GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

CHAPTER 2 - FANGS OF WAR

Roll 20

LOOT!


2,501 to 2,550 of 3,242 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>

Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 20 Touch 13 FF 18 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 2/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil has a light spell illuminating the melee, so I don't think Caspan needs to make any miss percentile rolls, assuming those are for darkness.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Alie delays, knowing her spell couldn’t have the effect the second time.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Yeah. Wasn't sure, since the map was dark.

Caspan scratches his head, and wonders who Alie is.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Sorry for the delay, I've been in bed with the flu :(

With only a single enemy remaining, the group quickly collapses on it and sends it down to the ground as well. Selde's flame and Caspan's mighty fist eliminate the threat and bring the silence of night back to the camp. Caspan's blow to the head with his elbow did just enough to send the already wounded hobgoblin into unconsciousness so that the group could question him later.

Once they are sure that all of the soldiers have been eliminated except for their captive, the party makes their way back to camp. Along the way they spot the horse and wagon that the reinforcements rode in on.

How do you want to proceed? Back to sleep or pack up and go in the middle of the night?


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

After capturing the hobgoblin and making sure he is secure Jillian looks to the others "Let's wake him up and ask some questions, does anyone have anything to help compel him to give us answers?"

Either way, I say we tie up the horses and secure the cart and then finish resting for the night after we deal with the last hobgoblin.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Yeah, sure," Caspan says, cracking his knuckles before slamming one fist into his palm a couple times. "We can make him a bit encourageous to talk."

Agreed on Jillian's plan.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael agrees that resting for the night is still the best option. Hopefully, no more patrols would come during the remainder of the night.

"I will check to see whether their wagon held anything of value," the wizard says, walking over to the wagon and holding his black staff aloft with a light cantrip having been cast.

If he hadn't been weary before, he surely was now. Even the thought of sleeping in a bedroll on the hard ground seemed appealing now.

perception take 20: 20 + 7 = 27


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren was exhausted. She counted down her remaining watch time, ready to pass right out once her duty was over.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Thael finds the wagon was primarily used as a transport device to bring soldiers into the camp, most of the space situated for seating arrangements. There is a box of supplies tucked into the corner of the cart however that contains four potions of cure light wounds, two potions of cure moderate wounds, antitoxin, and five provision points.

With the horse, cart and prisoner secured, the party wakes him up to begin their questioning. Caspan stands overtop of him, looking down menacingly and ready to at least play the part of putting more punishment on him if the need arose. Pulling off his gag, he blurts out violently in anger "Scabvistin is going to rip you all limb from limb for what you've done here. You have no idea the level of pain that will be brought down upon you!"


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Yeah? Well we might just dismemberate you too, your not careful," Caspan threatens right back. "Tell us what we want to know and maybe we'll let you go. Or at least make you to your sender painlessly."

The threat might be more intimidating if Caspan didn't struggle quite as much with basic Common as he does, or if he gave some hint what the group wants to know.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14 Wah-wah...


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian shakes her head at Caspan's attempt to intimidate the hobgoblin and tries a slightly different approach. "See you really shouldn't be blaming us for this mess. Had your precious Scabvistin not attacked us then none of this would have happened. However, that's not important now. What is important is the situation you currently find yourself in. See you are in a bit of a lose-lose situation. If you don't cooperate with us you lose because we won't have any need for you. If you do cooperate with us you and we let you live you still lose because if you somehow manage to be the sole survivor of this horrible affair then you'll either be thought to have been a coward or your people will know you cooperated with us and we let you go. Either way, you have no hopes of returning to your former life."

She shakes her head with a frown on her face "It's a bad situation to be sure, however there is a way out of it for you. You can turn this from a lose-lose to a win-win. Give up your misguided allegiance to Scabvistin who is going to lead your people to ruin and join us. Of course, initially we will have to learn to trust one another and you'll need to be bound and watched but in time, should your help prove fruitful perhaps there could be something more, perhaps you could even play an important role in saving the rest of your people one day. It's really your only option."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren didn’t feel diplomatic, but she tried to help the group.

”Give up Scabvitin’s position and tell us all you know about him, and we can help you.”

Aid another diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Caspan's attempt at intimidation is pretty pathetic and seems only to antagonize the prisoner. He spits in Caspan's face and curses at him in goblin tongue.

Jillian and Wren's approach meets with different results. While he doesn't beg for inclusion in your group, his venomous attitude disappears and takes on more of and unfriendly retort. "There just nothing you can do to stop Scabvisitin. He has thousand Ironfang, you have six."


