GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire (Inactive)

Game Master GM Rat Sass

Part 6 - The Final Wish
Roll20 Link
Treasure Log
New Map of Kelmarane


10,751 to 10,800 of 10,988 << first < prev | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | next > last >>

Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Round 6

Not going too far from the party, Ami traipses into the next room to scout while the others figure out what to do.

”Do we follow and finish off those other fire snakes? Or find new foes? And what of those archer djnni? Are they gone?” Ami asks.

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (19) + 20 = 39 Perception


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Round: 5, Initiative: 4

Aldebert Status:
HP: 117/129; AC: 34 (F33/T14) (included: magic vestment & barkskin)
Conditions: Endure Elements (24h), Hero’s feast (6/12h, +1 attacks/will & +4 poison (morale)), Magic Vestment (+3), Barkskin (+5), Life Bubble (1/4h), Protection from Fire (1/100m, 52hp), Air Walk (1/28m), Haste, Mirror Image (1/11m, 3 images), True Seeing (1/14m)
Weapon Equipped: Greatsword
Greatsword Attack BAB +14/+9/+4, Str +4, Focus +1, Magic +3, Size +1, Luck +1, (Power Attack -4) Damage Str +6 (1.5x), Magic +3, (Power Attack +12 (1.5x)) (Crit 17-20)
Summon Mount: 2/2 (Full round)
Smite Evil: 4/5 (Swift, +4 attack, +14 damage, +4 AC)
Lay on Hands: 12/13 (Swift, 9d6 healing +1d6 if not blinded, fatigued, diseased, or poisoned; Lesser Restoration (1/1))
Armor - Daylight (1/1)
Pearl of Power, First (1/2), Second (1/1), Third (1/1)
Spells (caster level 11, concentration +15, DC 14+)
1) Bed of Iron, Endure Elements, Hero’s Defiance, Liberating Command
2) Mirror Image, Paladin's Sacrifice, Shield Companion
3) Angelic Aspect, Angelic Aspect
4) Dimension Door, Inspiring Recovery
- - -

Gretiem Status:
HP: 90/90 (DR 5/evil)
AC: 30 (F26/T15) (included: mage armor +4, shield companion +1)
Fort: 10 Reflex: 11 Will: 6 (SR 16, Resist Cold, Acid, Electricity 10) CMB: 14 CMD: 27 Move: 40’
Conditions: Mage Armor (6/14h), Hero’s feast (6/12h, +1 attacks/will & +4 poison (morale)), Shield Companion (Enlarged, 6/11h, +1 AC, +1 saves included), Endure Elements (1/24h), Life Bubble (1/4h), Protection from Fire (1/100m, 70hp), Air Walk (1/28m), Haste
Smite evil (swift, +0 att +12 dam) (1/1d)
Tricks: Aid, Air Walk, Attack x2, Come, Defend, Deliver, Down, Fetch, Flank, Flee, Get Help, Guard, Heel, Hunt, Menace, Seek, Sneak, Stay, Watch, Work
Bite Attack BAB +9, Str +5, Amulet +1 Damage Str +7 (1.5x), Amulet +1 (Crit 20)
- - -

Aldebert joins his brother and peers to the east with true sight! ”We could go this way, though I don’t immediately see anything. I don’t feel like chasing salamanders now that their leader is dead. Let’s head this way, for lack of any better plan,” he says, though he looks to the others for other suggestions if any.

(3 mirror images)


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

With the giants summarily dismissed from the current chamber, you're able to take in their habitat without the harrassment of battle.

A fiery river of lava lights this oblong cavern as it crawls sluggishly. The sounds of hammers ringing against metal no longer fills the air, mingling with a thick, choking smoke. The corner of a stone building protrudes from the northern wall next to a large forge, which has grown quiet. There is a grand red door which is set into the stone of the underground, decorated with swirling patterns, as if the stone were at one point magma but solidified while still rippling.

Knowledge(Arcana) DC 28:

This door is in fact specialized a Phase Door that can be activated by the touch of any creature with the Fire Subtype. Once activated, a Phase Door stays active for two rounds before turning solid again. A DC 25 Use Magic Device check to emulate a race allows a creature who does not possess the fire subtype to open the door.

