The Forgotten Forge - Eberron (Inactive)

Game Master Dennis Harry

Ruins of Dorasharn

Sewer Encounter


251 to 300 of 703 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

Standing back up Gauntlet looks around at his new friends.

"The rope probably won't hold my weight easily. I believe my magic, with the support of Sharn's natural ambiance, can support me at this height, as well as another person who is willing to jump and trust my magic as well. Viorr? Pink-Eye? Anybody willing to jump into who-knows-what and make sure the others are not climbing down into a trap or nest of some sort?"

Those who have known Gauntlet for a while can tell his monotone voice carries some mild form of amusement to it.

Turning to the strange sewer workers, Gauntlet bows carefully and with respect.

"We appreciate your help and cooperation here, despite our mistakes. If I may ask one further favor? Please keep an eye on this rope. It may be our only way back up...if we survive whatever is down there of course. If we do not return in a few days, our friends who headed back up will probably return to kook for us, and they can decide for themselves what to do from there."


INACTIVE - GAME DIED

"I'll go," says Caelan without hesitation.


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

"Thank you Caelan. Your trust in my abilities is flattering."

Turning back to the others, Gauntlet points at the hole and states:

"We will go ahead of you all and quickly scout the bottom. If you hear nothing, proceed very carefully. We will give a call if we find something or if it is safe if we can. In the military we would use code words when scouting: 'Move' means things are safe. 'Encounter' meant a single enemy engaged. 'Two-Up' means multiple enemies found. 'Force' means reinforcements needed quickly. 'Blast' means throw what you got at the enemy and retreat. Clear? If nothing else, once I'm down and if someone slips, I should be able to use my abilities quickly enough to save you. Just yell 'Help!' Note however my power is limited, so I cannot save everyone if you all fall for whatever reason."


Init +7, fort+5 Rfx +6 Will 0. hp 32/32 two-blade+7(1d8+3/19-20x2) or 2 at +5/+5 (d8+2,d8+1) cg Elf fighter (2-wpn) 4

Viorr's tanned face splits into a broad grin at Gauntlet's offer. "I would love to jump into the unkown with you, fiend! Can you take us both?" he adds, nodding at Caelan.

No survival here. We'll lose some length tying it together, and around the hatch, so a third rope would be ideal.

It the hatch a hinged door, or more of an iris?


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

Gauntlet shakes his head wearily.

"Sorry no. I can activate the magic a few times each day, but only two people at a time at most until I can use my magic better. Also note, I do not have to include myself with the magic. I could cast it on two others if I need to. However, I would prefer to save the extra magic in case I need it later to stop an unexpected fall once I'm below. So who is it to be? Viorr or Caelan? Both are durable fighters. Which of you is the better climber? That is the best way to decide: The better climber should take the rope probably."


INACTIVE - GAME DIED

"I'm a pretty solid climber, though my armor does make things a little difficult," Caelan says.


Shadow's Status

The hatch is a "sliding" door that disappeared flush with the wall. A grappling hook could hook the side by the floor but there are few things here to tie a rope to. It seems that magic was used for ingress and egress.


male Minotaur Cleric 4 Max hp 39/39, AC 16, ff 14, t 14, F +7, R +2, W +7; perc +12, sense motive +9

Pink eye will try to tie the rope off together
survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Hp 16/16 AC 18 / T 15 / FF 13 (-1 Perc; +4 Init; Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2)

Here use my grappling hook and use it here to ancher the rope she says handing it over to the minotaur


Medic/Miserable Bastard | NG Male Human Oracle 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 (T 10, FF 15) | CMB +1 / CMD: 11 | F +2, R +0, W +5 | Init +0 | Perception +3. Sense Motive +6 | Speed 30' | Channels 4/5 | Spells 1st: 3/5 | Hero Points: 8/6 | *Active effects: none

Carduus glances down the shaft into darkness as the others discuss the best method to descend. Down and down and down we go, where we'll stop, nobody knows. He looks over the hulking otyughs and gives them a nod. At least we got us a rearguard.


