Saga of a New Land

Game Master vayelan

A Kingmaker campaign of politics, intrigue, and war.

Maps:
Greenbelt Map
Stolen Lands Map
The Abandoned Fort

Encounter Map: Labyrinth Ambush
Party Loot

Resources:
Kingdom Tracker Spreadsheet
Kingdom Building Rules
Kingdom Turn Sequence
Buildings


401 to 450 of 502 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

Forgot to move my token from last round. I should've have been next to Christian before he charged down the stair.

Seeing Lord Christian charges down the stair, Orlog can't believe what he is seeing. "What are you..." Then the young noble gets hit multiple times and looks like he might not survive this fight. Great, we avoided an ambush and man almost gets killed in the first second of the fight. "Bydar, try to get to Lord Christian." Calling upon his god again, Orlog activate one of his spells to increase his strength. "Face me, you evil creatures."

Warhammer: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 1 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Using 1 Fervor to cast Bull Strength as a free action.
How high are the stair? If possible, Orlog will just jump down from one level to another to reach the red monster.

Current Buff: +1 Ac and Saves, +4 Strength


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Orlog BrightShield wrote:

"Bydar, try to get to Lord Christian." Calling upon his god again, Orlog activate one of his spells to increase his strength. "Face me, you evil creatures."

"I see him, I see him," Bydar says alarmed and races after Lord Christian though the fellow has taken the 'short cut' and dropped a good ten feet, with that, Bydar is pretty sure he can't reach him. What he can do though is help a little now then try to get to the fellow next time.

"May the warmth of Shelyn's smile shine" and something akin to a warm glow with the sound of song birds expands, and while not much, some of Lord Christian's wounds will heal.

Selective channeling, so the bad guys that would be in range won't get the healing. 2d6 ⇒ (6, 3) = 9

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink springs to life with his blades defensively spinning. He takes advantage of Orlog's distraction and drops down into a flanking position behind one of the single-eyed ambushers. He stands only on a single leg.

Swift Action - Assume Crane Style per the feat (duration up to 7 rounds/day). Standard Action - Total defense = AC 25 until next turn. Move Action - 25' behind Blue w/ Acrobatics to soften the fall, ignoring the first 10'. Mr. Black circles to the north just out of reach to continue providing light for the group.

Mr. Pink Acrobatics to soften a fall: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt will delay to see what happens with the monster actions, but will likely be closing to melee combat with one of them.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Taking the hits as he goes, christian gives a heartfelt thank you for the healing.
Feeling better, Thanks Bydar.

Seeing that the large creature is still standing, the mercenary leader doubles up his grip. Christian adjusts his stance and brings his weapon back up and across the front of his target with a double handed slash.
Attack w/Bless, PA two handed: 1d20 + 5 + 1 - 2 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 1 - 2 - 1 = 17
Damage w/Challenge, PA two handed, Precise Strike: 1d10 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 4 + 6 + 4 = 18


Orlog - The upper tier of stairs is about six feet up, and the lower tier is about three feet up. You can jump without risk of harm.
Mr. Pink - Since there is no risk of falling damage, we can use your high acrobatics check to get you around the blue enemy without taking an AoO.

Orlog leaps down from the six foot height of the shallow stairs and comes to Lord Christian's aid. The warpriest's hammer blow cracks the beast's sternum and leaps him a crumpled heap upon the floor.

DM Screen:

Blue Greataxe vs Orlog: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Damage: 3d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 4, 1) + 6 = 13
Blue Greataxe vs Orlog: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Orange Greatclub vs Mr. Pink: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Crit Confirm?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Damage: 4d8 + 6 ⇒ (2, 3, 8, 4) + 6 = 23
Orange Greatclub vs Mr. Pink: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

The enemy now at the forefront, a rusting greataxe in his furred knuckles, raises his weapon and swings at the dwarf that now appears in front of him. He scores a not insignificant blow on the first swing, but Orlog's divine protections shield him from the follow-up swing.

