Saga of a New Land

Game Master vayelan

A Kingmaker campaign of politics, intrigue, and war.

Maps:
Greenbelt Map
Stolen Lands Map
The Abandoned Fort

Encounter Map: Labyrinth Ambush
Party Loot

Resources:
Kingdom Tracker Spreadsheet
Kingdom Building Rules
Kingdom Turn Sequence
Buildings


551 to 600 of 731 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Nodding at Christian's words, Brandt offers the halfling a hand to his feet and waits for Mr. Pink and Mr. Black to resume the point. Fenrir awaits by his master's side.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink nods at Christian and leads the way back to the fort as he remembers it.

"How will the commoners react to our new "friends"? Perhaps they will trust in our Lord's decision. Perhaps not. We will see."


Mr. Pink, with his familiar continuing to serve as feathered vanguard, leads the way - with Fenrir guarding the rear. You pick your way through the tunnels, back to one of the discovered doors, emblazoned with the axe emblem. Pushing open this ancient "back door," you step out of a kame - one of the rocky hills, covered in yellow grass, that give the Kamelands their name - overlooking the river.

Night has fallen. Tracing the positions of stars, and correlating this with the torches upon the reclaimed fort in the distance, you determine that you stand along the southernmost stretch of the Shrike River, just a quarter mile north of the fort.

Your sudden appearance back on the surface spooks a pair of wild horses grazing nearby, sending them galloping eastward.

Sapphira breathes deep the nocturnal air, savoring its freshness.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Orlog looks at the sky. "Night time already? Time flies when you are underground." He looks over the horizon. "Well, we aren't too far away from the fort. Shall we head back home for a well deserve rest?" He takes a more relax stance as he walks a few step toward the fort.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Stretching from the exertion as much as a desire to not be in a tunnel, Brandt says, Aye, lets return to the fort and get a hot meal and some rest before we reenter the tunnels in the morning

Brandt will close the entryway behind the group and head for the fort unless anyone has a better suggestion.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You approach the tents pitched at the foot of the hill cradling the fort, and your return casts the camp into a tizzy of activity, like an agitated beehive. Watch patrols snap to attention, and voices pass along news of your arrival. Sapphira lags behind, at the rear of your troupe, quite conscious of the eyes landing upon her like arrows.

Captain Garess is the first to greet you. The torch in his hand casts a light that leaves him looking even more haggard and gloomy than when you left. A woman follows behind him. At first you think it may be Vera, but as she draws closer, you see that it is someone new.

"Welcome back," Garess says without a hint of enthusiasm. "While you were gone, a new arrival talked her way into the camp."

He shifts his slumped shoulders and turns towards the guest behind him. She is a slight woman, with her long, black hair - including a streak of white - tied in a single braid over one shoulder. Her eyes move constantly, trying to take in everything around her. When she affixes one of you with her intense blue eyes, you notice that her left iris is completely colorless.

Take it away, Syretia. Time for your debut!


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar has grown thoughtful, but made sure the halfling gent was tended to on the trip, and when they hit the night air, he too smiled.

Then, the newcomer is introduced.


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Taking Garres's short greeting as all the introduction she's likely to get, the woman steps forward and performs an almost theatrical bow, complete with a small hand flourish. "I'm so glad to have finally caught up with you! Syretia Courtenay, at your service!" she says, returning to her full (but not particularly considerable) height.

A cursory examination reveals several things. First, and easiest, is the discoloration of her hair and eye. Second, while her traveling clothes are obviously well made, they just as obviously have no signs of wear or grime upon them. They are clearly brand new and have not seen any real use. The third is the brilliantly covered scarf wrapped around her neck and tucked into her clothes. An embroidered image of a songbird is partially obscured by the fabric of her cloak.

Smiling, she resumes speaking, at an almost frantic pace. "Word of your reclamation of this fort reached New Stetven some weeks ago, and I have been following the trail you've left since Restov. I didn't actually know where the fort was, so I had to ask around in Nivakta's Crossing. Awful place, by the way, there was this woman who would not stop touching my hair. Did you really cure a leper? Anyway, Ms Leveton told me she had met you and how to get here. I'm lucky she had a good map for me because wilderness survival is not one of my talents and I was starting to run low on supplies."

Syretia pauses to take a quick breath, before she begins again with a more normal cadence. "Long story short, I made it here, Captain Garess said you were busy, and he's kept me company until your return. Which, thinking about it, you probably figured out by now. The point I'm trying to get to is that I am here to help! You're building a new country, fighting evil, and making the Stolen Lands safe for everyone. That's a quest worthy of anyone and I want to be a part of it."

Finally silent, she tries to gauge the reactions of the party, excitement and anxiety practically radiating away from her.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Grinning at the newcomers introduction Brandt smiles, Greetings Syretia, I am Brandt son of Oluff the Tall. I did not not know our songs were sung so far away from our little fort. Be welcome, let us share a cup of mead from Lord Christian’s excellent stock and talk!

Brandt casts a grin at Christian, as he’s just offered up the lord’s mead and cocks an eyebrow at him. Looking to Fenrir, This overly furry one is Fenrir, and he puts up with me. He’s a great boy, and a stalwart companion. I’ll let those more skilled at taking introduce our newest companions though. his broad hand waves toward Narthropple and the mysterious lady.

Stopping for barely a moment Brandt continues, as if too long in the stress of the catacombs has loosened his tongue like whiskey, Say, do you happen to know anything about Magical things? We’ve located some things and know nothing of them, if you could help that would be greatly appreciated!

Abruptly realizing he may have said too much Brandt blushes under his beard and looks to the others to carry the day in conversation.


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Brandt's welcoming greeting causes Syretia to visibly relax, and she returns his smile with one of her own. "I do! I might be no good at hunting, but put a magical mystery in front of me and I'll have it solves in no time. Would you like me to take a look at what you've found?"

