GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

CHAPTER 2 - FANGS OF WAR

Roll 20

LOOT!


2,601 to 2,650 of 3,037 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian calls out to the woman "We are looking for Derrick, we have some information him."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Haha one of my other characters was just talking about wanting to fight a tree. Can Selde identify anything from Taidel's description?

Selde rushes towards the collapsed twins. "Nàdar, slànaich na lotan sin." A healing green light shone from Selde's hand as she touched the wound on Lirosa's head.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Relief washes over Selde as Lirosa's wound begins to knit together. Her feelings of relief are quickly replaced by feelings of guilt. I should have kept to myself, I should have gone with them, I shouldn't have opened up, I should have gone with them, I should have trained them better, I should have gone with them, I shouldn't have trained them at all, I should have gone with them." On and on her thoughts continued, battering at Selde like a storm. She trembled as she struggled to breathe, tears welling in her amber eye.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The stranger in the dark calls back 'Who's asking for Derrick and what information do you have?" She doesn't make any attempt to lower their guard or offer anything up quite yet.

* * *

Meanwhile back at camp, Lirosa is brought back to the land of the conscious with Selde's magic. She is quite embarrassed in front of the druid and apologized profusely for failing. Though her physical wounds may have been healed, it's quite obvious her mental state is till one of failure. Tears slip from her eyes as she looks away from Selde and mutters "I'm a failure. I don't deserve your training. I should just go be a cook with Jet instead where I can't let people down."

She and Taidel both describe something some specific that Selde can't help but wonder if they are talking about a Treant, the huge 30' tall tree guardians of the forest.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

”Jillian, maybe we should just get out of here. They seem less friendly than they were last time and that’s saying something,” Wren whispered to her friend.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian shakes her head to Wren "Seems about on par to the way they acted last time."

She calls back to the woman "My name is Jillian. I'm a friend of Derrick's he asked me to meet him if I had more information, which I do. Can you please go get him?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:
Tears slip from her eyes as she looks away from Selde and mutters "I'm a failure. I don't deserve your training. I should just go be a cook with Jet instead where I can't let people down."

Selde saw Lirosa speak, but it took her mind some time to process the words. "...Just rest." Selde said softly as she rose and began readying Nur and her equipment.

Quote:

"Damn it," Caspan growls. "Can't trust trees. Nothing good comes from them!

"Guess we better go see what happened to Mekhi and if he's still alive..."

"We must be careful, Treants are dangerous foes, arrows and fists will pose little threat. They also do not usually attack in such a manor without provocation, without danger to the forest. It might be blighted, or agitated beyond reason due to the hobgoblins.

Turning to her brother, Selde began to whisper to him in Elvish. "I don't know what to do. It would be best to wait for the others to return but I doubt...I doubt Mehki would still be alive by the time they return. If he even still is."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The stranger replies "Wait there. Don't move." before turning and walking off towards a tree in the distance past the campfire.

Several minutes pass while the others keep their weapons trained on you without a word. Eventually the stranger emerges from the distance with a second person who drops down from a tree. It is difficult to make out their faces given the lighting and the distance, but quite quickly it becomes apparent it's a friendly face when he holds his hands out welcoming the trio.

"You came!" he announces in a throaty chuckle. "Or should I say, you lived!" he laughs again as he continues to walk forward. Approaching within five feet of Jillian, Derrick crosses his arms and stops several feet away. "So, how'd it go?" he asks curiously with a smirk evident on his face.

**********

Lirosa doesn't protest and lays her head back and closes her eyes, groaning in pain from some of her internal injuries. "So. Stupid." she mutters to herself, trying to refrain from further crying.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"I got an ax. That usually teaches a tree how to behave," Caspan points out. "Or fire. If we conflarate it, it probably will stop bothering us.

"If we wait, though, ol' Mikey's gonna be dead. If he isn't already..." He says ominously.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian smiles as she finally sees Derrick walking up. She shrugs to his question "As well as can be expected, we are still here and they are not. How was your trip to Pheander, did you see the truth of the matter?"

