Saga of a New Land

Game Master vayelan

A Kingmaker campaign of politics, intrigue, and war.

Maps:
Greenbelt Map
Stolen Lands Map
The Abandoned Fort

Encounter Map: Labyrinth Ambush
Party Loot

Resources:
Kingdom Tracker Spreadsheet
Kingdom Building Rules
Kingdom Turn Sequence
Buildings


201 to 250 of 750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The crowd, newly recruited to your cause, stares at Mr. Pink in varying shades of confusion. To a one, this is the first time any of them have seen a Tengu, and this bewilderment is only compounded by the cryptic riddle that he offers as a challenge. Nevertheless, they all seem very curious regarding the bird-man, and several will take the opportunity to speak with him during the trek south - especially to glean clarification about his challenge.

While still at Oleg's Trading Post, the would-be huntress nods her assent at Brandt's offer.

"Was wondering when you'd finally remember your manners and ask my name," she says teasingly. "I'm Lira Landusk, formerly of Novoboro. Once a year, my uncle would take me on a hunting trip across the border into Galt. My family originally hailed from Galt, but fled after the revolution. Anyhow, he would always say that 'any simpleton who can hold a bow hunts in the River Kingdoms. The true hunters plumb the old Galtan woods.'"

The brief reminiscence brings a wistful smile to Miss Landusk's face, but she quickly dismisses it.

"Anyhow, I think you've definitely secured everyone's loyalty. You'd be surprised how far a little generosity can go," she says, casting a brief glance of ire towards the walls of the trading post. "If they think it'll keep the good fortune going, they'll trust you and follow you south."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Laughing at her jibe Brandt grins, "Well if you can handle a horse you and I will be in charge of feeding this crew, Lira. If any of the others want to learn we'll work with them on simple woodcraft and snares."

Brandt, feeling optimistic about this journey, prepares to ride at first light.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

In truth Bydar had his concerns about the trek, but then, it might succeed with good healers, it certainly won't without unity, "I'll want to make sure we have a few splits and maybe a litter for those whose legs are not tip top but I think if those are lacking I can work a bit tonight to make sure they're better off than they were even then."

He will channel once among those with wounded legs after making sure they are set straight and right.

Channel: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 5) = 8


As the positive energy that Bydar channels washes over them, any lingering aches that might have slowed your new recruits down are eased. Won over by both coin and magic, they are eager to follow you. Just before you depart, Svetlana Leveton sees you off. She carries a pair of burlap sacks, one beneath each arm.

"My Oleg would never admit it, but you've done a great service not just for these down-on-their-luck folks, but us as well," she states. "Not only do I not have to worry about them, out in the rain, but I don't have to listen to Oleg grumble nearly as much."

She briefly smiles at her own jest before offering the two bundles to you.

"Here's some extra trail meals to get you and these folks along to your destination."

.....

Thanks to the maps provided with your charter, you are able to easily navigate the terrain south of the trading post. You skirt the edge of the forest and march south, crossing the boundary where the plains give way to more rugged hills. By nightfall, you are able to find the campsite marked at the point where the Thorn River flows out from the forest.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Shelyn bless you and Oleg, Sveatlana. The love you two have brought to these lands? I see as a good omen. The kindess in both your hearts? Without price. We'll try to stay in touch in some fashion should you ever need us." Bydar speaks perhaps too freely but he means it.

---------------

As nightfalls, his first priority is to double check on the formerly injured and those who are frailer. He wants to make sure they're all right. They should be, but he'll not take them for granted.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

'This kindness will be repaid, blessings on you and your kin." Brandt says before riding out at first light.

-----
Throughout the day while travelling, Brandt will instruct anyone interested in how to set simple snares for small game and show the basics of tracking to Lira, unless she demonstrates greater proficiency than basic.

When they reach the Thorn River Camp, Brandt will ask Lira to accompany him on a quick hunt to try and scare up some fresh meat for the dinner.

Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Assuming the terrain counts as woodlands


The former bandit camp is a clearing cut in the forest at the side of a shallow ford in the Thorn River. A weed-cluttered path worn by boots and wagon wheels actually leads towards the ford, before degrading into a game trail that meanders deeper into the forest. Several downed logs surround a firepit made from arranged stones, still blackened from old fires.

