GM Euan's Mummy's Mask

Game Master Euan

Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Osirion Map - Wati City Map - Tephu City Map


4,251 to 4,300 of 8,525 << first < prev | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | next > last >>

Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

I don’t know if Nidhi is worried about traveling the streets of Wati alone, but the citizenry has calmed somewhat and folks aren’t afraid to go out after dark anymore like they were just a week or two ago. The church of Pharasma has done an excellent job of cleaning up the mess created by the Ka-pulse of the mask, in no small part due to Ptemenib from what you hear on the streets. Sebti the 'Crocodile' (head of the Pharasman church in Wati) is praising him publicly for his leadership and action during the time of strife. You'll also hear your names mentioned here and there, thanks to some of the work Nidhi has done to promote the party.

Though you have a couple hours before sunset, it sounds like the party is going to spend the night in Wati, rather than taking the evening ferry back to Tephu. Abdur cashes you out from the haul you brought him now (this is the divvy from pre-Stelle) and offers what succor he can provide - as always. ”You lot are doing great things, and I’m glad to be of service.”

Feel free to continue to discuss your plans, and your evening’s entertainment. Stelle, Abdur has a block of rooms reserved for the party at the Tooth and Hookah, so named for ‘Toothy’ a tiny crocodile which resides in the bar. You may have one of those rooms for the night. They're a little small, but spacious enough for you and Annie.

The party will meet again at breakfast at the Tooth and Hookah. It’s about an hour before the ferry leaves for Tephu on Toilday, Erastus 1, 4714.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi is afraid to walk the streets alone, so she decides to provide entertainment for the evening – despite her lack of coordination. She claps her hands to garner attention of the local patrons before sitting on a table and singing about their latest adventures in Tephu. A great crocodile golem in the crypts below the city. Animated and angry, casting Bone Prison on Nidhi, trapping the extremely talented singer until the rest of the party strikes down the beast.

Perform (Song): 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (19) + 17 = 36

Nidhi keeps a relatively low profile and goes to bed a reasonable time so she can rise early like usual.

How does Nidhi feel in the morning? The same? Worse?

Nidhi rises early like the morning person she is. After washing her face, Nidhi tucks her mask under her arm and (if she still feels poisoned goes to bother Zilchus.) She knocks on his (and Ben's?) door, "Zilchus! You promised to help help me! Wake up!" Nidhi (perhaps obnoxiously) raps on the door for five minutes or until it's opened. If Zilchus is too hungover to perform the spell, Nidhi makes a note to have Stelle accompany her to the Church of Pharasma for proper healing. "Do you need anything to do it or can we just do it here?" Nidhi motions to the hallway. Nidhi's eyes widen a little, "wait... your broken sword isn't going to effect your performance, right? You don't need it to cast your spell, right?"

Downstairs, Nidhi orders food to be packaged for her and Stelle as the sun finishes peaking over the horizon. Nidhi brings the other woman a glass of juice to help get her motivated. "Morning," the corner of Nidhi's mouth lifts up in a smile. "We need to go now if you want to see the action. The feeding happens early."

Nidhi scratches Annie behind her ears as they walk. Nidhi points out an empty stone bench near the pool - but not too close - and unwraps the packaged breakfast. "Don't you just love the color of their scales," Nidhi gushes conversationally, "white like the robes of the Priests of Pharasma. ...Who do you pray to?" Nidhi looks content just watching the animals while they finish their breakfast.

Afterwards, Nidhi pulls Stelle to the Church of Pharasma where Nidhi can get a proper look-over. Nidhi approaches someone who appears to work at the church, "excuse me. Do you know who I am? My name is Nidhi Aashirya and I'm one of the people who saved Wati from the undead uprising. Sebti knows who I am. Anyways, I need one of your priests to examine me. I was poisoned yesterday and I want to make sure it's left my system."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Nidhi - you had -3 dex I believe. One would have healed overnight, leaving you still feeling poorly. So you feel a little better, but not much.

Nidhi climbs up on the table and leads the small group through a very impressive story. Many who were there will remember this evening fondly for years to come.

I'll cover the church pending Zilchus.


Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
Nidhi nods, "yeah? Okay, first thing tomorrow then. It's a date, so don't go back on your word."

A date? Zilchus doesn't look too enthused about the prospect, but said he would help and will, on the morrow, offer a lesser restoration to Nidhi.

1d4 of temp ability damage healing.

Zilch rolled this a while back as to not forget to do it. Consider it done.

* * *

After tending to Nidhi (and ignoring the mass volume of her questions with grousy morning impatience), Zilchus will head to the river to tend to his sword. He will repeat several ceremonies in which he will baptize the blade in the river, calling upon the Raging Torrent to restore the damage...offering meat to the crocodiles who should be watching the activity for best results. A few castings of mending should fix it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Do any of the feeders fall in and get eaten?


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Incoming wall of text (giphy)

Jharna’s Shop: (fluff)

Jharna's Shop:
Nidhi encourages Stelle to meet up with the party at the Market Square(?) since Ben had said he’d planned to do some shopping in the morning. Along the way, Nidhi suddenly springs “meeting the family” on Stelle. “Oh, how convenient!” Nidhi announces, “Grandmother’s shop is along the way to meeting up with the others! We should stop by.” If Stelle begins to protest, Nidhi quickly assures her companion that it will only be for a brief moment. Nidhi snakes her arm around Stelle’s and attempts to herd the Halfling woman towards a small two-story shop. “I told you about her chickens, right? Annie can make some new friends too!”

Jharna’s Shop is a small two-story building. A hanging sign depicting a needle and thread reads “Jharna’s Shop" in a pretty font. A wide, storefront window displays Jharna’s latest designs. The second floor houses normal windows, each framed by white shutters. As Nidhi approaches the front entrance, something small, fuzzy and yellow darts from behind the potted cactus under storefront window. The yellow form peeps incessantly, weaving between Nidhi’s, Stelle’s, and Annie’s legs until finally darting inside the shop.

Inside, a wizard’s robe in rich purple is strewn over Jharna’s sewing desk. Several wicker baskets full of silvery thread and fabric scraps clutter the floor surrounding the project. A threadbare chaise lounge sits on the opposite side along next to a low table, decorated with a platter of honeyed pastries. “Grandmother?” Nidhi calls out into the open space. A moment later, an older woman with deep-set laugh-lines and skin that is wrinkled and tanned from the harsh desert sun appears at the rear door. The older woman uses a cane to walk, but approaches Nidhi with uncanny speed for a woman of her age. "Nidhi, my dear! You’re back from Tephu!” Jharna glances over at Stelle and Annie, smiling: “and you’ve brought company!” Jharna approaches Stelle, ”welcome to my shop, dear. Any friend of Nidhi’s is always welcome here. Please help yourself to some cakes; I just baked them yesterday,” Jharna motions a wrinkled hand to the stack of honeyed pastries.

The baby chick from earlier darts back into view, rushing to Jharna’s feet. “Ahh, back from your adventure too, I see.” Jharna gracefully bends down to pick up the yellow ball that’s still cheeping animatedly. The older woman turns without another word and heads to the backyard of the shop. Nidhi follows.

Outside, the one grown chicken – Stuffing – ruffles her feathers and raises her head to the sky. Stuffing’s stature dominates over the height of five baby chicks pecking at the ground outside their coop. For show, Stuffing gives an authoritative bawk and the five yellow chicks cheep back. Jharna weather-worn face cracks into a smile, her wrinkles gaining wrinkles, and leans over to whisper: “she’s keep them all in check.” Jharna winks at Stelle and laughs.

“Grandmother,” Nidhi alternates her weight on her feet. “This is going to be a short visit. We’re leaving again and - I’m not sure when I’ll be back. Something’s come up.”

Jharna smiles knowingly at her granddaughter, “ahh, good. Word from your deeds is floating around Wati. I wouldn't expect anything less. Besides, I’ve received more work orders than I can complete.” A guilty expression crosses Nidhi’s face, but Jharna continues: “frankly, I’m glad you have more adventuring to do. I’d have even more customers with you here and I certainly don’t need that.” Jharna’s eyes sparkle mischievously, lightening the mood. Nidhi returns the expression, smiling wide. The two women embrace, the sounds of bawk and peep, peep, peep lightening the heartfelt reunion.

Jharna pulls away first but keeps her hands on Nidhi’s shoulders, “alright, now drop the disguise. I want to see my granddaughter’s face before she leaves again.” Nidhi hesitates for a moment, then drops her disguise. Red stains on her back and front provide a stark contrast to the white of her traveling cloak. Jharna gasps, Nidhi - again?!” Jharna examines the fabric, turning Nidhi in a circle “arrows?”

“Yes,” Nidhi confirms, “this is why I need to leave soon. We’ve stumbled onto something even bigger than we'd previously imagined.” Nidhi bites her lip, but Jharna seems to have relaxed again. Jharna sighs, “my dear, I’m going to make you another traveling cloak. Next time you visit I’ll have it completed and you can give me that,” Jharna motions to Nidhi’s current cloak, “thing.”

Nidhi’s eyes widen, what? No! But, you made this for me!” It’s special. Jharna frowns and crosses her arms over her chest, “and I’ll make you another one! A different color. To hide the blood.”

It’s Nidhi’s turn to make a scene – she huffs and stomps her foot, “but I like wearing white!” This is a 22-year-old disagreeing with her grandmother, but that fact doesn't seem to matter in this situation.

Jharna rolls her eyes, “and I say when you learn to avoid all those pesky arrows you can have the white back. You look like a bulls-eye with that red and white… Actually, you know what? Take it off.” Jharna stares resolutely at Nidhi.

