Pathfinder Battles Preview: Leapin' Lizards (Part 2)

Friday, August 22, 2014

Several months ago, among the earliest Lost Coast preview blogs, I revealed a few of the set's scaly denizens. This week we return from Gen Con with three more reptilian foes heading your way in November.

Here we have the weird-headed Goblin Snake, a vile creature that made its original debut way back in Pathfinder Adventure Path #1: Burnt Offerings, our very first Pathfinder product. As the Rise of the Runelords campaign that adventure kicked off takes place in Varisia's Lost Coast region, it seemed a fitting time to let this guy slither out from under the rockpile he's been hiding in over the last seven years. Goblin Snakes occupy the low end of the "heads on snakes" niche that places them as distant—if unacknowledged—cousins of the more powerful nagas. You can find their statistics on page 132 of the Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 3. The Goblin Snake is a Small, common figure.

This not-so-little guy leaked out a few weeks ago when a canny retailer snapped a photo of one of my sales presentations, but here he is in all high high-res glory. What we have here is a particularly menacing Large Green Dragon, the latest in my quest to do all of the major dragons at all of the major size categories. We're a bit behind with Greens, but this guy is a good start and a fitting progeny for the Gargantuan Green Dragon case incentive for the Legends of Golarion set. The Large Green Dragon is a rare, Large figure.

Metallic dragons seldom get the love of their chromatic brethren when it comes to miniatures (prepainted or otherwise), something we'd like to address with Pathfinder Battles. Here we have a striking Large Bronze Dragon to lead the charge for goodness. The Large Bronze Dragon is a Large, rare figure.

Feiya Update!

We had a series of very productive meetings with our partners at WizKids last weekend at Gen Con, and I'm pleased to report the final details of the replacement figures for the insufficient Feiya, Iconic Witch figure from the Reign of Winter set.

As I mentioned in previous Friday blogs, WizKids will replace badly painted Feiyas with better versions of the same sculpt through their normal figure redemption service at WizKids.com. Folks who want to swap out their figures one-for-one are encouraged to use that system. That said, sending your figures in to WizKids involves the time, effort, and expense of putting something in the mail, and WizKids wanted to put forth some extra effort to make things a bit easier for loyal supporters of the Pathfinder Battles line.

I'm pleased to report that for the next set, Lost Coast, every case of figures will include one "super pack" among the rest. In addition to the four standard figures in that pack, the pack will ALSO include a FREE copy of the revised Feiya figure.

IN ADDITION, that super-booster will also include a previously unannounced improved repaint of the much-maligned King Irovetti figure from Legends of Golarion, the figure that had, prior to Feiya, been the most disappointing slide from paint master to production figure. WizKids' figure replacement service will also handle requests for improved versions of that figure. I'll let everyone know in this space when the replacement figures are ready—they're at the factory now, so it's safe to assume they will be closer to the November release of Lost Coast set.

Both of these figures will be identical to their previous versions, albeit with vastly improved paint jobs. The base text and sculpts will be exactly the same.

And that's all I've got for this week. Stay tuned for more cool reveals next Friday!

Erik Mona
Publisher

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Miniatures Pathfinder Battles
1 to 50 of 68 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I never connected Goblin Snakes with Nagas before, don't know why.

The others are nice minis, but that large green is fantastic!

And the replacement program is mostly reasonable. I plan to get a case of Lost Coast anyway, so I will be okay. I just hope I won't get soaked on shipping a Feiya back and forth across the border.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Love the replacement super booster. I'm a little saturated on dragons because of the D&D set that just came out, but I'm still all about the matching sets with one of each size. The Lost Coast set is one of the best so far!

Grand Lodge

Thank you,I've had problems getting replacements in the past because people keep saying "they aren't doing replacements for that set yet" and when I find out they are available I am already outside their replacement window from when I purchased the minies. I still have a knight of Ozrem that came with only one arm.

This "replacement" process is much better. However, I realize this won't be the normal replacement procedure.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Erik, I know you're keen to eventually get most dragons done at most sizes. However, there is an upcoming D&D set with dragons galore. I wouldn't expect that to alter your long term goal, but will you reduce the incidence of dragon minis in the next couple of sets until the D&D one has come and gone?

The freiya solution is great for us subscribers. Thanks to you and Wizkids for sorting that out.

Shadow Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Absolutely brilliant preview. I really missed it last week but this makes up for that.

Firstly let me say well done on the Feiya AND Irovetti solution. This shows a real dedication to the line and exceeds my expectations on the issue.

