Saga of a New Land

Game Master vayelan

A Kingmaker campaign of politics, intrigue, and war.

Maps:
Greenbelt and Barony Map
Stolen Lands Map
The Abandoned Fort

Labyrinth Exploration Map
Encounter Map: Watery Chasm

Resources:
Party Loot and NPCs
Kingdom Tracker Spreadsheet

Kingdom Building Rules
Kingdom Turn Sequence
Buildings


751 to 800 of 922 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

Syretia shifts about uncomfortably at the mention of a blood offering, taking a step back to place herself further behind her companions.


"Yes, it is quite strange," Nanya replies to Brandt, sounding mildly distressed. She rises from her knees before the altar and walks to the small brass cage and deftly withdraws one of the tiny brown mice from within.

"For my whole life, I have handled and tamed snakes without even a single bite. After all, it was part of the old faith I followed, before fate brought me to the eye of Prathos. Now the little darlings seem loathe to have anything to do with me."

She lifts aside the cloak draped over the sleeping pallet, revealing another corn snake lazing beneath. As though to emphasize the point, when she offers the writhing mouse to the snake, it sways with an almost uncertainty - as though it wants the food but distrusts the hand that carries it.

Meanwhile, her distraction by the conversation and snake feeding leaves Nanya oblivious to Mr. Pink's presence.

Bydar:
Nanya is not lying, nor is she trying to draw you into some manner of trap. Her friendliness is genuine, and you get the feeling she has been quite lonely and is very relieved to have some company for a change.

Nevertheless, there is something unusual about her manner. Whatever it is, you suspect it has to do with whatever caused her to abandon her old religion and, seemingly abruptly and recently, embrace such a bizarre new faith.

Just to let you know, with his higher Perception check, Christian has noticed Nanya's old holy symbol, discarded among some rubble. Assuming he retrieves or calls attention to it, it will be the last clue you need (courtesy of your Religion check) to identify her original faith. While your Knowledge check was quite good, identifying one of the thousand-some gods from distant Vudra is a challenging task for someone from Avistan who isn't a specialized sage.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian keeps his eyes on the women as he walks directly towards the item he saw in the dirt.

Picking it up and looking at it, he turns and shows it to the party and the women.
You took great care to clean up this room but swept this up along with the dirt. It is a shame...this appears to be valuable...in more ways than one.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

His eyes look at the symbol Christian shows, "I see you followed Arundhat, I am weak on Vudra religions, but the festival of 10 thousand flowers is said to be beautiful beyond words." His tone is kind, there is a touch of confusion in his eyes but he seems to be lowering his guard a little but not entirely, "I have so many questions about your old faith, and what brought you to your newest one? but I am a talker by nature. I'm Bydar, a cleric of Shelyn. I find learning of other religions enlightening in understanding my own."

A drastic shift indeed. I do not know Arundhat well, but serpents are benevolent in her faith, and this is surely a sign of disfavor, but why has she changed to Prathos? Mad druids and cyclopi alone are his normally.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian listens as Bydar speaks. Stepping forward with the revealed holy symbol out for all to see...especially this new woman.
Lady Nanya...do you happen to remember where you were when your new...faith found you. As you said it was a few days ago but I was hoping you could recall for me.


There is a pain in Nanya's eyes, well beyond the scratches upon her face, when she looks upon her old holy symbol.

"I don't want to talk about that. I...have left Arundhat behind. The Sacred Perfume is nothing compared to Howling Eye. She merely guards the gardens and shepherds those who go there to meditate and seek knowledge. They...stumble in the dark. Prathos' eye is not so blind. It unflinchingly looks upon unseen knowledge and shares it with those brave enough to follow him."

Bydar, your previous Sense Motive roll also works for the following spoiler.

Sense Motive DC 15:
There is much conflict and contradiction in Nanya's voice. She wants to sound confident in her declaration, but there is something holding her back, as though - deep down - she does not actually believe the words falling from her mouth.

"It was right here, where I have now founded his shrine, that Prathos found me. Where I found him. Look!"

In a paroxysm of movement, Nanya practically lunges towards her altar. She sets aside the bowl lamps and folds over the cloth, revealing the simple wooden box beneath. She opens the lid and reaches inside. From among the jugs of lamp oil and copper-hued armored jacket stored within, she withdraws a golden idol.

