Saga of a New Land

Game Master vayelan

A Kingmaker campaign of politics, intrigue, and war.

Maps:
Greenbelt Map
Stolen Lands Map
The Abandoned Fort

Encounter Map: Labyrinth Ambush
Party Loot

Resources:
Kingdom Tracker Spreadsheet
Kingdom Building Rules
Kingdom Turn Sequence
Buildings


301 to 350 of 593 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

After the first person reads it, Christian looks around.
Let us limit the number of people touching that note. I took a contract to find a missing noblemen once...I hired a specialist diviner to locate the person who wrote the ransom note. They were able to locate this man by magic. I am not sure but it may work in this instance.

Taldor will not send an army this way...our southern neighbors will not allow such a force to enter their borders. Their agents will try to sow some discord in the area. Perhaps we can find them before that cause to much harm.

Looking at the door.
It looks like nothing has come out of it this way...so let us leave it alone and secure this place before we enter. Once the area is safe we should get those civilians in here. We can start to get things organized and get some basic repairs going.


Nothing larger than a common rat or starling is to be found within the fort, so you deem it safe to bring the civilians within its walls. The reclaimed stronghold offers far greater safety than the open hill country that surrounds it, although there is little comfort to be found. Any surviving furnishings are on the verge of collapse, and almost nothing of value has been spared on the surface. The trade goods left behind in the cellar would surely be worth a tidy sum to a merchant, but there is little of everyday utility among them.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar will greets each of those coming in with reassurance and confidence. "Come in, it's safe. It's rough, but it is safe and far safer than many options. We'll make something grand of it. If anyone wants to join me for a blessing ceremony later, let me know."[/B]


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Does anyone think Oleg would offer us coin or trade for these things in the basement?

Considering the sealed door, Brandt muses, "I don't like letting a sealed door be in our basement without opening it, but I suppose we let it lie for now."


Cavan, Lira, and the rest of your new followers file into the reclaimed fort. Some rush in, eager for the safety afforded by the walls. Others enter more cautiously, eyeing every corner and crevice warily. Soon enough, though, they all settle in and begin claiming empty crates for chairs to rest their feet or working to salvage hammocks to rest a spell.

Vera examines the trade goods abandoned in the cellar. Although she is not a merchant, she knows Oleg well enough to judge that he would readily offer credit, at full value, at his trading post in exchange for these goods.

The first steps towards building your kingdom are to clear and prepare this hex for construction. This will take approximately 1 month in-game and cost 3 of your 50 starting Build Points (1 BP for claiming the hex, which represents setting up very basic infrastructure such as clearing paths, hiring patrols, setting up a tent city, and so on; the other 2 BP is for preparing for construction, which represents involve clearing trees, moving boulders, digging sanitation trenches, and so on.)

You should also decide what your first building will be.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Is there a guide for buildings or are we just guessing at what we want to do?


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Well, clearly living areas are important.. but perhaps a small shrine to worship at even if it must be shared with more than one god? People will find comfort in it, and we need goodly gods blessing if we're to survive"


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Considering Bydar's suggestion, Brandt counters, "Would it make more sense to first construct a defensible position? This keep would be a good foundation to start upon for some kind of fort, yes? Even just a watchtower to begin. I do like the idea of crafting a Shrine soon, I would just prefer to know when our enemies are descending upon us."

Pulling out his small map, roughly copied from Christian's larger one, I would also like to explore the region around us soon, perhaps even taking a day here and there to explore and make certain our position is secure."

Grinning to the group, "We may even find allies or resources we can use in construction out there!"


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar is not convinced, but he is aware of his own biases, "I fear if we continually look to be safe we'll find it keeps demanding more until we live in a fortress that shields the body but offers little else to the mind and soul. But then as a priest perhaps I am focused on matters spiritual where others see things I do not."

He's looks to the others for their opinions.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink reads the written message as thoroughly as possible. Taking care to look for forgeries or any hidden meanings. This likely takes several hours. He keeps the document itself if allowed to do so. Afterwards, he chimes in with his opinion on what to build first once asked.

