Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL)

4.60/5 (based on 131 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL)

Hardcover Unavailable

Add PDF $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Enter a fantastic world of adventure!

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil. Will you cut your way through monster-filled ruins and cities rife with political intrigue to emerge as a famous hero laden with fabulous treasure, or will you fall victim to treacherous traps and fiendish monsters in a forgotten dungeon? Your fate is yours to decide with this giant Core Rulebook that provides everything a player needs to set out on a life of adventure and excitement!

This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 10 years of system development and an open playtest involving more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook includes:

  • All player and Game Master rules in a single volume
  • Complete rules for fantastic player races like elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and half-orcs
  • Exciting new options for character classes like fighters, wizards, rogues, clerics, and more
  • Streamlined and updated rules for feats and skills that increase options for your hero
  • A simple combat system with easy rules for grapples, bull rushes, and other special attacks
  • Spellcaster options for magic domains, familiars, bonded items, specialty schools, and more
  • Hundreds of revised, new, and updated spells and magical treasures
  • Quick-generation guidelines for nonplayer characters
  • Expanded rules for curses, diseases, and poisons
  • A completely overhauled experience system with options for slow, medium, and fast advancement
  • ... and much, much more!

Available Formats

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook is also available as:

Hardcover ISBN: 978-1-60125-150-3

Downloads

Looking for more? Check out the Resources and Free Downloads available for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Errata
Last Updated - 5/30/2013

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Additional Product Images


(click to enlarge)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL)

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Unavailable

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1110


See Also:

36 to 40 of 137 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 131 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Stood the test of time

5/5

Paizo did a great job updating D&D 3.5 and to their credit the changes have been interesting, well balanced, and have stood the test of time. If you like D&D, you will love Pathfinder.


Best Rpg on the market

5/5

Pros:
1. dmg and phb in one book

2. for a book this large the price is great and the pdf price is amazing

3. Wayne Reynolds... best artist in the industry and this book is jam packed with his unique fantasy style

Cons:
the size and weight of this book might make the binding come apart sooner than i would like


Great Continuation of a Great Game

5/5

I found out about Paizo, and Pathfinder system in 2009 while hunting for 3.5 books for my brothers in a FLGS. At first I was resistant to a new game system, but after finding that I could not get new 3.5 books, I broke down and got 3 of these books. 1 for me, and the other 2 for my brothers.

Pros:
1) Fixed 90% of what I didn't like about 3.5
2) Combined the PHB & DMG into one book.
3) Fantastic artwork IMO
4) Logical layout, and doesn't seem to be scattered randomly like older editions.
5) Makes the core classes viable.

Con
1) The book is cheaply bound, but I'm ok with that, since it was monetarily cheap to begin with. Which is what is important to me. I have tape for a reason.

Overall, it's a great book, and I recommend it to any older system D&D player I meet, and I regularily advertise how awesome this game is. Thank you Paizo!


I and my game group are hooked!!!

5/5

My wife decided to allow our GM to have a break and try her hand at GMing. So I had the Core book (1st print) already. She looked through it and a buddy had the subscription for the Adventure path.

Serpent's Skull Adventure path is what we will be playing, my wife had me get more books so I went for the subscriptions. I suggest you do the same!! Keep up the awesome great work Paizo!!!


Best RPG of the Century?

5/5

Okay, maybe that's a hefty claim, but Pathfinder has established its claim to RPG nobility by winning more awards than I care to count and by virtue of its tenacity in the market.

This game sells well for a reason. It's amazing. Paizo took 3.5, improved on the vast majority of it, and continues to do so.

There is so much good about this book I can't even begin to list it all. The improvements to the 3.5 core classes are probably the most readily apparent change in the rules, followed by the changes to skills, and then maybe changes to the feats, and then some spells. Oh and Combat Maneuvers! So much more elegant than 3.5 special attack rules.

And this book combines what would be the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide into a single volume, so while that $50 price point looks high, you're actually getting a good deal. The 3.5 PHB didn't include magic item rules or prestige classes.

This is easily the best investment you can make by purchasing a product from this website. Five stars.

