GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

CHAPTER 2 - FANGS OF WAR

Roll 20

LOOT!


2,751 to 2,800 of 3,037 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>

DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Mia shakes her head no, looking at the ground. "No I'm not. No one wants me. Everyone keeps dying. I'm going to be alone forever. I'm going to die alone."

The beginnings of rain drops begin to slowly fall throughout the forest.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"...Everyone dies alone." Selde said softly, her gaze going off in to the distance. Thoughts of parents dying in the field of battle bouncing around her mind. "That's why it isn't so bad being alone 'things are what they are'." She recited an elvish phrase. "But it's not so bad having people either, and you aren't alone, you have an entire community." Selde gripped Mia's hand harder, flashing another awkward smile.

"Also don't cry about Thael, it's really hard to get his attention. I was always chasing after him as a kid...and writing letters to check if he got my previous letters. But that big brain of his just gets focused on stuff."

Feeling more relaxed, Selde suddenly remembered the kiss, causing her cheek to flush once more. "Did I kiss good? I'd never...you did of course. Kiss good, I mean."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Mia ignores the rain, looking down at Selde's hand when she squeezes her own harder. "But I don't want to die alone Selde. I know you say everyone dies alone, but it doesn't have to be that way. You see people together all the time, in love. I don't know what that feels like and I desperately want to. I thought I could connect with Thael, but he's oblivious to my advances and is always critical of whenever I try to impress him."

She sighs when Selde mentions to not cry about Thael. "I think it's a lost cause. I don't even know if I like him, I just wanted to like him. To like someone. I wanted someone to like me, to want me."

She she asks about the kiss, she actually smiles for the first time and giggles. Shrugging her shoulders she says "Oh how should I know? That's only the second time I've kissed someone! You're better at it then Thael though, at least you acknowledged me and kept your lips pressed against mine."

Looking at the ground she says softly "It felt good though. We can try it again if you like?"

* * *

Meanwhile, deep underground, Caspan and Kining are eight cups into their bonding moment. Slurring her words now she gets to her feet, a little wobbly, "So 'en Ah say ta 'er "Hey hey hey! Ye gonna hav ta pay fur that too, chastity isnae free!" Nearly doubling over in laughter, she collapses back into her chair and looks over at Caspan and comments "Ye aren't sae bad when ye ur blooter'd, ye kna. Yoo'd make a guid dwarf."

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael finds it incredibly difficult to concentrate on his spell book. Grumbling, he throws his book back in his bag, where it lands on top of his familiar, Thanatos.

The flightless reptile makes a strange noise and works his way out of the bag.

"What do you know about women?" he asks. "Little to nothing, I would venture!"

Thanatos makes a chittering sound, as if he's indignant.

"Fine, fine!" Thael retorts.

Alright, I was NOT expecting Mia's newest thread. I thought I HAD given her enough of a lead, but that wasn't close to enough for her!

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Exasperated, Thael rises to his feet to do something he has meant to do for quite some time.

He walks around the caves looking for Kining.

At his waist is a broken longsword that the wizard has worn since this all started.

It is time to see if Kining can re-forge Father's blade.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Hey, you had your chance hotshot. She's looking for love tonight before she dies tomorrow!

Thael searches everywhere in the upper floor without finding any sign of Kining, so he head downstairs into the lower floor where she runs the reactivated forge. As soon as she descends to the lower floor, he hears loud laughter coming from multiple people inside of the forge. Entering the forge is a sight that he thought he'd never see.

Kining standing next to Caspan, swaying back and forth as she swings loudly in dwarvish and they are attempting to, what is that? Dancing? They can't barely stand up straight and are laughing in between every few nonsensical things the dwarven slurs out.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

I know, I know. I started thinking I made the right choice when she wiped snot on her arm, though. ;p

Thael looks on in a mix of amusement and irritation as Kining and Caspan have a drunken revel.

Father's blade will have to wait--Kining is in no shape to repair it now, and there will not likely be time before we leave.

"What are you two doing?" he asks. Not typically one for strong drink--he never wanted to cloud his impressive intellect--Thael grabs a glass and holds it out.

"Mind if I join you?"


