DM RichD's Council Of Thieves Campaign

Game Master Briccone

Council of Thieves Book 3: What Lies In Dust
Part 5: Delvehaven
The PC will explore the long-sealed Pathfinder lodge..


251 to 300 of 4,832 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Owing to either some stroke of timing or an unseen awareness of the situation Tuesday meets Naberius' glance. And nods.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

There is nothing of note on the bodies of the undead. Just rotted, smelly clothing.

After about 10 more minutes, Janiven will say, Tal! Hold up! She smudges the wall with her thumb and says, Ah! Here it is There are rusted rungs leading up to a grate at the street level. Let me check it out. she’ll say as she motions for the group to be quiet. She deftly climbs the rungs and listens at the grate. After a few moments she lifts the grate and peers around. When she is satisfied that no one is coming she climbs out. Friends! I know you want to get out of these sewers, but wait here a few moments. After what seems like an eternity, she reappears. Coast is clear! Come on up!

You find yourselves in an alley behind a condemned Shrine of Aroden. Janiven heads to a boarded up door and knocks three times, waits three seconds and knocks three more times. As the door opens you see that it only looks to be boarded up to the casual gaze, but is a fully functional door. The door is opened by a nervous looking man holding a lantern. Jeez, Janiven! We thought the Hellknights got you like poor Arael! he says. He quickly ushers you inside. Despite the shrine’s outward decaying, forgotten, façade, inside it is warm, cozy and clean. Inside you see eleven others in the middle of a heated argument. We should call ourselves the ‘Children of Westcrown’ says one. No! We should be the Swords of Aroden! says another. Several other names are brandied about including ‘Guardians of Cheliax’ and ‘The Scions of Aroden’ until the group notices you all. I say Janiven! These recruits smell horrible! Where did you find them? In the sewers says a female gnome. Hey! Don’t insult them Yakopulio, they might be able to help us with a name. What do you think we should call ourselves? says a man with amber eyes. Hold up, Gorvio. Janiven interrupts, some of them haven’t decided to join our noble cause yet. We were in the process of discussing that when we were interrupted by the Hellknights. Which reminds me. Morosimo, I have a mission for you. As the youth approaches she will say to him, Please determine the whereabouts of Master Raveen and make sure he is well. The youth will give an enthusiastic Yes ma’am before heading out. Just before he exits, Janiven will call to him, Be careful, it is after dark and the shadow beasts might be hunting. The youth calls out as he disappears into the night, They haven’t found me yet! The gnome chuckles and says, They don’t bother him because they know he won’t make much of a meal!

Janiven then turns to all of you. Friends! I know you must feel filthy from your time in the sewers. Please, we have sinks in the back for you to freshen up. If you are hungry, we have food noticing Monday’s empty bottle, and we have wine! Make yourselves at home! You are welcome to spend the night so you do not have to brave the shadow beasts. She then looks at Monday and Mera. Sleeping arrangements are totally up to you. She will then give a quick introduction to all those in the room. When Anna is introduced, there is quite a ruckus. The man who had opened the door says, I don't remember no Anna. What happened to that Raheim fellow? The gnome will turn to him and say, It was Raveen. You dolt! But the question remains, what did happen to him?


Brief description of those in the room

Ermolos – Male human- muscular, walks with a limp. Speaks with a chelish accent. He was the one who opened the door.

Fiosa - Female Halfling – Dressed like a house servent.

Gorvio – Male human- Speaks with a chelish accent.

Larko - Garundi human male – rarely speaks.

Mathalen - Female human – Thin, wiry woman who speaks with a chelish accent.

Rizzardo - Varisian male human – Seemed the most agitated during the discussion about the name.

Sclavo- Garundi human male – soft-spoken.

Tarvi – Female human – Wears nice jewelry and speaks with a chelish accent

Vitti – Male human – Has green hair and seems to be busy carving wood when otherwise not engaged. Speaks with a chelish accent.

Yakopulio – Female gnome – Noisy and freely insulted other’s ideas during the name debate.