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian shrugs "We were outnumbered here and we still triumphed. I think you give Scabvisitin too much credit and you don't give us enough. Either way, like I said you don't really have a great alternative to not helping us, so you may as well help us."

If he doesn't cooperate now, I saw we keep him alive and bring him back with us (blindfolded of course) and continue to try and diplomacy him some more.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde did not speak or respond during the group's interrogation of the hobgoblin. She stood silently, her eyes like daggers, with a white knuckle grip on her bow.

I'm fine with that, however Selde's only intention is to kill him.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael can sense his sister's tension.

"I know what you're thinking--we will get nothing from this prisoner, and would be better off without him," the wizard whispers to her.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Thael Silverstep wrote:

Thael can sense his sister's tension.

"I know what you're thinking--we will get nothing from this prisoner, and would be better off without him," the wizard whispers to her.

"What I'm thinking..." Selde did not say softly before cutting herself off. Her anger had momentarily fixated itself on her brother. Taking a breath to compose herself, her amber eye softened in apology, but her violet eye remained fixed on her enemy. "I don't want to say what I'm thinking...but yes, this is a risk without benefit." she whispered.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The prisoner grunts in what could be taken for affirmation to Jillian's comment. You sense no further information immediately forthcoming from him and you are all beyond exhausted. Gagging him and ensuring his bonds are secure, you finally return to bedding down for the night.

The remainder of the night passes peacefully and you are all quite stiff and sore the following morning as the sun rises. There is a lot of work to be done this day and you know the longer your stick around here the more trouble there likely will be.

What's the plan? Pack up the cart full of supplies, take the prisoner and head to the caves?


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Sounds like a plan to me. Selde will follow behind to help cover our tracks.

Survival; Take10: 10 + 10 = 20


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Agreed. That's the plan. Prisoner is bound and blindfolded. And gagged.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

As they get everything in order and prepare to set out Jillian goes to check on the prisoner. She brings him some breakfast removing the gag and blindfold, she helps to feed him to ensure he stays bound though. As he eats she asks "So did you give it any more thought. Soon enough you will see we aren't as few as you think, but the others may not be as accepting as I am. You've got to give me something so I can show the others you are worth taking a chance on. We are your only real option now, so you might as well make the best of it and cooperate with us."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30

Yup, pack everything up and take the prisoner with us.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

It's a couple days of travel back and forth from the Ironfang camp and the caves to properly loot all the valuables. The people of the Hemlock Banner all cheer when they return triumphant and with the news that Scarvinious' forces have been defeated.

The chest of looted property is one of the highlights of the treasures returned to the caves. The rediscovery of Jet's kapenia -- a treasured Varisian heirloom -- and a collection of Rhyna's charms delight both women and they joyously redouble their efforts in managing the burgeoning community. Both Jet and Rhyna may receive a promotion!

After a few more days, the Darklands trader again comes to call, and the party is able to sell off or trade many of the items looted from the camp and place new orders for specialized gear.

However, Lirosa and Taidel return briefly with distressing news from a scouting expedition. The Ironfang legion has fortified their hold on Phaendar and troops have spread across the Nesmian Plains. Unfortunately, striking at the hobgoblins occupying their home town would yet be folly. Their count of troops must number in the thousands.

While the hobgoblins' efforts to find the refugees in the Fangwood appear to have been broken by the destruction of Camp Redjaw, the Legion continues on the march and it's only a matter of time before they head into the Fangwood.

BOOK 2: FANGS OF WAR

The news of the scouts brings with it a sort of melancholy over the Phaendarian refugees. The news they brought of their home is dire. The usual strategies of the Nirmathi -- fall back, regroup, then hit and fade until the Molthuni invaders retreat -- seem a folly thanks to news of the fortifications by the Iron Legion.

The settlement of the caves feel more and more permanent, and the name that several of the settlers have given it -- "Misthome," a play on the mists that fill the lower level and the homonym "missed home" -- begins to stick. However, it's proximity to the rapidly intensifying fortification of Phaendar feels more and more like a liability. The destruction of Camp Redjaw grants a temporary reprieve at best.

The day after the group arrives back at the caves, Aubrin gathers the heroes. "My friends, I'm worried about the scouting reports. I think we're safe here in Misthome for a while, but as long as the Legion is expanding across the Plains, we can't assume we'll always be."