The minis. I can not believe we get a goblinsnake, my goblin collection nears completion and I thank you heartily.

I saw the green in the photo you mentioned but its nice to see her in the preview and I didn't realise she was large either. This looks very nice and ties in well with the gargantuan incentive from the previous set.

I love that bronze, at first I was taken aback a little, it looks so different to the other versions of a bronze dragon I'm used to, however I've sat here and looked and I think this may be my preferred look.

This preview, and the Feiya announcement have cemented my need to sub two cases for this one, I just hope the techies can sort it out so I can do that. I have great hopes this will be the set that rests the benchmark.

Now a quick question arising from Gen Con. I saw some photos on another site of a goblin pyro promo from gencon. I thought we were looking at a goblin rider or hell wisp? What changed? Also when do promos usually hit this site for us in the far away places?

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steve Geddes wrote:

Erik, I know you're keen to eventually get most dragons done at most sizes. However, there is an upcoming D&D set with dragons galore. I wouldn't expect that to alter your long term goal, but will you reduce the incidence of dragon minis in the next couple of sets until the D&D one has come and gone?

Yeah, probably.

I want to get a Gargantuan Red out there ASAP because I used to be a DDM collector too, and even though I have an eye on the business I'm always afraid things will end before I complete certain sets of things. I REALLY want a Gargantuan Red Dragon in Pathfinder Battles before we're done.

But yeah, I'll probably tone down the dragons somewhat. The D&D ones are among the best-looking pieces in those sets, so I don't need to flood the market with dragons. Many collectors already have most of them, anyway, and there's plenty of other cool things to do.

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Cat-thulhu wrote:


Now a quick question arising from Gen Con. I saw some photos on another site of a goblin pyro promo from gencon. I thought we were looking at a goblin rider or hell wisp? What changed? Also when do promos usually hit this site for us in the far away places?

I have a sizable pile of different promo repaints, some of which we haven't ever told anyone about. They'll be a surprise, when they show up.

So far this convention season has gone like this:

ORIGINS: Hellfire Wisp (Will-o-Wisp Repaint)
PAIZO CON: Bloodbriar Goblin Raider (Goblin on Goblin Dog repaint, slightly different from Emerald Spire version)
GEN CON: Goblin Raider (repaint of Goblin Pyro)
GEN CON PFS SPECIAL: Horned Demon (red-skinned repaint of purple WotR demon)

ALL of these figures exist in huge quantities in the Paizo warehouse (I think we gave away fewer than 500 copies of the Origins figure). They will all, eventually, appear on the Paizo.com store, probably after the convention season in a few weeks.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Yeah I am actually rather excited that there's another line of pre painted minis besides Paizo. I love Paizo dearly and that's why I'm choosing to give them my money rather than give it to Wizards, but I'll probably cherry pick singles out of their sets. Namely those Metallic Dragons! That Gargantuan Brass Dragon! I have the classic Colossal Red, but what I wouldn't give for a Colossal Gold. I would love to have the Great Wyrm size of every dragon.


Erik Mona wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:

Erik, I know you're keen to eventually get most dragons done at most sizes. However, there is an upcoming D&D set with dragons galore. I wouldn't expect that to alter your long term goal, but will you reduce the incidence of dragon minis in the next couple of sets until the D&D one has come and gone?

Yeah, probably.

I want to get a Gargantuan Red out there ASAP because I used to be a DDM collector too, and even though I have an eye on the business I'm always afraid things will end before I complete certain sets of things. I REALLY want a Gargantuan Red Dragon in Pathfinder Battles before we're done.

But yeah, I'll probably tone down the dragons somewhat. The D&D ones are among the best-looking pieces in those sets, so I don't need to flood the market with dragons. Many collectors already have most of them, anyway, and there's plenty of other cool things to do.

Before the dragon craze ends I would love to see a Pathfinder Silver Dragon. I have been DYING to see one ever since I saw their bestiary art.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:

Erik, I know you're keen to eventually get most dragons done at most sizes. However, there is an upcoming D&D set with dragons galore. I wouldn't expect that to alter your long term goal, but will you reduce the incidence of dragon minis in the next couple of sets until the D&D one has come and gone?

Yeah, probably.

I want to get a Gargantuan Red out there ASAP because I used to be a DDM collector too, and even though I have an eye on the business I'm always afraid things will end before I complete certain sets of things. I REALLY want a Gargantuan Red Dragon in Pathfinder Battles before we're done.