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7
Selde Cathron wrote:


Turning to her brother, Selde began to whisper to him in Elvish. "I don't know what to do. It would be best to wait for the others to return but I doubt...I doubt Mehki would still be alive by the time they return. If he even still is."

Thael had just finished searching for additional lost magical items with Mia when the commotion erupted at the caves. He watches pensively as Selde heals the returned scout.

When his sister talks to him about their course of action, he also responds in Elven.

"You are correct that to confront such a creature with only part of our group would be dangerous. But also that Mahki will not survive long if injured. Perhaps we could survey the location from afar and either distract it away from Mehki, or have someone sneak in and retrieve her," the wizard says.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Derrick smiles as well as he stares at Jillian who is only illuminated by the distant camp fire. "Indeed we did. Are you interesting in a little information exchange?"

If she seems to acknowledged positively, he will hold his hand out for her to take and close the gap between them and start walking the away from both of the groups.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil gestures to Pila that she stays with Wren. Then without saying a word, he gestures to Wren to keep watch on the camp. He then keeps the pair in sight but giving them their privacy. He tries to keep where he can see Wren and Jillian.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian takes his hand with a slight smile and walks a short distance away from the camp and her companions. When they are a safe distance away she starts "I'm glad we were able to meet again." She lingers on the thought for a moment before continuing "Um... anyway, yes so we found the hobgoblin encampment. We managed to slay the whole camp but other than gear there wasn't any useful intelligence. However, the next day some reinforcements arrived and we managed to capture one after dispatching the others. I've been working on him to turn him to our side and give us information but no luck as of yet."

She looks Derrick squarely in the eyes and notes "Your turn, what of Pheander?"


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Thael Silverstep wrote:
Selde Cathron wrote:


Turning to her brother, Selde began to whisper to him in Elvish. "I don't know what to do. It would be best to wait for the others to return but I doubt...I doubt Mehki would still be alive by the time they return. If he even still is."

Thael had just finished searching for additional lost magical items with Mia when the commotion erupted at the caves. He watches pensively as Selde heals the returned scout.

When his sister talks to him about their course of action, he also responds in Elven.

"You are correct that to confront such a creature with only part of our group would be dangerous. But also that Mahki will not survive long if injured. Perhaps we could survey the location from afar and either distract it away from Mehki, or have someone sneak in and retrieve her," the wizard says.

Selde was quite for a moment before nodding in agreement with her brother. "Alright...I hope you've prepared fire magic today. Let Aubrin we are going, and to send the others if they get back before we do." With a graceful leap Selde mounted Nur.

We'll head to the location where Taidel told us the attack happened, keeping stealth up. Don't forget about Stealth Synergy.

Stealth: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Aubrin overhears the commotion and insists on accompanying the group. "If Mehki needs some healing, I'm coming with you. I'll probably slow you down, so don't wait on my and travel ahead as quickly as you can, but I'll be there."

Using their expertise in moving quietly, the trio sets off towards the location following Taidel's description. Selde keeps the group quiet along the way, both Caspan and Thael taking her lead on where to step and when to move slowly.

Eventually the path becomes evident when she picks up the signs of blood that likely was Lirosa's when her brother carried her back to Misthome. Slowing their approach even more, they move through the forest until they find what they are looking for.

A hundred feet ahead stands an entrance to a cave on the north hillside. Thirty feet in front of the cave entrance is a huge tree that is exactly as was described. It's bark is knotted into vaguely humanoid features, with branches for arms and roots for legs.

Laying fifteen feet to the east of the tree is Mekhi, his body motionless and surrounded by a pool of red liquid that is likely blood.

1d20 ⇒ 9

* * * * * * *

The others around the camp lower their weapons when Derrick takes Jillian's hand and begins to walk off. Though they ease out of alarm status, they all still stand facing Father Emil and Jillian with their weapons at the ready.