She leans on her staff, weighing their options for a time before she speaks again. "There's the passage to the Darklands, but I think that's folly. We're not a military force, so there's nothing really we can do to take the fight to the hobgoblins. So I've been thinking about where else we could go. And that's deeper into the Fangwood, to find the hidden forts of the Chernasardo Rangers. I can't tell you where they are, but I'm aware that three of them exist north of here, probably past that camp you took out. Fort Nunder, Fort Ristin, and Fort Trevalay. The Rangers have to be told about the Legion's expansion, if they're not aware of it already. And from what I've been told, the forts are probably big enough to support our community, and keep them safe. Safer than here, practically a stone's throw from Phaendar."

She looks at the heroes' faces expectantly. "Well? What do you think?"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian nods to Aubrin's words "That's a good idea. Other than north, do you have any other details about where these forts may be? Is there anyone you are aware of in the area that we can try to find that might know more?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Aubrin sighs and shakes her head no "I'm afraid not. The Rangers are a secretive bunch and I don't know anyone else we could possibly seek out. I think our best bey is searching for the Forts themselves, but I could be wrong. The Rangers are active all throughout the Southern Fangwood. North is all I have, I'm afraid."

At first feeling useful, she suddenly feels less so when she can't present additional information to help the group.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

The news from the scouts supports something Thael had been thinking almost since they arrived: this cavern would prove a temporary reprieve from danger, at best.

"I must concur with your analysis," he says. "To stay here would be folly, and the Darklands provide even more danger, if that is possible. We should search for these forts. Finding the rangers has been our goal from the beginning, and this remains our best option."


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

”I’ve heard about those Rangers. Maybe they could help, assuming the hobgoblins didn’t sneak up on them the way they did us. It’s worth a shot to go find them and see,” Wren says after commiserating with Jet about her happy return.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan just grunts, not all that happy that he has to leave the sort of comfortable caves, but knowing that the others probably couldn't find the forts without him.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 20 Touch 13 FF 18 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 2/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil is silent and brooding for during the questioning of the prisoner and the trip home. He keeps Pila near the prisoner with instructions to attack him if he escapes his bonds. He sharpens his scythe and mediates on the spells he has access too, as his devotion to Erastil seems to be rewarded with new and better spells to prepare.

He agrees that a trip to find the ranger forts is as good a plan as can be formed. He reminds folks we have a number of supernatural ways to aid our search plus the knowledge that the rangers will likely see the group and initiate conversation, which should lead to an invitation to the camps. "All we really need ta do is move in their general direction and we can count on them finding us."

He's not as confident about this as he sounds, but he wants to give people hope.

Emil also offers to improve anyone's weapons or armor if we have a few days before heading off. Emil has the feat to craft weapons and armor and has a spell that can convert a normal weapon into a masterwork weapon for the cost of the difference in price.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Diplomacizing:

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

If we are not setting out immediately to craft/etc (since I assume we could have some downtime between books) Jillian also has a date to keep with a certain handsome Molthuni.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Riversight and Lay of the Land should be helpful for scouting for the Rangers. I'd love to get a +1 to Selde's bow.

"We can't do anything with the forces we have on hand, we'll need the Rangers' help." Selde said softly. But what about the prisoner? It isn't safe to leave him here and it isn't safe to take him with us."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

There are obviously consequences for staying in the caves indefinitely, but the timeline for setting out is entirely up to you.

Speaking of the prisoner, you recall that over the last few days as you made your way back to the camp that the hobgoblin has grown more complacent and less hostile. He hasn't spoken of joining your ranks or anything, but he no longer speaks of your impending death at the hand of the Irongfang legion. Most of the time he simply sits quietly and keeps to himself. The last time he was brought food, he even thanked you for it.

* * *

Aubrin listens to the discussion and then asks the collective group "So are we to stay put here and we just do more scouting then? Or do you want to move the group proper again?"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian shakes her head "I don't think moving the whole group yet is a good idea, although it probably is worth setting up a rendezvous point in case any trouble does come knocking. Maybe the camp we recently destroyed? Either way, I worry if we move the whole group it will put a strain on everyone and risks drawing the attention of the Legion." She looks to the others for their thoughts on the matter.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Yeah, it's safe here, out of the weather," Caspan agrees. "We don't need to mobilate everyone until we find these new forts."

He wonders whether Emil could make his fists better, but figures they're pretty much works of art already, so what's to improve.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

”I think it is safer here for at east a few days for most of our group. If we can find one of these forts, we can hurry right back and grab everyone and get out of here, lickety split. I can’t believe there are that many hobgoblins in our little town. I mean, what could they possibly want there?”


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Before much more can be discussed, Lirosa runs into the caves, shouting an alarm. "Help! There's three large monsters on the ridge! We're moving the herd, but we think they've got their scent! They're big, like bears, but they hoot and cry like no bears I've ever heard!"