Amaya – Tian female human – Well-mannered and extremely attractive.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Monday goes along with the others, nodding and giving approving looks at the hideout before settling on the occupants, looking at each in turn. Very much a fox let loose into a hen house her gaze settles on Amaya. "Sleeping arrangments are up to us, you say?" she says while wearimg a wolfish grin.


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Mera visibly blanches, her mouth hanging open slightly. She touches her chest and raises both eyebrows.

"Sinks? I'd like a drawn hot bath please. One simply does not wash the filth of the sewer off in a sink."

Mera lets out a long winded sigh. She turns to Fiosa assuming she is the servant and states matter of factually, "Wine, I'll start with the wine."

She glides over to Tarvi and strikes up a conversation, "Please ignore my present state, I had an unfortunate tour of the underground. I simply [i]adore those pearls. You must tell me where you found them?"


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

"Oh yes! More wine and talk of pearls please!"


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal waits patiently in the sewers as JAniven scouts ahead. When she is finished and says the way forward is clear Tal waits and offers to give those a hand climbing that may need it. Once clear of the sewer though Tal resumes his position up front in case something should appear.

3 knocks, 3 seconds, and 3 knocks later the door opens. Tal logs this in his memory in case he should ever need it. Before he enter he gives the sky a quick glance. Night had fallen while in the sewers and Lily would be home worried about him. She knew that Tal would spend the night inside rather than try to get home to her but it still wasn't ideal.

Tal looks around and sees the inside of the temple does not match up at all with what the outside presented. A rather well conceived hideout. Not many would think to search an abandoned temple for a group of...well...whatever this is.

Before Morosimo leaves Tal grabs him by the shoulder and gives him a stern look. If you are going out be safe. But if you can I need you to go to 134 Province and tell the woman there that Tal is safe but it got too late to come home. Just let her know that I and I will pay you for your service.

Tal gets the introductions from everyone as he sizes up the group. Still a strange eclectic group he thinks but none worse for who he was traveling with already. If this group could make it out of the sewers in once piece than no sense doubting anyone here. Thanks Janiven for the offer of food and drink and the sinks. He shoots Mera a perplexed glance as she asks for a bath as if this is her personal bath house. Tal takes a quick respite at the sinks to wash off the grime of zombie flesh and skeleton dust along with goblin blood and normal sewage. Once he is refreshed he comes back out to the group. Asking allowed as he has no idea who they are Tal, Anyone have any rags and oils I can use. I need to clean my gear before it starts getting pitted and rusty. My armor will have to be brought in I think to get everything out of the links but for now I will make do. Any of you know how to clean a chainshirt? As Tal asks he avoids looking at the green haired Vitti as that is just not normal.

While busy cleaning his gear he keeps an eye on Janiven and Anna to see how she handles the inquiries from the others about Raveen not being there and Anna showing up. He holds his tongue though to let the situation play out as he too is curious for an answer. Perhaps one won't be forthcoming till after Morosimo returns though.


Female Humanoid (Human) Artist (Painter)

That's a lot of posts.

Naberius Belthrune wrote:

Naberius glances scornfully at the bodies, and scoffs, "Higher arts? Necromancy is not my speciality, and in truth I find the whole practise unbecoming of a gentleman..."

Also, just to be clear, Naberius has been very careful not to mention his family name. Can't be too careful in this company... :P

I'm very sorry. I think Anna will continue to call him Mr. Wizard in this case.

The Higher Art is magic as a whole.
@GM: Can Raveen substitute the Knowledge:History with Knowledge: Local?

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

"Oi...I do recall some cult or another 'ere. hese must have been theirs." she says, observing the deep splurch as the warrior shoved the corpses into the sewers.

Anna notices the exchange between Monday and Naberius, and can't help but make a comment: "Passion and senselessness notwithstanding, is not rising as an undead and defying the cycle of souls by nothing but sheer willpower something to be recognized? A creature with that will is a fearsome foe."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Anna Kelyn wrote:


Anna notices the exchange between Monday and Naberius, and can't help but make a comment: "Passion and senselessness notwithstanding, is not rising as an undead and defying the cycle of souls by nothing but sheer willpower something to be recognized? A creature with that will is a fearsome foe."