A short distance away from the fire and out of immediate sight of the others, Derrick asks incredulously "You mean to tell me you slew the entire camp? All of them? The six of you? I must say I'm impressed. Either you travel with tremendous magic or your skills in combat far exceed what I initially assumed."

After a pause he smirks and turns to face Jillian "I am quite glad we did not come to blows on that trail now! It would have been terrible to have defeated such warriors before you had a chance to strike down those Ironfang!"

After a chuckle he continues on "Phaendar is a lost cause. If I were you, I would get as far away from it as possible. We tried to scout it the best we could, but honestly, there is a massive army there. I'm talking thousands of troops Jillian, thousands. We did not see any troops arriving through any route nearby, so it's clear they are using some other method of transportation to get the soldiers there."

"They are also fortifying the place, turning it into a stronghold of sorts. I fear that their intentions lie far outside of that little town."

While still holding Jillian's left hand with his right, Derrick places his left hand on her cheek. "I think you should let these others return to your group and you should stay with us. With me. We could use your quick tongue and skills with a blade."


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren stands beside the priest as Jillian and her friend go talk privately. ”Well, it’s sure a right pretty day, isn’t it,” she says out loud, hoping to make the situation a little less awkward.

”You don’t have to keep those weapons pointed at us, you know.”. She points at a nice comfy looking section of grass. ”I’m going to sit down right here for a bit. Please don’t shoot me. They might be gone for a while, you know.”. Wren slowly moves to the spot and takes a seat.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Can you try to heal him without getting too close to the tree, Aubrin?" Caspan asks, leading the blind woman to a better spot.

Hoping to get Mekhi in range for a channel without coming into the tree's reach. Let's see if he's alive...


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil keeps his scythe with the curved side resting on the ground. He puts a fraction of his weight on the handles, resting without sitting. He regards the group and tries to read their faces and postures for indications of their attitude.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

He hopes they do not try anything that would force a fight. He is wearing of the smell of blood and the sound of bodies being broken. He has felt this way before, years ago, when he was young. He fought with his countrymen against invaders from Molthune.

The only good thing to come of that time was meeting the woman who would have been his wife and the mother of a child had she not been killed in the aftermath by a group such as this. He regards them without anger, thoughts of revenge long ago buried. But he knows, if push comes to shove, they would be resurrected again.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian listens to Derrick's words. She smiles when he jests and shakes her head in disappointment of the news of Pheander. When he gently touches her face and suggests she let her group return without her and she joins Derrick she actually considers it for a moment, though her attention is focused much more on his touch then anything else. However, she shakes her head letting out a deep breath. She smiles as she looks in Derrick's eyes "As much as I would enjoy more time to get to know you, I can't leave the others. This whole mess, I think it may be my fault. I mean, everything was fine until I returned home to Pheander and then this happened. I think somehow maybe I brought this on the town..." she shrugs, a pained look on her face.

"Anyway, I can't just abandon them, especially with things as bad as you say. I need to make sure they stay safe, I need to make sure Pheander survives, if not in the town itself, then in the people who used to call it home." With a smile returning to her face she nudges Derrick "You know, you could join ..." she hesitates a moment before saying "... us." Her cheeks flush a bit as it is pretty apparent she had intended to say me.

She pulls her hand away and turns slightly to look back toward Emil and Wren as she continues "You are right though between your reports and what our own scouts have found, it isn't safe for us to stay where we are, we need to get away from town. Do you know anywhere safe we might be able to seek refuge? We thought about trying to find the Rangers, but we have no idea where to look."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Caspan Saal wrote:

"Can you try to heal him without getting too close to the tree, Aubrin?" Caspan asks, leading the blind woman to a better spot.

Hoping to get Mekhi in range for a channel without coming into the tree's reach. Let's see if he's alive...

