GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

CHAPTER 2 - FANGS OF WAR

Roll 20

LOOT!


2,701 to 2,750 of 2,946 << first < prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | next > last >>

Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan grunts, not pleased. Traipsing through the woods with everyone seems like it'd leave a path so obvious even he could find it and slow them down finding the safer spot.

Hopefully the rest of the camp will realize that. With his luck, though, only Kining will figure it out and no one will understand her when she explains it to everyone.

Caspan grinds his teeth in frustration.

Sounds like we're 3-2 in favor of bringing the group with us, but let's see what they say.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

After they are unable to come to a unanimous decision among themselves, they take the vote back to the people of Misthome. To do this, the entire group is gathered in the largest room where everyone takes a seat and listens to the party present the situation.

While it currently fits their need as defensible structure that protest them from the elements and is mostly hidden from the enemy, Misthome is not a viable long-term solution for the group. The group wishes to advance to north to find the Rangers and obtain their help in permanently relocating the group as well as combating the seemingly endless supply of Legion that is swelling in their old hometown.

Multiple conversations ensue from the group and it quickly becomes apparent that their will not be unanimous decision made among them either. More than half of the people say that they understand this is not their permanent home, but don't want to leave. Chief among these voices is none other than the proprietor of the Phaendar Trading Company, Kining Blondebeard. She stands defiantly in front of several others and voices her opion "Ye dornt ken whaur ye ur gonnae. Ye dornt know hoo lang ye ur gonnae be. We dornt hae th' protection ay th' caves. We dornt know whit dangers await us tae th' north. Ye dornt know anythin' abit what's up there!"

"Besides. Ah hae a workin' forge haur tae help prepaur us fur dangers. We hae a permanent soorce ay caller water. We ur aye sheltered. We can sleep at nicht knowin' we're hidden." she adds on aftewards. She glares at Caspan as if this is his doing.

On the other side however, Lirosa stands before a dozen that want to go. "We are always safer in your company. We have designated you our leaders of this group and you have protected us and shown us the best direction forward. Every time something goes wrong it seems to be when you are all not around. We should definitely go with you."

Kining turns to Lirosa and quips "Naethin' will gang wrang if a' fowk will bide in th' caves an' dae their jobs haur insteid ay tryin' tae be loch someain they arenae an' explair new an' radge areas! Dornt try tae be a hero an' nae a body will die!"

Kining:
"Nothing will go wrong if everyone will stay in the caves and do their jobs here instead of trying to be like someone they are not and explore new and dangerous areas! Don't try to be a hero and no one will die!"

This last bit causes Lirosa to cringe, the blame of Mehki's death already weighing heavily on our shoulders. She lowers her head as her shoulder slump and loses a lot of the defiance she just previously had.

Aubrin walks between the two and tries to comfort Lirosa, shooting Kining a look of That's enough.. Kining shrugs her shoulders, unaware of what she's done wrong but speak the truth.

Numerous people turn to you, looking for answers and direction.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian is frustrated that there is as much of a split between the others as there is within their own group. She shakes her head to Kining's words and nods in agreement to Lirosa.

She puts her palm on her forhead and rubs her temples as the frustration grows. Finally she speaks out "Look... we are all that is left of Pheander. I vowed to protect this little community and I'm not confident I can do that with the current circumstances if we leave people behind and go off to look for help. As Lirosa said most of the bad things that have happened have been when we split up. Of course, that doesn't mean we should just never split up, but when there is an immediate threat that we know is coming and it is just a matter of when... it doesn't make sense to stay here."

She looks around at those gathered and sighs "I'm not going to force you to leave if you want to stay, and hopefully I'm just being overly cautious and nothing will happen while we search for the rangers, but I am going to say it now, I think it is the wrong call. The thing you have to ask yourselves is are you willing to risk the Legion finding you here on your own and having them do Gods knows what with you, or is it better to risk the cold and dangers of the wilds all together, where we have already done it before and survived and are much more prepared for a similar journey this time. The choice is clear to me, but I can't make it for you."

Finally she says "If people still choose to stay then we will do all we can to find a safe haven and return to get you as soon as we can. For the rest, I say pack up your things and let's get this started sooner rather than later."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19 Just in case it is needed :)


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:
"Naethin' will gang wrang if a' fowk will bide in th' caves an' dae their jobs haur insteid ay tryin' tae be loch someain they arenae an' explair new an' radge areas! Dornt try tae be a hero an' nae a body will die!"