EDIT: I'd like to address the issue about the quality of the book binding; I can't speak for anyone but myself, but my CRB has survived my three roommates for over a year now, and is only just recently starting to really show signs of failure in the spine. One of my roommates happens to have little respect for other people's property. So, a year of heavy use by 4 people on a near daily basis as opposed to the below review's couple of weeks of "light" use sounds fishy to me.


36 to 40 of 137 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
351 to 400 of 1,494 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Matthew Morris wrote:
JustintheBig wrote:
What is the best way to support this release? Should I pre order, buy it online after it comes out, buy it from my local gaming shop or get it from a con? Does it make any difference? I want to do my bit in making it the greatest release ever!!!!

[Sarc]buy a copy each place[/Sarc]

Seriously, buy it where ever, but if you have a FLGS, I'd say offer to run some demo games.

This is indeed the best answer to the question.

Liberty's Edge

Vic Wertz wrote:

You might recall that PDFs become available for sale on the retail release date of the associated print product. So August 13 is the day for the PDF as well.

(Subscribers should be getting the PDFs shortly before that, when their subscriber copy ships.)

Do I get a pdf as well, when I preordered it? Really?

I mean...really???

Dark Archive

I preordered the PF RPG a long time ago, and never regreted it. I am eagerly awaiting the final version of the game, and then will run Ptolus once more.

Liberty's Edge

Benoist Poiré wrote:
I preordered the PF RPG a long time ago, and never regreted it. I am eagerly awaiting the final version of the game, and then will run Ptolus once more.

I've read the blog of your first campaign - awesome stuff and a great bunch of players you have there! If you go pbp let me please know!!!

I preordered it here in germany (4 times for my players) and one book I preordered here (for me). I so hope a pdf will come with it for free!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Dryder wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:

You might recall that PDFs become available for sale on the retail release date of the associated print product. So August 13 is the day for the PDF as well.

(Subscribers should be getting the PDFs shortly before that, when their subscriber copy ships.)

Do I get a pdf as well, when I preordered it? Really?

I mean...really???

I meant that people with *Pathfinder Roleplaying Game* subscriptions will get the PDF for free when their copy ships. We'll be announcing the details of that subscription early next month.

Liberty's Edge

Ah, thanx! I hope preordering it, and subscribing afterwards will not conflict somehow, and a pdf is still with the order...
PFRPG-Subscription...mmmmmhh :)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Dryder wrote:

Ah, thanx! I hope preordering it, and subscribing afterwards will not conflict somehow, and a pdf is still with the order...

PFRPG-Subscription...mmmmmhh :)

No worries—if you preorder and then subscribe to the line, one of your preordered copies will be treated as your subscriber copy, with all appropriate benefits.

That is to say, if you preordered one copy, and then subscribe, we'll send you one copy (not two), and it will count as your subscriber copy. If you preordered five copies and then subscribe, we'll send you five copies, with one of them counting as your subscriber copy.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Vic Wertz wrote:
We'll be announcing the details of that subscription early next month.

I'll wait for the subscription then - thanks Vic!

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber

So I'd really rather give my money directly to Paizo than Amazon, but the price discrepancy on the pre-order is huge. Is there any reason for this, other than Amazon is selling for very little profit here, trying to pull in volume sales?


On Amazon I'm seeing this for $31.49? and the Bestiary for $26.39?

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook/dp/16012515 05/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2LM5OG44LMZ0G&colid=3SPI6IYRR4QIJ

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Bestiary/dp/1601251831/re f=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I38XFSGW9973MK&colid=3SPI6IYRR4QIJ

Is there going to be a price snafu or are we seeing confused vendors?

Thanks!


The heck with Amazon - I'm going to my first GenCon specifically to pick this hefty tome in person!

Dark Archive

Hmmm, on Amazon UK, the prices are around $5 out (£2-£3) from the current exchange rate conversions on the Paizo site....So RPG is a little bit cheaper, and bestiary is a little more expensive...

These would be dwarfed by the cost of shipping though.....