Yeen's keen ears twitch at the sound of retreating salamanders, while the new chambers beyond the giants house a river of lava flowing through their center. There are scattered tools and bunks, all sized for giants of fire.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Being a might too quick perhaps, Aldebert will hesitate briefly to see if any can take their measure of the door. "That looks promising." he suggests, "Can we open it?" he looks to Mahdi for answers.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent floats on through the intersection, observing the hewn fire giants lying about, as well as measuring the fiery lava that burbles menacingly. "I agree. The sallies are demonstrating an unwillingness to threaten us, unless they're hiding behind coattails. Knock down the coattails, and the cockroaches flee for their lives."

The gnome's no fool. He waits for others to take the lead down the next tunnel, or door, whichever.


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

Otah grimaces at Mahdi's cutting announcement...

"Well, that door looks promising. Don't think I want to touch it though..."


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Arcana: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (17) + 24 = 41

Mahdi pauses before the doors, eyes raking up and down them briefly. "Yes. But we'll probably need a captive to do it," he says with his usual bluntness. "It's keyed to creatures with inherent ties to fire itself... Let me think a moment."

(Illustrious GM: Does Mahdi think he could use his Elemental Body III spell to turn into a fire elemental and be able to open the door?)

"I dislike leaving enemies at our back, however. Especially ones who can turn invisible. I've tasted enough of their arrows. Even just leaving rooms at our back, unexplored, leaves a poor taste in my mouth."


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

Elemental Body would certainly apply here...


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami waits, trying to keep Yeen in check, uncertain what Mahdi plans with the door. He does not completely understand it, but appreciates that Mahdi might. But, as a player, this is a very cool solution.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi cracks his knuckles. "I can likely open it," he admits after a few more seconds' thought. "But my vote is that we clear these chambers first. Leave no place for these scurrilous snakes to keep hiding-- unless we want them to come running to their master's aid when we join with him for real."


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

"I'm not sure I agree Mahdi. These tunnels and chambers could go on for miles, each one containing warriors for Jhavhul. This door might lead to something more, and the opposition can use it more easily than we, so they can come and go just like any other chamber. I say we do this now."

He leans back on Gretiem to get some water from a skin, I say we follow this and see where it leads. But I'll go with the majority of course."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

The gnome looks over his carpet, still standing in invisibility, though it matters not to both fire mage and half in the saddle. His eyes still reinforced by Sarah's Sight, Pent is torn with regards to advance or halting forward progress to root out foxhole hiders.

"The sallies didn't feel like much of a threat, only their leader, like Aldi said. I'm good with investigation on this door step, just as much as I'm ready to see what lies ahead." Pent regards Amiamble and Otah, for their voices, then realizes that he can't make any facial expressions at either of them to encourage them to speak, so he speaks to encourage them to speak.

"Otah, Amiamble, what say you?"


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble is quick to back up his brother, who is totally correct about everything all the time in his opinion (except for every once in a while when he is disastrously wrong, like regarding special maps from the gods).

”My brother is right,” Ami pips up invisibily.


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

Otah reluctantly answers in consensus with the halflings, visibly concerned with how the Fire Mage will take being sided against so quickly after wasting one of his spells.

"If we chase, they can come at us from any side or hide invisibly until it's advantageous to strike. We might as well go through the door, at least then they have to come to us and expose themselves."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

"I'm sorry, Otah, did you have an opinion? I couldn't hear it over the sound of you WASTING MY MAGIC," Mahdi says with a toss of his head. He scowls at the consensus from the others. "Right, so, you all think it is fine to leave a number of enemies behind us-- who can turn invisible, at least some of them-- and give them leave to just pursue us at their leisure through this portal that they can operate and we cannot short of extraordinary means, is that the sum of it? And, pray tell, when the archers who are prone to unleashing multiple shots from invisibility come upon us from behind, who is it who shall be closest to them, I wonder-- oh, yes, myself and Pent, most likely."

The mage pinches at the bridge of his nose, then waves his hand. "Very well. Majority rules, I suppose. Do we not at least wish to take the time to check and see if our downed foes have anything of interest before we charge into further near-death?"

Mahdi will scan the room and the downed giants with some detect magic, etc. He doesn't care so much about their axes and armor, even if those items probably are magical, so much as consumables like potions, or potentially jewelry, etc. Take 10 to ID anything he notes. I'm going to assume that my haste casting is probably dead by the time we're done talking, anyway.