"Very much so!" Monday happily responds, a bit of pride in her voice as she speaks.


Female Humanoid (Human) Artist (Painter)
DM RichD wrote:

Coast is clear! Come on up!

You find yourselves in an alley behind a condemned Shrine of Aroden.

Anna climbs the rings.

Climb, surface with wall and braces; DC 5: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
As Anna arises to the surface, she notices the trappings of the shrine. She takes a deep breath from clean air, coughing up a little.

Should we roll saves vs. inhaled diseases, or did everyone take their (admittedly mediocre) precautions?

She follows Janiven, paying attention to her surroundings.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
A halfway decent perception check. It must be my birthday.

DM RichD wrote:

Janiven heads to a boarded up door and knocks three times, waits three seconds and knocks three more times. As the door opens you see that it only looks to be boarded up to the casual gaze, but is a fully functional door. The door is opened by a nervous looking man holding a lantern. "Jeez, Janiven! We thought the Hellknights got you like poor Arael!" he says.

He quickly ushers you inside. Despite the shrine’s outward decaying, forgotten, façade, inside it is warm, cozy and clean. Inside you see eleven others in the middle of a heated argument. "We should call ourselves the ‘Children of Westcrown’" says one. "No! We should be the Swords of Aroden! "says another. Several other names are brandied about including ‘Guardians of Cheliax’ and ‘The Scions of Aroden’ until the group notices you all.
"I say Janiven! These recruits smell horrible! Where did you find them? In the sewers" says a female gnome. "Hey! Don’t insult them Yakopulio, they might be able to help us with a name. What do you think we should call ourselves?" says a man with amber eyes.
"Hold up, Gorvio." Janiven interrupts, " some of them haven’t decided to join our noble cause yet. We were in the process of discussing"...

This is it?! Raveen thought, turning through the faces, thanking any god who would listen that he came in disguise. This organization must be infancy if this is it.

Dramatis Persona wrote:

Ermolos – Male human- muscular, walks with a limp. Speaks with a chelish accent. He was the one who opened the door.

Fiosa - Female Halfling – Dressed like a house servent.
Gorvio – Male human- Speaks with a chelish accent.
Larko - Garundi human male – rarely speaks.
Mathalen - Female human – Thin, wiry woman who speaks with a chelish accent.
Rizzardo - Varisian male human – Seemed the most agitated during the discussion about the name.
Sclavo- Garundi human male – soft-spoken.
Tarvi – Female human – Wears nice jewelry and speaks with a chelish accent
Vitti – Male human – Has green hair and seems to be busy carving wood when otherwise not engaged. Speaks with a chelish accent.
Yakopulio – Female gnome – Noisy and freely insulted other’s ideas during the name debate.
Amaya – Tian female human – Well-mannered and extremely attractive.

A Halfling house servant. Is or could be a spy in a rich house. Several men and women (many Chelish by tongue), a Varisian wanderer--is that a gnome?! Raveen thinks, dazed at the targeted membership of this (as he anticipated) untitled rebellion, which seemed (for the most part as of yet) entirely from middle or medium-high class. This is a circus, not a force to overthrow Thrune.

DM RichD wrote:

...that when we were interrupted by the Hellknights. Which reminds me. Morosimo, I have a mission for you. "

As the youth approaches she will say to him, "Please determine the whereabouts of Master Raveen and make sure he is well. "
The youth will give an enthusiastic 'Yes ma’am' before heading out. Just before he exits, Janiven will call to him, "Be careful, it is after dark and the shadow beasts might be hunting. " The youth calls out as he disappears into the night, "They haven’t found me yet! "
The gnome chuckles and says, "They don’t bother him because they know he won’t make much of a meal!"

Come on...Nobody is that heartless, Raveen thinks, sighing inwardly.