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
GM ShadowLord wrote:

She she asks about the kiss, she actually smiles for the first time and giggles. Shrugging her shoulders she says "Oh how should I know? That's only the second time I've kissed someone! You're better at it then Thael though, at least you acknowledged me and kept your lips pressed against mine."

Looking at the ground she says softly "It felt good though. We can try it again if you like?"

Selde was unsure how to respond. She had never once pictured herself in her current situation. Selde had long since given up on romantic interests. And no one had ever told her she could kiss girls. Selde's cheek burned scarlett as she finally nodded. "Okay, but you start."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The first time was an accident, or a fluke chance with nothing behind this. This time however, it was a deliberate act and not the quick jerky motion of before. Mia looks up from the ground slowly, her head rising in what appears to be slow motion as she turns to stare into Selde's eyes with a look of ... hope? She only uses her left hand this time, sliding it behind Selde's neck and holding it softly there.

She remembers nearly butting heads with the druid, so she turns her head slightly to the left, angling it as she closes her eyes and pulls the red haired, red cheeked woman towards her. As he lips press on Selde's, it's softer this time and less forced. She opens her mouth slightly before closing it again, moving her hand slowly up the back of Selde's neck into her hair. Her breathing accelerates and her heart pounds in her chest, excitement and adrenaline building rapidly.

Okay. That was unexpected.

* * *

Kining starts doing something with her feet that probably is a form of dancing, but either she has no idea what she's doing or she's improvising. She lets go of Caspan who nearly falls to the floor when she pulls away suddenly and moves to retrieve another cup for Thael. She pours him a quadruple sized pour and thrusts it into his chest, likely bruising his sternum in the process. "Sure! Gie skitin' ye brain loon!"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Rhyna places an arm on Jillians' back, "It's not an easy job and it's unfair for you to have to take on this responsibility. You are doing your best and that's all we can ask. Desna will provide and watches over all of us. We're lucky to have you Jillian, I mean it. I wouldn't want anyone else making the decisions for us, no matter what."

Jillian turns back to Rhyna and pulls her in for another sisterly hug "Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. I promise I'll do everything I can to keep everyone safe." Stepping back with a smile she notes "That's why I wanted everyone to go with us. I was worried that if our group left and didn't bring you with we would come back to find you all dead or missing... I couldn't have that."

She shrugs and grins "Anyway, we should finish getting everyone ready to move out."

When word eventually reaches her that it is going to start raining Jillian frowns she goes to find Selde to ask her if she has any idea when the weather would let up, and is a little surprised when some comes outside to see Selde and Mia making out and let's out a "Oh..." She turns to walk back inside quickly, with a grin and just notes "Um... Selde when you have a sec come find me."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

As Mia pressed against her, Selde sucked a lungful of air in nervous anticipation. Her heart pound against her chest and her skin pricked at Mia's touch. Other than Nur and the occasional hug from Wren, Selde had had no real physical affect since her father and step mother had been killed. The experience now was both exhilarating and terrifying. She tried, and failed, to mimic Mia's lip movement, following along as a dance partner who couldn't find the timing. But she had enthusiasm where she lacked rhythm. A small laugh escaped when she realized how much she enjoyed a hand in the back of her hair. Followed by an anxious realization that she didn't know what to do with her hands. And for that matter, she wasn't sure what to do with her tongue. "Hands first!" She shouted in her mind as her hands began to search for a resting place. After an uncomfortable effort of trial and error, she finally settle for Mia's hips. She liked hips, she suddenly realized. "Ilikeyourhips." She managed to mumble out.

Yeah Selde, get it you awkward turtle.

Jillian wrote:
"Oh..." She turns to walk back inside quickly, with a grin and just notes "Um... Selde when you have a sec come find me."

Selde lost track of the time she spent with Mia, lost in a whirlwind of excitement and passion. The sound of someone speaking behind her brought her attention back to the present. "...What? Oh." She said in realization. She pushed her wet, matted hair to the side and looked in Mia's eyes with a smile. Her core was warm but the wet and the cold pricked at her skin. "Should we...?" Selde let the question hang in the air, unsure herself if she meant to stay or go inside.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The amount of time Selde and Mia are outside in the rain "getting to know each other better." are completely lost on them. The rain has picked up and they are both soaking wet when Jillian interrupts them. Mia looks down and realizes how completely and utterly soaked they are, giggling softly. "Only if you want to. It sounds like they need you back inside."

