GM Euan's Mummy's Mask

Game Master Euan

Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Osirion Map - Wati City Map - Tephu City Map


4,201 to 4,250 of 8,555 << first < prev | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Pharaoh Hound, Animal Companion, Lvl 16

Anubis looks up at Nidhi as she scratches behind his ears and thumps his tail vigorously on the boat deck. He closes his eyes in rapture.

Amazing! They ALWAYS get the right spot!


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"When did those guys start harassing you all?"

Nidhi can’t help it – she begins to cry and adds little to the conversation regarding the assassins. Nidhi lowers her face into her hands, the metal of the mask separating her face from her soft palms. Sniffle. Nidhi’s hot tears condense on the inside of the mask, making her face even hotter than it already is. Still crying and sniffling, Nidhi fumbles with the mask.

After a few labored minutes, Nidhi frees herself from the mask to throw her arms around Stelle’s shoulders. One hand still grasps the mask with the other laying flat against Stelle’s back. Wetness escapes from nearly every orifice on Nidhi’s face, dampening Stelle’s shoulder. "I- I thought-" Nidhi swallows, "they wanted to kill us because they wanted Zilchus.” Nidhi sobs again, "-but, -but, they were trying to kill all of us. I don’t know who they are, but this is much more sinister than I originally thought.” How could we be taken off guard like that? I was useless!

Nidhi releases her grip on their Halfling companion and moves to hug each of the nearby party members – even Zilchus (and a puking Ben if he gets seasick.) Her face is streaked with tears but there isn’t any face paint to run - she doesn’t see much use for makeup when wearing a mask. “I don’t know which of you saved me, but thanks. Even if an early grave is written into my fate, I don’t want to die.” Nidhi sniffles again, wiping her face with the sleeves of her traveling cloak.

Nidhi seems to calming down after her cry. Her face and tone serious: “I want to hunt down whoever is responsible and kill them all. They’re probably after us because of you-know-what.” Nidhi clutches her elaborate mask tight to her chest but doesn’t immediately put it back on. Instead, Nidhi lifts her face towards the sky, eyes closed, enjoying the heat and brightness of the sun. As the ferry docks, Nidhi puts the mask back on and casts Disguise (taking 10 for 30) on herself to hide her headgear.

Nidhi places a hand on her hip and tilts her head, “to Abdur’s?” Nidhi walks next to either Stelle or Zilchus as the party travels down the streets of Wati, warily eying anyone who she deems suspicious.

Perception (streets of Wati): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31


Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"Hey, Zilchus, didn't I see you with a Crocodile Amulet? Were you using that to heal people? Can the crocodile cure poison too?"

Zilchus looks from his sword, a bright smile appearing on his not-so-handsome face.

"Yeah, you did. Twice. I did it twice. In on sitting. A new record," Zilchus says proudly. "Yeah, the Great Crocodile is pretty great, huh? Oh yeah, I can do some sweet healing at times, but mostly I use it so I can fight more. And more. And then more fighting."

Zilchus pats Nidhi's arm as he awkward accepts Nidhi's hug. He's tries to decide why Nidhi would think the assassins would be coming after him.

"Nidhi, why...why do you think the assassins would be after me? I mean, what have I done to deserve that? I mean really? Sure I killed a bunch of undead, but I haven't ever made an ass out of myself while drunk or anything...so who would want me kilt?" 'Want me kilt?' - sounds like a leprechaun offering his pants around.

Zilch shakes his head.

"Why don't we just destroy the mask? Or toss it into a volcano or something? Or feed it to crocodiles or something? It's not worth all this much hassle, is it?"


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Florence perks up a little too when Stelle asks about healing poison. She looks at Zilchus, curious. "Can you remove poison...or at least heal the damage's it's done? If so, that'd be a lot better than paying someone else to do it. Um...no offense, but like you said, you usually seem to use your power to help you fight better so that's why I didn't think to ask earlier," Florence asks, awkwardly rubbing at the back of her neck. Zilchus seemed to her the most un-priestly person she'd ever met, but she wasn't going to tell him that.

"And, um...can we even destroy the mask ourselves?" she adds in a lower voice, speaking over Nidhi's shoulder as she returns the young woman's hug. "If it's as powerful as it's supposed to be then we might not be able to destroy it even if we want to."


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
"Nidhi, why...why do you think the assassins would be after me? I mean, what have I done to deserve that? I mean really? Sure I killed a bunch of undead, but I haven't ever made an ass out of myself while drunk or anything...so who would want me kilt?"

"Because a certain noble woman seems overly-fond of you," Nidhi crosses her arms defensively. "You're obviously the strongest asset in our party... besides my voice." Through various interactions, it should be clear Nidhi values bronze over brains. Nidhi glances over at Stelle, examining her armor but perhaps not anymore...

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Can you remove poison...or at least heal the damage's it's done?"

Nidhi looks doubtfully at Zilchus, "yeah, can you?"

Florence Corvina wrote:
"If it's as powerful as it's supposed to be then we might not be able to destroy it even if we want to."

"I'm pretty sure anything can be destroyed," Nidhi comments flatly. "Life is cyclical."


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Well, I meant not without some sort of special tools or processes," Florence replies. "I mean...it can't be as simple as just snapping it in two, right?" she asks, looking at Ben to weigh in on the matter.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

So you worship one of the Ancient Gods of Osirion? Well, I had several clues about it but was not completely sure,” says Ben to Zilchus during the travel.

His mind filled with all sorts of thoughts, the scholar is little talkative during the river travel. The recent event were a source of innumerable worries for Ben: dangerous discoveries, murder attempts, and between Cahal leaving and Stelle joining, many things had changed drastically and perhaps permanently.

Mh?

When Florence explicitly consults Ben, he absentmindedly mutters something. It takes a few second for his brain to elaborate what his ears had heard and transform those sounds in a rational phrase with a meaning.

The rigorous answer is that things work exactly the opposite of what Nidhi said. Nothing in nature can be destroyed. Everything can be transformed, but it primary components, which in natural philosophy we call metaphysical elements, that is matter and form, they stay throughout change. Although the particular disposition of prime matter may change, its total quantity in the world cannot.

Ben takes a breath, his eyes wandering in the horizon.

But when you pour magic into this context, things start to work a bit differently. The mask is a powerful artefact, I am afraid, and artifacts always have a complex and detailed method of destruction. There is no way to destroy an artefact without respecting its destruction requirements, which happens to be very specific in most cases.”