The enemy at the back, clutching a crude stone club of great size, eagerly seizes upon the opportunity presented as the birdman also leaps down near at hand. He reels back and delivers a terrible wallop that threatens to break Mr. Pink's arm. Thankfully, the tengu recovers quickly enough to easily evade the clumsy second swing.

Orlog finishes off Red, but Blue deals 13 damage to Orlog in return.
Lord Christian's attack is redirected towards Blue and wounds him.
Orange, unfortunately, scores a crit against Mr. Pink and deals 23 damage to him.
Brandt can post his action now, followed by Orlog, Bydar, and Mr. Pink.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

"Good, keep the healing coming Bydar, they are tougher then they look." Orlog turns to face the second foe, but his attack isn't as powerfull as he would like.

Warhammer: 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 8 + 1 + 2 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt discards his mighty longbow, pulling the Ulfen axe from his back and closing with the closest brute, Fenrir loyally follows and bites at the giant creature's ankle.

Move and Power attack

Power Attack + Flanking + Bless: 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 2 + 1 + 2 = 24
Damage: 1d12 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Fenrir Attack + Bless: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 1 = 24
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Crit Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Aye, Orlog, I hear ..." And then one Mr. Pink gets brutalized, "Mr. Pink!"
And suddenly the plan changes, Bydar moves past the dog down the stairs, risking a strike if need be to get close enough to mister pink to aid him too.

I think I'm risking an AOO here, but so be it. Hopefully the channel will get everyone with 30 foot reach and might help Bydar too if he gets hit after he moves but before he channels. Selective, so we shouldn't be healing the bad guys.

Folks healed for 2d6 ⇒ (2, 5) = 7


As he invokes yet more divine power from the Eternal Rose, Bydar is protected from reprisal by Brandt and Fenrir. The combined assault of the Ulfen ranger's axe and his wolfdog's mighty bite spell the end for the second of the strange labyrinth inhabitants. The dull metallic thud of the foe's axe hitting the stone tiles is drowned out by the other sounds of battle.

Only one enemy left. Mr. Pink and Christian can all act before Orange.

Orlog - since Brandt and Fenrir's attacks would kill Blue before your turn, do you want to add a move action so you can redirect your attack against Orange?

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

GM:
I'll take the hand slap for peeking behind the GM screen... but a 22 should not have confirmed a critical against Mr. Pink's 25 AC. I don't mind taking the extra damage for now since this combat will likely be over very soon. I'll consider it a fair trade for the missed AoO from Blue.

Mr. Pink remains unnervingly steady on one leg despite the heavy blow from the club and awaits his opportunity to counter attack.

Mr. Pink will delay until one of his companions move in to provide a flank (either Orlog or Christian).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

On my phone at work. Please move me to provide flanking with Mr. Pink.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

GM:
Assuming that Orlog survives an AoO from Orange and makes it to his destination...

Mr. Pink hops forward in concert with Orlog's keen battle movements and brings forth a flurry of fierce blades and a sharp beak upon the last remaining opponent. Mr. Black continues flying around in a slow, circular pattern to provide illumination to the area.

Aldori Dueling Sword/Two Weapon Defensive Fighting w/ Crane Style (-4) + PA (-2) + Flanking (+2) + Bless (+1): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage w/ Sneak Attack: 1d8 + 9 + 2d6 ⇒ (6) + 9 + (5, 1) = 21

MW Cold-Iron Short Sword/Two Weapon Defensive Fighting w/ Crane Style (-4) + PA (-2) + Flanking (+2) + Bless (+1): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Critical Confirmation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Critical Damage w/ Sneak Attack: 4d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 6, 4, 6) + 4 = 26

Bite Attack/Secondary Natural Weapon (-5) Defensive Fighting w/ Crane Style (-2) + PA (-2) + Flanking (+2) + Bless (+1): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Damage w/ Sneak Attack: 1d3 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (1, 1) = 5

I moved Orlog's token 20' SE for the flank :). Free Action - 5' Step SE to get flanking w/ Orlog. Full Attack Action using two-weapon fighting defensively w/ Crane Style and Power Attack. AC = 22 until next round. If any sneak attacks hit, I would apply the Disoriented (-2 attack, -4 vs the rogue) Debilitating Injury to the creature with a duration of 1 round/hit.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Christian sees that two of the brutes are down and he decides to charge at the remaining creature in hopes that that are able to cut it down before anyone else gets hurt.