The idol, about six inches in height, depicts a grotesque humanoid. The figure's face, locked in a howling grimace, contains an embedded ruby to represent the creature's singular eye. Undoubtedly, this is a representation of the cyclopean god Prathos.

"It must have been fate - no, the guiding vision of Prathos - that led me right to this relic," she sighs, cradling the idol. "Through this gift, the Howling Eye would fain grant wisdom and insight to the chosen."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Nanya, I can sense your confusion, we all can but, perhaps there are more things at play than sudden Epiphany, tell us more about how the idol's discovery lead to this revelation?" And he mutters low to the others, "That idol maybe more than it appears. If someone knows how to sense Dweomers or enchantments, it might be the time though I would warn against touching it...I have an illfeeling about such a speedy conversion."

If needed, Diplomacy roll on Nanya 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21 +1 more vs. characters who could be attracted to him


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

Syretia nods and focuses her magical senses upon the object, trying to learn what she can from a safe distance.

Spellcraft for 3 rounds of Detect Magic: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34


Even though he is essentially calling her faith into question, Nanya remains willing to speak with Bydar and his companions.

"I discovered the cave entrance...I really can't remember how many days ago it was at this point," Nanya says. She gestures with one hand in the general direction of the natural cavern you just explored, while she keeps the golden idol cradled in her other arm.

"I passed through that room of bones. Oh, that was such a terrible sight," she shudders. "I almost turned back, but I clutched...that icon," she indicates the holy symbol in Christian's hands, "for strength and pressed forward. Then, I found this room."

With her free arm, she again offers a sweeping gesture across the makeshift shrine you now stand in together. All the while, she holds the idol - providing yet more time for Syretia to analyze it from afar.

"I found this relic of Prathos just sitting in the center of the floor, as though it were waiting for me. When I picked it up, I could feel a rush of energy that left me dizzy, and then...well, nothing yet. I set up camp and rested in here, and as I slept, I was visited by visions from Prathos. I could hear whispers upon a howling wind, and in the distance I could see his ruby red eye. When I awoke, I knew I had to rebuild this room into a proper shrine."

Syretia:
As Nanya speaks, you have plenty of time to analyze the idol, even from afar. It possesses a strong aura, demonstrating a blend of both divination and transmutation magics. However, you soon realize this idol is unique, unlike other enchanted items you read about at the academy in New Stetven - or even the novels you read as a child.

The idol grants a magical boon to the one who possesses it, both enhancing their eyesight and harboring a store of divinatory power to provide flashes of insight. Of course, that is simply the figurative surface of the thing. Driven by suspicions you already harbored about the idol, you focus your magically attuned eyes to peel away the layers of enchantment and look deeper into its nature.

The idol is cursed. If Nanya's account didn't already suggest such a thing, you can perceive the "threads" of magic lurking within that would latch upon a possessor's mind and sway them. The effect draws the possessor into the worship of Prathos.

This is a unique, cursed item. It grants the possessor low-light vision (or doubles the range if they already have low-light vision), and it allows them to use a cyclops' Flash of Insight (Su) ability once per day. However, each day the possessor must make a Will save or be converted to the worship of Prathos.


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

As Syretia pulls apart the surface details of the idol's magic and realizes its true nature, she shudders involuntarily and drops her concentration. What a horrible thing to do to a person!

"Bydar," she says in a low, whispering voice, "the idol is cursed. It has compelled her to abandon her god and worship this Prathos. I don't think we'll be able to reason her out of it, but there must be some way we can help her."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

This story causes Bydar's brows to rise just a bit higher for a moment, but he keeps his voice kindly. "A fascinating story, I thank you. Perhaps you could tell me the tenents of the two respective gods? Did you know of Prathos teachings before hand?"

Then Syretia whispers to him, and he mutters back, "Please, Tell the others as discretely as you can what you just told me. I have a protection from evil spell but I'm not sure if it will free her and even if it does it is temporary, but definitely don't need to touch that icon. Thank you for telling me, your insight might have saved us from losing our very soulpaths."


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

Syretia nods and passes on her warning about the cursed artifact to the rest of the party.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

With another problem that can't be dealt with by his hammer. Orlog just fidget by the entrance of the room. He nods to Syretia as she explains to him what might have happen to the woman. After that, he relax a bit more. Seems like this might not require violence after all.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Nodding softly at Syretia, Christian looks to the women.
That explains a lot. The item need not be physically in her possession it appears, so getting it out of her hands will do nothing. She seems in pain...an internal battle of wills maybe.

