GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

CHAPTER 2 - FANGS OF WAR

Roll 20

LOOT!


2,551 to 2,600 of 3,036 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael watches with an open mouth as Jillian and Caspan take the massive assault on the chin.

Figuring he needs to disable at least one of them quickly, he casts glitterdust, the spell catching two of the creatures in its radius.

"Hold fast!" he cries.

Heightened glitterdust, DC 20 Will


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Quick stats:

HP 4/54
AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17, CMD 21 (+2 vs. dirty trick; +3 vs. trip)
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +1 (+2 resistance bonus to recover from a continuing effect)
Unbreakable Survivor (8 hp) 0/1
Martial Flexibility 0/5; knockout (DC 16) 1/1
Effects: Steadfast gutstone, bless

Caspan reels as the attack nearly kills him and staggers backward, barely able to see through the pain. Withdraw back into the rear ranks, 20 feet back; I can't see the map from home

Sorry, guys, that's nearly deadly. If Emil can heal me, I can get back into the fight.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Jillian puts a beating on the owlbear in front of her, bloodying the creature and severely injuring it. Unfortunately however, it's not quite enough to put it on the ground. Standing tall against her attacks, the owlbear rips into the paladin with tremendous ferocity. Swining for her already bleeding artery, the creature just narrowly ripping her neck wide open this time. As it stands though, the damage is still too much and sends the aasimar tumbling to the ground in bloody pile. (17 damage)

Thael's spell coats both creatures in a glitery substance that blinds them, causing them both to reach for their eyes.

Father Emil watches Caspan turn hide and run after Jillian gets beaten badly, his face not understanding why he would abandon the front line. Recognizing that he cannot allow these creature to move past him, he holds the line with Pila. More importantly however, he needs to keep his companions alive.

Pila however, saves the day. She rips into the owlbear in front of her and pulls its down to the ground, knocking it unconscious. Turning to face the creature in front of Father Emil she almost succeeds in bringing that one down as well. Both claws flash out and rip into the creature, leaving it teetering and ready to fall.

Emil steps back away from the owlbear and the glittery, blinded creature lashes out at Emil with its wicked claw and takes a claw to the back, dealing moderate amounts of damage to him (10 damage), but this allows him to get in positive to channel positive energy to heal his companions CPE: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 5) = 12

R3: Owlbears, Thael, Father Emil, Caspan, Jillian, Wren, Selde

GM:

Father Emil Scythe: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Bite Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Grab: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

claw 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
claw 1 Damage: 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

claw 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
claw 2 Damage: 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Attack Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Attack Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Confirm Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Attack Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 70
Attack FE: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 47
Attack FE: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 89
Attack FE: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"JILLIAN!" Selde shouted as the Paladin was felled by the beast. Selde loosed more arrows with a silent prayer to Erastil that they find their mark

Leopard will do another full attack.,Full attack on blue owlbear. Switch over to the yellow bear if blue drops.

Bite;: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Claw 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Damage 1: 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Claw 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage 2: 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

C. Longbow; Bless, ST, PBS, Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 31
Arrow; ST, PBS: 1d8 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 + 2 + 1 = 11
Crit Threat; Bless, ST, PBS, Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 30
Crit Damage; ST, PBS: 2d8 + 2 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 + 4 + 2 = 12

C. Longbow; Bless, ST, PBS, Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 - 2 = 13
Arrow; ST, PBS: 1d8 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 2 + 1 = 9


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

That's enough to end it. Nice shooting!

Between Selde's expertly placed arrow and the leopard, the two remaining owlbears crumble to the ground.

Out of combat.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael relaxes only a bit, since Jillian had fallen and Caspar also seemed very hurt.

Not being the one to administer first aid, and feeling a little squeamish at the sight of all the blood, he says "I do hope she's okay."

Good job all! Ouch!


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian takes the blow and falls to the ground as everything goes dark, then moments later as Emil's healing energy washes over her, her eyes pop back open and she looks around to see the creatures dead. She uses her sword to help herself up to her feet, wincing in pain as she stands. She looks to the others and forces a smile "Good job." Afterwards she reaches down to heal some of her wounds.

LoH: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 5) = 7
LoH: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 3) = 9

Still a bit bloody, but feeling better she notes "We should get some help and butcher these things. That's a lot of food for the others."