Selde clinched her fist at Kining's comment. "We aren't heroes, we're Nirmathans. We help each other but we don't wait around letting others do the work for us. Hiding in this cave won't keep you alive. I don't know what awaits to the North, but I know what death is coming from the South."

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael is torn, having enjoyed the relative comfort of the caves, as well as having trading partners.

But he sensed they were close to being discovered, and too close to Phaendar still.

"As much as it pains me to say, we should leave. We have stayed here too long, and it is only a matter of time before we are discovered. We should find the rangers. If we can, we will be much safer than we are now."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"What is she saying?" Caspan asks as Kining talks. He scowls at her until he realizes she's actually making sense (even if she doesn't make any sense) at which point he starts nodding vigorously. That was just what he'd been saying, except not in simple Common. He just hoped everyone wasn't as illinguistic as she was so they'd actually understand her.

"What if they'd all been with us when we got to that camp? Bloody disaster that'd have been!" Caspan shoots back. "They probably would've killed half the group before we took them down. Sic the damn wolves on them all and they'd have been eaten!"

He looks fiercely at Kining.

"ETTING!"

Caspan's version of Kining:

Eaten!

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Caspan needs to put a skill point into Linguistics (Kining). XD


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

It hurt Wren to see the camp so divided. They’d never had such a division before as she recalled. ”I told you all before. I think the Green Lady is sending us signs to leave the caves. We can keep the group safer if we are there to take the enemy on first. When we aren’t there, the threats do really bad things.”


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian rolls her eyes at Caspan "That's what I'm saying, it obviously isn't feasible for us to stay together all the time. There will be instances where we need to deal with a threat for the benefit of the whole community. However, this is a completely different situation. We are talking about leaving the relative safety, for now, of these caves to find a more permanent and safer place to house everyone, we aren't talking about leading them on an assault. Are their dangers in the wilds? Of course, but wouldn't it be better if we faced them together? What if we are out searching for these rangers and something happens where there is no choice but for those who stayed behind to abandon the caves, for instance if the Legion comes bearing down? Do you think they are going to have a better chance surviving something like that alone, or coming with us as we make our way through the wilds?"


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Fine, whatever! When the hobgoblins find us because we're leaving a huge trail as we traipse around with no idea where we're going, don't say I didn't tell you so! Or if we run out of food, or someone has to sleep out in the cold or all the other horrible things that won't happen if they stay here in the caves!"

Caspan turns to stomp away.


Portrait Male Human Cleric of Erastil 5 | hp: 33/33 | Init +2 |AC 18 Touch 13 FF 16 CMD 17| F: +5 R: +3 W: +7 | Perc +4 | Channels: 6/6 SWA: 8/8

Emil calls Caspan back and gestures for the leaders to confer quietly a little away from the rest. "The majority of us want to move everyone on, but the majority of the community feels safer here. We either need to put up a united front in favor o' one or the other. I'll support a group move, if you hold to that plan, but I personally think we'd be better off using plants to further hide the entrance and do the search for the forts by out selves. A large group is likely ta draw attention an we can't be stealthy or particularly quick. We can't hide our tracks with a group this large and if a hob picks up the trail, they can get a force together and hit us in the open. Now maybe, jus' maybe while we're gone, they'll manage ta find the caves behind all the plants, but seems that's less likely than them catching us all lumbering along in the wild. "

Emil sighs and adds, "Hate ta be so stubborn, but that's the way I see it. If I'm out numbered by you all, I'll shut up, but if we plan to convince the rest it's a good idea ta leave a safe home and wander in search of another, it'll take a better diplomat than I'll ever be."


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian continues shaking her head in disagreement "What is so different this time then the last time we were out in the wilds? We didn't make any special efforts to cover our trail then and the Legion didn't follow us. If we leave far enough in advance the weather will help cover our trail, however the longer we wait the closer the Legion comes and the harder it will be for us to get everyone to safety. Mind you that is when they were actively searching for us. If they haven't found the camp yet and still think we are just the lizard folk in this cave then it will buy us even more time to get a safe distance between us and them before they come looking."