Mia sucks her lips into her mouth and bites at them gently, a slight smile on her face. She nods wordlessly, slipping her arm around Selde's left forearm and walking hand in hand with her back towards the cave. As they enter the cave, the crack of thunder booms outside as the brief flash of light illuminates the two women returning.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7
GM ShadowLord wrote:


Kining starts doing something with her feet that probably is a form of dancing, but either she has no idea what she's doing or she's improvising. She lets go of Caspan who nearly falls to the floor when she pulls away suddenly and moves to retrieve another cup for Thael. She pours him a quadruple sized pour and thrusts it into his chest, likely bruising his sternum in the process. "Sure! Gie skitin' ye brain loon!"

Thael holds up his glass. Speaking dwarven himself, he was familiar with their variety of the Common tongue. "A dinnae mind gin A dae. A uisually dinnae drink, but today A think A will. It's been ane o thae days," he responds in a near-perfect rendition of Kining's accent.

He takes a small drink and puts his father's blade, in its scabbard, on the table.

"Someday, I would speak to you of this blade," he says, drawing it and revealing that it is broken in two.

"But for now, skål!" he says as he raises his glass once more.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

As Selde took Mia's hand to return to the cave, she had a wide, awkward smile on her face, and a look of someone who realized she was in a good dream. The silly look stayed on her face as the pair navigated the caverns to find Jillian. "Jillian, did you..." Selde burst in to nervous giggling before collecting herself. "Did you need something?"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

When Selde and Mia came back in and found her Jillian smiled to herself and nodded to Selde's question "Uh, yeah, sorry to interrupt, but the rain any idea when that might let up? With feeling rough on leaving I'd rather not strain it further having everyone march straight into the rain..."

To note was hoping she could maybe predict the weather with a survival check :D


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Selde:
While it's probable that you could give a great answer to this, you were so distracted by Mia and the twins that you never took the time to study the weather. It is safe to say the storm is building and it is unlikely to end anytime in the next few hours probably.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Yeah!" Caspan agrees with whatever Kining's going on about, almost thinking he might try to learn Dwarvish someday ... or at least teach her how to speak Common. How hard could that be, really? "You'd make a guid dorf too!"

He nods drunkenly to himself, pleased that he's returned what he assumed was her compliment.

He's all too happy to invite Thael to join him, as long as it's Kining's drink and not his own that's being offered. He blinks owlishly at the wannabe elf, wondering if he'll want to be a dwarf too when he's got a bit of drink in him.

"C'mon! We're making up eugoogoolies for all th'ignorpotomuses who're too -- stoopit! -- to stay here where they should be."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Oh right...the rain. I...it's hard to say. It likely won't fully let up for a few hours. There might not be much daylight left by the time." Selde said softly. "It might be best to stay for the evening and prepare to leave in the morning." Selde's right cheeked blushed at mention of staying for another night.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian frowns and nods "Ok... any way you can tell what it might be like in the morning?"


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Oh...umm, yes! Well, I can at dawn. I'll prepare a spell that will let me read the weather for the next two days. And I scouted earlier so I'll definitely know if it's safe to head out or not." Selde oversold, suddenly feeling as if she were in trouble.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian smiles and nods "Great! Let me know. I'll tell everyone we are staying here tonight but to be ready to leave in the morning."

She turns and goes to do just that, telling everyone to keep packing and be ready to leave in the morning once the rains subside.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Right. I'll need some bones." Selde began to walk away before taking a quick heel spin and rigidly facing Mia. "Oh...Um I'm going to make a focus for a spell. would you like to join me?" Selde said softly.

Selde will take some of the owlbear bones and 25gp worth of ingredients to create a focus for the Read Weather spell. Marked off her inventory money. She'll show her apprentices how and will hope her new bae will want to watch as well. I can prepare lower level spells in higher slots so I can ready 6 castings of pass without trace as well, covering 30 creatures. Spell list for the the morning updated in the character sheet in my header.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Down below, a dwarf and two humans are getting smashed while they terribly sing songs often heard late at name in the pub houses. Kining throws her arm around Thael when she speaks Dwarvish nearly as good as she does."Oh ho oh! Woods ye look at 'at? Ah didne know ye coods s#!&# sae guid!"