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

The tengu's ragged appearance has not improved over the period of time spent with his trusted companions. His torn sashes and muddied clothing do nothing to compliment his similarly browned and mottled feathers. Contrary to his ragged clothing, a strikingly elegant Aldori dueling sword hangs from a weathered belt in a decorative scabbard. A stark black raven perches atop his chipped bamboo hat.

More new faces in old places. Not unwelcome, this one or unexpected. We must know more.

Mr. Pink spends a moment or two in silent observation before approaching the newcomer and introducing himself with a similarly impressive bowing performance.

"Salutations and smiles to you, sympathetic Syretia. This is Mr. Black and I am called Mr. Pink. We would very much be pleased to hear what you have to think."


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Syretia inclines her head toward Mr. Pink. She thinks for a moment before responding. "An auspicious aptitude for alliteration, Mr. Pink! I'm pleased to meet you. "


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Cure a leper? No, assist.. mitigate some damage..yes." He says with a smile, "Bydar, Cleric of Shelyn. And, thank you for offering to help us. It's much appreciated as Mr. Pink has already said."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian remains quiet as the new women speaks her peace. He keeps his demeanor positive yet neutral. Finally, when she stops talking and looks on at the others, Christian slowly turns his head to each member of the group.

When Brand offers up his stock for consumption...
Well it was not fermented to collect dust. It should be shared and enjoyed.

The handsome young man continues to listen as the others talk. When all have finished.
Welcome Lady Rambeau. I am Lord Christain Del`Agante of Argent Dracos. I suggest you get yourself settled in properly for tomorrow will be a very busy day. I will take you at your word that you can solve magical mysteries in no time at all. Come morning, you will have you first mystery.
He lets a smile cross his face...

Now if you will excuse me, I wish to speak to Captain Garess.

He steps only a few feet away so that all can hear but being polite to not interfere with any other conversations that are going on as he informs the Captain of what was found underneath the fort.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar has been staring thoughtfully, a bit distracted, something Syteria has said sinking in, and thoughts of Cavan come with a weight that he is not sure is his conscience alone.

I think, I think I could do it. It is almost a surprise, a sense of gifting falling on him. Yes. It's possible for me now, by Shelyn's grace, to bestow it.

His eyes turn upon their newest ally, "Syteria, bless you, I think perhaps you were more right than you know. Have you seen Cavan, do you know if he is awake at this hour?"


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Syretia shakes her head a couple times before answering. "I'm afraid I don't know this person. Other than yourselves, Captain Garess is the only person in the camp I've had any time speaking with."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Quite all right. he's the leper you heard of. I think I can , perhaps heal him now." Bydar says, "If my faith is strong enough."


Captain Garess passes his torch to one of his subordinates as he listens to Lord Christian's account. The officer's face tries in vain to hide his fearful astonishment, and he casts his eyes between the stronghold and the ground at his feet, as though one of the beasts will come erupting out of the soil.

"I suggest we seal the door within the fort's cellar and keep a watch on the doors in the surrounding hills," Garess speaks, trying to maintain a tone of authority. "Do you believe the fort is secure?" he asks, clearly unsure himself.

.....

"Good evening," Cavan the carpenter calls with a smile when he sees Bydar approach. In the days since your first meeting, he has kept his head uncovered, relishing the freedom afforded to him.

"I was taking the opportunity to ensure that Restov has not sent us the castoffs of their tools," he says while setting down a framing square he was previously inspecting. He lays it beside a level, hammer, and other tools. "Now that I can hold them securely, I promise I can raise the frames for sturdy buildings."


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Orlog nods at the new arcane member of the team. "Something wrong with your eye? Maybe Bydar can help you with that."

As Lord Christian report on what the group found in the labyrinth, Orlog studies Garess. "Seal the doors in the fort? Those tunnels will provide us so many opportunity that sealing them would be a waste. Most, if not all of the monsters are dead. We will do another sweep tomorrow and eventually repair and uses those tunnels."


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Syretia lets out the practiced laugh of a person used to this and similar questions, giving Orlog a wink with the eye in question. "Oh no, this eye is just fine, thank you. It's the other one you have to watch out for."

----

Once introductions are finished, Syretia elects to follow Bydar on his search for Cavan. She watches the cleric curiously from a respectful distance, curious to see what he intends to do for the carpenter.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
DM Vayelan wrote:

"Good evening," Cavan the carpenter calls with a smile when he sees Bydar approach. In the days since your first meeting, he has kept his head uncovered, relishing the freedom afforded to him.

"I was taking the opportunity to ensure that Restov has not sent us the castoffs of their tools," he says while setting down a framing square he was previously inspecting. He lays it beside a level, hammer, and other tools. "Now that I can hold them securely, I promise I can raise the frames for sturdy buildings."

He admires the work, "Good bones make good body, my teachers used to say. Thank you, Cavan. Cavan, I have news for you, and it may sound like vanity and it is not intended as such. I am ..quite humbled actually. You see, I believe, in the morning, if you like, after I've prayed, I will be able to try to remove your leprosy . Clerics are merely vessels, the gods fill us with what we can handle. My goddess has, I suspect, given me a larger cup. I think I can cure you. It may not be on the first try, but if not the first, then another."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Nodding to Orlogg's words, Brandt supports the Dwarf, Aye Captain, we've got some solid resource there should we be able to shore up the walls and keep it clear for storage, a refuge, and a potential sally port as well. We will need to make certain the exterior is secured, but I think it is of great benefit to us.

Turning to Narthropple, What is it that brought you to these tunnels again? I'm curious if we may have others who seek their riches or how far word has spread of them. Might be useful to us should we face an assault if no one else knows they are there.