“WHAT?” Nidhi takes a step back.

I’m the old person here, so I know you heard me. Come on. Give it here,” Jharna outstretches her palm. “You look tacky,” Jharna adds, which seems to do the trick. Nidhi unties the blue silk scarf from around her waist and unwraps the traveling cloak from her body. Jharna frowns as Nidhi reveals her cotton shirt, “your other clothes are torn too. Go put on something clean from upstairs. I’ll find an extra cloak for you.” Nidhi grumbles but complies.

Jharna takes Nidhi’s blood-stained cloak and drapes it over her chair on the way to a wooden chest. The older woman sets her cane on the windowsill so she can use both hands to fiddle with the chest's lock. Jharna pulls a pin from her hair and inserts it into the keyhole. She puts her ear to the box while her gnarled fingers play with the tarnished metal. After a moment, Jharna straightens with a satisfied look on her face and lifts the lid. Jharna rifles around in the container, holding up several different garments before pulling out a traveling cloak of deep crimson. “Ahh, perfect for hiding blood.”

Nidhi returns to the shop floor, her left hand rests on the staircase banister as she surveys the room. She’s changed into brown cloth pants and a green cotton shirt, closed with a strip of soft leather laced in X’s up the front. “Nidhi dear, I found something you can wear until I have your new traveling cloak made.” Jharna holds up the plain garment, which lacks the intricately stitched symbols on Nidhi's white cloak. Nidhi looks a bit deflated, “okay, grandmother.” Jharna helps Nidhi into the cloak, which seems to fit Nidhi well enough.

“I made this for a traveling medicine woman who turned out to be a cultist,” Jharna says conversationally, “I should have known when she placed the order. Nobody orders red cloaks anymore. Nidhi’s shoulders sink a little lower and Jharna quickly interjects: “oh - but it looks wonderful on you! With your green eyes. And white is hard to keep clean when you’re out adventuring.” Nidhi contemplates this for a moment and seems to cheer up, “and it’s only until you make me something else.” Jharna stays silent, distracted by her own thoughts.

“Grandma?!” Nidhi's voice stirs Jharna out of thought. Jharna pulls the generous hood of the cloak over Nidhi’s head and retrieves a silk scarf in a dark red off a wall peg to wrap around Nidhi’s waist. “Of course, just... Try not to get any more famous,” Jharna teases. “I’m old - I can only handle so much!” Jharna's words seem to hold a double meaning as the two women embrace again. Jharna speaks into Nidhi’s ear: “if you’re going to be gone for a while this time, don’t forget you can write.” Nidhi swipes at a tear that’s rolled down to her chin, “I will. Be safe, grandmother.” A course laugh rises up from Jharna's throat, "that's my line!" Jharna offers Stelle a hug and gives Annie an enthusiastic belly rub. Jharna’s gnarled and wrinkled hands are quite nimble for someone of her age.

Shopping at Sunburst Market:

Nidhi wonders if she looks like a cultist with her dark crimson cloak. She casts disguise on herself to hide the mask while she shops. Nidhi wonders around from stall to stall, examining belts. The most appealing belts all seem to feature a tiger on the buckle. (Nidhi is looking at getting a Belt of Incredible Dexterity.) Nidhi also makes small-talk with various vendors to find out who can perform an additional enchantment of +1 Dexterity to her current weapon. “Is this going to take a while? I’m Nidhi Aashirya - maybe you've heard of me - I was one of the heroes who saved Wati. I have important business to attend to, so I would appreciate speedy service.” Dex Belt: 4,000gp, +2 Dex)

Diplomacy (explain who she is and that she needs speedy service): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22

Sometime either at the Market or back at the Inn, Nidhi and Stelle meet up with Ben (who also mentioned wanting to shop), Florence, and Zilchus. Nidhi feels compelled to explain why she’s wearing different clothes than yesterday, but is quick to change the subject. “So, Ben, were you able to find a new headband? Or... something?” Nidhi tilts her head and places a hand on her hip, “not that I think you need it. You’re plenty smart already.”

__________________________

Nidhi and Jharna Interactions (Timeline)
Sunday, 1 Sarenith, 4714: Jharna Introduced
Oathday, 5 Sarenith, 4714: Jharna’s, Ginger referenced again
Fireday, 6 Sarenith, 4714: Jharna and Nidhi gossip about Nidhi’s first love (Cahal)
Sunday, 8 Sarenith, 4714: Nidhi tells Jharna about the Necropolis
Moonday, 9 Sarenith, 4714: Jharna and Nidhi discuss the purpose of life
Moonday, 9 Sarenith, 4714: Nidhi admires Jharna’s work
Wealday, 11 Sarenith, 4714: Nidhi’s and Zilchus’ differing opinions
Wealday, 11 Sarenith, 4714: Jharna’s Shop post-undead uprising
Oathday, 12 Sarenith, 4714: rescuing Ptememnib
Starday, 14 Sarenith, 4714: Nebta-Khufre did WHAT to his gma?!
Sunday, 15 Sarenith, 4714: Jharna mends Nidhi’s clothes
Moonday, 30 Sareith, 4714: Current day

Nidhi-gritty details:
Going back and collecting interactions I realized it’s supposed to be ginger, not garlic that Nidhi and her grandmother eat all the time (because they believe it keeps the undead away.) Oops!

Also, sometime after(?) the auction, Nidhi starts having a taste for jewelry and high-quality fabrics. Although, perhaps her inclination towards jewelry can be played off as part of her performance/costume and the fabrics/pillows as part of her Tailoring background. I don’t see Nidhi as materialistic/collector of expensive things but she loves garnering attention/being at the front line of conversation.


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

At some point the previous evening, before the party adjourns to head to their respective beds, Florence finds a moment to slip away from the group and speak to Abdur privately.

"Um, Abdur? I hate to ask since you've done so much for us already but do you think you could help me with something?" she asks, coughing slightly to get his attention. "You see, when we found that cursed headband and thought it was the deal thing, Ben gave me his old one," Florence explains, lifting her hair slightly so Abdur can get a better look. "And now he won't let me return it. But I know he really appreciated the powers that his old headband had..."

She reaches into her pack and pulls out her coin pouch, containing all the money she owns in this world. "Um...I know I'm still several hundred gold short but if I give you all of this as a...a...down payment, do you think you could find another headband for Ben - same as this one? The rest of what I owe, you can just keep out of my share the next time we bring more things to sell. Would that be okay?" Florence finishes, bouncing on the balls of her feet a bit anxiously.

"Oh...and um, if you can...could we make it green? I think green suits him...."
________

Going to wait and see how the GM/Abdur wish to resolve Flo's proposal before I post anything about next-day shopping :)


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Zilchus walks down to the confluence of the three rivers and, avoiding any potential crocodiles that may wish him harm, is able to fully mend his blade with a half hours work or so. The rivers are lovely this time of day, with the cool night air burning off in the morning sun, causing little wisps of steam to rise among the reeds of the riverbank.

Nidhi and Stelle head to breakfast at the Golden Lake, a fine place to begin the day, but first stop at Grandmothers house for a change of clothes, and some early pre-breakfast pastries.

Separating the Grand Mausoleum (the high church of Pharasma in Wati) from the Sunburst Market, this artificial pool takes its name from the coating of gold dust cast over its surface each year on the Day of Bones. The lake also houses a rare breed of white crocodiles that are sacred to Wati’s Pharasmin church. Regularly fed and cared for, these long-lived cousins of the more dangerous crocodiles found in Osirion’s rivers pose little threat to tourists or residents. Crocodile Keeper Neb-at demonstrates an uncanny control over the sacred beasts.

The only one, strictly speaking, permitted to feed the crocodiles (though many slip them food now and again in violation of the rules), Neb-at does not fall in.

From there they drift into the Sunburst Market. Unfortunately for Nidhi, no one there sells magical wares, though one or two friendly merchants suggest Milki (Abdur’s shop) as the place to go for such things in Wati.

Florence, starting the day in Milki finds a receptive Abdur, who must be growing wealthy indeed from the parties goods, though he doesn’t show it. ”I’ll tell you what. I’lll let it go at cost, as a loan - a woman should have some money in her pockets after all… for emergencies. Pay me when you can.” he smiles warmly and sells her a headband for 2,000gp with 2,000gp on account.


Sadly, there is a lot to respond to above, but I just don't have the time today. Going to appreciate all the posts above, but won't be able to build on any of them this day. Apologies.

Zilchus almost gets up to join Nidhi with her song, but refrains as he hasn't quite had enough to drink yet to make that a true desire rather than passing fancy. As it stands, he has a few more drinks then gets to bed.

He has no other pressing shopping needs, but does follow the party on their errands to help with security and enjoy the sunshine.

