Saga of a New Land

Game Master vayelan

A Kingmaker campaign of politics, intrigue, and war.

Maps:
Greenbelt Map
Stolen Lands Map
The Abandoned Fort

Encounter Map: Labyrinth Ambush
Party Loot

Resources:
Kingdom Tracker Spreadsheet
Kingdom Building Rules
Kingdom Turn Sequence
Buildings


1 to 50 of 433 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Brandt:
You arrived in Restov too late. By the time you reached the city, the gateway south into the Stolen Lands, you learned that the heroes who defeated the bandit king of the Greenbelt had already come and gone. They were the subject of many boiling rumors, but there was little definite information. However, you also discovered that another group of adventurers was being chartered by the Lord Mayor, and you could not pass up your own chance for fortune and glory.

Bydar:
The Eternal Rose has never been deeply embraced by the Brevic people. The farmers and craftspeople who owe fealty (and taxes) to the various nobles and lordlings of the land instead feel stronger bonds with Pharasma, Abadar, and Gorum. Nevertheless, where beauty is found, it will attract admirers.

The town of Silverhall, cradling House Lebeda’s ancestral castle, is thankfully one such place. Upon the shores of Lake Reykal stands the House of the Lake Rose, the temple of Shelyn (well, a large shrine, really). Often derisively called an “overgrown gazebo,” the shrine is made of marble from the Golushkin Mountains, a bygone gesture of goodwill from House Garess and their dwarven allies.

”Something’s troubling you, my boy,” Lady Tulla said to you one day in the shade of the shrine. The usually soft wrinkles upon the old priestess’ face became as well-defined as the scrollwork upon the shrine’s marble. Seemingly so long ago, when your family deposited you near the Abadaran temple, hoping you would find faith with the Master of the First Vault, it was the sound of Lady Tulla’s violin that initially led you towards Shelyn.

Since then, the priestess has learned to easily read you, her only acolyte. Of course, she also know when not to pry too deeply, such as with the inner conflict that now torments you. Thus, instead of turning this conversation into one of introspection, she simply offers a new path: the invitation from the Lord Mayor of Restov.

Christian:
You never dared to hope that a throne of your own could await in the future. Even hinting at your birthright has hitherto been an exceptionally dangerous prospect. Thus, it was quite the surprise when Jasrella brought this opportunity to your attention. The Lord Mayor of Restov was chartering groups to settle the Stolen Lands. Having been cast out from your own home and spending many years wandering, this was the chance to carve out something real for yourself.

Haane:
You crossed the breadth of Brevoy, from Port Ice to Restov, yet during that time you could never tease forth the meaning of Mister Black’s cryptic words. The raven spoke only in riddles up until you stepped under the eaves of the Lord Mayor’s manor. The superstitious guards took your arrival as an omen and admitted you without hassle when you spoke of an “awaiting kingdom.” Mister Black alighted from your shoulder and perched upon the steeply pitched roof, leaving you to enter alone.

Orlog:
In Brunderton, an overwhelming proportion of the 1,100 residents are dwarves, making the mining town an oddity in Brevoy. Of course, that is also why the Lord Mayor of Restov sent a courier north to Brunderton.

”If they’re going to settle the wilds, they would be foolish not to court our craftsmen for the task,” your old master said with a smile when he passed along the invitation that fateful dawn at the shop.

Vera:
Such was your family’s embarrassment that they sacrificed an uncanny opportunity simply to be rid of you again. They passed along the invitation from the Lord Mayor of Restov, regarding a charter for settlement, with the hollow suggestion that you would be serving as the family’s representative.

Lord Mayor Ioseph Sellemius' office is dominated by a long table of polished walnut. Tall windows look down upon the pitched roofs of Restov stretching out below the upper floor of his hall. The walls are lined with many tapestries, maps, and woodcuts. The table before you is bare, except for a silver tray bearing eight cups and a silver pitcher of water.

The Lord Mayor is an aging paragon of the Rostlandic spirit. He wears a sharply tailored suit beneath his frock coat, yet carries a dueling sword at his hip and thick brass rings upon his fingers. His head is topped by wispy white hair, reminiscent of a young sheep, but his goatee and mustache remain as sharply manicured as a trio of daggers. A small sheaf of papers, dense with calligraphic script, sit neatly piled beside his folded hands.

"I will skip the preamble and strike straight at the heart of the matter, if you don't mind," Sellemius declares. "Rostland, on behalf of the Dragonscale Throne, is prepared to issue a charter for the founding of a new nation south of our borders. This charter comes with a generous stipend of funding to ensure the success and prosperity of this endeavor.

"As you can imagine, this is an unparalleled opportunity that many would fight and die for. Each of you have been selected not just for the diverse skills you offer but also the strength of your character, which will be all too necessary here."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt sits, his tall frame almost stretching out of the chair, while a massive wolfhound naps behind him. "Thank you Lord Mayor," Brandt begins self-consciously, "I'm certain we will do our best as commanded."

Brandt looks around, slightly nervously, which makes him seem ill-placed in this room. Green eyes twinkle above his massive blond beard, which almost reaches his chest. His grey leather jerkin tight across his shoulders, and a cloak, or cape, which cannot seem to decide if it is brown, or green, or grey. Resting just below his throat is an Ulfen stylized holy symbol of Erastil. He appears mostly unarmed, save for a pair of daggers in his belt, betraying the viking image of an Ulfen by seeming unprepared for battle.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

So many buildings...like a tractless forest, but cut down and re-erected into a more sterile version of itself. Vera gazes distractedly out the window at the city below while the Lord Mayor speaks, still generally overwhelmed by the human bustle of the city.

"Lissin!" trills a small, mottled bird perched on her shoulder, giving her a brief poke with its beak.

Wincing slightly, the woman reaches up and tucks her hair behind her pointed ear, casually brushing the bird off her shoulder. As it flutters to land on the other shoulder of her stained and patched cloak, she turns her piercing gaze to regard the Mayor, and attempts to keep her tone light. "A new nation? To what end does Rostland make this investment? Was that silly self-styled bandit king so effective a gnat that it stirred a dragon to action?"

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Haane spends several minutes standing in the corner of the room in silence, motionlessly observing everyone and everything around him. His avian eyes flit back and forth in front of an overwhelming flood of thoughts.

Who are these people? They offer a nation to me freely? Why me? Why now? How far south? How much money? Is this a trick? Is this water poisoned? What's on those papers? A deed? A title? A writ of assassination? Questions! Too many questions! I must know more... Patience. Slowly the answers will come. Slowly now.