Once conversation has subdued for the evening, Brandt will retire and prepare to re-enter the tunnels again in the morning.


With the Carpenter:
A candle upon a wooden stand, set down beside Cavan, casts its dim light, revealing the astonishment upon the carpenter's face. His eyes go wide, the skin grows taut and sallow around them. His lips tighten, and his breath comes in short pulses.

"Please do not tease me so, m'lord," Cavan says. He tries to remain calm, but his words betray his welling excitement. "Do you speak truly? By the heavens, if it is possible...if you can save me from sliding back into what I was?"

He pauses, at a loss and struggling to find the words.

"If you could bestow such a blessing, then I dare say you would have my eternal gratitude, not to mention a loyal craftsman until his dying day."

.....

With Garess and Narthropple:

Captain Garess nods obsequiously, although he remains ill at ease with the thought of unknown depths and strange creatures beneath his feet.

Upon returning to camp, Narthropple plopped himself down upon a bedroll, heedless of who its owner may be. He remains upon his side, only calling upon enough of his atrophied muscles to crane his neck and look to Brandt as he speaks.

"It's bad business to out my employer," he snorts. "Of course, losing my company is undoubtedly the worst turn possible for business."

He closes his eyes and winces, although not necessarily out of physical pain. The halfling sighs, then speaks.

"We were working out of Mivon when we were approached by some ponce trying hard, and failing, to hide that he worked for Irovetti, the king of Pitax. We were probably his way of feeling out the Stolen Lands, testing how well they'd fall beneath his rule. After all, that petty tyrant fancies himself the next Living God, so it makes sense."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

After the others depart, Mr. Pink takes careful note of where Sapphira goes and attempts to follow her at a distance.

Medusas are far too dangerous to be left wandering the kingdom freely.

Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

If caught following:
Mr. Pink will approach the medusa and speak. "Please forgive a forward but friendly followup on freshly found freedom. Wondering who will welcome what wisdom wells within?"

If not caught following:
Mr. Pink will observe Sapphira's activities to make sure she doesn't cause any trouble as well that no trouble finds her. Once satisfied with enough evidence of her benevolent intent, he will retire to a comfortable perch to rest and recover for the next day's events.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
DM Vayelan wrote:

With the Carpenter:

A candle upon a wooden stand, set down beside Cavan, casts its dim light, revealing the astonishment upon the carpenter's face. His eyes go wide, the skin grows taut and sallow around them. His lips tighten, and his breath comes in short pulses.

"Please do not tease me so, m'lord," Cavan says. He tries to remain calm, but his words betray his welling excitement. "Do you speak truly? By the heavens, if it is possible...if you can save me from sliding back into what I was?"

He pauses, at a loss and struggling to find the words.

"If you could bestow such a blessing, then I dare say you would have my eternal gratitude, not to mention a loyal craftsman until his dying day."

For a moment, Bydar seems alarmed, "Never would I tease about such a thing . I am sorry if I came across as doing so... it would be cruel to and I Never wish that." He assures. As Cavan goes on, "I speak truly. I shall pray for it twice tonight, to double my chances of success. You were and are not a monster, but rather faced a hardship with grace and courage that I do not think many could manage. He puts a hand on the man's shoulder, "Now, stay calm. I will never forgive myself if you overstress yourself because I startled you with good news."

Then assuring, "And I won't lie, we surely need your skill, and I Hope you aid us, but I will not take that gratitude for granted. This is what my goddess would have me do."


Mr. Pink:
Sapphia Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29

"I know you're behind me," the cloaked medusa calls. She turns to face the tengu following her. "If it's any consolation, you might have fared better out in the wild, rather than this crowded camp."

She listens to Mr. Pink's explanation, then softly shakes her shrouded head.

"To be honest, I only understood about half of what you said," she sighs. "I'd expected at least one of you to remain highly suspicious of me. It's disheartening, but I also can't say that I'm at all surprised."

She pauses near an unattended barrel, deftly hoisting herself up and taking a seat.

"We're both rare birds," she says, her own pun eliciting a wry smirk just below the hem of her hood. "But only one of us has a reputation that follows them like a shadow.

"I'm not a good person. I won't pretend to be. Of course, I'm not a monster, either," she emphasizes her point with a raised, ring-bedecked finger. "I want to learn from the mistakes of my foremothers. If playing nice and helping the adventurers is my best chance to survive, then so be it. As long as I can carve out my own piece of happiness, I'll gladly play by your rules."


"I will seek a good night's rest as best I can," Cavan says, allowing his elation to play freely upon his face, "But it will be challenging. Never before in my life have I felt so eager to see the dawn."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"I find prayer to Shelyn helps sometimes when I can't sleep but I am biased" A smile, "I 'll try to start praying right away if the others have no need of me."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Sapphira:

Mr. Pink Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Mr. Black Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Mr. Black caws softly to his master in the tengu tongue. "Better speak plainly or she'll turn us into ugly statues."

Risky but perhaps there is truth in her words. Perhaps secrets too.

Mr. Pink's avian eyes flit about rapidly, quickly surveying if anyone else might be eavesdropping on the conversation before continuing.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32

Once the coast is clear, Mr. Pink edges closer to Sapphira, hops up on a neighboring barrel and whispers in hushed common.

"My deepest apologies for the deception. Allow me to plainly explain. Rare birds fare better when flocked together, yes? We both come here with the same purpose. Not to run, not to hide and not to simply survive... but to thrive. You must know that all kingdoms fall or rise by the whispered words of spies. I do not ask for you to be good, only for you to see. And relay these things to me."

He pauses for a moment.

"Can you play by this rule?"


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)
Orlog BrightShield wrote:
"Seal the doors in the fort? Those tunnels will provide us so many opportunity that sealing them would be a waste. Most, if not all of the monsters are dead. We will do another sweep tomorrow and eventually repair and uses those tunnels."