When Thael shows her the blade, she pulls it up in both hands and starts to examine it. "If we waur stayin' haur Ah coods probably fix it up reit in a coorie. Since we're aw leavin' thocht, aam nae sure i'll hae th' materials Ah need tae make 'at happen sae quickly."

The fun abruptly comes to an end when Kining goes to pour another round and finds her jar disappointingly empty! She turns it upside down just to check before turning to Caspan and Thael. "Dae either ay ye hae anythin' else tae drink? It's tay early tae be stoppin' noo!"

* * * *

Mia offers a half wave to Jillian, slightly embarrassed to have been busted by her earlier.

When Selde asks her to join her, Mia siles and nods eagerly and when she mentions magic, her eyes perk up "Wait. You can do magic too? I didn't know this. I thought Thael and Father Emil and Wren were the only ones of the leaders that knew how to do magic."

Eyes wide now, she eagerly scoops up Selde's hand again and says "Will you show me? I love magic! It's one of the things that attracted me to Thael, I think."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde continued to be confused, scarred, and delighted by Mia's attention. She paused to look at Mia and her's entangled hands with a soft smile. "...I don't know any city magic like Thael, but I know Druidic magic. I'm actually trying to teach it to Lirosa and Taidel, but I don't know it's going so good. I don't really know what I should be doing. Druids don't really have formal training, at least my grandfather didn't give me any. I told them that but it's like they expect I'll be able to figure it out and I just..." Selde blushed at the revelation of her uncertainty. "But I mean, I'd still like to try to show you too!"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Mia shakes her head "I had no idea there were differences between druidic magic and city magic. I wasn't gifted with any magic and only recently have learned how to cast a few basic spells like making water, detecting magic and making light. When Thael wasn't too busy, he was trying to teach me how to cast a spell that makes me understand all spoken languages briefly even if I don't know them. I haven't mastered that one quite yet, but sometimes it works."

"Can you show me some of your druidic magic? Aren't druids very secretive? Are you even allowed to show me this?" Mia says staring up at the taller half-elf. She tilts her head to the side, studying at her hair and smiling.

On a whim, Mia reaches up and runs her hand through the back of Selde's head again, going through her hair. She decides "I think I'm going to make something for you tomorrow morning. It's going to be obnoxious and ridiculous, but it will make you smile."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"There are a lot of different kinds of magic. I think I'm allowed to teach Lirosa and Taidel to be Druids. I was taught after all right? And there shouldn't be any harm in showing you some magic. We all live in the forest so that should count for something. Besides...I want to show you." Selde said softly, a deep blush spreading across her face as Mia's hand ran through her hair.

Quote:
"I think I'm going to make something for you tomorrow morning. It's going to be obnoxious and ridiculous, but it will make you smile."

"I'd like that." Selde really liked that Mia wanted to make her smile. Her heart started to beat faster again.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7
GM ShadowLord wrote:

Down below, a dwarf and two humans are getting smashed while they terribly sing songs often heard late at name in the pub houses. Kining throws her arm around Thael when she speaks Dwarvish nearly as good as she does."Oh ho oh! Woods ye look at 'at? Ah didne know ye coods s@%!# sae guid!"

When Thael shows her the blade, she pulls it up in both hands and starts to examine it. "If we waur stayin' haur Ah coods probably fix it up reit in a coorie. Since we're aw leavin' thocht, aam nae sure i'll hae th' materials Ah need tae make 'at happen sae quickly."

The fun abruptly comes to an end when Kining goes to pour another round and finds her jar disappointingly empty! She turns it upside down just to check before turning to Caspan and Thael. "Dae either ay ye hae anythin' else tae drink? It's tay early tae be stoppin' noo!"

Thael hadn't brought anything else to drink, though he was not much interested in getting drunk. Still, he smiles at Kining, enjoying the boisterous company as an escape from the evening's misappropriated feelings.