Looking towards his companions, Christian steps forward with the holy symbol outstretched towards her. His voice is calm and steady. A soothing tone to his words. Seeing that his words need to be spot on, he elects to make speech of sort in hope that his words will help her see that light of her true god.

Lady Nanya, I can not pretend to understand the vision of Prathos or even the...scent of ten thousand flowers that is Arundhat. That is for you to sort through. I can only hope to guide you to the light that is in your heart. Your god is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Sifting through the tenets of your religion from the very beginning, you will see that there is one consistent theme, and that is your God's great love and compassion towards thee. Your God is unchangeable, and in this you can have great confidence. It seems there is no greater motivation for faith than knowing this, your God is absolutely for you. Your God wants you to succeed. It makes it easier to have confidence in fulfilling your purpose and destiny here on this plane when you know that your God has called you and ordained for you to succeed. Your God loves you so much but without faith it is impossible to please your God. Faith is the premium in any religious life. It is not according to your fortune, not according to your friends, not according to your finances; it is according to your faith so be it unto you. Your God puts a great, great premium on faith and so if you have real faith...I pray and trust that you do. My Lady.
Christian nods his head slightly and extends his hand with the Arundhat holy symbol. Making sure that the light reflects of it at odd angles to draw her attention into the symbol.
Perform: Oratory: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14
It shows that Christian is not a theologist at all. He keeps saying the word God...way too many times. He looks back at his companions and shrugs slightly.

It appears that even though his words are awkward, the meaning is clear. He is attempting to give her a chance to see her faith again.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar is a man of strong will, and it is because of this he does not wince at some of the theological holes one could float a barge through in Christian's speech, but the intent is pure and admirable. And the message clear as well, and he seeks to aid, "It does seem Arundhat gave you comfort on the hardest part of your journey, to retrace the steps as Lord Christian suggests, perhaps you will find answers on to why you have stepped away from her so abruptly. I sense it troubles you, not knowing the whys and we are meant to question somewhat or else faith is unexamined and weaker for it."

Diplomacy to assist Lord Christian's roll 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27 (Plus Charming bonus if applies)


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Standing back with Orlogg, Brandt watches those more knowledgeable and well-spoken address the confused young priestess. Aye, this seems more and more like something we cannot help with, Orlogg, but I wondering if we can help somehow?

Brandt continues to scan the room with Fenrir curled at his feet, although he has kept his bow and arrow in hand.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Glad that someone else felt useless with the current problem, Orlog smiles a bit. "My skill set and spell selection for the day is more meant for solving problem the violent way." He looks over at the woman again. "But if they can help her with words, then I am more then happy to stand back and wait the time that it is required."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian gives a look of thanks to Bydar for his assist and glances at Brand and Orlog. His simple looks is one of readiness. He give the two a nod and returns his attention to the confused woman.
This had better work or we might have to put her down.


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

"If it comes to it, I can probably disable her without violence," Syretia says, nervously biting her lip. "It won't last long, though, so you'll need to move quickly to restrain her."


"You are guests here. The rules of hospitality demand that I do not cast you out, but I would ask you to not wrest me from the divine guidance I have found," Nanya speaks in reply to Christian, her eyes downcast and her voice low. All the while, she clutches the golden idol like a child's comfort toy.

The noble cavalier's attempt at oratory has failed, but his diplomatic approach ensures that relations with the fallen Vudrani priestess have not deteriorated.

"This is but another test," she muses quietly. She touches her free hand to her cheek beneath her left eye, wreathed with scratches. "I tried to offer my eye to Prathos as a token of my devotion, but I could not. Something held me back. I was not yet worthy."

Words alone cannot break the curse upon Nanya.

Nevertheless, she remains non-hostile. A long-handled flail, it's chain ending in a striking end shaped like a serpent's head, lies beside her sleeping pallet. However, not only does she not move to pick it up, but her eyes do not even stray in its direction.