Christian nods approvingly...

Agreed

Brand Oluffson wrote:
Nodding to Orlogg's words, Brandt supports the Dwarf, Aye Captain, we've got some solid resource there should we be able to shore up the walls and keep it clear for storage, a refuge, and a potential sally port as well. We will need to make certain the exterior is secured, but I think it is of great benefit to us.

The mercenary tilts his head slightly in thought.

Those are all possible.

Looking from Captain Garess to Brand and then to Orlog.
...Or it could become an under city. There could be a reason why these ancient ruins are here. What lies deep below us?

DM Vayelan wrote:


"We were working out of Mivon when we were approached by some ponce trying hard, and failing, to hide that he worked for Irovetti, the king of Pitax. We were probably his way of feeling out the Stolen Lands, testing how well they'd fall beneath his rule. After all, that petty tyrant fancies himself the next Living God, so it makes sense."

Not smart for Castruccio Irovetti to be playing in the Sworlord's sandbox. If he has his eyes on the Stolen lands, then we will see more of him soon enough. He will causes trouble. I am just glad that the Mivon is too busy with the posturing of the internal houses to be of a threat us.

Christian scratches his chin...
do you remember anything that he said. Something that stood out as obvious to his intentions...so to speak.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

I made the right decision in coming here, Syretia thinks to herself as she watches Bydar's interaction with Cavan. She spends the rest of the evening exploring the camp, finding a place to settle in, and filling the silences with amateur but earnest singing.

Sing: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

With the meeting done with the Captain, Orlog walks around the camp inspecting the site of the future inn and houses. After, he heads over to his resting place, inspecting the ledger of the current financial situation of the endeavor, Orlog smiles. So far so good. Still need a name for this place though. He closes the book, takes off his armor, recite a prayer to Torag. Tomorrow will be another of exploration, he needs to be in shape and well rested.


Mr. Pink:
Sweeping the perimeter with your keen avian eyes, you notice that the two of you sit at the edge of the camp. Perhaps expecting a private conversation - or, at worst, a confrontation - she led you to an out-of-the-way place where you wouldn't be interrupted.

A pleased smile cuts across her obscured face.

"That rule is quite to my liking. If the two of us are to protect this place from behind the curtains, then I believe this will be a very promising land, indeed."


The guards and workers, bedding down and resting for the coming morning's labors, stir as they hear Syretia's voice carry upon the soft night wind. Although an amateur, her singing holds a haunting quality that captures many ears.

In fact, her singing even gives pause to Narthropple, who takes a moment to reply to Lord Christian's query.

"He said his master was interested in old Iobarian art, which was another clue to Irovetti's involvement. Pitax is such a hub of trashy art, all at her king'd behest, that it was quite obvious.

"He did not pressure us to make haste, so if Irovetti has designs on these lands, it does not seem to be a high priority. His agent didn't betray any awareness of rivals for the Stolen Lands, so Pitax may not yet know of your presence. It would be wise to be prepared, though. Once Irovetti does know of your settlement, he may wait for you to build it up into an appealing yet vulnerable prize before making his move."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Sapphira:

Mr. Pink smiles back deviously at Sapphira.

"Indeed. Veiled protection from without as well as from within, Royal Enforcer. Tomorrow we secure the domain of all our enemies' undoing. We will take back what was stolen from us in these lands. Together, we will see it done."

He slips off the barrel, bows slightly and bids Sapphira a fond farewell to cement their new alliance.

"Until we see each other again..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian tries to gather all those that have a vested interest in the future of this new kingdom. Looking around from one face to another...or at least those that he can see of course, Christian keeps things pleasant. He hopes that the faces are bright and renewed with vitality after the hazards they all have endured over the last week or so.
Tomorrow, we break our fast in the company of new friends and new opportunities. It is an important day and I wish all of you to be present. So please enjoy your night and get some sleep. I will see all of you when the sun is full above the horizon.
Those hopefully present (at least) are the party, Cavan, Narthropple, Sapphira, Kesten...Oleg and Svetlana are not here as far as I know.

Come morning, Christian is up bright and early before the sun turn the skies pink. He heads to a cook fire and starts to aid in making the meal for that morning. Toiling with pots and pans, he lends a hand where one is needed. When the time comes, he makes sure the room that will be used for breaking of the fast is ready. He places a simple glass wine bottle on the table. A smoked tint gives it a silver like color. The label reads The Silver Scale...4710. At the appointed time, he stands at the table waiting for all to join him.
My friends, thank you for joining me. Every last person here has aided in one way or another to this endeavor. Those right here in this room have a direct hand in the molding of our future. I would like to give thanks to each of you for your time, your patience and your sacrifices. None of this could have been possible without each of you but I digress...please sit and enjoy your meal.

He motions for all to sit. He continues as the other eat and drink.
We have a few things that we should discuss before we continue claiming...reclaiming these lands. The cavern underneath us needs to be fully explored and mapped out. Having this unknown under our feet is dangerous. Once that is finished we can then decided what we will do with that area. We also need to establish some income. There is a gold mine that we need to put to use and the Kobolds have an old silver mine that may or may not be dry. Bridges to repair and roads to build. Defenses to be put in place. I think with all that is needed...we should place someone in charge of those projects. A royal engineer as it were. I think it will help us out in the long run.

He pauses and take drink to wash down his food.
I have heard that it is bad luck to sail a ship without a name. Some call it a superstition but I tend to lean on the cautious side of things like this. We should have a name for our new kingdom...and for this city, its capital. I am of Argent Dracos and being of the Order of the Dragon does make me somewhat partial to dragons. The Dragon Kingdom and maybe Dragon City...Those are simple words that I am just tossing around. I think we all should have a voice in this. Thoughts?