He is ready to move on to whatever is next.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Halfling Cavalier/16

Tooth and Hookah
~~~
Stelle awakens early, eager to experience the feeding of the crocodiles at Golden Lake.

She looks at herself in the full length mirror. What does one wear to the Feeding of the Crocodiles?

She dons her sleeves of many garments and tries:

A gown. Does that really minimize my shoulders?! Oh, no. That's just too much anyway. They're just simple creatures, crocodiles.

Safari? Oh, dear Gods it's only going to blind the feeder. She tries toning the skirt down various hues and shines before giving up and trying:

Waders. Oh, for Sarenrae's sake. I'm not going to be the one feeding them. I think I'll just stick to my armor. That's always flattering.

She feeds and walks Anubis, taking care to clean up after him before joining Nidhi for breakfast.

Jharna's Shop:

Nihdi wrote:
"Grandmother's shop is along the way to meeting up with the others! We should stop by."

"Sure, why not?"

Stelle momentarily gets hung up window shopping before being waylaid by a small yellow peeping chick.
"Aww..." She covers her cooing with her hands.

She follows Nihdi into the shop an gratefully helps herself to the honeyed pastries. "Thank you, pleased to meet you Miss Jharna, Stuffing, and Chicks." She greets all graciously as she is introduced and keeps herself occupied while Nidhi and Jharna sort out familial business.

She turns to Nidhi as they take their leave. "You know, the Crimson really does go better with your eyes."

Golden Lake

Nidhi wrote:
"Don't you just love the color of their scales, white like the robes of the Priests of Pharasma. ...Who do you pray to?"

"Just beautiful. I wonder if there are more in the wild. Oh, I prefer the neutral and good gods, they all have their place in the grand scheme. I don't happen to favor any one over the other, however."

~~~
As the morning progresses Stelle shifts to various other light topics of conversation.
"Thanks for breakfast! Your performance last night was very entertaining. I particularly loved the audience participation."

~~~
"You Grandmother is a lovely person. She cares for you so much. Her work is fantastic!"

~~~
"Is it me, or are Ben and Florence making googily eyes at each other?"

~~~
"Did you want to check in on Abdur for a belt?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Pharaoh Hound, Animal Companion, Lvl 16

Jharna's Shop:

Annie's eyes go wide when five little yellow balls dart straight toward him. He whimpers nervously a little.
Yellow ball! Waddling! What is this? he sniffs tenatively at one, and sneezes. Goddess Stelle said to leave them. Not for eating. He lifts one paw off of the ground to avoid the downly onslaught, then starts whimpering when he can find no longer find any space beneath himself free of chicks to set it back down. Forced to lift the other, he instead slides back only to discover he's now surrounded!

He puts his tail solidly between his legs, and gracefully hefts himself onto a garden chair where he proceeds to make himself look as small as possible, so as to no longer be noticed.

I. Am. Invisible...


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Anubis-Ka, "Annie" wrote:
Yellow ball! Waddling! What is this? he sniffs tenatively at one, and sneezes. Goddess Stelle said to leave them. Not for eating. He lifts one paw off of the ground to avoid the downly onslaught, then starts whimpering when he can find no longer find any space beneath himself free of chicks to set it back down. Forced to lift the other, he instead slides back only to discover he's now surrounded!

The small chicks don't seem to comprehend the possible dangers of a large animal. They cheep enthusiastically as they zigzag around Annie's legs with little concern for their own mortality. Stuffing clucks and struts around nearby, keenly watching with her beady little eyes.

I've heard halflings are easy-going but I'm afraid asking might offend her. Nidhi seems pleased with her morning and enjoys Stelle’s easy conversation. Nidhi looks thoughtful, “gods all have their place in the grand scheme... I like that.” Why wouldn’t gods have their own fates to fulfil?

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"You Grandmother is a lovely person. She cares for you so much. Her work is fantastic!"

Nidhi's heart swells with pride, "yes, she's the most amazing woman I know. You know, I really feel annoyed when people disrespect their elders. They have so much wisdom to pass on." Nidhi looks starry-eyed, "and a grandmother's heart is a garden of love. Always a freshly baked pasty to eat or clean, sun-dried sheets to sleep in." Nidhi lets out a contented sigh.

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"Thanks for breakfast! Your performance last night was very entertaining. I particularly loved the audience participation."

Nidhi wraps the end of her braid around her index finger, “oh, was it a good performance? I guess the tavern patrons looked happy." Nidhi looks sheepish for a moment: "I've lost some confidence since we met Muminofrah. Zilchus seems to be great at everything since arriving at Tephu and it really makes me mad!” Nidhi turns to her companion, reaching out for her hand: “Stelle, I know we just met yesterday, but I feel like I can be honest with you.” Nidhi hesitates, “a with Ben courting Flo, she just doesn’t have as much time to spend with me. And Zilchus is so – so – ignorant! So, I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m hoping you will be that person. My confidant.” The last sentence rushes out past Nidhi’s lips. “You clearly have good taste and a decent mind. Much more than some people I know. Nidhi feels a pang of annoyance as an image of Zilchus pop into her head. Why does Muminofrah favor him? I just don’t understand… and he likes her too? I need to put his ego back in check somehow... unless it really is love. Nidhi begins to scheme but Stelle’s question pulls Nidhi out of her plotting mood. “Oh, yeah. I’d love to go talk to Abdur.”

~*~*~*~*~

Abdur's Office:

Nidhi requests to speak with Abdur when they arrive at Milki. Nidhi helps herself to a comfortable seat and smiles at Adbur, "I know we just spoke yesterday, but I'm in need of some items." Nidhi's eyes light up, "actually, would you like to guess what I'm looking for? You might be able to sell me something extra if you do!" Nidhi lifts an eyebrow, her smile somewhat sensual.

"I've been thinking about buying a belt to help with my acrobatics and archery. Something pretty - perhaps something that's inlaid with precious stones that'll match my jewelry. I don't mind paying a little extra for the extravagance." Nidhi affectionately caresses the onyx and silver holy symbol of Pharasma that hangs from her neck. Her various gold and lapis lazuli bracelets jingle with the movement.

"I'm also considering purchasing an additional enchantment for my bow-" Nidhi abruptly stops speaking, considering other ways she could spend her money. She examines the rugs that line the wall of the tavern and sighs, "you know, Abdur, from a fellow citizen of Wati to another," Nidhi leans forward like she's divulging a secret: "I've always wanted a magic carpet. I know they're niche items but I think a carpet would really suit me. Just imagine: I could sing as it tours around the tavern!" Nidhi laughs jovially as she imagines the performance. "Actually, I was saving for one but I think it's unwise to walk around with so much coin in my pockets." Nidhi leans forward conspiratorially: "unless you think I should continue to save and just go for it!" Nidhi straighten her posture, her face serious "I'm not one to play coy, Abdur, so I'll tell you up front: I have about 975 platinum to burn. I've also worked in my grandmother's shop so I know the market can sometimes be... volatile."

Knowledge (Local) Prices back to normal?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

The following day, Benedictus wakes up early and goes for a morning stroll around the Tooth and Hookah, then he goes back to his room and starts studying, going over and over the formulas of his spells. He enjoys this early part of the day very much, more than he did in the last few days.

That headband had a really bad influence on me...

The scholar joins the others for breakfast, where he plays along with the others in good mood.

"As I said," he explains as he eats his breakfast, "I will need part of the morning to buy a specific item, and then I am ready to go."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Abdur smiles at Nidhi, "I do have a flying carpet, a 5' x 10' model. Unfortunately, that is a bit out of your price range at the moment, but I think we can ensorcel your bow a bit, and get you that belt!" he explains that the market rates are still a little high, but he's farming most of the goods the party needs out of town, so he's able to charge/pay the usual rates.

Abdur will need to keep your bow for the day, but he'll give it back to you in the morning.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
GM Euan wrote:
"I do have a flying carpet, a 5' x 10' model. Unfortunately, that is a bit out of your price range at the moment"

"Would you... let me take it for a test drive?" Nidhi raises an eyebrow, leaning forward a little. Nidhi straightens, "how did you even happen into a flying carpet? Was it a family heirloom or a gift from a wealthy arch mage?" Nidhi shakes her head and laughs, "I can't believe you aren't riding it all over town! You're too modest, Abdur!"

GM Euan wrote:
Abdur will need to keep your bow for the day, but he'll give it back to you in the morning.

"It'll take that long?" I have my spells so I guess I'll be okay. Nidhi fidgets in her seat for a moment before deciding to leave her bow with Abdur. "Do I pay you tomorrow morning?" How much is the enchantment? And is the belt 4k?

Nidhi meets up with the rest of the party, "hail, friends!" Nidhi makes a mock soldier salute. "So I have good news and even better news. The good news is that Abdur is upgrading my bow. The better news is that it'll be ready tomorrow morning." Nidhi places a hand on her hip, tilts her head, and smiles. "He's also picking me up a belt. Which I'll pick up tomorrow with my bow."

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"As I said," he explains as he eats his breakfast, "I will need part of the morning to buy a specific item, and then I am ready to go."

"Ben, have you picked up that specific item yet? You know, if you're having trouble finding motivation to shop, I suggest we spend the day celebrating life at a local tavern." Nidhi motions at the nearest tavern, suggesting they "celebrate life."


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

If your bow is already Masterwork, it'll be just 2,000gp. If not, it'll be 2,300gp. Yes, the belt, though made to look very nice, is still just 4,000gp.


Zilchus doesn't engage in the shopping spree, but does grunt positive or negative if asked his opinion on something. However, he is totally an interior beauty person (not that he has much of that either) so how things look isn't a high priority to him.

Except for good teeth. Gotta have good teeth.

He's just happy his sword is fixt and wonders which lead will be followed and when. Or when he can get a drink. He needs a drink.


Female Halfling Cavalier/16
Nidhi wrote:
"and a grandmother's heart is a garden of love. Always a freshly baked pasty to eat or clean, sun-dried sheets to sleep in."

Stelle looks over at the beaming proud Nidhi and smiles. "You're right, of course! The fruit preserves! The apple strudel! Oh, I wish I knew how to make pastry crust! Still, it wouldn't be as good as a Grandma's!"

Nidhi wrote:
"I've lost some confidence since we met Muminofrah. Zilchus seems to be great at everything since arriving at Tephu and it really makes me mad!"

"What do you mean? I mean -- why do you think that might be?" Stelle asks, genuinely curious. "Socialite Muminofrah certainly has her circles, but don't let that intimidate you. You've been making a name for yourself lately!" She puts her index finger to the side of her cheek in thought.

As far as Mummy's interest in Zilchus goes though, I wonder if any of that goes beyond physical interest. Zilchus himself seemed more interested in drink and less so in rubbing elbows with the Nobility.

Nidhi wrote:
"with Ben courting Flo, she just doesn’t have as much time to spend with me. And Zilchus is so – so – ignorant! So, I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m hoping you will be that person. My confidant.”

"Zilchus, ignorant? Blind, maybe. Preoccupied, more likely. He went to the River this morning in a manner that suggested to me at least that he feels he owes it and its God a huge debt. He seems very uptight, but maybe it's just all of the imbibing." She squeezes Nidhi's hand. "Yes, of course I can be your confidant, you can be mine."

At Abdur's Stelle looks over some of the Banners the merchant has to offer. She reaches into her haversack and (arduously) pulls out a large coin purse. She hefts it a few times as if gauging its weight, shakes her head and places it back into the haversack.

Not yet.