The timid and raggedly brown-feathered tengu slowly approaches the table in an effort to steal a glance at the contents of the calligraphic paperwork resting near the Lord Mayor. He attempts to misdirect his potentially intrusive observation of the nearby documents by pretending to inspect the silver pitcher on the table along with each of its eight accompanying cups.

When appropriate to talk without interrupting or if he gets caught peeking at the sheaf of papers, he will speak.

"My apologies but Mister Pink is no one. Your Lordship would bestow a lordly gift upon him without the why of it? There must be a catch to catch a nation, yes?"


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Before:
Bydar admits, "You read me to the heart of it. I have a strong need to remake myself, wanting to please the goddess and be worthy of her love again. But I fear I am not sure where to start. "

But then Lady Tulla hands him over the scroll and invitation, and he is stunned, "How did you know I needed..." A smile, "Perhaps this is a sign from the goddess that there is work to be had in her calling and she will not let my self recrimination hold me from the beauty of life. I thank you, Lady. Of course, I will go"

He will write a letter or three to let those he cares for know he is leaving. Mother and Father should be pleased, they'll see this as him taking a bold venture that might help the family. But there are at least two people he's not sure he can face.

No, better to leave letters to certain newlyweds.

Bydar comes dressed as a priest, not a noble, but there is a signet ring of house Lebeda , nothing flashy. A young man, no older than 20 years. He's a handsome fellow, whose brown hair seems to shine a brighter lighter shade when the light hits it right. Despite mostly taldan heritage, he is clean shaven. His garments and holy symbol mark him (for those that know the faith) to be a priest of Shelyn.

He listens intently to the Lord Mayor, but it is Vera's comment he finds himself nodding to, "It is an incredibly generous offer, but a buffer state against bandits? It sounds atypical. They must be far more organized or dangerous than the usual criminal threat."


Lord Mayor Sellemius clears his throat before responding to the anticipated questions.

"The so-called Stolen Lands have always rightfully belonged to Brevoy," he replies to Vera. "The trouble has been that barbarians from Numeria and Iobaria, criminals from the River Kingdoms, and bickering monster tribes have long confounded our efforts to settle and reclaim the territory."

Sellemius retrieves a map case that sits propped against his chair. He unlatches the top and withdraws a pair of rolled up maps from within. One is quite large and worn, while the other is smaller and looks relatively new.

”These maps represent the culmination of many seasons and much gold,” he proudly announces, as though he had a hand in their creation. ”The larger map is one of the best depictions of the Stolen Lands in all of Rostland. This other one, produced more recently, is a more detailed record of the Greenbelt region within the Stolen Lands. This territory is the subject of the charter of colonization drafted by the Swordlords and approved by the Dragonscale Throne. Most recently, a self-styled bandit king calling himself the Stag Lord held sway over the Greenbelt, but he and his band of thieves have been dealt with. With this criminal presence eliminated, now the task at hand is to break ground on a settlement and lay claim to what rightfully belongs to Rostland and Brevoy.”

Knowledge (Nobility):
The fact that the Lord Mayor, quite incautiously, prioritizes Rostland ahead of Brevoy as a whole offers a hint to his true loyalties. Of course, it also suggests the level of trust he has in the group assembled here - for better or for worse.

With the tense political situation between Rostland and Issia, the two halves of Brevoy, if such efforts to set up vassal states were perceived as a power grab, it could cause outright conflict between the two factions.

Knowledge (Geography):
The "Stolen Lands" are wide swathe of wilderness wedged between the Rostland Plains, the River Kingdoms proper, and Numeria. It is actually composed of several smaller regions: the Greenbelt, the Hooktongue Slough, the Nomen Heights, and the Glenebon Uplands.

Knowledge (History):
Over the centuries, many attempts have been made to settle the Stolen Lands. One of the oldest and most notable was attempted by Taldor's Fifth Army of Exploration, and many ruins and mines have supposedly been left behind by their efforts. Despite the fact that no nation can hold the Stolen Lands for long, the attempts of colonization has caused considerable consternation between all parties.

Knowledge (Local):
Some weeks ago, the Swordlords chartered several groups of explorers to chart the Stolen Lands. Immediately, local tongues wagged that this was a first step towards expanding into those wild territories. When the group dispatched to the Greenbelt broke up a bandit gang that had dominated the area, it was exciting news in the streets of Restov. However, this also led to much speculation about why this group of adventurers was not to be commissioned for the anticipated settlement.

Knowledge (Planes):
Some scholars have posited that the barriers between the Material Plane and the First World are unusually thin in the Stolen Lands. Others speculate that there may be gateways to other planes hidden in the deep, forgotten place of that region. These hypotheses are often used to explain the preternaturally wild nature of the region.

Knowledge (Nature):
The Stolen Lands host many wild animals, including wolves, bears, boars, and elk. Stranger beasts include owlbears, giant frogs, and thylacines. Furthermore, a number of monstrous humanoid tribes call the region home, including centaurs, lizardfolk, and boggards. Lastly, the region supposedly harbors many small enclaves of fey creatures, such as grigs and nixies.

Just some simple information on various topics that you would know with the pertinent skills.

Sellemius turns to address the avian adventurer, but he pauses to mull his words before speaking.

”Admittedly, Mister, er, Pink, your inclusion in this charter was the most unexpected. However, one of the patrons of this endeavor stated that a man matching your, ahem, description would arrive, and advised that you be included. She was quite insistent, in fact.”

The Lord Mayor swallows a lump in his throat.

”It is the culmination of various complications that necessitated the invitations that brought each of you here. For instance, the local bankers of Abadar politely declined sending a representative due to their...internal concerns, and similar matters precluded us from reaching out to the priests of Erastil. Thus, we appealed to the priesthood of Shelyn, such as it is in Rostland, for divine support," he says with a nod towards Bydar.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

My post got ninjad...

As they others arrive.:

Christian looks on as the last of the wagons came rolling into the inner courtyard of his makeshift camp. The camp was not ideal but it was defensible thanks in no small part to the efforts of the engineers. Argent Dracas was escorting several dozen freed slaves and an equal amount of orcs. The orcs were part of a larger group that had set up shop along the south Rostland road..in the abandon Fort Serenko. It was not an easy task and Christian had many wounded. Assaulting the fort during the late afternoon was the only way to secure it while most of the enemy were asleep.