Bydar and Orlog:
Being well versed in the divine, you believe that while the curse of the idol has compelled Nanya to forsake her goddess, her goddess has not forsaken her. In fact, you suspect that Arundhat's protection has thus far stayed Nanya's hand, keeping her from plucking out her eye for Prathos.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar's respect for Arundhat rises. I know her not, but she fights for the soul of her follower and to spare her this spiritual enslavement.
His distress, however, grows. Words alone are not going to work it seems. He tries to think on the theory of how divine energies interact, but gives Syretia a look at her suggestion, then a glance to Christian to see if he agrees to give that a try. The last thing he wants to do is step in the way of his fellows ruining their attempt to help save this woman.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Watching the interplay of long forgotten gods and religions from far away Jamerlay, Brandt's head swims with the names and portfolios of these lesser known deities. Haven't forgotten you, old hunter, don't worry about me Brandt subconsciously raises his hand to his holy symbol, a small oval of bronze on a leather cord about his neck.

He nods at Syretia, but says nothing to her question, merely inclining his head in the affirmative. To Christian's gaze he meets it, face firm with determination.

Fenrir seems uninterested in all the human talking and proceeds to wander about the room sniffing at things randomly. Finally deciding to settle below Mr. Black's perch.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

"Bydar, would you be able to prepare a spell tomorrow that could lift this curse from her? Couldn't we just invite her back to the fort and free her in the morning, then?"


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

A worried sound "We could try, but I'm reluctant to have her bring a cursed object with her into where other innocents might be lured to it."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)
DM Vayelan wrote:
"You are guests here. The rules of hospitality demand that I do not cast you out, but I would ask you to not wrest me from the divine guidance I have found,"

As you wish my lady.

Stepping away from the women to leave her to her new god, Christian looks to the others.
Words in of themselves appear not enough...might need magic to bring in the wayward sheep to the Shepard. Thoughts?


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar nods respectfully to the woman, then moves to whisper to Christian, "If I can touch her, I can try to put a protection from evil upon her that might give her a chance to resist it for a few minutes. But not sure she'll be willing. We could ask her to just join us top side and I can remove the curse in the morning, but I am not comfortable bringing a soul bending idol among innocents. We can try other spells to subdue, but whatever we do I would not wish her gravely injured. She's... a victim."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Thinking of options, Brandt leans into his companions, Why don't we use the back door, and set camp for the night with her there. We can keep watch over the campsite and her, and then Bydar can attempt to heal her in the morning


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

Growing impatient for a solution, Syretia nods forcefully at Brandt's suggestion. "Yes, let's do that. Someone should keep watch during the evening to make sure she doesn't hurt herself."


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"If you ask me, I would just let her be for now and continu to explore the place. Once we are done, we could come back and pick her up."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian speaks to the would be cyclopian priestess from a distance.
Lady Nanya, we will leave you in peace here in your shrine. I feel you will be safe until we return tomorrow morning. At that time if you wish to remain here we leave you be.

He then turns to the others.
We shall leave her be and continue on.
Nodding towards her shrine and pallet...
She does not seem to be wanting to be anywhere else.

We will not take her or that idol out of these caves. The risk of endangering others is too great. We will do what we can to help her and remove this affliction. Bydar if you are able to help her then we shall do what we can to aid her in recovering from this curse. Prepare what spells are needed.

Let us head back towards the entrance. At the very next intersection will will turn left(6) and see where that takes us.


Nanya's face brightens.

"I shall look forward to your return, friends," she says cheerily. Any hint of unease she previously felt, finding her new faith question, has vanished like a wisp of smoke upon the wind. "While I have felt the eye of Prathos upon me since establishing this shrine, it has been quite lonely without actual company. I am relieved that our differences in faith have not driven too terrible of a wedge between us."

Thus, the cursed yet friendly priestess bids you farewell for the day.

I've put this off long enough. I am going to put together an actual visual map for the tunnels.
I will post a gameplay update with the next area once I've got a map ready.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

I have a very good idea of where we have been and where we have not been. If you do not wish to do a map I ma find with that. I like maps but if you do not want to do it that is fine with me. I mean from my map we only have three paths to pick form and one of those paths we have already gone down...I just do not know which one it is: where we found the missing halfling.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar takes a breath and nods, "I hope to talk to you again, Nanya."

And as they withdraw further away he says softly "I just hope she doesn't take her own eye in the time it takes me to ask Shelyn for the spell. I confess, that idol's magic shakes me to the core. Magical soulbinding is not a means to true faith, but a betrayal of it"


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Nodding that the decision has been reached Brandt gathers his gear, waving to the cursed cleric, Be safe, Nanya, we shall return shortly.

Hearing Bydar's words Brandt concurs, You two did everything you could just now to try and steer her onto a better course. We should be mindful of things like this while we're exploring these ancient and terrible ruins.


