Saga of a New Land

Game Master vayelan

A Kingmaker campaign of politics, intrigue, and war.

Maps:
Greenbelt Map
Stolen Lands Map
The Abandoned Fort

Encounter Map: Labyrinth Ambush
Party Loot

Resources:
Kingdom Tracker Spreadsheet
Kingdom Building Rules
Kingdom Turn Sequence
Buildings


101 to 150 of 764 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

As Mr. Pink relays through further alliteration, the squatter carries only a single armful of food into a bunkhouse or cookhouse. Vera can also clarify, courtesy of her own avian scout, that there were no horses or wagons. Neither of the birds can offer information about weapons.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Shrugging again, Brandt looks to the companions, "I think we can even bring our horses right in rather than leaving them hobbled here? I will defer to the group however. But we should go introduce ourselves to this solitary squatter and see if we can share the fort with this individual for the evening." Barring objections Brandt will head toward the keep walking openly with his bow in hand.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

After another round of talking with the avian scouts, christian stares at the fort for a few moments.
damn it Dragomir...these are not your people. They will not know what you want...I need to be patient with them and work with them. We will come together as unit soon enough...be more specific in the future.

Looking from Mr. Pink to vera and then to the two birds, christian smiles reassuringly.
not sure if they will understand me or not...but...I can not treat them any different than I would they others.
He looks at the birds.
Thank you for the information. That gives us enough to form a plan.

He turns and adress the others...
We go in with weapons ready but not threatening. We hail the camp and see what we come on. Watch for threats from other parts of the fort, There could be more out and about. We keep it friendly and try to limit what we divulge just yet. I like the honest approach but right now we do not know much. Best to limit what we share for now.

He waits for the others to respond.
thoughts?


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Sava elven:
"I do flying, you do planning! All is good!"

Vera rolls her eyes theatrically as the bird preens at Christian's thanks.

Vera elven:
"Careful, my dear bird, don't want head too big to fly. Now kindly watch above?"

The bird mimics her with a head roll of his own before alighting again to circle above the group.

"I can still feel him up there," she explains to the others. "If I taste panic, it could give us a few extra seconds warning of an ambush. Overall, sounds like a fine plan; I'll defer to you to do the talking?" empathic link: gives emotional connection, but not language, when within 1 mile of familiar


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Elven:
"A highly intelligent bird."
Bydar says, feeling it best he be honest that he speak the language, and birds, particularly song birds are special to his goddess.

At Lord Christian's plan, the nobleman turned cleric nods, "Sounds like a good mix of openness and caution."


When you are ready to enter the fort, you find that the broad wooden doors of the gate are closed but not sealed or barred. With a little muscle, they groan open and allow entrance to the yard. The pebbly ground has been worn bare by countless marching feet, long gone. Stands of dandelions have begun to sprout from patches of earth.

The courtyard is dominated by three wooden longhouses. The windows of two remain dark and still, screened by spiderwebs. The third, clearly a mess hall, shows more signs of life. Cooking smoke curls through a hole cut in the gently pitched roof. A figure emerges, standing in silhouette of the open door.

Draped with a cloak and swaddled with scarves, you can not even guess their species or sex. Even their hands are bound with gloves and rags. Rather than a sword or hatchet, a bent ladle hangs from their thick digits. They stand there, appraising you for a moment before speaking.

"Well, you don't look much like bandits," comes a man's hoarse voice, finally offering some clue to his identity.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"While appearances can be deceiving, in this case they're correct , at least in that. We're not bandits. It sounds like you are not either, or if you are, you're remarkably courteous about it," A smile, "I'm Bydar of Shelyn." A glance to his companions to see how much they want to share or how they wish to introduce themselves.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian takes his cue from Bydar.
Hail stranger and well met. I am Christian and bandits we are not. Just travelers on our way to Oleg's Outpost. We were hoping to find shelter for the night and noticed that these walls already seem to be occupied. Would you mind some company for the night. It would be most appreciated.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt relaxes when the figure speaks, tension draining from him and Fenrir simultaneously.

"Brandt, son of Olaff. Greetings traveler, we have our own supplies as well, so no concern upon us eating your supper!" Bradnt concludes with a grin.