Handling the broken longsword and admiring the curious craftsmanship, he says "I would appreciate your help later, then," he says, then finishes his drink. "Since it belonged to my father, I would like to see it fixed."

Looking at the drunken Kining, he says "I was reading my father's journal--he makes reference to when he found this blade. He said it spoke to him. I don't mean if he meant figuratively, or literally. Have you ever heard of a sentient weapon? An intelligent magical item, perhaps? I do not know if that is what he meant, and certainly any magical properties are likely long-gone. Still, the idea fascinates me," Thael finishes, not sure why he's bothering to elaborate to a drunk.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan pats himself down, ignoring the fact he has a wineskin with the rest of his gear in the cave where he should be staying until he has to go save someone from a tree or something again.

He shakes his head. "I got this water that Father Emil made me take, but it'll probly just soberize you." He's got holy water...

The bottle empty, he shrugs.

"Guid daerf to you too, I'm going to bed," and with that polite farewell in her strange language, he heads off to his own section of stinking cave.

Ready to move on.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Kining nods to Thael, punching him the shoulder for what she perceives is lightly but staggers the wizard back tow steps and likely will leave a bruise. "Ay coorse i've seen them! Ne'er maed a body, but did some repair wark oan a body ance. Whit dae ye hink Ah am, new at thes, loon?" Laughing at her own joke, Kining, Thael and Caspan call it a night and head back upstairs, stumbling and laughing while making fun of dwarvish the entire way.

Mia spends every moment possible with Selde, walking with her and talking to her as she tries to learn more about the mysteriously scarred woman. When night time arrives, she drags her cloth over next to Selde's and pushes it up next to her. Pulling the elf's head onto her chest, she runs her fingers through her hair all night until she eventually falls asleep.

Some find sleep quickly, others take longer given the disruption that tomorrow brings. Eventually however, everyone's eyes close as they spend their last night in Misthome. Dawn arrives and the group groggily prepares themselves for the last minute packing and trip ahead. Some pat the walls with thanks when the depart into the damp outdoors, others say nothing and can't wait to leave here.

It takes a little longer to get out on their way than Jillian had hoped, everyone finally ready mid-morning after eat, packing and triple checking that they didn't forget anything. Once they are on the their way however, the traveling is done with moderate ease and relative good spirits by the group.

Selde and Father Emil help guide the group north further into the forest, not knowing where they are going other than "north". After a full days of traveling without incident, the group begins discussion of camping soon when they notice several large, felled trees litter the ground. Each cleanly cut and shorn of its branches.

As you look around, an elf high atop (60') a lone lodgepole pine shouts down to you, his voice cracked and hoarse. “Halloo! I need some help up here! My wrist is broken and there aren't enough branches for me to climb back down.”


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde will cast Read Weather and 6 castings(for 30 creatures) of Pass Without Trace, lasting for 5 hours.

Selde stumbles over herself giving Mia attention and receiving it in kind. The overzealous nature that had so often worked against her in the past only seemed to further endure Selde to the human woman. While showing Liraso and Taidel how to create the focus for weather magic, she made no efforts to hide her affections for Mia. The mask of authority and competence melting away before the half-elf's exuberance.

Selde had been anxiously trying to decide how to approach Mia when Mia dragged her sleeping roll to Selde. Delight and relief washed over her as the pair pulled close to one another. Selde clung tight to her sleeping partner, certain she favored a hand in her hair. With a deep exhalation, relaxation flooded Selde, washing away weeks of tension. The sound of Mia's heartbeat gently pulled Selde to sleep.

---

Selde carried a small smile as she went about her morning preparations. A delight at discovering the previous nights happenings had been more than a dream. A small delight turning larger when Mia continued her affections. Breakfast passed by in a flash, as did the mornings magic demonstration. With the weather clear and the least stealthy members of the group magically concealed, it was finally time to head out. Selde gave Lirosa and Taidel orders to follow behind and ensure the trail remained hidden. With that, it was finally time for Selde to assume scouting and her other duties at the head of the caravan. "I've got to go...but I'd really like it, I mean. I'll come check on you, if that wouldn't bother you..." Selde bit her lip in uncertainty, a return to duties bringing about a return of anxiety. With unusual strength, Selde pushed away at her fears and uncertainties. Quickly, the half-elf leaned down and pecked Mia on the lips. Her right cheek blushing at the display of bravery, Selde muttered a goodbye before leaping on to Nur and riding away.