Chances are these won't come with a PDF though, so we have the choice, subscribe, get hit with huge shipping costs, but get a free PDF; Or buy the two books from Amazon, and buy the PDFs separately, if possible....I know the second approach wasn't feasible for the BETA (hell even buying just the PDF and having it printed/bound in the UK cost more than the softcover did to have shipped!)

Decisions, decisions....

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Joshua Archer wrote:
So I'd really rather give my money directly to Paizo than Amazon, but the price discrepancy on the pre-order is huge. Is there any reason for this, other than Amazon is selling for very little profit here, trying to pull in volume sales?

This has been covered in more detail in other threads, but we sell our own products at the MSRP so we don't look like we're unfairly price gouging stores. Stores (including Amazon) purchase the books from the distributor for a reduced price, and despite the fact that there's an MSRP printed on the book, that's merely the manufacturer's suggested retail price; the stores are free to sell the books for whatever they want. They can even sell them for less than it cost them to get the books.

Amazon's got less overhead and more volume than most stores, so it can discount the books it sells a lot more than many other locations. It's not something that Paizo has any control over, in any event.

Scarab Sages

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.


Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

They will be making an announcement at PaizoCon and then the rest of us poor, neglected, abused people who were not able to addend will EVENTUALLY find out the details.

~GRINS and runs~


Vic Wertz wrote:
Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.

Or what he said.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.

I am glad this is about ready. I have been waiting for months. Wish there was a game mastery subscription for maps and cards and such. I am always having to check the page looking for new maps, etc.

Can't wait...

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber

Are we there yet????

Paizo Employee CEO

Shem wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.

I am glad this is about ready. I have been waiting for months. Wish there was a game mastery subscription for maps and cards and such. I am always having to check the page looking for new maps, etc.

Can't wait...

Look for a map and card subscription to arrive sometime in June. At least that is what we are hoping to do. :)

-Lisa

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber
Lisa Stevens wrote:
Shem wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.

I am glad this is about ready. I have been waiting for months. Wish there was a game mastery subscription for maps and cards and such. I am always having to check the page looking for new maps, etc.

Can't wait...

Look for a map and card subscription to arrive sometime in June. At least that is what we are hoping to do. :)

-Lisa

Thank you so much. I am there...


What are we looking at for the purchase price of just the PDFs?

I have a pre-order into Amazon for both the Core Rulebook, and the Bestiary, with the intent to buy the PDFs from Paizo down the road, but now I'm debating cancelling that pre-order for the subscription (which comes with the PDFs free, right?).

Scarab Sages

Come on Lisa and Vic... I need to spend more money! :)


Vic Wertz wrote:
In the early days of Paizo, we used to print suggested retail prices in other currencies, but some of our international distributors asked us to stop.

So there's no SRP for the UK? Can I only find out what this is going to cost over here by going to my ULGS when it's released and looking at the price sticker on it?

Liberty's Edge

Damn, I am going on holidays from sunday to june 25th.
I hope the subscription option comes this week!

Dark Archive

Callum wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
In the early days of Paizo, we used to print suggested retail prices in other currencies, but some of our international distributors asked us to stop.
So there's no SRP for the UK? Can I only find out what this is going to cost over here by going to my ULGS when it's released and looking at the price sticker on it?

Most things have an RRP (recommended retail price) which tends to be what Waterstones sells at.

Or just glance at Amazon...that will give you a good clue....


Out of curiosity: What's that "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Preview Edition" thing from the release schedule (http://paizo.com/paizo/about/schedule) - not that i'll buy it, 'cause I want the real thing ;-)

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber

Are we there yet???


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber

Eagerly awaiting news of the new subscription, too.
*need ... more ... books ... in ... my ... library*

--
So, where did I put this blasted key?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Pawns Subscriber