She turns to Selde and asks "Do you have any magic or skills in covering a trail we leave behind?"

I know there is pass without a trace but that would be limited to 5 people per casting, and if I'm not mistaken she only has 4 Lvl1 slots so a total of 20 people and we have 29 between the survivors and our group, 28 since Selde has Trackless Step).

Without waiting for an answer she turns back to Emil "In the past I stood by while we did something I did not agree with and, even though it worked out in the end it made things harder on us and could have been disastrous. I won't stand by again when I feel we might be putting others in danger. I will convince them to leave if we are to present a united front, but I won't force them. If those that want to stay, want to stay then that is their choice, even if I think it is the wrong one..."

The good thing is that if some people want to stay at least we should be able to use the Pass without a Trace method on the rest :P

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael agrees they need a united front. If someone needs to add analytical thinking to this, the wizard is surely the one to do it.

"We have all shared our thoughts--it is time to put this to a vote," he says as the six leaders gather together.

"All in favor of leaving together, say 'aye.'"

I believe we're 4 in favor of leaving, 2 against. We should probably just call that enough to leave together.


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"NO!" Caspan says loudly, assuming that means it will count more.

Agreed. Let's get a decision. Even if it's the wrong one. :p


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Jillian Vrosk wrote:

She turns to Selde and asks "Do you have any magic or skills in covering a trail we leave behind?"

I know there is pass without a trace but that would be limited to 5 people per casting, and if I'm not mistaken she only has 4 Lvl1 slots so a total of 20 people and we have 29 between the survivors and our group, 28 since Selde has Trackless Step).

"Yes...for both." Selde said softly. "But covering so many will be difficult, I'll need some help. It will be easier if I can teach Lirosa the magic." Selde said the final statement with unusual boldness.

Thael wrote:
"All in favor of leaving together, say 'aye.'"

Selde faltered at the call to vote. Recent events had shaken her determination and faith in her own instinct. Father Emil's words also rung with their usual wisdom, casting further doubt on her decision. Selde bit her lip near to the point of drawing blood. Every decision carried risk, and maybe death was the outcome either way. "Aye." Selde, finally, said softly. They would have to leave the caves eventually, and better a time when the conditions were of their choosing. The risk of finding the Rangers taking weeks of searching and yet weeks more to return weighed heavy.

Fairly tough call, I was almost persuaded to call to stay. I'll keep my vote to move to keep things going and because I'm worried we'll have a month or more where we'll be separated from the survivors.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren wasn’t 100% sure, but she decided to put her faith in her interpretation of The Green Lady’s signs. ”Um, I vote yes, too,” she said quietly to the others.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian confirms her vote to leave and when the tally favors leaving she will go to address the others. "We have decided we will all be leaving the caves to find our new home and escape the threat the Legion posses to this place. We will not force anyone to come who does not wish to, but know we don't know how long it will take to find refuge and if you stay you may face the Legion finding this place alone. At least on the road with us, we face the dangers together. We have done this before and we all knew this was only temporary. The time to leave is now so I pray you will all join us and not risk your lives unnecessarily... we do not need to loose anymore of Pheander's people to the Legion..."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21 Bah, not bad but not great for a rousing speech to convince people to leave :P


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

The emotions from the crowd are mixed, but everyone agrees to go with you. While some favor following you because they feel safer with you, no one wants to leave the home that they have been just settling into these last weeks. Others, like kining, throw her hands up and stomp off absolutely livid about the "stupidity of leaving". She kicks a small round shielf she made that goes flying against the wall with a resounding CLANG that silences the room. She says loudly "It diz us nae guid tae lae half ay us in th' caves by oorselves. Ah hep ye kna whit ye ur daein' takin' us it ay th' only safe place we have hud since Phaendar was taken awa'!"

After she leaves, the mood stays somber as the crowd slowly disperses to begin packing their stuff for another trip out into the elements.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian looks to Caspan with a questioning look as the dwarf storms off only understanding about half of what she says. She nods in the dwarfs direction hoping Caspan will go talk to her, since they seem to have some sort of bond.

She will help the others gathering their supplies and packing up, making especially sure that Rhyna is all set. When they are ready to leave she will get near the front of the caravan and is sure to station a few of the men and women she has trained in both the middle and rear. She will ask Selde if she can scout ahead with Nur as they eventually start to make their way in search of their new home.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Haha, I love it. Caspan, go talk to the dwarf and convince her she's wrong even though you think she's right.