Shadow's Status

Sharn - City of Towers - 998 YK - Ninth Day of Dravago - Dorasharn Tower - The Ruins of Dorasharn

Pink-Eye ties the ropes together and the length of one end to Beylinda's grappling hook. He triple checks the knots to ensure that they will hold, once satisfied he secures the grapple to the opening on the sewer side and tosses the rope down the shaft.

Who will make the first descent with Gauntlet? Note you see no light source down there at all not even the hint of one.


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

While waiting for the others to decide who goes with him on his jump, Gauntlet will summon some Dancing Lights as far down in the pit as he can.

Standard spell range is Medium: 100ft +10 ft per level.


Init +7, fort+5 Rfx +6 Will 0. hp 32/32 two-blade+7(1d8+3/19-20x2) or 2 at +5/+5 (d8+2,d8+1) cg Elf fighter (2-wpn) 4

"Go ahead, Caelan. I'll take the rope."


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

Unless his light reveals anything special or unique, Gauntlet will continue moving down.

Once Caelan is ready, Gauntlet will explain the magic he will be using.

"The magic works once we are moving and no longer touching the ground, so we have to jump together. On a count of three?"

Gauntlet summons his usual two-handed mind-blade made of shadows and dust, and then moves to the pit entrance.

"Ready? One...two...THREE!"

Casting Feather Fall on myself and Caelan! It will last 2 rounds with Sharn's boost to my magic, so it will work for a total of 120 feet of falling or until we touch solid ground.


Shadow's Status

Sharn - City of Towers - 998 YK - Ninth Day of Dravago - Dorasharn Tower - The Ruins of Dorasharn

Gauntlet and Caelan

With lights dancing on the floor of the shaft Gauntlet and Caelan descend the 100' to the bottom supported by magic. The vertical shaft is a mix of crumbling earth and ancient stone, and centipedes and other insects cover the walls like living decorations. The long descent takes you deeper into the bowels of Dorasharn Tower.

Once you reach the "floor" you realize that the shaft begins to angle, and by bracing jourself you can actually walk along one of the surfaces. Another 60' you travel this way until the shaft becomes a tunnel, and the footing is no longer difficult to maintain or treacherous.

The tunnel eventually opens onto a vast chamber, though it emerges
about six feet above the floor. You can't see the distant walls in the darkness as the light cannot illuminate that far, and the ruins of nearby walls and building appear as deep shadows in the eternal tower night, but you can feel the change in air currents and pressure that indicate a large open space ahead of you.

I assume you brought the dancing lights with you, do you send them ahead into this chamber or head back for the others?

Viorr

The light from Gauntlets spell begins to move away from the floor but you are still able to climb down with ease. Once on solid ground you see that the shaft extends downward still this time at an angle that is manageable to maneuver. You see Gauntlet and Caelan's light, it is but a flicker so they must be far ahead of you.

Does anyone else want to climb down now or wait for further information from below?


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

Gauntlet holds back the dancing lights. He is fearful they might draw unwanted denizens to their location prematurely.

Turning back to the tunnel and the descending group, Gauntlet calls back with his scouting terminology:

"'Move!' It is safe to descend!"


INACTIVE - GAME DIED

Caelan shouts up as he draws his sword again. "I can't see much," he whispers to Gauntlet. "Looks clear for the moment."