As the heroes respond and approach where Lirosa guides them, they see crashing through the brush three large, bird-faced monstrosities with a mix of feathers and fur hooting and roaring. The eight foot tall creatures that easily weigh fifteen-hundred pounds or more each catch their scent and with terrifying speed turn and close in on the party before they can properly set themselves.

Two of the large creatures slash their claws at Caspan, the brawler managing to dodge one set of razors but not the other (9 damage). Jillian has one of the large bear-like creatures towering over her that slashes her across the chest (6 damage)..

Knowledge Arcana DC14:
These creatures are owlbears. Owlbears are notoriously bloodthirsty killers, well known for their short tempers, aggression, and savage nature. They tend to attack without provocation, slaughtering any living creatures that cross their paths. Many scholars that have encountered these creatures in the wild have noted that they all have red-rimmed eyes that roll about wildly when they close in for an attack. This is sometimes presented as a sign of madness, suggesting that all owlbears are born with a pathological need to fight and kill, but more level-headed researchers believe that it’s simply part of the way the massive bird-beast’s keen eyes are constructed.

R1: Big-bear-like creatures, Thael, Father Emil, Caspan, Jillian, Wren, Selde

GM:

Init: Caspan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Init: Father Emil: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Init: Jillian: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Init: Selde: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Init: Thael: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Init: Wren: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Init: Owlbears: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Attack Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Know. Arcana 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

”Oh no, these are owlbears! They are really mean suckers...watch out for their nasty beaks and claws!”. Wren casts Bless on the group.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian winces as one of the owlbears slashes across her chest. She hadn't seen creatures like this before but with their outright attack she decides it's best to deal with them with force rather than attempt to calm them somehow. She shouts out to the others "Focus on one and then the next! If any have magic to incapacitate some until we can deal with the others that would be useful."

She attacks the one that had just clawed at her and then takes a step back to draw it in.

Attack, PA, FF: 1d20 + 8 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 8 - 2 + 2 = 25
Damage, PA: 2d6 + 4 + 6 ⇒ (5, 4) + 4 + 6 = 19


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Nàdar, tha feum agam air caidreachas." Selde chanted in Druidic as she began casting.

Converting Thorny Entanglement to Summon Nature's Ally 3, full round action


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Everyone please remember Bless when it comes up as I didn’t highlight that in my last post.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Status:

HP 45/54
AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17, CMD 21 (+2 vs. dirty trick; +3 vs. trip)
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +1 (+2 resistance bonus to recover from a continuing effect)
Unbreakable Survivor (8 hp) 0/1
Martial Flexibility 0/5; knockout (DC 16) 1/1
Effects: Steadfast gutstone, bless

Caspan grunts as the creature claws him, sounding not much more coherent than the owlbears themselves. Ignoring Jillian, he punches back at the creature that hurt him, trying to put it out of the fight immediately.

Using knockout on the first attack
Brawler's flurry (unarmed, Power Attack): 1d20 + 10 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 4 + 1 = 25
Damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Brawler's flurry (unarmed, Power Attack): 1d20 + 10 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 10 - 4 + 1 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Knockout rounds: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Knockout, DC 16:
At 4th level, once per day a brawler can unleash a devastating attack that can instantly knock a target unconscious. She must announce this intent before making her attack roll. If the brawler hits and the target takes damage from the blow, the target must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw (DC = 10 + 1/2 the brawler's level + the higher of the brawler's Strength or Dexterity modifier) or fall unconscious for 1d6 rounds. Each round on its turn, the unconscious target may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect as a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Creatures immune to critical hits or nonlethal damage are immune to this ability. At 10th level, the brawler may use this ability twice per day; at 16th level, she may use it three times per day.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Caspan be like.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Hmmm--map is showing all black for me.

Thael moves to confront the owlbears, feeling more confident with his full repertoire of spells.

He casts one he has been researching, and

heightened battering blast (DC 21, CL 7)

ranged touch: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
dmg: 4d6 ⇒ (6, 1, 5, 4) = 16
bull rush attempt: 1d20 + 6 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 5 = 18

Battering Blast:
You hurl a fist-sized ball of force resembling a sphere of spikes to ram a designated creature or object. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike your target. On a successful hit, you deal 1d6 points of force damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d6). For every 5 caster levels you possess beyond 5th, you gain a second ball of force.