Rhyna turns and gives Jillian a warm hug, squeezing her tight. "I thought you might need that. It can't be easy to make these decisions when there is conflict among the group and the vote is not unanimous. For what it's worth, I'll follow you anywhere you go."


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren kept to herself as the group packed up. Normally, she’d have run to Jet and spoke about her decision, but as she wasn’t 100% sure, she didn’t want to let her friend know.

She helped pick up and load all the items the townsfolk had crafted, hoping to make their new spot more homey, assuming they find a new home, that is.


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:
She will ask Selde if she can scout ahead with Nur as they eventually start to make their way in search of their new home.

Selde nodded in response to Jillian, happy for an excuse to be away from the social strife the group was currently facing. "Ready yourselves and come with me." Selde said sternly to Lirosa and Taidel. "We can go over the spells while we find a trail."

Selde will take Lirosa and Taidel with her for scouting, taking the opportunity to give some nature magic lessons.

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

While Caspan decides how he's going to calm Kining down (and understand her while doing so), Jet comes up to Wren instead to ask how she's doing. Jet was of the camp that she'd prefer to stay here where they have protection, but she will come along if that is what Wren thinks best. Drilling into it a little more, Jet asks "Why do you think it's better to leave the protection of the caves and go back out into the wilds? Wasn't it terrible before? We worked so hard to get here and now we're just giving it all up?"

Meanwhile, Lirosa and Taidel are eager to accompany Selde scouting again. Both are still sensitive about their previous failure at scouting and they want to take the opportunity to prove themselves worthy again even if that is not how the others view the situation. Lirosa in particular is very curious about the spells and all manner of druidic ways, probing Selde with questions whenever she has the opportunity.

The Exchange

Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael finds it difficult to hold still and wait for everyone else to pack. He has already gathered his things and is prepared to go.

Why are others so slow sometimes? How is it possible to even move that slowly?

While he waits for the others, he decides to check on Mia and make sure she has already gathered her things.

"What is your persuasion regarding staying in the caves or leaving? I'm not sure you had told me."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Mia is busily packing her things as well, pacing back and forth. When Thael comes in and asks her opinion, something unexpected happens. Turning to face Thael, she marches up to him with a determined expression on her face until she is standing one a foot away from him. There is tension in the air as she clearly is standing in his personal space as normally people do not stand this close. Lifting herself onto the tips of her toes, she leans in and presses her lips to his. She stays only a second, before pulling back and taking a step away from him.

She looks up at him anxiously, fidgeting with her hands. "I've been trying through other methods to get your attention for awhile now and you are always seemingly preoccupied with other responsibilities. Understandably so. But, every time you go away I wonder if you will come back. From now on I will follow anywhere you go, I don't want to lose you too. If there is a chance that one of us will die out there, well, then I wanted to do that first."

Her hazel eyes reflect the candle light in the dimly corner of the room.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael's draw drops slightly at Mia's advance. The wizard, for all his intelligence, has been fairly oblivious to Mia's interest. Now, it was impossible to misinterpret.

"I--"

Usually, Thael had a quick command of what he wanted to say, but seems at a loss for words.

"I--we have had some interesting discussions," he says. "I find your companionship compelling. You are intelligent and savvy."

Flustered, he realizes this may not be the response she is hoping for.

"Mia, you are correct that there are many other duties I must see to. I do admire you and care about you. In the past, I have not made much time for romantic pursuits. For me, a pairing is an intellectual exercise, one where two parties match each other with equally compelling traits. You have many of those that I admire. Perhaps we will have time in the future to explore this possibility."

The wizard pauses, flustered and unsure if he has said the wrong thing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

Caspan storms off after Kining.

"HEY!" he hollers, "GET BACK HERE!"

"Look, I certainly don't care if you think you want to leave, but don't you DARE call people stupid who want to stay!" he rants at her when she turns around. I think you should all stay here, so I don't have to spend all my time hauling your asses out of trouble! It would have been perfectly safe to leave you all here, where you don't have to deal with rain and ... stupid sheep wandering off ... especially after all the time it took us to get here!