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

Mahdi:

The greatswords are +1 enhanced, but you find something peculiar about all four swords- they are aligned Lawful Evil, and they have Egos. Strong ones.

The fire mage gives a good looking-over of each of the giants, and indicates that magic resides only in the swords. There are no personal possessions on the giants laying dead at your floating feet.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision
Mahdi wrote:
"And, pray tell, when the archers who are prone to unleashing multiple shots from invisibility come upon us from behind, who is it who shall be closest to them, I wonder-- oh, yes, myself and Pent, most likely."

Pent perks up at the mention of his name. "Well, if my Rod continues to gift me Invisibility, the arrows will have a hard time locating me upon Carpeting. Like Amiamble's pussy-weighing- they can't target what they can't see, so they attack the cat instead. Just turn invisible, Mahdi, and jump on Otah's back."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts
Quote:
"Just turn invisible, Mahdi, and jump on Otah's back."

"In the first place, Pent, I don't have invisibility further to spare, I've already used all such spells of that nature to avoid getting killed already. Secondly, if I jump on Otah's back, it's going to be to put a dagger in his spine."

The words are delivered as Mahdi inspects the swords with furrowed brow. "....fascinating. These swords are... intelligent. I wouldn't suggest trying to handle them-- their will is strong, and their intent, malicious. "

The mage pauses, torn between venality and prudence, casting a glance over his shoulder back at the nearest lava flow. "....we might as well leave them here for now since you are all in such a rush to keep going that we can't hunt down our existing foes. For the record, I am completely out of any further abilities to make the unseen, visible. I can tell you they're here; I can't stop you being shanked by them."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent looks down on his Rod. "If you want, you can shake my Rod, and see if you can wink out with its invisibility. Worked pretty well for me, but I'm blessed by Sarah." The gnome smiles grandly, knowing the fire mage can see his pearly greys.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert waits for Mahdi's anger to cool, though like the river of lava, it has its own ebb and flow.

"Sure, leave the swords for now, or we can tip them into the lava. Might destroy them in time - seems hot enough anyway."

If the others agree, he'll shove them, untouched and sheathed, into the river of lava in the hopes of damaging them - or at least hiding them from plain sight.

He'll then await Mahdi's change so as to open the phase door.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami helps his brother drag and push the evil swords into the lava, using his halfling slingstaff to nudge them into the firemuck.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi sighs slightly at watching the sword be cast into the lava. I sincerely doubt they were 'sheathed' as the fire giants were using them to attack us. But we can probably use our own weapons to nudge them to the lava flow without directly handling them, I bet

Shaking his head, Mahdi cracks his fingers. "Fine. And no, Pent, I don't want that damned chaos-stick, it's as likely to erupt in flowers as it is to turn me invisible. Are we ready? Is everyone healed?"

I think I'm down 7, IDK if anyone else still needs a top-up.

Mahdi does reach out to Otah and tap his palm impatiently. "I'll take that ioun stone I gave you back. First of all you haven't used it. And secondly, WASTING MY MAGIC."

Mahdi decrees that Otah is no longer worth of his shield spell. Aldebert, would you like to use it? It will activate a +4 shield bonus on you for 42 minutes. 'Now' seems a good time to use the standard action to activate it.

When all preparations are made, Mahdi will snap his fingers and transform into a towering fire elemental, and move for the door...