"I could attempt to distract the treant. Lure it away while y'all retrieve Mekhi." Selde said softly.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Looks like there is no new posts because mine never went through yesterday :\

At the Molthune camp, the others just watch Wren sit and Father Emil stand and watch without much of a word or sign of relaxing in their posture. You don't get the general feeling that they trust the Nirmathians to not instigate something untoward and that they are only tolerating your presence because of Derrick's instruction.

Derrick shakes his head at Jillian's insinuation she caused this. "There is no way this is your fault. There are thousands of Irfonfang in there. Whatever they are doing, whatever they are planning, this is a long time coming. This type of coordination and battle planning likely took months if not years to assemble and put into play. Your arrival is nothing more than fortuitous, knowing you saved the lives of many. If anything you should be proud, not shamed. And they managed to live their whole lives without you protecting them, right? Surely they can do without you while you find some place to step away from battle for a time?"

He then frowns at the thought of joining forces "There is no way we could join you. Molthuni and Nirmathi may be able to work together for brief periods of time, but in the end it would cause trouble between our troops. That is why I just want you to accompany me. The two of us together could find a nice quiet place to get to know each other better. You're quick with the sharp word and apparently deadly with that blade of yours. I can think of nothing more than spending some time away from the fight with you."

Turning to face her squarely now, he lets go of her hand and places his other hand on her other cheek while looking down at her. "What do you say? Let's step away from all of this craziness for a few weeks. You can always go back if you get tired of me."

* * *

While Jillian had a tall Molthuni trying to steal her heart, the situation back at Misthome was more dire. Mekhi still hadn't moved and the party decided to make an attempt to get him back on his feet. Aubrin turned to Caspan and nodded "Get me close, I will try." she answers.

Caspan leads Aubrin towards Mekhi, trying to keep as much distance between the tree as possible. Selde moves in the opposite direction, waiting to provide a distraction should one be needed. When Aubrin is about thirty feet away she raises her holy symbol and an explosion of positive energy bursts from her body to everything around her. Caspan feels a slight gush of warmth as the healing washes over him. Whether Mekhi feels it or not is unknown, his body seemingly doesn't react to the energy and still remains motionless.

The huge tree does take note of their efforts however, the large branches reaching down and picking up a huge rock in its hand.

RUN! Aubrin screams as she recognizes the situation is about to deteriorate.

Selde tries to get the attention of the tree, but it clearly has its sights on Caspan and Aubrin now. It flings the rock with tremendous speed an accuracy, catching Aubrin in her back as she tries to turn and run. Damage: 2d6 + 13 ⇒ (5, 2) + 13 = 20

Aubrin topples over and rolls on the ground, knocked off balance by the destructive force of the rock. She climbs back to her feet, grimacing in pain, blood streaming down from an open wound on her head and asks "What now?"

GM:

Flying Rock: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

With their group diminished and this creature looking incredibly formidable, Thael decides to summon some additional help.

"I will try to hold them off with some reinforcements!" he exclaims as he begins casting a summoning spell.

Plan? I had hoped we could distract it or sneak in and retrieve the body. I'm guessing he's dead, and I'd rather not add more to the tally. I was thinking of trying diplomacy, but it's already attacking us.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian pauses again as Derrick suggests them finding someplace quiet to get to know one another. That was half of the reason she was returning home in the first place, to get away from the fighting for awhile and live some semblance of a normal life for a little bit. As she considers it though the thought of Nolean dead at the hands of the hobgoblins flashed in her mind, then the thought of Rhyna meeting a similar fate crossed her mind. She pulls back from Derrick with a sad look in her eyes as she quietly says "I... I can't... not yet anyway. Not until they are safe..."

She lets out a heavy sigh and forces a smile "Maybe I can meet you again though? Or... or maybe there is somewhere I can come and find you when this is over?" She looks him in the eyes as she continues to ask "Either way, if you know anything that could help me see them to safety, anything that will help us survive I would really appreciate it..."