"And if you dented that stupid shield you kicked, you're just going to have to fix it, and that's going to be a lot harder since you insist on following us around like some lovesick puppy instead of staying down here where you had a perfectly good dwarf forge that you could have worked at!"

His face is bright red as he runs out of steam and waits to see what the hell she has to say for herself! He takes deep breaths as he hopes Jillian is satisfied that he told Kining she needs to fall in line or else.

That was what you all wanted, right?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde did her best to answer Lirosa's questions, though the process proved difficult. Selde's training had not been a formal, orderly thing. She had learned piecemeal at her Grandfather's whims, as he had learned from his teacher. More than a few of Selde's lessons had been wordless demonstrations. And so Selde alternated between babbling about nature and the green faith, workings of natural magic, and physical demonstrations where the opportunity arose. With no proper structure to work from, Selde attempted to focus on the magic of the trail. "You've both hunted in the Fangwood for years, you know how to hear the forest. But druidic magic is not just hearing the sounds, it's listening, understanding. It isn't demanding power, it's asking for help. It's...hard to explain."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Kining stops when Caspan calls to her, turning and listening. When he is finished, she marches up to him, clearly not afraid of whatever he's bringing. Spittle flies from her mouth as she speaks, clearly animated on this subject.

"What's a matter wi' ye? Tay mony lumps oan th' heed? Dae ye nae know th' common tongue? Ah said it was STOOPIT tae lae, nae tae bide. Aw th' things ye jist said, those ur exactly wa we shoods nae be leavin'. we shoods be stayin' whaur it's safe, nae bein' glaikit an' marchin' it intae th' unknoon!"

Pointing to the shield on the ground, she raises her voice back at him and yells "Dae Ah need tae burst ye oan th' heed wi' 'at tae gie it ben yer heed? leavin' is STOOPIT!"

Kining:
"What's a matter with you? Too many lumps on the head? Do you not understand the common tongue? I SAID IT WAS STUPID TO LEAVE, NOT TO STAY. All the things you just said, those are exactly why we should NOT be leaving. We should be staying where it's safe, not being STUPID and marching out into the unknown!"

"Do I need to hit you on the head with that to get it through your head? LEAVING IS STUPID!"

* * * *

Mia's shoulders slump at Thael's words. Her eyes well up with what seems like a dam full of tears, but they do not spill. She nods and says "I see.". She tries to hold them back, but the tears spill from her eyes and she looks to the floor and mutters meekly, all of her strength now having left her body. "Thanks for telling me."

Turning before he can reply, she runs out of the cavern.

* * *

Selde's two students listen to every word that comes off her lips, trying to will themselves to become druids by listening alone. Lirosa says "Can. Can you try? I want to understand. I really do. It's true we know these woods, but we don't know what we are supposed to do? We know nothing of druidic ways? Isn't there a book or school or something you learned from?"


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"WHAT?"Caspan says, trying to speak more loudly than the dwarf.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Kining screams even louder, eventually spelling it out for the big oaf "Ah said. Ye. Ur. Stoopit. S.TE.OO.PE.I.TE. STOOPIT!"


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde frowned at the twins. "No. My brother learned from books and schooling but my grandfather showed me things as I tagged along." Selde said softly.

"Druids don't really keep texts or have schools anyway...well there is the Wildwood Lodge. They have some stone tablets of old knowledge but that's all the way on the Isle of Arenway..." Selde began to trail off, uncertainty taking her. Given enough time, they could probably learn the way that Selde had. However, they did not have years, or even months. She absentmindedly stroked Nur before a thought struck her.

"Being a Druid is like being a friend of nature. Every Druid has a connection that embodies that friendship. Often it's a companion, obviously for me it's Nur." Selde said the Elk's name with a soft smile. "But it can take other forms, some have bonds with the weather or elements. My Grandfather's was with the forest. He could draw powerful magics from common nuts, berries, dried herbs, and other natural ingredients. That's what I think we should start with, finding your bond. Think about nature, about the forest. What draws you to it? When you take in the smells, the sounds, what do you feel?"


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

ROFL

Jillian returns the hug and gives Rhyna a forced smile "I'm glad, I just hope I am right..." Showing her doubts only to her kind-of adopted sister she realizes sighs and smiles in earnest "We will be ok, I'll make sure of it!"