"Wait--there will be no need for nightly wanderings," Anna calls out for the boy. She then turns to Janiven's possibly suspicious glare, and says, "I know that Master Raveen is well. If you may, I will discuss it with you privately."

Anna will seek out Janiven to talk to when everyone is either asleep or away. Characters he will consent to hear the conversation are Naberius and Tal other than Janiven.
Can we ret-con the following to be altered to reflect the interruption?

Canon? wrote:

When Anna is introduced, there is quite a ruckus. The man who had opened the door says, "I don't remember no Anna. What happened to that Raheim fellow? "

The gnome will turn to him and say, "It was Raveen. You dolt! But the question remains, what did happen to him?"
Quote:


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12
Anna Kelyn wrote:
The Higher Art is magic as a whole.

I got that, but Naberius was implying that necromancy shouldn't be lumped in with 'true magic.' There is nothing 'high' about it. He has strong opinions on the subject. :)

Anna Kelyn wrote:
Anna notices the exchange between Monday and Naberius, and can't help but make a comment: "Passion and senselessness notwithstanding, is not rising as an undead and defying the cycle of souls by nothing but sheer willpower something to be recognized? A creature with that will is a fearsome foe."

Naberius does not seem to hear Anna, but appears to be lost in thought. He spends the rest of the trip like this, furrowing his brow as if trying to remember something.

DM RichD wrote:
Despite the shrine’s outward decaying, forgotten, façade, inside it is warm, cozy and clean. Inside you see eleven others in the middle of a heated argument.

Naberius stops to look down his nose at the motley crew of rebels. 'Scions of Aroden?' He shakes his head. The lesser the threat they actually pose to the system, the lesser the risk, he reminds himself. He looks ready to jump at the chance to get rid of the filth of the sewers, but sticks around for a brief moment to hear whatever Anna has to say for herself. Meanwhile, he looks around the interior of the building with some interest.

This was only the second temple to Aroden he had ever visited. The one in Old Korvosa was still tended to by a handful of priests, even as it was being swallowed by slums. This one seemed well and truly abandoned. Like the building back home, this place filled him with the same intangible feeling of nostalgia, for glories of the past he had never had the chance to experience himself. Had he only been born in those times...

Anna Kelyn wrote:
Anna will seek out Janiven to talk to when everyone is either asleep or away. Characters he will consent to hear the conversation are Naberius and Tal other than Janiven.

Naberius will certainly be present, assuming this meeting does happen.

Otherwise...

Naberius returns from the back sans his coat, neatly groomed and smelling faintly of cologne. He had little chance to clean his clothes, so that would have to wait until morning. He grabs a mug of wine, and spends a couple of hours wandering around the temple, studying whatever is left of the shrine's old frescoes and statuary.


Male Raven Familiar | HP 12/12 | AC 16 | Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +5 | CMB +1, CMD 7 | Init +2 | Perception +10

Finally free of the cramped tunnels, Vasco stretches his wings and flies up onto the rafters. First the raven occupies himself with grooming his feathers, and then goes to look for food.

His favorite prey are unattended plates.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Monday wrote:
Monday goes along with the others, nodding and giving approving looks at the hideout before settling on the occupants, looking at each in turn. Very much a fox let loose into a hen house her gaze settles on Amaya. "Sleeping arrangments are up to us, you say?" she says while wearimg a wolfish grin.

Amaya blushes a beautiful shade of red and a look of embarrassment passes over her. Why Ms. Monday, who can think about sleeping when we have wine and stimulating conversation around us. It is good to meet you all, and especially you Ms. Mera. I caught your performance the other night and I must complement you on singing. Should you have been around at the time of earthfall, I am sure your singing would have caused the meteors to change their path to keep from harming something so beautiful. I do some singing myself when I work as a glass blower, but I am nowhere as good as you. If you decide to join us, you must teach me some songs, will you please?

Mera wrote:

Mera visibly blanches, her mouth hanging open slightly. She touches her chest and raises both eyebrows.