After some talk of a name or two, Christian moves on to his next topic.
Today marks a bright future for all of us. I think we should celebrate this day each and every year. Founding Day, for today we have found our new kingdom. We found a renewed faith in our gods and their blessings. We also found our faith in our neighbors and the values that we hold dear. The skills to create and become that which seems impossible...we have found our dreams and strive to achieve them. Founding Day...A bit too much?

He continues once again after some more eating.
The building of an Inn might help bring merchants and new citizens to our lands. Something that we will need.
He smiles ruefully.
Did I mention that I am partial to dragons...Maybe the inn could be called the Dragons Rest?
Christian laughs softly.

There is need of skilled laborers and those that can do simple labor. We may want to get the word out that there is opportunity here for those that are willing to work for it.

Christian face softens lightly..
Taxes...no one likes them but they are needed. I think we should keep them as low as possible until we get our feet under us and rolling in the correct direction.

After much debate and discussion. Christian stands and picks up the bottle that has been sitting on the table in front of him. Looking at it and turning it this way and that, he smiles at the others.
This here is a bottle of wine produced from grapes that where frozen while still on the vine. This gives it its characteristic refreshing sweetness balanced by high acidity. The man who created such a beverage was a simple man named Felton. He was my friend and he was one hell of a vintner. I miss him. This is my last and it was bottled the same year I found Argent Dracos. I think it appropriate that we share this bottle in celebration of our future together.

With those last words said Christian opens the wine and proceeds to walk around filling each glass. The ladies first and then the men. He fills his glass last and places the bottle down on the table.

A toast to our kingdom. A kingdom is not just land and government. It's people, culture and generations of life to come give it purpose. Though they may come and go, they shape us like rocks in a stream. We may not see their effects in the moment, a lifetime of friendship makes each of us smooth and complete: the best of what we can be. So, let us drink to our kingdom. To our friends and to our families...like those here today.
He raises he glass.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar is not the first one there, no. He might even be a bit late, but he DOES come in time, and with him, Cavan, with his face and skin restored, no trace of the leprosy that had quite literally plagued him.

Those who were there when Bydar awoke and went to Cavan might have seen Cavan kneeling, and the Priest laying one hand on him while the other held aloft the symbol of Shelyn and called upon her mercy for this honorable and good hearted man.

THey would have seen the scales fall from the skin, the flesh grow rich and new again, a visage restored.

And seen Bydar embrace the man warmly after as he bade him rise up- restored.

..................

When food is served, Bydar says a soft prayer over the meal before digging in.

The Priest is beaming almost beatifically, as if all is wonderful with the world.

He nods at Lord Christian's mention of a royal engineer. It seems prudent, though he certainly hopes to help

Quote:
I have heard that it is bad luck to sail a ship without a name. Some call it a superstition but I tend to lean on the cautious side of things like this. We should have a name for our new kingdom...and for this city, its capital. I am of Argent Dracos and being of the Order of the Dragon does make me somewhat partial to dragons. The Dragon Kingdom and maybe Dragon City...Those are simple words that I am just tossing around. I think we all should have a voice in this. Thoughts?

Bydar suggests Tilekdivyth, which if my Draconic isn't too rusty, means "Rose of Steel" a tribute to Shelyn and Torag both, and, by using the Draconic language for the name. I think it would be a good name for a Kingdom. And draconic might be a fine name to do namings for in general."

"Mind you, if you really have your heart on names with dragon in them, you could name the fortress or city that we hope to build Dragon's Roost or some such, but what if a real dragon flies by and sees it as an invitation?" A bit of humor.

At the mention of workers, Bydar turns, "Cavan, have you any old friends or kin in the trades that would be interested in a new life? Folks you knew or know to be hard workers and of good character?"

And he adds, "And to those of you that do not recognize him, this is Cavan. Praise Shelyn, she trusted me with a miracle this day. I think perhaps our journey below and return might be seen as a labyrinth of progression for us in this. Into the darkness we went, out of the darkness we found the light of the stars and now the new day. Cavan is healed, and I believe he will bring much beauty to this place through his skills."

The wine is served...

Quote:

A toast to our kingdom. A kingdom is not just land and government. It's people, culture and generations of life to come give it purpose. Though they may come and go, they shape us like rocks in a stream. We may not see their effects in the moment, a lifetime of friendship makes each of us smooth and complete: the best of what we can be. So, let us drink to our kingdom. To our friends and to our families...like those here today.

He raises he glass.

"To our Kingdom," Bydar says toasting as well, "May goodly gods continue to smile on it, and may goodly people live and love in it far beyond our children's children's time."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"Tileqdewi? Tilekdyveth? Could you pick a harder name to say and write. It will take me forever to write it down correctly on all the officials papers for the edicts and finance." Taking a bit of bread, Orlog seems to think for a moment. "Well, I can't think of anything else to name our future kingdom, I guess it is as good as any."


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

As new to the kingdom as she is, and as untested as she is, Syretia does her best to be unobtrusive during the initial speeches and breakfast. She smiles at the debate over naming things for dragons, and actually laughs at Orlog's good-natured complaint about the proposed "Tilekdivyth."

"Worry not, Master BrightShield," Syretia says, her first contribution to the evening's dialogue. "You would be surprised at how many Brevans speak Draconic, even in Rostland! We'll have a period of adjustment, to be sure, but with time I feel it will become significantly less cumbersome than just saying 'the Kingdom' all the time."

At the reintroduction of Cavan to the council, her face takes on an expression of wonder. "Love really is the greatest of all things. We are fortunate to have such a conduit of Shelyn's love and grace here with us, at the beginning."