The engineers worked day and night to set up a defensible position and with no towers or ramparts, the simple defensible wooden staked wall surrounding the tents was better than nothing. The city, a short distance away, helped matters. No one would dare try and assault a fortified position this close to a well defended city. Do you think this is wise? The voice was beautiful and delicate but the underlining tone was filled with an awesome power. Jasrella was a elegant woman who preferred her dealings to be quick, explosive and deadly. She kept that temper in check due to her almost decade of soldier training. Christian smiled at his XO...It is not ideal but this contract could be the start of something better for...all of us. Besides the troops deserve to have their families here with them. Too long have they been scattered all over the world. It will do them good to know that they are all safe and ready to help us create a home.
I hope this works, it is a big gamble. Not only could this be the end of the unit, all of our families and friends would suffer as well.

Christian turns and looks at Jasrella
Double the watch and change the rotations and routes hourly. I do not want anyone to know our routines. Jasrella looks at Christian and gives him a simple nod.
I will see to it right away.
Christian turns to oversee the unloading of the equipment. He can hear Jasrella giving the orders to the sergeant.
I want the watch doubled and on controlled chaos. Make sure the dice are taken away for the night.
She turn towards Christian smiling. You know...they will drink and gamble their salt away now that we are here.
True...so let us get them started on the drinking part.

The two leaders walk toward the fire in the center of their camp, trusting in those unfortunate to draw guard duty, to do their jobs. Once at the center of camp, Christian takes some time to look around at what they have created over the years. Ulfen inspired A-framed tents lined in neat rows. Horses groomed, watered and fed, The weapons and armor on racks ready to be put to use if the need should arise. Several patrols of guards are walking about. In the center of the encampment there is a monster of a tent, a forty by forty pavilion. Five foot thick black and red strips run from the ground up to the top of the tent. Along the side of the tent is an image of a detailed silver dragon displayed with a tower shield clenched in it's claws. There is a phrase stitched into the shield, Draco Invictus.

A boy of 5 comes running up to him yelling his name. Uncle Christian!!!! The boy is the son of the only man he has lost to conflict. Darkan was a good man but ultimately he died protecting the unit. Grabbing the boy and hoisting him high into the air. You are getting so big, come let us go and celebrate our fortune. Walking with the boy towards the make shift bar. Christian puts the boy down and looks around the assemble men and women. Stopping when the see his man…Big G, give us a song please...
Giovanni stands taller than anyone else in the group, his voice is deep with a strong and thick accent but his song warms the hearts and souls of those gathered.
Drink, for the wind blows cold and
Drink for The Wolf runs free.
Drink to the ships with sails like wings and
Drink to the storm-tossed seas.
Drink to the lasting nights
and those who warm our beds.
Drink to the mead that warms our hearts
and the cold that clears our head.
Drink to the Allfather's Eye
for Odin's sons are we.
Drink to the World-Tree where he hung
and the Runes of Mystery.
Drink to the truth of steel
and blood that falls like rain.
Drink to Valhalla's golden walls
and to our kinsmen, slain.
Drink to the Glory-field
where a man embraces death, and
thank the gods that we live at all
with our joyous dying breath!
Drink for the wind blows cold and
Drink for the Wolf runs free
Drink to the ships with the sails like wings
for Odin's sons are we!

The cheers are loud and long as the assemble members all shout.
Take a big drink!!!

The ale and mead are passed around freely and all enjoy the songs and stories of times long ago.
Do you think...this is wise?
Christian puts down his drinking vessel and looks over at his XO…
It is not wise to be late, but it also is not wise to be early... seeing the way his XO looks at him, Christian decided that he should heed her warnings and heads off towards his tent to change.

Christian is just finishing getting ready for the party, when he realizes that he still has his signet ring on. Taking it off, he places it on a chain around his neck. Looking at Jasrella
Have not been to one of these things in a very long time, let us hope that I do not get us killed...or worse.

Christian enters the room wearing red pants, white shirt and a black doublet. Over this ensemble is a travel coat of black with silver trim. The outfit is simple yet stylish. He carries no weapons or armor save for a small knife used for feats. Not sure what will happen, he nods respectfully to the others and takes a seat. When the Lord Mayor enters, Christian stands and waits until it is proper to sit down again. His demeanor is calm as he listens to the Lord Mayor.
Standing tall the attractive young man looks around to the gathered group and then settles his eyes on the mayor.
Lord Mayor, first let me say thank you for this opportunity and the trust you have in our abilities.
He pauses and gives a slight bow and continues.
The logistics in claiming the lands to the south are daunting to say the least and the creation of a new nation is...well...as you say...an unparalleled opportunity. It is obvious that we are going to have many questions and... he looks to the others with respect ...I think we can hold them for now and give you the time to further explain this grand adventure.
He then returns to his seat in hopes that the Lord Mayor will continue.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar looks over the map but he also listens to something between the lines Oh dear. The games of Kings and Swordlords.... both my faith and family thrive on peace when it can be had. As do the lives of many innocents. Maybe I can help this transition be less bloody.

"One hears strange stories of the Stolen lands, of doors left slightly ajar to the unseen." He wont' going to be so crass as to mention the man's loyalties in front of him.

Quote:
”It is the culmination of various complications that necessitated the invitations that brought each of you here. For instance, the local bankers of Abadar politely declined sending a representative due to their...internal concerns, and similar matters precluded us from reaching out to the priests of Erastil. Thus, we appealed to the priesthood of Shelyn, such as it is in Rostland, for divine support," he says with a nod towards Bydar.

"I'm honored to serve as a face for the priesthood here. The idea of helping bring beauty to a land, make it possible for others and their loved ones to thrive in peace, it is most enticing. Shelyn tries to see the good within as well as without, in both people and realms. I admit to being more than a little optimistic"

At Christian's comments , he nods, curious if the others or the Lord Mayor have more to say.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Christian quietly looks around that room at the others that have been summoned, returning the priest of Shelyn's gesture in kind.
A priest of Shelyn...interesting...so why have the other churches decline? Ulfen...need to introduce him to Liam. Mister Pink? He has my attention. A dwarf. Wonder if he has skills...could use a good smith. And whom is this little elf...no part elf, a half elf. She appears to have a way with her words. Best to not piss her off.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

With his invitation in hand, Orlog sit in the back of the cart that is bringing him to Restov. He keeps rereading the thing over and over. Finally! A second chance to prove myself. This time, I will be better prepared." Eventually the cart stops in front the Lord Mayor's office. Orlog makes his way to the meeting room, wondering along the way who will be the other people there. He hopes in a way that there would be another dwarf, or at least some other priests be nice, someone who understand the long and complicated task of crafting something out of raw materials.