A taunt? A trick? A ploy? A plot? Will not learn the truth until more knowledge is got.

Linguistics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

"Seems seeing and surveying should soundly steer our stolen ship. A well-placed Watchtower would be wise while withstanding within the wall-less wilds."

He clearly agrees with Brandt's appraisal of the situation.

"Ousting any opposition outright ought to be our ongoing objective."

Assuming that we each took 20 on Perception to explore the entirety of the fort with a fine-toothed comb, I will also assume that there are no traps or locked doors/objects anywhere either, correct?


Mr. Pink:
You find the letter stiff and unimaginative. What's more, the subtext is utterly plain to see. The Taldan party clearly hopes that whatever lurks within this "labyrinth" beneath the fort will be the death of you, sparing them the trouble of having to do the dirty work themselves.

A thorough exploration of the fort turns up a few old, deactivated traps likely left behind by the bandits who formerly occupied this stronghold. They amount to little more than bells on strings to warn of infiltrators and the odd arrow launcher, crude and spent. If the Taldan party had the inclination and skill to leave behind any traps, they clearly did not have the time.

No locks adorn any of the containers or doors - not even the three chests in the bandit king's bed chambers or the mysterious door in the cellar.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"I agree that a watchtower should be a priority, but let's not forget about getting a solid roof above people's head. Also, a mill would help us for any other project." He looks around and think for a moment. "Basicly, we need a list of what we want to work on, and who should be directing what project."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

To start we will need food, water, shelter and warmth.

Christian looks around at all those gathered.
We have food...game aplenty to hunt close by...we have a lake full of fish...

Which also will provide us with fresh water.

The forest is close by and will provide us with wood for fires and our shelters. Stone would be better but right now this is what we have to use.

I feel that we should build an inn with a some housing first. We make a home for those that are helping us start this off right. The inn can be used as a way to bring some income for our efforts and provide shelter for the citizens. We should also strive to fix this fort. Repair the wall and create a solid defensive position before we expand.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"A few homes for these good folk is only fair, so I can see the inn matter. I do wonder," A thought, then "Orlog, Torag is a god of Defense among other things? Is there a possible way to dedicate the watchtower to him as a shrine as well as a defensive position? I do not mean insult, quite the opposite in fact, but thought I would ask."


"Whatever you build, I'd recommend cutting fresh timbers for it," Cavan suggests, rapping his knuckles on one of the logs that form the palisade. "This wood's no good. Splintering, badly cut. Most of these logs are probably rotting from the inside. You say bandits were squatting here? Feh, not surprising."

You can build a house alongside your first building. In fact, if you build an inn, a house is required to be adjacent. During the Improvement Phase of each Kingdom Turn, you can build a house or tenement in addition to your main construction project.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

After hearing Cavan's words, Orlog think for a moment, then add his though. "So, we need to set up a timber supply chain?" He looks at the map. "The Skunk river heads directly in the forest over there, So we will need to make sure that that part of the forest is safe so that we can send people logging trees and sending them down river. From there, we can collect the logs from the lake and start building." He survey the land around the fort. "So an inn and some houses. I think we can make this work."

At Bydar's suggestion, Orlog smiles. "Yes, Torag is known for protection and strategy. I, myself, was more linked to the forge side of my god, but a shrine to Torag incorporated in the watchtower would be welcome."

From my understading, the "house" building is an upgrade of a "Tenement". Are we allowed to build the house directly or do we need to do the Tenement first?"


Orlog BrightShield wrote:
From my understading, the "house" building is an upgrade of a "Tenement". Are we allowed to build the house directly or do we need to do the Tenement first?"

Yes, houses can be directly built on their own. Tenements serve the same purpose as houses, but cost less at the expense of increasing the kingdom's Unrest. They can then later be upgraded to houses to mitigate the Unrest.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"If I may, we might want to eventually start a policy of planting new trees to replace the ones we needs must fell. Natural beauty as well as great works of beauty are both important. And it's always wise to keep resources for the future generations," Bydar says.

Quote:
At Bydar's suggestion, Orlog smiles. "Yes, Torag is known for protection and strategy. I, myself, was more linked to the forge side of my god, but a shrine to Torag incorporated in the watchtower would be welcome."