I've added a link up top: Labyrinth Exploration Map.

Additional Map Notes:
I think I also succumbed to some confusion in the initial exploration when Brand said north and Mr. Pink said south because the paths I described were the northern ones.

Also, comparing Christian's kender notes to my own notes and accounting for the path that led to the sinkhole and Narthropple's refuge, I can only account for one other unexplored tunnel. I may have been unclear or mistaken in my descriptions, but there should only be one more tunnel to explore.

One last note: the map is very much not to scale. The tunnels run long, and many curve in odd ways. The map is just meant to clarify the general layout - perhaps even more so for my benefit than for the party's.

You retrace your steps almost entirely back to the entrance in the fort's cellar. You pass where you found the first ill-fated halfling adventure and the tunnel leading to the sinkhole where you found a nearly dead Narthropple taking desperate sanctuary. From here, as befitting your hitherto successful strategy, Misters Pink and Black scout ahead.

The last tunnel, running almost a quarter-mile south, bears many cramped, cell-like rooms opening onto its considerable length. Rather than a prison, however, you suspect these were either bunks for soldiers, dorms for priests, or even spartan apartments for long-forgotten residents. They sit empty, bereft of all accept moss, dust, and mouse droppings.

As they press forward, the avian scouts can feel moisture upon their feathers and hear running water ahead. Following these hints leads them to another, more sizable sinkhole. When no immediate danger is detected, they invite the rest of the party to examine the scene.

Water cascades from fissures in the stone above, creating a small but steady waterfall that plummets far below. Your geographic acumen and direction sense informs you that this must be runoff from the bottom of the Tuskwater, with thin fingers of lakewater infiltrating through the earth.

This was once a wide chamber, perhaps an underground commons or plaza, but untold centuries of flowing water weakened the underlying earth and stone, causing the floor to collapse. Thin stone columns, arrayed around the periphery of the shaft-like sinkhole, still support the ceiling from its own collapse.

Moss and fern-like weeds grow along the jagged walls of the shaft, fed by the nutrient-rich water plunging down. Even with magical light, it is hard to see the bottom of the pit, but you can hear the waterfall pouring into a pool below.

The remnants of tunnels leading east and west from here can be seen, but only the door lintels remain. The passages themselves have long since collapsed and would require weeks if not months of careful work to excavate.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Brand Oluffson wrote:

Nodding that the decision has been reached Brandt gathers his gear, waving to the cursed cleric, Be safe, Nanya, we shall return shortly.

Hearing Bydar's words Brandt concurs, You two did everything you could just now to try and steer her onto a better course. We should be mindful of things like this while we're exploring these ancient and terrible ruins.

"Thank you, Brandt," Indeed, the cleric is grateful for the man's understanding and support.

As they move on, he tries to focus on where they are and not the poor woman behind them.

Every room, he sees potential.... however torn down, worn down, or faded. Now he has to catch himself from going too far ahead into the future, of what might be, and not what is.

The water both intrigues and alarms, there's a beauty to it, but "I do hope this doesn't weaken entirely and flood the place."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

This is great...My map is almost spot on except for the north south mix up in the beginning. I was able to find where the extra path was. In one of your posts you stated that the next intersection had three curving passages. This was just after we encountered the halfling wizard.
I will have a post up soon

This Post


Lord Christian D'Elagante wrote:

This is great...My map is almost spot on except for the north south mix up in the beginning. I was able to find where the extra path was. In one of your posts you stated that the next intersection had three curving passages. This was just after we encountered the halfling wizard.

I will have a post up soon
This Post

Ah, there's the missing passage! Thank you. I've added it onto the map.


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

Syretia smiles at Nanya, saying "We will see you tomorrow, Nanya. Be safe."

Bydar wrote:
"I just hope she doesn't take her own eye in the time it takes me to ask Shelyn for the spell."

"That is my worry as well," she says. "We should waste no time tomorrow morning once you're ready, Bydar."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian keeps his distance from the whole while looking down into the dark.
We should investigate this when we have are properly prepare for such a venture.

He looks at the ground and the walls of the hole.
I wonder if this hole has been use as a means of egress?