Attack w/Bless,PA: 1d20 + 9 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 1 - 2 = 25
Damage w/PA, Precise Strike: 1d10 + 3 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 4 + 4 = 12


Mr. Pink:
It is quite all right. Thank you for correcting my mistake. As I was doing the accounting, I neglected to account for your Total Defense. Honestly, I primarily use "DM Screen" spoilers to keep the dice rolls from cluttering my posts. I actually encourage players to have a peek to check my math.

Correction: Thanks to Mr. Pink's Total Defense, the crit against him would not have confirmed, so we would only take 8 damage.

Dice Rolls:

Orange AoO vs Orlog: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Damage: 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (4, 6) + 6 = 16

Orlog presses forward against the remaining horned, cyclopean beast and endures a thump of the foe's greatclub to deliver his own warhammer blow. Of course, by enduring this pain he provides a critical advantage that seals victory for his band. Distracted by the flanking dwarf, the enemy is blind to the deadly assault unleashed by the tengu at his back.

With steel and beak, Mr. Pink ensures that the beast is already toppling to the ground as Lord Christian barrels forward and delivers a blow that removes the horned head from his shaggy shoulders. Thus is the battle won.

Orlog would take 16 damage from an AoO, but he would then recover 7 HP from Bydar's healing, which occurs after he moves.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Praise Shelyn, none of us dead and the enemy down," Bydar looks over each wounded. "How fare you?"

Who's down what? :)


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

Orlog smiles at the group. "That was a good fight. We will need to better coordinate our attacks, but we won and the enemy didn't. Now, let's see what they were up too and if they were the only ones here." Orlog starts looking at the room, inspecting it for any clue he can find.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

Orlog is at 50% but he will let the others get some healing first since he as his own healing abilities.


Immediately, Orlog concludes that this is the creatures' lair.

The underground air is perfumed with damp earth and fur. In one of the far corners, roots have broken through from above and pried their way through the ceiling's masonry. Cracked and chipped stoneware, clearly of ancient origin, has been arranged beneath to collect the droplets of water that run down these roots. Other pieces of old pottery store dried meat of indeterminate origin, herbs, and pungent root vegetables.

The bodies of two more halfling adventurers - one man and one woman - are on display, hanging upside down from hooks hammered into the stone walls. They have been stripped naked, but other than the battle wounds that slew them, they have not been cut or molested.

The "bedding" that fills the corners of the lair appear far newer than anything else in the chamber, so it does not take long to discover that it consists of items taken from the slain adventurers. Cloaks, vests, breeches, scarves, jackets, and even a number of scrolls have been heaped together like straw pallets.

The adventurers' sturdier, shinier goods - along with a few other trinkets of visibly older age - have been arranged in an almost shrine-like fashion at the center of the far chamber. Atop the center of this "shrine" is an ancient cyclopean skull, one too large to have been from the creatures you just fought, and without the distinctive forehead horn they bear. In fact, placed into a crack in the skull - almost to mimic such a horn - is a glowing torch that sheds its light across the stone walls but offers no heat.

Loot:

156gp in Modern Coinage
129gp in old Iobarian Coinage
Feather Token (Bird)
8 Scrolls
2 Potions
+1 Studded Leather Armor
+1 Chain Shirt
MWK Rapier (Small)
MWK Shortsword (Small)
Bent Silver Holy Symbol
Broken Wooden Holy Symbol
Broken Light Crossbow
2 Flasks of Alchemists Fire
1 Everburning Torch
1 empty Flask of Holy Water
Fragments of 2 broken flasks of Alchemists Fire
2 broken, spent Smokesticks
MWK Thieves' Tools
The contents of a Healer's Kit and Disguise Kit, ruined and strewn about the lair.
Assorted broken iron weapons
Assorted rotted, rusted armor


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt removes them dead adventurers from the iron spike, Poor buggers were overmatched in here, but who knows what their intent was. Seems like these things worshipped this old skull. I’m just glad we did not run into this bigger thing ourselves. We should press on, I wager there are more unexpected surprises down here.