But yeah, I'll probably tone down the dragons somewhat. The D&D ones are among the best-looking pieces in those sets, so I don't need to flood the market with dragons. Many collectors already have most of them, anyway, and there's plenty of other cool things to do.

The D&D dragons are all 'Large' minis except the Gargantuan Brass dragon. I wouldn't mind seeing some huge, gargantuan or even colossal dragons of the metallic type:)


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Erik Mona wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:

Erik, I know you're keen to eventually get most dragons done at most sizes. However, there is an upcoming D&D set with dragons galore. I wouldn't expect that to alter your long term goal, but will you reduce the incidence of dragon minis in the next couple of sets until the D&D one has come and gone?

Yeah, probably.

I want to get a Gargantuan Red out there ASAP because I used to be a DDM collector too, and even though I have an eye on the business I'm always afraid things will end before I complete certain sets of things. I REALLY want a Gargantuan Red Dragon in Pathfinder Battles before we're done.

But yeah, I'll probably tone down the dragons somewhat. The D&D ones are among the best-looking pieces in those sets, so I don't need to flood the market with dragons. Many collectors already have most of them, anyway, and there's plenty of other cool things to do.

Cheers.

I don't have much to say other than that I'm really glad you're at the helm of this endeavour. I've appreciated your stewardship/decision making as the line develops. Thanks.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

The Feiya news is great to hear. Guess I need to keep my case subscription. =)

I did want to speak up and say please don't do any more farm animals. I play Pathfinder not farmsvile. I have no use for minis that won't get used for combat. If I ever need such farm animals I can pick up dozens at a toy store for a buck.

I guess other people want them for some reason but seeing a pig in this set really made me think hard about keeping my subscription.


ShadowChemosh wrote:

The Feiya news is great to hear. Guess I need to keep my case subscription. =)

I did want to speak up and say please don't do any more farm animals. I play Pathfinder not farmsvile. I have no use for minis that won't get used for combat. If I ever need such farm animals I can pick up dozens at a toy store for a buck.

I guess other people want them for some reason but seeing a pig in this set really made me think hard about keeping my subscription.

No offense, but I disagree. For one thing, a lot of these animals see use as familiars, so for that reason alone there's a place for them, even in combat. But if nothing else, their sales should be an indication of their popularity, and from what I have seen, there's substantial demand out there for the little critters. You're totally entitled to your preferences, though! And nothing that Erik (or anyone making selection calls) might do is going to please everybody. (Except for a Froghemoth, Erik. Everybody wants a froghemoth. Even my mom would want a froghemoth, if she knew what a froghemoth is.)

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

This particular pig is sort of a company mascot, having starred in both of the We Be Goblins free adventures we've released. When we did the We Be Goblins builder series set Squealy Nord was the most requested figure. He's something of a special case. There won't be farm animals in the next two sets.

Unless you count horses.

Or equipment-laden mules.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Ive not much interest in the recent spate of animals either. However mules and horses? Brilliant. I've wanted them for a long time.


At least finish off the chromatics please. I have the gargantuan DDM minis, but I have grown to love the Pathfinder designs. One medium dragon per set won't hurt, pretty sure we only need blue and green mediums. Might as well do a blue dragon evolution since we don't have any blues under gargantuan. I have no desire to purchase the DDM dragons.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

will Ivoretti, new painting, be available in the store?
And can be purchased specifically as "improved quality" version?

I can't be arsed to fill out forms and spend money on shipment when I can just have the thing delivered with another order.

Grand Lodge

Erik, you guys are great. I am back on for the Pathfinder Battles subscription.

The solution for both Feiya and King Irovetti is nothing short of incredible. I am very impressed by the quality of Customer Service. And kudos to Wizkids too for stepping up to the plate on this.

Plus this Lost Coast set is shaping up nicely. The head on the Goblin Snake looks great. It will make for a memorable low level encounter.

I like that the Green Dragon is walking upright. That makes it more unique from other Large Greens out there.

The Large Bronze is the prize though. That is a really good looking sculpt. Is it as sweet in hand? It would make a nice sea monster proxy too.

Good Stuff!


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I also just jumped back on the PFB Subscription.

However, the price seems a bit off. Isn't it supposed to be 30% off Paizo's price for the case, and 75% off the premium figure?

Paizo's price for the case is $399.99, but I am getting charged 358.18. It should be around $280.

And from what I recall, the premium figures are $40, correct? But I am getting charged $11.88. Shouldn't it be $10? Granted, it's only around $2 with this, but would still like to get the correct price.