"Sinks? I'd like a drawn hot bath please. One simply does not wash the filth of the sewer off in a sink."

Janiven bites her lower lip as she thinks. She then snaps her fingers. There is an unused fountain in the apse, we can fill it with hot water and erect some privacy screens. Ermolos, please see to it! She then glances at Monday, Unfortunately I believe it will only hold one. She giggles. When this woman first flirted with me, it caught me by surprise, but now that I know…

Mera wrote:
Mera lets out a long winded sigh. She turns to Fiosa assuming she is the servant and states matter of factually, "Wine, I'll start with the wine."

Fiosa stares balefully at Mera. Either say please or get it yourself! I am no one’s slave and I am not YOUR servant. Or is it that you think that all Halflings are your servants? She then mutters under her breath, The Inheritor give me strength!

Mera wrote:
She glides over to Tarvi and strikes up a conversation, "Please ignore my present state, I had an unfortunate tour of the underground. I simply [i]adore those pearls. You must tell me where you found them?"

I got them from my parent’s jewelry store, the “Glitter Palace”. You must come in some time. I will give you the ‘Children of Westcrown’ or 'Swords of the Sewers’ or whatever the hell we decide to call ourselves discount! She says with a roll of her eyes and a chuckle. She then lowers her voice, I believe you and I have something in common, if what I have heard about you is true.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Amaya wrote:
Amaya blushes a beautiful shade of red and a look of embarrassment passes over her. Why Ms. Monday, who can think about sleeping when we have wine and stimulating conversation around us. It is good to meet you all, and especially you Ms. Mera. I caught your performance the other night and I must complement you on singing. Should you have been around at the time of earthfall, I am sure your singing would have caused the meteors to change their path to keep from harming something so beautiful. I do some singing myself when I work as a glass blower, but I am nowhere as good as you. If you decide to join us, you must teach me some songs, will you please?

"I wasn't thinking about sleep in the slightest, especially with wine and such stimulating... Conversation." she replies as she keeps a hungry gaze leveled on the glass blower.

Janiven wrote:


Janiven bites her lower lip as she thinks. She then snaps her fingers. There is an unused fountain in the apse, we can fill it with hot water and erect some privacy screens. Ermolos, please see to it! She then glances at Monday, Unfortunately I believe it will only hold one. She giggles. When this woman first flirted with me, it caught me by surprise, but now that I know…

"Correction! It'll hold one if you're lonely, two if you're friendly. Same principles apply to beds." she adds without breaking her gaze.


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Mera turns to Amaya and lets the smallest of smiles grace her lips, as if she were talking to an eager child. She was quite used to praise such as this and it never really got old. In fact, she loved it.

No, that's not quite right. She thrived on it. She tilts her head slightly to the left and says to Amaya, "Why thank you my dear, I'm quite thankful I was not around during Earthfall." She leans in an whispers, "But I'm sure I could have swayed at least three meteors!"

Mera nods to Javinen, "That will do. Thank you."

Quote:
"Either say please or get it yourself! I am no one’s slave and I am not YOUR servant. Or is it that you think that all Halflings are your servants? "

I'm not lying...: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Mera places her palm on her chest and feigns a look of surprise. "Oh my. Please accept my sincerest of apologies. By no means did I assume you were my servant. I have just been engaged with untold horrors of undead in the sewers and chased by Hellknights for my life. Truth be told I knew not if I would survive this day and as the light of freedom came to my eyes I was so overcome I misplaced my manners. I would be in your debt if you could find the time to provide me with a glass of wine." To sell it, Mera does her best to add genuine context to her story by appear frazzled and unnerved by the events in the sewer.

"The Glitter Palace? Hmmm. I can't say I've ever been, but I should love to some time. They are simply exquisite."

Quote:
I believe you and I have something in common, if what I have heard about you is true.

Mera blinks rapidly as she tries to determine what it is they have in common. Best to play it safe, they are all strangers. "Oh, why, yes we do! I simply adore pearls as well!"