She gratefully accepts the wine from Lord D'Elagante with a soft smile, and sips after the toasts of the others. Her face takes on a thoughtful expression as they progress. Eventually, she steps forward, hesitates, then pushes onward anyway. "I am a stranger to all of you. I haven't shared in any of your burdens to date. I haven't yet proven myself worthy to be here, sharing in this incredibly pivotal moment. But all the same, I was welcomed immediately and with no reservation. That is...that is very special to me."

Syretia pauses for a moment to breathe before continuing. "So, here's my toast," she says, lifting her glass. "May this new kingdom be a home to the outcast, a guiding star to the lost, and an example to all other nations."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christina smiles as he takes in Bydar's words.
Interesting take...I did not think to look at the Draconic Language. I only know a few words and I butcher them just about every time.

He slowly looks from one person to another. Taking in their faces and expressions. He stops for a few moments as he looks on a Cavan. His disease is cured and he appears happy.
How long did he suffer with that disease and yet he kept going forward. He bent but did not break.
He continues his thoughts as he looks on Sapphira.
...and she could have given into her curse and lashed out at those that despised her for her looks. Yet she drudge onward trying to just live a life different than her past.

Christian then looks to the others as a group.
What about...Charis. The Kingdom of Charis. It means hope in Draconic.

My XO would be very angry at me if I did not throw a bit of Elvish in here somewhere...Myth Takal. A nice easy name for a city. A city of enlightenment, education, art, architecture and dreams. A Bastion of hope and prosperity for all. This is Myth Takal. Dragon City.
Christian looks on at the others hoping that they will speak up on their thoughts.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Charis, I like that Christian. And Myth Takal has promise too...
We can always put a Dragon on our heraldry if that doesn't look like someone else's nearby.

Looking to Cavan and the others, I feel like Founder's Day or something along those lines is a great start to the holidays for us. It represents many great things, from new friends, to new exploration, to new blessings upon our friends and lands.

Raising his glass in salute of Syretia's words, Agreed. Lets make certain we can provide our needs and those who choose to dwell here for a second chance.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink sits quietly and spends most of the morning meal observing his companions. Occasionally, he pens important notes into his cryptic journal. He also joins in the discussion when prompted on each topic.

On the subject of the tunnels.

"I shall certainly see to the surveying of our superannuated subterranean shelter. Much has already been meekly marked and mapped myself." He refers to his journal.

At the arrival of Bydar and Cavan.

Mr. Pink carefully observes the healed man, seemingly to confirm that he is still the same person more than anything else. After a few moments, Mr. Pink crosses out several paragraphs in his journal and continues eating.

On the subject of the Kingdom name.

"Draconic does define our desirable dwelling deftly. Or else Elven even. Or..." Suddenly, Mr. Black interrupts from his comfortable perch on Mr. Pink's bamboo hat, in the common tongue for the first time.

"Or you can just answer the question without droll wordplay for once. I'd choose Draconic if you ask me. It is the oldest language at the root of all other languages and it's easier than most to speak when you have a beak."

Feeling quite embarrassed at his familiar's outburst, Mr. Pink remains speechless for a long while afterwards.

On the subject of the holiday and the toast.

Mr. pink hoists his glass of wine in concert with the others.

"For the flavorful fragrance freed from Felton's final flask... For Founding Day!"


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar chuckles as Orlog speaks of the Tilekdivyth name as being fine but a challenge for records, still, it seems the good dwarf likes it over all, or at least is okay with it.

Quote:
. "Love really is the greatest of all things. We are fortunate to have such a conduit of Shelyn's love and grace here with us, at the beginning."

Bydar doesn't know whether to blush at that, in case she is referencing him, or say 'hear hear' in case she speaks more generally of Cavan being restored period which he heartedly agrees with, the goddess has given a kind sign. Instead he merely says "The Incorruptible is more powerful goddess than many realize, Love can be like the tide that smooths the stone. I think she sensed the goodness in Cavan and thus bade me to stop lolligaging about and assist him already"

Quote:
Interesting take...I did not think to look at the Draconic Language. I only know a few words and I butcher them just about every time.

"Time and others will likely butcher it further still, but draconic as a language has strong roots. I was thinking you'd like it"

Quote:

Christian then looks to the others as a group.

What about...Charis. The Kingdom of Charis. It means hope in Draconic.

My XO would be very angry at me if I did not throw a bit of Elvish in here somewhere...Myth Takal. A nice easy name for a city. A city of enlightenment, education, art, architecture and dreams. A Bastion of hope and prosperity for all. This is Myth Takal. Dragon City.
Christian looks on at the others hoping that they will speak up on their thoughts.

Quote:
We can always put a Dragon on our heraldry if that doesn't look like someone else's nearby.

Bydar looks less sold on these than perhaps Lord Christian would like, but he does consider it, "Well, Charis is easier to say, but I confess I was hoping for something with a bit of a nod to Torag and Shelyn and their blessing on this endeavor at its start. I worry we neglect the gods too much here. Shrines on hold, I understand. Dragon symbols, to be expected given Brevoy's history. But it seems to take the goodly gods for granted to deny them any place in names and symbols. Lord Christian, You wish dragons to get a mention to respect your order. I hope you can understand why I would like certain goodly gods to get at least as much respect? Not worship, that's for each to decide for his or herself, but respect and recognition"

A thought, then to Brand "Perhaps a Dragon with with hammers and roses incorporated into the banner or blazon somehow? Charis for the name of the land could grow on me, but let the dragon be accompanied by hammer and rose? A small touch, but I think it would show a subtle respect."

Quote:
"Or you can just answer the question without droll wordplay for once. I'd choose Draconic if you ask me. It is the oldest language at the root of all other languages and it's easier than most to speak when you have a beak."

When Mr. BLACK speaks, Bydar's jaw falls open in surprise for a moment then, "Okay, Draconic naming at least we all are all right with. or so it seems." Delight replacing his surprise.