Ben takes a sip from his canteen.

In our case, we don’t even know how to destroy the mask. I was hoping to find it our during our researches, but we still don’t have a clue. Perhaps we will learn how to do it in Sothis, but until then…You can try to destroy it, Nidhi, but you will not succeed.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The barge lands in Wati, and while they begin to unload their goods, the party hops off and heads to Milki - still in a deep discussion as to what to do.

As you walk through the streets, you'll note that while the city is still, perhaps, a little subdued, it seems largely back to normal after the undead uprising. Surely there are people who have left perhaps never to return, and others who have died, but the survivors seem to be getting back to business as usual.

You reach Milki and the guards Abdur had surrounding the place have disbursed, and his usual trade seems to have returned. You enter the tavern side and settle in to a table for a few drinks (brought slowly by the ever numerous but largely useless staff) to pass the time. It isn't long before Abdur enters to check on things and sees you.

He joins you quickly and warmly greets you, "My friends, welcome back! I see you found them!" He nods to Stelle. "So how has your research been going? Did the painting do the trick? I haven't seen you in a while so I assumed it did." he grins.

"Where's Cahal? Surely she hasn't fallen..." he tails off, looking to your faces for a clue.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"The rigorous answer is that things work exactly the opposite of what Nidhi said. Nothing in nature can be destroyed."

What is he talking about? We're all worm food eventually.

Nidhi tries to listen in, but her eyes glaze over as Ben gets more technical. She starts thinking about her grandmother and Cahal, only brought back at the mention of her own name:

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"Nidhi, but you will not succeed.”

"Huh? What? Okay." What were we talking about? Oh, the mask. Nidhi feels indifferent to the subject. She dislikes wearing the mask, but enjoys the additional Charisma she feels from its power. ...I wonder if they have normal food prices again. Nidhi continues to look around, walking close to one of the tanky party members.

~*~*~*~*~

GM Euan wrote:
"Did the painting do the trick?"

"Yes, it did. You know, Abdur, we had no idea you'd met Muminofrah before. You should have been more explicit about her... interests." Nidhi narrows her eyes and crosses her arms.

"There are assassins after us, Abdur. Do you have any idea who they could be? Muminofrah didn't send them, but whoever did must have money. These assassins had their tongues cut out of their own volition." Nidhi isn't sure if they're ALL missing their tongue, but it sounds more dramatic that way. "They like to kill with poison so I wouldn't be surprised if they're missing more than just their tongue." Nidhi shrugs. "Florence and I almost died, Abdur. There are still evil people with malicious intent out to get us... are you familiar with poisons? Can you look me over?"

Nidhi waves a dismissive hand, "Cahal decided she had been away from home for far too long. Her daughter, you know." Nidhi sighs wistfully, "I guess that's why they call it first love and not everlasting love or eternal love." Kids.


Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
Nidhi looks doubtfully at Zilchus, "yeah, can you?"

Zilchus crosses his arms as he is challenged by Nidhi.

"Yeah, I sorta can. I can delay the effects of the poison when I choose to and can fix some of the damage caused by the poison when I choose to," Zilchus says defiantly but explain why he feels defiant when speaking to Nidhi, but he does.

"And if you ask me nicely, I'l fix your awkward limbs and wooden gait tomorrow. You're walking around like a baby deer."

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
“So you worship one of the Ancient Gods of Osirion?

Zilchs returns Ben a look.

"Was one of the 'clues' when I discussed it in detail with her bodacious lady, Muminofrah? Or was it that I've been a conduit for the roaring torrent of Sobek's unchained power? And he of course he's ancient! He's been around since the rivers started to flow we will be there as long as the great crocodiles swim," Zilchus snorts. "Should be pretty obvious. Maybe that headband is causing you some issues."

* * *

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
In our case, we don’t even know how to destroy the mask. I was hoping to find it our during our researches, but we still don’t have a clue. Perhaps we will learn how to do it in Sothis, but until then…You can try to destroy it, Nidhi, but you will not succeed.

Zilchus shrugs. "Well, since we've tried nothing, Ben, it seems pretty odd that you don't think we can do it. We haven't tried fire, or smashing, or cutting. Heck, give it here and I'll try right now," Zilchus' hand is outreached for the mask. His other hand draws his adamantine falchion. "I'm pretty sure my sword will cut right through it and so we don't have to worry about it again. It's gunna cause nothing but problems as is."

* * *

Abdur wrote:
"My friends, welcome back! I see you found them!" He nods to Stelle. "So how has your research been going? Did the painting do the trick? I haven't seen you in a while so I assumed it did." he grins. "Where's Cahal? Surely she hasn't fallen..." he tails off, looking to your faces for a clue.

Zilchus runs to greet Abdur, clutching his master's hand.

"Cahal is fine. She has decided to tend to her family and child. We...we...wish her well in that. But no matter, you've sent a find research assistant who can also fight in Stelle, a wonderful hire! How long shall we expect her services? She wasn't quite clear for how long she was going to be working for us? The dog is wonderful too. Good at sniffing out information."


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Yeah, I don't know how you knew we'd be needing the extra hand but it worked out wonderfully that Stelle and Anubis showed up the same day that Cahal decided to return home," Florence agrees.

She's largely silent as Nidhi asks Abdur about the assassins and poisons, nodding in agreement. "And that was the second time - the first, I think it was just one of them that went after Cahal and Nidhi one day when we'd all decided to split up to get things done more quickly," Florence scowls. "Are there any, like...gangs or other criminal groups running around Wati or Tephu that you know of?"

"Oh! And there's one other thing - we found this headband during our research but Nidhi seems to think it's been causing Ben to behave strangely," Florence quickly adds. "We've tried examining it but it just seems to be a regular enchanted headband. Would you care to take a look at it?"


Female Halfling Cavalier/16

Stelle is a bit surprised when Nihdi starts crying on her shoulder, but tries to be comforting while Anubis presses his head against Nihdi's hip and whimpers softly.