An outcast? Or do they have some disfigurement? I wonder...


"My name is Cavan," his voice comes, buried beneath the Varisian scarves wrapped around his face.

"You're welcome to stay. I have no rightful claim over this fort, and I certainly lack the power to keep anyone out," he says with a touch of sarcasm. "If I had anything to steal, I might actually have to worry."

He turns and looks at something in the cookhouse.

"Excuse me, I don't want my stew to boil over."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)
DM Vayelan wrote:
"Excuse me, I don't want my stew to boil over."

Christian slowly lifts his hand to his blade and grabs the scabbard. Pushing his thumb under the cross guard to lift it up slowly, then letting it slide back in place.

He turns to Brand to get his attention and slowly lowers his head to the ground. Bringing his fingers to point at his eyes then down at the tracks.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Cavan...I am not a bad cook myself. I may even have a few spices that will help with your stew. Mind if I give you a hand.?


"Sure, sure," Cavan calls out from the cookhouse.

The gravelly ground makes for ideal tracks. Although Cavan seems to drag one of his feet, the prints left by his thick boots are very clear and distinct.

Inside the cookhouse, you find a pair of long tables made from unpainted planks. Only one bench is left, though; the broken remnants of at least another are propped in a corner. A rusting iron lantern sits, unlit, upon one of the tables. Cavan himself stirs a dented, deformed iron pot over an open, stone oven. The low fire within the oven casts muted shadows across the mess hall.

"I got lucky today," Cavan says without looking up from his pot. "A dumb, unlucky hare actually fell for one of my traps. Kind of small, not enough to roast, so I figured a stew would be best. I've got some of these tiny, wild onions to toss in, too. Not sure what spices might go well with that. I'm even less of a chef than I am a hunter," he adds with a shrug.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Hunting with traps. I hear that can be dangerous in these lands. The wild life is said to be fierce I'm told but then I am new to it." Bydar wonders if the man might be injured.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

With no immediate threat, Orlog happily walks into the old cook house. "Well, this place seen better days." He grabs a piece of wood or a loose stone, and walks over to the lantern. He opens it, drop the small object he collected in it and, using a bit of divine magic, turn it into a light source. Closing the lantern, he places it back on the table before giving the room a better look.

"There, this should make this place less gloomy. Now, let see what lie in here." Making his way around the room, Orlog inspect the walls and ceiling, making sure that nothing will collapse during the night.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt, seeing an opportunity with Cavan occupied with his cooking. will track to ensure there are no additional occupants in the area.

If the target is human and it would apply add an additional +2 from favored enemy.

Track 1d20 + 11

Okay I can't get the dice command to work for some reason on this post...


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Vera glances up at her circling companion, and flicks a finger towards the roof of one of the vacant longhouses.

Catching pangs of irritation, she wills soothing patience back at the bird. You know the drill, my dear. We don't both walk into possible danger at the same time. Any threat from Cavan should be manageable with this crew, but that doesn't mean I want to be caught in a trap.

Following the rest of the party, she looks around and observes, "I like it. It's honest, homey. Much more my style than stuffy Restov -- and likely as much 'civilization' as we can expect for some time to come."

Blowing some dust off the surviving bench, she mutters a quick mending cantrip over a cracked board before sitting down, leaning back against the table behind her to kibbitz on the meal.

prof(herbalist): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

"Hare, you said? Place like this has good disturbed soil, I could probably find some nettle or plantain in the yard, add a bit of texture? And so far it appears you're a perfectly serviceable hunter and cook -- if those aren't your true strengths, what are?"

"...Vera, from the Narlmarches," she finishes, after realizing she's neglected the basic formalities.


The lumpy stone that Orlog deposits in the open-faced lantern and enchants with a magic glow casts its pale, white light across the cookhouse. Cobwebs haunts the rafters, except for one corner dominated by a bird's nest.

"I don't know if they were robins or sparrows," Cavan explains, noticing you looking in the corner against the ceiling, "but they stopped using that nest once they caught on that I was stealing their little blue eggs for breakfast. I think they made a new nest over in the old storehouse."

Orlog:
Some of the planks in the roof could stand to be replaced, but the cookhouse is in relatively good condition despite its neglect. As best you can tell, the fort has only been abandoned for two months at most. Nevertheless, another season or two of weathering will leave the roof and walls very unstable.