Or do the items in the sidecart also reflect shipping charges? Although I hope not, as I would like to think that I wouldn't be charged almost $80 for shipping (with the case). I am in the US.

Does anyone else's subscription reflect these prices?

Edit: Just saw this on my subscription page:

"Example subscription shipments are currently displaying inaccurate estimates.
We apologize for the inconvenience."


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Those are the non-subscriber prices. I did that last time, but the actually price when it charges is accurate. It confused me too. :)


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Honestly, it's not even the non-subscriber price, as the prices would still be a lot cheaper than Paizo's prices.

But will keep a look out when I get the email when it ships and see if Paizo charges the right amount.

Thanks Lorian.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

A gargantuan red? Oh, heck yes. Especially one that matches the evolutions set. Do it soon, because I'm sure WotC is thinking about making the same thing. I'd get both, as they each have their own unique look. But I'm sure that not everyone feels that way. And please don't abandon dragons. The evolution sets are fantastic, I hope we at least get all the traditional chromatics this way. And don't forget the pseudodragon and fairy dragons. The way you've handled stirges and birds makes me giddy over the prospect of either of these being made in a similar fashion.

I also want to cast my vote in favor of the occasional barnyard animal. They do seem to be popular, because I still don't have as many goats as I would like. But the prospect of pack mules and horses is even more exciting. I'll even hold out hope for a cart, wagon or carriage.

The Lost Coast set has an unusually high number of figures that I want. I'm happy if a set is 50% must haves, but this one is at 88% so far which is hands above any other set I've seen, be it Pathfinder or D&D. I have to think that is mostly due to you, Erik. So keep doing whatever you are doing and I'm still hoping we get to that 17th set together!


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

There won't be farm animals in the next two sets.

Unless you count horses.

Or equipment-laden mules.

OMG, HAPPY DANCE!!!! Unless you buy metal and paint, these have always been lacking in just about every miniature line... ever.

So glad to hear this! Prays for "common" larges to accommodate extra horses. Surely you can find a way to cram 2 larges in a few boxes :D.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

This may be a question better suited for WizKids, but I am curious to see how they accommodate the one 'super' booster pack in the case. Right now, the box used for a case is packed tightly (which I appreciate), so it's going to be interesting how they make room/redesign the case box for the larger, super booster.

And since there will be a Feiya AND a King Irovetti in this super booster (along with the standard minis in a booster), I can't see how it won't be larger.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm very glad the large dragons will be rares. The multiples of metallic larges we just received in the Icons set, were very much unwelcome and will be the first time we've sold or given away minis from a case. You guys have been doing a great job with the rarities in your recent sets. Also, I greatly appreciate these weekly preview posts, and Paizo responding to feedback on them. Wotc has a lot left to learn from you guys; heck, pretty much every other RPG company does.

Also very happy to hear how the Feiya redos are being handled. Wizkids is very behind the bar in how they handle most of their replacements compared to other miniature companies; Privateer press sent replacement parts on multiple occasions without us sending them the defective parts, and Reaper has given us a nice coupon to buy a replacement of our choice on their store. Wizkids wants me to pay shipping to send the old figure, and then wont even guarantee replaceing it with the same model.....

Now, if you'd announce some huge elemental sets, that would really make my week... We use maybe one dragon per 2+ year campaign, but see multiple huge elemental encounters....and there's always that one player who regularly transforms into one.....


Erik Mona wrote:
Cat-thulhu wrote:


Now a quick question arising from Gen Con. I saw some photos on another site of a goblin pyro promo from gencon. I thought we were looking at a goblin rider or hell wisp? What changed? Also when do promos usually hit this site for us in the far away places?

I have a sizable pile of different promo repaints, some of which we haven't ever told anyone about. They'll be a surprise, when they show up.

So far this convention season has gone like this:

ORIGINS: Hellfire Wisp (Will-o-Wisp Repaint)
PAIZO CON: Bloodbriar Goblin Raider (Goblin on Goblin Dog repaint, slightly different from Emerald Spire version)
GEN CON: Goblin Raider (repaint of Goblin Pyro)
GEN CON PFS SPECIAL: Horned Demon (red-skinned repaint of purple WotR demon)

ALL of these figures exist in huge quantities in the Paizo warehouse (I think we gave away fewer than 500 copies of the Origins figure). They will all, eventually, appear on the Paizo.com store, probably after the convention season in a few weeks.