This is perhaps a stupid question, but are there any plans to release a players guide, ideally with a price point hovering ~$20? I've already pre-ordered this (from Amazon) and will likely get the *.pdf when it comes out. My players, however, are poor and whiny college students who think nothing of dropping the money on frivolous items such as food, beer, and Xbox games but will make a right howling over the purchase of this fine tome. I think a players guide would be a fine way to bridge that gap, and if (gods help us all) they GM later, well, its always nice to have a spare copy of the rules. I'd personally purchase a players guide too, just to keep the core rulebook clutched tightly in my greedy claws.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Land Phil wrote:
This is perhaps a stupid question, but are there any plans to release a players guide, ideally with a price point hovering ~$20? I've already pre-ordered this (from Amazon) and will likely get the *.pdf when it comes out. My players, however, are poor and whiny college students who think nothing of dropping the money on frivolous items such as food, beer, and Xbox games but will make a right howling over the purchase of this fine tome. I think a players guide would be a fine way to bridge that gap, and if (gods help us all) they GM later, well, its always nice to have a spare copy of the rules. I'd personally purchase a players guide too, just to keep the core rulebook clutched tightly in my greedy claws.

No plans yet. The game is huge; I'm pretty sure the only way we'd be able to do a $20 player's version of the game would be to cut 70% of everything, so we'd have like 3 races, 4 classes, half the skills, a quarter of the feats, and it would only probably detail things up to 3rd or 5th level. At which point it's not really a player's guide as much as it is a beginner's set, which is a different product. Probably a good idea for a product, in fact, but not one we've put on any schedules yet.

Dark Archive

Vic Wertz wrote:
Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.

Has it been a week yet? I feel like a month or two has passed since your post.


Dark_Mistress wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.
Has it been a week yet? I feel like a month or two has passed since your post.

Almost, half-way, there!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Sharoth wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Masika wrote:

Hi Vic,

My players and I are dead keen for this book. Just wondering when the new subscription policy is up.

Sorry for my impatience!

Probably less than a week from now.
Or what he said.

Or a week from *now*.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Callum wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
In the early days of Paizo, we used to print suggested retail prices in other currencies, but some of our international distributors asked us to stop.
So there's no SRP for the UK? Can I only find out what this is going to cost over here by going to my ULGS when it's released and looking at the price sticker on it?

You could go now and tell them it's going to be USD $49.99, and ask them how much they expect to sell it for....

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Beastman wrote:
Out of curiosity: What's that "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Preview Edition" thing from the release schedule (http://paizo.com/paizo/about/schedule) - not that i'll buy it, 'cause I want the real thing ;-)

That's a preview copy for licensees. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. These are not the droids you're looking for. Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you.


How are you?

Dark Archive

Vic Wertz wrote:
Beastman wrote:
Out of curiosity: What's that "Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Preview Edition" thing from the release schedule (http://paizo.com/paizo/about/schedule) - not that i'll buy it, 'cause I want the real thing ;-)
That's a preview copy for licensees. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. These are not the droids you're looking for. Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you.

Set phasers on stun....


We're sending a squad up.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
We're sending a squad up.

Uh, uh, negative, negative. We have a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak... very dangerous.


Still curious about individual-purchase PDF price...


Vic Wertz wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
We're sending a squad up.
Uh, uh, negative, negative. We have a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak... very dangerous.

Who is this? What's your operating number?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

bugleyman wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
We're sending a squad up.
Uh, uh, negative, negative. We have a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak... very dangerous.
Who is this? What's your operating number?

[BLAM!]

Boring conversation anyway! Lisa! We're going to have company!

Oh.. wait. I mean, "We have a company."

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Brian E. Harris wrote:
Still curious about individual-purchase PDF price...

We are too!

I think the core rulebook PDF will probably be fairly inexpensive, but we haven't finalized that yet.


This thread had some of the best V.W. humor evah.

The Exchange

Haha, reading this as I just finished watching Fanboys. Perfect. ;-)


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This may have been asked earlier but will there be any deals that will include a pdf copy with the physical?

Scrolls up... oh... apparently there's something in the works.


Vic Wertz wrote:
Brian E. Harris wrote:
Still curious about individual-purchase PDF price...

We are too!

I think the core rulebook PDF will probably be fairly inexpensive, but we haven't finalized that yet.

$30 odd?

Scarab Sages

My guess is 39.99

Scarab Sages

Definitely looking forward to the Hardcover Book. Been playing the Beta with some friends for the past several months and have been enjoying it immensely - unlike our foray into 4E. 1 more month!

351 to 400 of 1,494 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.