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Mera Wist-Thrune wrote:
Mera blinks rapidly as she tries to determine what it is they have in common. Best to play it safe, they are all strangers. "Oh, why, yes we do! I simply adore pearls as well!"

"Who doesn't?" Monday adds, her eyes finally breaking from Amaya to look at the Chelish woman for a bit before turning back to the Tian and sidling a bit closer.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Tal wrote:
Tal looks around and sees the inside of the temple does not match up at all with what the outside presented. A rather well conceived hideout. Not many would think to search an abandoned temple for a group of...well...whatever this is.

Yakopulio looks at the extremely tall (to her) human and shouts, We could say the same about you, sweetheart!

Tal wrote:
Before Morosimo leaves Tal grabs him by the shoulder and gives him a stern look. If you are going out be safe. But if you can I need you to go to 134 Province and tell the woman there that Tal is safe but it got too late to come home. Just let her know that I and I will pay you for your service.

Consider it done, Sir! After Anna stops him from his mission to find the whereabouts of the missing Raveen, Morosimo will ask Tal, Do you still want me to deliver the message to your missus? It will be no trouble at all. In fact, I would prefer to do it?

Tal wrote:
Anyone have any rags and oils I can use. I need to clean my gear before it starts getting pitted and rusty. My armor will have to be brought in I think to get everything out of the links but for now I will make do. Any of you know how to clean a chainshirt?

I believe I do Ermolos says. I used to help my Da with his armor and blade all the time. Let me set up Ms. Mera’s bath and I will attend to you. I would love to here of your combat in the sewers! The man says as he limps away.

Tal wrote:
Tal asks he avoids looking at the green haired Vitti as that is just not normal.

Vitti ignores all of you and keeps busy with his wood carving. The only one he seems to pay any attention to is Vasco. Looking up from his woodcarving every so often and letting out a ‘Kaw’ at the bird.

Raveen wrote:
@GM: Can Raveen substitute the Knowledge:History with Knowledge: Local?

Yep!

Raveen wrote:
Should we roll saves vs. inhaled diseases, or did everyone take their (admittedly mediocre) precautions?

Since none of you deicided to take a swim in the sewer water, I think you are safe. You all just smell bad.

Raveen wrote:
"Wait--there will be no need for nightly wanderings," Anna calls out for the boy. She then turns to Janiven's possibly suspicious glare, and says, "I know that Master Raveen is well. If you may, I will discuss it with you privately."

At this Janiven arches an eyebrow. At last! Some answers! I am ready whenever you would like to discuss it Mistress Anna. Sooner better than later.

As Naberius walks around the shrine, he is followed by Gorvio and Tarvi. They seem to be studying the man and bickering back and forth:
I’m right!
No! I’m right!
A gold piece to the winner then?
Agreed!
Gorvino will then clear his throat and wait for Naberius to acknowledge him. Master Naberius, we know that you are quite skilled in the arcane arts. Do you come by it naturally or must you study it?


Female Humanoid (Human) Artist (Painter)
GM wrote:
At this Janiven arches an eyebrow. At last! Some answers! I am ready whenever you would like to discuss it Mistress Anna. Sooner better than later.

Anna nods, keeping her eyes on the kid.

Anna would look for a room with a single entry, speaking only when Janiven and she are alone. Tal and Naberius are fine to join. I assume Mera then heads to take a bath, as Monday peeps.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12
DM RichD wrote:
Gorvino will then clear his throat and wait for Naberius to acknowledge him. Master Naberius, we know that you are quite skilled in the arcane arts. Do you come by it naturally or must you study it?

Naberius attempts to avoid conversation until the last possible moment, focusing his attention on a crumbled fresco of Aroden raising the Starstone. When it comes apparent that the duo will not stop pestering him, he deigns to glance at them questioningly. Upon hearing their query, he sighs tiredly and turns back to the dead god's likeness. On a whim, he decides to test them...

"I am impressed you know there is a difference. Why do you ask? Indeed, why does it matter? Other than your inane bet, of course..."