~~~

Ben wrote:
"I will need part of the morning to buy a specific item, and then I am ready to go."

"Oh? What are you in the market for, Ben -- if you don't mind me asking. Can we help? Take your time. We are here for another day, so you should have plenty of time to find it."

"When you're ready, let's meet up at the Tavern as Nidhi suggests, to celebrate life." She peeks over curious at Zilchus trying to catch his eye -- in part to see if he's interested in going to the Tavern, and in an attempt to gauge his mood since all he appears to want to do is grunt.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party while’s away the day with Nidhi and Stelle getting to know each other, Benedictus shopping for… something, Zilchus waiting to get drunk, and Florence sleeping in rather late indeed. In time though, evening comes and the group gets together again at the Tooth and Hookah, with the proprietor Farhaan serving and catering to your needs.

Feel free to back-fill in your day, but it feels like we’re doing some light shopping and waiting for Nidhi’s bow to be returned before going on to Tephu for more library time… or is Sothis still on the table? You could research the Spire and the Heart in the main stacks as well if you wished.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

The Previous Evening

"Thank you Abdur," Florence smiles happily as she and the merchant reach a deal that's agreeable for all. "Hopefully I'll be able to pay you back sooner rather than later; even with all the research we've been doing lately it's amazing the things these people leave squirreled away in hidden corners."

"Oh and since um, I don't have a key or anything to their room, do you think maybe one of your employees could leave it wrapped in his room tomorrow, after he's up and about? I'd like it to be a surprise," she grins.
________

Next Day

Though she'd fully intended to rise bright and early the next morning along with everyone else when the time comes to rise and shine...Flo simply blinks once or twice in the early dawn light and rolls over, going back to sleep. Bynx doesn't seem to mind the change in schedule either, curling himself around her head on the pillow, looking like a large, furry hat.

When she finally stirs, the sun is already quite high in the sky and there's no hope of breakfast...but lunch, on the other hand, might be in order. As she gets cleaned up and goes about her usual meditations with Bynx, Florence feels a pang of guilt - she'd offered to go shopping with Ben; surely he'd long-since left without her by now.

I guess he decided to just let me sleep. Hopefully he's not too put out with me.

Then she brightens, thinking of Ben hopefully returning later and finding the surprise she'd bought waiting for him in his room. Maybe that would make up for her sleeping in.

By the time she wanders downstairs for a bite to eat she's not surprised in the least to learn that everyone else has already headed out to see to various errands and the like. "Guess we'll have to entertain ourselves for awhile, Bynx," she muses as she idly nibbles on the fruit she'd ordered as her lunch. Then, a strange and random idea comes to her.

"You know what I've not done in ages? Gone swimming! Surely there's some sort of public swimming place here...not the river, don't look at me like that! I've got no intention of being crocodile food today."

And now with a new little fancy to chase, Florence sets out to check out Tephu's hottest swimming spots - if they have any that don't involve risking life and limb to enjoy, that is.
________

Later That Evening

When everyone reconvenes at the Tooth & Hookah later that evening, Florence is quite curious to hear about how everyone's day went. "Hey, did you two have fun watching the crocodiles eat this morning?" she smiles at Nidhi and Stelle.

Seems like they're getting along well. Good deal, maybe that'll take her mind of Cahal for awhile.

"And Ben, I hope you found what you were looking for at the market today," Florence continues. "Um...I'm sorry that I slept in so late but when the time came to get up this morning I still felt so tired for some reason," she apologizes.

"Zilchus...um, I see you fixed your sword," Florence notes, finally coming around to speak to the (possibly inebriated?) warrior. "You'd never know that you even broke it! Sobek does good work, it looks like."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Florence Corvina wrote:
"Zilchus, uhm...I see you fixed your sword.”

Zilchus smiles and nods, a few ales into his night. He puts the sword on the table.

”Good as new. Fixt it all the way through, we did. The Crocs and I. And, you know how sometimes when you fix things, they are sometimes a little bit broken inside? Sometimes you try to fix things, but they remain just a bit broken in little ways?” Zilchus’ eyes flicker to Nidhi, then back to Flo. ”This wasn’t like that. It’s fixt all the way through.”

I tried to fix the poison and damage.

Zilchus’ eyes flicker to Nidhi once again, then back to his drink. And then he downs it and orders another.

* * *

”We should try melting the mask. Take it to the forge and pay them to put the mask in with the slag. I bet that’ll get it destroyed,” Zilchus says with slightly puffy eyes over his morning breakfast. He’s not hungover, but feeling the efforts of last night’s attempt at getting drunk.

”Yeah, we should put it into a forge. Or take it to a volcano! We should ask about local volcanos. That’ll either fix that mask or put it in a place where no one will ever get it. In lava,” Zilchus crunches some toast. ”Molten lava. That’d be the best thing to try, I think.”

Zilchus looks around to see if anyone has a better plan for the day.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Ben does not leave without Florence, and when it becomes clear that she is still sleeping, the scholar decides to stay at the Tooth and Hookah and work on his book. He details the discoveries made by his group with scholarly accuracy, but the book features several breaks from archaeological dissertations and historical disputations in which Benedictus tells the story behind the discoveries as an exciting, action-packed novel.

Memorandum. Ask Nidhi to review these novel passages, she may very well help me make them more exciting.

Eventually, Ben understands Florence is going to miss their date. Although enjoying his break from researching and adventuring, and his love for spare time to devote to writing and reading, the Osirionologist reacts with a bit of sadness.

I wonder when, if ever, will we have another chance to be together, me and her alone, for more than a few minutes. This was a good opportunity.

Ben grumbles and shrugs, closes his book and makes his way to his room, planning to spend the rest of the morning reading a few books he had kept for later for too much time.

***
Upon finding the headband, at first Ben reacts as genuinely as possible: as he was used to do when his father brought him back to Egorian some exotic item from his travels, Ben now smiles, his happiness in the purest of forms. Ben unwraps the gift, and immediately wears the headband, without even caring to identify it.

Wait, what if this one is cursed too?

Ben widens his eyes, removes the headband and analyzes it. Only when he is certain about its magical properties he actually wears it. The scholar rushes to the small mirror he keep in a drawer next to his back and meticulously analyzes his appearance, making all kind of facial expressions he is capable of, varying in tone from the perplexed disappointment of the stern scholar to the joyful laughter of the young adult in love and the genuine smile of happiness for having received a gift.

A gift…last one to make me a gift was…but of course! This has to be a well-orchestrated surprise!

Ben facepalms, feeling incredibly naïve for not having realized that before.

I gave her my headband, so she decided to buy another one for me. Must be it! And now she’s waiting for me in her room, perfectly awake! Wait, what if the headband was here this morning already and I didn’t see it? What if Flo spent the whole day in her room waiting for me to knock on her door to thank her? Oh, this I am such a disaster!

Without realizing that the consequence of his argument is not necessarily linked to the premises, and hence probably false, or probably just feeling a bit less logically-inclined than usual considering the matter at hands, Ben rushes out of his room and knocks on Florence’s door.

Not receiving any answer from within, he takes a deep breath.

I knew it! Now she hates me and won’t open the door!

Ben shakes his head.

No! I will fix this!

Ben rushes downstairs, and starts asking around for Abdur. Once he manages to speak with his patron, Benedictus asks his for the key to Florence’s room. “I know if may sound weird and perhaps even a bit creepy but trust me, my friend, it is for a good reason!

Regardless of the answer, (since I don’t want to make this longer and halt the group), in that moment Florence comes downstairs. As soon as he sees her, Ben rushes to her and shows his new headband with pride.

Do you have anything to do with this?,” asks Ben, with the gentle and excited smile of a child. “I love it! Thanks! And sorry, I was so stupid not to realize you were waiting for me to knock on your door throughout the day! Or maybe…” asks Ben, with an ironic smile, “you were just sleeping?

Ben breaks into a genuine laughter, suddenly realizing his naivety thanks to Florence’s sleepy eyes.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"Zilchus, ignorant? Blind, maybe. Preoccupied, more likely. He went to the River this morning in a manner that suggested to me at least that he feels he owes it and its God a huge debt. He seems very uptight, but maybe it's just all of the imbibing." She squeezes Nidhi's hand. "Yes, of course I can be your confidant, you can be mine."