As soon as these are up I'll be grabbing them (like Pokemon, I gotta catch them all). Anything we'll have to purchaser to get one (like the Goblins Comic and Rita's Bridesmaid) and any restrictions on number purchased (I'm specifically thinking of the goblin raider and Bloodbriar Goblin on this.)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Another great week of reveals for the Lost Coast line!

Every time I leaf through my Bestiary books, I always stop and consider a Goblin Snake. Sometimes he gets some action, other times not so much. But each time I see him, I think to myself "I'd love a miniature of this guy." I'm thrilled to be getting one in this set, especially since he's a great lead-in to the Naga type.

The gargantuan green dragon from a few sets back is one of my favorite miniatures ever. He's as perfect as gargantuan dragons go for me, with regards to color, shading, etc. I know some feedback indicated disappointment that he was so low to the ground, but that makes sense to me. After all, green dragons are found most often in the forest, I believe. It makes little sense for a dragon to constantly be seen above the trees if he's always standing up.

Anyways, this large green dragon looks great! He looks like his larger brethren, and he, too, is on the ground. There is not much more to say, as I'm glad he's a large rare.

I love this Bronze dragon, and I love that he's another large rare. I also love that he's grounded, although I know some folks like their dragons to be airborne.

The Feiya replacement in the Lost Coast line sounds spectacular. You've already hit this Battles line out of the park, so I'll be happy to go that route. And like others have mentioned, I'm officially going to be purchasing two cases. There are just too many of the Common/Uncommon miniatures of which I really want more than a handful. And these Rare are great enough that it makes more sense for me to grab two cases than to cherry-pick for the extra pieces.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this line, from the selection process to quality meetings with Wizkids for continued improvement to responding weekly on this forum.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook Subscriber

I have to say that while the dragons in Tyranny do look very good, I dislike that they are on flight stands. In my experience those never work out for larger minis and you end up with a stick on a base with a dragon laying off to the side. That's the big reason why I'm a fan of the Pathfinder dragons. Now if we could just get an evolution of dragons set for each type of dragon and a gargantuan to go along with it I would be a very happy man.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Erik,

You don't plan on doing Super-Rare releases in future cases, like Wizards/Wizkids has done with their eight invisible miniatures, do you?

If you aren't aware, each brick of of the D&D Icons: Tyranny of Dragons line contains one (of a total of eight) different invisible miniatures. This means that a person needs to buy at least two cases of that line for even a chance to receive all eight super-rare miniatures. Otherwise, it's off to pay big prices on the singles market.

Speaking from experience, chase pieces such as these can actually be fun for a collector to track down. But I'd think the majority of subscribers that buy a case from Paizo purchase one with the goal of someday using as many pieces from it on the table in a campaign.

A buddy of mine bought a case of the new D&D line, and he's livid that he only received four (of the eight possible) invisible miniatures. Because they are actually decent looking pieces, he might one day look to finish off the series. In the meantime, he says "This is ridiculous. At a minimum, this forces a person to buy two cases for even a chance at all eight. Likely it would take more, based on the collation of the invisibles. It's even more foolish because these are invisible pieces of the most-oft requested type of invisible piece, the PC. Instead of packaging these in with the regular set as PART of that regular set, they've chosen to try and squeeze more money out of the consumer, knowing that many will look to track down all eight, to help represent their characters when invisible."

He has a point, and I feel the same way. I ordered a case of these from another retailer, and should be receiving it next week. I feel like I'm going to be automatically disappointed, because it means I've now got to try and track down and pay the $12.00-25.00 per miniature price just so I can put forth a set of fun invisible miniatures on the table when the situation calls for it. This reeks of the old-school style greediness that I first associated Wizards with back in the day.

Naturally this has me thinking about Paizo, and how, as to the best of my knowledge, you've never tried this in the Battles line. The Feiya and King make sense, as those are replacements from previous sets, and due to quality reasons. And from what it sounds like, each case should have one of each, so the average buyer won't even be missing out on these, either.

I buy my miniatures from this company because of quality of selection and quality of miniature. And even when things don't turn out 100% perfect--see: Feiya, the King--you seem to be willing to try and do something about it to please the customer base. Add to that the fact that you bother to come on here and not just listen, but actively respond to feedback, and it's obvious that Paizo cares about their customers.

So let me just say that I hope you continue to look out for what is best for the customers, even as Wizards continues this foolishness of trying to strong-arm their customers into buying more cases than necessary solely to track down chase pieces.