Looking over the assembled loot, does anyone need any of these things? Figure out how to sell whatever we don’t need here?


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

We should take what is needed and place everything else in a pile. We can return later to take those items with us as we leave.

Christian looks down at the pile of items...
We might be able to use to token to find another way out if we get lost. Just a thought...Mr. Pink might be able to use the tools. We should figure out what those scrolls are and those potions. It can only help in the future. I feel that we should take the alchemist fires with us as well. Split them up. The torch may come in handy and help to spare some magic.

He walks over to the two corpses...closing his eyes.
...you may rest now.

Opening his eyes he looks over the bodies.
How long have they been here? Three Halflings we have found down here. The first looked to be a spellcaster..judging form the equipment. These two appear to be a rogue and maybe a priest. There appears to be equipment for two here. I have know halflings and they are not stupid people...very cunning. So where is the protection. The muscle. I highly doubt that they came down here with three. We may have more corpse to find or just maybe to rescue.

Christian looks around the room trying to figure out just what happened here.
We really should try to identify all the items we have so far. Take what we need and leave what we do not.

Combined Loot:

MWK Rapier (Small)
MWK Shortsword (Small)
Small Dagger
Small Light Crossbow
8 MWK Bolts
15 Scrolls
2 Potions
2 Cure Light Wounds potions (labeled)
4 Alchemist's Fire flasks
1 empty Flask of Holy Water
Fragments of 2 broken flasks of Alchemists Fire
2 Thunderstones
2 Smokesticks
2 broken, spent Smokesticks
Feather Token (Bird)
Magic Brooch
Spellbook
+1 Studded Leather Armor
+1 Chain Shirt
Bent Silver Holy Symbol
Broken Wooden Holy Symbol
Broken Light Crossbow
1 Everburning Torch
MWK Thieves' Tools
The contents of a Healer's Kit and Disguise Kit, ruined and strewn about the lair.
Assorted broken iron weapons
Assorted rotted, rusted armor
67gp
156gp in Modern Coinage
129gp in old Iobarian Coinage

Can anyone tell me how old the coins form the first halfing are?

The young human rubs his chin for a bit
What was the holy water used on. Could it be these creatures destroyed anything that is not of their religion. I mean look at the condition of the holy symbols.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

With none answering how they fare, Bydar turns his attenion to the dead, and the objects to determine their faith

Religion 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

"I can give a more proper last rights and burial above later but if you think there is someone in need of rescue now, we may not tally." Though he can't help but notice the healer kit scattered about.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Sorry Bydar, I missed that and another one. My apologies as I do not like to miss things like that.

Bydar wrote:
"Praise Shelyn, none of us dead and the enemy down," Bydar looks over each wounded. "How fare you?"

I thank you for the aid. I have some bruises but other than that I am fine to move forward.

Orlog BrightShield wrote:
Orlog smiles at the group. "That was a good fight. We will need to better coordinate our attacks, but we won and the enemy didn't. Now, let's see what they were up too and if they were the only ones here." Orlog starts looking at the room, inspecting it for any clue he can find.

Orlog has the right of it. We did well but in time we will do better. If you are in need of healing...Speak up now before we head out. Bydar I thank you for your concerns and I am most thankful that your healing is here for all of us.

Seeing the dwarf searching the room give Christian the idea that maybe more eyes on the area will help. So he joins in the search of the room
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
My skills at tracking and seeing those signs is limited at best but more eyes can not hurt.

Bydar wrote:


"I can give a more proper last rights and burial above later but if you think there is someone in need of rescue now, we may not tally." Though he can't help but notice the healer kit scattered about.