"He said some pretty ignorant things in the tombs and during the undead uprising." Nidhi seems unconvinced. "He does seem to be drinking more, but maybe that's because alcohol wasn't as accessible in the tombs... you sure you two haven't met before?"

Nidhi flashes one of her bardic smiles, "they'll sing songs of our friendship for eons to come!" Nidhi slips her arm around Stelle's a steps a little closer, enjoying the intimate space (and Stelle's muscles) as they walk back to the Tooth and Hookah.

Florence Corvina wrote:
When everyone reconvenes at the Tooth & Hookah later that evening, Florence is quite curious to hear about how everyone's day went. "Hey, did you two have fun watching the crocodiles eat this morning?" she smiles at Nidhi and Stelle.

Nidhi's eyes light up, "of course! Great company and subjects to observe - especially since it's so close to the church. You know, if a crocodile loses a tooth, another one will grow in its place a month later." Nidhi nods, stroking her chin, "although, they don't chew their food, do they Stelle? They just rip their prey into chunks and swallow it whole... I guess that's why all of their teeth are on the outside of their mouth." Nidhi looks thoughtful.

Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
"Sometimes you try to fix things, but they remain just a bit broken in little ways?” Zilchus’ eyes flicker to Nidhi, then back to Flo. "This wasn’t like that. It’s fixt all the way through.”

Nidhi tilts her head, "that's a relief. We need you and your blade." The news relieves Nidhi from any guilt she may have felt about damaging his weapon on the mask. Nidhi turns her head away from Zilchus as she compliments him, "your falchion is like a crocodile's mouth, isn't it? Indestructible as long as the crocodile is alive." Nidhi continues to look away from Zilchus, a mixture of emotions swirling around in the pit of her stomach: relief, trust, annoyance, jealousy.

Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
”Yeah, we should put it into a forge. Or take it to a volcano! We should ask about local volcanos. That’ll either fix that mask or put it in a place where no one will ever get it. In lava,” Zilchus crunches some toast. ”Molten lava. That’d be the best thing to try, I think.”

Nidhi turns back to her companions, "someone would find it in lava. Haven't you ever heard the tale of the Broadsword in Stone? It's a classic tale." Nidhi begins to tell the tale: "An orphan comes along and pulls an ancient sword from a hunk of rock like it was a knife in hot butter. But, you see, the orphan didn't want the sword for himself. He wanted to gift it to his cruel, older brother who aspired to be a king's knight. While helping his brother train, the two met a wizard named Malakai. Malakai promises the orphan that he's destined for greatness and that the sword is proof." Nidhi places both her palms flat on the table, "his older brother feels spiteful - tricked - after all, he'd been the one training with the sword for months. So he tries to kill his little brother in cold blood! Unfortunate for him, the orphan had been sleeping with the sword." Nidhi takes her hands off the table. "With his only living relative dead, the orphan indeed became someone great. With the sword he became the ruler of his kingdom for nearly a century." Nidhi lifts a hand upwards, shrugging "I'm positive that story really happened and if it happens to the mask we'd be to blame."

"I don't know about the furnace idea. What if we break the blacksmith's kiln? I don't want to replace that. I have big plans for my gold!" Wait for me, flying carpet. I'll have you one day.

Nidhi turns to Florence, "how long did you sleep? Flo, the best parts of the day are early morning and dinner. Naps are best had at lunchtime when the sun is at it's highest point." Nidhi points to the ceiling like it's obvious. I should have taken Florence with us. They're the most uninteresting love birds ever. A weird expression crosses Nidhi's face as she thinks: unless I've imagined everything?! ...No, there is something going on.


Female Halfling Cavalier/16
Nidhi wrote:
"He said some pretty ignorant things in the tombs and during the undead uprising." Nidhi seems unconvinced. "He does seem to be drinking more, but maybe that's because alcohol wasn't as accessible in the tombs... you sure you two haven't met before?"

Stelle stops in her tracks, lost in thought. "I honestly don't remember him. It's possible he stopped in the bar I was tending, but it's more likely he just reminds me of one of my customers."

~~~

Nidhi wrote:
"although, they don't chew their food, do they Stelle? They just rip their prey into chunks and swallow it whole... I guess that's why all of their teeth are on the outside of their mouth."

Stelle nods politely then offers: "On the other hand, you can easily hold their mouths shut, for the muscles they use to open their mouths aren't very strong."

~~~

Zilchus wrote:
"Sometimes you try to fix things, but they remain just a bit broken in little ways?”Zilchus’ eyes flicker to Nidhi, then back to Flo. "This wasn’t like that. It’s fixt all the way through.”

Wait, what? What does that mean? Stelle looks at Flo, then back to Zilchus.

"Wait, what? What do you mean, Zilchus?" She looks at Nidhi with concern, then back to Flo.

~~~

Zilchus wrote:
”Molten lava. That’d be the best thing to try, I think.”

Stelle stares at Zilchus in incredulity. "If you wanted it badly enough, you would figure out a way to retrieve it from lava."

~~~

Nidhi wrote:
"your falchion is like a crocodile's mouth, isn't it? Indestructible as long as the crocodile is alive."

"Oh, Nidhi, indestructible maybe -- but as I said not -- " Stelle's eyes dart to the side as she listens to what she's about to say, unstoppable... "Oh -- nevermind. I'm glad you were able to fix your weapon, Zilchus. Here -- " she says, pulling the Wand of Cure Light Wounds out of the Haversack. "Since you know how to use this, I think you should carry it when we head to the Vault of Hidden Wisdom."


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Ben has lunch with the rest of the group. His mood is good, and the scholar asks his friends what they have been doing throughout the morning and offers a quick summary of his activities too, focusing on the writing of the book. He reads aloud his description of Stelle in order to get the impressions of the group, but as it turns out, Ben’s description is wildly inaccurate. The scholar reacts laughing along the rest of the group, but in a moment of seriousness he looks in the halfling’s eye and says: “this was deliberate, but the way in which I have treated you since we’ve met might not be, due to the cursed headband. Please, let me make up for that. I would like to go for a stroll this afternoon. Would you like to join me?” Ben also turns to the others. “You are welcome too, of course!

***

When lunch is over, Ben stretches and lets out a sigh. He stands up, but before going away he leans toward Nidhi. “Mind to follow me?,” he asks, both absentmindedly and naively, “I’ve got something to show you!” Ben’s enthusiasm belies the double meaning of his words. A double meaning he realizes when it’s too late, and the whole group is probably already looking at him strangely or laughing.

Ben scratches the back of his neck and smiles. “A book! I want to show her a book! Come on guys, it’s me, do you really think I could ever be so direct? About books perhaps, but as for the rest…Well, you know me!

If Nidhi follows him, Ben shows her his book with pride. She is the first to see it. “I’ve been writing it since we first met in Wati, and I’m planning to publish it when our adventures will be over, or when it reaches such dimensions that it must be published as part 1 of a larger collection,” explains the scholar, with the same tone of a parent speaking about his son. “Now, as you can see, there are parts of the book devoted to Osirionology, with archaeological analyses and historical discussion, but there are also sections in which I tell our stories as a novel of adventure.” Ben looks into Nidhi’s eyes, hoping to glance a positive reaction. “I thought perhaps you could help me make those adventuring parts more exciting to read. My style is a bit too technical, and I fear sometimes not everything is entirely comprehensible to the reader. Most of all, I need you to breathe life into the characters, that is, in our counterparts, who bears our names and features, but whose skills needs to be a little exaggerated in order to become interesting. Think you can help me?

After this conversation, and regardless of its outcome, Benedictus walks to the drawer next to his bed and reaches for a metal mirror within. The small mirror is entirely made in silver, and it is embossed with floral patterns. He then hands it out to Nidhi. “I bought it today from Abdur, I thought you would have liked it. It’s a gift,” explains Mr. Unnecessary Explanations, “but this is not for your help with the book. It is for being part of my story, for breathing life into our lives every day with the enthusiasm of a child, and for believing in me back there, in the library, and of course, for having realized about the cursed headband. I’m sorry I didn’t listen, I just wasn’t able to control me. I wanted it. But now it’s over.

Ben lets out a sigh of relief and opens the door of his room. “Shall we join the others? I’ve invited Stelle for a stroll today, are you going to join us?


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party enjoys an afternoon lazily walking Wati in the hot sun - getting to know each other a little better. There’s some discussion as to what to do with the mask, though the group seems less inclined to destroy it as Zilchus. In time though, evening comes and the group gets together again at the Tooth and Hookah, with the proprietor Farhaan serving and catering to your needs.

Feel free to continue to detail your day, but it feels like we’re getting a little lost and I’d like to get us back on track. Over supper, try and focus a little on what you plan to do tomorrow. Are you going back to Tephu and the library, and if so, what shall you research? The mask and the forgotten pharaoh, or Sothis and your leads there?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
“Mind to follow me?,” he asks, both absentmindedly and naively, “I’ve got something to show you!” Ben’s enthusiasm belies the double meaning of his words. A double meaning he realizes when it’s too late, and the whole group is probably already looking at him strangely or laughing.

Nidhi smiles and winks, “As long as Florence doesn’t mind. ...Although, I doubt your arms are thick enough to tempt me.”

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
Ben scratches the back of his neck and smiles. “A book! I want to show her a book! Come on guys, it’s me, do you really think I could ever be so direct? About books perhaps, but as for the rest…Well, you know me!”

Nidhi groans, “of course it’s a book.” Nidhi seems uninterested until Ben explains it’s a book of their adventures. Well if I’m in it, it’s got to be interesting. “Of course I’ll help, Ben. I don’t want your readers to think I’m a stuffy woman who never has any fun.”