Brandt:
Cavan is the only humanoid who's come through the cookhouse in quite some time - several weeks, at least. Besides the nest and guano, evidence of birds, you can also see tiny tracks and leavings from a combination of mice, lizards, and other common critters that pass through the open doors.

Vera:
You've, thankfully, only been called upon to treat such ailments very rarely, but you can recognize the signs of leprosy upon Cavan. Beneath his coverings, you can see discolored rashes and lesions on his face.

"I spent most of my life in Restov, apprenticing to a carpenter before becoming a journeyman myself," Cavan explains. "Then I was forced out of the city, going on about two years ago. I have a cousin in Nivakta's Crossing who put me up in his barn, but then a month ago I got run out of there, too. That's when I found this empty fort to live in."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

With negotiations well in hand, Mr. Pink takes the opportunity to slip away from the group and follow Brand & Fenrir in their tracking efforts. He takes special interest in the two darkened and presumably abandoned longhouses.

He whispers to Brand his stealthy scouting intentions as Mr. Black flies off and settles atop the gates at the fort entrance to spy for any future intruders.

"Unempty, spider-webbed spaces in darkened places could threaten to spoil our good graces."

Checking the two dark longhouses for occupants or signs of danger/traps. Taking 10 on Stealth (23) & Perception (21). Trapspotter rogue talent fires if Mr. Pink comes within 10' of a trap. If a light source is needed, he will activate his Ioun Torch.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar tries to consider the fort's possibilitys. his mind races towards the grandest designs.
Profession Architect 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

And he listens to Cavan, talk of the robins or sparrows eaten and he ponders, "Songbirds are precious to the goddess. Perhaps we can create a few havens for them around here. Fill the area with song."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)
DM Vayelan wrote:


"I got lucky today," Cavan says without looking up from his pot. "A dumb, unlucky hare actually fell for one of my traps. Kind of small, not enough to roast, so I figured a stew would be best. I've got some of these tiny, wild onions to toss in, too. Not sure what spices might go well with that. I'm even less of a chef than I am a hunter," he adds with a shrug.

I am told that stews do well with root vegetables...and that you never can go wrong with some salt, pepper and garlic. I have some and it may just be enough for this meal. I am planning on picking some more up when we get to the trading post.

DM Vayelan wrote:


"I spent most of my life in Restov, apprenticing to a carpenter before becoming a journeyman myself," Cavan explains. "Then I was forced out of the city, going on about two years ago. I have a cousin in Nivakta's Crossing who put me up in his barn, but then a month ago I got run out of there, too. That's when I found this empty fort to live in."

Christian looks pleased at first...

A carpenter...I have been trying to get some axles made of ash for my wagon. It is hard to find someone to work with such hard wood....
...then he gives a look of confusion.
but...I do not mean to pry into your personal affairs...What do you mean that you were forced to leave Restov and why would your kin run you out after taking you in?


Mr Pink and Brandt:
Based upon the weed growth and signs of animal encroachment, you suspect the fort was abandoned roughly two months ago. With such a long period of time, it is impossible to be sure, but you believe that Cavan is the first person to occupy the fort since then.

Very little was left behind in either of the other two longhouses. The cot frames in one suggest that it was a bunkhouse, while empty sacks and a lone, empty barrel in the other identify it as a former storehouse. You find a pair of sparrows building a new nest in the old storehouse, and they chirp angrily as you disturb their work.

You find simple snare traps set near holes worn in the palisade walls. Their crude construction attests to Cavan's lack of survival training. Nearby tracks hint that animals sneaking in through the holes simply sidestep the traps. None of them are large enough to endanger you.

Bydar:
This border fort was built with simplicity foremost in its design. The walls are a palisade of split logs, braced together and with watch platforms anchoring the corners. No art or longevity was invested in its construction, and it was clearly meant to serve a purpose until abandoned - as has come to pass.

This simplicity means that repairing the fort would be a very simple matter, though. On the other hand, it would take little to render this place a haven for both songbirds and other animals that inhabit this border area. Of course, the fact that the fort sits within Brevic territory might complicate the issue. Although it is abandoned, the authorities might not appreciate its perceived commandeering.