Half-Elf Bloodrager | HP 15/22 | AC 19 (t12/ff19) | Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +3 | sense motive +0, perception +7 (low-light vision); +2 initiative

"Can anyone use detect magic on the tube?" Taryn asks looking at Beylinda, "Maybe there's an enchantment in place that would allow us to move up and down safely?"


male Minotaur Cleric 4 Max hp 39/39, AC 16, ff 14, t 14, F +7, R +2, W +7; perc +12, sense motive +9

As soon as he sees them get past his sight Pink eye will jump on the rope and climb his way down by rope.

climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

dc 5 for a rope with a wall to brace against


Medic/Miserable Bastard | NG Male Human Oracle 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 (T 10, FF 15) | CMB +1 / CMD: 11 | F +2, R +0, W +5 | Init +0 | Perception +3. Sense Motive +6 | Speed 30' | Channels 4/5 | Spells 1st: 3/5 | Hero Points: 8/6 | *Active effects: none

When instructed to descend, Carduus sticks his sunrod through his belt and climbs down the rope. Once on firm footing, he mumbles a spell and summons forth light from his buckler before retrieving the sunrod and holding it with the same shield-hand.

Taking 10 on his Climb checks, then casts light on his buckler.


Hp 16/16 AC 18 / T 15 / FF 13 (-1 Perc; +4 Init; Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2)

Beylinda will go last and with the use of her light spell makes the trip down


Shadow's Status

Sharn - City of Towers - 998 YK - Ninth Day of Dravago - Dorasharn Tower - The Ruins of Dorasharn

Magic revealing spells show no effect that would help entering or exiting the shaft. The two groups manage to get down the shaft and negotiate the angled tunnel easily enough.

The groups stands at the edge of darkness peering into the large ancient chamber.

Who wants to enter or do you want to send Dancing Lights forward Gauntlet? The shaft here is 10' so the group can stand two by two.

No map here yet I'll try to get one up tonight.


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

Once everybody is down, Gauntlet will send the dancing lights ahead and into the big chamber as the group advances. We'll follow up slowly keeping the light just ahead of where we are going so we are not being illuminated directly, but the ground just in front of our group is so we can see traps or any other possible obstructions in our path.

"This should go without saying...but watch your step and keep your eyes out for any danger. If you see anything out of the ordinary, speak out. Some of us can see better than the rest. I can also change the light's position as needed for better viewing. Caelan and I will go first side-by-side, then the rest of you pick a partner and form a double line behind us. Keep the spacing decent but not too wide: We don't want to hit each other with our swings, but we may need to reach each other quickly as needed."


Half-Elf Bloodrager | HP 15/22 | AC 19 (t12/ff19) | Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +3 | sense motive +0, perception +7 (low-light vision); +2 initiative

Taryn cautiously climbs done when his turn arises, and follows the others toward the chamber.

also taking 10 to climb


male Minotaur Cleric 4 Max hp 39/39, AC 16, ff 14, t 14, F +7, R +2, W +7; perc +12, sense motive +9

Pink eye with his reach will slide behind the front two his hands on his large axe as he peers in the darkness.


Female Khoravar Wizard 2 (Water School) | HP 12/12 | Speed 30ft./Swim 40ft. | AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (CMD 13) | Fort +3 : Ref +2 : Will +4 | Init +2, Perception +2(low light)

The last down, Ama was careful in climbing the rope, physical exertion on this level something that she had not done— ever. Getting down was... novel, and something that she did not want to have to repeat anytime soon. Flushed and breathing with some difficulty, she stood up from her slightly rough landing after her grip gave out, brushing her robes off while gathering what remained of her dignity. Her pack was shifted awkwardly, muttering imprecations under her breath about ill-fitting packs and gravity. When the others set out, she was following behind them.


Hp 16/16 AC 18 / T 15 / FF 13 (-1 Perc; +4 Init; Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2)

I'll bring the rear and have a light spell in use for those who need it


Shadow's Status

I assumed everyone took 10 as the DC with a rope I believe is 5. Good job with the knot Pink!

New map up above. 5' squares.


Shadow's Status

Sharn - City of Towers - 998 YK - Ninth Day of Dravago - Dorasharn Tower - The Ruins of Dorasharn

Light from Gauntlet and Carduus' spells light the way ahead while Beylinda's spell lights the way behind. At the edge of the light the group hears the sound of scuttling.