---

Quote:
s you look around, an elf high atop (60') a lone lodgepole pine shouts down to you, his voice cracked and hoarse. “Halloo! I need some help up here! My wrist is broken and there aren't enough branches for me to climb back down.”

Selde is wary of the situation and begins to scan the area for any sign of threats.

Perception; Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Totally forgot Mia's present... EARLIER:

Selde wakes up and finds that Mia is already gone, her cot empty and cold. Unsure when she left, she proceeds to continue to get ready to depart. As they are departing, Mia catches her outside the cave with a huge smile on her face.

"I made this for you. It's so you don't forget about me later! I'll always be in your hair!" she concludes with a giggle. Reaching down behind a bush, she pulls out a homemade headdress. Several pieces of cherry branches have been fastened together and in the shape of a large crown. Beautiful astilbe's and veronica flowers decorate the branches, with several butterflies fluttering about it. Picture.

She picks up the large crown and places it on Selde's head, taking a moment to sturdy it before pulling a vine around her chin to secure it. She claps her hands quickly and then holds them out to you palms up. "Beautiful! Selde, Queen of the Fangwood!" she proclaims.

Present

Selde finds trouble before it become a disaster.

The tree that the elf is stuck in has cracked on the inside. If anyone else climbs up the tree, it won't be able to hold the weight and it will crack and come crashing down.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian is glad to be on the road with everyone and that everyone seems to be in reasonably high spirits. When they approach the man stuck in a tree she calls back "How did you even get up there like that? What is going on here?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The elf calls down "I was on a logging expedition. A bunch of hobgoblins rolled through here a few days ago and my entire team left or were killed, I haven't seen them since they ran. I tried to get down, but slipped and jammed my hand. I. am pretty sure it's broken. Anyway, I'm so high that those hobgoblins never saw me."

"So, can you help me out please?"

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Previously

Thael had, uncharacteristically, gone to sleep quickly. Though he had not had nearly as much to drink as Caspan or Kining, the fact that he rarely participated in drinking affected him. He went to bed thinking of his blade, and perhaps Kining repairing it. He was not warrior, but having his father's blade had great sentimental value to him.

Groaning in the morning, he did not like how he felt, though he had slept soundly for once.

The thought of Mia kissing him the previous evening flooded his mind and he groaned again.

She did not take suggestion to take things slow very well.

He spent the morning trying to avoid looking at Mia any time the group was together. He did take note of an elaborate nature headdress that his sister wore.

Druids--

Currently

When the group finds the elf, Thael mentally reviews his prepared spells.

"I have only one spell prepared that could get you down, but you would need to jump onto a creature I summon. Are you capable of doing that?" the wizard calls up the tree.

If so, I'll cast Summon Monster II to call a Celestial Hippogriff.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Once the decision is made, Emil sets to checking on everyone in the community, trying to boost spirits and give those who wanted to stay in the caves reasons to be optimistic. "Caves are great fer molds and mildews, but people like us thrive in Mother Fangwood. We're stronger now than ya prolly ever thought ya'd be, strong enough to beat down whatever a bunch o' nub-fanged, flat-headed hobgobs can throw at us. So let's dig deep and give us all yer strength an' courage. Erastil favors the brave!"

He notes the various romantic successes and failures with amusement. He isn't prepared to give anyone advice, figuring no would want relationship advice from a fifty something bachelor farmer. Of course, he'd been young once and had his flings, but he generally doesn't talk about what he had found and lost all those years ago. He absently touches the locket he wears with strands of Grace's hair in it.

But it did set his mind to something he'd been intending on doing for a while, checking up on how Aubrin was faring. He offered to see if there was anything she could do to help her heal from her injuries by the Ent. He lingered with her longer than necessary, enjoying her more mature outlook on things and the joy she always seemed to inject into situations, whether by a salty song or a silver lining spotted. He mentioned the encountered he witnessed between Mia and Thael and later Mia and Selde, plus the newfound camaraderie between Caspan and Kining. He segues from these topics to ask her if she had had any romances since settling in Phaendar.