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert Status:
HP: 117/129; AC: 36 (F31/T14) (included: magic vestment, barkskin, & shield)
Conditions: Endure Elements (24h), Hero’s feast (6/12h, +1 attacks/will & +4 poison (morale)), Magic Vestment (+3(+1 net)), Barkskin (+5), Life Bubble (1/4h), Protection from Fire (4/100m, 52hp), Air Walk (4/28m), Haste, Mirror Image (4/11m, 3 images), True Seeing (4/14m), Shield (+4, 1/42m), Angelic Aspect (1/11m, low-light vision, darkvision 60, resistance to acid 10, resistance to cold 10, and DR 5/evil, fly 30’)
Weapon Equipped: Greatsword
Greatsword Attack BAB +14/+9/+4, Str +4, Focus +1, Magic +3, Size +1, Luck +1, (Power Attack -4) Damage Str +6 (1.5x), Magic +3, (Power Attack +12 (1.5x)) (Crit 17-20)
Summon Mount: 2/2 (Full round)
Smite Evil: 4/5 (Swift, +4 attack, +14 damage, +4 AC)
Lay on Hands: 12/13 (Swift, 9d6 healing +1d6 if not blinded, fatigued, diseased, or poisoned; Lesser Restoration (1/1))
Armor - Daylight (1/1)
Pearl of Power, First (1/2), Second (0/1), Third (0/1)
Spells (caster level 11, concentration +15, DC 14+)
1) Bed of Iron, Endure Elements, Hero’s Defiance, Liberating Command
2) Mirror Image, Paladin's Sacrifice, Shield Companion
3) Angelic Aspect, Angelic Aspect
4) Dimension Door, Inspiring Recovery
- - -

Gretiem Status:
HP: 90/90 (DR 5/evil)
AC: 30 (F26/T15) (included: mage armor +4, shield companion +1)
Fort: 10 Reflex: 11 Will: 6 (SR 16, Resist Cold, Acid, Electricity 10) CMB: 14 CMD: 27 Move: 40’
Conditions: Mage Armor (6/14h), Hero’s feast (6/12h, +1 attacks/will & +4 poison (morale)), Shield Companion (Enlarged, 6/11h, +1 AC, +1 saves included), Endure Elements (1/24h), Life Bubble (1/4h), Protection from Fire (4/100m, 70hp), Air Walk (4/28m)
Smite evil (swift, +0 att +12 dam) (1/1d)
Tricks: Aid, Air Walk, Attack x2, Come, Defend, Deliver, Down, Fetch, Flank, Flee, Get Help, Guard, Heel, Hunt, Menace, Seek, Sneak, Stay, Watch, Work
Bite Attack BAB +9, Str +5, Amulet +1 Damage Str +7 (1.5x), Amulet +1 (Crit 20)
- - -

Aldebert is uneasy at Mahdi’s continued harangue at poor Otah. He nods silently when offered the ioun stone and activates it immediately so as not to offend the angry mage. "Thank you Mahdi," he mumbles.

Before entering the phased door, following Mahdi's lead, he’ll also cast Angelic Aspect, sprouting white wings in addition to taking on a somewhat more angelic atmosphere. He quickly digs out a couple pearls of power - one to replenish that spell, and another for Mirror Image.

Ready, he steps through with Mahdi.

(I’ve advanced all my spells three minutes to account for dumping the swords. Let me know if that’s not enough.)

(3 mirror images)


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

First, Mahdi casts a powerful spell, transforming himself into a Fire Elemental equally as Large as Otah. Second, Mahdi places a burning hand against the swirl of the red stone door, causing it to melt away as lava would ripple from its internal combustion. Third, Mahdi moves through the new doorway, to spy what lies on the other side.

You find yourselves in a well-appointed guest quarters. The giants' personal items are strewn about in several Giant Bags. Six of them, to be more precise.

The 'Loot' gathered:

Giant Bag #1: 1d100 ⇒ 49 1d4 ⇒ 4 broken suits of human-sized armor
Giant Bag #2: 1d100 ⇒ 53 1d4 ⇒ 3 broken suits of human-sized armor
Giant Bag #3: 1d100 ⇒ 11 1d12 ⇒ 3 polished boulders
Giant Bag #4: 1d100 ⇒ 95 A small adamantine meteorite, valued at 600gp
Giant Bag #5: 1d100 ⇒ 38 1d4 ⇒ 1 sets of human manacles
Giant Bag #6: 1d100 ⇒ 96 torn piece of red dragonhide

Mahdi is also correct in his assessment- the Haste wears off, Mystmorning slips into the fiery mist, and the Scourge is left to decide where to venture next. The greatswords of the giants are properly disposed of in the river of magma...

The august Elemental body before you determines that the Phase Door will remain opened for 12 seconds, before it reforms. It responds to Mahdi's touch, each and every time he calls upon the door to be dismissed.

Roll20 Map has been updated.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami waits outside for the fiery eleMahdtal to return. He, like Yeen, sniffs the lava heated air, wondering from which direction their foes might come next.