He smiles at that, "Something we can work on in the short term then. " A sigh, "Shelyn's own shrine can come sometime later."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)
Bydar wrote:
"If I may, we might want to eventually start a policy of planting new trees to replace the ones we needs must fell. Natural beauty as well as great works of beauty are both important. And it's always wise to keep resources for the future generations," Bydar says.

Christian thinks for a moment at the words..

We could just take an area to use and then replant that area. As those trees are growing we use another area and plant again. You do this until the first area trees are mature again and then repeat the process. You never cut more than you need and you always cut the same general area. Letting the rest of the forest alone.

He pauses for a moment.
but..some more forest friendly folk might take exception to such tactics. I and my XO have had talks about this and we have come up with a idea that was of use to us...maybe not on such a grand scale as this...It is expensive, but it might work.

Feather tokens...Tree Feather Tokens to be exact. The one shot magical item creates a tree anywhere you want it. We used them where the tress were not plentiful. Talking with Jasrella, we think you can adjust the arcane matrix of the item itself to produce just about any species of tree. Not just Oak.


Over the proceeding fortnight, as your laborers clear the land, they report to you with any oddities they discover.

A niche is found carved into the side of a small hillock, about a quarter mile west from the fort. Set inside, they found another stone door bearing the same bas-relief of the twin-bladed axe.

To the north, an immense set of footprints are found. Each print measures nearly four feet long. The workers begin nervously muttering about giants prowling the hills.

Lastly, a fresher set of tracks are found in the mud along the eastern lake shore. These are smaller, suggesting something more man-sized, but their clawed shape looks like no man made them.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Having never heard of these Tokens, Bydar looks impressed, "Very intriguing. I would worry about the cost, but an option I'd never heard of. "

The people get to work, and Bydar helps them if he can, making sure anyone who has slip of axe or mistep that leads to injury is tended to. If there is a price to his healing it's only that he speaks of his goddess and educates about her teachings. But then, he is a priest, not a potion of healing dispensary.

When news of the discoveries comes in, the bas relief designs have in intrigued, "Could it be the symbol of some fallen house or lord?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt rides out to consider the bas relief door. Upon his return he seems concerned.

"Bydar, or Orlogg, do you think it may be an escape tunnel from this fort outside? I think there is too much coincidence for an unexplored door in our foundation and this one not even a mile from the fort. I feel like we should explore this and make sure we're secure."

Brandt looks around the group considering his next words.

We are putting our effort into providing for these people we have gathered, who are looking to us for leadership and safety. We've delayed looking after their protection, both physical and spiritual, in order to secure their more immediate need of housing. I feel strongly we should ensure we know as much about our place as possible. And an unopened door with a mirror surrounding ourselves does not bode well for our security.

Brandt, realizing how much he just spoke, looks embarrassed in front of the others.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"Magical items that grow trees you say. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire a Druid so he can also help with the future crops."

Later with the discovery of the second twin-bladed axe mark, Orlog looks worried. "I agree with Brand here. These need to be investigated, sooner rather than later. I'm ready now, unless some of you have some stuff to do and would rather we tackle this in the morning."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink looks at Brandt and Orlog and gives a slight nod. He is also interested in uncovering whatever is hidden beneath the fort despite the warnings from the traitors.

"A Determined dwarf delves deeply. We should see to subterranean secrets soon. First fear the near then fight the far."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Nodding in agreement with Orlog, Brandt looks to the others, "Its most like nothing, but if there is anything there it would be old traps or worst case some kind of magically animated thing, right? We'll not find anything lairing there as it would have made its presence known to us before this."

'But morning is best for this sort of adventure.' Considering the goods in the basement, "Do we think we should sell these things to Oleg, perhaps we can recruit him and his wife to assist us in a greater role at the same time? We're going to need to make decisions soon on who is doing what around these parts officially. Especially if we're going to expand our holdings."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar looks at the symbol with focus. Maybe some memory will spark.

Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Knowledge nobility: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"Good, then tomorrow morning it is. I suggest to inspect your weapons and armors and get a good night's sleep, for tomorrow might be a long day for us all." He looks again at the door. "Or it might just be a simple walk in a dark tunnel. Who knows!" He moves his shield to his back and walks back toward the fort. After a few steps, he turns back to the group. "Oh, should we set up some guards at the door overnight, just in case?"


As you settle into the fort, Cavan examines the woodworking tools brought along and familiarizes himself with their feel. Lira volunteers for a watch rotation atop the wooden gantries, clutching her bow like an eager child might hold a treasured doll.

Captain Garess also organizes his soldiers, directing them to, in particular, keep watch at the front gate and the escape hatch at the rear of the fort. Should you have additional orders, he will accommodate them.

Bydar:
During your clerical education, your studies branched out to other faiths and mythologies, including dabbling in treatises that blended the arcane and the divine. These studies came to the consternation of your family, especially since it eventually led you upon the path to the church of Shelyn.

However, you dimly recall reading during these tentative explorations that the twin-headed axe, known as a labys, is a symbol of importance in Iobarian myth and folklore. It is believed to hold protective powers against man-beasts, such as those that stalk the ancient, unplumbed depths of the forests that dominate the fallen empire of Iobaria.

It stands to reason that if the emblem of the labys is upon these doors, whatever chambers or tunnels lie beyond may contain strange, inhuman creatures.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Shrugging at Orlogg's suggestion, "Well lad, its been unguarded for a month now, and nothing's eaten us or those we care for. But I'll spend a night near our end should it prove to be a tunnel."

Slapping Fenrir's shoulder, This one is unparalleled at finding things I can't see, so we'll be good. Especially if we take some turns watching it. I can re-hone my axes while the sun sleeps."

Nothing special to prepare, as Brandt doesn't have much to change


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"I..truly wish I listened more to Old Father Clovis..." Bydar says "I think..this symbol, the Labys... holds great import in Iobarian folk lore. It was said to hold protective powers against man-beasts.. or was it best men? Ones said to stalk the depths beneath the wood. We may find some truly inhuman creatures on the other side of that symbol."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)
Bydar wrote:
Having never heard of these Tokens, Bydar looks impressed, "Very intriguing. I would worry about the cost, but an option I'd never heard of. "

My XO brought the original idea to me. Magic is her thing...I never could get the handle of it...

Orlog BrightShield wrote:
"Magical items that grow trees you say. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just hire a Druid so he can also help with the future crops."

Hiring a druid might not be a good idea. It is possible. Druids tend to protect the forest and they may not take kindly to us growing trees solely for the purpose of building material. They could very well see it as a type of slavery. It is something to think on...a good idea non the less.

The days go by as progress continues on the fledgling community. Christian continues to talk to all that come by and those that are making this new settlement their home. He tries hard to learn names and a little background of each and every person. At the very least he makes sure that they feel welcomed. Time and time again word would pop up about what was going to be done about the mysterious door. No real answer came to him but he continued to ponder the dilemma.
A second door out in the country side and one inside. Which would be the safest one to open?...should we open them at all? Do they connect...what is inside? Giants to the north and some clawed things along the shore. I hope the unit can get here soon. Caravan season will keep most of them busy for months. It will be sometime before they get here.

He waits and listens as the others talk of what they feel should be done.

Brand Oluffson wrote:


"Bydar, or Orlogg, do you think it may be an escape tunnel from this fort outside? I think there is too much coincidence for an unexplored door in our foundation and this one not even a mile from the fort. I feel like we should explore this and make sure we're secure."
Brandt looks around the group considering his next words.
We are putting our effort into providing for these people we have gathered, who are looking to us for leadership and safety. We've delayed looking after their protection, both physical and spiritual, in order to secure their more immediate need of housing. I feel strongly we should ensure we know as much about our place as possible. And an unopened door with a mirror surrounding ourselves does not bode well for our security.

Christian nods reassuringly towards Brandt

Well spoken.

Orlog BrightShield wrote:
"I agree with Brand here. These need to be investigated, sooner rather than later. I'm ready now, unless some of you have some stuff to do and would rather we tackle this in the morning."