As he walks into the room, he takes a measure of those there. Great, three humans, an elf, and a... a... What are those called again? Something else also became clear to Orlog almost immediately. He was the only one in full gear. Damn, I'm overdressed... again... With his full plate, large shield, and his Warhammer, he looks more like someone going to war then to a meeting. With a sigh, he drops his bag along the wall and walks over to sit down. He takes off his shield from his back and place his helmet on the table. Sitting down, he leans the shield against himself and waits silently for the meeting to start.

When the meeting starts, he listens to the others. His skills didn't lie in the art of words. Steel was what he knew, and steel was how he expresses himself. Whether it was to make weapons or use them.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

She knows! Of course she knows. This explains everything... And nothing. It is time to play our game once more. Why else would Mister Black have brought me here? The pieces are set... now we must give them names.

Mister Pink steps back from the table gracefully, removes his tattered bamboo hat with a flourish and bows deeply before performing his introduction.

"With all manner of manners, I formally greet myself unto all of thee! I am The Whisperer in the Mist, The Servant of Secrets, The Reclaimer of the Stolen and The Undrowned Blade!"

He returns to the tray of cups, removes a small sash to use as a napkin and begins to pour and serve drinks in equal measure to everyone.

"You may simply call me Mister Pink, if it pleases you, and I am at your behest in birthing this beautiful new nation of ours. It would give me great pleasure to learn all of your names as well."


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Your manners are impeccable, Mr. Pink and your titles as colorful as your name," The priest smiles and inclines his head, "I am Bydar, priest of Shelyn, and, in interest of openness, born of House Lebeda though it is my faith I serve in this endeavor chiefly. Thank you for the drink, most kind of you." He does take it when offered. "But you need not serve any of us so, we are , it seems to be peers in this journey yes?"

He has never seen a Tengu before this, and adds, "I must admit, you are the first of your people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I look forward to learning a bit more of your culture on the journey if you are so inclined."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Reaching for a goblet and filling it with water, Brandt begins. "My name is Brandt, son of Oluff the Tall, son of Snorri Frostbane; but here Oluffson works for my family name." Indicating the sleeping wolfhound, "That is Fenrir, and he's a friendly one usually." Hearing his name Fenrir lifts his head and scans the room sleepily, eventually returning to his nap.

They speak relatively freely, I'm not sure what to do here. Obviously not one but TWO lords in the room.

"Lord mayor, comrades, this seems quite an undertaking for those of us. I have seen maps of these lands before, but these are almost without peer! I have acted as a huntsmaster and guide in the woods, and can steer a ship as need be, although I doubt we'll be much for river travel given the relative shallowness these appear to have. Brandt concludes, nervously retreating from the focus of the room.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

When have the Abadarites turned down a chance to inflict order on the wilds? Vera wonders. This expedition must be even more ill-fated than my own presence would indicate, for them to pass up such an opportunity! ...Come to think of it, none here appear to be obvious choices for this task -- with the possible exception of the smartly dressed young man? -- perhaps the backers of this mission hope it to fail. Curious indeed.

With a small bow in return, she accepts the offered glass from the Tengu. "Thank you, Mister Pink. I am Miss Ravenholdt, of -- the Stolen Lands," she decides, with a glance at the Lord Mayor. "You may call me Vera, as we are to work together. Hopefully for some time, though I've seen enough expeditions to those lands suffer an untimely end that it shall take not just work, but substantial luck, if we are to succeed."

At the bird's sharp chirp from her shoulder, she adds, "And the constant voice in my ear is Sava. You'll find him ...opinionated."

"And you, sir?" she looks to Orlog. "What leads you to this company?"


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

When everyone turns to Orlog, he realises that his plan of staying quiet just flew out of the window. He stands and hold his shield up. "My name is Orlog Brightshield." As if to explain his surname, he taps on his shield. The metal of the shield shine like it was made from silver. Those that knows anything about armor smithing realise that it is most likely made of Mithral. "I am a follower of Torag, a Weaponsmith, and an armorsmith. If needed I can smash foes with my hammer just as if I was betting hot steel." Putting down the shield he continues talking. "In the past, I participated in an effort to establish a colony out there. While our effort were not successful, I believe my experience from that attempt can only help this adventure." He sits back down and looks around the table at everyone present, then focus on the Lord Mayor. "So, what is next?"


"The next step," Sellemius begins, rotating the smaller regional map so that he can better read the notations, "would be selecting a site to break ground on a settlement. The...expedition we sent to explore the region identified three promising locations," he declares, pausing briefly but noticeably to inject venom into his mention of the previous group

As he describes them, the Lord Mayor points them out with a knotted finger upon the map.

"The first is this trading post in the north, operated by a Mister Leveton, I believe. It was originally an old border fort, so it should provide decent protection. The post also sits upon the South Rostland Road, offering a vital link back to Restov. Mister Leveton has been described as a disagreeable fellow, but a reminder that his business comes at the largesse of Rostland should ensure his cooperation."

His finger then slides towards a point southwest of the trading post, hidden within the forest.

"Next we have this unusual site, which was hitherto unknown on prior charts of the area. The previous expedition called it the Temple of the Elk, and they offered little information beyond describing it as a holy site of Erastil. I suppose it could be a useful landmark if you hope to attract pilgrims," he sighs with a hint of dismissal, "But I'm not sure if any among you are of that faith."

At last, he highlights some sort of tower or ruin upon the banks of a lake in the southern hills.

"Finally, we have the stronghold vacated by the routed bandits. One of the previous explorers, who fancied himself an antiquarian, was overly detailed in his notes. In short, he describes the place as the ruins of a Iobarian keep, though I have trouble imagining those plague-addled savages being capable of putting together more than a lean-to. Anyhow, although it sits far from the road, it commands a strategic location in the region, particularly in regards to these waterways."

He idly gesticulates with his fingers, referring to the three or four rivers that spider their way out from the lake.

"Of course, there is no guarantee that the stronghold has remained vacant in the time since the last of those bandits was put to the sword."


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Christian rubs his hand across his goatee and with a look of deep thought, he sighs slightly. Standing up and walking across the room towards the Lord Mayor and the newly produced maps. Looking down at the map and the areas that were indicated.

I have had some dealings with Master Leveton and his wife in the past. I personally have never had problems with them. His outpost is a defensible position. In my opinion the outpost is best left as is for now. It is best that we do not start off this new endeavor with a forceful hand on the locals.

He let his finger move down to the temple.
This temple is also best left alone for now. A lost temple is as good a reason as any for worshipers to come and reclaim what is theirs. It would be a bad idea to stand in between even after we did all the work of rebuilding it.