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

”This just goes to show how much trouble is out here in the woods, even though we know it pretty well. There’s dangers all over this place. The Green Lady’s got tests for us everywhere,” Wren sighs, ecstatic to see the group was still standing. Kind of.

”Remember, I can heal someone if you are still hurt!”

Wren moves over and scratches Pila’s muzzle. ”You, my dear, are a lifesaver,” she says, looking for a loose piece of the bodies to sneak her as a treat.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan groans, still badly hurt, even if his wounds have mostly scabbed over thanks to Emil's healing.

"I could use some healing. I'm as broken as a jeweler who left his back door open," Caspan groans.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

CLW on Caspan per Wren’s psychic ability 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian is at 25/43 and I think Caspan is at 27/54


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil attends to the wounded, staring with energy channels once the owl bears have been killed.

Positive Energy Channel: 3d6 ⇒ (6, 2, 6) = 14
Positive Energy Channel: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 1, 5) = 9
Positive Energy Channel: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 6, 6) = 15

If that's not enough, let me know.

When all are out of danger, he glares at the ancient forest. "We're all but wiped out by ruddy hobgoblins an' ya send owl bears! Really? Father Erastil, sometimes ...." He clamps his mouth shut and kicks one of the owl bear corpses in frustration, before he says something he'll regret.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan nods -- "Thanks, Pops" -- as Emil's power heals the wounds still remaining after Wren starts the healing process.

"See, I told you we still need the caves!" he says, glad the creatures managed to prove his point.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Lirosa comes up from the rear and hears Caspan's comment. "Why wouldn't we need the caves? They are our home?"

Looking down at the dead owlbears, she shakes her head. "Those things look very deadly, thank you for getting rid of them. I wonder where they came from?"

She spins, looking around the area. "Do you think we should start to scout and clear the surrounding territory to the caves? If we're staying here, we don't know what other dangers lurk around the corner from us, do we?"


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren scratched her chin thinking about all the options. ”We do need to clear the area around these caves to make it safer for everyone. But, we need to get to work on finding the rangers, since hopefully they’ve got a place deeper in the forest to let us all stay. These caves are just too darned close to all those nasty hobgoblins for it to be good long term. What does everyone else think?”

She then added, ”Maybe we could spend a day or two making sure there’s nothing else nasty closeby and then we could go look for the Rangers after?”


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan nods at Wren's suggestion, thinking it's a good idea. It's a lot easier to go find the rangers later on, but harder to get back quickly while they're out who knows where finding rangers.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

Once it was clear everyone was okay, Selde began to butcher the owlbears. She always preferred to have something to do with her hands, and she could already almost smell her grandfathers owlbear stew. "It is always a good idea to scout. I have some magic that can help." Selde said softly.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael is relieved to have the threat of the owlbears eliminated. As they consider scouting around to protect the area, he says "I think we should send scouts, but we should focus to the northeast. There, we will find the rangers. At least, if my calculations are correct."

Thael's familiar Thanatos chitters at the wizard and he nods.

"This is a temporary refuge, at best. I think we should use every effort to contact the rangers, and make plans to leave in the near future."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Lirosa doesn't understand the context of moving to look for hte Rangers, so she walks away and approaches Selde as she butchers the owlbears, trying to observe without getting in the way too much. Once she's at a point where she can talk without interrupting, she says "You're really good at that. How did you learn this? Do you kill owlbears regularly?"

A few of the others come out to check on the party and the herd after all of the commotion was raised. Aubrin joins the group and offers her healing to anyone else who's still injured from the battle.

Kining walks up and smacks Caspan on the back of the head. "How come urr ye sae damn bloody a' th' time? Dae ye juist donder up 'n' let th' creatures cut ye lik' a piece o' bridie? This armor, tis brand freish! Ye ken howfur lang ah bin workin` oan fixing hings? Dae ye juist gang 'n' break it oan purpose? "


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian nods to Thael's words "We've been training up our own fighters over the time we've been here. Scouting the local area for additional threats is a perfect task they can organize while we are away looking for a new refuge."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"What?" Caspan replies. "Can't you just learn to speak Common good. I can barely understand you with that Dwarvish accent!"

He looks down at his armor.

"Someone's got to stand in front of all the little squishies, I guess. Sometimes you need to just keep your mouth closed and take the fall. Guess that's me again who got numerated to do it. And those bear-owls are even bloodier and deader, so there!"


