GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire (Inactive)

Game Master GM Rat Sass

Part 6 - The Final Wish
Roll20 Link
Treasure Log
New Map of Kelmarane


151 to 200 of 10,988 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

@Malki: Hadrod grabs your hand and shakes it profusely. "Thank you, thank you! Oh, poor Rombard..." he says as he then walks away with his face in his hands.

"Ah, he loves poor Rombard," Hadrah replies. "Been with us for ages. Anyway, I didn't see anything else, just the fire all of a sudden. Why? You think someone did it?" she asks, excited about the prospect of juicy gossip.


Male CG Human Rogue 2 / Fort+1, Ref +7, Will +0. Percep: + 5 (+ 6vs traps). Appraise +7 (no spellcraft). AC 17 (t 14, ff 13) HP 17 Init +4

While Aldebert is talking, Hazim is watching the guards.

Perception roll of 11+4=15

My apologies for my brother if his methods of... containing the fire bothered you. But without him, the damage would have been much worse.

Diplomacy assist roll of 13+0=13. Successful assist.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

At the guards' first words, Mahdi's face briefly pales with anger. Dogs. Dogs and fools, everyone in this wretched caravan is an ignorant, ungrateful, disrespectful, swine-loving, gods-cursed, whore-born...

Idiots! If I'd wanted to cause damage, I'd start with incinerating your thick skulls, and thus increase the intelligence in the immediate region by a vast amount!

The words are on the tip of his tongue, and fire on the tips of his fingers.

Will save vs 'freak': 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

He takes a slow, deep breath, and releases it just as slowly, while Hazim speaks in his oh-so-tactful way. His teachers back in Katapesh had told him his temper would master him if he could not master it; they are fools too, but it is true that fire must sometimes be banked.

"It is plain to see," Mahdi bites out each word, "that my presence hinders our purpose of learning what these.... guards saw. Excuse me."

Not waiting for an answer, he turns on his booted heel in the sand and stalks off, back to the ashy ruins of the wagon. Fools. Fools and jackals.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Yeenoghu takes a step forward, clearing feeling Amiamble's tensing muscles as the guards insult Mahdi. Ami cuts off the low growl from the cat while trying to 'reign' in his own anger.

He helped put out the fire! I saw him!

Amiamble's eyes glower and he slowly walks Yeenoghu closer, knowing exactly who is 'right' in the current situation.

Thankfully, Mahdi storms away before Ami and Yeenoghu get close enough to act.

Ami reigns Yeenoghu into making several circles while Ami's eyes flash at the guards, eventually pulling back to where he was.

I don't like them. Aldebert should get his talkin' over with.


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

@Had(rod + rah):

"Yes, indeed, our furry flock are truly our best companions, sometimes." Malki readies to go find one of his new companions, to aid with the tracking, then pauses. "I do not know, sister. There was no sign of a fight. But it seems we're to ask around to make certain. Why? Is there something we should know? Mind, let's not borrow trouble or trade in idle gossip. Sand can get confused for water in the desert sun."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
GM Sloth wrote:
@Aldebert: One of the guards nods his head in the direction of Mahdi. "During the fire, I saw this freak call the flames to him and nearly burn down the rest of us. He's careless and might have caused more damage than was already done. I will gladly speak with you, but not with that one around."
Mahdi al-Jabira wrote:

"It is plain to see," Mahdi bites out each word, "that my presence hinders our purpose of learning what these.... guards saw. Excuse me."

Not waiting for an answer, he turns on his booted heel in the sand and stalks off, back to the ashy ruins of the wagon. Fools. Fools and jackals.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

"Uh, yeah, don't mind him. He really is helpful in his own way."

He'll never be a merchant. You have to work with people not above them.

"Sorry."

"OK then. So what did you see? By the time we came upon the caravan, the wagon was already engulfed with flames. Did it start that way, or was there much smoke and little fire at first as you might expect if a candle did indeed start it?"


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

At wagon:
His stung pride and frustration is currently overriding his desire to look presentable and respectable. Mahdi irritably kicks a piece of charred wagon-axle out of the still-smoking wreckage.

The heat of the coals does not bother him, anymore than the flames themselves had. In fact, he actively searches for one under the layers of ash, fingers burrowing through to seek warmth. When he finds a coal, he plucks it forth and wraps his fingers around it.