He thinks to go to the left, and then left again, but has no real idea where to go in these twisting cavernous passages.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert steps through with Mahdi, unwilling to let him face some unknown horror alone.

When he steps through, his face falls a little, "Oh." He pokes around inside the chamber, gathering up the adamantine (if it's small/light enough).

"Damn. Well, this doesn't actually lead anywhere useful. Sorry Mahdi. Well, at least we won't be harassed from the rear as you feared."

When Mahdi re-opens the chamber door, he steps back out and reports their findings to the group.

"Shall we head east?" he ponders, wondering where to head next.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent watches as the fire man and winged half work their way around the room, then emerge, sadder but wiser.

Aldebert wrote:
"Shall we head east?"

"Sounds like a strategy. Now that Mahdi can open doors like that, what are the odds we'll find more of them, elsewhere? I'm all for east. Unless your half bro has other plans for making up your mind."


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

I've got Amiamble indicating West, and Aldebert indicating East. I await your decision...


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

"Brother, that way lies the salamanders. A threat to be sure, but only a little one. Let's strike out for new ground."

He continues to suggest an eastward travel.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

"....how useful indeed that we explored this chamber," Mahdi says with a tone as dry as the deserts that surround the House of the Beast.

"I don't know why you're so opposed to striking down those salamanders, Aldebert. I say we do pursue them, remove them as a threat. They may not be a large one in their own right but enough of them can still be dangerous, especially if we're focused on something else."

votin' west


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami spins to his brother’s call, racing to the west...but pauses as Mahdi echoes his own thoughts. But because Aldebert is the leader, he would follow.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent looks down upon his companions, allowing a spittle dribble to slowly work its way off his lower lip, and then fall to the magma below, where it hisses almost imperceptibly.

"The sallies have several sets of eyes, and they have a reason to see us dead, seeing as you slew their sallie commander, Aldi. I think Mahdi is being the right bit of cautious, wanting to see them exterminated, before we contend with bigger vermin."

The gnome seconds the fire man.


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

Not often I'm pleasantly surprised to find you all in a 2-2 tie, with an enlarged dwarf to make the decision. Otah, please indicate our direction- West against the salamander herd, or East against the unknown.


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

Otah points westward. "No door behind us to stop our possibly invisible foes from shooting us in the back. Might as well clear the threats we know."


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

The Scourge surges west, at the behest of the tempest which is your fire mage, Mahdi. In no time, you overrun the herd of salamanders, and they begin to die. Dead by Zenzirad. Dead by halfling sword. Dead by teeth and claws. Soon the six become four, become three...

They try their best to stave you off with speartips, bleeding a couple of you lightly, but their fate is all but guaranteed, when they call out to you...

"Mercy!! We surrender!! There is nothing for us here, only death!! We are not guardians, we are visitors!! Give us leave, and we will depart..!"

They drop their spears, and huddle together.

Yours to decide. Slaughter the remaining three salamanders, or accept their surrender...


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami shakes his invisible head.

"You are willing servants of the Rough Beast, willing subjugaters of the people of his land. I doubt you will repent to Sarenrae in the daylight...and since you will not beg for her salvation, you shall not slither from here," Ami says. He does not immediately give Yeen permission to end their lives, but is on the verge of doing so.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

"Does your goddess demand nothing but slaughter or conversion to her faith?" Mahdi says with a small sigh, amplified however by his now fiery lungs and large form. "That should be poor luck for those little kobolds, who didn't swear for her salvation. I wonder what the ethics are, in any case, of a 'repentance' done to save one own's skin instead of due to actual remorse. .... and for the record, salamanders are often enslaved by the efreet. 'Willing' may be in some question."

The mage, or fire elemental, crosses his arms over his chest. "I vote they leave all weapons and gear and slither away, back to their own plane, indeed. And that if we see any hint they have stayed in this plane, let alone harmed a single soul in it, that they'll die by ice in the slowest way possible. What say you others-- Otah, Pent, Aldebert?"


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert squirms a bit uncomfortably, "I don't want to condemn any to death who don't deserve it. And if they surrender, they should be accorded proper justice - a court, even a jury maybe. Seems we can't do that, so we must land on their side of a compromise."