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:
Lirosa doesn't understand the context of moving to look for hte Rangers, so she walks away and approaches Selde as she butchers the owlbears, trying to observe without getting in the way too much. Once she's at a point where she can talk without interrupting, she says "You're really good at that. How did you learn this? Do you kill owlbears regularly?"

"No, but my grandfather would take one down every so often. Mostly we just dried the meat, but it's really good in stew. And few feathers are better for fletching." Selde said with an unusual excitement. "Would...you like to help...?" Selde's excitment was quickly overtaken by anxiety, and her voice trailed away as she made the offer and extended a bloody knife handle towards her fellow half-elf.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

King turns red in the face when Caspan tells her to speak better. Raising her voice and putting her hands on her hips she shouts "A'm speaking common ye lughead! It's nae mah fault that ye git skelp in th' heid sae mony times that yer brain jiggered lik' it's suppose tae! Mibbie if ye dodged a few mair attacks instead o' jumping fernent thaim it wid hulp!"

She turns to look at the bloodier and deader owlbears before turning back to Caspan. "Ye did that wi' yer fists? Color me impressed then, bruiser. Knocked thaim doon 'n' cut thaim up? That's okay ah figure. Ah figured ye wid be turning tail 'n' running awa' fae thaim! !"

For those that don't speak Kining:
"I am speaking common you lughead! It is not my fault that you get hit in the head so many times that your brain does not work like it is supposed to! Maybe if you dodged a few more attacks instead of jumping in front of them it would help!"

You did that with your fists? Color me impressed then, bruiser. Knocked them down and cut them up? That's okay I guess. I figured you would be turning tail and running away from them!"

* * *

While the bloody knife may have turned some away, Lirosa was not the squeemish type. Looking up at Selde as her eyes go wide, she asks "Me. You want me to help? I'd. I'd love to do that!" she says a little too excited as she steps up and snatches the blade from her hand. Realizing she is displaying a little too much exuberance, she lets her shoulders sag and lowers her voice. "I mean. Thank you. I'd really like that."

She offers a meek smile as she lowers herself to the ground to start looking over the creature for the best way to proceed.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael smiles as Caspan and Kining argue, but turns to Jillian.

"We should arrange for a patrol to leave soon, exploring to the northeast. How soon do you think they could depart?"


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren can’t help but overhear the discussion on the patrol, as she hides her eyes from the butchering of the owlbears. ”As many resources as we had to spend to survive that attack, we might should wait until the morning, and let everyone get their spells and healing back. Caspan and Jillian got really cut up, and the Father had to spend a bunch of magical healing to get them on their feet again, you know. I’m sure the rangers can wait one more day for us.”

She smiles broadly but can’t help to have a worry eating at the back of her mind...The Rangers have to know what’s been going on back home. Where have they been? Did the gobbies get to them too?


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

"I'd like to enchant my scythe before we go. Erastil has seen clear to enlighten me on the tricks ta weave magic inta the iron an' I may as well start with my own. I'll be glad ta do the same fer anyone as we get time an' resources, o' course. "

When the question of time comes up, he adds, "Should take about a day ta give a basic enchantment fer a weapon. Cost about a thousand gold worth of magic ingredients to mix and lay on the weapon. Then there's the spell ta turn it into a weapon o' quality, using a spell that takes about a hour to cast an' requires about 300 gold worth o' magic components."

"I'd recommend everyone has at least a masterwork weapon if ya kin afford it. 'Course some o' our own smiths kin make up such weapons as well," he adds with a glance to see if Kinning is listening.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian shrugs to Thael questions and before she can answer Wren chimes in and then Emil. "Well, the scouts I recommend we keep them local. I don't see any reason they can't start searching close by immediately for other threats to the caves. However, I agree we should get some rest before we head off in search of the rangers ourselves."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde and Lirosa had a pleasant, if quiet, time butchering the owlbear carcasses. What few words were spoken were mostly tips and instructions, but Selde felt much closer to Lirosa all the same. Before long they delivered the choicest cuts to be cooked for dinner, with the remaining cuts and pelts left to cure. Once the chore was done and the pair cleaned up, Selde set about readying a spell to help with scouting. Once again she offered for Lirosa to join her.

Taking a seat on the forest floor outside the cave, Selde took a deep breath as she opened herself to the world around her. The sun on her skin, sounds of creatures and insects moving about, the smell of the earth. She concentrated on these things as she stuck her sands in the soil, muttering a druidic incantation.