For him, the heat is pleasant rather than painful. He grips tightly on the smoldering ember, feeling his blood throb in answer with the fire's dying heat.

The scorpion skitters back onto his shoulder, pressing its wicked tail against his cheek. Most people would find the proximity to such innately revolting, and the nearness to the poisonous stinger disquieting; Mahdi trusts the little desert creature as both a cherished pet, a close friend, and an extension of his own will. It's comforting like the fire is comforting.

The world can rot. He has fire, and the jackal-guards will never know the ecstasy of calling forth flame with a whisper. He has Sa'amm, and the guards will never know the bonding of spirits between master and familiar. And he has Hazim, who will always watch out for him.

He doesn't need their thanks or their respect anymore than he needs the thanks or respect of drooling beggars in the street.

At last, Mahdi brushes drops the coal back into the wood, and brushes the ash from his fingers. Feeling calmer, he begins a slower search through the wagon's remains, using his quarterstaff to turn over large pieces of wood. He knows that the others already looked through the torched remains, but perhaps the heat led their fingers to skip this or that section, and some secrets may still be buried under the ash.

Taking 20 on perception for a 22. I realize others already got higher than that on the wagon search. ;) I'm fine with Mahdi finding nothing new here, this can just be flavor RP. But if it matters, he is specifically looking for things like if he can detect a point of origin of the blaze, with his knowledge of how fire behaves/etc.


@Malki: Hadrah leans in and whispers, ”To be honest, it wouldn’t surprise me all that much if Dashki did it. My husband and I actually knew him a bit from back Solku-way. Used to take rich folk into the scrublands to hunt up gnolls like trophies. Most people here don’t trust him, especially the way he leers at Lady Almah with his mouth all watering like at the smell of a fresh steak. Maybe he done it to Eloais, to remove a rival for Lady Almah’s attention?” she finishes, leaning back with her eyes large and eyebrows raised in an accusatory manner.

---------------------

@Aldebert & Hazim: After Mahdi departs, the same guard steps closer. ”My apologies. But our duty is first to protect Lady Almah, and any potential danger or threat is something we are sworn to stand against. He may have been helping, but fire is a dangerous toy to play with.”

He takes a moment to examine everyone present, his eyes taking in every detail. ”My name is Keldon. This is Fixx, Podarn and Vodrave,” he says while pointing to the other nearby men. They each bow when mentioned. ”We were all standing guard here when the fire started. We’ve discussed it, and none of us saw anything suspicious at the astrologer’s wagon. However, Fixx claims to have spotted Dashki attempting to hide behind a tree nearby here.”

Fixx steps forward. ”It’s true, I saw him. It was clear that he was trying to get a look into Almah’s tent. That boy is obsessed with her.” He points out the tree, which is a decent distance away from Eloais’ wagon. ”Thank you, by the way, for your assistance.” Fixx steps back into his assigned position, as if he had never said a word.

---------------------

@Mahdi: Close examination of the burned wagon once again reveals nothing incriminating. However, you do realize that some of the scorch marks on the floor of the wagon are certainly more pronounced around the candles that are scattered about.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi pokes at the little blobs of melted wax that are all that likely remains of the candles. Had Eloais kept his candles on the floor? Hrmn.

There is nothing here that suggests any sort of foul play, still. A candle could have been knocked over by the fortune-teller's careless foot, and the floor scorched, and the fire spread up the wagon's wooden walls, catching easily on cloth and scarves and curtains as it went.

Mahdi sighs. Perhaps there is no mystery here at all, only a fool who hadn't known how to handle flame.


Male CG Human Rogue 2 / Fort+1, Ref +7, Will +0. Percep: + 5 (+ 6vs traps). Appraise +7 (no spellcraft). AC 17 (t 14, ff 13) HP 17 Init +4

Hazim bows to the guards and makes his way over to the tree that they pointed out, to see if he can find any clues.

He takes 20 (if possible) for a total of 24 perception.


@Hazim: There appears to be some bare human-sized footprints in the sand by the tree.


