Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL)

4.60/5 (based on 131 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL)

Hardcover Unavailable

Add PDF $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Enter a fantastic world of adventure!

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil. Will you cut your way through monster-filled ruins and cities rife with political intrigue to emerge as a famous hero laden with fabulous treasure, or will you fall victim to treacherous traps and fiendish monsters in a forgotten dungeon? Your fate is yours to decide with this giant Core Rulebook that provides everything a player needs to set out on a life of adventure and excitement!

This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 10 years of system development and an open playtest involving more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook includes:

  • All player and Game Master rules in a single volume
  • Complete rules for fantastic player races like elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and half-orcs
  • Exciting new options for character classes like fighters, wizards, rogues, clerics, and more
  • Streamlined and updated rules for feats and skills that increase options for your hero
  • A simple combat system with easy rules for grapples, bull rushes, and other special attacks
  • Spellcaster options for magic domains, familiars, bonded items, specialty schools, and more
  • Hundreds of revised, new, and updated spells and magical treasures
  • Quick-generation guidelines for nonplayer characters
  • Expanded rules for curses, diseases, and poisons
  • A completely overhauled experience system with options for slow, medium, and fast advancement
  • ... and much, much more!

Available Formats

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook is also available as:

Hardcover ISBN: 978-1-60125-150-3

Downloads

Looking for more? Check out the Resources and Free Downloads available for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Errata
Last Updated - 5/30/2013

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Additional Product Images


(click to enlarge)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL)

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Unavailable

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1110


See Also:

6 to 10 of 137 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 131 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

By far the best of Paizo...


Excellent book on many levels. If your going to play Pathfinder, here are all your core rules. This book makes the beginner's box look likes a child's chew toy.

'


5 Stars! Hands down...

5/5

The Pathfinder Role Playing Game is one of the best games in existence.


This is THE Book!

5/5

Firstly, when I give this book 5 stars, I don't mean it in the same way that I mean it for the others. For me, 5 stars means "Meets all of my expectations", and this book does far more than that. This book is the cornerstone of Pathfinder. This book is a foundational resource to unlocking adventures here-to imagined.

This is the book you need.


Would give 5 stars but.....

4/5

Would easily give 5 stars if my binding didnt start falling apart nearly as soon as I got it. Very upsetting. Wonderful core book otherwise.


Long long time ago

5/5

Long long time ago in a gaming galaxy far far away we all marveled at the new Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rule set. This new rule set not revolutionized the game table, but entered in a new era of gaming like we never thought to see again....

Until now.

Pathfinder is everything that was wrong or needed work with the D20 3.x rule set. It has heralded in a new revolution at the game table. RPG gaming is not the type of endeavor that sees many ground breaking events, but I have seen two in my lifetime.

The switch to Pathfinder has also revitalized my player group.

There is only one reason not to be playing Pathfinder, because your new to RPG gaming, so welcome to the new standard from which all products are measured. With this one book and a Bestiary, you can begin to forge new worlds, seek out new adventures, and boldly go where no one has explored before.


6 to 10 of 137 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 1,494 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Maghelm wrote:
That's a significant addition. Anyone have thoughts on what might be included?

Prestige Classes for sure. Spells that were not included in Beta for space reasons. Some more DM tools. And other stuff that escapes me right now.


The Red Death wrote:
Maghelm wrote:
That's a significant addition. Anyone have thoughts on what might be included?
Prestige Classes for sure. Spells that were not included in Beta for space reasons. Some more DM tools. And other stuff that escapes me right now.

Thanks, Death. I completely spaced on prestige classes.


Stegger wrote:
420 pages!!??! WOW

Now it's 560!


I totally agree this seems like the way to go. Forget 4th edition make mine Pathfinder.

Liberty's Edge

I am playing with the beta version softback now. So far it has been well received by my group and we plan to stay with Pathfinder when this hardcover is released. I do hope the cover art will be new and exciting stuff. The only other art I would like to see replaced is the racial comparison chart. Those low polygon count characters in their underwear make me think of Nintendo 64 graphics.