Knowledge Nature DC 13:
That is the sound of a swarm heading towards your light!


Medic/Miserable Bastard | NG Male Human Oracle 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 (T 10, FF 15) | CMB +1 / CMD: 11 | F +2, R +0, W +5 | Init +0 | Perception +3. Sense Motive +6 | Speed 30' | Channels 4/5 | Spells 1st: 3/5 | Hero Points: 8/6 | *Active effects: none

What's that noise? Sounds like a wave of pebbles is coming up on us!


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

Suddenly worried, Gauntlet shifts his dancing lights to try and find where the sound is coming from.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Male Human Swashbuckler 2(Mysterious Avenger)

Erix, whip at the ready, peers around the darkness, as he hears the sound. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 Perception, low-light vision


Half-Elf Bloodrager | HP 15/22 | AC 19 (t12/ff19) | Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +3 | sense motive +0, perception +7 (low-light vision); +2 initiative

Taryn grips his hammer and looks and listens for threats.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


male Minotaur Cleric 4 Max hp 39/39, AC 16, ff 14, t 14, F +7, R +2, W +7; perc +12, sense motive +9

perc: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

bugs! Thousands of them in a huge swarm coming toward the light!

if they are far enough out I can move a bit ahead of the group and channel negative on their chitterous butts


Female Khoravar Wizard 2 (Water School) | HP 12/12 | Speed 30ft./Swim 40ft. | AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (CMD 13) | Fort +3 : Ref +2 : Will +4 | Init +2, Perception +2(low light)

Ama listened to the sound, her mind trying to grasp the amount of forms that would have to be present to make such a sound. [b]"Any oil? We need to deter or avoid them!"
_______________________________
K.(Nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 What kind of bugs are they?


Hp 16/16 AC 18 / T 15 / FF 13 (-1 Perc; +4 Init; Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2)

Anyone got Fire, preferably some alchemist fire ? she tell those in front


INACTIVE - GAME DIED

"Yes, I have a couple vials of alchemist's fire," says Caelan.


Init +7, fort+5 Rfx +6 Will 0. hp 32/32 two-blade+7(1d8+3/19-20x2) or 2 at +5/+5 (d8+2,d8+1) cg Elf fighter (2-wpn) 4

"Alas, I am unprepared for such." Viorr adds after a brief glance through his pack.


Medic/Miserable Bastard | NG Male Human Oracle 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 (T 10, FF 15) | CMB +1 / CMD: 11 | F +2, R +0, W +5 | Init +0 | Perception +3. Sense Motive +6 | Speed 30' | Channels 4/5 | Spells 1st: 3/5 | Hero Points: 8/6 | *Active effects: none

Everyone in Carduus's original party should have 1 flask alchemist fire, 1 sunrod, and 2 torches; apologies that I didn't make that more explicit at the time.


Shadow's Status
Ama Freewater wrote:
What kind of bugs are they?

Beetles!


Shadow's Status

Sharn - City of Towers - 998 YK - Ninth Day of Dravago - Dorasharn Tower - The Ruins of Dorasharn

From the shadows at the edge of Gauntlet's dancing lights surges a living carpet squirming, chittering, shiny black beetles that swarm toward you with hungry purpose.

The warning you received is sufficient for you all to have pulled one item from your backpacks or wherever it is you store your supplies.

DMB ONLY:

Viorr 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Erix 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Gauntlet 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Ama 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Pink – Eye 1d20 ⇒ 2
Caelan 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Taryn 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Carduus 1d20 ⇒ 12
Beylinda 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Swarm 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Initiative - Round 1
Everyone BUT Caelan - GO!
Beetle Swarm
Caelan.


Warforged LN Magus (Mindblade) 4 | HP36/36 (DR3/-) | Speed 20ft | AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (CMD 18) | Fort +6 : Ref +4 : Will +5 |Psychic Pool 6pts/Day | Init +2, Perception +5 | Active: None

Having no way to effect the swarm, Gauntlet climbs some rocks next to him to gain some possible safety.