A pair of watch platforms, made from crudely lashed planks, sit suspended within sturdy trees - one on either side of the ford, including one that also overlooks the campsite. Moldering rope ladders still lead up to the platforms, but their integrity is suspect. A discarded canvas tarp lies crumpled beneath the eastern platform, near the camp. However, whatever it once covered is long gone.

Lira Survival, Aid Brandt: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Lira proves to be quite out of practice, and Brandt spends time ensuring she does not run afoul of any poison ivy or toxic berries. Despite the difficulty of guiding this apprentice, his own woodland skills shine on. The pair eventually return to camp with several rabbits and satchels full of wild onions, radishes, and apples.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink has spent his time during the journey as forward scout in solitude save for the company of Mr. Black. His repeated unsuccessful attempts to communicate with the locals has left him a tad crestfallen and withdrawn. Despite his failures, he remains resolute in his tasks and keeps a passive watch over the flock, taking care not to lead them into danger.

Taking 10 on Perception checks during travel and on watch = 21. Trapspotter.

Upon reaching the camp, he checks for any immediate dangers before foraging for as much food as he can muster.

Survival to get along in the wild: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Once fed, he retreats into the watchtower overlooking the campsite and settles in for the night with his short bow close at hand. It is clear to all that he finds comfort among the trees. Lastly, he checks the sky to divine what sort of weather the next day will bring.

Taking 10 on climb check = 15.
Survival to predict the weather up to 24 hours in advance: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

A newly kindled kingdom should not fail to see what lies ahead. This place breathes heavy with the past. All happens when it must yet it feels as though the future walks faster.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

He eyes the platform, he has an eye for design, not engineering, but still...

Profession: Architect 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

As the group approaches the area, Christian's eyes roam from tree to tree taking in the situation.
We have a good place to stop for the night.

He looks to the others.
What do you think? In the morning we could ford the river right here and continue.

Taking his time to get ready for the night, he looks at the tarp and the the rope ladders.
Perhaps before it gets to dark we should search the area for anything that was missed...we are here already and it should not take too much time.

We may even be able to use that tarp to help with sleeping and help protect some of us from the weather.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt consults the map for a minute, "Aye Christian, I think travelling south on the west side of the river would be faster and easier for us and takes fewer crossings. Looking around the crowd, "If we can make similar time tomorrow we'll be at the old fort around this time, which could go either way for us. Perhaps we have them wait for us to explore, but it may be best to camp just out of sight of the fort and explore it in the morning, especially if it is inhabited?"

He looks to Vera and Mr. Pink for their opinions, "Do you two think your helpers could stop us short of the fort, out of clear sight where our smoke wouldn't alert anyone occupying the fort? That lets us keep these folk from danger, and we can be the fools to go knocking upon their door." He finishes with a grin.

Looking over the old canvas tarp, Brandt nods at Christian, "Again, this is likely worth saving, it could be a makeshift A-frame tent in a pinch. Not tonight, but perhaps tomorrow night we can string it from some trees or off the back of the wagon to give extra shelter for all these extra people."


Bydar:
Whoever built these platforms had knowledge of neither architecture nor engineering. These planks are haphazardly held in place by moldering ropes, nails hammered without pattern or plan, and the tree branches themselves. It's a miracle that they've lasted this long, unattended.

Mr. Pink:
You are able to collect a few hand and pocketfuls of safe, semi-tart berries to share with the group. There aren't very many to go around, but they can complement what Brandt and the woman, Lira, brought back.

Atop the watch platform, which groans and creaks beneath your feet, you scan the sky. The air is dry, and the leaves do not curl. The weather will remain calm for at least two more days, although you aren't sure how sunny it will remain.

The campsite has been searched thoroughly by whomever came through previously. A hidden cache dug into the ground beneath the tree hosting one of the platforms has also been plundered. Only some rubbish remains: arrowheads and splintered shafts, broken glass, cheese cloth, nut shells, and a few dried globs of spat out chewing tobacco.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"The platforms are a lost cause." He sighs " These planks are scattershot, the ropes are all but decayed entirely, nails hammered without pattern or plan, It's all a lost cause I fear... I'm surprised the aren't trashed already."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Watching Brand as he talks bring a slight smile.
Agreed and maybe we can slow our pace once we get close to our destination. That way we are not to close to it when we make camp. I think we should talk to Cavan about the tent at some point.

The young mercenary leader puts a reasuring hand on Bydar's shoulder.
Nothing is ever a lost cause...not completely at least. Everything has some value in it. You just need to look beyond the obvious.