Vic Wertz wrote:
I believe that there will be ways that some people will qualify for a free PDF, but I don't think it's concrete yet.

Any news on how people can get the hardcopy with a free PDF?

Dark Archive

If I pre-order my copy now, do I get a free PDF?

Sovereign Court

There's been talk of a rules supplement sub. Perhaps that'll get the free pdf?

Liberty's Edge

"It's less expensive than the 3.5 core rulebooks it replaces"

My problem with this statement is that for people who already own the 3.5 core rulebooks its is an additional $49.99 to spend, as it has become apparent that the rules have changed enough that you won't be able to play in a PF RPG game using the 3.5 core books.

I see Pathfinder RPG as just a d20 fantasy system now, something to use to play in the Golarion setting and required to play in Season 1+ of the Pathfinder Society organised play campaign.

So to me the comparison would be with the likes of Conan 2nd Edition ($39.99) and FantasyCraft ($39.95).

Still it does seem PF RPG will be giving us a lot of content for the money (but that content isn't as valuable to me as it is so similar to what I already own) and is cheaper than the three D&D4e core books.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Not having either of your examples, I have to ask...

  • How plug and play are Conan and Fantasy craft to WOTC supliments? I can bring BoNS into a Pathfinder game pretty seamlessly for example, and I'm looking forward to mixing Dr. Nardi's Atlans with the Azlanti for binder goodness in my home games (especially since VoPM has teh seven deadly sins as bindable aspects)

  • Are their respective publishers going to continue to support those lines? Counting freebies, I have 19 modules sitting on my harddrive and bookshelves. That's not including Pathfinder Adventure Paths, or Pathfinder Society scenarios. And they're still coming (fairly) reliably, once a month.

  • Is there a 'Living' Conan? I just ran my first 'real' Pathfinder Society game last night (as opposed to my bi-weekly game with friends and their family) and had a blast. While I won't get to play until December at the earliest (by the time the Armory runs Frozen Fingers, I'll already have run it for the home group) the fact that I can take my rogue anywhere, and game with new people is a hoot.


  • Just can't wait to play 3.5 in a setting rivalling my favourite world which was Forgotten Realms!

    Liberty's Edge

    Matthew Morris wrote:

    Not having either of your examples, I have to ask...

  • How plug and play are Conan and Fantasy craft to WOTC supliments?
  • I don't have either of those products either, so they are theoretically for me alternatives that may compete with Pathfinder for my money (along with D&D4e).

    However, to be clear my statements above, were in relation to my perspective on the Pathfinder RPG, and so whilst I don't imagine either Conan or FantasyCraft are particularly plug & play with WOTC suppliments, I have come to the opinion that Pathfinder RPG is not compatible enough for me to bother trying to plug & play either. If I want to use WOTC supplements I will use D&D3.5.

    I recognise that yourself & others will feel differently, but then if you & others have WOTC supplements to plug & play with I imagien you also already own the 3.5 core books, so my point about PF RPG being an additional cost still stands.

    Matthew Morris wrote:
  • Are their respective publishers going to continue to support those lines?
  • I have no idea about FantasyCraft, but Conan already has absolutely tons of supplements and new stuff coming out regularly. I almost bought into the game when a mate became enthused about thr line and bought a load of stuff - however since then he has become enthused about Pathfinder and is running that instead :)

    Matthew Morris wrote:
  • Is there a 'Living' Conan?
  • No

    Matthew Morris wrote:
    I just ran my first 'real' Pathfinder Society game last night (as opposed to my bi-weekly game with friends and their family) and had a blast.

    This, along with the fact that a GM in my weekly group is and will be running Pathfinder, is the main reason I am considering buying the Pathfinder RPG. I do like living campaigns and have even bought the first PFS scenario to run.

    If I pick up Pathfinder RPG and get comfortable enough with it I may continue to be a GM in Season 1+, otherwise I may drop to just playing it, or even drop out and look elsewhere for a 3.5 living game (such as Living Arcanis).

    Although I do now own the D&D 4e PHB (and am enjoying what I read) I am not a fan of the Forgotten Realms so that living campaign is not as appealing. Mind you, if as a player I can't find enough PFS games and I really want a living campaign I may decide to bite the bullet and go LFR.

    Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

    Wolf Munroe wrote:
    Vic Wertz wrote:
    I believe that there will be ways that some people will qualify for a free PDF, but I don't think it's concrete yet.
    Any news on how people can get the hardcopy with a free PDF?

    It'll be a while—probably a few months—before we have details on that.

    Paizo Employee CEO

    Tom Green wrote:
    I am playing with the beta version softback now. So far it has been well received by my group and we plan to stay with Pathfinder when this hardcover is released. I do hope the cover art will be new and exciting stuff. The only other art I would like to see replaced is the racial comparison chart. Those low polygon count characters in their underwear make me think of Nintendo 64 graphics.

    There will be a new Wayne Reynolds cover for the RPG hardcover. The finished art hit our offices last week and will be unveiled sometime in the future. As for the racial comparison chart, that has been on the new art list for quite some time.

    -Lisa

    Dark Archive

    Lisa Stevens wrote:

    There will be a new Wayne Reynolds cover for the RPG hardcover. The finished art hit our offices last week and will be unveiled sometime in the future. As for the racial comparison chart, that has been on the new art list for quite some time.

    -Lisa

    Thank you.

    RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

    Lisa Stevens wrote:

    As for the racial comparison chart, that has been on the new art list for quite some time.

    -Lisa

    Might I recommend getting Hugo Solis aka. Butterfrog to do it?

    Liberty's Edge

    Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

    I have been using the Beta book for a while now and dearly wish it had an index. Please include a good index in the final hardcopy, for a book like that it is invaluable. I know compiling a good index for a book of that length is a very difficult and costly undertaking, but it would really enhance its usefulness.

    BTW, I hated the index in the 3.5 PHB. IMO, it was the worst part of the book.

    Liberty's Edge

    What we also need is a PF Dungeonm Master Guide. That way it makes the game unique yet also allowing those who only like 3.5. to use it also.

    Liberty's Edge

    Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber
    memorax wrote:
    What we also need is a PF Dungeonm Master Guide. That way it makes the game unique yet also allowing those who only like 3.5. to use it also.

    The Core Rulebook is intended to replace both the Players Handbook and the DMG.

    Liberty's Edge

    Thanks for the information PW. It makes sense too. Why have two seperate books that really complement each other be seperate. I could understand for a game such as Gurps. Never did understand that about D&D.

    Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

    Rimrock wrote:

    I have been using the Beta book for a while now and dearly wish it had an index. Please include a good index in the final hardcopy, for a book like that it is invaluable. I know compiling a good index for a book of that length is a very difficult and costly undertaking, but it would really enhance its usefulness.

    BTW, I hated the index in the 3.5 PHB. IMO, it was the worst part of the book.

    The finished RPG will have an index.


    Not cheap, but cheaper than upgrading to 4.0

    Paizo may want to make clear that this serves as both the PG and DMG else the many will assume that the Core book is only half of a pair.


    Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
    Ross Byers wrote:
    Lisa Stevens wrote:

    As for the racial comparison chart, that has been on the new art list for quite some time.

    -Lisa

    Might I recommend getting Hugo Solis aka. Butterfrog to do it?

    I would like to second this. Hugo's art is fantastic.

    Liberty's Edge

    Vic Wertz wrote:
    Ross Byers wrote:
    Is there any news regarding this being on the Chronicles subscription and/or free PDFs with purchase?
    It definitely will NOT be part of the Chronicles subscription. We still have a year or so to figure out the answer to the PDF question....

    oh good thing i looked for this, i was actually going to ask this :P

    because i want my big book, but the PDF is definitively quite useful, so with the Pathfinder Bestiary

    Liberty's Edge

    Jam412 wrote:
    Ross Byers wrote:
    Lisa Stevens wrote:

    As for the racial comparison chart, that has been on the new art list for quite some time.

    -Lisa

    Might I recommend getting Hugo Solis aka. Butterfrog to do it?
    I would like to second this. Hugo's art is fantastic.

    i agree on this matter

    i think people in Paizo have seen too how well he draws

    Liberty's Edge

    JZ wrote:

    Not cheap, but cheaper than upgrading to 4.0

    Unless you are just a player and don't need or want all the DM information.


    Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Pawns, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

    Who is Hugo Solis and where might I have seen his art? I tried Googling but came up with a musician and his band, not a graphic artist.

    Scarab Sages

    Davelozzi wrote:
    Who is Hugo Solis and where might I have seen his art? I tried Googling but came up with a musician and his band, not a graphic artist.

    Here's where he draws commissions and Here's his deviantART page and here's his profile here

    Liberty's Edge

    Davelozzi wrote:
    Who is Hugo Solis and where might I have seen his art? I tried Googling but came up with a musician and his band, not a graphic artist.

    one of ours: Hugo Solis and other Paizonians!

    edit: ninjaed-by Kessu!

    Scarab Sages

    Montalve wrote:


    edit: ninjaed-by Kessu!

    HA! You know, I think I'm going to keep track of the times I've ninja'd someone starting with this one.

    Also, be sure to check out the other Paizo artists while you're on DA Davelozzi. There's a lot of great talent there, though I think it's generally agreed that Hugo's the best of us.

    Liberty's Edge

    meh Kessu :P (lol not always being the first is good :P)

    there is also another thead monsters drawing a lot smaller but with interesting things

    also there is the unofficial Paizonia! Comic Strip (yeah they still haven't decided name, but i like Paizonia!


    i like pathfinder, but the differences between it and WoTC's 3.5 are so subtle that i end up disappointed when so many obviously broken WoTC 3.5 mechanics issues aren't addressed at all.. so why reprint 99% the same content under a new design? it seems like a missed opportunity to make the game better. can anyone give me a good reason to see things differently?


    560 pages .... .my leguminous teeth are chattering in anticipation!

    Liberty's Edge

    shmeck wrote:
    i like pathfinder, but the differences between it and WoTC's 3.5 are so subtle that i end up disappointed when so many obviously broken WoTC 3.5 mechanics issues aren't addressed at all.. so why reprint 99% the same content under a new design? it seems like a missed opportunity to make the game better. can anyone give me a good reason to see things differently?

    it is still not finished... and actually most of the dissilusiones are in the range of "you are changin too much 3.5 so i don't like Pathfinder"

    i agree many issues are not solved with PF (which i won't repeat here... i try to not whine in public :P) but many other are being solved

    Fighter is a better and round class
    skills in general work better and is less confusing to make high level characters or characters at all
    races and classes are certianly stronger, but many of the last classes & races brought by WotC and3rd party editorials are quite powerful, so the original ones were not atractive or were suboptimal, more people organizing their character around a tight evolution so they will beable to take one or to her prestigue class, single classes have beenmade more attractive.

    Mi main complains with 3.5 is "planned obsolescence"

    Edit: sight and i think i did whine after all

    if you are at certian level and if you don't have certain quantity or type of magic items your character in general is useless, so characters become Christmas trees walking syndromes... this is a rule that i dislike, and i think it happens for 2 reasons how monsters are created.. and 3.5 nerfing of magic, as much of the magic duration and effects are the same this issue is not being solved by the time being, we will see if it is.

    I myself i am in love with Paizo's quality and integral work, many of their changes are excellent... and for the last issue and another i have (half the classes having 2 skill points + int mod, which limits them, while cripples the sorcerer and fighter making them pretty of not a lot of use outside their areas specialization [casting spells & fighting] and i would prefer them having more opportunities to help the team and have greater circunstances to roleplay by not forcing them into not being able to do anything but their role) well in duetime i solve them with houserules... which we all do.

    anyway i only need to know if another friend will ask a physical copy to preorder this and the PF beastiary or i just preorder mine and heask for the PDF

    shmeck, i hope i did any sense


    alleynbard wrote:
    JZ wrote:

    Not cheap, but cheaper than upgrading to 4.0

    Unless you are just a player and don't need or want all the DM information.

    even players need access to at least some in the DMG, point buy systems and character creation was in the DMG, not to mention the magical items listing. the amount of info in the DMG that is pertinent to DMs only is actually quite small. nearly every player in my group has a DMG as well as PHB. only the two newest players do not


    Montalve wrote:
    if you are at certian level and if you don't have certain quantity or type of magic items your character in general is useless, so characters become Christmas trees

    this is also my main gripe with 3.5, and it is not addressed in PF. also, tracking spell durations (and math in general) becomes incredibly tedious above 9th level, especially for the DM. i also hate to whine, but the big issues don't seem to be addressed in the PF beta. i was really hoping they would be.