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
Ben lets out a sigh of relief and opens the door of his room. “Shall we join the others? I’ve invited Stelle for a stroll today, are you going to join us?”

“I would never turn down the opportunity to stroll the streets of Wati. It is - was - my morning routine before,” Nidhi waves her hand around, “this. The lottery.” Nidhi narrows her eyes, “but Ben, why are you asking Stelle out on a walk? Why not Flo? Florence is a desirable woman, Ben. You’d better be careful or some muscular arena fighter might steal her away. Mmmh.” Nidhi is pulled inwards: Two tall, muscular amazons wrestle under the desert heat. Beads of sweat roll down their faces, drip to their collarbones, and nestle between lush rolling hills framed by taut arms. Nidhi’s eyes focus as she returns to reality, “Ben? Wait for me, Ben! I’m joining in on the walk!”

~*~*~*~*~

The day has been a much-needed day off for Nidhi. She’s in a great mood and differs to what the others want to do tomorrow. "If you want to go back and do more research, I'll help you Ben," Nidhi offers a friendly smile.

Nidhi (obviously) performs in the evening, enjoying the attention and applause. Nidhi sits on a tavern table, one leg crossed over the other and enjoying the effects of drinking half her ale. She lifts her mug in time with her singing, swaying her head side to side. She sings a song she heard from another bard years ago, changing the lyrics to suit her own style:

Perform (song): 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (11) + 18 = 29

“We got winners, we got losers,
Hookah smokers and boozers,
We got nobles, we got farmers,
An’ we’ve got thirsty travelers,
And the guards have muscle like you’ve never seen,
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I love this tavern.
We got diviners, we got swashbucklers,
Broken hearted fools and suckers.
We’ve got bards, we got witches,
Early birds and all nighters,
And the warriors talk about their battle scars.
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I love this tavern.”

“I love this tavern,
It’s my kind of place,
Just walking through the front door,
Puts a big smile on my face.
It’s not too far, come as you are.
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I love this tavern.”

“I’ve seen chainmail, we’ve got plate armor,
Long red robes and corsets.
We’ve got lovers, lots of lookers,
I’ve even seen escorts and magic Mikes,
And drink our ale from any glass that’s empty,
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I love this tavern, y’all know it!”

“Sing it with me!” Nidhi lifts her arm not holding the drink into the air and starts swaying that too.

“I like my town (I like my town)
I love my companions, (I love my companions)
I like to go into the Necropolis, (I like to go into the Necropolis)
Slay an undead now and then (Slay an undead now and then)”

“But I love this tavern,
It’s my kind of place,
Just singing to my heart’s content,
Puts a big smile on my face,
No silver charged, listen as you are,
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I love this tavern
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I just love the Tooth and Hookah.”

Nidhi bows, takes one last slip of her drink, and heads to bed at a reasonable time. Her hips sway as she hums the song all the way to her shared room with Florence and Stelle. Nidhi still sleeps holding the mask in her arms.


Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"Wait, what? What do you mean, Zilchus?" She looks at Nidhi with concern, then back to Flo.

Zilchus looks taken aback. "Well, you know...sometimes when something is broken, and you try to fix it, it's never quite as strong as it was when it was new? That's all," Zilchus says, looking at where the assassin's blade pierced Nidhi, then back to his drink. He drinks. "Sometimes things are just broken."

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"If you wanted it badly enough, you would figure out a way to retrieve it from lava."

"Yeah, obviously, but how? And how would anyone know what we done and where we put it. Also, we should see if the lava melts the mask first...that's the key thing. Is there any lava around here at all?" Zilchus takes another long swig of his ale, ordering another. "Besides, I'm just an idea man. You guys want to keep researching and learning more when I think a bold plan of action is needed. Lava. We need lava." Zilchus' liquoring is really getting good...his words and ideas are really the best. He has the best words and thoughts when he's in this state. No doubt.

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
...she says, pulling the Wand of Cure Light Wounds out of the Haversack...

Zilchus solemnly and blurrily eyed acknowledges the wand and knows exactly how important it is. He takes the wand, then another drink and begins to enjoy the rest of the evening.

Within about 5 minutes, Zilchus has both misplaced and forgotten all about the wand. It's probably on the bar, he doesn't know...and just enjoys the company and the song and looking at women's....uh, teeth.


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Wow, lots of fun rabbit trailing here - I'm a little lost as to what's happening when, exactly! Also lol Nidhi, I recognize the song.
________

Zilchus wrote:
"And, you know how sometimes when you fix things, they are sometimes a little bit broken inside? Sometimes you try to fix things, but they remain just a bit broken in little ways?" Zilchus’ eyes flicker to Nidhi, then back to Flo. "This wasn’t like that. It’s fixt all the way through."

Florence pauses, feeling as though there's an underlying subtext to her friend's statement but she's not quite sure if she should let it lie or delve deeper. "Yeah...like gluing a vase back together. You end up fixing it but you can still see the cracks where it was broken - and they'll always be there, no matter how you try to cover them up or mend them," she nods slowly. "I'm glad your sword isn't like that."

But are you? I can fix sickness and you and your Crocodile can fix swords but I don't know if anyone can really fix broken people.

********

During the rest of their meal, Florence chats away, offering her own two copper on the matter of the mask. "Lava? We need a...a volcano for that, don't we? Are there any volcanoes in Osirion? Seems unlikely...we'd probably have to go deep into the Mwangi Expanse or somewhere to find a proper volcano," she muses. When Nidhi shares the tale about the boy and the sword, she shakes her head. "But wait...why tell a story about something good that happened to someone that found a strange artifact? Wouldn't the point make more sense if he'd...I don't know, been a tyrant king or something? You make it sound like the kid turned out to be a good king."

A bit later when Ben invites Nidhi to come and see something special, Flo can't help but laugh as Ben over-explains the situation. "Ben, Ben, it's okay! I don't think you're Nidhi's type," she grins. "Go have your secret meeting, I'm not going anywhere."

Even laterer, after Ben and Nidhi have their mini-meeting and Ben invites everyone for a walk, Flo is happy to join them. "A good leg-stretch after a proper meal sounds like a fine idea - otherwise I'll just end up napping and then I won't be able to sleep tonight."

At some point during their stroll, Flo does take the opportunity to move a bit closer to Ben, whispering, "I see you found your present," with a sly smile.
________

Later, At Supper

Although she's enjoyed having a day or two of downtime, Florence knows that they can't lounge about forever and so once everyone is gathered again for dinner, she decides to broach the subject of what to do next.

"So...we've done what we came to Wati to do and everyone seems well again," Flo begins. "We've got three options: go to Sothis, go back to Tephu and do some more research, or...try to find a volcano somewhere," she chuckles. "Sothis and hunting for volcanoes would take a lot of travel time. I think we'd be better off making sure we find every bit of information we can from the Tephu's libraries before we decide to start traipsing all over Osirion."


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Florence Corvina wrote:
"You make it sound like the kid turned out to be a good king."

"Oh, he was a good king, Flo," Nidhi states matter-of-fact. "So maybe that wasn't a good example," Nidhi concedes.


So confuzzled about where and when Zilchus is in time. But no matter, just going to assume this is some sort of 80's training montage unhinged from time...pieces and vignettes unhitched to a timeline that will will be woven into a scene that makes sense.

But I think this dinner is a different dinner than last night's.

Florence Corvina wrote:
"We've got three options: go to Sothis, go back to Tephu and do some more research, or...try to find a volcano somewhere. Sothis and hunting for volcanoes would take a lot of travel time. I think we'd be better off making sure we find every bit of information we can from the Tephu's libraries before we decide to start traipsing all over Osirion."

Zilchus' eyes boggle at the mention of volcano. He's sober at dinner, not yet begun his bored, nighttime drinking.

"Volcano? That's a good idea. Who thought of that? I was sorta thinking about suggesting that," Zilchus asks. Zilchus looks around to see who thought of such a good idea to test melting the Mask.


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

I think most of the action has taken place on this second day in Wati; everyone kinda split up to do their own thing for most of the morning, maybe met back up for lunch, then went to do some more stuff (like Ben's stroll around town) after and now it's evening and time for dinner again :)
________

"Um...your idea?" Florence replies with a bemused look. "Who else would look at a situation and say, 'Oh yes, this situation obviously needs more lava' but you?"


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Ben uses the stroll as a means to get to better know Stelle. He tells her about his personal story, in particular of his times as a professor in Egorian, and then steers the conversation on the halfling, asking some questions about her and her past.

I am sorry not to have the chance to roleplay this, but doing it in a single post would not do justice to the situation. At the same time, I realize the need to push the story a bit forward, so I will have to keep this general.

"Yes, I did," replies Ben to Florence with a thankful smile. "Are you behind it?" he asks, his eyes betraying his certainty about the answer.

***

"I say we go to Tephu, and check the Vault of Hidden Wisdom," he proposes to the others during the stroll. "There was that priest, Khnenti. We know he discovered a few potentially interesting things about the Sky Pharaoh. We should investigate. Oh, and I am ready to take back my role of coordinator of the research, if you guys need."


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Adventurers About Town:

During their stroll, Florence listens quietly as Ben shares a little about his past with Stelle. It seemed that with the cursed headband gone, much of his old curiosity and openness had returned, something she was quite thankful for.

When Ben steers the chatter towards Stelle herself, Florence nods and gives the halfling an encouraging smile. "This is as good a time as any to ask us any questions you might have too. Once we get back to business we'll not have a lot of time to just...relax like this and talk."