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

@Hadrah:

"Dashki, you say. He seems a strange sort, but being a black sheep doesn't make one a wolf. He smells strong, but so do I after a few days tending to camels... Hm... Have you known him to threaten any humans, other than with his odor?"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


@Malki: "I've never seen it personally, but you never know with some folks. Oh, if you find out anything, make sure you come tell me first! Me and you, we have to look out for each other and make sure we know what's going on around here," she says, giving Malki a very overt wink.

Malki:
You get the feeling that you've just been inducted into Hadrah's "water-cooler" club. Congrats!


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
GM Sloth wrote:

@Aldebert & Hazim: After Mahdi departs, the same guard steps closer. ”My apologies. But our duty is first to protect Lady Almah, and any potential danger or threat is something we are sworn to stand against. He may have been helping, but fire is a dangerous toy to play with.”

He takes a moment to examine everyone present, his eyes taking in every detail. ”My name is Keldon. This is Fixx, Podarn and Vodrave,” he says while pointing to the other nearby men. They each bow when mentioned. ”We were all standing guard here when the fire started. We’ve discussed it, and none of us saw anything suspicious at the astrologer’s wagon. However, Fixx claims to have spotted Dashki attempting to hide behind a tree nearby here.”

"We are, all of us, dangerous in our own right. No apologies needed. You have a task, as do we all."

Aldebert smiles at each as the guards are introduced. He asks Fixx a quick follow up question, "Do you think Dashki is attracted to her - or just generally obsessed?" Not sure what else to ask, he joins Hazim after getting his answer - and after thanking the guards again for their time.

"You've been most generous, thank you."

He looks for his brother as well to compare notes.


@Aldebert: The man shakes his head. "I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that. I do know that whatever it is, it is unhealthy and the moment he crosses any line with her, he'll find the four of us to answer to." As he says this, his hand slides over to the pommel of his blade, resting it there.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble sits atop Yeenoghu, waiting for Aldebert to come visit. When he is done, Ami will quietly talk to him, putting together the pieces that they have learned.

Firestarter Checklist(pending Malki sharing):

Almah = Cute. Can't be guilty. Check.

Garavel = Was with us. Check.

Father Zastoran (halfling, Nethysian) = Nice guy. Was with 6 guards. Need to confirm all 6 where there.

Dashki (human, gnoll hunter) = creepy, but likely innocent. Was called weird by Father Zastoran...which isn't very fatherly at all. Was seen skulking near Almah's tent...quite often.

Guard Set #1 (4, Almah's protectors(Fixx,Keldon,Podarn,& Vodrave)) = Jerks. Definitely. However, seemed pretty sincere in their dedication to protecting Almah. Since all 4 of them were immediate seen trying to save the wagon.

Mercenaries (6 of them) = Mahdi talked to, one is furtive. We need to question the furtive one alone.
Men: Trevvis, Utarchus, & Dullen
Women: Kallien, Brotis, Yesper
Note: We have two injured soldiers who were tended to and saved by Father Z. How were they burned?

Camel drivers: (husband and wife), zookeepers. Had(rod + rah). Nice enough people. Gossips. Missing something? Sad. Rombard? Don't seem like the type to let their animals run free while they are starting murderous fires.

@Aldebert:

"I don't know, brother. This is harder than I thought. But questions remain. Who were the injured soldiers? How did they get injured? And what about the furtive soldier? I think we try there next. Maybe we can learn what Mahdi could not."


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

@ Amiamble:
"Excellent synopsis my brother! You always were the smarter of us."

"I think you're right. Let us speak to the injured and then the furtive one - maybe on our own so they don't feel overwhelmed."

Aldebert turns to the others (presuming we're together again at some point). "Does anyone know who the injured soldiers were? I suppose we could find out from the good Father. I'm sure their injuries were sustained fighting the fire, but it could be they were sustained setting the fire too."

"Any suggestions on who we should talk to after that? I thought I might try a one on one conversation with that soldier you found furtive Mahdi - if that's OK with everyone. If they're self conscious we might not want to jump on them as a group."


S!#@! Totally forgot that little detail...

Retroactive Mahdi:
Two of the mercenaries had bandages and wraps on their arms and torso.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Hee, lapses happen.

Mahdi comes out of his sulk long enough to say, "--oh. Two of the guards were bandaged. Probably the burned ones. I suppose they must have made some effort to put out the fire, then."