Erik Mona wrote:
I want to get a Gargantuan Red out there ASAP because I used to be a DDM collector too, and even though I have an eye on the business I'm always afraid things will end before I complete certain sets of things. I REALLY want a Gargantuan Red Dragon in Pathfinder Battles before we're done.

This is something I've been waiting to hear. Now that I hear it, I'm hoping we will see it within the next set or 2.

Also, that large green is way awesome. However, I don't see why they would be offered to us in a case if the evolution sets contain them, so does this mean we wont be getting the evolution sets anymore? That really sucks because it seemed like the only way we were going to get huge dragons.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

For those that haven't seen the new Tyranny of Dragons line of Dragons in-hand yet, Erik is right that they are some of the best looking pieces from that set. They are also slightly larger than the Pathfinder dragon miniatures. Because they come separate from their stick and base in the package, it allows for the actual miniature to be slightly bigger.

The majority of these dragons only have simple base colors with what looks like little (if any) shading. As such, while the sculpts are really nice and the initial look is appealing, they don't show off the same level of detail that the Paizo dragons have. I'm a fan of both dragon types, but I thought I'd make people aware that the new Wizards dragons do look slightly different in hand. (The red dragon from Wizards is really the only dragon in that which appears to have a great level of shading).

I think it makes sense for Paizo/Erik to cut back on the dragons, but I wouldn't eliminate them completely. I'd definitely take the suggestions others have put forth on here and finish up the chromatic line. And a red gargantuan dragon sounds amazing, so I'm glad you're looking to fit that in to a future set.

In addition, all the new dragons from Wizards are in flying poses, while most of Paizo's dragons are grounded. For those who like using more than a couple dragons in their encounters, this makes for a wonderful mix. Though Wizards and Pathfinder dragons are different in appearance, they aren't so distinctly different where I'd say they can't be used together. Having a couple airborne dragons and grounded dragons available really makes for a unique and exciting encounter.

The mix of dragons for an encounter is one more reason why I think it makes sense for Erik and company not to completely stop doing dragons. Dropping a dragon or two in every set makes sense, as it will be a great way to finish up chromatic dragons (especially medium size) and to continue to give DM's a chance to put both airborne and grounded dragons (of the same color) on the table.

Outside of finishing up the chromatic line and, maybe, the metallic line, I'd love to see the focus go towards other creatures besides dragons. Even if it means ignoring the the lines of dragons from the later bestiaries. For example, I'd much rather see lines like the Naga line or Hag line find full representation over the Primal or Imperial lines.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

This particular pig is sort of a company mascot, having starred in both of the We Be Goblins free adventures we've released. When we did the We Be Goblins builder series set Squealy Nord was the most requested figure. He's something of a special case. There won't be farm animals in the next two sets.

Unless you count horses.

Or equipment-laden mules.

Thanks! I just wanted to put out my preference is all. If they sell well then great. I just never had a need for a pig or sheep ever! Now a war pig with armor and fiendish tusks then YES PLEASE! Also my players keep making fun of me about having paid this much money and having gotten 5 sheep. I think I will need to hide the pig when it comes... =)

And don't get me wrong the flying hawks and birds from RoW where great and finding use. Druids turn into birds and I can easily use them for other flying monsters. I guess in my next undead campaign I can have "zombie sheep & pigs" show up. ;)

Cleanthes wrote:
No offense, but I disagree. For one thing, a lot of these animals see use as familiars, so for that reason alone there's a place for them, even in combat. But if nothing else, their sales should be an indication of their popularity, and from what I have seen, there's substantial demand out there for the little critters. You're totally entitled to your preferences, though! And nothing that Erik (or anyone making selection calls) might do is going to please everybody. (Except for a Froghemoth, Erik. Everybody wants a froghemoth. Even my mom would want a froghemoth, if she knew what a froghemoth is.)

No offense taken. In regards to the Froghemoth OMG yes! I have had several times where a Froghemoth would have been great.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Robert Jordan wrote:
I have the classic Colossal Red, but what I wouldn't give for a Colossal Gold. I would love to have the Great Wyrm size of every dragon.

Yeah, same here. I know the sales for the Colossals wouldn't be as high as they are more expensive, but the line has been out now for almost 3 years and I would like to finally see some colossal-sized minis.