Concur...that is two

Mister Haane Pinkjaw wrote:
"A Determined dwarf delves deeply. We should see to subterranean secrets soon. First fear the near then fight the far."

Three??? I think so...can not tell with him. I hope I am right.

Brand Oluffson wrote:

Its most like nothing, but if there is anything there it would be old traps or worst case some kind of magically animated thing, right? We'll not find anything lairing there as it would have made its presence known to us before this."

But morning is best for this sort of adventure.

Tomorrow will tell us all we need to know once we enter.

Orlog BrightShield wrote:
"Good, then tomorrow morning it is. I suggest to inspect your weapons and armors and get a good night's sleep, for tomorrow might be a long day for us all." He looks again at the door. "Or it might just be a simple walk in a dark tunnel. Who knows!" He moves his shield to his back and walks back toward the fort. After a few steps, he turns back to the group. "Oh, should we set up some guards at the door overnight, just in case?"

He could give old Angus a run for his coin as the burly old sergeant...

Brand Oluffson wrote:
Shrugging at Orlogg's suggestion, "Well lad, its been unguarded for a month now, and nothing's eaten us or those we care for. But I'll spend a night near our end should it prove to be a tunnel."Slapping Fenrir's shoulder, This one is unparalleled at finding things I can't see, so we'll be good. Especially if we take some turns watching it. I can re-hone my axes while the sun sleeps."

We may well need him

Bydar wrote:
"I..truly wish I listened more to Old Father Clovis..." Bydar says "I think..this symbol, the Labys... holds great import in Iobarian folk lore. It was said to hold protective powers against man-beasts.. or was it best men? Ones said to stalk the depths beneath the wood. We may find some truly inhuman creatures on the other side of that symbol."

great, inhuman creatures...We should secure the door once we enter

Christian clears his throat slightly as he stands up.
Even if the others do not the group stands in strong favor of entering. So we enter.
His voice projects confidence and respect at each of his companions.
Tomorrow it will be. We will need light sources and extra expendables to last at least three days. Rations as well. It is true this could be simply nothing but there is no telling what we will find or if we can get back out. Three days should be sufficient anymore than that and we will bog ourselves down. If we are able to return then we can come and resupply as needed. If it is needed. I want to plan for this being a prolonged excursion instead of a three hour tour. If I am wrong then we have extra supplies, not a problem.
He stops for a short moment.
Once inside we can assess what we are dealing with and move on form there. One thing is for sure, we should try to avoid leaving anything unexplored behind us. We have civilians that depend on us and it would not do well to leave any unknowns behind us and in front of them. When we finish clearing out this place we can combine all the items and trade them to Oleg. Pick his mind a bit to see how he might feel about the future.

He once again stops and ponders a bit before continuing.
Maybe we place guards on the door after we enter. Secure it from the possibility of any unknown ententes opening it.


The first caravan of supplies departs, bringing their guards with them, leaving behind the small tent city that has formed at the foot of your claimed stronghold. They promise that another shipment of tools, lumber, bricks, food, and laborers will be coming straight away, now that ground has broken upon the settlement.

Whereas Captain Garess once had only four soldiers under at his disposal to protect the trading post, a full dozen now serve under his command, ready to protect your stronghold and guard these mysterious doors as you investigate.

Once the time comes to unseal the door, pulling upon the tarnished bronze rung with all your might, the stone grinds open to reveal a long, dark corridor of cyclopean masonry. The walls are made of unworked limestone boulders fitted together tightly, with scarcely any room for clay mortar between them.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Upon revealing the dark corridor, Mr. Pink retrieves an ioun torch and sets it in orbit around Mr. Black. He whispers to his familiar in their shared language just before Mr. Black takes flight down the hallway.

Tengu:
"Time for seeing and telling. You know what to do. Stay steady and sail safely."

In a moment, Mr. Pink draws out his shortbow and readies a cold-iron arrow. He speaks briefly in common to his companions and then follows his familiar at a short distance, taking careful note of what the fluttering light reveals along its path.

"We will walk the windless the way warily. Feel free to follow us forth fearlessly."