His finger follows down along the map until he reaches the fort.
This...I feel is the best place to start. It is a structure that should be defensible....especially if this old bandit lord decided to take up residence there. It also lies along the a lake for trade and is not too far off from other key locations within the greenbelt. Two bridges that span the river. We are also not too far off from this mine as well. The land between the outpost and this location is not too difficult that we could not continue South Rostland Road on from Master Levetens outpost. That is my suggestion.

He stands and looks at the others for a moment before he continues on.
I am Lord Christian D'Elagante of Argent Dracos. A pleasure to meet all of you.
His smile is genuine and kind.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Vera nods at Christian's reasoning, pleased that he voiced her own thoughts.

A light hand and respect to those who precede this party, yes -- let us focus on that part of the Greenbelt already bloodied by the bandits.

"Wisely said, Lord D'Elagante. I agree that the shrine to Erastil should be left to Erastil's own to lay claim to, and that the Levetons' be left to, well, the Levetons.

"Besides the which, if our desire is to carve out a new state, and not merely a border garrison of Rostland, I expect the more southerly location would more clearly communicate that intent?" She quirks an eyebrow at the Lord Mayor with this last.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt stands, surveying the map which Lord Christian indicated several sites. Looking from those who spoke to the others in the room, "I tend to agree with both Vera and Lord Christian's assessment. While I follow Old Deadeye I wouldn't exactly say I have divine inspiration in my background, so perhaps its best to allow that to sit idle," furrowing his brow before continuing on, "although I would like to visit that site," tapping the bronze holy symbol upon his chest.

I do believe that the southernmost site with solid access to waterways and being nearby that mine is attractive. And while I like being in the woods, it is much easier to defend open fields than with trees everywhere." Maybe I can even build a great dragonship there, of course I would need tools...

Glancing at those who haven't offered their opinions, Brandt shrugs his shoulders, "It would also seem to me that if Master Leveton can be difficult, sending supplies through his outpost would perhaps make him an ally as his pockets would be more lined with gold..." Brandt concludes with a wry grin.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Smith Brightshield, Lord D'Elagante, a pleasure to meet you as well."

At the mention of the three locations, Bydar smiles, "I would dearly love to see the temple of the Elk, and I would be happy to help pilgrims of such a goodly faith but that can indeed come later and it does seem intrusive to presume on Erastil's behalf... unless Goodman Oluffson requests it, as , judging by the symbol he wears, he is a follower of Erastil."

When Brandt confirms that, he smiles and finds himself agreeing further. "That settles that. Be happy to go with you if you'd have a non believer pay respect."

"Good to know a couple in love may thrive in these lands," He hears at mention of the Outpost, "But I echo the idea of leaving Levetons be. Why antagonize a possible source of trade? If we get this thriving, they will be glad to be a way point on the road between us and Brevoy for business sake even if he gets more visitors passing through" a suggestion, "We should on the way to the fort area, stop by the out post, and perhaps even ask for their input... and assure them we will be moving on? We'll be precious short on friends and allies in these lands. I say we at least meet our neighbors."

And a tap at the fort location, "I agree, sounds most defensible, and , depending on the time of day, we might even get a rather glorious view of the sun on the waters. Further more, it sounds like it might be the best bones to build on if it it really is more than a lean too." His eyes actually light up, [B]"Can you imagine? Not just a defensible location with water access, but the potential for beauty in the construction. I hope it's at least half as promising as my imaginings. Why this could be a working that will make both Shelyn and Torag smile," with a nod of respect to the good dwarf. with them.

Edited to show he's not ignoring Brandt because his post wasn't up when I started this thing :)


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt nods at the cleric, "It would be grand should you accompany me to that holy place, Goodman Bydar, and I think meeting the neighbors could be quite useful, especially if they are the only ones we know of..." Brandt awkwardly tries to incorporate the formality of Bydar's tone, and flushes slightly about his likely misstep in naming.


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

If the cleric is the least bit offended, it does not show, rather he seems glad for the acceptance on the idea of visiting the temple, "Wonderful. One never knows what one might learn appreciating the beauty found within other faiths' ways. I once saw a temple of Sarenrae with arches and flourishes that seemed impossible until an engineer explained to me there was no magic involved at all. Amazing."

Yes, he is quite excited about the opportunities.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"There is definitely beauty to be found in the Narlmarches," Vera says fondly. "I don't know the shrine in question, but the forest is filled with a certain wild majesty that I hope you will appreciate.

"We will have other neighbors as well, but - like the Levetons - most of the Narlmarches' residents will prefer to interact on their own terms. ...Not all friendly terms, as it sounds like our Smith friend's experience can attest to."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mister Pink glances over at the map as well but tries to stay out of the way of the others. He caws his approval in concordance with the rest of the group.

These names are brave and bold. They do not fear the dangers that lie unknown in the waterways. Easier for me to know them and learn. This is good.

"Yes. This stronghold is a strong choice. The rivers will deliver us strength. The rest will follow the flow."


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"I do worry that of all of us, I'll be the least ready for the wilds, but I will defer to the more learned among you in that. As for the beauty of it, Shelyn encourages natural beauty to be preserved if possible, even if only in the form of wooded reserves and the like. Maybe , and I realize I leap far too far ahead, we should consider that in the future?"


Vera Ravenholdt wrote:
"Besides the which, if our desire is to carve out a new state, and not merely a border garrison of Rostland, I expect the more southerly location would more clearly communicate that intent?" She quirks an eyebrow at the Lord Mayor with this last.

"Why yes, of course," the Lord Mayor says with a growing smile and knowing nod. "That is very astute."

The smile flees from his face as a new thought clearly crosses his mind.

"Now, we certainly won't be sending you into the wilds on your own. We have commissioned a company of mercenaries who will accompany you. Think of them as your first set of town guards. They will be led by one Sir Kesten, a distant cousin or some-such of House Garess. Though his name may not be notable, I'm told he's a soldier of some merit. He and his men will be at your command."

The look of severity deepens within the lines on the aged Lord Mayor's brow and cheeks.

"For the sake of honesty and trust, I will disclose that Sir Kesten and his band will have another purpose beyond simply protecting your nascent settlement. They will be tasked with locating and arresting a group of traitors we believe to be lurking in the region."


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Traitors?" Bydar raises a brow, "Please, elaborate? What did they do, and who are they?"


Bydar wrote:
"Traitors?" Bydar raises a brow, "Please, elaborate? What did they do, and who are they?"