I know WizKids makes them for their Hero-Clix line. What was it that came out at GenCon? Zombie Galacticus? I don't see why we can't start seeing colossals for the PFB line. I'm not looking for a premium one coming out every set, like the Gargantuans. But one, maybe two, in a year would be nice.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
jimibones83 wrote:
Erik Mona wrote:
I want to get a Gargantuan Red out there ASAP because I used to be a DDM collector too, and even though I have an eye on the business I'm always afraid things will end before I complete certain sets of things. I REALLY want a Gargantuan Red Dragon in Pathfinder Battles before we're done.

This is something I've been waiting to hear. Now that I hear it, I'm hoping we will see it within the next set or 2.

That large green is way awesome. However, I don't see why they would be offered to us in a case if the evolution sets contain them, so does this mean we wont be getting the evolution sets anymore? That really sucks because it seemed like the only way we were going to get huge dragons.

I think he said we should consider the Evolutions line on hold for now. This would appear to back up that statement.

Having said that, it makes plenty of sense to do a Dragon Huge pack. A two-pack of the Blue and Green dragon might sell well. That way we he can cover the chromatic Huge sizes while finishing up the Medium and Large in the Battles lines. If the two-pack of Green and Blue dragons sold well enough, he could even consider doing a two-pack for the Metallic line. This would allow him to continue the metallic dragon line over an extended period of time while still being able to complete the Huge-sized sets.

Of course, this is all under the assumption that we see the four main elementals in Huge-sized miniatures first.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Erik,

I cast the spell Speak With Plants on myself this morning, and the Basidirond in my garden asked me to pass along a message to you. They beg you not to forget their type (Plant) in future lines.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Hobbun wrote:
Robert Jordan wrote:
I have the classic Colossal Red, but what I wouldn't give for a Colossal Gold. I would love to have the Great Wyrm size of every dragon.

Yeah, same here. I know the sales for the Colossals wouldn't be as high as they are more expensive, but the line has been out now for almost 3 years and I would like to finally see some colossal-sized minis.

I know WizKids makes them for their Hero-Clix line. What was it that came out at GenCon? Zombie Galacticus? I don't see why we can't start seeing colossals for the PFB line. I'm not looking for a premium one coming out every set, like the Gargantuans. But one, maybe two, in a year would be nice.

I'm in the camp of Colossals, too. I do understand how it might seem a foreboding thing for a company to tackle, as they would be much more expensive.

Here is my idea. I'm curious as to whether you think there would be enough interest for something like this to happen.

Paizo does one Colossal-sized miniature per year. They can either choose which creature to do themselves or from a poll conducted on the website.

--Once they have selected the creature to be made, they open up registration for the Colossal subscription service.

--The subscription costs $80-100.00. (I'm not sure how much a Colossal-sized miniature costs to make while still allowing the company to make a solid profit).

--This is a yearly subscription, but otherwise functions as all subscriptions do on this site.

--This is a Paizo dot com "exclusive", meaning that the only way to get one is through a subscription on this site.

--Singles would only be available as a first come, first serve. (In the event of any canceled subscriptions).

--Possibilities could include any of the Colossal miniatures, but most likely would stick with the "basics" that I see everyone lusting for, such as: Tarrasque, Chromatic and Metallic dragons, etc.

The idea here is to finally get some coveted miniatures out onto the market, without going overboard. Because these are obviously much more expensive than the average miniature, there won't be as big of a market for them. And yet, at one per year, it allows individuals that do want one enough time to save up and buy one. After all, these would likely appeal to collectors as much as to DM's--perhaps even more.

While I can see the wisdom in not going bananas when it comes to making too many different types of Colossal-sized miniatures, one per year would allow the company to adequately supply the demand without saturation.

I've been playing for nearly twenty years now, but I've only been collecting and using miniatures for the last couple. That said, one of the most popular refrains I've heard over the years is "I wish they'd make a Tarrasque miniature." That's followed up closely with the desire for more Colossal Dragons, especially the Gold Colossal Dragon. The Kraken is also highly coveted, although that is a Gargantuan monster, so there is still hope that Erik can fit it in to one of these sets someday.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I think my friends would literally wet themselves if I plopped down a Colossal Tarrasque on the table. Even if they weren't fighting it.

Oh the Dream!!! A Colossal Red over my left shoulder, a Colossal Gold over my right shoulder and there in front of my GM Screen... The Tarrasque in all his terrifying splendor! No my PCs don't fret you aren't fighting the Tarrasque.... you're fighting him and his 2 BEST FRIENDS!!! MUHUWAHAHAHAHA

Dark Archive

Can't wait for those con pieces!


I actually mentioned an annual colossal a while back, perhaps as an anniversary promo or something, but I don't think Erik ever offered any input


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Can this set just come out already?