I think it would be proper and I agree that burial can wait for now. I do not agree with the desecration of a body. Enemy or not all deserve to be treated with respect and sent to their maker with dignity. Even these one eyed creatures deserve such.


Sorry for the delay in updating. This weekend kicked my butt.

The silver holy symbol - a small and stylistic depiction of a butterfly, although its wings are now painfully bent - is clearly dedicated to Desna. The other, wooden symbol - although now quite broken - depicts a notched shortsword. This dedication is unfamiliar to Bydar.

Knowledge (Religion) DC 18:
A shortsword with three notches is the symbol of Chaldira Zuzaristan, a halfling demigoddess of luck and mischief. She is revered only within the halfling community, although she is regarded as a close friend of Desna.

The coins carried by the first slain halfling adventurer are of similar mintage as those you find here, representing contemporary Brevic, River Kingdoms, and even Taldan coinage. This, coupled with the condition of the bodies and equipment, leads you to conclude that they were part of the same band - having recently venturing into these labyrinthine halls together and meeting their grisly ends within perhaps only hours of each other.

Lord Christian makes an important discovery. Bones lie throughout the conjoined chambers. Some are small, clearly belonging to rabbits, voles, or other burrowing creatures these monsters had caught and fed upon. These bones are scattered haphazardly.

Another, larger set of bones - treated with more reverence - have been incorporated into the "shrine" itself. You safely conclude that these represent deceased specimens of the creatures you just fought.

Bydar:

Assuming you take 10 on Heal:

These bones are much younger than the skull atop the altar. While these femurs and ribs are only a few years old, the skull has been here for perhaps centuries.

Orlog:

Assuming you take 10 on Heal:
These bones are much younger than the skull atop the altar. While these femurs and ribs are only a few years old, the skull has been here for perhaps centuries.

Thanks to ranks in Craft (Weapons and Armor):
The old, ruined weapons heaped together in this crude "shrine" - along with the greataxe wielded by one of the horned, one-eyed beastmen - are of commensurate age as these halls. They are relics of the old, fallen empires that built and expanded these tunnels. They have been used and reused over the centuries without proper care.

Lord Christian:

Based upon Perception check and ranks in Profession (Soldier):

In your time, you've seen many encampments of both man and monster. Thus, you have a knack for gauging a force's strength by the number of sleeping places and the size of cookfires. The lack of any semblance of order, coupled with these creatures' primitive habits, makes the task exceptionally difficult. Nevertheless, you conclude that this "tribe" likely did not consist of merely three individuals.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

A nod to Lord Christian and then he says...
"I'm embarrassed to say I don't recognize this holy symbol at all." But as he looks over the bones and skull, he raises a brow, "That said, the leg bones and ribs and such here... they've been here a few years at the most. The skull? It may have lingered here for centuries."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Scratching his head at Bydar’s information, Well, you can’t know all of the gods out there? I lose track after five myself. . Considering the information about the bones, like there are generations of these things here?

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Sorry for the delay as well. It's been very busy for me lately. I'll try my best to keep up.

Bydar wrote:
Who's down what? :)

Mr. Black was unharmed and Mr. Pink should only be down 1 HP after your second channel. All good here.

Mr. Pink once again assumes his normal posture, cleans his blades with his own stained robes and puts them away neatly. Mr. Black flies down, perching atop Mr. Pink's bamboo hat and checks to make sure all his body parts are still intact as he begins a lengthy preening ritual.

Mr. Pink approaches Orlog and offers him a potion of cure light wounds recently acquired from one of these unfortunate halflings.

"Please permit a pause in our plight and my praise to your prowess, proud paladin."

Afterwards, Mr. Pink will take the time to inspect the modest horde of these creatures as instructed by Lord Christian. In particular, the coins, followed by the potions and lastly the scrolls.