"This is perhaps the most difficult, and doubtless the most delicate, aspect of the business at hand," Sellemius concedes. "The first group of explorers chartered to explore and pacify the Greenbelt performed their appointed task admirably. Messengers carried updates on their accomplishments: pacifying local tribes of monsters, charting landmarks, and ultimately defeating the bandit lord that held sway over the region."

The Lord Mayor's face twists into a grimace as recounting the next chain of events fills him with bitterness.

"Then, just as the Swordlords prepared to draft a new charter decreeing the right to rule, intercepted communications proved that the first expedition was, in fact, composed of naught but spies. It was discovered that their true loyalties lay with Taldor, and their intent was to build up their holdings using Brevoy's resources, only to swear allegiance to that decadent empire."


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11

Orlog studies the map with the others. "An old temple is a good thing to have. It attracts pilgrims, and pilgrim usually spent money went they travel. Some might even stay and become citizens." He then moves his sight to another spot on the map. "Humm, a mine nearby is also a blessing. While I work with iron and steel, a gold mine would allow us to raise money to buy the necessities that the colony will need. Those two spots need to be high in the priority list."

When the talks turn to the preceding group that cleared the area, Orlog frowns. "Traitors you say? Then it will be part of our duties to bring those felons to justice. I'm looking forward to meeting that Sir Kesten fellow."


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"Ah, that explains a few things! Well, I suppose no better way to start an already doomed endeavor than with powerful enemies arrayed against us!

"It sounds as though Sir Keston will be your agent in this new land, shall we expect him to relay messages of trade and diplomacy as well, or is he to be dedicated to the hunt of Taldor's agents?"

She looks to her companions and shrugs. "I'm headed back regardless - the Narlmarches are home anymore - and I'm up for seeing how this plays out."


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

As the other agree with his assessment of the land area, Christian nods his thanks.
So for the most part we agree that the fort along the Tusk Water is our best option for a starting point. We should not take lightly the reports of Iobarians...even if it came from a traitor. We also should investigate all the landmarks within this region that those same traitors explored. It will be time consuming but we should verify the validity of those reports.

Looking at the map he points to several different locations. His words are kind and his tone is respectful with an underlining sense of authority.
We should make for the Outpost and make our intentions known. We then travel southwest and skirt the woods towards the Throne river. We may even stop by this mine to inspect it. Then we make for the Thorn River Camp here. I would rather try each bridge as we go along then back track unnecessarily. If we are able to cross there we do so and continue on the western side of the river down to our main objective. The fort on the Tusk Water. Once there we set up our defenses and after we have our people in place and the fort is secured...
He again looks at the map, pointing at several locations.We should secure these bridges closest to our location and repair them if needed. It is vital we have these structure under our control as it will help to maintain our foothold in the region. It appears that there are not many places to cross the Thorn River or the Shrike River and we need to gain control over that. We should also investigate the Kobolds and mites that our predecessors had dealings with. Those two groups are close to all that we are looking to control at the start. Secure those objectives is what we should do first. With those goals attained we have the ability to create a direct path from the fort to the outpost. That will be our lifeline to civilization for some time to come. Thoughts?

The young man looks around the room at these people that have been brought together for this event. His eyes stop at Bydar.
I know that you will do just fine and will no doubt grow from this experience. Do not worry much about the wilds. Listen to your heart and rely on your training. Remember we are all in this together and we will be leaning on each other for aid and advice.

Lord Mayor there are many many question to be asked and you have graciously answer a lot of them. I thank you for your candor on all of this but I still have many questions that I fear are a bit direct. There is no real way of asking them that will not sound proper. I beg your pardon if I offend. That is not my intent...this situation is unparalleled to say it mildly.

His voice remains calm and gentle and proceeds with a respectful tone.
Rostland, on behalf of the Dragonscale Throne has put together all of us for reclaiming the lands to the south from the wilds and it would appear Taldorian spies. You are giving us a generous stipend to start off, which is greatly appreciated by the way. Are we expected to repay this stipend and what are the terms if that be the case? We are going to be the ones doing the work to create a new nation and that would mean we are making the decisions on how best to move forward on all topics...or are we doing this simply for the some mysterious patrons or even for Brevoy? or Rostland These lands rightfully belong to Brevoy...I guess what I am trying to ask is this nation that we are building...actually ours or are we to be agents of someone else?

Sir Kesten is a welcomed addition to our mission but I do not know him or his men. How long will he be under contract and with whom is the contract with. Is his first priority this new nation or is it the traitors.
They too may be spies for our patrons or someone else...

These traitors that are running free somewhere within the lands... who they are, what they are capable of and what did the do in these lands. You surely have a dossier on the people by now. It is best that we know as much information as possible along with an drawling of them. Is there anything you can pass along to us?


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Of course, if Brevoy should discover that the Lord Mayor and Restov have pretty much handed over a colony to the south with a chance of further expansion into Brevoy itself within the next century, they will be furious. And it does Rostland little better for they face it first.

Bydar does find Vera's ability and manner of 'rolling with it' amusing and has to fight a chuckle. "We appreciate the delicate situation... and as Smith Brightshield says, will seek them out. A listing of the Taldor agents, either from yourself or Sir Keston will be very useful. The more we know of their capabilities, the better prepared we will be I think."

Quote:

Looking at the map he points to several different locations. His words are kind and his tone is respectful with an underlining sense of authority.

We should make for the Outpost and make our intentions known. We then travel southwest and skirt the woods towards the Throne river. We may even stop by this mine to inspect it. Then we make for the Thorn River Camp here. I would rather try each bridge as we go along then back track unnecessarily. If we are able to cross there we do so and continue on the western side of the river down to our main objective. The fort on the Tusk Water. Once there we set up our defenses and after we have our people in place and the fort is secured...
He again looks at the map, pointing at several locations.We should secure these bridges closest to our location and repair them if needed. It is vital we have these structure under our control as it will help to maintain our foothold in the region. It appears that there are not many places to cross the Thorn River or the Shrike River and we need to gain control over that. We should also investigate the Kobolds and mites that our predecessors had dealings with. Those two groups are close to all that we are looking to control at the start. Secure those objectives is what we should do first. With those goals attained we have the ability to create a direct path from the fort to the outpost. That will be our lifeline to civilization for some time to come. Thoughts?

"I think you have a gift for planning and I find most of your ideas quite sensible." He admits. "While I am no engineer, I have some architectural training in designs, perhaps that will help us with the bridges. We definitely do need to check for lingering dangers. One cannot have a nation without people, and people will not come to a land that is trying to kill them."