He looks around the area, his eyes moving from one object to the next. He stops and stares at the encampment as a whole. With a knowing nod, he turns to Brand.
Brand, how would Erastil feel if we made this area into a staging point for those that live off the land? A place to ask for his blessing before moving off into the forest or a place to give thanks for a successful hunt. A place to settle in for the night before heading into the forest or heading south to the fort on the lake.

As the large group settles in for the night, Christian walks among the group. Talking to each and every person. Trying to understand their wants and desires. He tries to learn all thier names and what they did before yesterday. He tries to keep them encourage and hopeful about the future.
At some point he adress his new companions.
I do not think anything would happen but it would wise to see up a watch over night.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Considering Christians words Brandt thinks for a few minutes, and looks to the copy of Christians map. “I’m certain old Deadeye would never mind having a way stop here, there appear to be these old ruins northwest of her and west as well. I would like t see those someday as well, but this is a great location for a way stop in the least.

Brandt agreed to take last watch of the night, to be set to travel come first light with the company.


The map of the Greenbelt confirms that the previous expedition identified two sites sacred to Erastil that had fallen into disrepair. One is labeled "Temple of the Elk," while the other is labeled "Statue of Erastil." One of the vagabonds who joined your retinue, a woman whom you've heard her fellows derogatorily call "Turnip-Head" Mari, is able to relay what's she'd heard about the two sites.

"Miss Leveton was telling me 'bout it," Mari says, nibbling on a bit of dried meat from the provisions purchased from Oleg. "Them other adventurers helped this traveling priest - I think his name was Calf Kin, or Kavken, or something like that - who wanted to reclaim some lost old temple. I never seen it, but I heard they did it. Same thing with that statue, I reckon."

Mr. Pink Reflex Save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

The sudden sound of splintering wood echoes among the trees, and a shower of broken boards and rotted rope showers down from above. The nearest watch platform has collapsed under the weight of Mr. Pink's feathered feet. Fortunately, the avian adventurer is too dexterous, and he quickly leaps to a new perch on a much sturdier bough of the tree before he can take a tumble.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5
DM Vayelan wrote:
"Miss Leveton was telling me 'bout it," Mari says, nibbling on a bit of dried meat from the provisions purchased from Oleg. "Them other adventurers helped this traveling priest - I think his name was Calf Kin, or Kavken, or something like that - who wanted to reclaim some lost old temple. I never seen it, but I heard they did it. Same thing with that statue, I reckon."

Brandt considers the words the woman says with due thought, "Thank you Mari, this is good information to have. I would hope to meet this Kavken someday and see what information he has on these old sites."

Hearing Mr. Pink's perch disintegrate under new weight Brandt looks, and seeing nothing resumes the conversation between the people on the ground, "Christian, I think this all bears looking into once we get to the old fort and settle these folks into it. Especially if there is a wandering priest around these parts he may be very useful to meet and know."


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Scratching his beard while Fenrir steals food off of Brandt’s plate, Vera, do you know of a wandering priest of Erastil in this area?


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar raises a brow at the counsel offered. While he agrees in theory, he is not sure he can make a silk purse of that particular sow's ear. At least not in it's original purpose of supporting people. "I meant for support, Christian." He smiles "Though it was lovely what you said and indeed within my god's teaching. We may have to replace much of it from scratch, but we'll see."

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Bydar breathes half true. Boards were worn and poorly built but far from lost.

As Mr. Pink re-positions himself to a new, more secure watch-point in the tree, he calls down to the group.

"It is a virtue to verily view volumes beyond what some can scantly see! Hardly hidden, we have happened upon freely felled firewood for fulfilling our fiduciary functions. Christian calls clever counsel to Brandt and Bydar's bold beliefs. A goodly god of green may even grant gifts for gratitude given."

He proceeds to attach a hammock between two sturdy branches high up in the tree but remains awake and alert to take the first watch of the evening. Mr. Pink seems to be conversing softly in a bizarre, chirping language with Mr. Black, who is perched nearby on lookout as well.

Tengu:
Mr. Black: "You were lucky not to fall. It is unwise to invoke a god."
Mr. Pink: "I do not believe in luck or their god. They all may do as they wish, it makes no difference now."
Mr. Black: "None but the gods can see all. You are blinded by your emotions."
Mr. Pink: "We shall see..."