He nods to Mahdi, "What Mahdi proposes is valid, and righteous. After all they may be innocents - just following the orders of their leaders. I say strip and flee is the best we can do under the circumstances. I can't see my way to slaughtering folk who've surrendered."

Assuming Amiamble disagrees:
Will: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17 vs DC 20 or -2 to all Wis/Cha skill checks (until tomorrow when I get a fresh save)
- - -


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent watches as the fighting engagement becomes an engagement of words. He looks from Amiamble the Self-Righteous, to Mahdi the Self-Absorbed, then to Aldebert the Self-Aware, hearing each and every word, weighing their value, and finding his own to contribute.

"I have yet to see a sallie dragged before a magistrate, and properly deposed. The flammability of the paperwork alone... These creatures are, by their very nature, evil, aren't they? And the only reason they're slithering about in Xotani's Grave is to what, support our sworn enemy, Jhavhul? Yeah. Mahdi does speak some sense, regarding their possible chained fate to the efreet... Sigh."

The gnome rubs his invisible neck.

"Feels like our effort here should be a fish's hook so grand, it can only pierce the lip of the biggest of fish. These are guppies, to be tossed back into the drink, so we can save our energy for the grouper somewhere else in here..."


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

"Aldebert's got the right of the situation."

Assuming the silent halfling doesn't object...

The dwarf looks at the group of remaining salamanders and orders them "Strip." in the common tongue.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble crosses his arms scowling at his brother, but does command Yeen to attack. He knows it's the right thing to do (much like taking the map to Sothis and Highest Sarenraen there for protection), but can't argue with so many dissenting voices.

He waits for others to do what they must, keeping Yeen from tasting their sallie's neck bloods.


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|
Otah wrote:
"Strip.'

The salamanders come to realize that they really have no choice, as their fate seems wholly independent of them holding onto their spears. The weapons are set down, and the creatures from the Plane of Fire back away from them.

"We will need some way of returning to our Plane, but we have no interest in opposing you all." They look back on their dead brothers, then back to you. They grow silent, and await your departure.

...

Where to now?


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert Status:
HP: 117/129; AC: 36 (F31/T14) (included: magic vestment, barkskin, & shield)
Conditions: Endure Elements (24h), Hero’s feast (6/12h, +1 attacks/will & +4 poison (morale)), Magic Vestment (+3(+1 net)), Barkskin (+5), Life Bubble (1/4h), Protection from Fire (7/100m, 52hp), Air Walk (7/28m), Mirror Image (7/11m, 3 images), True Seeing (7/14m), Shield (+4, 4/42m), Angelic Aspect (4/11m, low-light vision, darkvision 60, resistance to acid 10, resistance to cold 10, and DR 5/evil, fly 30’)
Weapon Equipped: Greatsword
Greatsword Attack BAB +14/+9/+4, Str +4, Focus +1, Magic +3, Size +1, Luck +1, (Power Attack -4) Damage Str +6 (1.5x), Magic +3, (Power Attack +12 (1.5x)) (Crit 17-20)
Summon Mount: 2/2 (Full round)
Smite Evil: 4/5 (Swift, +4 attack, +14 damage, +4 AC)
Lay on Hands: 12/13 (Swift, 9d6 healing +1d6 if not blinded, fatigued, diseased, or poisoned; Lesser Restoration (1/1))
Armor - Daylight (1/1)
Pearl of Power, First (1/2), Second (0/1), Third (0/1)
Spells (caster level 11, concentration +15, DC 14+)
1) Bed of Iron, Endure Elements, Hero’s Defiance, Liberating Command
2) Mirror Image, Paladin's Sacrifice, Shield Companion
3) Angelic Aspect, Angelic Aspect
4) Dimension Door, Inspiring Recovery
- - -