I want too much from it already


Erik Mona wrote:

There won't be farm animals in the next two sets.

Unless you count horses.

Or equipment-laden mules.

Oh I hope this is not a tease. I would love to see an equipment-laden mule figure.

As for the Preview, the Goblin Snake is an unexpected fun figure. I am glad it made it into the set. I also have to say I really love the pose on the Green Dragon. Nice figure.


That large bronze dragon looks awesome. I'm usually not a huge fan of the chromatic dragons because they simply are not the enemy. However, this dragon is simply amazing and I am very excited to get one. I think all 3 are great. As to dragons being released in soon to be released sets I'd prefer not, but I'm OK if they were. In general I have way to many dragon minis. If you're going to make dragon minis in soon to be released sets make them of ones that have not been done prior. This would deliver interest! Also make them so cool, like the bronze dragon that people can't resist! Once again that dragon is freakin' awesome and I'm not a dragon mini fan of any type!


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
arbados wrote:
I'm usually not a huge fan of the chromatic dragons because they simply are not the enemy.

they should get some good use on the player side for Form of the Dragon.

For the spell they might actually get more total gaming time than chromatic ones as an XP encounter.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

Since super rares were mentioned, I'll echo the sentiment and say, please don't go that route. The super rares coupled with the multiples of metallics (4 copper, 3 bronze), and their lately revealed case incentive of an ancient brass pretty much guaranteed we wont buy another case of wotc minis, unless they make a big point of changing their tune ahead of time. My wife and I were both incensed at super rares being these simple, useful at the table and cheap to produce figures.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Super Rares, and things like that, are what drove me away from Wizard of the coast. Between magic and minis pulling that sort of thing, that's the quickest way to run me off as a customer :/


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
asuranshadow wrote:
Since super rares were mentioned, I'll echo the sentiment and say, please don't go that route. The super rares coupled with the multiples of metallics (4 copper, 3 bronze), and their lately revealed case incentive of an ancient brass pretty much guaranteed we wont buy another case of wotc minis, unless they make a big point of changing their tune ahead of time. My wife and I were both incensed at super rares being these simple, useful at the table and cheap to produce figures.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one that was upset with it.

Your last sentence is what really makes me burn. It's not like we're talking about characters from some rare source material that only hardcore fans of the company would desire. We're talking about invisible miniatures--something I've seen requested over the last couple years nearly as often as things like Huge elementals--because, as you have pointed out, they are very useful at the gaming table.

In my opinion, this is one of the major differences between the companies. Where Wizards is content to take frequently requested item and make them part of a "chase" set, Paizo instead creates an entirely separate product release (forthcoming high-quality Iconics) that everyone can easily get their hands on, if they so choose.


I agree Pigraven. I'm much happier with Paizo than I was with WoTC. I think the only thing I miss about WoTC was the hotline number in the front of the book that you could call with rules questions. I loved that.


There is only one company right now making prepainted colossals, Dungeon Crawler. The sustainable rate for them looks to be about one every 1.5 to 2 years. That being said they're kind of small and everything would probably go more smoothly/faster for a larger company.

Lantern Lodge

Erik Mona wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:

Erik, I know you're keen to eventually get most dragons done at most sizes. However, there is an upcoming D&D set with dragons galore. I wouldn't expect that to alter your long term goal, but will you reduce the incidence of dragon minis in the next couple of sets until the D&D one has come and gone?

Yeah, probably.

I want to get a Gargantuan Red out there ASAP because I used to be a DDM collector too, and even though I have an eye on the business I'm always afraid things will end before I complete certain sets of things. I REALLY want a Gargantuan Red Dragon in Pathfinder Battles before we're done.

But yeah, I'll probably tone down the dragons somewhat. The D&D ones are among the best-looking pieces in those sets, so I don't need to flood the market with dragons. Many collectors already have most of them, anyway, and there's plenty of other cool things to do.

Just wondering if there are any plans to release the Imperial, Outer or Primal dragons in the future?

Dark Archive

Alex Smith 908 wrote:
There is only one company right now making prepainted colossals, Dungeon Crawler. The sustainable rate for them looks to be about one every 1.5 to 2 years. That being said they're kind of small and everything would probably go more smoothly/faster for a larger company.

Could you list the homepage of the company or a link to their gallery?

Cause i can´t find them.
Thanks Alex.

1 to 50 of 68 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Miniatures / Paizo Blog: Pathfinder Battles Preview: Leapin' Lizards (Part 2) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.