"There, there. Don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of this assassin business."

~~~

Florence wrote:

"Can you remove poison...or at least heal the damage's it's done?"

Nihdi wrote:
"yeah, can you?"

Stelle cocks her head looking at Zilchus, curiously awaiting his response.

Zilchus wrote:
"Yeah, I sorta can. I can delay the effects of the poison when I choose to and can fix some of the damage caused by the poison when I choose to, "And if you ask me nicely, I'l fix your awkward limbs and wooden gait tomorrow. You're walking around like a baby deer."

"Zilchus Lyghtlode!" Stelle says crossly, stamping her tiny foot on the deck of the ferry. "What are you being so defensive about!? Nihdi is the one suffering, and it seems to me you're the one holding out on her!"

She looks at him incredulously when he snorts at Ben. " conduit for the roaring torrent of Sobek's unchained power?" I see. He's just not very good at it...

Zilchus wrote:
"He's been around since the rivers started to flow we will be there as long as the great crocodiles swim,"

"He wasn't known to be selfish, either," Stelle gently interjects. "Don't let him get bored. Maybe you should ask him to help everyone out in other ways more often."

~~~
Stelle nods back to Abdur in acknowledgement while Florence cuts to the chase regarding the purpose of their visit.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 13

Abdur listens as the party feeds him information and asks him questions. He laughs when Zilchus suggests Stelle was ‘hired’. ”Oh, no, Stelle wasn’t hired. She wanted to help further now that the undead have abated somewhat, and I thought of you. She’s a full and equal member of your team I should imagine. Of course, I have nothing to say on that score - it’s entirely up to you lot.” he grins.

When they speak of Benedictus’ headband, Abdur says, ”Let’s head over to my shop, my specs are there and I want to get a closer look.”

He leads you into the shop where a handful of folks are perusing the goods, and his ever-present staff is helping them. Or at least hanging about. He goes behind the counter and asks Ben for the headband. ”Just so I can examine it of course.” he says carefully.

Assuming Ben hands over the headband (though he does so with some reticence), Abdur takes it can turns it over in his hands while examining it carefully with his glasses. ”Oh, I see. Yes, well.”

He roots around under the counter and produces a small flask. He calls to one of his assistants to bring a glass and he pours the liquid into the glass. ”Here, have a drink while you wait, OK?” He gives the glass to Benedictus and waits for him to drink it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Ben tries to accept Zilchus’s retort as calmly as possible. “Woah, someone’s touchy today…” The scholar barely manages to keep inside of his mouth a few words on Zilchus’s bad drinking habit causing him to be so oversensitive.

***

Once at Milki, Ben lets Nidhi and the others explain the recent events to Abdur. As for him, he feels tired and confused, with too many questions floating in the vast seas of his restless mind. When Abdur asks him to follow, the scholar does so without protesting or asking why, as if he was absendmindedly carrying out an order. When the old friend and sponsor asks Ben to remove the headband, though, the scholar is hesitant, but eventually complies, and imbibes the drink offered by Abdur as asked.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

As the minty drink passes into Ben’s system, his eyes are opened. The headband is cursed! He realizes not only was it the reverse of what it claimed to be (-4 int) but it also applied an additional -2 penalty on knowledge checks. No wonder he struggled to handle the research.

Abdur smiles at the party as he hands the headband back to Benedictus, ”That’s a nasty one. You should destroy it, or at least make sure you don’t put it on your head again. I’ve got an adamantine hammer with some magics on it if you want to borrow it.”


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
“You're walking around like a baby deer."

If Zilchus’ words were meant as an insult, they had the opposite effect. Nidhi’s heart skips a beat, like a… baby deer? A fawn? …How… CUTE! Nidhi feels her cheeks grow warm and it’s not because of the desert sun: “Oh, Zilchus! I know you think I’m pretty - but to be described like that! Why, I’m flattered! So even when I’m like this, you think I’m pretty? Is it my smooth skin? My dark eyes?” Nidhi rapidly bats her lashes. “You know, adult deer are quite graceful creatures. And their big eyes make them rather cute.”

Nidhi taps a finger to her chin, “so what animal would Zilchus be? A rhinoceros, maybe? They’re big, powerful creatures who can make tight turns while running.” Nidhi studies Zilchus’ face for the first time, he kinda looks like a rhinoceros, I guess?

Perception (Zilchus' face): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28

Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
“her bodacious lady, Muminofrah?”

Nidhi frowns and looks away, “That’s one way of putting it.”

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle” wrote:


"Zilchus Lyghtlode!" Stelle says crossly, stamping her tiny foot on the deck of the ferry. "What are you being so defensive about!? Nidhi is the one suffering, and it seems to me you're the one holding out on her!"

Nidhi is surprised by Stelle’s sudden outburst. A knight in shining armor? Nidhi smiles and plays with the end of her braid: “it’s okay, Stelle. I trust Zilchus with my life. He wouldn’t let me die.” She tilts her head and places a hand on her hip: “besides, I owe him a life debt for saving me from undead planes-shifting crocodiles. That’s not something one just forgets.” (They were summoned psychopomps that were purposefully altered)

Nidhi hesitates and ultimately decides against giving the mask to Zilchus to destroy. She stalls: “If we’re going to destroy it, I think we should at least douse your blade in some holy water and garlic first. This thing gives off a Necromantic aura.” Without this, I don’t know if I’ll be as important to the party.

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Oh! And there's one other thing - we found this headband during our research but Nidhi seems to think it's been causing Ben to behave strangely," Florence quickly adds. "We've tried examining it but it just seems to be a regular enchanted headband. Would you care to take a look at it?"

Nidhi straightens, “Yeah, Ben started acting weird ever since we entered the Dark Depository. I think the assassins that attacked up cursed him. Do you mind giving him a look-over? Oh! And he’s weirdly attached to his new headband. I don’t think he even takes it off at night.”

GM Euan wrote:
"I’ve got an adamantine hammer with some magics on it if you want to borrow it.”

Nidhi hesitates, then asks: "Abdur, do you have anything to destroy my mask?" I probably won't have it forever anyway. It's brought us a lot of trouble.


Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"What are you being so defensive about!? Nihdi is the one suffering, and it seems to me you're the one holding out on her!"

Zilchus looks at Stelle with confusion. Didn't I just save Nidhi's life? Now I'm being mean to her!? Never enough for some people.

He declines to response, almost regretting that he mentioned he *could* help, if given time and notice.

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"He wasn't known to be selfish, either. Don't let him get bored. Maybe you should ask him to help everyone out in other ways more often."

Zilchus looks at Stelle again. Again, is nothing I do good enough? Nothing?

"Tell me more about *my* god, Stelle. Tell me about his teachings. I would hear what you know of him. You're clearly a good researcher, what have you learnt of the Lord of the Sandy Rivers? The Torrent Unchained?" Just to be clear, Sobek isn't a good god. He's ain't even all that sane, just like Zilch.