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Wizard 5 | HP 37/37 | AC 16; Tch 11; FF 15 | F +4; R +3; W +5 | CMB +1; CMD 12 | Speed 30 ft | Init +5 | mwk Quarterstaff: +2 (1d6-1) | Perc +7

Thael sighs as Mia runs from the cavern.

I had made all reasonable efforts to convey ambiguity--to indicate that perhaps a possibility for further relationship enhancement exists, but without committing myself to a romantic escalation I am ill-prepared for. Though I had used my best efforts to show my affection for her, uncertain as it may be, but I'm afraid anything other than an equal and unequivocal return of her advances would leave her feeling jilted.

The wizard sighs again and opens a spell book.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Jet comes up to Wren instead to ask how she's doing. Jet was of the camp that she'd prefer to stay here where they have protection, but she will come along if that is what Wren thinks best. Drilling into it a little more, Jet asks "Why do you think it's better to leave the protection of the caves and go back out into the wilds? Wasn't it terrible before? We worked so hard to get here and now we're just giving it all up?"

”You’ve got to trust me, Jet. I can’t explain it exactly, but the signs I see are telling me the right thing to do is move on from here and head deeper into the forest. We are too close to the thousands of enemies here. If we head deeper in and find the Rangers, I know that all of us will be safe and sound. It’s risky, but I’d rather go looking for help than to get overrun by our enemies in the cave. Please trust me. “. Wren takes a deep breath and stands up.

”You are a leader to everyone, you know. If you help keep the spirits up, it’ll go along way to keeping everyone satisfied. Would you help an old friend out, Jet?”


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Lirosa and Taidel both think about what Selde says for a few minutes. Taidel speaks first. "Birds." he says. "I always feel like I have a connection to the birds in the canopies of the Fangwood."

Lirosa nods, almost as if she had expected that. She thinks for another minute and says "I think mine would be a fox? But, it's not like I can talk to them or anything? I just know when we're out hunting and I see one, it doesn't run away from like the other animals. I don't spook them? Does that make sense? Is that what you're talking about?"

While the converse, the skies begin to darken as heavy clouds begin to set in. Knowing that this likely means rain is coming, they continue their conversation and head back to the cavern. About halfway back they come across Mia sitting on a log with her head buried in her hands, sobbing loudly.

Lirosa looks at Taidel and says "Uh, you're one of the leaders, so you're good at talking to people. Right? Why don't you talk to her while we go tell the camp that it's about to rain." Without waiting for an argument, the siblings head back towards camp leaving Selde with the brokenhearted Mia.

* * * *

Rhyna pulls Jillian aside and says "So while you were gone, Caspan kept going on and on about you going out to meet some guy?" Her lips form a smile and she nudges Jillian before folding her arms. "Spill it sister!"

* * * *

Jet nods to Wren but disagrees on the leadership part. "People like me because I make their meals. You and the others, you are brave going out there and protecting us day in and night. Making the hard decisions like this. We'll all follow of you course and I'll do my best to keep their spirits up and their bellies full! Of course leaving here is going to be harder on the supplies, it's a good thing you've all found so many provisions we can transport."

As an afterthought she asks softly "Do you know whether are Legion to the north where we are going? What makes you think it's safe up there?"


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"Oh!" Caspan says, finally realizing that Kining isn't one of the stupid ones, but rather -- like him -- one of the smart ones. "Well, why didn't you say so to start?! Of course, it's stupid to leave the caves. I tried to tell them that. It's nice and safe here, and that stupid gnome who keeps coming up to give us stuff from the Dark Place is great, too.

"What are you going to do, though? Can't make everyone stay, right? Let's have a drink while they pack..."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Kining puts her hands on her hips and says "Well it's about bloody damn time you took that cotton out of your ears!"

She nods as the brawler finally says something worthwhile, spins and heads down to her forge. When she gets down there, she pulls open a cabinet and pulls out an amber bottle with a stopper on it. Popping the top, she takes a sniff and moves her head away with a "WHOO!", nodding.

She pulls out two metal mugs and pours them only 1/8 of the way full, passing one across to him. When he picks it up she slams her mug into it and tips it back, taking a long pour from the gasoline-like substance. After he takes a sip she cheerfully announces "Made it maself!" before refilling his mug.

