Valekar agrees to the plan, but asks for directions to Adonara's flat.

At a discreet distance, Valekar ducks into an alley and then tries to sneak up for a better look.

taking 10 on stealth to have a look at the other sides of the building, either from the top of a nearby building or from the top of the building itself
The goal is to get an understanding of the physical layout of the thing and then find a good perch to watch for patterns

stealth, acp: 10 + 12 - 1 = 21

Valekar has a scroll of blend he may use if the guards seem particularly wary


Is that the plan you are going with?


N Male Human Slayer 4 HP: 38/42 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 CMD: 21 | F+7 R+7 W+3 | Init +2 | Perception +8
Tracked Resources:
None

GM, that plan sounds good to Ryker!

Ryker remains silent as Adonara elaborates on her plan and expectations, nodding occasionally. He pauses a moment to listen for directions to Adonara's flat, then walks away.

He meanders around the area, consulting a map multiple times. Turning it this way, then that, squinting at any street signs and landmarks, before looking at the map in exasperation. Despite his "aimless" walking, he does a full, albeit slow, lap around the compound.

Throwing his hands up in defeat, he forcefully folds the map and shoves it into his pack before taking a seat at the nearest bench. Time to wait and see what happens with the guards!

Pulling several sheets of folded paper from his pack, he unfolds one and consults the map within, before refolding it and setting it back in his pack. That was a good dungeon! The Gibbering Mouther in there was exceptionally foul. If it wasn't for Hayden, I'd surely have been aberration s$!$ by now. Ah! The fight over here was...
________
Perception vs Compound: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
If there is no bench/place with outdoor seating/etc. to sit with a view of the Holding House (ideally a side view where he can just barely see the guards), he'll lean up against a tree or something. Basically, as long as he isn't awkwardly out of place for hanging out there for a while, that'd be good enough for him.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 7/8, (2nd) 2/4

Kira nods in response to Adonara's plan. She's a little concerned with how many plans seem to rely on her ability to lie well, (and terrified of messing it up), but it's been working so far.

"I'm not sure we should go in threatening an inspection. There's only so many times the same trick can work." She looks critically at Pellius. "A grieving nobleman seeking an old friend...no, never mind. Terrible idea, forget I ever had it. Perhaps newspaper reporters, seeking to do a story on how Thrune's best agents have captured a major threat? Complete with interviews and a tour of the facility of course."

Just trying to switch things up a bit, Pellius willing.


Adonara, you head to the nearest tavern. Spending a couple of hours there you discover that the guards come here only very occasionally. You do hear that the armigers have been kept there for several weeks. There are also rumours that there is a fiend who tortures the prisoners. Its said that the easiest way to get prisoners in and out are papers that show the seal of House Thrune.

Meanwhile, Ryker you sit on a bench facing the entrance. You see that there are always 2 guards on duty outside the main door. About every 30 minutes two further guards come out from inside the building, do a quick look out of the door and then seem to be doing some kind of circuit of the interior.

Valekar you notice that the doors at B7 appear strongly locked. The nothernmost wall (B11) appears to be the main cell block and you can hear occasional muffled screams coming from the eastern wall (B12)

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6
Kira Namfoodle wrote:

"I'm not sure we should go in threatening an inspection. There's only so many times the same trick can work." She looks critically at Pellius. "A grieving nobleman seeking an old friend...no, never mind. Terrible idea, forget I ever had it. Perhaps newspaper reporters, seeking to do a story on how Thrune's best agents have captured a major threat? Complete with interviews and a tour of the facility of course."

Just trying to switch things up a bit, Pellius willing.

I like it, at least! Oooh, new life goal for Adonara: exhaust all possible pretexts for visits to Thrune installations, so they have to basically lock themselves down. “Alright, maggots, listen up! These rebels are sneaky. No one you don’t recognize gets in or out. Surprise inspection? It’s a trick. Official chroniclers? Don’t flatter yourselves. Nobles with a sob story? Also a trick. Good-time girl with a smile for you? Keep dreaming: definitely a …” Bonus points if they start burning magic to see through disguises even before we add that to the mix. :)

Daniel Penfold 357 wrote:
Adonara, you head to the nearest tavern. Spending a couple of hours there you discover that the guards come here only very occasionally. You do hear that the armigers have been kept there for several weeks. There are also rumours that there is a fiend who tortures the prisoners. Its said that the easiest way to get prisoners in and out are papers that show the seal of House Thrune.

As she does her bit to gather intelligence, Adonara slightly adjusts her manner depending on who she’s talking to. With a peddler on the street, she shares the exasperation of the tradesperson whose customers are beginning to be scared off by the suspicious attention of nosy, bored, or bullying dottari and other official ruffians.

With a hopeful passerby, she is wickedly arch, but nothing comes of the exchange apart from the joy of banter.

She has her best luck when she finds the local tavern and, a drink or two in, plays up the shrinking violet worried about the dangerous criminals held nearby, even with the brave work of the guard, etc., and ready for gallant protection. The strategy has the additional advantage of distancing her performance from her usual persona. She quickly sorts out the most promising rumours.

Keeping to themselves, then. Discipline, deference, the usual lapdog garbage. Still, good to know so we don’t blunder into the wrong cover story.

Also, I hope Pellius is up to forging a seal. Whatever we come up with, we’ll have to make a plausible someone up to gain admission.


N Male Human Slayer 4 HP: 38/42 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 CMD: 21 | F+7 R+7 W+3 | Init +2 | Perception +8
Tracked Resources:
None

...not to mention the ice flow running down the middle. Those Yeti's were something fierce, at least it wasn't snowing! They might have been bigger, but everyone could see. Oh, and this one, Aroden's balls, that was tough! Those Ettin's chased us everywhere, who knew caltrops could be such a useful diversion? Getting those little suckers out of your giant feet with giant fingers takes a loooot of focues, even for something with two heads.