* * *

Nidhi Aashirya wrote:

“So what animal would Zilchus be? A rhinoceros, maybe? They’re big, powerful creatures who can make tight turns while running.” Nidhi studies Zilchus’ face for the first time, he kinda looks like a rhinoceros, I guess?

[dice=Perception (Zilchus' face)]

Zilchus recoils from the overt attention, knowing his is nothing to look at. He knows there is a reason he needs to pay for it. And that's just how things work. He'll never be pretty, and may never be loved...but he will rage as long as Sobek allows him to rage, letting the Crocodile batter Zilchus' body against the rocks of his will.

"If you want me to fix you, I can do it tomorrow. If you like the way you are, that's fine too. Just stop complaining about it," Zilchus offers in meager reply.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

My reaction to Zilchus' face's description

Me trying to understand said description.

Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
"If you want me to fix you, I can do it tomorrow. If you like the way you are, that's fine too. Just stop complaining about it," Zilchus offers in meager reply.

Nidhi nods, "yeah? Okay, first thing tomorrow then. It's a date, so don't go back on your word." Nidhi isn't too concerned about her impairment unless others seem concerned.

When it's clear that Ben is going to be okay, Nidhi approaches Stelle. "So," Nidhi smiles coyly, "you thirsty? I want to know more about Stelle, the brave and beautiful halfling and her fiercely loyal companion, Alice!" Nidhi personally walks up to the bar (due to slow service) to retrieve a pair of tankards filled with ale. She sets the drinks down at an empty table and motions for the other woman to join her. "Is indigo your favorite color? It really brings out the shine in your mithril armor. I personally prefer a deep blue - azure blue." Nidhi gestures to the silk scarf tied around her waist. "Although, as you've probably noticed, my eyes are green." Nidhi messes with her mask as she talks. With her hindered dexterity, it takes longer than usual to get it off. Nidhi also invites Florence to join if she takes a break from observing Ben.

Nidhi takes a long sip of her frothy drink, wiping the corner of her mouth with her thumb. "I couldn't help but notice how brave you were today. So calm and collected. How long have you been training? Has Alice always been by your side?" Nidhi stares at a hanging rug on the wall: "I didn’t have much experience before joining this group. I don’t even have a tragic past!” Nidhi means it as a joke, but realizes it's not that funny. Obviously the others do… Flo with fire, Ben, something with his family, and probably Zilchus… maybe he was dropped on his head one too many times...

Nidhi suddenly laughs, recalling: “so, when I was little my father and I used to shoot arrows at sacks of grain behind the shop. We had – have – chickens, so as you can imagine, they were pretty plump birds. Anyways, our pets got so big that Grandmother started hiding the feed!” Nidhi hits the tabletop with the palm of her hand as she laughs. Her various gold and lapis lazuli bracelets jingle with her movements. “Grandmother hid the feed in the guest room upstairs and forgot to move it before a guest arrived. He told Grandmother his bed was as lumpy as a sack of grain – because – pfft – it was a sack of grain! At least ten bags!” Nidhi’s laughter tones down to giggles until she finally calms down completely. “As you can probably guess, Grandmother hated archery after that. I bought a bow for the lottery anyway and here I am.” Nidhi leans an elbow on the table, her fingers lacing through strands of her braided hair. Nidhi takes another healthy sip of ale and shares a charming smile with her companion “I’ve told the story before, but I thought you might enjoy it.” Nidhi absentmindedly touches the mask in her lap under the table, "Grandmother always wanted me to use a dagger like her. A bigger needle, I guess," Nidhi adds conversationally.

Nidhi tilts her head and places a finger against her cheek, "do you want to know why I owe Zilchus a life debt? Since I have a bit of liquid courage in me, I'll tell you." Nidhi takes the longest sip yet of her drink, remembering. She sits the container ungracefully back onto the table, causing a bit of liquid to slosh onto the table. "It was. THE. Scariest moment of my life. It would have been a terrible way to die, Stelle. More terrible than a group of sloggenhide assassins." Nidhi looks her companion dead in the eye and taps the table with her index finger. "The undead and deformed crocodile bit into my side like I was a chew toy. I was lifted off the ground in milliseconds as the beast thrashed it's head back and fourth at unnatural speeds. I thought my neck was going to snap!" Nidhi involuntarily shudders and rubs her arms. "I could feel my blood literally being pulled from my veins to decorate the surrounding buildings. The whole alley was painted red - with me. As I blacked out, I felt my soul being yanked from my mortal form, violently. When I regained consciousness, Zilchus was standing over me holding a healing wand."

Nidhi touches the cool surface of her drink, "If it wasn't for that big oaf, I probably would've turned into a restless spirit. When your death is that violent, I'm not sure if you can find peace." Nidhi looks up at Stelle to clarify, "I think about death a lot. Being around death doesn't bother me. I think it's the transition between life and death that I find unsettling. Being stuck, you know? When we were down in the tombs, I yearned for the sunlight. It reminds me that I'm alive." Nidhi leans forward conspiratorially, "plus if you use a magnifying glass, the sun can fry all of those horrible creepy crawlies. I hate bugs. All of those legs and weird looking parts..." Nidhi shivers again and takes a sip of her drink.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

"Cursed?"

Ben is both surprised and terrified by Abdur's verdict.

That means Nidhi was right...For Nethys, good thing I didn't give it to Florence...Wait, does this mean that...Oh...

Ben cannot help but regret giving away his own headband so easily now that its replacement turns out to be cursed.

I'm not asking it back...But what should I do now? I cannot afford a new one without spending all the money I had planned to invest in other things...

Ben sighs, distressed, but manages a smile to Abdur as a sign of his appreciation for what the man has done for him.

"Thank you for showing me the truth, dear Abdur. I owe you one."

Ben stands up and accepts the adamantine hammer. He brings it down on the cursed headband with rage, and as he hammers, his thoughts are filled with fears.

Without my original headband I am going to be much less powerful now...I hope I will be able to protect Florence and Zilchus as before, and the entire Osirion as well...I wonder if that headband somehow changed my personality. Come to think of it, both Nidhi and Florence mentioned that I seemed to be acting strangely, according to them...Oh gods, this was really a bad choice...I hope I didn't say anything too bad...


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

As prickly and frustrating as he could be sometimes, Florence couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Zilchus as Nidhi suddenly gives him a very direct, searching look. Casually, Florence sidles over and trods on one of Nidhi's feet - not enough to really hurt but enough to get her attention.