He grudgingly grants that they might be somewhat responsible. Orrr perhaps they got burned starting it! He would like that. Then he could get them in trouble.

At Aldebert's words, he shrugs. "Suit yourself. They are unmannerly dogs."


Male CG Human Rogue 2 / Fort+1, Ref +7, Will +0. Percep: + 5 (+ 6vs traps). Appraise +7 (no spellcraft). AC 17 (t 14, ff 13) HP 17 Init +4

@Mahdi

Spoiler:
I'm thinking of tracking down Dashki quarters, and seeing if I can discover anything. What do you think?


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

Malki bows to husband and wife il-Hadi. "Let me go see what can be done about Rombard." Such a strange name for a goat. Like one of those peculiar Avistani names. Seems they have a muse about them.

He approaches Hazim, who appears to be the strongest of the lot. "Brother Al-Jabira, how goes the inquisition? Our friends the camel tenders had rumors to share about the smelly one, Dashki, but nothing more than rumor I'm afraid. I've promised to search for their prized goat though. Would you care to join me for a little look about? We could perhaps also see if there are tracks in the sands beyond."


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi examines his nails while his brother murmurs to him. Ash from the wagons has gotten underneath them. He answers quietly.

@Hazim:
"The foul-smelling one? I suppose that's the next logical step. Do you want me to try to make a distraction, or--"

He cuts himself off as Malki approaches.

Listening to the words that their servant of Lalaci says, he gives Hazim a little glance-and-shrug. It's unlikely Dashki is going anywhere in the middle of the desert. If Hazim wants to join on a wild goat chase, Mahdi may go see about Dashki.

It's not like the stinking man can be of worse manners than the others, now is it?


Male CG Human Rogue 2 / Fort+1, Ref +7, Will +0. Percep: + 5 (+ 6vs traps). Appraise +7 (no spellcraft). AC 17 (t 14, ff 13) HP 17 Init +4

Hazim fills Malki in (and the others) about finding human shaped footprints by the tree, near where Dashki was rumored to have been hiding. And also what transpired with the personal guards

Malki, I'd be glad to join you. Let us see if we can find anything. If we find nothing, I'm thinking of ... scouting out Dashki's quarters. But that would be later.

Mahdi, I'm going to look for goats. Hopefully I'll find more than that. I know it's not the most exciting. Are you coming or should we meet up after."

Hazim joins Malki on his search:

Perception roll of 5+4=9

Survival roll of 18+5=23

Not including assists if any.


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

"The man leaves footprints? Well that is certainly a relief. I was worried he might be an efreet, floating on hot air. It might explain the sulfur stench." Malki smiles mischievously, and laughs a bit.

Malki, whose eyes see perfectly well in the dim light (to a point—that point being sixty feet away), sets about tracking with Hazim.

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

He keeps his ears alert for the bleats of the beloved Rombard il Hadi.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble nods at Aldebert, indicating that he will follow his brother.

Where you go, brother, I shall follow.

Ami cocks his head, thinking.

Unless...of course, there is open sands to explore then you're totally on your own.


@Hazim & Malki: It takes some time, but you eventually do discover some spots in the sand that resemble hooves. Dispersed around is a tread, as if the hooved-creature was pulled against its will. There are also occasionally very tiny prints in the sand around presumably the goat's. Unfortunately, these prints look very strange and unfamiliar to both of you. It seems they head in the direction of the hills to the north, which are approximately 100 yards or so away. No bleating or otherwise goat-like sounds are heard.


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

Malki frowns. "No jackal prints these. Something dragging our beloved goat." With a meaning-laden look at Hazim, he takes out a few stones and says a prayer over them before moving onward, sling in hand. Magic stone


The Piddlespot brothers find the half-dozen mercenaries in the same location that Mahdi described. They all look up from seated on the ground with annoyed looks as the halfling duo interrupt their raucous conversation.


Male CG Human Rogue 2 / Fort+1, Ref +7, Will +0. Percep: + 5 (+ 6vs traps). Appraise +7 (no spellcraft). AC 17 (t 14, ff 13) HP 17 Init +4

I don't know what to make of these small prints, but the goat was dragged. Could be nothing, but I'm thinking we should gather up the others before we go any farther.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
GM Sloth wrote:
The Piddlespot brothers find the half-dozen mercenaries in the same location that Mahdi described. They all look up from seated on the ground with annoyed looks as the halfling duo interrupt their raucous conversation.