"I have plenty of birds and crickets chirping as it is," Cavan says with a harumph. "Used to keep me up all night. I got used to it, though. The foxes are the worst. Their damnable screeches are enough to haunt a man's dreams."

Christian's question elicits a brief, rattling laugh from Cavan.

"I would've thought it was obvious," he says, gesturing to his coverings. "I'm afraid you're in the presence of a leper."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt nods in realization as Cavan shares his condition with the companions. "It is unfortunate Goodman Cavan that your condition causes unrest and disapproval in these communities. Are there no other options for you?"

Shaking his head Brandt agrees with Cavan, "Although you definitely have it right, the shrieking of woodland creatures can be unsettling at first and when you are alone. " Shrugging, "I may not be an expert at healing, and not to volunteer my companion's skills, but perhaps there is something we can do as thanks for letting us share your camp? If you can cut Lord Christian's axles I'm sure we can pay you. "


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"I can see it on your face, yes -- you were run out from raw fear?" Vera clucks her tongue in disapproval. "I suppose once they're afraid, they stop giving you work, makes it hard to save up to see a healer."

"I've little experience with this disease, I'm afraid. Bydar, perhaps you have some skill in treating it? I imagine Shelyn would rather not see people afflicted with a marring disease."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"A leper? mmm perhaps.." Bydar looks concerned but not fearful, "I fear I am not... worthy of the spells that allow the healing of such conditions, but I might be able to restore you slightly." He offers.

I'm guessing Lesser Restoration might help the guy's ability scores a bit ?
And he ponders the best treatments he knows for such, to at least make it more tolerable.

Healing: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

The fine face of the young mercenary lord is etched with shock and sadness. He stands his ground and does not flee from the words. Christian's voice is filled with respect and kindness.
Cavan...I am impressed by your honesty...it truly shows who you are. I tend to look for what people do instead of what they look like. An occupational hazard to say the least.

He turns to look at the his companions and then back to Cavan.
Brandt has the right of it but I dare not speak for the others as it is not my place to do so. I know that I am very much in need of a good carpenter both for personal and professional reasons. I have not seen your skill at all but I do hold honesty to be a virtue in high regards...

He steps closer and looks the man in the eyes.
I have work for you if you wish it. Because you were honest with us I will look into what we can do for your leprosy. I am no chirurgen nor priest but I should think that there would be a cure somewhere. I think it would worth looking into. You do some work for me and I will pay you of course and if there is a cure...I will look into that as well. I am no push over when it comes to those that I employ. I expect a certain level of work ethics and a dedication to your craft.

Cavan is this something you would be interested in?


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"My healing magic isn't strong enough to heal you, but I think that Bydar and I can possibly think of something that would help." Moving toward the priest of Shelyn, Orlog starts diagnosing with his fellow priest.

Help another: Heal check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Now that his affliction is identified, Bydar and Orlog conceive of some remedies and treatments for Cavan that could soothe the nerve damage caused by the disease, as well as minimize risk of infection from sores and lesions. As they work, they also notice that Cavan, with his movements and coverings, is very careful not to render the stew "contaminated" for his guests. Just the same, though, both holy men think that everyone will be more comfortable if a spot of purifying magic is cast upon the meal.

Bydar:
Lesser Restoration, by undoing some of the Charisma damage, would presumably reduce the visible disfigurement, ease any pain he feels, and make him better able to function in the course of daily life. Of course, still bearing the disease, his condition would degenerate again with time. However, this would be a temporary measure until the disease can be entirely cured.

Cavan pauses his work, sliding diced onions into the stew, and takes a step back to look at Lord D'Elagante. With little more than his eyes uncovered, it is hard to read his expression, but you suspect the hints of surprise upon his face.

"You know, for some time now, folks have looked at me like vermin at worst and a broken tool at best," Cavan speaks. "I've certainly felt like a mallet with a cracked head or a saw with broken teeth. Things like that normally can't be fixed. That's how I've felt.

"I've heard that some priests can call upon their gods to make sickness vanish, just like a bad dream. 'Course, none of them Abadarans in the city would ever do it for free. But here you are, saying that you could cure me and put me back to work, and I'm just wondering what the downside is."