********

"How'd you guess?" Florence smiles. "You can't squirm your way out of me repaying your kindness, you know, so you'd better keep that headband and enjoy it!"

"Honestly, I'm ready to hand the reigns back over to you," Flo remarks, looking rather relieved. "It was nice to know that I can do it if I have to but it's not really something I enjoy that much. Working alone is one thing but when I'm working with others I'd rather be directed than do the directing myself."

"Nidhi, Stelle, what do you think?" Flo asks, turning to look at the two women. "Stelle, I know you might not feel like it's your place to say anything one way or another but you're part of the team now so you should get a say too."


Female Halfling Cavalier/16

Stelle would never have considered giving the Wand to a drunken Zilchus, so consider the Wand still in Stelle's possession.

Florence wrote:
"Yeah...like gluing a vase back together. You end up fixing it but you can still see the cracks where it was broken - and they'll always be there, no matter how you try to cover them up or mend them."

"Yah, O.K., I get that, I'm just hoping that Nidhi isn't still poisoned after Zilchus's attempt to 'fix' her. Nidhi, do you feel O.K.?"

~~~

Stelle laughs along with the others at Ben's wildly inaccurate description of her.

Ben wrote:
"I would like to go for a stroll this afternoon. Would you like to join me?”

"Yes, I think that would be very nice."

Regarding roleplay, understood.

A Brief History of Sopdet-Ka 'Stelle' Fairbairn:

She stands about 2' 9 6" tall, has vivid blue eyes and platinum hair, she is 42 years old. Her mother died in childbirth, and she was raised by her Grandmother, Father and Uncle, who is a animal trainer in the camel/canine division in the Prince's army.

Born to ride, she was attracted to the prospects of becoming a Cavalier. Independent, strong and fearless, she only wants to defend Tephu and Wati, her homeland.

Once the tone is decided, a proper bio will be written.

~~~

Zilchus wrote:
"Besides, I'm just an idea man. You guys want to keep researching and learning more when I think a bold plan of action is needed. Lava. We need lava."

Stelle turns to Zilchus. "Does drinking help you think?"

Florence:
Stelle pulls you aside at one point between rounds. "Do you know how to use wands?" If Florence does, Stelle will give her the Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

Florence wrote:
"Nidhi, Stelle, what do you think? Stelle, I know you might not feel like it's your place to say anything one way or another but you're part of the team now so you should get a say too."

"Oh, why... thank you! I think you're right -- hunting for volcanism," she rolls her eyes, "or traveling to Sothis will take too much travel time, and I do know how to find the entrance to the Vault of Hidden Wisdom, so we won't have to wait until midsummer. Let's find out what we can discover there, and maybe it'll save us a trip."


Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
Stelle would never have considered giving the Wand to a drunken Zilchus, so consider the Wand still in Stelle's possession.

Oh yeah, that's a much better plan. But the bartender at the Hookah is plenty annoyed at losing his swizzle stick, the perfect drink mixer that he found. Yeah, get it to him another time. :)

* * *

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Um...your idea?" Florence replies with a bemused look. "Who else would look at a situation and say, 'Oh yes, this situation obviously needs more lava' but you?"

"Oh yeah, of course," Zilchus replies, trying to cover his amnesia. "Oh, I just thought someone else had the same great idea."

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
Stelle turns to Zilchus. "Does drinking help you think?"

Zilchus, as yet undrunken *this* night, shrugs. "It doesn't help me not think. Just something to do to have fun and blow off some steam. I dunno. Drinking is what me and my friends do." Zilchus doesn't really have any friends unless he's drinking, but then everyone seems like a friend so it makes sense to him.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
Zilchus looks taken aback. "Well, you know...sometimes when something is broken, and you try to fix it, it's never quite as strong as it was when it was new? That's all," Zilchus says, looking at where the assassin's blade pierced Nidhi, then back to his drink. He drinks. "Sometimes things are just broken."
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"Yah, O.K., I get that, I'm just hoping that Nidhi isn't still poisoned after Zilchus's attempt to 'fix' her. Nidhi, do you feel O.K.?"

Nidhi doesn't notice Zilchus' gazing at where the assassin's blade pierced her. Nidhi tilts her head, speaking to Stelle: "I think so." The corner of Nidhi's mouth lifts into a smile, "If I suddenly faint, I know I'll be in capable hands." Nidhi then looks over at Zilchus, "Right, Zilchus? You'd protect me. All of us." Nidhi doesn't expect an answer because she already trusts Zilchus with her life. Nidhi scratches her leg. ...Perhaps more than the other party members, Nidhi considers. If only Muminofrah didn't favor him, maybe he wouldn't be so annoying.

Zilchus frustrates Nidhi on a whole new level - more than anyone else has ever frustrated her before - but she isn't ready to confront her mixed emotions of Muminofrah and Zilchus. A joke, Nidhi thinks bitterly, that got out of hand and DID NOT go my way. Nidhi remembers the sting of rejection and clinches her fist under the table. She hasn't faced much rejection until now. Perhaps the increased interaction with nobles leaves her more susceptible to failure.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Honestly, I'm ready to hand the reigns back over to you," Flo remarks, looking rather relieved. "It was nice to know that I can do it if I have to but it's not really something I enjoy that much. Working alone is one thing but when I'm working with others I'd rather be directed than do the directing myself."
Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"I say we go to Tephu, and check the Vault of Hidden Wisdom," he proposes to the others during the stroll. "There was that priest, Khnenti. We know he discovered a few potentially interesting things about the Sky Pharaoh. We should investigate. Oh, and I am ready to take back my role of coordinator of the research, if you guys need."
Florence Corvina wrote:
"Nidhi, Stelle, what do you think?" Flo asks, turning to look at the two women. "Stelle, I know you might not feel like it's your place to say anything one way or another but you're part of the team now so you should get a say too."
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"Oh, why... thank you! I think you're right -- hunting for volcanism," she rolls her eyes, "or traveling to Sothis will take too much travel time, and I do know how to find the entrance to the Vault of Hidden Wisdom, so we won't have to wait until midsummer. Let's find out what we can discover there, and maybe it'll save us a trip."

Nidhi wordlessly gazes from companion to companion as they converse. So we're not hitting the open road yet? Nidhi tisks, "well, I guess. If you're all are set on researching." Ben just approached me about his book. I can't ruin it for him now. Nidhi purses her lips and looks at the ceiling, Stelle seems pretty smart and with Ben back to normal it should go faster.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
Stelle turns to Zilchus. "Does drinking help you think?"
Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
"It doesn't help me not think. Just something to do to have fun and blow off some steam. I dunno. Drinking is what me and my friends do."

"What kind of friends did you hang out with before winning the lottery? Do they have falchions like you do?" Who does Zilchus hang out with? Nidhi narrows her eyes like she's trying to think and drums her slender fingers on the table: "Zilchus, what did you do before the lottery? Were you a Paladin of Sobek?" Nidhi looks at Zilchus' breastplate for an insignia. If she doesn't see one, she suggests: "you should get a crocodile put on your armor." The Wati native pauses, "an albino one. They're the most appealing."


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Stelle:

Florence is a little slow to answer Stelle's question but then her eyes light up in understanding when she sees that Stelle holds a healing wand. "Oh! Yes, yes I can. I'm not really a...a mage like Ben is but I'm not a cleric, either. Something in-between, I guess you'd say. But so far I've been able to use healing wands just fine so I'll be happy to hold it for you," she agrees.

Remind me, how many charges is it currently at?

Nidhi wrote:
"Well, I guess. If you're all are set on researching."

"Hey, I'm sure that with Stelle's help and Ben back to his old self we'll plow through it a lot faster now," Flo responds, trying to reassure her impatient young friend. "Besides, after we're done with the research it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we do end up having to do some traveling. Tephu holds a lot of clues but I don't think the final answer to any of it actually lies there in the city."

Nidhi wrote:
"you should get a crocodile put on your armor."

"That's actually not a bad idea, if you don't already have one," Flo agrees, casually sipping on a drink of her own. "It'd make you stand out - if you care anything about standing out, I mean."


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party has a pleasant evening chatting and planning. As evening drifts into night, one by one they retire to their respective rooms and sleep until the morning sun rises over the sleepy town of Wati. It is Wealday, Erastus 2, 4714.

You gather your things and make your way down to the docs (after a quick trip to Abdur's to pick up Nidhi's newly magiced bow), where the morning ferry, ever punctual, carries you back to Tephu. The mad rush of the merchants at the docs is quite different from Wati and gives Tephu an energy not felt in the more northern town.

You make your way to Wadjet's walk as Stelle guides you to where she found the secret door prior to your acquaintance.

It's a simple smooth wall in an otherwise dark alley. Two buildings make a sort of notch, in which a shadow might fall on a midsummers morning from the rising sun to make a point.

When you're ready, you may open the otherwise very well hidden door.

(new map up)


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi moves up and examines the panel, looking for a trap. And this leads us to another library? Nidhi sighs, tilting her head to one side.

Perception (door): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32

If she finds a trap, she alerts her party members before attempting to disable it using her tool kit. "I'm going to try to open it. Step back if you wish."

Disable Device (door): 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 12 + 2 = 18


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Nidhi approaches the wall with caution, and for all her skill, she only barely notices the thin outline of the door - and no traps.

She heaves open the thick and heavy secret door to reveal a pitch black room. The outside light illuminates two deep alcoves open on either side of this thickly dusted chamber. A small, battered bronze chest sits on the floor at the far end of the room. Beyond the chest, a passage continues to the south into the inky blackness.