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Well, if he's dead, guess he can feed the worms. Or tree," Caspan says, pulling the woman up to her feet and back away from the tree. "We'll come back with a few more people and let the tree know what happens when you attack us, though."

I say we retreat and come back when everyone else is done playing drop-the-drawers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

I think Caspan is just jealous that Kining isn't play drop-the-drawers with him:)

Derrick is persistent if nothing else, not letting go at an opportunity before him. "Are you in such a hurry to leave already? You just got here?"

Lowering both his voice and his head closer to hers he asks "When will they be safe? Will they ever be safe? Will you? Or me? Who's safe? It sounds like you're running away from something Jillian. Why don't you hold on answering it for now and spend the rest of the evening with me and then make your decision in the morning? We can share some fantastic nut bread we just, uhm, acquired, and maybe a bottle of wine? Don't you think it would be good to unwind and relax for a bit?

"Let's leave this talk of 'your people' for later, there will be time for that. Tomorrow. Old Dead Eye will provide. Hmmm?"

* * * *

Aubrin looks back at Mekhi's prone body covered in blood and out of range of their retrieval. She does not seem happy about leaving Mekhi's body there for the worms at all, but she keeps her comments to herself for now. She looks to Thael has he casts a spell to distract the large creature and asks the wizard "Are you going to attack it? It's just... a tree? What if they did something to upset it and it was defending itself? Sure tree's can't be evil?" she asks more as a question than a statement.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian's cheeks flush once again and she quickly looks back to where Emil and Wren are waiting "But what about my friends? You want them to just sit around and wait?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Derrick looks over at her companions when she does. While she's still looking, he leans in gives her a kiss on the cheek. Sliding his left hand from her cheek into her hair, he gently runs his fingers through it and says "Why don't you tell them to setup camp for the night and get comfortable and you'll see them in the morning."

"I'll tell my band to stand down and join them for a meal."


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Perception; Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

Does Selde notice a blight infection or anything else strange about the treant?


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

"I... uh..." Jillians heart is racing and for once in her life she is at a loss for words. She turns back toward Emil and Wren as she thinks I can't ask them to wait on me here, but it's not safe if I stay and then try and go back on my own, they would feel obliged to stay and I wouldn't want that but... she turns to look at Derrick still pondering her options He wants me to stay and I want to stay, I mean if nothing else to get to know him a little better. I deserve that right? I've been fighting so long I haven't carved out any time for myself and just when I thought I might have a chance to all this happened.

She purses her lips and frowns undecided on what to do until something clicks and she grins as she looks to Derrick "How about this? I don't feel right asking my friends to just wait around on me if we are going to have a..." she hesitates before continuing half stating and half asking "date...?" she lets out a nervous laugh before getting back on subject "Um... anyway, if you can help me make it at least half-way back to my camp in the morning then I can let them know they can head back and they don't have to wait on me. Then I don't have to stress about them just waiting their bored out of their minds..."

She pauses for a moment and looks into Derricks eyes "I can trust you right? I mean, I do want to get to know you better and what you propose sounds like a good start." She lets out a sigh as her caution gets the better of her then half-jokingly continues "Because if you try anything funny I would hate to have to show you why I'm such a formidable combatant..."

Don't want to hold Wren/Emil up while they just sit around and Jillian has a date night :P, best alternative I could come up with.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Selde is either too far away or unfamiliar with this type of treant to make much of what she sees before her. While she believes the creature is behaving erratically, she can't put her finger on why that might be.

* * * *

Derrick smiles when Jillian classifies their time together as a date, trying to ease her nervousness. When she requests that he accompany her halfway back to camp, he quirks a brow at her. "Only halfway? I'll take you all the way if you like. In fact, I insist."

When she makes a joke about fighting him, he pulls his hands back from her and holds both palms up to her in mock surrender. "I thought we were past the Nirmathi, Molthuni confrontation? I have no doubt in my mind you are a formidable opponent and I do not wish to engage with you in that way."