Aldebert approaches the group politely, not really sure what to say to the group at large.

How do I split them up? I need to speak to that one alone... Damn and hellfire.

None the less, he pays special attention to the one who looked away before.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Uh, which one was it again?

"Hello again, a few more questions, if it's not too draining on your time. Father Zastoran says he saw all of you before the fire started so none of you could have done it. Obvious of course, but we had to check for the boss, you know?"

"Do any of you remember seeing the good Father?"


A loud sigh comes from one of the men. The distinction between these guards and Almah's is clear. While her's are clean, well-mannered (at least to some) and meticulously attired, these men and women are loud, featuring greasy hair and soiled outfits from food and drink.

"Maybe he was, and maybe he wasn't. Why should we help you? Your friend was just in here, acting like he was better than all of us. But let me make it clear right now; we are your superiors. Understood?" The remaining guards chuckle a bit amongst themselves.

All of the mercenaries have scars or battle wounds of their own variety, but you think you recognize the one Mahdi described.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

"I've no doubt you could beat me handily in a fight, and I apologize for my friend, but we're all working for the same boss, and she wants this done. Help me out now, and maybe I can do something for you later."

All life is a negotiation. Truly.

"It's not so hard really, just a few questions and I'll go away and leave you to your entertainment. Please?"

"So was the good Father there with you? It's a little thing, but important to me."

GM Sloth, do we know who actually picked out these guards? Was it Almah or Garavel?


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble sits upon Yeenoghu about 10' behind Aldebert, listening and watching.

Aldebert is the best brother ever.


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

Sloth, are the tiny tracks quadrupedal or bipedal?

"If you like, do go fetch them. I'll be at the top of the hill waiting. If you see Lalaci's light in the dark, that means trouble."

Malki climbs up to the top of the hill, intrepidly seeking to protect his flock.


Male CG Human Rogue 2 / Fort+1, Ref +7, Will +0. Percep: + 5 (+ 6vs traps). Appraise +7 (no spellcraft). AC 17 (t 14, ff 13) HP 17 Init +4

I will. I'll be back. Wait for us. Telling your corpse I told you so won't bring me any pleasure. Ok, maybe a little.

Hazim heads back to tell the others of the strange tracks and bring them along if they will come.


@Aldebert: You have no idea. :)

@Malki: Bipedal.

One of the guards grunts a little. "Yeah, the halfling was there. Readin', like he usually does. Started to complain we were being too noisy for 'im, so he started throwin' a hissy fit 'bout it. There, happy now?"


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
GM Sloth wrote:
One of the guards grunts a little. "Yeah, the halfling was there. Readin', like he usually does. Started to complain we were being too noisy for 'im, so he started throwin' a hissy fit 'bout it. There, happy now?"

Aldebert nods, "Er, yes, thank you. Thanks for your time."

Sigh. Almost a completely useless trip. Well, better see if the others have had more luck. I need to get that one alone!

Aldebert trudges off with his brother to find the others and compare notes. He's unhappy that he didn't get the information he wanted out of the guards. He will watch them as he is able to see if they ever split up and go their separate ways.

Maybe I can wait near the toilet trench for them. Won't that be fun...


@Aldebert: As you head back outside and look around for your companions, you notice Garavel walking over to you and your brother.

"So, what have you found so far?" he asks, eager to resolve this mystery.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
GM Sloth wrote:
"So, what have you found so far?" he asks, eager to resolve this mystery.

"Garavel! Hello. Well, we're still slowly eliminating suspects. So far no one has really risen to the top of the pile - but it's early yet. We still have a few people to question, and I am headed now to talk to the others and see what they've found so we can compare notes."

"I have a quick question though. The mercenaries that Almah brought on to protect the caravan. Did she hire those herself or did you do that for her? I'm just wondering about them. We don't suspect them of course, they all seem to have been together when the fire started. Just trying to be thorough."

Still, if the fire was a slow burn at first, anybody could have done it. Sigh. No good leads!


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble leans down from Yeenoghu to whisper additional details to Aldebert as his brother reports.