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9
Brand Oluffson wrote:
He looks to Vera and Mr. Pink for their opinions, "Do you two think your helpers could stop us short of the fort, out of clear sight where our smoke wouldn't alert anyone occupying the fort? That lets us keep these folk from danger, and we can be the fools to go knocking upon their door." He finishes with a grin.

"We are the fools who signed up for this, indeed - Sava can fly overhead and alert us when we're approaching the fort's horizon, a sound idea."

To the ranger's question about wandering priests, she offers, "These wild lands and those who live off them are certainly Erastil's favored, and I've heard rumor of lost holy sites. As for this Kavken--"
know(local) - calf kin?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Vera:
You never met him yourself, but you've heard others talking about the itinerant priest of Erastil who showed up at Oleg's. Supposedly guided by divine visions, he was looking for adventurers or local woodsmen to help him locate some lost temple. Many locals you've spoken to described him as very morose, some even going so far as to call him the "holy sad sack."

Despite the brief interruption caused by the watch platform collapse, your large entourage wastes little time in making themselves at home within the campsite. They spread out blankets and bedrolls purchased on their behalf from the trading post, offer to help suspend the recovered canvas as a tent pavilion, gather firewood, and down the trail meals provided.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"...As for this Kavken, I've heard of him. Folk like to gossip out here -- on the occasion they actually find somebody to share gossip with! He's struck folk with his sadness, it seems; whether that's cause of or caused by his pilgrimage to this lost temple I can't say, but they're likely connected. Granted, plenty of folk come out to the stolen lands because they're getting away from something at home, but usually that doesn't lend them quite so much clarity of purpose once they're here as this priest's quest.

"Dedicating additional sites to the Hunter wouldn't strike anyone as inappropriate -- but if we've already a priest moping around in search of existing sacred places, supporting his efforts might take priority."


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar chuckles, "I suppose an ancient temple of Shelyn waiting to be touched up would make some of my tasks too easy. Yes, helping out find these lost shrines to Erastil? Sounds like that's restoring beauty too." A nod to Vera.


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Turning quickly to the noise, Christian opens his mouth and starts to call for something or someone but stops after he sees the nimble Mr Pink remain safe.
Chir...
urgen
His demeanor relaxes but his concern is still evident.
Mr.Pink are you ok?

Bydar wrote:
"Though it was lovely what you said and indeed within my god's teaching. "

His voice is filled with a lighthearted tone and a smile that is bright and welcoming.

Lady Summer had a different way of viewing the world we live in. Her teachings remain with me to this day.

Lets get some sleep and continue at first light.


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

"One more priest to join our group. Why not I say! You can't never have too many gods on your side in this wild land." Moving along, Orlog make sure that everyone is settled before finding a spot for himself. He also put his name down for any guard duty during the night. When morning comes, he is a bit tired, but equip his armor without any complaint and gets ready to move on.


DM Screen:

Jex Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 3

After the collapse of the watch platform, the rest of the night is comparatively placid. However, that does not mean it is a quiet night. The sounds of crickets, cicadas, and nightjars are joined by the snores of some of your new dependents.

In the morning, your extended party begins to rise, although some of the former vagrants are particularly drowsy and slow to get up.


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"Hoping this sluggishness means they got some good deep sleep," Vera observes to Orlog, as she surveys the campsite while he armors up. "Half of our new caravan was suffering from exhaustion -- no doubt stress-induced, from their tales. Good that our desire is not to sprint to the fort with maximum haste."

"There are plants in these woods that have a stimulant effect when chewed or steeped; join me for a stroll around the perimeter and see if we can find some?"

prof(herbalist): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Orlog walks among the people and try to encourage them. "Come on people, I know yesterday was a hard walk and today is planning to be another one. But just think, soon we will reach our destination, and we will be able to forge ourselves a new life, a new home. So find that strength deep down and let's get moving." If he notices anyone still injured or looking sick, he tries to help. If they are too far gone for his skills, he takes note and report it to Christian and Bydar.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Heal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink wakes up just before dawn and readies himself for the next day's journey. He packs up his hammock and carefully climbs down from his perch. Acknowledging Brandt and Fenrir as he passes with a slight nod, Mr. Pink then sets off ahead of the pack to begin his scouting routine anew.