Cast Lay of the Land, 2 mile radius

Knowledge Geography; Lay of the Land, Take 10: 10 + 6 + 5 = 21

Not sure what all information Selde might gleam but she will share it to assist with the scouting efforts.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2
GM ShadowLord wrote:

King turns red in the face when Caspan tells her to speak better. Raising her voice and putting her hands on her hips she shouts "A'm speaking common ye lughead! It's nae mah fault that ye git skelp in th' heid sae mony times that yer brain jiggered lik' it's suppose tae! Mibbie if ye dodged a few mair attacks instead o' jumping fernent thaim it wid hulp!"

She turns to look at the bloodier and deader owlbears before turning back to Caspan. "Ye did that wi' yer fists? Color me impressed then, bruiser. Knocked thaim doon 'n' cut thaim up? That's okay ah figure. Ah figured ye wid be turning tail 'n' running awa' fae thaim! !"

Caspan squints as he tries to watch Kining's lips as she berates him.

He's about to ask "what" again, when he realizes she's praising him.

"Huh. Running don't get you anywhere if you don't know where you're going, 'cept a small cell. Don't really like killing if I don't have to, but beats being killed or locked up..."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

King puts her hands on her hips, standing her ground and not intending to give an inch in this battle of the wits between the dwarf and the brawler.

"Och really? A jyle? 'n' whit's it ye ken o' bein' in a jyle then? tell me?"

She watches his watch her lips which causes her to slow down and annunciate loudly. It doesn't help the words sound any better, only louder and drawing more attention. "AREN'T YE SOME KIND O' TOUN HERO OR SOMETHIN?"

She waves a hand dismissively, lowering her voice "Whin did ye git locked up in a cell? hmmm? Ah bet 'twas fur ye mistreated yer belongings 'n' pat holes in thaim a' th' time! "

Kining's Common:
"Oh really? A prison? And what is it you know of being in a prison then? Tell me? Aren't you some kind of town hero or something? When did you get locked up in a cell? Hmmm?

I bet it was because you mistreated your belongings and put holes in them all the time!"

* * *
While Thael talks with Jillian, a soft hand touches his shoulder from behind. "Hi Thael. Welcome home."

When he turns to look, Mia is standing behind him, trying to make her posture as small as possible as she hunches forward and speaks softly. "I missed. I mean, we missed you. We're glad you returned safely."

He thrusts a cracked green gem out towards him, palm upwards. Her voice gains excitement and volume as it's obvious she has been waiting to show you this for some time and just can't contain herself. "While you were gone I found this in the cavern. It's magical I am sure of it. I was hoping we could spend some time studying it together?"

* * *

Lirosa assists with the butchering under Selde's guidance, following instruction quite well and doing a decent job in the process. She takes the cuts to Jet to prepare for dinner and gets cleaned up before rejoining Selde for druidic rituals. She doesn't interrupt, but watches fascinated. She whispers "That sounded amazing? Can you teach me that too?"

In a flash of insight, Selde sees the surrounding Fangwood as a dense, hilly forest with hidden gullies and fast-moving streams. Of particular interest however, she catches the feeling there is another cave about two miles to the west of her current location that the party is currently unaware of.

* * *

After Jet receives some fresh owlbear cutlets, she seeks out Wren for her assistance in meal preparation. Overjoyed to have the halfling back in her company again, she asks for stories on her travels and findings during her adventures


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

If we have yet to convert the loot into currency, this will take place later.

After spending some time with the Mistholmies, Emil gets a good night's rest and rises early to work on enchanting his scythe. He notifies Austin, Mia, and Rhyna, as well as any of the smiths, about his plan and invites anyone interested to observe.

He gathers a thousand gp of his share of the divided spoils, into piles of gold, silver, and copper. He separates out another 300 gp worth for the spell to convert his farming scythe to masterwork quality. This takes about an hour of chanting, followed by a portion of the coinage turning into a gold or silver mist and settling into the blade and shaft, making subtle transformations to straighten out the irregularities and weak spots. In between each treatment, he inspects the blade and works it with his blacksmith tools, heating the metal, sanding and occasionally hitting a spot with a hammer. Gradually the weapon is transformed into a scythe whose blade shines and curves in a perfect arc, whose handle is made of fine hardwood, with decorative carvings of holly and wild roses.