Appraise ancient coins:
Appraise: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

Identify Potions w/ Perception:
Perception to identify 1st potion: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15
Perception to identify 2nd potion: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

Identify Scrolls w/ Spellcraft:
Spellcraft to identify 1st Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Spellcraft to identify 2nd Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Spellcraft to identify 3rd Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Spellcraft to identify 4th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Spellcraft to identify 5th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Spellcraft to identify 6th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Spellcraft to identify 7th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Spellcraft to identify 8th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Spellcraft to identify 9th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Spellcraft to identify 10th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Spellcraft to identify 11th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Spellcraft to identify 12th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Spellcraft to identify 13th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Spellcraft to identify 14th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Spellcraft to identify 15th Scroll: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Loot Recap:
Mr. Pink took the spellbook (for some light reading later), 1 Potion of Cure Light Wounds, 1 Alchemist's Fire, 1 Thunderstone (now spent) and 1 Smokestick from the previous loot pile.

At this point, he would take the other Thunderstone and potentially one of the potions once identified.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

Bending down to inspect the broken weapons. "These are almost as old as the tunnels themselves. These creatures have been living here for a long time." As the Tengu offers him a potion, Orlog raises an eyebrow. Looking at the wounds he still has, he looks back at the Tengu. "Save the potion, I got something to fix this." He puts down his pack and dig into it. Taking out a simple wand, he activates it a few times and completely heal himself. Putting his pack back on, he walks over to Bydar and pass him the wand. "Here, you should keep this for now."

K. Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Wand CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Wand CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Wand CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Wand CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Christian looks around several times before he stops and looks at the group.

He points at the shrine and the large bones
Maybe this is a burial chamber of sort. The seem to show some respect for their decease here.

He looks around one more time before speaking up again.
I think that this is not all of them...there are more around here somewhere.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Quote:
Scratching his head at Bydar’s information, Well, you can’t know all of the gods out there? I lose track after five myself. . Considering the information about the bones, like there are generations of these things here?

A smile at Brandt, "Well, I am in an eclesastical calling so I've studied more. It's possible the faith in question is more regional to the river lands but I think I'll just try to learn later."

Quote:
"Here, you should keep this for now."

Bydar takes the wand, impressed by it, "Well definitely this is useful to anyone. While I long to bury these bodies properly I suppose we should go."

"As for the healer's kit, it might be of good use to the community we hope to form. This bird on the coin intrigues me," If it is a song bird in form he might even see it as an omen. A good one.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

"So, there is more of them." Orlog ponders after hearing Christian's words. "Well then, when ever you are all ready to continu, we should get a move on to flush the rest of them out." He turns once again toward their scout. "Mr. Pink, if you will scout the way for us."


Mr. Pink makes good headway identifying the magical gewgaws recovered from the ill-fated halflings. Of the accumulated scrolls, the slain halfling wizard carried duplicates, making it easier to identify them. He has a tougher time deciphering the eclectic mix carried by this presumed priest and rogue.

Identified Items:

Potion of Invisibility
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
2 Scrolls of Disguise Self
2 Scrolls of Expeditious Retreat
Scroll of Invisibility
2 Scrolls of Obscuring Mist

Scroll of Bless
Scroll of Cure Light Wounds

Six of the scrolls now remain unidentified

The Iobarian coins are worn and tarnished, and such old coinage remains relatively common in Brevoy, as the nation sits so close to the source. Thus, the old currency would not be of interest to collectors or historians. Nevertheless, they remain legal tender in the region, owing to the frequency with which explorers and adventurers bring them back from old ruins in and around Brevoy.

The Iobarian coins are worth face value. Differentiating them mainly serves for lore flavor, indicating that these horned creatures collected both modern coins from their victims and old coins left behind in these ruins.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink shares his findings with the group freely. He takes the potion of invisibility as well as a second potion of cure light wounds and tucks them into a pocket on his sash. The original potion of cure light wounds is returned to its home in Mr. Pink's spring loaded wrist sheath.

"Thoughtfully take these treasures. Onward our adventure awaits."

He marks this location in his black journal and prepares to continue on.

Tengu:
"Take the stone and steel yourself for danger. Do not stray far from sight."

Mr. Black picks up a new thunderstone from his master and takes flight once again. Mr. Pink follows along in the shadows with his shortbow once again at the ready.