A spot of moisture can be seen at the corners of Cavan's eyes, betraying the hope and relief he has rediscovered.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt suppresses a rueful grin under his beard, "Its not easy lad; we're bound for the south, but aim to settle it and pacify parts of it. Lord Christian can describe it better than I, but it seems like an option which could work fer you. " Brandt indicates Christian with an open hand.

"I'd say its relatively safe enough, perhaps safer than staying in this abandoned fort on your own." Brandt looks thoughtfully at Cavan, "But I'd say the choice comes to you there, and is the risk worth the opportunity."

Suddenly overcome with embarrassment he looks around the room, "Didn't mean to open the invitation and speak for all, but seems like the right thing to do, He doesn't have much opportunity here, and we could use the help once we're settled in." Brandt concludes hastily.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Vera makes a disgusted noise at Cavan's trials, "Pfff, Abadarans - you have to negotiate terms and render payment just to have them say 'hello' to you! No, we're headed into the Stolen Lands, and I've seen what happens when folk spend their time looking for an advantage over each other out here -- it's why I've spent so many years on my own.

"You can take it as a kindness if you like, but Brand here is right: a skilled carpenter isn't something you throw out just because he's got a spot of rust on him. You sand it out, or oil him up, or...I don't know, you're the carpenter here, not me. Point is, a good craftsman isn't something you leave sitting idle by the side of the road when you've got work to be done."

Awkward much, Veronika? You've done more talking in the last day than in most months -- going to have to get used to spending time around people, because you've apparently committed yourself to this project beyond just hitching a ride home!


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

He nods at Orlog in quiet thanks for the aid in diagnosing.

Then he speaks to their host,"Shelyn is the goddess of beauty, Cavan, and some think that means the exterior alone, but there are people of surpassing beauty who are truly hideous inside..and they are far from her. There are others who, through no fault of their own, are not lovely on the outside at all, but Shelyn sees such wonder in them... and they are far closer to her than they know."

"This is temporary, but it may buy you yet more relief." Bydar passes his hand over the man and prays, "Eternal Rose, help him bloom anew, I beseech."

Lesser Restoration on Charisma: 1d4 ⇒ 3


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian keeps his voice respectful as he responds. He does not hide the slight smile that comes across his face.
The downside...well...you have to start working again so there is that.

I also think it is the safest place for you right now. We have much work to do and we are in need of trustworthy workers. Come with us and help us build this land into something better.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

...and please understand that this is not a task that will be easy. It will take lots of sweat and long hours of working beside a wide range of people you never imagined being near. A plethora of ambitions and cultures that we will need to blend into one community. Being a carpenter you know that just about anything you build will need a strong foundation.

Christian turns and looks at the others that have been gathered here.
I am not sure how it came about but I thank the gods that we were given this opportunity. The correct mix of character, piety, tenacity, vision and a fair amount of luck is needed to form a strong foundation for which to build off of. I believe that we have all that and more.

Come let us sit and enjoy a meal. We can talk about the specifics and our future.


The magic that Shelyn bestows, using Bydar as a conduit, proves the priest's words correct: the Eternal Rose's blessings are much more than skin deep. The spell doesn't just diminish the lesions upon Cavan's skin. It heals the nerve and tissue damage, restoring a range of motor control and facial muscles - allowing the carpenter to move with more confidence and better express subtle emotions upon his face.

As the divine energy washes over him, Cavan hazards the hint of a smile. In truth, it has been some time since he's been able to smile, if only because he was physically unable. With renewed vigor, Cavan again welcomes you - his new friends - to share a meal under the roof he's been trying to maintain.

"I'm very eager to lay the foundations for a new life," he says some time later over dinner. "The people I knew before, friends and family, I've seen how willing they were to cast me out. If building something new, something better, is how I can repay you, then you best believe that you've got one more pair of arms to help," he boasts, clapping a hand upon his shoulder for emphasis.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Quote:

Christian turns and looks at the others that have been gathered here.

I am not sure how it came about but I thank the gods that we were given this opportunity. The correct mix of character, piety, tenacity, vision and a fair amount of luck is needed to form a strong foundation for which to build off of. I believe that we have all that and more.