The next day, he checks on her from time to time as the journey into the forest begins. He tries to get her to tell tales of the Chernasardo Rangers to give people hope that they are moving toward something better.

Forward to the elf in the tree.
"I've got a potion I could send up with my companion. She's tame. She won't bite." He gets out a potion of cure light wounds and starts to attach a pouch to Pila and prepares to talk to her to explain what she should do. But he waits to see if anyone else has any better ideas.

Pila has a climb skill of +15.

Emil is ready to cast Plant Growth on the ground around the tree in hopes that that will revive the tree and give the elf some better hand holds if he needs that even with a healed hand.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:
She picks up the large crown and places it on Selde's head, taking a moment to sturdy it before pulling a vine around her chin to secure it. She claps her hands quickly and then holds them out to you palms up. "Beautiful! Selde, Queen of the Fangwood!" she proclaims.

Selde gasped in excitement at the reveal of Mia's gift "ThanksitsreallyImeanthankyou." She muttered a thanks as Mia attached the crown, unsure of how to react to the situation. Mia's compliment about beauty put Selde in deeply uncharted territory, she merely turned a deep scarlet at the compliment. However, once mounted atop Nur, Selde carried herself with a rare confidence and dignity.

Elf not on a shelf

"Careful, the tree might give way under much more weight." Selde softly called out a warning as she surveyed the scene.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren didn’t have anything to effectively contribute to saving the man so she stood back as the others did their thing. She was lucky to be blessed in having such talented friends. ”Thael might have the best solution! And if you drink the Fsther’s potion, your hand might be strong enough to grab hold really tight to it! This could work out perfectly.”

If he doesn’t slip and fall sixty feet, she couldn’t help but think as the others tried to save him.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan looks up, squinting against the sky.

"Do you have to be so loud up there?" he complains, his head pounding.

At the mention of hobgoblins, he looks around, expecting that at any minute the whole group of them is going to be attacked. If only his head didn't hurt so much, maybe he'd give it a little more of his attention.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

"What'd you say happened to the hobs?" he calls out.

As the others debate the best solution, he offers one of his own: "If the tree's broken, I could probably push it over. That might work."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The elf responds to Thael "That sounds pretty ridiculous and terrifying, but if you think that's the only way then I can give it a shot, I guess?"

Sounds like there are several options here between Thael and Father Emil, I'm discounting Caspan's "push the tree down and kill him when it falls" approach. Which way you want to go here?"


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Fine!

"Maybe Thael's hippopotamus can fly the potion up to this guy, so the cat doesn't pull the whole tree down," Caspan suggests. "Or maybe it flies Emil up and he can heal him without wasting a whole potion. Maybe grab the guy too, if it can hold two people."


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Emil studies the tree from different sides, looking at how safe it looks for Pila to climb.

If he senses the tree might not take the extra weight of his lynx (40 lb.), Emil will summon a smaller, lighter animal like an eagle (15 lb.) that is capable of delivering the potion.

"Oh, wait!" Emil says suddenly. "I've got a feather token that kin turn inta a great big tree. I could set it up next ta this 'un and one o' us could climb it and toss a rope to ya."

Feather Token Tree: A token that causes a great oak to spring into being (5-foot-diameter trunk, 60-foot height, 40-foot top diameter). This is an instantaneous effect.

Unless Thael has some special summoning buffs, I don't see any creature in the 1st through 3rd level summon lists that can carry a person. A lantern archon could get the healing potion up to him without climbing the tree.

If the tree is in danger of breaking, I'm thinking the plant growth would stabilize it, if the GM allows.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian considers the different options presented but so far it sounds like Thael's is the best option, assuming it is feasible. She notes "Sprouting a tree, while it would allow us to get up to him may not really help, if we get a rope up to him how will he climb down or across with his injuries, also I would worry him moving about may cause the tree to fall if we weren't careful."