Taking 10 to climb down safely (Take 10 on Climb = 15). Crossing the ford and checking for dangers. Take 10 on Perception to inspect the shallow Thorn River crossing and inspect the opposing watch platform before continuing down the game trail (Take 10 on Perception = 21/23 vs traps). He also attempts to scout discretely using Stealth (Take 10 on Stealth = 23), avoid getting lost and avoid any naturally occurring hazards using Survival in case anything comes up (Take 10 on Survival = 19 vs DC 15).


For your entourage, the combined ministrations of Vera and Orlog greatly ease the stress of rising for another day's march. Besides sore feet, legs, and backs, many of them still suffered from headaches, fever, and other ailments attributable to poor nutrition, exposure, and other hardships of their previous life.

Before you set out, a decision must be made. At some point, you will need to cross the Thorn River, and there are three opportunities to do so, according to your maps. The first possible crossing is right here, at the camp site. Taking this route would mean more time spent passing through the forest - a shorter but more uncertain course. Further down river, there is an old bridge noted where the river cuts through the hills; this offers a balance between travel time and the risk of encountering wild dangers. Finally, there is a shallow ford where the Thorn meets the Shrike River. This is perhaps the safest albeit longest route.

Mr. Pink:
The watch platform on the far side of the river crossing is even more unstable than the first, with several planks already dangling down. The crossing itself is very safe; the waters are shallow and not too swift, and many flat stones offer safe passage across.

Along the game trail, you can find the tracks of several animals that have passed through within the past week or so. Most of them are elk and large boars, but there are also prints from a decent-sized quadruped that you cannot immediately identify.


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

Bydar too is concerned about the condition of some of them as well and works with Orlogg to keep them in good shape. He also offers to say a prayer over food

Purify food and water used frequently. Might not matter, might help keep the food healthy :)

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink returns to the camp as everyone is being roused and reports his findings to his companions along with a suggested route.

"Many marks mask many mysteries. Hard to tell what lies ahead on this road. Possibly a challenge we are not ready for... The many are not ready for. We shall see what they say."

"Wary woodland wildlife will waylay and truly test our towed tenderfoot travelers' tenacity. Two turns of temperate twilight toward twinned Thorn and Shrike south seems the safest solution for soft-soled settlers. Which way would we want?"


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

As the group wakes up and starts to move around, Christian starts to take notes on who is in what condition.

Good morning. We are not too far from our final destination. You should know that we do not know exactly what will be waiting for us when we get there. For that reason we will be stopping some distance away. We will investigate and then go from there. It is not our intentions to place you in harms way. We will try to minimize that risk.

He looks at the river that is near to were they camped for the night.
We do need to figure out our next course of action. That goal is getting across the Thorne River. Now that can happen right here and now. We would spend more time in the forest but we would be across and on our way without delay. There is a bridge further along the river but we do not know if it is there or not. If not, that means continuing on till we get to the shallow ford where the Thorn meets the Shrike River. Once again we are not sure what is there. It might be there or it could be washed away...there is a good chance it is there still but if not that is a lot of walking back up here to cross.

When Mr. Pink comes back.
Thank you kindly Mr. Pink.
I have not a clue as to what he just said...I need to find a way of interpreting his words.

Adressing the group as a whole.
Thoughts, concerns...questions?


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Considering the options, Brandt saddles his horse, handing Lira the other one.

I think it is a risk to journey through the woodlands, but I am most comfortable among the trees myself. While we may not be able to see much ahead of us, I think if Master Pink and I both ride the point we can have ample warning of what is ahead of us. Christian holds the center with Vera and Bydar, and Orlogg behind the entourage that gives us a strong presence everywhere and we can react quickly."

Brandt crosses to Christian to consult his map again, "It looks like we're only in the wood for a few miles. And with this entourage we're unlikely to encounter wild animals, only hostile creatures."
Tapping the map where they stand, Brandt looks around to the rest, "I say we cross here, we know we can do it, and the woods, while possibly dangerous, are only until midday at the latest."

Assuming I'm reading the map right, it appears as though we'd be out of the woods in a few miles if we're able to skirt the edge of the river. Correct?
Know(Geography): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"My concern with the wood is that any cover it grants us, wouldn't that also allow things to stalk us with cover of their own? But if Brand says it can be handled, well, he's the expert and that does put a lot of my fears aside. Eventually we must check out that bridge but that might better suited to a smaller group to scout in case any bandits linger."