Back to my original scouting tactic w/ a readied Thunderstone on Mr. Black. Scouting Tactic: Mr. Black is acting as both a decoy and a light source (20' radius normal light, another 20' dim light). He is taking 10 on Fly checks to fly only 15' per round. This should allow Mr. Pink to follow stealthily in the dim-light 30' behind at a rate of 15' per round as well. Both Mr. Black and Mr. Pink have low-light vision which doubles the range of the visible dim-light for their eyes (20' normal light, 40' dim light). Taking 10 on Perception & Stealth unless something noteworthy gives us pause, such as Trap Spotter (Mr. Black Perception = 19, Mr. Pink Perception = 21, Mr. Pink Stealth = 23).


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar resumes his position, "Well, this has been both horrific and exciting and we've only just begun."


Another passage, other than the way you came, leads off from one half of these creatures' lair. Orlog observes that the long, straight tunnel slopes upward at a barely perceptible grade.

The tunnel ends abruptly with a stone slab, a door much like the one in the cellar of the bandit stronghold that first brought you into this labyrinth. A quick examination proves that the door is neither trapped nor locked - any mechanism the old Iobarians might have fitted it with would have long since rusted away, while the horned beastmen seem ill-suited to create any such devices of their own.

Pushing the stone door open, you confirm the budding suspicions nurtured by some of the more observant and geographically apt among you - this exit leads to the second door discovered some quarter mile west the fort. It opens out of the face of an overhanging hillock that looks down upon the Skunk River before it feeds into the Tuskwater.

Having discovered an escape route from the labyrinth, you are faced with the choice of returning to the surface or backtracking and examining one of the other two passages you previously encountered - the one carrying an earthy smell, or the one carrying a perfumed smell.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

How are we holding up, I’m set to continue to explore down here today, more songs will be sung of our deeds lads. Brandt motions back into the darkness.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar stares for a moment at the door that opens to the face of the overhanging hiloock on the river, "Well, that's just lovely. There's a beauty to the river that..." Then he realize he's drifting

"I agree with Brand, if we can we should explore and deal with any other threats lest they escape out and endanger folk"

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Black flies around in the open for several moments, clearly enjoying the fresh air. Mr. Pink caws loudly and in concordance with the desires of the others to return to the labyrinth.

"Young is our yearning. You'll not yield this yore yet."

Empathically, more than through any verbal understanding, Mr. Black returns to the dark passageway as warily as before followed by Mr. Pink.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

Now outside, Orlog takes a moment to try and identify the magical loot that was found earlier.

Spellcraft vs Magic Brooch: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Spellcraft vs Scroll 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Spellcraft vs Scroll 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Spellcraft vs Scroll 3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Spellcraft vs Scroll 4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Spellcraft vs Scroll 5: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Spellcraft vs Scroll 6: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Well, I gave it a try.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Nodding his approval
I concur

We now have secured two fronts...each with a way out. We have our exit strategy well in hand. We should now concentrate on clearing this place out.

LOOT:

MWK Rapier (Small)
MWK Shortsword (Small)
Small Dagger
Small Light Crossbow
8 MWK Bolts
6 Scrolls remain unidentified
2 Scrolls of Disguise Self
2 Scrolls of Expeditious Retreat
Scroll of Invisibility
2 Scrolls of Obscuring Mist
Scroll of Bless
Scroll of Cure Light Wounds
Potion of Invisibiity (MR PINK)
Cure Moderate Wounds potion (CHRISTIAN)
Cure Light Wounds potion (MR PINK)
Cure Light Wounds potion
Alchemist's Fire flasks (CHRISTIAN)
3 Alchemist's Fire flasks
1 empty Flask of Holy Water
Fragments of 2 broken flasks of Alchemists Fire
2 Thunderstones (MR PINK)
2 Smokesticks
2 broken, spent Smokesticks
Feather Token (Bird) (BYDAR)
Magic Brooch
Spellbook
+1 Studded Leather Armor
+1 Chain Shirt
Bent Silver Holy Symbol
Broken Wooden Holy Symbol
Broken Light Crossbow
1 Everburning Torch
MWK Thieves' Tools
The contents of a Healer's Kit and Disguise Kit, ruined and strewn about the lair.
Assorted broken iron weapons
Assorted rotted, rusted armor
352gp of of assorted Modern Coinage and Iobarian coins.