Lowering his hands he looks longingly into her eyes and says "Jillian, you can trust me."

GM:
1d20 ⇒ 151d20 ⇒ 11

Jillian believes Derrick is being honest and forthright with her.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian smiles and nods as she turns back toward Emil and Wren and says "Ok then, give me a minute." She makes her way over to where Emil and Wren are waiting an excited look on her face.

As she approaches she notes to them "I'm going to stay here and talk with Derrick tonight, see if um... if I can't pry some useful information out of him. You two don't need to wait if you don't want. He said he would escort me back to camp and I know you both probably have better things to do then stay here waiting on me."


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 3/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil sets his scythe over his shoulder and puts an arm around Jillian’s shoulders. Then he speaks loud enough for others to hear, ”Now what kind of father would I be if I left ya alone in the forest with a bunch o’ strangers? ‘Sides, if’n a hobgoblin patrol or a dread o’ owlbears attacks in the night, ya’ trust any in this lot ta take off a few o’ their heads the way I did fightin’ at yer side? We’ll stay the night an escort ya home in the mornin’.”

Then he whispers, We’ll go if’n ya order us ta, but I’d sleep better knowin’ yer safe. ‘Sides, the others are prolly safe an’ sound.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Oof Jillian is going to feel really bad when they get back to camp.

Jillian nods and gives Emil a warm smile "I appreciate it and you are welcome to stay, I just didn't want to hold you up if you wanted to get back." She looks to Wren hoping she doesn't mind.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (8) - 3 = 5

Well here goes nothing.

"Mighty treant, I know not what was done to offend you but I apologize. Let us take our friend and we shall not bother you further." Selde shouted in Sylvan.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael finishes his spell, and a trio of horses appear between them and the treant.

Thael doesn't understand the tongue Selde is speaking, but he can tell she's trying to talk to it.

"We are not hobgoblins! Let us take our fallen friend, and we will leave you in peace!" he exclaims in common.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

summon monster III, using level II for horses: 1d3 ⇒ 3


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

”Well, I’m certainly not going all that way back by myself. I might get jumped by a hobgoblin. Father, if you want to go back, I’ll go with you. But, if you want to stay, I’m fine with that too. We really didn’t tell the others we’d be gone overnight though. They are probably bored, lounging around in the cave and might get worried about us.”


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian nods with a smile and moves back toward Derrick with a little more hop to her step than usual. With a big smiles she notes "Ok they said they would wait anyway, so if they are ok waiting then I'm ok." She moves in closer to Derrick as she playfully asks "Now you said something about wine and relaxing?"


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Though the best of intentions were had, Selde's words fall on deaf tree trunks without acknowledgment. Thael's words however have an unexpected response. The bark of the tree shifts into something resembling a mouth and a deep, slow speaking baritone says "You are new cave lizards. You bring death and trouble. You do not bring peace."

The huge tree rips another rock from the ground and launches it at one of the horses, knocking it out in one shot.

Flying Rock: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Damage: 2d6 + 13 ⇒ (5, 6) + 13 = 24

* * *

With a nods Derrick signals the woman who gave you the cold shoulder when you arrived. "They're all staying. Get them a scoop and an ale. Make them comfortable for the night."

Grudingly the woman waves Wren and Father Emil over. She points to a pot on the fire and says "Eat if you want. I don't care if you don't."

She plops down by the fire and resumes eating, clearly having been interrupted by your arrival. Four others stand down and all come in to eat as well.

* * * *

Without waiting for a response, Derrick puts his arm around Jillian's shoulder and begins walking with her through the fields. "I'm so glad you decided to stay. So, tell me something about you that no one else in that troop of yours knows? I'll start."

He proceeds to describe how when he was just becoming a man that he ran away from his first battle conflict. As he was running away he tripped over a dead body and landed on the soldiers blade. He cut himself badly, crawling back to the camp. No one else on the field survived and knew what happened. Once back in camp he was rewarded for being the sole survivor."Lots of guilt for a long time. Eventually though, I got over it and learned how to do the job without running away."