Quote:


The young man looks around the room at these people that have been brought together for this event. His eyes stop at Bydar.
I know that you will do just fine and will no doubt grow from this experience. Do not worry much about the wilds. Listen to your heart and rely on your training. Remember we are all in this together and we will be leaning on each other for aid and advice."[/B]

"Thank you, I will try to learn enough from the rest of you about surviving in the wilds that I am not too great a burden," He says , his eyes sparking with a bit of youthful zest, "Whatever else, this will be quite an adventure."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt nods grimly at Lord Christian, "Aye, I agree with you about the route, it would be wise of us to make certain we have a way from the outpost, should this Master Leveton prove amenable. The issue of Taldan spies changes how I think about approaching this, and we should be cautious of traps and alliances they may have formed. I would like to journey to the temple on our way there if possible, for I suspect we will not have time for sight-seeing once we begin this endeavor."

Nodding to Bydar, "I may not be well-trained in these arts either, but I can swing an axe and use a saw to help with those bridges. They can't be that much different than boats, both are made of wood and have something to do with water!" he finishes, grinning at the priest.

"It is my assumption Sir Kesten will be there to apprehend these spies to face justice? Is he also there to assist us, or to be an aide-de-camp, or to act as courier to yourself? Brandt address the last to the Lord Mayor, awaiting response.

Edited for grammar and formatting


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Despite her overall skepticism of this endeavor, Vera finds herself warming somewhat to the apparently inevitable idea of spending time with these people. There is humility among them that will serve well in learning the ways of the river -- to follow the flow, as the tengu puts it. Boldness too, though, in the young lord.

She reads the notes on the map over Lord Christian's shoulder as he outlines his plan. "Your proposal seems as sound as any can be -- we are prudent to plan for but tenuous connection to Brevoy for at least some time, and to rely on what resources we can locally in the meantime.

"The exploration party appears to have been thorough. I hope they didn't pester dear Bokken overmuch -- the dear man does not do well with commotion. And I've never known the kobolds or mites to be more than a nuisance. I shall be curious to see if anything remains of them for us to engage; I agree that we must deal with them one way or another to keep them from becoming our nuisance."


Lord Christian D'Elagante wrote:
"These traitors that are running free somewhere within the lands... who they are, what they are capable of and what did the do in these lands. You surely have a dossier on the people by now. It is best that we know as much information as possible along with an drawling of them. Is there anything you can pass along to us?"

"Yes, of course. I recall that the expedition consisted of five individuals," Sellemius speaks as he rifles through the documents beside his folded hands. "They were led by a pair of brothers. Well, half-brothers I presume, as one was clearly of mixed parentage. Whitehollow was their name, if my memory serves."

He continues to flip through the records and missives, eventually finding the pertinent information.

"Here we go. Galen and Ortho Whitehollow. They claimed to be veterans of a mercenary company looking to offer their services to Brevoy. They brought with them a very solemn man of magical talents named Gregor Rakovan, and an Abadaran priest named Barris Volklev."

Sense Motive DC 12:
The poorly disguised, bitter tone the Lord Mayor uses when describing this Abadaran speaks volumes. It leads you to suspect that this man's role in the traitorous party may be part and parcel as to why the church of Abadar is strangely uninvolved in this latest endeavor.

"Lastly, there was an elf woman among them. Oh yes, I certainly remember her now - or at least I remember the odor. Whatever tales you've heard of elves being mysterious, refined beings would be thrown into the gutter after one meeting with her. She only gave her name as Nore. She was unwashed and unkempt and spoke like dockworker. No fewer than twice did she spit right on the floor of this very office. What talents she offered that could convince the others to tolerate her presence, I can't possibly imagine."


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

"Forgive me, I can tell you find his betrayal particularly disgraceful, but how highly placed was Barris Volklev within the church of Abadar? My own church is...shall we say, diverse in its organization. Abadar's churches are often more organized ... I suppose what I am wondering is, how rogue has he gone in this that you know of, or does he have the support of great portions of his fellow clergymen and higher ups?"

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Sense Motive:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Mister Pink has perched himself in a chair and retrieved a sizable black leather journal from his many-pocketed sash. In addition to the book, he has also rolled out an array of writing tools upon the table as well and appears to be scratching notes vigorously. Every now and then he looks up from his script and nods his approval. Any casual inspection of the open journal would reveal that it is penned in at least five different languages.

Galen Whitehollow - Soldier of fortune
Ortho Whitehollow - Soldier of fortune, Half-brother to Galen
Gregor Rakovan - Quiet Magician
Baris Volklev - Priest of Abadar
Nore - Vile Elf
Sir Kesten - Loyal Assistant?

Yes. More names... Why would she make it easy? She knows better! If Sir Kesten is indeed vassal to us, it falls to us to ensure this compartmentalized task completed and collect the compensation. What is justice for treason, is it death?

Lord Christian D'Elagante wrote:
"Sir Kesten is a welcomed addition to our mission but I do not know him or his men. How long will he be under contract and with whom is the contract with? Is his first priority this new nation or is it the traitors?"
Brand Oluffson wrote:
"It is my assumption Sir Kesten will be there to apprehend these spies to face justice? Is he also there to assist us, or to be an aide-de-camp, or to act as courier to yourself? Brandt address the last to the Lord Mayor, awaiting response.

When Mister Pink next looks up, he nods at Brand and Lord Christian before attempting to re-iterate their concerns about Sir Kesten to the Lord Mayor. However, it comes out a bit more jumbled than he would've liked.

"Brave Brand and Bydar would build brawny bridges but dangerous deceivers deal in deadly deeds and tenacious Taldan traitors tread thoughtfully. Keeping company with kind Kesten unkilled, are there rewards to be reaped in rivers running red with retribution for Restov wronged?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

sense motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

”Seems like a motley bunch, we should be wary, but I am sure we can handle this added challenge” Brant states eyeing the room while considering the Tengu’s words, realization slowly dawning upon him...


"Rest assured, Sir Kesten's first priority is protecting the nation that you will build. If and when the traitors are apprehended, he does not even have to personally deliver them. As long as they are expediently returned to face justice, then all will be well.

"As for the supplies and funding that will be provided, Lord D'Elagante, there are no strings attached. This is no loan; it is an investment!" the Lord Mayor insists with a fatherly smile. "It benefits all of Brevoy to exchange a lawless wilderness upon our doorstep for a prosperous kingdom that we can count upon as trading partner."

The tengu's tongue twister leaves the Lord Mayor at a loss for words. He pauses, uncertain whether to laugh, smile, or simply stay silent.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

sense motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 it's all downhill from there...