His tone is nonchalant, but his words are carefully chosen to test the younger Chelaxians' acumen. Maybe there was some hidden potential in this ragtag group of insurgents... Though he sincerely doubted there was.

Anna Kelyn wrote:
Anna would look for a room with a single entry, speaking only when Janiven and she are alone. Tal and Naberius are fine to join. I assume Mera then heads to take a bath, as Monday peeps.

Naberius will pop in for some answers. Curiosity is the source of all knowledge and learning, after all...


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal looks down on the very vocal Yakopulio. Forcing a smile that he doesn't really believe in Tal tries to be nice to her, Just because I am twice your height does not mean that I can't hear you from that far away. Please lower your voice and not shout. I have had enough of a difficult time this evening running from Hellknights that I do not want you to alert them again with your shouting.

Morosimo wrote:


"Consider it done, Sir!" After Anna stops him from his mission to find the whereabouts of the missing Raveen, Morosimo will ask Tal, "Do you still want me to deliver the message to your missus? It will be no trouble at all. In fact, I would prefer to do it?"

Tal looks to Janiven to see what her reaction is. If she is ok with it then Tal will still request his services. I don't want you taking any unnecessary risks. However if you are going to go out then I would greatly appreciate it. She knows that if it got too late that I would stay someplace safe. I just didn't plan on it being in an abandoned temple to Aroden. By the way my lady's name is Lily. Thank you Morosimo.

Ermolos wrote:


"I believe I do" Ermolos says. "I used to help my Da with his armor and blade all the time. Let me set up Ms. Mera’s bath and I will attend to you. I would love to here of your combat in the sewers!" The man says as he limps away.

Tal gives the big man a hearty slap on the back. Excellent. Take your time with her majesty's bath. I will be talking to Janiven in the meantime. Once you are finished then I will gladly have your assistance in clening my gear and I will tell you all about the goblins, skeletons, and zombies we met down in the sewers. In return perhaps you can tell me about your Da and why he needed his armor and blade. That man has potential and a strong work ethic. He could go far with some guidance. Perhaps he would be willing to go through some training to reach his potential.

As Ermolos goes to take care of Mera and Monday's bath Tal carefully removes his armor, shield and sword tobe cared for later. He then follows Janiven as he is interested to what Anna has to tell her about herself and why she should be trusted. It was true that she helped down in the sewers but his curiosity still needed better answers to be satisfied.


Male Raven Familiar | HP 12/12 | AC 16 | Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +5 | CMB +1, CMD 7 | Init +2 | Perception +10
DM RichD wrote:
Vitti ignores all of you and keeps busy with his wood carving. The only one he seems to pay any attention to is Vasco. Looking up from his woodcarving every so often and letting out a ‘Kaw’ at the bird.

Vasco returns the favor, cawing back at the green-haired man and roosting somewhere nearby to watch him work. The raven's intelligence is apparent in the way it tilts its head to follow the man's hands.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Monday wrote:
"Correction! It'll hold one if you're lonely, two if you're friendly. Same principles apply to beds." she adds without breaking her gaze.

Rizzardo pipes up, If me lady wants someone to bathe with, I’ll oblige her. I will scrub her back and whisper sweet nothings in her ear! He says rather bawdily and with a devilish grin.

Mera wrote:
Mera places her palm on her chest and feigns a look of surprise. "Oh my. Please accept my sincerest of apologies. By no means did I assume you were my servant. I have just been engaged with untold horrors of undead in the sewers and chased by Hellknights for my life. Truth be told I knew not if I would survive this day and as the light of freedom came to my eyes I was so overcome I misplaced my manners. I would be in your debt if you could find the time to provide me with a glass of wine."

The halfling’s visage softens, I apologize too. So many believe that the only purpose those of my race have is to clean their rooms and wipe their arses. You then start to believe that everyone shares that view. I will get you your wine on one condition – you drink with me!

@ Mera: DC 13 Sense Motive:
While the Halfling seems genuine, it also seems to be a bit of a test: Will Mera drink with someone below her station?