Survival (tracking) DC 25:
Under the dust, and hard to spot, there is an extremely old blood trail leading up to the chest, where either the poor victim was healed, or perhaps eaten, for there is no further trail.
- - -


GM Euan wrote:
The party has a pleasant evening chatting and planning.

Uh huh...we'll see about that. Not sure Zilchus thought it was a pleasant night until the ale started to flow.

* * *

Zilchus is mostly alive and awake in the morning, enough to accompany the party to the library, but he knows he's going to have some issues with research today: it's just boring and he's been bored for a while. It's not a good routine for Zilchus.

He seems very aloof at breakfast, not looking at Nidhi, and grunting most of his morning hellos and answers to questions.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23 Survival

Once inside the library, Zilchus takes his survival more seriously, attaching his weapon cord to hand and checking things for traps.

1d20 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20 Perception - door
1d20 + 18 ⇒ (18) + 18 = 36 Perception - chest

He examines things carefully before moving in on them. Let stands near the passageway after his examination of the chest, letting others see what's inside.


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Once Nidhi manages to get the door open to this new library, Florence conjures four small lights and sends them inside to provide some light for everyone. She peers curiously into the room once Zilchus heads inside, frowning at the sight of the chest just sitting in the middle of the room.

"That's really strange, to just have or leave a chest sitting right there in the open," she whispers. "Let's be really careful."

Assuming nothing comes out to pounce on Zilchus as he heads inside, Florence waits for Stelle and Annie to head inside next and then follows them, looking around cautiously.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25
________

Daily Spells:

4th - Blessing of Fervor, Dimension Door, Greater False Life
3rd - Dispel Magic, Heroism, Lightning Bolt, Prayer
2nd - Aid, Glitterdust x2, See Invisibility
1st - Bless, Enlarge Person, Ill Omen, Shadow Trap, Snowball, Unbreakable Heart

Cantrips - Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

As Zilchus heads into the room, nothing but the dust is stirred by his passage. However, when he nearly reaches the far wall, almost close enough to touch it - the floor gives way, plunging him into darkness some 50' below!

Zilchus:
Assuming no one has feather fall, you hit the spikes taking falling: 5d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 6, 2, 2) = 16 and then, attacks: 1d4 ⇒ 2 from the spikes.

spike attack: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30 damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
spike attack: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32 damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

If they do have feather fall, you still get hit by the spikes, but only for d6 instead of d6+5 so your damage would be 7.
- - -

You hear a crunching sound as Zilchus hits the bottom or at least the spikes near the bottom...

The whole floor remains open from nearly the door to the chest.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Invigorated by the travel, Benedictus allows his more examining-inclined companions to do most of the inital work in the hidden library. He watches as Nidhi eaves open the thick and heavy secret door to reveal a pitch black room beyond, rubbing his hands together in excitement.

Back to researching! Oh guys, I’m so excited!,” he says to no one in particular as he eagerly peers into the room over Nidhi’s shoulders.

Resisting his urge to enter, Ben lets Zilchus go in first, and then sends Ptolomy inside. The faerie dragon flutters behind Zilchus, approximately 15 feet from the ground. Then Ben himself steps inside while pronouncing a few, quick arcane words and causing a group of four glowing spheres of light to appear above his head and pierce the dim-light in which the room is cast into. When the scholar raises his head though, he sees Zilchus plunging into the darkness.

Oh gods, Zilchus!

Ben takes another worried step forward, moving his lights in the center of the room and then slowly lowering them halfway through the pit.

Are you alright?,” asks Ben as his eyes tries to get an answer to that question before it is spoken.

Guys! Guys! Do you have some rope? Zilchus has…fallen into a pit. Quick!

Ben takes the rope from whoever offers it and lowers it into the pit, or otherwise assists the one who is performing the task.

Take the rope!

Once Zilchus has been pulled up, Ben tries to check his conditions, although he’s not particularly good at it.

Heal check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Where those spikes poisoned?,” he asks to Florence, waiting for her response.

Realizing that other will tend to Zilchus’s wounds better than him, Benedictus casts detect magic as he closes his eyes and puts his hands perpendicularly to his body.

How tall is the ceiling here?

Knowledge (dungeoneering) to see if Ben knows about the existence of animating treasure chests of Golarion...: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi does not have Survival so she’s ignorant to whatever is in the area.
Seeing that the room is pitch black, Nidhi puts away her tool to pull out her Everburning Torch. For dramatic effect, Nidhi pulls her hood over her head. “ooOOooOOOooo! Spooky! Do you all think this is where ghosts come to read? You know – because it’s dark.” Nidhi laughs, throwing back her head. Her hood falls back in the process. Her laughing stills, I really hope it’s not dark like this in the entire place. Nidhi remembers the tombs and how suffocating they felt.

Nidhi watches as Zilchus bravely goes in first. Who you gonna call? Zil-chus! No, that doesn’t flow… As Zilchus’ form plummets downwards, a scream erupts in Nidhi’s ears. It takes her a moment that it’s her own scream. She has trouble remembering how to close her own mouth. She uses her hand to close her jaw.

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
“Guys! Guys! Do you have some rope? Zilchus has…fallen into a pit. Quick!”

Nidhi fumbles with the straps on her makeshift pack and pulls out her coil of rope, offering it shakily to Ben. “We- we should tie the rope to something!” Nidhi looks around for something sturdy, her heart pounding wildly in her chest. The longer it takes, the more Nidhi's eyes glisten with wetness (but she doesn't cry.)

Perception (place to tie off rope): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

The task calms Nidhi down enough to form a rough plan if the party should expect the worse. “if anyone is climbing down there, it should be me. I owe Zilchus a life debt,” Nidhi adds diplomatically. Nidhi leans over the pit, cutting her hands: “Zilchus! Zilchus, are you conscious? We’re coming to help you!”

If Zilchus is unconscious or too injured to climb:
Nidhi insists that she should be the one to climb down on account of her life debt to Zilchus, “It’s my fate to repay a life debt. It’s not something I ignore.” After securing the rope, Nidhi peers down the hole for any traps, then slowly starts climbing down with the help of the rope.
Perception (traps on pit walls): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Climb (rope): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Yes, a life debt. That’s why I’m crawling down this dark creepy hole to help my friend. Gods, he’d better be alive. I can’t carry him up.

Nidhi clasps onto the rope, cautiously feeling around for the floor with her foot. Her temporary cloak lacks the outer pockets so her decent was mostly in darkness. Nidhi carefully places her feet on the floor and reaches into one of the inside pockets of her cloak for the Everburning Torch. She peers around with the light, taking in the situation. Nidhi places a warm hand, tender with rope burn, on Zilchus’ neck and channels a healing spell.

Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (1, 6) + 8 = 15

If Zilchus is healthy enough – or too stubborn - and climbs up himself:
“Hey, are you sure? Be careful.” Nidhi paces the length of the pit’s opening with one hand on her hand and the other holding her torch. He’s like a big – like a – beast, Nidhi thinks in wonder as she paces and worries. He can’t die. We’re not done yet. What if those planes-jumping mutant crocodiles come back?

Nidhi continues to pace until Zilchus makes it to the top. She passes on a heal as he’s placing a knee on the cool surface of the hall.

Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 8 ⇒ (7, 3) + 8 = 18

Nidhi steps away as quickly as she touched her companion to pass along a heal. “That,” she states, trying to sounds normal “was unexpected.”


"So...as I was saying...this room is completely saf--****BOOOM****" Zilchus doesn't quite get the last words out of his mouth as he ground goes out from under his feet.

Zilchus whomps with huge impact, taking more than a few seconds to collect himself, then a few more to assess the damage. It isn't pretty. Two spikes pierced his legs and his chest and arms were thumped pretty good.

He is slow to roll over, even slower to his feet. Ow. -33 hp.

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
Oh gods, Zilchus! Are you alright?

Zilchus takes a moment before responding.

"Don't worry, my face broke my fall. I'll live," Zilchus casts Light so he can see, then digs around for the wand of CMW. F!&!ing libraries. Why can't they be safe?

Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
“We- we should tie the rope to something!”

Yeah! Tie it to Nidhi and I'll drag her to me! Zilchus offers a smirk to himself that no one else can see.

He touches himself with the wand a few times while waiting for the rope to be deployed.

"I should be fine. Mostly. Angry. Ow."

2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 7) + 3 = 16 CMW
2d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 6) + 3 = 17 CMW

He looks around the pit while awaiting extraction. 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (13) + 18 = 31 Perception

When the rope comes, he will climb out. Take 10 to climb: 15.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

As multiple lights are poured into the pit, Zilchus can see a second victim down there with him. One with a little less luck than he, pierced by four spikes and dead for some time (decades perhaps).


Zilchus rolls over the body and examine it closely. Seems like most of the gear is down among the spikes.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

On the dead and mangled body in the pit you find a scroll of dimension door (700), scroll of heal (1650), scrolls of invisibility (150ea)(x2), +3 shadow studded leather (12,925), +1 shock rapier (8,320), amulet of natural armor +1 (2,000), bag of holding (type II) (5,000), belt of incredible dexterity +2 (4,000), hat of disguise (1,800), ring of protection +2 (8,000), luminous lock pics (6,000), everburning torch (50), 1,765gp

On closer examination of the body, it looks like he had been in battle, and fell into the trap where he died. Apparently the lure of the chest was too much as he entered the room and he took a step too far. Either way, he’s all bones and skin now, the flesh having rotted away many, many years ago. Somewhat well preserved really.

4,251 to 4,300 of 8,525 << first < prev | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Euan's Mummy's Mask All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.