"Climb! Get out of their path!"

Climb(w/Armor): 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 6 - 2 = 24


male Minotaur Cleric 4 Max hp 39/39, AC 16, ff 14, t 14, F +7, R +2, W +7; perc +12, sense motive +9

Pink Eye will say anyone got an extra bottle of that fire stuff or even some oil? Once they are on fire I could throw oil on them!

Delay hoping to be given something from the back of the group


Hp 16/16 AC 18 / T 15 / FF 13 (-1 Perc; +4 Init; Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2)

i have a flask of Alchemist fire she says pulling it out


Init +7, fort+5 Rfx +6 Will 0. hp 32/32 two-blade+7(1d8+3/19-20x2) or 2 at +5/+5 (d8+2,d8+1) cg Elf fighter (2-wpn) 4

Climb for safety!: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Female Khoravar Wizard 2 (Water School) | HP 12/12 | Speed 30ft./Swim 40ft. | AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (CMD 13) | Fort +3 : Ref +2 : Will +4 | Init +2, Perception +2(low light)

Having nothing immediately on hand to do anything to combat the swarm, nor any resources that she could utilize to aid the others, she did what she could to try to avoid them, moving out of its path and trying to climb out of their way. Keeping her head, she tried not to panic, but she realized that she could not go far without the light the others were providing. Ama was unable to stop to generate her own yet, so she tried to climb the nearest outcropping as best she was able, which was unsuccessful.
__________________________
Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 3


Medic/Miserable Bastard | NG Male Human Oracle 2 | HP: 22/22 | AC: 15 (T 10, FF 15) | CMB +1 / CMD: 11 | F +2, R +0, W +5 | Init +0 | Perception +3. Sense Motive +6 | Speed 30' | Channels 4/5 | Spells 1st: 3/5 | Hero Points: 8/6 | *Active effects: none

As the black beetles come into the light Carduus readies his flask of alchemist's fire and moves up to within 10' before throwing it at the center of the horde.

Alchemist's fire to hit vs Touch AC: 1d20 ⇒ 15

Alchemist's fire dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 4 fire

EDIT: Realized I could move up and throw rather than waiting for them to come to me!


male Minotaur Cleric 4 Max hp 39/39, AC 16, ff 14, t 14, F +7, R +2, W +7; perc +12, sense motive +9

Pink eye will come out of delay grab the alchemist fire and chuck it at the swarm:

ranged touch attack: 1d20 ⇒ 4

damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4


Shadow's Status

Sharn - City of Towers - 998 YK - Ninth Day of Dravago - Dorasharn Tower - The Ruins of Dorasharn

Carduus:
That was a miss, do you want to spend a Hero Point for that to be a hit?

Beylinda throws the alchemist fire!

Ranged Touch 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Fire Damage 1d6 ⇒ 1

That was like a roll I make as a PC here on the boards!

The flask strikes the middle of the swarm but fails to spread very far.

Pink-Eye's aim is off and the vial fails to strike the swarm, happily though his miss was close to the rubble and has created at least temporarily, enough of a threat to prevent the swarm from attempting to climb the ruins that his friends have elected to take shelter upon!

Round 1 -
Erix & Taryn - GO!
Swarm
Caelan


Half-Elf Bloodrager | HP 15/22 | AC 19 (t12/ff19) | Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +3 | sense motive +0, perception +7 (low-light vision); +2 initiative

well, sh!t... we were told we'd need fire, maybe it was for these bugs... but if we burn through all our alchemist's fire now and need flame later we're going to be in trouble... dammit.

Leaving his flask of alchemist's flame safely stowed for now, Taryn grips his hammer tight and prepares to strike the bugs when they come into reach. readying an action to try a melee attack if/when the swarm comes into reach

251 to 300 of 703 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Forgotten Forge - Eberron All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.