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

Vera thinks on the others' counsel before weighing in - "I respect Mr. Pink's concern that the dangers of the forest are more than we might want to risk, given a known choice -- but as Christian and Brand point out, our other choices are speculative until we get there, a danger in and of itself.

"I'd prefer -- let see if I can do this -- the current clear crossing, with caution, over pushing to a possibly prohibited passage?" She pauses, "That is, let's cross now."


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)
Brand Oluffson wrote:
I think it is a risk to journey through the woodlands, but I am most comfortable among the trees myself. While we may not be able to see much ahead of us, I think if Master Pink and I both ride the point we can have ample warning of what is ahead of us. Christian holds the center with Vera and Bydar, and Orlogg behind the entourage that gives us a strong presence everywhere and we can react quickly."

Agreed and we should see if Mr.Black and Sava could be our lookouts as well.

He then looks among the larger group, his voice is kind and gentle yet holds an underlining edge of authority.
We will tighten up our formation in the center until we are out of the forest and back on the open ground. Keep your eyes open but do not forget to watch were you are walking. A broken ankle is not going to be fun for such a long walk. Help those around you as well. It will be a long day of walking. Take a break in the wagon if you should need to.

It would appear that we have a common concern and desired route in mind...but everyone has a right to voice their opinion.
Christian looks around to the group and to Orlog.


Brand Oluffson wrote:
Assuming I'm reading the map right, it appears as though we'd be out of the woods in a few miles if we're able to skirt the edge of the river. Correct?

You are correct.

Brandt's knowledge of terrain, corroborated by the available maps, also informs him that following the river's course is the best way to avoid getting lost in the trackless hills. Even with the provided maps, with a dearth of landmarks, losing your way is still a dire risk.

The prospect of traveling through the forest discomforts your companions, but their concerns are quelled by the promise of leaving the forest soon.

Vera Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 2 = 28
Brandt Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

When Mr. Pink brings the unusual tracks he found to the party's attention, Brandt at first suspects they are some kind of large wolf, but Vera corrects him. As a longtime resident of the Greenbelt, she is better able to recognize the tracks of a brush thylacine.

Vera:
A brush thylacine is a local predator about the size of a wolf, but with the slender build of a cat, with heavy whiskers and dark stripes down its back. They are quite aggressive, and their bite is especially strong, known to snap bones effortlessly and even puncture armor.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Looking up from the track, unsure of how to interpret what the creature is, Brandt looks to Vera, "Do you think a thylacine would attack the lot of us, unless it were sick or starving? We should be careful moving forward until we break from the woods."

Brandt draws an arrow from his quiver and prepares to walk his horse, looking to Fenrir to smell anything unusual approaching the group.

To Fenrir,

Skald:
"Fenrir, watch. See what's trying to stalk us, but stay close. Frostmane, Brightmane stay close and follow."
Thelatter statement addressed to the two horses.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
Fenrir (scent):
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


Male Dwarf Forgepriest 5 | hp 52 | AC23 T11 FF 22 | CMD 15 | F +8 R +2 W +8 | Spd 20' | Init +5 | Perception +12

Orlog looks at the surrounding and then back at Christian. "I don't like the woods. Too many places to watch and people would hear us approaching from far. Also, I worry about the wagons and those that are having a hard time walking." He pauses and look and the people they are escorting, then back at the group. "Then again, I don't think they would be pleased if we take the long way around. The morale is low already, making this trek longer than it need won't improve that."


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"Hmmm...imagine a wolf, a cougar, and a crocodile crossbred into an ill-tempered mess," Vera tries to explain. "We're definitely a larger group than at least two of those would try to attack -- can't say I have much experience with crocodiles -- but a thylacine might try it, especially in a pack, if they thought they could pick off a straggler.

"As long as we don't let one catch us by surprise, though, I don't think we should have too much difficulty dispatching it. We should keep close ranks, not let folks get too spread out."


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

As the caravan proceeds, Vera comments to Bydar, "Just so we're on the same page -- if anything bursts out of the brush at us, I'm planning to let you stand in front of me! Unless that armor and glaive are just for show, it's a safe bet you can handle a charge. My style of fight is more about clouding their minds and then hitting them while they're weak." She smiles, "I've stayed alive out here for enough years, there's no reason to change a winning formula now, right?"