    Liberty's Edge

    shmeck wrote:
    Montalve wrote:
    if you are at certian level and if you don't have certain quantity or type of magic items your character in general is useless, so characters become Christmas trees
    this is also my main gripe with 3.5, and it is not addressed in PF. also, tracking spell durations (and math in general) becomes incredibly tedious above 9th level, especially for the DM. i also hate to whine, but the big issues don't seem to be addressed in the PF beta. i was really hoping they would be.

    well we still don't arrive to spells... we might have something to say about it inthe meant time, half of this i solve going with 3.0 magic, not perfect but works decently

    anyway i already preordered my copy and the bestiary, mine and another for a friend... so i am in...


    Very disappointed.

    When I first heard that Paizo decided to be the successor of the mantle of 3.5, I exclaimed in excitement.
    But on reading the beta version, I am sorely disappointed.
    It's just another unsorted/pointless gigantic set of house-rule.
    And you guys seem to miss the glaring weaknesses of 3.5 mechanisms and failed to address/correct them, just adding even more complexity to the already headbangingly complex 3.5 ruleset.

    1. 3.0/3.5 had a serious balance & fun factor issue between caster vs melee(including archer).
    While casters can cast whole lot of astounding, powerful and spectacular spells of different kinds, melee character can do nothing but dealing damage.

    Most of your new rules still focus on dealing damage(well indirectly, but consequently). Come on, they don't need more damage. It's already over the top!(heck, melee damage should be nerfed) It's diversity and functionality that they achingly need.

    To correct this, you guys have to introduce a whole new system like Tome of Battle, or new feats that breach the limit of the conventional feat system(perhaps you should dump or revamp most of the old feats).

    2. 3.0/3.5 had a skill redunduncy and unfair distribution of skills(and skill points) among classes.
    Some of redunduncy problem is resolved, but it's still there.
    Reduce the number of skills. You can.

    And the unfair distribution is untouched.
    Pathfinder fighter in the social interaction is not much better than 3.5 fighter in social interaction.

    3. Too complex mechanisms and rules.
    Trip, Grapple, Turn Undead, Feint, and ect.
    They are way to complicated and become useless, pointless or tedius way too soon.

    I wish my comment could be of help. I really wish.

    Liberty's Edge

    Bopple wrote:
    I wish my comment could be of help. I really wish.

    have you tried participating in the playtesting forums?

    somethings get adressed, somethings not

    things are seen by every people in different lights, please check the developers forums, there are a few changes that James and Jason and the rest have put for us

    but there is a point i agree with you: the Fighter should be a person, not just a damagedealer

    Liberty's Edge

    Michael Miller 36 wrote:
    alleynbard wrote:
    JZ wrote:

    Not cheap, but cheaper than upgrading to 4.0

    Unless you are just a player and don't need or want all the DM information.
    even players need access to at least some in the DMG, point buy systems and character creation was in the DMG, not to mention the magical items listing. the amount of info in the DMG that is pertinent to DMs only is actually quite small. nearly every player in my group has a DMG as well as PHB. only the two newest players do not

    That's nice for you. Since we are discussing anecdotes, let me tell you my own. My players often do not buy nor need the DMG. In the 20 years I have GMed (through 3 editions/not including OD&D), even with my current group of 12, only three players have ever purchased a DMG. If they desperately need something they borrow mine at the table. I have never restricted the purchase of the book. They simply have never found a need to buy it. It should be noted my group is rather diverse in its commitment to the game and its family/economic spectrum. Therefore, being a rather active DM, I often provide the information for them via handouts or simple repetition from the book. Everything else comes out on a "need to know" basis or isn't needed at all. I hardly think I am alone in that. I also think I am hardly alone in having a group that balks at a $50 price tag. It practically begs for my players to purchase this book on ebay instead of through Paizo or at the FLGS. If they even want to purchase it at all, since no matter what price they purchase it at, some of them will see it as wasted money.