Once the weapon is improved, he begins a similar process for the enchantment, turning the gold and silver into sparkling dust that then gets worked into the blade and handle. The blade gets heated, quenched in some special reagents, and sanded and polished. After hours of work, he is ready to transform the magical potential into reality with a ritual chant.

DC 8: Craft (weapons): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Chant completed the weapon momentarily glimmers gold and silver and then loses the glow and looks like a well crafted scythe. Emil examines it and casts detect magic on it to inspect the magical aura. He pronounces the enchantment a success and stands with the weapon. He finds an open area and swings the scythe as he would in battle and smiles as he finds it handles better, as if lighter and with better balance.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Father Emil commends Selde's use of the Lay of the Land spell to learn of new geographic locations. "I kin cast that 'un as well. We can scout an' cast, lookin' fer places clever rangers might make a fort. I got a new one I think could help as well. If'n we find a river, I put a finger in the river an concentrate, an' I can see what's along the river fer 'haps a couple a miles either way. Forts need water, so we might spot somethin' that way as well."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:

Lirosa assists with the butchering under Selde's guidance, following instruction quite well and doing a decent job in the process. She takes the cuts to Jet to prepare for dinner and gets cleaned up before rejoining Selde for druidic rituals. She doesn't interrupt, but watches fascinated. She whispers "That sounded amazing? Can you teach me that too?"

In a flash of insight, Selde sees the surrounding Fangwood as a dense, hilly forest with hidden gullies and fast-moving streams. Of particular interest however, she catches the feeling there is another cave about two miles to the west of her current location that the party is currently unaware of.

Selde breathed deeply as the sights, sounds, and smells of the Fangwood seeped in to her. With a slow exhale her focus came back to her. It took a moment for her to realize that Lirosa had spoken to her. "What? Oh...no?" Selde trailed off. Her grandfather had made it clear she was not to teach druidic secrets to outsiders. Had made it clear that his fellow druids would not hesitate to kill to keep their secrets. But Lirosa wasn't an outsider, and Selde had been instructed. "It's forbidden, teaching the language to others I mean...but I don't think it's forbidden for me to try to teach you how to become a druid. I don't know if I'd be able to, but I can try...if you'd like?"

Quote:
Father Emil commends Selde's use of the Lay of the Land spell to learn of new geographic locations. "I kin cast that 'un as well. We can scout an' cast, lookin' fer places clever rangers might make a fort. I got a new one I think could help as well. If'n we find a river, I put a finger in the river an concentrate, an' I can see what's along the river fer 'haps a couple a miles either way. Forts need water, so we might spot somethin' that way as well."

Father Emil gave Selde a chance to think about something other than spending more time with Lirosa and her grandfather's disapproval. "River divination? She said to herself more than Emil. "That's a great idea! It's difficult to maintain for long but it will definitely extend the range of our scouting." The old cleric had always put Selde at ease. "Speaking of scouting, I think I've found another cave to the west of here."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

When Father Emil begins his process of converting the scythe, he gathers quite the small crowd around to watch. Even Kining can be seen on the periphery muttering "Tis nae bad, ah suppose. Ah cuid hae dane a better jab maself."

* * *

Lirosa's shoulders slumped when Selde tells her no and that it's forbidden. When she offers to teach her the druidic ways however, she perks back up, eyes going wide. "You'd do that? For me? I think I'd like that. I'd like it a lot, actually." Barely able to contain herself, she lowers her voice and whispers "Are you allowed to do that? To teach me? I don't want to get you into trouble or anything."


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

”Jet, we’ve had the wildest time, I swear. I haven’t had much time to even tell you all about the crazy things we’ve seen. There have been bugbears literally everywhere. We fought a ton of them at their camp the other day. If it wasn’t for the others, I’d have been mincemeat, let me tell you. And those owlbears were awful. We’ve met so many awful things that just want to kill us or eat us. I never realized how much scary stuff was in this forest, to be honest with you. But somehow we’ve made it through all the awful things. The Green Lady has given us challenges left and right, but we’ve always met those challenges. She must have a plan, although sometimes I can’t tell what it is.”. She rambled on quite abit more.

”But, tell me Jett....how are you? How are the others? I barely have time to say hello to anyone here before I am off scouting or something like that. Is there anything you need? I appreciate you being such a good friend to me while all this is going on.”