Gretiem Status:
HP: 90/90 (DR 5/evil)
AC: 30 (F26/T15) (included: mage armor +4, shield companion +1)
Fort: 10 Reflex: 11 Will: 6 (SR 16, Resist Cold, Acid, Electricity 10) CMB: 14 CMD: 27 Move: 40’
Conditions: Mage Armor (6/14h), Hero’s feast (6/12h, +1 attacks/will & +4 poison (morale)), Shield Companion (Enlarged, 6/11h, +1 AC, +1 saves included), Endure Elements (1/24h), Life Bubble (1/4h), Protection from Fire (7/100m, 70hp), Air Walk (7/28m)
Smite evil (swift, +0 att +12 dam) (1/1d)
Tricks: Aid, Air Walk, Attack x2, Come, Defend, Deliver, Down, Fetch, Flank, Flee, Get Help, Guard, Heel, Hunt, Menace, Seek, Sneak, Stay, Watch, Work
Bite Attack BAB +9, Str +5, Amulet +1 Damage Str +7 (1.5x), Amulet +1 (Crit 20)
- - -

Aldebert looks at Mahdi, while precious spells are fading, "Can we go now?"

If there is no opposition, he'll head back to the east. (Another three minutes of spells? Or more?)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

"That's your concern," Mahdi snaps at the salamanders. "We haven't the time to waste magic ferrying you out of the world you invaded. Perhaps you'll find one of your efreet masters skulking in these tunnels willing to plane shift you."

He turns on his heel (in mid-air, as a towering column of fire). "Yes. Let's go." he says tersely in response to Aldebert.


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

The salamanders all nod to the fire elemental's stern words, responding not at all, and looking visibly relieved when the threat of imminent death retreats back along the way it came.

The Scourge moves its way back through the fire giants' realm, along the northern portion of Xotani's Grave, heading east. The tunnels narrow, then open into familiar chambers, until you find yourselves being bent south, along the river of magma. It opens briefly into another small cavern, 30' high, and currently unoccupied.

Further down the the southern tunnel, you spy a Wall of Fire, currently obstructing your view beyond it. It feels... purposeful.

3 minutes for your salamander hunt, and return, sounds reasonable. Oh, and Roll20 map has been updated.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi draws up in mid-air, scrutinizing the fire wall with a look. "Otah, perhaps you and I should go through first-- we're the most protected against flames, just now, and we might be able to learn some way to dispel it, or at least figure out how hot it is going to burn."

Kn Arcana if useful, as he studies the wall with some detect magic: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (1) + 24 = 25


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami and Yeen move up to snuff at the wall of fire. He could go through it, but will wait for others to advance as well. He has magics that could take it down as well.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert too moves up, but stays out of range of the damaging heat as he doesn't want to reduce his protection until he needs to.

He waits for a report from Otah and Mahdi.


|Roll20 Link- Carrion Crown| |Roll20 Link- Age of Worms|

GM Rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 15

Mahdi is quite familiar with a classic Wall of Fire, and all that that implies. It will certainly burn hotter for the strength of the spell caster responsible for its creation, but you really only learn that by passing through the Wall...


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent wafts along the thermals of the lava flow, enjoying the remaining time in the Rod's invisibility. When the Wall of Fire presents another impediment to their forward exploration, the gnome waits patiently enough to let Mahdi study it before they run through it.

Spells for the Scourge:

Channel positive energy 7/10 day (DC 20, 7d6)

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 14th; concentration +17)
1/day—arcane mark, comprehend languages, message, read magic

Domain Spell-Like Abilities (CL 14th; concentration +20)
At will—dimensional hop (120 feet/day)
9/day—rebuke death (1d4+7)

Spells Prepared (CL 14th; concentration +20)
7th—mass cure serious wounds, holy word (DC 23), greater teleport[D]
6th—greater dispel magic (2), heal[D], wind walk
5th—breath of life[D] (DC 21), spell resistance
4th—blessing of fervor[APG] (DC 20), death ward, dimension door[D], freedom of movement, restoration,
3rd—daylight, dispel magic, fly[D], invisibility purge, prayer, protection from energy
2nd—bull's strength, cure moderate wounds[D], hold person (DC 18), communal protection from evil[UC], lesser restoration
1st—endure elements, liberating command[UC] (2), longstrider[D], obscuring mist, (DC 17), shield of faith
0 (at will)—detect magic, guidance, read magic, stabilize

"So I'm likely to become visible, shortly. I'm able to summon a circle which should illuminate sneaky janni invisos, but the flea on Yeen's back might want to keep his distance, otherwise he's plain as Sarah's day."

The gnome waits with baited breath to see what unfolds...

10,751 to 10,800 of 10,988 << first < prev | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.