Scouting Tactic: Mr. Black is acting as both a decoy and a light source (20' radius normal light, another 20' dim light). He is taking 10 on Fly checks to fly only 15' per round. This should allow Mr. Pink to follow stealthily in the dim-light 30' behind at a rate of 15' per round as well. Both Mr. Black and Mr. Pink have low-light vision which doubles the range of the visible dim-light for their eyes (20' normal light, 40' dim light). Taking 10 on Perception & Stealth unless something noteworthy gives us pause, such as Trap Spotter (Mr. Black Perception = 19, Mr. Pink Perception = 21, Mr. Pink Stealth = 23).


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

"Well that's ominous. I do suppose I'll follow Mr. Pink in a second, give me a solid ten count, then follow into the darkness as well."

Letting Mr. Pink get some way in, Brandt strings his massive longbow and wraps himself tightly in his color-changing cloak. Before giving Fenrir a brief command in Ulfen and pointing to Christian.

Stealth: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28

The wolfhound wanders next to Christian, waiting on the warrior to begin entering and accompanying the rest of the group into the darkness.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Orlog was about to walk in the corridor first, when the scout headed in. He looks at Brand walk in the darkness and give the human the delay he asked for before setting a foot inside. He looks over his shoulder at the rest of the group. "If we do encounter anything and you get hurt, regroup behind my shield to recover." With that, he walks deeper in.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar nods to Orlog. He would be lying to say he was not nervous.


I'm assuming that the party is entering the door beneath the fort, rather than the one out in the nearby hills. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

DM Screen:

Orlog Perception, Stonecunning): 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 11 + 2 = 16
Orlog Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Bydar Profession (Architect): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Orlog:
This passage slopes downward at a gradual, barely perceptible gradient. It is especially evident here, even more so than further down these tunnels, that this underground complex has been modified over its existence.

The illuminated Mr. Black previews the path ahead, providing the first warning as - some one hundred paces down - the tunnel's height abruptly doubles. The narrow stone passage rises to a pitched arch some twelve feet above your heads, tangles of cobwebs catching the light of the ioun torch.

Bydar:
The stonework of this entrance passage shows superficial similarity to the Iobarian ruins above. However, this appears to be laid upon even older stonework. As the party explores further, it becomes even more apparent that the original tunnels were the product of pre-Iobarian craftsmen. The sudden change in proportion also suggests to you that these wall were not originally hewn by human hands.

You discover an intersection not far ahead where a similar tunnel bisects this one. Dry, brittle bones litter this underground crossroads.
Mr. Black flits down these separate paths a ways before double backing if only to confirm that they proceed quite far, twisting and turning in almost random fashion.

Mr. Pink and Brandt find the air still and stale, and they wonder just how far these maze-like tunnels spread beneath the hills.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)
DM Vayelan wrote:
The illuminated Mr. Black previews the path ahead, providing the first warning as - some one hundred paces down - the tunnel's height abruptly doubles. The narrow stone passage rises to a pitched arch some twelve feet above your heads, tangles of cobwebs catching the light of the ioun torch. You discover an intersection not far ahead where a similar tunnel bisects this one. Dry, brittle bones litter this underground crossroads. Mr. Black flits down these separate paths a ways before double backing if only to confirm that they proceed quite far, twisting and turning in almost random fashion. Mr. Pink and Brandt find the air still and stale, and they wonder just how far these maze-like tunnels spread beneath the hills.

I believe we did begin beneath the fort as well. Is there a dungeon/tactical map available? If not, I can just pick a direction and continue exploring.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

was my understanding as well that we started from the fort

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink and Mr. Black pause in the intersection to share some squawks in the language of the Tengu. After a moment, Mr. Pink speaks to Brandt in the common tongue and gestures out toward the available directions.

"A large labyrinthine lair. Manipulating meager markers might make moving manageable."

Mr. Pink stows his weapon and begins collecting small pieces of skeletal debris to use as trail markers. He also pulls out his weathered black journal and scribes a rough map while the rest of his companions catch up to the crossroads.