    Don't get me wrong, I am buying the book. But this is a much harder sell for some of my players.

    Liberty's Edge

    alleynbard wrote:

    That's nice for you. Since we are discussing anecdotes, let me tell you my own. My players often do not buy nor need the DMG. In the 20 years I have GMed (through 3 editions/not including OD&D), even with my current group of 12, only three players have ever purchased a DMG. If they desperately need something they borrow mine at the table. I have never restricted the purchase of the book. They simply have never found a need to buy it. It should be noted my group is rather diverse in its commitment to the game and its family/economic spectrum. Therefore, being a rather active DM, I often provide the information for them via handouts or simple repetition from the book. Everything else comes out on a "need to know" basis or isn't needed at all. I hardly think I am alone in that. I also think I am hardly alone in having a group that balks at a $50 price tag. It practically begs for my players to purchase this book on ebay instead of through Paizo or at the FLGS. If they even want to purchase it at all, since no matter what price they purchase it at, some of them will see it as wasted money.

    Don't get me wrong, I am buying the book. But this is a much harder sell for some of my players.

    i agree Alleynbard in that Pathfinder is too big a book, i also usually provided what was needed on my gaming table, and sure not everyplayer even gets the player's handbook

    but at least for me paying 60 dlls for 2 books plus shipping for both... its lots more expensive than paying 50 + shipping for one

    also i have learned to love all encompasing rulebooks like Arcana Evolved and A Game of Thrones RPGs, with a single book i have everything i need to play

    also it would be rather complciated and expensive now turn a whole book into 2 for Paizo

    i am sure most of us understand your tables problems

    my recommendation? if all the price will fall over you, buy the main book for yourself, you have also 12 players if they don't want or need to buy such a big book ask 10 books from each of them (10 bucks they can spare) that makes 120 dlls... more than enought to get 2 extra books for your table that anyone of them could borrow, or that can be passed in and out of the game table

    economy right now is not ready for big expenditures... but if your group of players is tight i don't see the problem of this

    just for god's sake check who has the book if you move out of town! lol that is how i lost Oriental Adventures (yes we bought in group a feek books, in the end we each took one, snif mine was Oriental Adventures :P)


    [quote ]i agree Alleynbard in that Pathfinder is too big a book, i also usually provided what was needed on my gaming table, and sure not every player even gets the player's handbook

    I would tend to disagree. As a game master I find it frustrating to have to jump back and forth between two books to find certain rules. Rarely have I had any player buy their own book, they usually use mine. When a player does buy his own books they tend to move towards wanting to DM their own game as well.

    I'm sure each of our own experiences are different, but I'm quite happy to see the whole game system in one book and the monsters in another.

    I would like to add that my first impression (and continuing impression) of Pathfinder is that it's vastly more readable than the 3.5 books. As I use the system I find very minor things that I would like changed, but overall it's a much easier system to use and it's much easier to understand (even though the beta doesn't have an index). I enjoyed it enough to download the free PDF and then buy the softcover.

    As with everything in this game, the one book vs. two books thing is a balance. I'm happy with the single book concept and I'm very happy that we have a new and well supported 3.5 gaming system rather than having to move to the 4e system.

    Liberty's Edge

    Greg Brouelette wrote:

    I'm sure each of our own experiences are different, but I'm quite happy to see the whole game system in one book and the monsters in another.

    I would like to add that my first impression (and continuing impression) of Pathfinder is that it's vastly more readable than the 3.5 books. As I use the system I find very minor things that I would like changed, but overall it's a much easier system to use and it's much easier to understand (even though the beta doesn't have an index). I enjoyed it enough to download the free PDF and then buy the softcover.