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Who you calling a lizard!" Caspan yells back at the talking tree.

He looks at his companions.

"Say the world, and I'll get us some more kindling. I'll show that overgrown shrubber-wreath who brings death and trouble!"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian offers Derrick a grin as he finishes his story and adds ”Well, I suppose we all start somewhere the important thing is you conquered your fears. Who knows, maybe one of the Gods was looking out for you, saving you from a doomed battle for more important things later...”

After a pause while she thinks she continues ”Hm.. something about me the others don’t know... Well...” She goes on to tell her own battle story of sorts, when she first joined the fight she was so out of her league. She was strong and brave, but inexperienced. She didn’t even know how to properly wield a blade. She pulls down the collar of her shirt to expose a scar on her shoulder as she continues to explain that while she was trying to teach herself how to fight, the training dummy she was practicing on snapped and fell on her causing her to cut herself. She learned a very important lesson that day about how a fight, even one with a stationary dummy can be chaotic and you must always be prepared for the unexpected.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 36/36 NL: | AC:18(B:20) FF:13(B:15) T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Caspan Saal wrote:

"Who you calling a lizard!" Caspan yells back at the talking tree.

He looks at his companions.

"Say the world, and I'll get us some more kindling. I'll show that overgrown shrubber-wreath who brings death and trouble!"

"No, retreat!" Selde shouted with unusual fierceness.

Ride, Fast dismount: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23

Selde spur's Nur to Mekhi's body, fast dismount as a free action, move action throw Mekhi on Nur, then another move action to get back on Nur, then get the hell out of dodge.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Aubrin hobbles away as fast as she can with the others, not having to be told twice that they were running out of range of the tree. While they run she asks "What's the plan?! We're running? Where?!"

* * *

While she tells her story, Derrick pours two wooden cups of fine elven wine. He hands one to her as she finishes and reaches out with his free hand to trace his finger down Jillian's scar once she is finished telling the story. "Mmmm. Sounds like you grew up a lot in battle too."

He smiles "It's a shame it was on the other side."

Winking with his left eye, he quickly says "Only teasing." and places his finger on her lips before she can retaliate with words of her own.

He keeps his finger then and takes a long pull of his wine cup before sitting it down. Pulling his finger away, he leans in and kisses her gently on the lips.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian quirks a brow at Derrick's implication but grins as he notes he is only joking. As he places a finger on her lips she blushes and when he moves in for a kiss she doesn't stop him, she can still taste the wine on his lips. She sets her glass of wine down, and moves down to her knees bringing him down with her as she returns the kisses in turn. It's all going well until her breastplate snags on his shirt and she goes in for a kiss but ends up ripping his shirt instead. She flinches a bit and moves back but it only makes matters worse ripping the shirt more as she says, embarrassed "Oh..I.. um sorry..."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Derrick shakes his head and says "Looks like all these extra protective layers are just getting in the way. Here."

He pulls off his now torn shirt and tosses it aside. "See. Now you've given me something to remember you by."

He slides around to help her remove her armor, helping making her more comfortable. "I don't think you're going to need this level of protection tonight."

Assuming she doesn't protest, he will lay back down with her once she's "more comfortable", pulling her into him again.

* * *

Meanwhile, fifty feet away over by the campfire the Molthuni's dig into the stew of herbs and meat that tastes a lot like venison. One of the men speaks with a mouth full of dinner and asks "What's it like? Being a rebel and all I mean."

One of the Mothuni women shoots the man a scowl as if to scold him for consorting with the enemy. The man simply shrugs and says "What? They're here already, I'm just talking."


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren slowly approached the stew pot. It smelled pretty good, especially compared to her boring old rations. She took a bowl and filled it to the brim.