A creature struck by any of these is subject to a bull rush attempt. The force has a Strength modifier equal to your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier (whichever is highest). The CMB for the force’s bull rush uses your caster level as its base attack bonus, adding the force’s Strength modifier and a +10 bonus for each additional blast directed against the same target. Each sphere of force makes its own separate bull rush attempt—if multiple spheres strike one target, you make multiple CMB checks but only take the highest result to determine success. If the bull rush succeeds, the force pushes the creature away from you in a straight line, and the creature must make a Reflex save or fall prone.

This spell pushes an unattended object struck by it 20 feet away from you, provided it weighs no more than 25 pounds per level (maximum 250 pounds). This spell cannot move creatures or objects beyond your range. Used on a door or other obstacle, the spell attempts a Strength check to destroy it if the sheer damage inflicted by the spell doesn’t do the job.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

I sorta forgot to add Thael to the woods, he's still sitting back in the Ironfang camp. All better now though !"

Selde starts casting a spell while Wren blesses her allies.

Both Jillian and Caspan are successful in burying their weapons of destruction into the muscled flesh of the owlbears.

There are three owlbears, which is Thael targeting?

Thael's battering blsat slams into the owlbear, inflicting moderate amounts of damage, but is unsuccessful in pushing it back.

Father Emil is up

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Now that I can see them, I'll target Red. I'll also step back.
:)


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Father Emil - Scythe Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Father Emil moves up beside Caspan to try and help bring down the large owlbear, but he trips on a root as he closes the gap and his scythe slams into the dirt at the creature's feet. He turns around and signals for Pila to join him and she runs up and bites into the leg of the creature, ripping and shredding at its musclebound legs.

The three owlbears renown ferocity is on full display as they utterly ravage Jillian and Caspan. Claws fly and shred the armor and flesh of the two front liners, again, again and again. Each owlbear slashes twice followed by a nasty bite from their razor-sharp teeth. In the nine attacks that they unleash, only one claw comes up short on its attack against Caspan. The first claw that strikes Jillian does so critically, ripping open an artery on her neck.

The three towering owlbears let roar in triumph after a brutal assault. The party knows it cannot sustain another round like that or both of their front liners will be killed.

Jillian gets hit by 2 claws, and a bite, one of the claws critically striking her - 29 damage.

Caspan gets hit by 3 claws and 2 bites, 41 damage.

R2: Owlbears, Thael, Father Emil, Caspan, Jillian, Wren, Selde

GM:

Attack Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Confirm Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Damage: 2d6 + 8 ⇒ (3, 4) + 8 = 15
Attack Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Attack Jillian: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Attack Caspan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Pila: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
GRab: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Could we have Pila move up and attack with Emil as well, GM?


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren casts Id Insinuation on the owlbear that had just ravaged Caspan.

DC 18 Will to Resist. If fails, acts as Confusion Spell so long as Wren maintains Concentration.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

I'll retcon Pila's advance and attack into a charge with spring and pounce.

Pila's charge into the owlbear tears into it, laying into it with all five of her attacks and viciously shredding the leg of the beast.

claw 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
claw 1 Damage: 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

claw 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
claw 2 Damage: 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

rake 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
rake 1 Damage: 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

rake 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
rake 2 Damage: 1d3 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Grapple, Maintain: 1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 11 + 5 = 18
Bite Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

The magical creature is able to fight off Wren's spell, but still remains confused. Remember confusion ends when the creature is attacked and it will counterattack.

Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde finished her casting as a leopard materialized to flank the owlbear Jillian was engaged with. Without hesitation, Selde drew an arrow, took aim, and loosed at the same owlbear.

Leopard, move action study Target, standard action attack blue owlbear.

Bite; Flank: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 2 = 26
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Claw 1; Flank: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 2 = 14
Damage 1: 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Claw 2; Flank: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 = 11
Damage 2: 1d3 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

C. Longbow; Bless, ST, PBS: 1d20 + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 9 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 15
Arrow; ST, PBS: 1d8 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 2 + 1 = 7


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian is surprised at the vicious assault from the owlbear, but she know that if it gets past her it will make short work of the others. She quickly reaches for her neck as radiant energy forms in her hand and works to seal some of the wounds.

LoH: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

She then plant her feet and takes up a defensive stance in hopes of helping to protect from a further onslaught while she attacks.

Attack, Bless, PA, FF, Flank, Def: 1d20 + 8 + 1 - 2 + 2 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 1 - 2 + 2 + 2 - 4 = 17
Damage, PA: 2d6 + 4 + 6 ⇒ (5, 5) + 4 + 6 = 20

Status:

HP: 14/43
AC: 21

2,501 to 2,550 of 3,242 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.