She tries to keep her tone light and breezy, to keep the travelers within earshot from stressing overmuch about the threat of wildlife. Though it's been enough years since I've had to worry about folks' feelings that I'll be lucky to simply keep my foot out of my mouth...

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}
Vera Ravenholdt wrote:

As the caravan proceeds, Vera comments to Bydar, "Just so we're on the same page -- if anything bursts out of the brush at us, I'm planning to let you stand in front of me! Unless that armor and glaive are just for show, it's a safe bet you can handle a charge. My style of fight is more about clouding their minds and then hitting them while they're weak." She smiles, "I've stayed alive out here for enough years, there's no reason to change a winning formula now, right?"

"Oh it's quite real, most of the church decided long ago that staying alive was a beautiful thing usually, so basic militant training became mandatory for most clergy," He pats the glaive's haft, "Rest assured, it will cut, it will keel."

Couldn't help the Forged in Fire shout out, sorry :)


Encounter?: 1d100 ⇒ 61

Although the initial talk of predators and other beasts leaves many members of your caravan agitated, they soon calm down as an hour and then two pass without encountering so much as a fox. In fact, as Brandt keeps an eye on the trail you travel, he soon concludes that the thylacine tracks diverge and travel deeper into the forest, in the opposite direction from you.

However, a new worry crops up - whether or not you leave the territory of one predator simply to cross the boundary into another. This notion is capitalized when, as you draw near the forest's edge (according to the map), the Ulfen ranger discovers an exceedingly large feather. Tawny brown and caked in dirt, the errant feather is the length of a man's forearm.


Male Human (Ulfen) Ranger 5; Hp: 45/60; AC 18; F:7, R:6, W:3; Perc +10
Fenrir:
HP 19/19; AC 14; F: 5, R:5, W:4 ; Perc +5

Brandt picks up the feather, measuring it against the arrow in his hand. "Well, it looks as if the wolf-crocodile-cougar isn't exactly going to be a pest to us now, but this is a big damn bird. Big enough to pull the stars from the sky... Once we're clear of these woods, I think we will make better time, but we should keep our eyes skyward for whatever dropped this..."

Knowledge(nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Male Human Cleric 5 (HP 41/41;AC16,T11,FF15; F+7,R+4,W+10; Init +1; Perc +4){Effects:none}

"Indeed" For a moment he wonders about the artistic uses of such huge feathers, then it occurs to him perhaps keeping his eyes skyward would be wise.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Female Half-elf Witch 4 | HP 28/28, AC 14 t12 ff12, CMD 14, F+2 R+3 W+5 (+2 vs enchant, illusion) | Percept +9

"Hmmmm," Vera frowns at the feather, trying to place it. know(nature): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

"Mr. Pink - it limits our visibility a bit, but to be on the safe side we may want to recall our flying friends." she calls, sending worry-longing to her own familiar.

Liberty's Edge

| HP:46/46 | AC:18, T:14, FF:14 | F:+3, R:+9, W:+4 | Init:+9 | Perception:+12 (+14 vs Traps) | CMB:+7, CMD:18 | Male Tengu | Unchained Rogue (Swordmaster) 5/VMC Wizard (Foresight Diviner)

Mr. Pink heeds the warnings of his companions and calls out for Mr. Black's return with a series of loud chirps. He also attempts to recollect any information he might have regarding such a sizable feathered creature.

Tengu:
"Danger in the skies. Return to me."

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Male HP:56/56 AC:19 T:14 FF:14 F:+5 R:+4 W:+3 Perc:+9 Init:+5 Bastard Sword +10, 1d10+3 CMB:+8 CMD:+18 Human Cavalier 5 (Daring Champion)

Christian nods his agreement to Vera.

Right then, everyone...heads on swivels. We keep a lookout around us but...
He looks to Brandt and the others.
I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to nature and her denizens. We should keep an constant guard until we are out of the general area. Keep your eyes open for anything...anywhere. Sometimes what something appears to be is not what you thought it would be.

He turns to the group of civilians that became part of their group.
You have trusted us so far and we have succeeded in getting to this point without problems. We still have a distance to go and I am asking you to keep your heads held high and your hopes kept tight to your chests. These trials will only last so long...what we will build will last an eternity. Please heed our words and listen to us if trouble comes up. We keep our ranks close and use the wagon for cover if need be. Do not run off. Stay with the group.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

201 to 250 of 750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Saga of a New Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.