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

With the decision made that the group was going to stay at the caves for a week or so to prepare for the journey ahead while sending out small scouting parties to the local area Jillian decided this would be the perfect time to slip away with Hunter and track down Derrick if she can for their proposed meeting where the Deepcut river meets the Old Tamran road. She's not foolish enough to go alone though with everything going on, so she will ask if anyone else would want to accompany her in the hopes of getting more news on their old home.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"When did I get locked up?!" Caspan shoots back at Kining, face going red. "I was in Molthune and they caught me! I probably would have died in that cell if I hadn't gotten free! Now they know what I look like and can indemnify me if I go back, so I can't just do that, can I? Came back to where I grew up and then the stupid hobs came, and now we're stuck here. I didn't say I was a town hero, they said it. I was just trying to do what's right!"

He face is red as he gesticulates animatedly while talking.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7
Quote:

While Thael talks with Jillian, a soft hand touches his shoulder from behind. "Hi Thael. Welcome home."

When he turns to look, Mia is standing behind him, trying to make her posture as small as possible as she hunches forward and speaks softly. "I missed. I mean, we missed you. We're glad you returned safely."

He thrusts a cracked green gem out towards him, palm upwards. Her voice gains excitement and volume as it's obvious she has been waiting to show you this for some time and just can't contain herself. "While you were gone I found this in the cavern. It's magical I am sure of it. I was hoping we could spend some time studying it together?"

Green gem:
The gem is a cracked emerald ellipsoid ioun stone.

Thael smiles in return as Mia welcomes him back. "Thank you for your kind thoughts, Mia. We are also happy to have returned safely, and are glad that nothing befell you while we were away."

As Mia shows him the stone she has found, he first raises an eyebrow, but upon further examination, he smiles broadly.

"Well done, Mia! As I have told you, I am fascinated by all things magical, and this is an Ioun stone, a magical item crafted by only the most powerful wizards! I would be glad to study it with you--you found it, after all. I once wrote a brief discourse on the subject--perhaps only three dozen pages. Let's take a look at it, shall we? Hmm--it does appear to be cracked."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:
Lirosa's shoulders slumped when Selde tells her no and that it's forbidden. When she offers to teach her the druidic ways however, she perks back up, eyes going wide. "You'd do that? For me? I think I'd like that. I'd like it a lot, actually." Barely able to contain herself, she lowers her voice and whispers "Are you allowed to do that? To teach me? I don't want to get you into trouble or anything."

"I think so, my grandfather taught me after all." Selde said softly. "And besides, I don't see any other druids around to argue the point. Not to mention that we can use all the strength nature is willing to lend us. I'm not the best druid, but I'll do my best to teach you what I know."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Jet goes on to explain to Wren what she's been up to the last week. . Trying to keep everyone fed out here can be challening, but they are definitely getting the hang of it. New wildlife and new animals make for new meals, she's been enjoying the challenge however. "I do miss my spices though, I think I miss that as much as I miss the people."

"We're expecting the trader back this week sometime. I had asked for some spices and I'm really hoping that they can bring some!"

* * *

Kining tilts her head as she watches Caspan get all spun up about being locked up. She holds up her hands and says "A' richt, a' richt noo. Na reason tae gang git yersel' a' worked up lik' that. Ah dinnae pay attention tae th' particulars o' a' body's lee, howfur wis ah suppose tae kna?"

Kining:
All right, all right now. No reason to go get yourself all worked up like that. I don't pay attention to the particulars of everyone's life, how was I supposed to know?

She turns around and shakes her head, walking off back towards the cave.

* * *

Mia is ecstatic about Thael's reaction and matches his smile right up until he mentions the gem she discovered is cracked. her smile fades and her shoulders slump "Oh. Is it worthless?"

* * *

Lirosa nods eagerly. "I'm sure you're the best druid there ever was! All of the things you've done to keep us safe? They are going to tell stories about you one day, I just know it!"

* * *

Is Jillian going alone or is anyone coming with her?


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil and Pila will volunteer to accompany Jillian on scouting trips, once he's enchanted his scythe. He'll prepare and cast Deadeye's Lore which gives him +4 on survival rolls for 5 hours for a net bonus of +15 on survival checks.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

As the others discuss their plans for the days ahead Jillian specifically asks them "I am going to go meet with the leader of that Molthune troop we ran across in the woods. He said they were going to scout out Pheander and would give us intel if we met and had any intel to provide to them. It shouldn't be too far to get there, but I don't think it is wise for me to go alone if anyone will join me."