Then a return to Lord Christian, "I hope I'm not being too contrary for your liking, Lord Christian, you've been a good leader to our group. I just feel , well, I keenly feel the need to do right by my goddess specifically, and advocate for goodly gods. We we live in a world when we will need their help."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian sighs heavily and scratches his chin.
He closes his eyes in thought.
You are not being difficult or out of order...You are doing what anyone of faith would do...especially one that hears the whispers of their god. So please, hear me out and try to see my point.

The Order of Dragons is not religious but it does fall under the same principles. That being...we can not recognize one order or religion over another. This goes beyond our personal tenets. If we were to favor a specific religion or Order in such a visible show would put favor on those institutions above the others. How would anyone else feel here if there particular faith was ignored in such a blatant manner. Are we to appease every last religion with a spot on the banner. All of us have our own faith and values that we adhere to.

Christian pauses to catch his breath. He is polite but it shows that he is worried about the reaction to his words. His words are soft but their meaning is direct and to the point.
I am not against the gods at all but where will it end. All the gods have a part in everything whether we see it or not. What about the faith of the workers that toil in the dirt building the foundation that this kingdom is built on. Are we to include them as well. Would it not be wrong to ignore their gods.

He looks out the window towards the west...
One Razmiran is enough.

His thought return to the room.
I believe that religion is a matter which is between the individual and their god, that they owe account to none other for their faith or worship. I fear that there will come a time when religion will dictate who is worthy and who is not. That those not a particular faith will be deemed second rate citizens of their own country.

Christian rubs his eyes.
Do not think it can happen...Just look to the Mendev and their third crusade. I regret that I almost did the same...holding something personal above others.

He looks to Bydar with honesty and hope.
I agree that the gods should be respected and recognized. We will not desert them or ignore their involvement. It just should not be seen as part of the government that we are creating. We should keep the government as a neutral party when it comes to the interests of all goodly religions.

Christian appears tired and worn but his words.
I mean no disrespect for the faith you have in your gods...nor your desire to show them respect for what they have provided. Therefore I propose this...Our banner should not be about the gods but more about us. A rose could be your symbol for your involvement in this kingdom. A hammer for Master Brightshield. Maybe a feather for Mr. Pink or some arrows for Master Oluffson. We each provide a symbol that represents us. All come together to form our banner.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Orlog looks around after that look speech, then clear his throat. "So... We going with Charis? Or Tylikdiveth? For the city, are we going for Myth Takal?" Producing a parchment and and ink pot, he takes his inkpen and dips it in the ink, waiting for the confirmation to write it down.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Lord Christian D'Elagante wrote:

Christian sighs heavily and scratches his chin.

He closes his eyes in thought.
You are not being difficult or out of order...You are doing what anyone of faith would do...especially one that hears the whispers of their god. So please, hear me out and try to see my point.

He listens, tilting his head.

Quote:

The Order of Dragons is not religious but it does fall under the same principles. That being...we can not recognize one order or religion over another. This goes beyond our personal tenets. If we were to favor a specific religion or Order in such a visible show would put favor on those institutions above the others. How would anyone else feel here if there particular faith was ignored in such a blatant manner. Are we to appease every last religion with a spot on the banner. All of us have our own faith and values that we adhere to.

Christian pauses to catch his breath. He is polite but it shows that he is worried about the reaction to his words. His words are soft but their meaning is direct and to the point.
I am not against the gods at all but where will it end. All the gods have a part in everything whether we see it or not. What about the faith of the workers that toil in the dirt building the foundation that this kingdom is built on. Are we to include them as well. Would it not be wrong to ignore their gods.

He looks out the window towards the west...
One Razmiran is enough.

Brows shoot up at this comparison and a shake of his head as he wishes to speak at that NOW, but he waits.

Quote:

His thought return to the room.
I believe that religion is a matter which is between the individual and their god, that they owe account to none other for their faith or worship. I fear that there will come a time when religion will dictate who is worthy and who is not. That those not a particular faith will be deemed second rate citizens of their own country.

Christian rubs his eyes.
Do not think it can happen...Just look to the Mendev and their third crusade. I regret that I almost did the same...holding something personal above others.

He looks to Bydar with honesty and hope.
I agree that the gods should be respected and recognized. We will not desert them or ignore their involvement. It just should not be seen as part of the government that we are creating. We should keep the government as a neutral party when it comes to the interests of all goodly religions....Christian appears tired and worn but his words.
I mean no disrespect for the faith you have in your gods...nor your desire to show them respect for what they have provided. Therefore I propose this...Our banner should not be about the gods but more about us. A rose could be your symbol for your involvement in this kingdom. A hammer for Master Brightshield. Maybe a feather for Mr. Pink or some arrows for Master Oluffson. We each provide a symbol that represents us. All come together to form our banner.

Bydar looks very troubled, and just as earnestly as Lord Christian replies, "I think you did not hear my words, Lord Christian. And I repeat one phrase you seem to have missed. ' Not worship, that's for each to decide for his or herself, but respect and recognition" He reminds, "Let us not pretend that secularism holds back tyranny any better than theocracy, not that I at anytime advocated theocracy. I advocated for recognition, and not even direct reference, in a name only of either city or country, or in lieu of that, at least as part of the banner work. Your compromise appears to be that I pretend i am not religious or else am so only for show? and that I put the rose on for my own glory, and kindly shove Shelyn who has tried to aid us into corner.. all for fear that it may lead to a path of Ecclesiastical dictatorship or abuse."