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Looking down the hole, Orlog picks up a stone nearby. "Wonder how deep it goes." He uses a minor spell to a the stone shine bright with light and throes it in the hole. He tries to remember the mathematical equation to calculate the distance a falling object travels has he keeps his eyes on the stone.

knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


The shining stone plummets down the water-slick pit. As it falls, its light reveals the sharp, irregular ledges that extend from the walls; the stone bounces off of one such ledge on its way down. Strange shadows dance and sway in the glowing stone's wake. Finally, it plunges into the water below with a dull splash.

Orlog's calculations deduce that watery bottom of the pit is approximately 80 feet down. The fact that the water has not filled the entire sinkhole indicates that there must be some manner of outflow hidden below. It's size remains a mystery, but it must allow a flow of water commensurate to what the waterfall pours inside.

Orlog:
Furthermore, you assess the long-term risk of this underground chamber. The remaining columns ensure that the ceiling is not in immediate danger of collapse, but in a matter of years it could threaten whatever lies above. Fortunately, you calculate that the fort is not within the danger zone; however, should this chamber further collapse, there would be a sizeable sinkhole within a stone's throw of your stronghold, consuming land that might be otherwise given over to your settlement.

Knowledge (Nature) DC 20:
Your attention is drawn to a large plant with long, fern-like fronds growing upon a ledge about ten feet down the shaft. The fronds move in a way that cannot be justified by the flowing waterfall. You believe this may be a rare, underground variant of a strangle weed, a semi-aquatic predatory plant that catches prey with its fronds.

Perception DC 22 or Knowledge (Religion) DC 16:
The shadows along the sinkhole walls move quite unnaturally. Furthermore, they appear to be drawing closer as they seemingly scale the rough stone walls.
Thus, you suspect these may be undead shadows that haunt this place.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Perception Fenrir: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Peering down into the deep hole Brandt whistles, It must come out somewhere, that is a long way down, He then turns to Fenrir (who doesn't notice anything either), and absently pets the large wolfdog while looking up in the cavern.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Quote:
"That is my worry as well," she says. "We should waste no time tomorrow morning once you're ready, Bydar."

"you're Absolutely right. I shall try to prepare for it twice over should it be needed and maybe... Then he looks as well, down into the gaping maw and what he sees causes him to drop that train of thought.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Alarm fills his face, "Those shadows, the ones along the edge of the sinkhole walls...they appear to be ..closing..weaving in. It matches writings of undead encounters involving shadows my superiors have mentioned."


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC16 T13 FF14 | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 5/5 1st 8/8 | Conditions: None

At Bydar's warning, Syretia quickly peeks over the side and down into the darkness.

Religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Eyes wide, she immediately backs away and begins a complex series of hand gestures. "I've never seen a, um, a ghost before, but I've read about them. Don't let them touch you!"

Readied action:
Syretia will back up 30 feet and use Arcane Bolt on the first shadow that comes out.
Arcane Bolt: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Force Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Following Bydar's gaze, Christian also sees the shadows.
It would appear that we have a defensive entity guarding this hole...unwanted yes but something that we can take care of.

As he removes his gaze from the hole, he looks to the others.
...prepare for company...

Christian steps back and prepares for battle.
I hate undead


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13

Loosing interest with the stone, Orlog starts analyzing the rest of the room. He is about to remark on his finding when the rest of the group seemed to have notice something coming from the pit he was looking at a moment ago. "Danger coming our way?" Before he even gets an answer, he blesses his armor with sacred energy.

Increased Defense (minor): At 1st level, you can gain a +1 sacred bonus on saving throws and a +1 sacred bonus to AC for 1 minute.
Ac is now 24, T12, FF23.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

I don't know how I can help with this, I really hate the undead.... Considering his options, he channels the power of Erastil into Fenrir,

Skald:
Be brave Fenrir, be brave, guard Bydar!

Fenrir ambles over to the cleric, the fur on his neck rising and a low growl coming from his throat.

Cast Magic Fang on Fenrir, prepare to fight defensively. +1 Enhancement on Fenrir Bite Attacks.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

Mr. Pink remains quiet but prepares for battle. He draws out his magical Aldori dueling sword and slowly backs away from the well. Mr. Black takes flight and hovers far enough away so that he can still provide light for the group.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar steps back, but not too far back, and he casts a Shield of Faith upon Lord Christian "As you're a front line fighter and I hope to be sending holy rays behind others..."

+2 Magical deflection bonus

And then he raises a brow at the wolf, "Happy to work with you, Fenrir."

751 to 800 of 922 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Saga of a New Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.