"Stop staring at him! He clearly doesn't like it," she hisses into Nidhi's ear before hurrying off after Ben as he goes to destroy the cursed headband. "I'll be back to join you guys in a few minutes!" she calls over her shoulder.
________

Florence silently watches Ben hammer away at the cursed headband until the job is done and then coughs to get his attention. "Um...I think the others are taking the time to get some drinks," she informs him. "Well, Nidhi and Stelle are, anyway. I think Nidhi's got a new crush now," she sighs, rolling her eyes. "And Zilchus is...well, Zilchus is being Zilchus. But after what happened earlier I can't really blame anyone for wanting a strong drink. I might get one myself before the night's through."

"And, um...I'm sorry that thing turned out to be cursed," Florence continues, finally getting to the real reason she'd come to talk with Ben. "It's true nature must've been disguised really well if none of us were able to see it for what it was, even after looking at it twice. So it's not your fault, or anyone's."

Florence then reaches up and carefully slides Ben's old headband off of her head and holds it out. "Do you want this back? I was really happy that you wanted to pass it on to me but I don't want to keep it if you need it more," she offers. "I can always save my coin and buy another one for myself, you know."


Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
Nidhi nods, "yeah? Okay, first thing tomorrow then. It's a date, so don't go back on your word."

A date? Zilchus doesn't look too enthused about the prospect, but said he would help and will, on the morrow, offer a lesser restoration to Nidhi.

1d4 ⇒ 4 of temp ability damage healing.

* * *

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"Thank you for showing me the truth, dear Abdur. I owe you one."

Zilchus pats Ben on the back, getting Ben then himself an ale. "Yeah, you had no way of knowing. I couldn't tell. I never quite get what you're talking about so I assumed it was more of the same. But yeah, good job on admitting you were wrong." Zilchus takes a big drink after offering a toast to Ben.

Zilchus finishes his drink, then gets another and spins on his barstool to look at the room. And Stelle.

"So...Stelle? You'll be sticking around with us for a while? Apparently, we still can't get agreement to destroy the mask, but it's probably for the best if we just toss it into the fires now. Or take it to the smithy and really heat it down. What you think?"


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Ben toasts with Zilchus, happy to see that his friend has managed to get back in an acceptable mood.

When Florence approaches him and offers to give him his old headband back, though, Benedictus feels guilty for having thought too much about that.

A gift is a gift.

"You can keep it, Flo," the scholar says with a kind smile, something the cursed headband had erased from his list of facial expressions. "It was a gift, and it really suits you. Perhaps you can help me choosing a new one though, I am terrible at choosing things." Ben smiles and sips the drink offered by Zilchus. Removing the headband feels like having a curse lifted from him. Quite literally indeed...


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"You're offering to let a woman take you shopping?" Flo responds, eyebrow raised. "Be careful with that, because you might get more than you bargained for," she teases. "But if you're sure then maybe we can figure something out to get you another one sooner rather than later."

Once everyone has a drink in hand, including herself, Flo watches Stelle curiously - wondering what she might think about the whole mask business. "I know you don't really know the whole story...and that Ben said we probably couldn't destroy the mask right now if we tried, but I'm curious what you think, too. Sometimes you can get a better opinion if you ask someone that's not all, or entirely, tangled up in the matter themselves."


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Florence Corvina wrote:
"Stop staring at him! He clearly doesn't like it," she hisses into Nidhi's ear before hurrying off after Ben as he goes to destroy the cursed headband. "I'll be back to join you guys in a few minutes!" she calls over her shoulder."

Nidhi's expression looks like Florence just told her she's allergic to air. "...What? ...This... is the first time I've ever paid any attention to Zilchus' face. You're being weird Florence." Nidhi waves a dismissive hand: "Tusks, skin color, height - you should know - it's all the same to me." Nidhi purposefully excludes her female WWE fantasies.

Nidhi wasn't trying to tease Zilchus or even thinking about a snarky remark until Florence provokes her. Nidhi smirks, continuing even if Florence has already left: "oh! But wait! What if he's kidnapped by a certain bodacious lady? I'll need to be able to describe him to the proper authorities. Whelp! I guess it's a good thing I looked, huh?" An image of Zilchus being hauled over Muminofrah's shoulder pops into Nidhi's mind and she spits her drink back into it's container, laughing. No way she could lift him!

Zilchus wrote:

Zilchus finishes his drink, then gets another and spins on his barstool to look at the room. And Stelle.

"So...Stelle? You'll be sticking around with us for a while? Apparently, we still can't get agreement to destroy the mask, but it's probably for the best if we just toss it into the fires now. Or take it to the smithy and really heat it down. What you think?"

"If you want to try to destroy it, Zilchus, go ahead. I don't think Ben's against destroying it... he just doesn't think it can be done." Nidhi looks over at Stelle and shrugs. Nidhi is on the fence about the mask. She dislikes hiding her face, but enjoys the benefits of the headgear. Nidhi hands over the mask if Zilchus outstretches his hand.

"Stelle, are you a morning person? If you wake up early enough, we can sit by the Golden Lake watch them feed the crocodiles. I haven't been there in a few weeks." With Cahal's obvious priorities still fresh in Nidhi's mind, Nidhi isn't quite ready to move on. With anyone. Her friendliness and teasing remarks don't hold any deeper meaning, although perhaps her charismatic personality can make things appear a certain way.

Sense Motive DC10:
Nidhi is afraid of walking alone and getting attacked by the assassins.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

"I think it cannot be done, and I think it should not be done. At least not yet," quickly replies Benedictus. "I know, it puts us in danger. But I think that we should keep it hidden as best as we can. "


Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"I think it cannot be done, and I think it should not be done. At least not yet,"

Zilchus turns on his stool to face Ben. He takes another drink, relaxing more.

"Yeah, but why? Why not get rid of it? What do we gain by keeping it? It's causing us nothing but trouble. We know what it can do and so what? If it's a key to a great evil or whatever, sticking it in the slag pit to melt might just the solution."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Halfling Cavalier/16
Zilchus wrote:
""Tell me more about *my* god, Stelle..."

Oh my, he's testy.

"You are right, my apologies. You worship your god in whatever way suits you best."

Nihdi wrote:
"you thirsty? I want to know more about Stelle, the brave and beautiful halfling and her fiercely loyal companion, Alice!"

"OH, yes, I could use a drink after all. That is very thoughtful of you!" Stelle says, joining Nihdi at the table. She bids Annie to lie under the table out of the way, and pours water for him into a collapsable bowl. "Let me get the next round, though!"