For the purposes of abstracting a map, can we assume that we are entering from a south passage into the crossroad and are proceeding in cardinal directions from here on out (North, West, East, South)?


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Keep track of the changing stone... see, this is older work here..." He explains "It may give us a clue to finding our way back to near surface."

Feel free to read spoiler as Bydar explains


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

As they walk along the corridor, Orlog passes out his observations. "The passage slope downward here. Also, from what I can see, this place has been modified throughout the years. Hopefully, that doesn't imply traps."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"We had a gardener at the temple who liked to say 'Trust in the Gods, but check for gopher holes anyway'" Bydar smiles at the dwarf.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

After taking his own advice and picking up the supplies he felt were needed. Christian makes his way into the cavern with the others. Looking at his own weapons, he elects to leave his pole weapon behind.
Not sure how effective this will be underground. I am going to be hard press with the sword as it is.

He is about to say the he would take the rear guard but stops and looks at Bydar for a moment.
We will take rear guard..

He looks at the glaive that the cleric is carrying. Resting a reassuring hand on his shoulder, the young mercenary looks him in the eyes.
We got this. If trouble comes our way...Keep behind me and use that weapons reach to the best of your ability. Call out the left, right, high, low with your attacks so I know how best to square my hips. Keep your head about you and we will work in tangent just fine. A little light if you can please.


The axe-emblazoned door was set in an eastern wall of the fort's cellar, and the entrance tunnel proceeds at a straight slope. Thus, the first intersection offers passage to the north, south, and further east; however, these new tunnels do not run straight like the first and instead begin to curve. The ioun torch orbiting Mr. Black, along with any other light sources the party ignites, cast long, bobbing shadows across the curving walls.

The bones at the intersection are tiny and fragile, appearing to be the remains of rats and other small animals that perished some time ago. However, you discover dried smatterings of blood upon the stone that appears far more recent.

Choose whether to start by going north, east, or south, and we'll see what you discover...


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp 60/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Eyeing the intersection Brandt ponders the ways for a moment, looking at each of the ancient tunnels in turn, Brandt speculates, "Left, and make a mark? Just start there and treat each tunnel in order from left to right?"

Brandt points down the southern tunnel with a shrug.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Shortly after the others arrive, Mr. Pink completes his tiny arrangement of animal bones on the floor near the southern passage of the intersection. It is a runic letter from the ancient Iobarian alphabet similar to an "S" in the common tongue. He collects enough small bones to create many more such markers, storing them in his adventurer's sash. Lastly, he pens the corresponding note in his journal before concurring with Brandt. It is unclear whether he was actually paying attention to man's words or simply shared the same opinion.

Yes! Left is always right!

"South is sure and safe. Feels like flying freely on a forgiving fair-wind."

Mr. Pink commands his familiar to continue in their previous scouting pattern as he once again readies his shortbow and follows along silently in the fading light.


Southern Route Encounter: 1d10 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6

You turn and follow the path that branches to the south. The tunnel curves and bends erratically, showing even more clear signs of having been reshaped over the centuries - the stones do not line up perfectly, or there is an uneven lip where the floor drops or rises by an inch or two.

You plumb these depths until Mr. Black double backs and returns from his scouting. The bird flaps his wings and caws excitedly, having discovered something. Following him back down the passage, you discover the corpse of a halfling, dressed in the gear of an explorer or adventurer, lying against the foot of the tunnel wall.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink searches over the halfling corpse for valuables or any other noteworthy items.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24


Dead Party Member: 1d3 ⇒ 3

Between the lack of armor and the scrolls sticking out of this ill-fated adventurer's torn backpack, Mr. Pink reaches the conclusion that this was once some manner of spellcaster. This prospect makes him all the more eager to rifle through his potentially magical gewgaws. The golden brooch upon his vest, adorned with small pearls, particularly draws Mr. Pink's attention

Loot:

Small Dagger
Small Light Crossbow
8 MWK Bolts
7 Scrolls
2 Cure Light Wounds potions (labeled)
2 Alchemist's Fire flasks
2 Thunderstones
2 Smokesticks
Magic Brooch
Spellbook
67gp

301 to 350 of 593 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Saga of a New Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.