Thael you have feather fall in your spell book, I suppose we could always rest so you could prepare the spell and then cast it on him. We would still need to use the feather token for you to climb up so you would be in range.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

I may not get a chance to post for a while, so here is what Emil will do, pending a response to Emil’s rolls to spot weaknesses in the tree. If he thinks the tree will support the weight of Pila and the elf, Emil will send a potion up with the lynx. If not, he will cast summon monster III to summon a lantern archon and send the potion up with it, along with a length of rope so he can secure himself against falls. I’ve searched the SRDs and the only place I see a hippogriff on summon lists is in D&D 3.5, so I’m not sure Thael can summon one, unless he’s got some special ability. Once the elf is healed, assuming a cure spell can mend a broken bone (the rules sometimes invoke special healing requirements for broken bones), we can see if the elf can get himself down without any further help. If the elf is climbing down, Emil will suggest we prepare a few blankets or tents to draw tight around the base of the tree as a precaution against falling.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Tying some blankets together to catch him seems a simple solution." Selde said softly

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Looks like Emil's right about summon monster--I'm looking at a bad chart. Let's go with Emil's plan to run a potion up and grow a tree to climb down with a newly-mended wrist!

Thael nods as Father Emil sets forth an alternative plan--one that should work well.

"I agree with Emil--let us proceed with his idea."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

After conferring with Selde, Emil doesn't think the tree can take any additional weight to run the potion and some rope up to the elf without bringing the whole thing down. Proceeding with the alternate plan, he summons a lantern archon who flies the healing potion up to the stranded elf. The elf consumes the potion and while it doesn't heal his injury completely, he says he is in good enough shape to try to descend using the rope that Emil provided.

While this is happening, the elf points in the direction the hobgoblins went and Caspan heads that way and searches the immediate vicinity for signs of those hobgoblins. He doesn't find any, but he does find something else interesting. Three humans dressed in gray-and-green ponchos stained with blood lie dead in a nearby dell. There are six fancy arrows and a potion laying on the ground.

Once he descends successfully, the elf thanks you immensely. He explains that his name is Vardalel and that he saw several groups of hobgoblins (in squads of four) patrolling the area, although he isn’t sure he didn’t just see one squad multiple times. "Two days ago, I saw the hobgoblins lure several Chernasardo Rangers into a trap. Five hobgoblins hid in a shrub-ringed dell while another hobgoblin walked away. That hobgoblin came sprinting back several minutes later with three Chernasardo Rangers in pursuit. I was afraid to shout a warning, for fear of being picked off by the hobgoblins, and watched helplessly as the hobgoblins ambushed and
slaughtered the Rangers."

Spellcraft/Perception - Potion DC17:
Protection from Arrows

Spellcraft - Arrows DC18:
+1 merciful arrows


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Spellcraft 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

Spellcraft 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Wren looked closely at the gear. ”Those arrows are called merciful arrows and they are magical, too. And. The potion is a protection from normal Missiles. Those will come in handy out here.”. She hands the items back to Caspan.

”All these hobgoblins make me think we are definitely doing the right thing caves. We have to put distance between them and us, that’s for sure. I fell just awful for these three Rangers, though. Those goblins are so awful,” Wren grumbles.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael confirms Wren's thoughts on the magical items. As they consider what to do, Thael says "I believe we made the right choice to leave the caves. There, we were an island in the midst of a hobgoblin sea. They have patrols here to the north--it would not have been much longer before they found us.
At least now, we have a chance of escape."

spellcraft potion: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
spellcraft arrows: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Are the hobgoblins still there?" Selde said softly. Selde had used most of her magic in the mornings preparations. However, she still had her most powerful spell, and with luck they could greatly turn the tides of an ambush.

If the hobgoblins have a group waiting in ambush, Thorny Entanglement will give them a bad day. We'd have to stay back but we have enough ranged options to just volley. Hopefully we can get the complete drop but giving Jillian the protection from arrows potion sets her up as a good lure to draw them out.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Or they are looking for large groups," -- he points to the dead rangers -- "while smaller ones" -- and he now points toward Vardalel -- "can climb a tree and get away. Bet they wish they'd had some caves to hide in."

He shrugs as Wren hands him the arrows.

"What am I supposed to do with these? I guess I could use a bow if circumstandards meant I had to, but I really just know how to punch things," he says. "Give 'em to someone who uses a bow!"

That said, the potion might be useful, but if anyone else wants it...

2,751 to 2,800 of 3,037 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.