My brother and I are on the right track. I'm sure of it.


I'm sorry, I missed it earlier. Mahdi, are you going to talk to Dashki? There are a lot of threads going on at once right now, I apologize for overlooking that one.


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

Before Hazim leaves, Malki murmurs, "Ah, it looks to be one of the wee folk. Perhaps a mephit or a djinnling. We shall see."

Despite Hazim's words, Malki indeed tops the hill and moves onward, a magic stone loaded in his sling. He calls out to the goat, hoping to elicit its bleats.

Handle animal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Since we have two pairs and a single in the party, it may take some time for us to actually sync up with each other. Thanks for being flexible with our meanderings, Slosh.


Male CG Human Rogue 2 / Fort+1, Ref +7, Will +0. Percep: + 5 (+ 6vs traps). Appraise +7 (no spellcraft). AC 17 (t 14, ff 13) HP 17 Init +4

Not sure how long it takes, but when Hazim makes it back, he finds Mahdi first and tells him of the situation. He then gathers up the brothers. He tells them of the strange foot prints, tiny sized, but strong enough to pull a goat. Odd. Hazim has the feeling that might want to investigate this as a group. He also tells them Malki is waiting. Or his corpse might be. Hazim heads back to Malki with whoever will come with him.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami listens intently to Hazim, who now twice has lent aid to the group (even nicely and graciously). He looks to Aldebert to speak for both of them. His eyes looking earnestly between the fold in his scarf.

We should help. The rest will still be here when we get back.


Garavel gives Aldebert an exasperated look briefly, before resorting back to his normal, stoic expression.

"Well, even if you don't have anything, Almah wants to hear an update immediately. Go gather your friends and report back to her tent right away. She's kind, but her patience is not infinite... Best not to push it on your first night here, I think." Even as he makes what clearly seems like a joke, no smile or smirk reveals itself in Garavel's face as he walks back to the tent.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble gives a nod to Garavel and spins Yeenoghu away. They both run about 20 yards away and stop, turning around and waiting for Aldebert to catch up. When he does, they bound away again, and again wait for his brother to catch up.

When out of earshot, Ami finally speaks to Aldebert in the short moments between bounds.

"I think we're close, Aldebert. Don't you think? Let's go find the others."

Ami will track down Mahdi and Hazim, and let Aldebert explain things.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert smiles as Amiamble and Yeehoghu bounce across the dune. He always lifts my spirits with his energy and optimism.

When he rejoins the others he tells them of his conversation with Garavel. '...so apparently we're supposed to have solved this mystery already. But by my way of thinking we really have nothing to show for it." He frowns deeply.

"A few folks suspect Dashki, but I think that's as much the way he looks as anything else. Then there's the one guard who behaved oddly during interrogation, briefly. Not much to go on there either."

He walks up the rise toward the goat tracks, "Anybody else have any ideas? Like why we're tracking down a damn goat instead of doing our jobs?! I don't mind helping out the little people, but the boss wants us - now. And she wants to hear who set the fire - now."


Male CG Cleric 1 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +5 | AC 12 | P +5, Init +2 | HP 9/9

Unclear whether someone is actually seeing Malki out. He'll return if asked, sad to lose the duration of his magic stones.


@Malki: As you slowly press forward, calling out to Rombard and listening for a response, the silence of the desert night is unshakeable. Then, gradually, voices begin to build to your south. Familiar voices. And then, the four unmistakeable forms of your traveling companions, outlined by the light they bring in the darkness, comes into view a short distance away.

From what you can see, the hills to the north eventually give way to a cactus field not too far from where you are. The tracks definitely headed in this direction, and even seem to continue towards the increasingly thick patches of cacti.

Suddenly, a cry comes out from the darkness ahead to the north. It sounds like a human child somewhat, but Malki knows it as the distinct bleat of a distressed goat.

Only Malki hears the bleats right now. Awaiting what everyone is doing. I'm assuming Malki is going to wait for the party to catch up?


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

As the foursome moves to joing Malki, Ami (who has shut up around company) & Yeenoghu bound from sand dune to rocky outcropping to small hill and back close to the party, then again to the next hill or sand dune.

While in each place, he will look around.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 Perception

151 to 200 of 10,988 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.