She sips her ale answering Nihdi's questions more or less as they come.

"Funny, I never thought about how the indigo works with my armor," Stelle says looking down at her armor, suddenly becoming self conscious. "Indigo -- yes -- is my favorite color. I love color of the indigo sky when it is not too bright out, and not too dark out. Everything is quiet and calm it seems to me, at that time."

"Calm and collected? Oh, thanks. It doesn't feel that way! I charge in, and feel pretty focused during a battle, but afterwards I feel like I might collapse like a bunch of broccoli! I have been training with my Uncle for -- oh, what is it -- ten years now. We used to play joust when I was a child though, I never really counted that as training, but that is where I learned how to ride."

She reaches down and pats Anubis, who has now taken a seat on the floor beside her to poke his head up at the offerings of the table, and take a general gander in situ around the room. "I've only had Anubis-Ka here for about two years now. I used to have a dog named 'Zero', but I'm afraid he was a bit clumsy and fell into the river..." she trails off looking rueful, and takes a long sip of ale. "He was eaten by crocodiles," she whispers sadly.

Nidhi wrote:
"do you want to know why I owe Zilchus a life debt? Since I have a bit of liquid courage in me, I'll tell you."

Stelle gasps when Nidhi mentions "The undead and deformed crocodile". Her mouth remains agape, but she nods in understanding once or twice as Nidhi relays the rest of the story.

Nidhi wrote:
"plus if you use a magnifying glass, the sun can fry all of those horrible creepy crawlies. I hate bugs. All of those legs and weird looking parts..."