Come let us sit and enjoy a meal. We can talk about the specifics and our future.

"Thanks to the gods is usually a good way to begin any venture," a smile "Though as a man of the cloth I might be considered biased on the subject."

Quote:
"I'm very eager to lay the foundations for a new life," he says some time later over dinner. "The people I knew before, friends and family, I've seen how willing they were to cast me out. If building something new, something better, is how I can repay you, then you best believe that you've got one more pair of arms to help," he boasts, clapping a hand upon his shoulder for emphasis.

"Please do not think for one moment this temporary restoration is conditional on your aid. I did it because it 's the right thing to do and my Goddess is pleased by such acts. I'm very grateful, we all are, for your assistance." A smile, "I do look forward to seeing what can be built from the frame of this. "


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Nodding in appreciation to his comrades good deeds, Brandt departs to gather the horses and boar to the abandoned fortress before settling in for the evening. "We'll reach Oleg's tomorrow, aye? And what are we telling him when we get there? Is this a 'good evening, we're your new neighbors?"

Brandt looks among the group for consensus on how to approach Oleg tomorrow.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"Why not? Honesty is often the best way to introduce yourself to possible allies. Also, who's to say that he wasn't informed that we were coming? I say, let's approach the place in plain view and without looking threatening. Taking it slow on our approach to give him time to react. We'll see how it goes from there."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Let us play it by ear. No dishonesty but let us keep our guard up and let the chip fall where the may. We have done nothing wrong.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Trust but verify?" Bydar says with a bit of amusement, "I suppose having our weapons handy is wise in these areas."


You pass a pleasant evening in Fort Serenko with Cavan, your first recruit to your endeavor. As he warned, however, the night is raucous with the cries of nightbirds who roost in the crannies of the abandoned fort and in the neighboring copses of trees.

In the morning, Cavan gathers up what few possessions he brought with him to the fort - as well as a few items left behind by the former garrison that he appropriated - and sets out with you westward. From the fort, the road and the river part ways. The Shrike River curves to the southwest, while the South Rostland Road bends to the northwest as it leaves the hill country for the rolling plains beyond.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Riding next to Vera, Brandt addresses her, "What is this Master Oleg like? Have you had experiences with him in the past? I'd like to get a sense of what kind of man he is before meeting him." Looking around the rest of the party, "Or has anyone met him before? Do we think he'll be helpful to our cause? It would be nice to have a more local person to aid us should we require it."

Surveying the roadway and considering the terrain Brandt continues, "This will likely be the last easy day on our horses," glancing at Orlog's boar, "I suppose mounts... So we should take it easy upon them today and we can check hooves and all tonight before striking cross country."


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"Oleg? Of course! I've stopped through his post from time to time -- there are things you simply can't find or make yourself, so need a good shop for. And even the most solitary of us find value in occasional conversation, so most everyone in the area stops in from time to time. Oleg and Svetlana - his wife - are a hub for both supplies and the bit of gossip."

Sava elven:
"Svetlana! Snacks!"

Vera laughs, [b]"Yes, and Svetlana is also a fine source of tasty treats, if you're a shameless little beggar of a bird.

"As the saying goes, though, you can't truly know a guest until they've left, and I've never tried to find the limits of the Levetons' hospitality. Knowing my own life in the Stolen Lands, I assume anyone else making their way out there similarly likes their space. As long as we treat the Levetons, and their space, with respect, I expect we'll find them perfectly pleasant neighbors."

Vera considers the young man for a moment. "I know some of the others in our party have traveled the River Kingdoms before," with a nod at Orlog, "but this is your first excursion? What is it you expect - or hope - to find here?"


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

I have always had good dealing with Oleg...and his wife makes some excellent stew. I have not been there in some time. With the mess the first group made of the area...it is possible that we could face some anger due to our presence.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"I think it's wonderful to hear about- a couple in love, holding fast in these lands? Inspiring." Bydar seems to be a sentimental sort, but then, given his religion, some would say he's in a sentimental calling.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

"When I first ventured into these areas hunting brigands I decided to skip Oleg's and followed the Sellen river some ways. So I never had the pleasure of his wife's stew... Brandt says wistfully, "We didn't have much luck hunting bandits, but a good stew I didn't have to make may have made that trip worthwhile. No bandits or stew..."