Vera smiles somewhat hungrily at the Lord Mayor's tone. Apparently bringing the Abadarite's head back on a pike would not be unwelcome -- Unnecessary, perhaps, we shall see. I do relish the idea of marching one of theirs through the streets in chains, even if that humiliation is but mild punishment for their rapacious exploitation of the wilds.

"It seems you've made thorough arrangements for our success and are ...eager to see us underway. I appreciate your trust in our ability to clean up the mess Volkclev and his cohort have made. I admit I am myself quite ready to return to more open spaces; what remains for us to know or take care of before the expedition is ready to commence?"


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Quote:
"Brave Brand and Bydar would build brawny bridges but dangerous deceivers deal in deadly deeds and tenacious Taldan traitors tread thoughtfully. Keeping company with kind Kesten unkilled, are there rewards to be reaped in rivers running red with retribution for Restov wronged?"

Bydar glances over a look of admiration By Shelyn, Mr. Pink could be a poet.

He also notices that the answer to his own question is side stepped, but that's something to discuss with the others on the road, "Yes, I do need to purchase some rations and supplies I imagine, but otherwise the sooner we leave the better."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 4; Hp 52/52; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +9
Fenrir:
HP 14/14; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Considering Vera’s words Brandt looks at the ceiling, then over at Orlogg. “Orlogg, i might imagine you can craft arrowheads and should we need it fittings for things, in addition to your skills as an armorer? I’ll need some woodworking tools for making arrows and helping with construction as we need it before we go. Other than that, i may be set to travel once that is lined up.


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Oh so close

Christian looks on as the Mayor explains things. He nods approvingly when it is explained that they are not responsible for repaying the stipend.
I will put some of my people on the traitors. They may be able to open some doors that normally might not open. What information I am able to find, I will pass along to Sir Kesten. Speaking of...When and where are we to meet him and his men?
Not sure if you would allows such but it was more for RP than anything.

Christian holds up his drinking vessel and seems about to make a toast when he stops and looks at the table. He looks at each person there and then back to the lord mayor.
Are we expecting someone else?
He looks at the eighth and final cup on the table.

After some more time passes and the others start talk of heading out.
I agree with Lady Vera and the others...If there is nothing else, then we should prepare to leave. I recommend first light tomorrow. I can meet everyone on the South Rostland road just outside the city at my camp come morning. That should give everyone ample time to purchase supplies that they feel are needed. If anyone needs me or wants to talk...that is where I will be. If you should need a place to stay for the night...come down and I will make sure to take care of you. I look forward to seeing you in the morning.
after saying his fare wells. He heads out to his camp in the south.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:40/40 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+11 (+13 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 4/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mister Pink collects his belongings and nods to his new colleagues in turn.

Time does not unturn and we must be ready. Mister Black will know the way.

”Welcome words well wielded by all. We will begin at the beginning. Dawn it is.”

If there is nothing else to be said, the tengu will take his leave humbly and meet with the others at Lord Christian’s camp at dawn to embark on their journey.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 4 | hp 44 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +1 | Perception +11
Brand Oluffson wrote:
Considering Vera’s words Brandt looks at the ceiling, then over at Orlog. “Orlog, i might imagine you can craft arrowheads and should we need it fittings for things, in addition to your skills as an armorer? I’ll need some woodworking tools for making arrows and helping with construction as we need it before we go. Other than that, i may be set to travel once that is lined up.

"Arrowheads? I've never worked on anything that tony better, looking forward to the challenge." Looking over at his pack, Orlog think for a second. "I should be alright for now. Once we get there, I'll need to see what is available to set-up a good forge. Can't really say what I will need for that to see the space and material that is there."

@Brand: I believe that arrows are made by the skill Craft Bows, which I don't have.


Lord Christian D'Elagante wrote:

Christian holds up his drinking vessel and seems about to make a toast when he stops and looks at the table. He looks at each person there and then back to the lord mayor.

Are we expecting someone else?
He looks at the eighth and final cup on the table.

"My apologies if you were expecting a sudden arrival or secret ally, but I must disappoint you," the Lord Mayor confesses. "These cups are simply a set of eight. As for the business at hand, the wagons of supplies and workers will congregate at Fort Serenko," Sellemius announces. "Once you have secured the former bandit stronghold, since it seems we have a unanimous agreement upon the site, Sir Kesten and his company will escort them the rest of the way."


Male HP:41/48 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+8 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +9, 1d10+3 CMB:+7 CMD:+17 Human Cavalier 4(Daring Champion)
DM Vayelan wrote:
"My apologies if you were expecting a sudden arrival or secret ally, but I must disappoint you," the Lord Mayor confesses. "These cups are simply a set of eight. As for the business at hand, the wagons of supplies and workers will congregate at Fort Serenko," Sellemius announces. "Once you have secured the former bandit stronghold, since it seems we have a unanimous agreement upon the site, Sir Kesten and his company will escort them the rest of the way."

I was hoping to meet Sir Kresten beforehand. No matter.

He turns to the others holding up his glass as the prepared to leave.
I apologize for keeping you here a moment longer. I feel a toast is in order.
He holds up his vessel for all to see.
What we few are about to do will cast ripples into the lake of time. Our steps will form and mold this new nation. Choose wisely where you tread for what we do from here on...will echo for an eternity. Lords, Ladies...I salute all of you and your bravery to hold such responsibilities on your shoulders.
He extends his arm higher into the air.
Draco Invictus....so it begins


Male Human Cleric 4 (HP 36/36;AC16,T11,FF15; F+5,R+2,W+7; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar raises his own, "Hear Hear.May kind gods watch over us and bless our endeavurs, and may the seeds of hope we plant in this new land take root and bear fruits all goodly people may savor for generations to come."


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Accepting the toasts with a smile, Vera pauses for the smallest moment before drinking to take a discrete sniff of the water for anything untoward. Never know what the Lord Mayor might have been put up to, in the name of getting me away permanently.. prof(herbalist)?: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

After the others' toasts she adds, "And may we find partnership with the land in this endeavor, that it may embrace us, and we it."


Vera:
The water carries the same mineral taste you remember of water drawn from aquifers around Restov. Nevertheless, it is untainted and safe to drink.

Lord Mayor Sellemius produces the charter, bearing the seals of both House Surtova and the Dragonscale Throne, granting the right to rule the Greenbelt region of the Stolen Lands. He slides the document across the table and produces both a snowy white quill and crystal vial of ink for each of you to sign the charter.

Also feel free to list what supplies, gear, or other provisions you purchase and what arrangements you might make before setting out.

1 to 50 of 433 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Saga of a New Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.