She announces cheerfully "If we ur gonnae die it thaur, micht an aw enjoy thes while it lasts!"


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren thinks for a second before responding to Jet. ”Well, in my opinion, it can’t be less safe then these caves are going to be before long. The further away we get from the Legion, the safer it has to be. I’m sure we will encounter some trouble, but less so than 1000 odd hobgoblins, which might be on us if we stay here. And you’ve heard of the Rangers....they are heroes! I know they will be able to help us out! I just know it.”


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde nodded in satisfaction at the twins' responses. "Yes, that's good. Focus on that. Keep aware, see if a fox likes your company or if there is a bird with a sense of humor you enjoy." Selde said softly.

Quote:
Lirosa looks at Taidel and says "Uh, you're one of the leaders, so you're good at talking to people. Right? Why don't you talk to her while we go tell the camp that it's about to rain." Without waiting for an argument, the siblings head back towards camp leaving Selde with the brokenhearted Mia.

"Oh...umm...yes, of course." Selde mumbled as the twins went back to the camp. Stepping down from Nur, Selde approached the sobbing Mia. "Um...hello Mia. Is...you should probably get inside...it's going to rain." She managed to stammer out.


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

Jillian is a little surprised when she asks about her meeting a guy and her cheeks flush a bit "Oh... uhm... yeah well, I mean I met this guy when we were on our way to the hobgoblin camp. He is really handsome and he is in charge of his own unit. I mean he if from Molthune, but we, well we saw past that and kind of hit it off. We agreed to meet. Honestly, I was hoping to get some intel from him. I mean, yeah I wanted to see him again too. We spent the night together..."

When Rhyna gives her a look she interjects "No! Not like that, just kissing and holding one another. It was... nice. I mean I've never really had anything like that before and with everything going on it was a good distraction, even if only for one night."

She smiles and laughs thinking back on it "He kept asking me to run away with him." She looks into Rhyna's eyes as she notes "I could never do that though, not while you all are still not safe. Maybe one day..."


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Jet looks to Wren and smirks "The Rangers may be heroes for some, but you Jillian, Selde, Father Emil, Thael and Caspan are all our heroes. You continually face dangers for the betterment of the group and you keep us all alive. If you say it's the right thing to leave, then I do not question it at all. I know that following you all is in our best interest.

She leans in and whispers [b]"Besides, these caves stink and it would be good to have some fresh air again."

* * *

Mia lefts her head up from her sobbing to see who is talking, her mind not processing the voice immediately. When she lifts her head, Selde can see her eyes are red and swollen and that she clearly has been crying for several minutes now. She buries her head in her hands again and mutters "Good. The Gods are punishing me for being so stupid."

Pushing her face further into her hands she drops the whisper and says "Stupid!Stupid!Stupid!"

Looking back up at Selde she waves her off, "Just leave me. Maybe I'll get eaten by a Hawkbear or whatever those big things were."

* * * *

Rhyna's jaw falls open when Jillian tells her she spent the night with this Molthuni. When she finishes her story, she slowly closes her mouth as it forms into a smile. She reaches in and gives her a soft and overly long hug. She tilts her head against Jillians' and said "You keep us all safe. He would be so proud of what you've become."


Female Aasimar | Paladin (Chosen One) 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 19 | T 12 | FF 17| CMD 19 | Fort +9 | Ref +7 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +9 (Darkvision) | Portrait |
Languages:
Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, Hallit, Orc, Sylvan, Terran

While Rhyna's words were meant to be kind they seem to hit Jillian hard as the thought of the recent loss of Mekhi enters her mind. She takes a deep breath doing her best to hold back tears as she turns from Rhyna and nods "I just hope I can keep you all safe..."


Male human brawler 5 54 hp | AC 18 / T 12 / FF 16) 25% chance to negate crits | CMB: +9* CMD: 21* | F: +7, R: +6, W: +1 | Per +8 | Init +2

"You can speak Common?!" Caspan says in astonishment. "Well, why didn't you before now?!"

Despite her strange insistence on speaking Dwarven, he's happy to share drinks with her, slamming back whatever she gave him happily. If everyone else wants to leave the caves, they can do the packing!


Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)
Quote:

Pushing her face further into her hands she drops the whisper and says "Stupid!Stupid!Stupid!"