Just to clarify what she plans to do.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren agrees to head out with Jillian and the Father. ”We’ve been so busy, I’d forgotten all about you agreeing to go meet him. Sure, you couldn’t keep me away from this at all. I’ve got to make sure you stay safe all out there in the woods with that sketchy guy...well, maybe he’s sketchy. I’m still not sure about all that.”


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Do we want to bring the entire party for that? I'm leaning towards having Selde stay at the caves and/or scout with the NPCs but she can definitely come along.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

I think it seems odd to all go. Let's play our characters how we would play them.

"Huh. Intel?" Caspan snorts. "Sounds like you want to play a little more grab ass. Which is fine, and I'm not going to rejudge you for it, but I'll be staying here, where it's almost comfortable, at least."

Caspan doesn't want to go, though he could probably be bullied into it.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael holds the green gem up for Mia. "Do not be saddened that it is cracked. It still retains much of its power," he says.

"This stone, without flaw, bestows a great boon of health upon its wielder. Cracked, it still offers protection, just not as much. This is still worth a couple of thousand gold, I am sure."

Reassuring the woman, he says "Tell me about how you found it? Were there any other items nearby?"

I think it would be appropriate to send out scouts, and have Selde go with them.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil grins at Caspan's suggestions as to Jillian's motives, but only for a moment. Never having children himself, he generally did not scold young lovers as harshly as their natural parents might. His mind begins to drift toward his memories of his own young an' lustful days, but he snaps back to the matter at hand.

"Perhaps if ya call me father, the young buck might behave better. No need fer them ta know it's jus' an honorary title. 'Sides, if'n he tries ta take advantage o' the situation, I'll take 'im ta task like a real pa ought." He runs a finger along the blade of his scythe for emphasis.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian rolls her eyes at Caspan's implications but he's not completely wrong. However, her main objective is to get information. Happy to let the others stay she will head out with Emil and Wren when they are prepared to depart.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Group Booty Call:

Father Emil, Jillian and Wren set off towards the Deepcut river where it meets the Old Tamran road, southern Chernasardo. The journey is uneventful, no hobgoblins or bugbears ambushing the trio along their trek.

Deciding it would be best to stay as far away from the road as possible they make they way to the fast-flowing Deepcut river and turn towards the Tamran road. They follow the river for most of the day and eventually make it to the rendezvous point just as the sun begins to set and the light begins to fade.

Following Jillian's exceptional eyesight, she leads the party over a hill and senses a campfire up ahead where four bodies are cooking an evening meal. Sensing the party's approach, they leap to their feet and quickly arm themselves and nock arrows in their bows. A stern female voice calls out "Identify yourselves!"

Group Misthome:

Mia shows Thael where she discovered the gem, covered in muck and stuck in one of the old animal skins they found in the living area in the cave. She's not aware of any more gems, but she says she doesn't know if there might be more in the hopes that Thael spends the time searching for the gem with her for as long as possible. She continually suggests they should check all of the skins for gems despite knowing it is likely a fruitless effort.

As Caspan returns to the caves to relax and take it easy and enjoy the downtime, Selde works with the group to discuss a scouting party to the other cave she sensed. She prepares to accompany them, but Lirosa insists she can lead it without Selde on some basis of false bravado or attempting to convince the druid she's a capable scout. Deciding it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some downtime, Selde takes a quick break and prepares a second wave of scouts when the first returns.

Hours later, commotion erupts at the entrance to the cave when Taidel calls for help. As a group runs to the entrance, the half-elf can be seen carrying a bloody and limp form of Lirosa over his shoulder. As soon as he makes it into the cave, he collapses from exhaustion.

It takes some for him to get it all out, but explains that while they were scouting a cave, a huge tree suddenly reached out with its branches and grabbed Mekhi. Lirosa charged into to rescue him but was knocked into a huge rock where she hit her head and went unconscious. Taidel scooped up Lirosa and made his escape back here, unable to save Mekhi. He's unsure of the fate of the other scout, stating he was alive when he left.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Damn it," Caspan growls. "Can't trust trees. Nothing good comes from them!

"Guess we better go see what happened to Mekhi and if he's still alive..."

2,551 to 2,600 of 3,036 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.