Ryker waits patiently, enjoying his walk down memory lane while the others complete their tasks.
________
Can we pleeeeease do a government sanctioned newsreporter? PLEEEEEEASE?! *takes notes for use in other games* I have a forgery/deceit focused wizard that this perfect for! Love this game already :) Ryker is waiting for the sign/time limit to regroup. No rush!

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara settles as close to the door of the tavern she’s found as she can, not wanting to slink off immediately in such a way as might let a perceptive observer realize she’s most interested in information. Also, every additional person close to the jail is one more possible hint that something suspicious is going on, so… She only hopes that if the Ravens’ hand is forced, that she’s close enough to respond quickly. She’s asking a lot of her elvish ears.

In the meantime, in case the Ravens do get a ship in the next day or so and a defiant gesture isn’t too reckless, she considers which of her other contacts among her colleagues in courtesanry, harlotry, &c. specifically might be able to quickly piece together a suitable pennant to replace the Chelish ensign as the Ravens' requisitioned vessel sails away. After all, what with the curfew, more nights these past few weeks have been quieter than some are happy about, and several of them are as particular about dress and such as she is. Tanaquil is certainly skilled with a needle, and Lewilla... oh, and dear Phlox, the charming boy, knows a thing or two. We’ll have to see what they’re all up to. Hmm. Nothing too complicated, given our schedule. Perhaps per pale argent and azure, a raven stoops, counterchanged? How does pale work with a pennant, anyway?


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 7/8, (2nd) 2/4

Kira spends some time hashing out the details of the plan with Pellius. Improvisation has served them well thus far, but it's hard on the nerves. "Do you want to be the main reporter and have me be your assistant? Or the other way around? Let's see...we could work for the Kintargan Gazette, looking to write a story on the brave dottari who finally contained the terrible threat of the outlaws formally known as the Order of the Torrent..."

I'm waiting to see if Pellius wants to chime in, but if you'd like me to go ahead and move forward with that part of the plan just let me know.


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike

as a player this idea is very strange to me. I've never heard of a newspaper in Golarion. the closest thing I can think of is the Pathfinder Chronicles. I also don't think government officials in a place like this would be friendly to the press. but I'll leave it at that. carry on


Every time you guys plan stuff like this I'm reminded of the Mission Impossible tv series

Re Newspaper - there probably wouldn't be an official one as such but there would be a basic way of getting information to the people, although heavily censored of course.

I'll give Pellius some time to chime in, in case he wants to add any refinements.


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike

what's up with the door at B1?


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike

so basically we are seeing what info Pellius and Kira can gather, then meeting back somewhere else to plan our "attack"


How do you mean Valekar?


[i]Kira and Pellius head to the main doors where two guards stand outside. As they come close one of the guards steps forward slightly and says.

"Hold, citizens, what is your business here?"


Male N Elf Magus (Eldritch Archer, Hexcrafter) 4 | HP 19 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | CMB +4, CMD 18 | F: +4, R: +6, W: +5; immune to sleep; +2 vs. enchantments | Init: +4 | Perc: +9, SM: +0, low-light vision | Speed 35ft | Arcane Pool: 7, Ranged Spellstrike
Valekar Duilgelion wrote:
so basically we are seeing what info Pellius and Kira can gather, then meeting back somewhere else to plan our "attack"

there was supposed to be a question mark at the end. just double checking the plan


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 3/4 Lvl 2: 1/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

OK, think I have caught up.

Prior to our most recent caper:

For once, Pellius has been silent for a long time, almost brooding. The events of the past few weeks clearly seemed to have been weighing on his mind, though he does not give voice to it. When introduced to their new companions, the bard merely nods and says, "Pellius Aulamaxa. You might have heard of me, you might not have. Glad to have you with us, I am sure. We have... lost too many along the way. Not to combat, thankfully, but the desire to keep this thing going long term... it is not easy. It is easy to get burned out as, despite your best efforts to put out Thrune's fires... more just keep popping up. And, often, worse than the previous ones. It is... taxing." The singer shakes his head. "I will leave it at that. Adonara, I will trust your judgment on how to proceed. I... need a moment to myself before we go though." Shaking his head, he starts singing a tune to himself as he goes to compose himself better.

Damn it, Lodi boy. I understand, trust me... but it was your insistence that brought me into this mess... who's strength will I rely upon now?

At the entrance:

For record, I kinda envision him acting kinda... like this though toned down a bit.

Pellius gives the guard his best subservient smile before turning to Kira. "There he is, ma'am, just the man to ask. I tells ya, look at that pose, listen to the firm but concerned way he speaks. If this ain't the model to which all us citizens should conform I'd be out a weeks worth o' wages."

Turning back to the guard, he improvises a clearly respectful, yet wrong, salute before saying, "We wants ta ask ye fer an interview iffen we can, respectful sir! Alls the citizenry must know of your heroism... of yer devotion... yer .... honesty!"

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 19 | T 15 | FF 16 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Love it! Ah, good old Dogberry! You do realize this makes the predictable musical reference in answer inevitable, as soon as a suitable occasion presents itself? Suits Adonara to a T. :)

Also, at the risk of being too officious from the rear lines, I think we three in reserve would love to see how you set us up for inclusion on our return visit. A colleague? rival? from the society pages and - thoughts, gentlemen? - additional assistants?
Or maybe the fourth estate really is surprisingly robust in Kintargo, at least, in Cheliax, and inquiring minds from all sorts of constituencies want to know how law and order are being maintained in these troubled times!

1,201 to 1,250 of 1,415 << first < prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.