A sigh "In truth, I'm not sure how I am NOT Supposed to take that as insulting, though I know it was not intentional, insulting to good clergy everywhere, and insulting to the goodly gods I seek to recognize and beseech. Add to that the unlikeliness of calling something 'steel rose' or putting a symbol of a flag leading to a second Razmir situation... truly? Your mind goes there? One rose dedicated to Shelyn on the flag, or hammer to Torag, not for my or Orlog's sake but to honor the gods that sent us on this path, and we shall be doomed to the worst possible scenario where only two goodly religions are allowed? I hope you trust me more than that, and I assure you Shelyn is not big on such control."

"Your order seems one worth learning from one of companionship and mutual respect. I have no problem with a respect towards it's part in our founding or it's ideals, as it is a part of you. I do not think for one moment that you intend to have the Order of the Dragon as an organization control over the government. I don't intend to do any thing of the sort with the Churches."

He looks at the others, "I'm sorry if I am making much ado about what should be a small thing, but this conversation has revealed deeper matters that it is best we resolve. One can't quarantine the gods in a corner as if they were a plague, then expect their blessing or aid. I do not the gods to have votes at the table, that would cause a bloated mess indeed and be a waste of their time, but they do deserve an advocate. And they should not be shoved into the servants quarters to be snapped for like waiting staff when we remember they might fetch what we need. There are many nations that suffer from godly neglect, we don't want to become one of those anymore than over zealous Mendev."

A look at Christian, "You seem a good man, and I follow you, but I cannot separate myself from faith, I do not demand others worship as I do, but nor will I bury her from sight until convenient. Nor ignore my faith in matters of conscience. If I do that, I'm not a cleric, I'm a collection of healing potions with a smile. But, I do think there might be steps taken so that the clergy cannot take over. It jumps ahead a bit, but we can discuss a law in the very frame of our nation's founding that would prevent anyone who is a priest or cleric from being the king or queen of whatever land forms. I think such a rule would be good for both clerical integrity and to hold back your concerns of another Mendev."

Quote:


Orlog looks around after that look speech, then clear his throat. "So... We going with Charis? Or Tylikdiveth? For the city, are we going for Myth Takal?" Producing a parchment and and ink pot, he takes his inkpen and dips it in the ink, waiting for the confirmation to write it down.

Bydar closes is eyes, and seems to think for just a moment before opening them, "Perhaps this as a sign? Unless someone has something better, let us go with Charis as Lord Christian suggests for the kingdom. The need for Hope is growing on me." A smile, "And, let the first settlement be called Myth Takal. There may, Gods be kind, be others. Let the Second, unless one of you object, be called Tylikdiveth, thus showing we put the secular first but still honor the spiritual. The rose I wish put on the banner, still stands for Shelyn. I cannot use that to glorify ME. So I yield what would be my House Swan, and let the rose take that spot. It should be smaller than the dragon, just as my part, I suspect, will be much smaller than Lord Christian's and again show secular over ecclesiastical. I can't speak for the others on their symbols meanings."

A look to Lord Christian, and then to everyone else, "Does this seem like a fair compromise of sorts? One that will lead to preventing a theocracy?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The former bandit fort, overlooking the camp below, serves as your base for this endeavor. Thus, this meeting is held in the southeast corner of the old Iobarian tower. The rubble that once choked this common area has been cleared, and the groaning stone floor above has been shored up. Garess and Narthropple stand among your circle, while Sapphira keeps to the periphery. Garess has eyed her warily ever since she arrived with you.

As the discussion of religion unfolds, you suspect the hint of a snicker wafting out from Sapphira's hood.

"You're overthinking things," Narthropple speaks up, rapping his knuckles on the top of the field table to draw attention. "You better not have been looking for a toady because I pride myself on telling people when they're being foolish - and you're inching in that direction.

"Let's focus on getting some cabins built before we start painting up coats of arms. That can come later. Of course, I'll admit that a name is important. Since you've asked me to help you enforce the law, I'd like to be able to tell folks what authority I represent."

I'm not trying to denigrate anyone. I really like how you are throwing yourselves into roleplaying this momentous occasion.
Narthropple, though, is a halfling of action, and he would speak up at this point.


"Don't forget, you also have this stronghold here," Sapphira says, raising her arms to gesture towards the ancient stone walls.

"When you eventually build some kind of fortress or castle on these foundations - and you'd be foolish not to - you can give it whatever name you'd like. I think a powerful name like Castle Tilekdivyth has a certain charm."

She shoots a disarming smile towards Bydar.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"You have a point, Narthopple,' He says after thinking it over a bit, "My own view is symbols have power, and help us. And I stand by that, but they are certainly not more important than making sure the people get roofs over their heads." An embarrrased scratch of his head, "I must not forget that. Goodly gods will forgive us putting shelter of the innocent first I think or else they would not be goodly gods." a smile, "The coat of arms can wait. Names? Well, I've said my piece there."

Quote:

"Don't forget, you also have this stronghold here," Sapphira says, raising her arms to gesture towards the ancient stone walls.

"When you eventually build some kind of fortress or castle on these foundations - and you'd be foolish not to - you can give it whatever name you'd like. I think a powerful name like Castle Tilekdivyth has a certain charm."

She shoots a disarming smile towards Bydar.

A grateful smile from the cleric, "That too would be a fine compromise, thank you, Sapphira. Something to consider."

"As for more practical matters, I too think low taxes at the start will encourage innovation. Though I am not a financier."


Female Changeling (Sorrow May) Sorcerer (Sage) 5 | 27/27 HP | AC13{17} T13 FF11{15} | CMD14 | F +2 R +4 W +7 | SR 11 | Init +3 | Perc +7 | Arcana +15, Dungeoneering +13, History +11, Local +10, Planes +14, Religion +10, Perception +7, Sing +6, Spellcraft +15 | Spells: 2nd 4/5 1st 4/8 | Conditions: Mage Armor

Syretia focuses her attention on her glass as the debate escalated, somehow managing to make taking a sip last nearly a full minute.

551 to 600 of 731 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Saga of a New Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.