    As with everything in this game, the one book vs. two books thing is a balance. I'm happy with the single book concept and I'm very happy that we have a new and well supported 3.5 gaming system rather than having to move to the 4e system.

    in this 3 points i agree

    i prefer to have everything tightly packed, lets time of search :D

    i tried to get my own pathfinder RPG Beta but it went out of stock too soon :P

    now i wait for the Final Product :D

    Liberty's Edge

    My gaming group and myself have enjoyed the 3.5 system since it came out. Sure a few things were messed up, but we fixed those with house rules and enjoyed the system. 4.0 was far too different and we didn't enjoy it. We planned on sticking with 3.5 (we have enough stuff to use for the next handful of year anyway) and the Pathfinder Game was an opportunity to improve on it. We were not looking for massive widespread changes, or that defeats the purpose. Just enough to fix old problems and make it fun learning some of the changes. Paizo have done this in our opinion. We bought, and downloaded, the BETA rules and my players and I are happy with it. There are a couple of outstanding items, but nothing serious. I am looking forward to the final printing and each of our players has committed to purchasing the book. We are also very happy with the new setting and the support material. It is a win-win for us. We tend not to get overly worked up about rules and more about having a fun gaming experience.

    So Paizo, work out them final issues and send it to the printer!

    Dark Archive

    Will the weight of the book be over 4 pounds? :-)


    Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
    Tom Green wrote:
    I do hope the cover art will be new and exciting stuff. The only other art I would like to see replaced is the racial comparison chart. Those low polygon count characters in their underwear make me think of Nintendo 64 graphics.

    I know this is something of a delayed blast response, but I like the artist who did the current race-chart. His/her stuff has a just-slightly-abstract look to it that I find expressive. And as I recall, he/she did the artwork for Bruthazmus (one of my favorite bits of Pathfinder art,) in Burnt Offerings, which I found much more bogeyman creepy (surreal, like a child's iconic imagining of a hungry, shaggy monster under the bed,) than the tiny-head bruisers in Classic Monsters Revisited.

    Liberty's Edge

    Absinth wrote:
    Will the weight of the book be over 4 pounds? :-)

    i believe it was mentioned it is above 5 pounds

    Liberty's Edge

    Drakli wrote:
    Tom Green wrote:
    I do hope the cover art will be new and exciting stuff. The only other art I would like to see replaced is the racial comparison chart. Those low polygon count characters in their underwear make me think of Nintendo 64 graphics.

    I know this is something of a delayed blast response, but I like the artist who did the current race-chart. His/her stuff has a just-slightly-abstract look to it that I find expressive. And as I recall, he/she did the artwork for Bruthazmus (one of my favorite bits of Pathfinder art,) in Burnt Offerings, which I found much more bogeyman creepy (surreal, like a child's iconic imagining of a hungry, shaggy monster under the bed,) than the tiny-head bruisers in Classic Monsters Revisited.

    i agree

    but if they are changing it... we hope its Hugo :)

    Scarab Sages

    Pathfinder Maps Subscriber

    Guess I will weigh in on the whole one book vs two book debate. I do not really have a preference but have no problem with one book. I actually do plan to buy several copies for my groups so they can use them at home.

    For my use I found with BETA that I printed it and put it in a tabbed notebook. I love this option and doubt that I will even use the hardcover myself (although it will be on my shelf and at the table of course. I also like the PDF to search for something. I get that at times things are hard to find in the BETA rules and when that happens I just bring up the PDF and do a search. Only compaint about that is I was preparing for the final encounter of Rise of the Runelords and found that the spell names were not searchable. It was a pain because I cut and pasted all the spells that the BBEG has into a separate document and made a separate notebook for him so when the encounter goes down I have everthing I need in one place and do not have to look up spells.

    I also wrote out a plan of how I would like those spells to be used so i will have strategized in advance for the climax of over a year of gaming and I hope to run this encounter well for our heroes. Right now I am convinced that we will have a near TPK but that is before the group pulls out Bigby's Interposing Wrench and throws it in the works.


    Beta hardcopy is amazing...

    Playtesting is sublime...

    Roll on the release!

    51 to 100 of 1,494 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (OGL) All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.