Stelle nods again, and takes a sip of ale. "That is exactly why I have a magnifying glass."

~~~

Zilchus wrote:
"So...Stelle? You'll be sticking around with us for a while? Apparently, we still can't get agreement to destroy the mask, but it's probably for the best if we just toss it into the fires now. Or take it to the smithy and really heat it down. What you think?"

"Yes, if that's alright with everyone, I'd like to join your group. But about the Mask -- what do you know about it? Didn't Ben say that it contains some fragment of a Pharaoh Hakotep's Soul? And wasn't he the Sky Pharaoh? What do you hope to accomplish by destroying it?"

She turns to Nidhi.

"By the way, I think the way you 'hide' it in plain sight by wearing it is terrifically clever."

Nidhi wrote:
"Stelle, are you a morning person? If you wake up early enough, we can sit by the Golden Lake watch them feed the crocodiles."

Stelle blanches a little, and asks "I ... I don't know... What will they be feeding them?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47
Zilchus wrote:
"Yeah, but why? Why not get rid of it? What do we gain by keeping it? It's causing us nothing but trouble. We know what it can do and so what? If it's a key to a great evil or whatever, sticking it in the slag pit to melt might just the solution."

"Do we even know what happens if you break something that's got part of someone's soul stuck inside?" Florence asks. "You've definitely got a good point and if having the mask means we've got to be constantly watching our backs for assassins now then the stakes have definitely been upped," she continues, absently rubbing at the spot near her ribs where one of said assassin's blades had slid home hours earlier.

"But I'd also really hate for us all to die in a fiery explosion or cause something else horrible if just breaking the mask unleashes hell, you know? It's not just our safety we have to think about."


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Abdur, only around for some of these conversations, shrugs. "If it is a relic, the hammer won't work on it. But this is magic beyond my understanding. I've never dealt with anything like this before - so I can't really give you much guidance. I remember reading, long ago, that things like this had their own odd and individual methods of destruction, like being crushed under the heel of a humble ant, and things like that."


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:
GM Euan wrote:
"If it is a relic, the hammer won't work on it. But this is magic beyond my understanding. I've never dealt with anything like this before - so I can't really give you much guidance. I remember reading, long ago, that things like this had their own odd and individual methods of destruction, like being crushed under the heel of a humble ant, and things like that."

"See? Do you believe me now? There's no easy way of destroying the...thing without knowing the precise method required."

Ben enjoys the night with his friends, and also answers to Florence's question.

"I am definitely aware of what I am doing, Flo. If I go alone, chances are I am going to end up losing a whole day pondering about my choice, undecided as always, so..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
GM Euan wrote:
"I remember reading, long ago, that things like this had their own odd and individual methods of destruction, like being crushed under the heel of a humble ant, and things like that."

Having a few drinks in him, Zilchus decides that now is a good time to try to destroy the mask.

"Humble ant? Hmffph. I don't have any of those around...but I do have my humble sword," Zilchus says finishing his ale and after pausing briefly to see if he needs another.

"We probably should do this outside..." He takes the mask and looks around for a clearish area that he can set the mask before offering it a mighty strike with his adamantine falchion.

He places the Mask on a large stone or stump and clears everyone away. From there he will offer one, if not two, mighty, grunting, tipsy slashes at the Mask.

"DIE MASK!"

1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 12 + 4 = 33 to hit with grunt;
2d4 + 12 ⇒ (2, 2) + 12 = 16 adamantine damage.

1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 12 + 4 = 36 to hit with grunt;
2d4 + 12 ⇒ (1, 4) + 12 = 17 adamantine damage.

Pot Crit:
1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 12 + 4 = 27 to hit with grunt;
2d4 + 12 ⇒ (2, 3) + 12 = 17 adamantine damage.

Zilchus gives it, at least in his opinion, two mighty, mighty swings.

AP is over now, right? Zilchus wins Pathfinder?


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Zilchus with, presumably, the party in tow, heads to the courtyard in broad daylight in full view of the members of the pub and a few passers by. He takes the mask from Nidhi, exposing it to the world. He sets it on the ground and steps back, making two might swings.

On the first hit his sword is notched and on the second, gouged (until repaired, it now has the broken condition). Aside from a few adamantine flakes near the impact point, the mask shows no signs of having been touched...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi takes a step back in shock, "oh! Your weapon!" She places a hand on her hip and tilts her head "Maybe we should just slap our enemies around using the mask. Like a fist guard." I can't believe I was wearing something so powerful! Nidhi feels a surge of pride for wearing in the mask. She rushes over and picks the headgear up, cradling it protectively in her arm. What power!


Female Halfling Cavalier/16

Stelle frowns in disapppointment as Zilchus tries to destroy his weapon on the mask.

Nidhi wrote:
"Maybe we should just slap our enemies around using the mask. Like a fist guard."

"I've imprinted the emblem of my shield onto opponents after I've bashed them hard enough with it. I bet the Mask could have the same effect," she laughs.

She scratches her head in puzzlement.
"I can see how an undead uprising might be related to your finding the Mask, but why do you think it is responsible for the assassins attacking? What could they possibly want with it? Could there be some other reason?"


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"We've crossed paths with other people that seem to know about it and are looking for it too," Florence remarks, shaking her head at the damage done to Zilchus' sword. "Tch! At least we're right here at Abdur's; he should be able to repair it pretty quick...or direct us to someone who can. And that's one question answered, anyway!"

"Anyway, maybe they've hired people to kill us. It's not like we've been super discrete about searching around in the libraries of Tephu and all," Florence adds. "Not to mention we kinda stand out a bit, even in the crowds."

Even more now that we've got you and Anubis with us, but that's not your fault.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

"Nonetheless, we should start planning our travel to Sothis," says Benedictus, scratching his chin. "I would like to buy a thing or two tomorrow morning, and we need to sell some items to Abdur. Would the afternoon do for everyone? Oh, and how do we reach Sothis? Does anyone know?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Zilchus lets out a long string of oaths, besmirching the mask, the mask’s mom, his sword, the sword’s maker, and questioning the sword maker’s lineage (caprine, he suggests) in a long torrent that ends with him kicking the mask all the way back to Nidhi. It’s clear to himself that he didn’t have enough to drink when he tried this.

”Well, that didn’t work and now my sword is broken. What are the chances that wouldn’t work? 10%? Sheesh.”

I think I can fix this tomorrow...or the Great Crocodile can.

Zilchus goes back in to grab a drink, bringing it back out to sip upon while listening to Ben.

”Sothis? Why are going to Sothis, Ben?” Zilchus asks, thinking about other ways to try to destroy the mask, including humble ants. ”Remind me?”

I think we just boated back from Wati after the assassin fight, right? Might be late afternoon?


HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"One of our possible leads is in Sothis," Florence responds patiently. "Remember? That Sacrosanct Order of the Blue Whatever supposedly hid Hakotep's heart in Azghaad’s Spire in Sothis."

Florence pauses, recalling the map of Osirion she'd spent some time studying way back when she was making plans for her journey from Cassomir. "Sothis is waaaay on further down the river from here. It's actually where the River Sphinx empties into the Inner Sea," she explains. "So it'd probably be uh...maybe a day or even longer at least to get there from here, I think?"


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

It is late afternoon on Moonday, 30 Sarenith, 4714.

”The Sphynx is a slow and winding river.” begins Abdur. ”And while it is slightly faster downstream than up, it’s no quick trip. Sothis is over 150 miles as the bird flies, and much longer by river barge. Even if you manage to hire a swift keelboat, it’ll be three weeks or more to make the journey. You might have more speed on camelback, but the roads can be treacherous if you travel in small groups - though perhaps not for you lot.”

”Have you finished your researches in the library then?”

He looks at Zilchus’ blade. ”I have nothing to fix this manually, but magic should do the trick with enough applications. If none of you have the ability, I could find someone for you for a small fee, likely not too much - maybe a hundred gold all told. Maybe less.”


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

"Perhaps my memory is failing me due to the cursed headband, but I thought we managed to learn everything we could in Tephu. Is it right?," asks Ben.

To Abdur, the scholar answers with a sigh followed by a few words. "Wow, I ignored the travel was so long. Perhaps I can buy a scroll and just teleport us there? What do you guys think?"


[ice]1d20+8[/dice] Sense Motive

Zilchus goes back for another drink, continuing to cuss under his breath, and bemoan his broken sword.

"So we've got nothing much to go on, a mask that we don't know how to destroy yet, and my sword is broken..." Zilchus continues his grousing, not looking forward to more boat travel or sitting in libraries.

And Nidhi's afraid of the dark. Ben thinks his getting dumber. Florence? Ah, she's perfect. Stelle seems nice.

"The good thing is that we won't have to worry to about assassins on the boat," Zilchus looks for the bright side. "And the river is where the Great Crocodile is strongest. Should be nice time to show some respect to the Raging Torrent."