Considering Christian's words, "You may have the right of it, we don't know what's transpired here. Let's hope Oleg gives us a fair chance to make a good impression with him."


The following day's travel is characterized by the gravelly road winding through wide, grassy plains dotted with copses of trees and thick tangles of scrub brush. Thankfully, the spring sun remains forgiving, and you are not overburdened by heat. Occasionally, you espy small herds of elk grazing close to the treeline in the distance. As your steeds trot on and the wagon wheels grind against the thin dust upon the road, you have plenty of time to discuss your knowledge of the trading post, the Greenbelt, and its inhabitants. Furthermore, you have time to discuss how your new settlement and the nation it will birth should take shape.

As the day's light fades into orange with the waning afternoon, the trading post finally comes into view. It is the spitting image of Fort Serenko, albeit more lively. Even from a distance you can see several canvas tents and wooden lean-tos huddled around the 10-foot walls of the wooden palisade. Drawing closer, you find that perhaps two dozen men and women meander around the trading post, or merely sit upon empty boxes. Some are playing dice and cards, while others are simply flapping their lips. On the whole, they seem to be an unscrupulous lot, unfamiliar with the meaning of labor.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian keeps the wagon moving along a nice slow pace. He notices the guest that have camped outside the fort and his minds starts to calculate the situation.
These do not look like traders or anyone else that would be here for legitimate business.

He leans back a grabs a pole arm and places it in a sheaf that hangs on the side of the wagon. This will place the weapon in easy reach. He reaches back again and grabs his weapon belt. This time, he place the weapon across his back.
Cavan...If this goes bad...keep your head down and stay out of it. Please.

The young lord looks on at the fort off in the distance.
Do you think we should send out our avian information gatherers? They did a great job last time. I think it would be helpful to know how many people and if they are armed, where they are located. The more details we can get the better we can adapt to this situation.

He glances around.
Keep your eyes open and not just on the obvious people. We may have more company than we realize. I would rather be prepared and not need it than need it and not be ready. We have only been together for a couple of days. It is sink or swim time. If this breaks out into a fight...stay together and work with one another. The last time I was here they had ample room on the wall for archers plus some siege engines in the towers. I think we should keep up with the story that we are travelers looking to restock our supplies before moving along.

Thoughts?


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

"Agreed Christian, " Brandt says, adjusting his longbow. Two dozen, terrible odds for a fight. Let's hope it doesn't come to that

"Playing the part of travelers would be best and keeping our heads down may be what we need to do here. If it comes to it, I'll try and neutralize any ranged combatants until they close with us.

Dismounting from his horse he hands Cavan the reins, saying quietly, "If this goes badly keep the horses between you and them and ride away if we're in real trouble"

Looking down to the massive wolfhound,

Ulfen:
Fenrir, stay close, good boy...

Fenrir emits a low growl before calmly bumping up against Brandt's leg as if looking for a treat.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Nodding at Christian's suggestion, Vera murmurs to the bird,

Vera elven:
"Be a dove and take a loop? Spiral out from Oleg's building; find weapons or angry folk. I double Svetlana's treats for good report."

Sava elven:
"Dove?! No dove! Need good treats."

As the bird flies off to fly a search pattern, she pulls her cloak closer around herself and observes, "I've never been great with crowds - and this doesn't seem like Oleg's style, either? Our predecessors certainly seem to have thrown things out of balance."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Tengu:
"Fly fast and find any unfriendly fraternizers to be feared."

Mister Pink complies with Lord Christian's scouting request as well. Mr. Black sails off in the opposite, circular direction of Sava.

"Wise words ward the wily and the wary. We'll weigh the worth of these wayfarers well."

It is unclear whether Mr. Pink's naturally jerky avian movements reflect an observant and calculating state of combat readiness or that he is simply scanning the scene blankly, lost in his own thoughts.

"Too many to fight. Too many to kill. Best to keep moving, we will."

Taking 10 on perception checks as we approach per usual.

Sleight of Hand:
He also makes an effort to hide his cold-iron shortsword from plain view. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

101 to 150 of 764 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Saga of a New Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.