Looking down at the items that they have collected.
I will keep these two items on myself if no one objects.
I am taking the cure mod potion and 1 alchemist fire.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

"Agreed Lad, maybe I should take one of those myself in case we run into more trouble in the coming hours. Brandt says, holding a potion of cure light wounds. I suppose it never hurts to be careful, especially given there may be more of those things down there.

One Cure Light Wounds potion to Brandt


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Yes, I think it's wise to have the potions that allow healing to go to those of you not as in direct favor with the gods."

He will glance over the scrolls if he sees Orlogg has had trouble

"Not my strong point but."

Spellcraft on scroll 1 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
[ooc]Spellcraft on scroll 2 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Spellcraft on scroll 3 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Spellcraft on scroll 5 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Shrugging his shoulders, Brandt offers to look at the scrolls which are proving to be challenging:

Spellcraft scroll 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
spellcraft scroll 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
spellcraft scroll 3: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
spellcraft scroll 5: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Well three of these are proving to be challenging, but I think I figured this one out....


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

And our crappy spellcraft check is why we need an arcane party member.

"Ok, let's clear the rest of this place. Mr. Pink, we will follow your lead, but the moment we encounter anything agressive, I take point." Orlog re strap his shield and get his warhammer ready.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Turning his attention towards the two other passages. Christian starts to walk towards the one that smells of perfume.

Mr. Pink...if you are ready. I think this passage is as good as any.


Identifying the brooch proves to be a simple matter for Orlog, who almost immediately recognizes it as a Brooch of Shielding. Furthermore, the combined efforts of Orlog, Bydar, and Brandt manage to deduce the properties of all but one of the scrolls.

Using Brandt's rolls for scrolls 1 and 5 as Aid Another rolls for Bydar, and Orlog's roll for scroll 5 as an Aid Another roll also.

The trio, pooling their magical acumen, identify them as scrolls of Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Cure Moderate Wounds, Darkness, and Find Traps. The halfling adventurers may have met a terrible fate, but it was not necessarily for lack of preparation, judging by the array of scrolls they carried.

Since no one voiced a preference, I hope you don't mind if I expedite the choice between the two remaining paths.

You soon find yourselves back at the junction of tunnels, the leftmost of which led you to the beastmen's lair. You opt for the righthand passage next, the one that smelled of wet earth. You are not long down this path before you discover moss growing fecund upon the damp stonework. Estimating your path underground, it seems impossible that this branch should stray beneath the river or lake, but it may pass near a tributary creek or aquifer.

This moisture has weakened the earth holding the stones, and the tunnel ends abruptly in a collapse of wet soil and broken stones. Strangely, though, it is not entirely a dead end. An almost ramp-like formation has been shaped from the collapsed soil, and it appears that something has repeatedly burrowed through the ground above - only for it to collapse again and reseal the away. It remains difficult to judge whether this was the work of a burrowing animal or if perhaps the beastmen used this as an improvised exit from their halls.

Retracing your steps again, you return to the junction with only the center tunnel to explore - leaving you to discover the source of the sweet, perfume-like aroma that wafts down from its length.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

"Well, let's see what lay down this way." Orlog waits for the tengu to start scouting ahead, then follow him in the tunnel.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar nods and makes sure to hold his position behind the warriors so he can use his glaive to best effect if need be.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Black flies onward and Mr. Pink follows in the usual way. This time, quite a bit more cautiously as they approach the source of the mysterious smell.

Taking 20 perception checks instead of the usual 10. (Mr. Black = 29, Mr. Pink = 31)


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Walking next to Orlogg and Christian, What do you think could cause the smell of perfume to hang in this hallway? Brandt asks, setting a new arrow into his bow.

401 to 450 of 502 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Saga of a New Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.