Zilchus takes another sip, drawing out his sword to look at the damage again.

"Ah...I got this, Abdur. I think I can fix it. Just need to bathe it in the river a few times in the morning. Ain't no thing."


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Ben, research led the party to a priest named Khnenti who had researched Hakotep, and died for his transgressions. His body was in the sarcophagus with the mummy-type creature you fought in the last library. He had apparently learned good things in the Vault of Hidden Wisdom according to your last days research.

Your lead to Sothis hasn’t been looked into yet. You found a single document suggesting that the Sacrosanct Order of the Blue Feather hid Hakotep’s heart in Azghaad’s Spire in Sothis. You know nothing about the spire or the heart - other than you think it might contain more of Hakotep’s soul.

A teleport scroll will be quite expensive as there are five of you, plus steeds, familiars, and others in your menagerie. In fact I’m not sure a single casting will do it unless you leave folks behind. Also, Benedictus may have travelled through Sothis to get here, but he has a decent chance of failure. And of course you’ll need extra scrolls so you can return.


1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 Sense Motive - Nidhi, DC 10

For Z's last post.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
Stelle blanches a little, and asks "I ... I don't know... What will they be feeding them?"

Nidhi stares at the ceiling, "Sometimes the people feeding the crocodiles fall in, but they usually do a pretty good job at keeping them fed. It's near the Church of Pharasma too. One of the best places to be in Wati."

Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"I can see how an undead uprising might be related to your finding the Mask, but why do you think it is responsible for the assassins attacking? What could they possibly want with it? Could there be some other reason?"

"There's only two reasons why someone would want this mask, Stelle. They either want an army of the undead or they're trying to hide an exceptionally large nose." Nidhi straightens, "I, of course, don't fit into either of those columns. I'm simply wearing it out of loyalty to Wati. A selfless sacrifice to keep the dead... dead." Nidhi deflates a little, "Have you tried eating while wearing a mask? It's near impossible. And any drink just dribbles down the front of me," Nidhi complains. "Do you have any idea how many food vendors we've passed on the way to the library?" Nidhi pauses, letting Stelle guess if she chooses. "At least six!" Nidhi furrows her eyebrows in worry, "...I've often found myself fantasizing about food. A few days ago I woke up chewing my own pillow. I ate half a jar of honey back in the Dark Depository in one sitting - and finished it off the following day!" Nidhi isn't sure why she's spilling so many embarrassing details about her life to a near stranger. Perhaps Nidhi finds Stelle easy to talk to.

~*~*~*~*~

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"Perhaps my memory is failing me due to the cursed headband, but I thought we managed to learn everything we could in Tephu. Is it right?," asks Ben.

Nidhi's eye flick side to side, the rest of her body stiff: "Yes." Her response sounds definitive and she hopes the passionate researcher will believe it. Nidhi isn't sure and I have no idea. I really don't want to visit any more stuffy libraries. I'm still exhaling mothballs over here.

Buff (pretending to know): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Florence Corvina wrote:
Florence pauses, recalling the map of Osirion she'd spent some time studying way back when she was making plans for her journey from Cassomir. "Sothis is waaaay on further down the river from here. It's actually where the River Sphinx empties into the Inner Sea," she explains. "So it'd probably be uh...maybe a day or even longer at least to get there from here, I think?"

"Ooooh, that sounds wonderful! A heroic journey across the desert!" Nidhi laces her fingers together, "no teleportation scroll! We should rent camels instead! You know, I've always dreamed of traveling across the sands. Besides, it makes for a much better story," Nidhi tilts her head and smiles, her fingers still laced together over her heart.

Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
"The good thing is that we won't have to worry to about assassins on the boat," Zilchus looks for the bright side. "And the river is where the Great Crocodile is strongest. Should be nice time to show some respect to the Raging Torrent."

"I guess that would be fine too." Nidhi smirks, "Do you think your snookums would lend us the Pleasure Barge? Ahh, I wonder what kind of things we'd find under the pillows!" Nidhi covers her mouth to laugh and clumsily dodges behind Florence or Stelle. "Sorry, sorry. I feel like Zilchus handed me that one on a silver platter. Sorry! I said I'm sorry!" Nidhi laughs again, clearly in a good mood. Perhaps it's from dodging death or the alcohol or just the comfort of being back in her home town.

Nidhi stops drinking when half of her ale is gone, but helps herself to a variety of Wati foods that are too delicate to be packed as traveling rations. She announces that she wants to visit her grandmother before they decide to leave Wati again and that she plans on buying a belt to help with her dexterity.

Would Nidhi be worried about traveling to her grandmother's shop alone in Wati? Or does she need to "recruit" her companions to come along for safety?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 117/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 5/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 3/5, L5: 5/5, L6: 4/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Blink, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Well...if we don't want to try going to Sothis, there was also the uh...the Vault of Hidden Wisdom - it sounded like Khnenti learned some things there, too," Florence points out. "It's supposed to be found by following a dawn shadow or something early in the morning, I think. But I'm not sure if we ever figured out where it or this 'Tower of Ra's Glory' is supposed to be. We might have to...um...do more research to find out...."


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Florence Corvina wrote:
"We might have to...um...do more research to find out...."

Lol! Nidhi stiffens mid-bite, hoping Ben didn't hear the dreaded r-word.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Ben considers the different options available in his mind, while the others talk, but when Florence speaks, he cannot avoid agreeing with her.

"I think Florence is right," he explains, "I didn't know Sothis was so far away from Wati." Ben sighs and shakes his head, as though admitting the darkest sin of his life. "I skipped some classes of geography..."

Ben smiles. For a moment, his mind is led to compare his life at university and his life as an adventurer here, in Osirion. Ben is undecided, but his new friends tip the balance towards his new life.

"Besides, teleportation would not only be expensive, but also risky. We should follow the lead Florence mentioned."

Ben pats Zilchus on the shoulder and smiles. "I am so happy we are together here, my friends," he says as he stands up, perhaps betraying his recent thoughts.

"Please give me tomorrow morning to buy a few things, then we will search this Vault of Hidden Wisdom, OK?"
________________________
Just to be clear, Ben wants to buy another headband of vast intelligence +2 with Knowledge (religion). I don't know how I will be able to even the WBL with the others, but in any case Ben is not accepting his headband back from Florence, I just cannot make any sense of it in-character. Any ideas on how to solve this, mechanically speaking?


Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
"Sorry, sorry. I feel like Zilchus handed me that one on a silver platter. Sorry! I said I'm sorry!"

Zilchus stares at Nidhi. You know what else might look good on a silver platter? Your head. He shakes his head and goes to get another drink, a fifth by his count.

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:

Ben pats Zilchus on the shoulder and smiles. "I am so happy we are together here, my friends," he says as he stands up, perhaps betraying his recent thoughts.

"Please give me tomorrow morning to buy a few things, then we will search this Vault of Hidden Wisdom, OK?"

"HERE HERE!" Zilchus toasts to the happiness (drunk or imagined, it does not matter to Zilchus) that Ben is enjoying, drinking his ale happily.

"And I'll need some time in the river tomorrow morning to fix my blade," Zilchus agrees. "What the mask has broke, the River will repair. I'm sure of it."


Female Halfling Cavalier/16
Nidhi wrote:
"Sometimes the people feeding the crocodiles fall in, but they usually do a pretty good job at keeping them fed. It's near the Church of Pharasma too. One of the best places to be in Wati."

"Oh, O.K. As long as it isn't live dogs... sure I'll join you to look at the Golden Lake, after your date with Zilchus."

Stelle agrees with Nidhi about the assessement of her own nose, and interjects a "No, of course not!"

Nidhi wrote:
"I'm simply wearing it out of loyalty to Wati. A selfless sacrifice to keep the dead... dead." Nidhi deflates a little, "Have you tried eating while wearing a mask? It's near impossible. And any drink just dribbles down the front of me,"

"Oh my! That does sound most uncomfortable, thanks for taking a hit for the team!"

Florence wrote:
" [the Vault of Hidden Wisdom is] supposed to be found by following a dawn shadow or something early in the morning, I think. "
Ben wrote:
"I think Florence is right [ ...] Please give me tomorrow morning to buy a few things, then we will search this Vault of Hidden Wisdom, OK?"

"I can help, there -- I know exactly where the entrance to that lies!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Pharaoh Hound, Animal Companion, Lvl 16
Zilchus wrote:
"HERE HERE!" Zilchus toasts to the happiness (drunk or imagined, it does not matter to Zilchus) that Ben is enjoying, drinking his ale happily.

Anubis leaps to his feet, and sticks his face into Zilchus's face all the while wagging his body and whining in anticipation.

Moar meat stix?!! You have moar MEAT STIX?!!

4,201 to 4,250 of 8,555 << first < prev | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Euan's Mummy's Mask All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.