”Rebels? Well, I guess that’s one way to describe it. I think that we are just trying to protect our home. I don’t know where all the invaders came from, but we aren’t going to rest until we find a way to take back our town. Maybe they will get bored soon, and just leave. Who knows,” she shrugs as she takes another bite of stew.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The man scoffs "Your home? Invaders? You mean you stole our home and made it your own. And we ain't invaders, we just be taking back what's rightfully ours."

It becomes painfully clear to Wren that this mean is not speaking of Phaendar, but of Nirmathis at large.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian holds her raven black hair out of Derricks way as he helps her out of the breastplate. She takes off her explorers outfit and stands before him in just her slip she wears under everything. As the lay back down she traces lines across his muscular chest and follows them up with a kiss.

In the midst of all this Hunter flaps his way into the tent and lands on a nearby piece of furniture. The bird speaks in celestial and Jillian looks over to the bird as she said "What? We are just relaxing... it's not like we are trying to make a baby or anything..."

The bird responds again in the strange tongue and Jillian rolls her eyes as she tosses a nearby pillow toward the bird, not intending to hit him but to show her annoyance. With a huff she falls to her back next to Derrick, as she looks up at the ceiling of the tent she says "Why don't you tell me more about yourself and I will do the same. Ask me something you want to know." She reaches over and takes the glass of wine, sitting up to sip from it as she looks at Derrick waiting for his question.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren hoped the conversation would go better than it actually went. She sighed loudly. ”You know very well what I’m talking about. Our two nations have our petty fights and skirmishes, that’s true, but these bugbears are a whole different story. And we need to cooperate to deal with them. Like Jillian and Derrick are. Well, not quite like they are, but you know what I mean! We need to drive out the bugbears and if we need to fight after, we can worry about it then.”

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

"We killed the cave dwellers!" Thael responds as he backpedals away from the treant, not sure it's going to do any good. The horses stand their ground, not attacking, but Thael doesn't call them off, either.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

I'm thinking this is possible to talk with, but I'm not a great face for it.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Derrick frowns at the entrance of the bird, his muscles tensing and his hand instinctively reaching for a dagger nearby. He relaxes when Jillian starts to converse with the creature, but he looks even more confused when the bird speaks a strange language. He looks over at the bird uneasy and says "You talk to birds now? And birds talk to you apparently? I don't suppose your bird friend wants to wait outside the tent? Does it?"

Thinking about her question he responds "Okay. I'm the son of a dock worker from Korholm. Spent a lot of time on the docks and banks around Lake Encarthan. Was sure I was going to end up working on the docks or on a ship, but when a group of Nirmathian pirates sank the ship my family was on one day, I decided I was going to fight back."

He puts down his blade and switches it out for his wine, only to find it empty. He refills his cup and Jillian's before continuing "Sooooo, I went and got myself involved in the movement to quash the rebels. As I told you earlier however, I quickly found out that my battlefield skills were less than ready for conflict and with my new status as sole-survivor, some idiot in charge thought I'd make a better scout than forward assault troop."

"Fast forward a countless number of years and here we are. I have my own troop where we do reconnaissance and report back what's happening. We don't get involved, only observe and report where possible. Where situations require other tactics however, like almost happened previously if it weren't for your smooth words." He reaches out and runs his finger over her lips, tracing the contour and shape slowly before leaning in to kiss her again.

Leaning back he asks with a half-smile "So, you're turn. Do you seduce all of your men like this?"

* * * *

The huge tree groans in protest from Thael's words and slowly reiterates in a booming voice that shakes your bones "SEE. I TELL YOU. YOU BRING DEATH!"

* * * * *

When Wren mentions cooperating, two of the men laugh loudly. One nudges the other and says "Yeah. Like Derrick is." One of them scoots over next to Wren and puts his arm around her. "So hey rebel, what say you and me go cooperate behind that tree over there?"

The female in the group looks coldly at the man, but doesn't say anything or move to stop him.

2,601 to 2,650 of 3,037 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.