Looking back up at Selde she waves her off, "Just leave me. Maybe I'll get eaten by a Hawkbear or whatever those big things were."

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (18) - 3 = 15

"Umm, that would be bad so...why don't you tell me what happened?" Selde hesitantly placed a hand on Mia's shoulder and gave an awkward smile. Her training with the twins emboldening her with unusual social grace.


DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Mia takes her head out of her hands and looks up at Selde again with her reddened face. She stares at her for a few seconds trying to figure out whether so speak, but eventually relents. "I kissed Thael and told Thael how I feel about him. I told him I know he's important and that I'd follow him anywhere to be with him."

She wipes her nose on her hand and then rubs it on her clothes, unable to stop the snot and tears from exiting her body. "You know what he told me? He said I was right and he had other duties and he doesn't have time for romantic pursuits and that he would rather have intellectual excercises? What does that even mean?! I'm trying to be more like him to get him to like me, but I'm just destined to be an old maid and live alone! We have no home and people keep dying and we are living in caves and now we have to leave the cave and I don't want to be alone, but." she starts to get choked up on the last part, nearly unable to finish, "but the one I want doesn't want me!" she finishes, bawling loudly all over again.

* * * *

Rhyna places an arm on Jillians' back, "It's not an easy job and it's unfair for you to have to take on this responsibility. You are doing your best and that's all we can ask. Desna will provide and watches over all of us. We're lucky to have you Jillian, I mean it. I wouldn't want anyone else making the decisions for us, no matter what."

* * * *

Caspan and Kining start to form a bit of a bond which may or may not be attributed to the harsh alcohol that they are consuming. Either the inebriated state helps Caspan understand her more, or her speech improves with each cup full of amber goodness. Either way, they pair spend the next hour throwing down her special brew while complaining about a wide variety of issues (everything possible).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

"Oh....ummm." Selde's mind raced as she was presented with a brand new problem. "I don't, ...Thael can be, I mean...I haven't ever kissed someone so...you probably shouldn't...Being alone isn't so...It's going to rain." Was the best she could do.


Female Halfling | Psychic (Faith) 5 | AC (17 with Mage Armor)14/13/12| HP 31/31 | Init.+4 | Perc.+11 | CMD 12| F+4, R+5, W+8(+2 vs Fear) | SenseMotive+6 | Phrenic Pool 4 points/day

Wren breaks into a wide grin. ”Thanks Jet. You know you are my best friend and having you out here has been amazing. You might not see it, but the others around camp do...you are super important! Keep everyone’s spirits up while we try to navigate our way deeper in the forest. Some fresh air will be nice, you are right about that. But I bet my back will be barking within a week,” she laughs as she hugs her friend and then scampers off to help everyone pack up, completely cheered up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DD | ROTR1 | ROTR2 | II | TG1 | TG2 | JR1 | JR2

Mia is an emotional wreck and clearly not thinking straight. Thael’s rejection has hit her hard and she is desperate for attention of some kind, the destruction of her homeland sending her into a lonely depression. Having lost her home once, she is one who doesn’t want to leave the caves and return back into the unknown. Convinced she will die out there this time, she fears she has little time left.

Mia stands up and places both hands on Selde’s cheeks before leaning in and pressing her lips firmly on the Druid’s, keeping the kiss for three seconds. She pulls back instantly and her cheeks flush red to match her sobbing face. ”There. Now at least you can die knowing someone cared enough about your feelings to help show you a little love!”

Taking Selde’s hand, she looks longingly into Seldes’s eyes and asks ”Do you think I’m pretty?”
Sorry (not sorry)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Character Sheet - Female Blightscarred Half-Elf Druid(Nature Fang) 5| HP: 32/36 | AC:18 FF:13 T:15 CMD:19 | Ref:7 Fort:6 Will:7 | Init:7 | Perception: 12 (Low light vision, Darkvision 60ft, Blight Sense 30ft)

Selde's body went rigid as Mia's kiss caught her completely off guard. She remained frozen in place for a few moments, taking time to process what had just happened. "Oh, that was, thank you. What? Yes." Selde said softly. The right side of her face grew redder with each word the half elf muttered.

Selde had to reset.

2,701 to 2,750 of 2,946 << first < prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Ironfang Invasion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.