Mera wrote:
Mera blinks rapidly as she tries to determine what it is they have in common. Best to play it safe, they are all strangers. "Oh, why, yes we do! I simply adore pearls as well!"

Tarvi smiles and fingers the pearls around her neck. Yes, I like pearls, but my parents try to pick my pearls for me and I think a girl should be allowed to choose her own pearls or maybe not wear any pearls at all...


Female Humanoid (Human) Artist (Painter)

@GM: Did Janiven show Anna the room she requested? One entry point? Tal's and Naberius's posts indicate that they are waiting. If so, Raveen will roll a Perception check vs. any eavesdroppers.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

The perception dice is surprisingly cooperative.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Rizzardo wrote:
Rizzardo pipes up, If me lady wants someone to bathe with, I’ll oblige her. I will scrub her back and whisper sweet nothings in her ear! He says rather bawdily and with a devilish grin.

Monday will turn to the flirt and cup her chin as she tilts her head from side to side. Finally she'll shake her head in a dismissive gesture. "Kind of you to offer though, but you might not survive it." she says in a friendly manner.

Tarvi wrote:

Yes, I like pearls, but my parents try to pick my pearls for me and I think a girl should be allowed to choose her own pearls or maybe not wear any pearls at all...

"Truer words have never been spoken! A girl should be with pearls she actually likes! Ones she is comfortable with. This life is too short and cruel to be with ugly pearls or ones you don't love." Monday makes a disgusted noise as she speaks. "Such a horrid fate, to not be able to pick your own pearls."


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Tuesday's somber mood is immediately washed away as he hears Rizzardo's flirtations, throwing his gaze towards the Varisian and narrowing his eyes.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Monday wrote:
"Who doesn't?" Monday adds, her eyes finally breaking from Amaya to look at the Chelish woman for a bit before turning back to the Tian and sidling a bit closer.

Amaya will scoot a little away as Monday scoots closer. There is plenty of room here. Perhaps your pale friend would like to take a seat? She will then scoot further down and pat the space between her and Monday. Please, sir, would you care for a seat? She asks Tuesday.

As Anna looks for a room, Janiven will say, The head cleric’s office should work for our purposes. Apparently he was quite loud in his prayers so they sound-proofed his office. Let’s meet there. She will then motion to Tal and Naberius to join her if they are so inclined and lead everyone to the office. She closes the door, takes the seat behind the large oak desk and say, For the last couple of hours you have been quite a mystery. Please enlighten us.

Naberius wrote:
"I am impressed you know there is a difference. Why do you ask? Indeed, why does it matter? Other than your inane bet, of course..."

Both start to answer at the same time and seeing Naberius’ frustration or is it impatients? Gorvio will speak first. It matters for I believe it is better to come by it naturally then lugging around spellbooks and such. Those who come by it naturally are free to explore instead of being holed up in some dusty old library.

Tarvi shakes her head, I must disagree with my friend here. Sure those who come by magic naturally do not need spellbooks, but do you really understand and appreciate something that just ‘pops’ into your head? It is only by careful study that you fully understand what your casting and its implications. As far as living in dusty old libraries, again I must disagree. There are many wizards who are renowned adventurers who only retire to their libraries when they are unable to take the open road.

Gorvio will blanche at Tarvi’s explanation and when she is done he will turn to Naberius, Well Master Naberius, you have heard our answers, so which practitioner are you and which do you feel is the greater – those who come by magic naturally or those that study it?


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Amaya wrote:
Amaya will scoot a little away as Monday scoots closer. There is plenty of room here. Perhaps your pale friend would like to take a seat? She will then scoot further down and pat the space between her and Monday. Please, sir, would you care for a seat? She asks Tuesday.

Monday's grin actually sharpens as the girl beckons to Tuesday. "Oh? You think yourself safer with him? Right now he's thinking the very same pleasant thoughts about you that I am."


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Sitting between the two ladies Tuesday's whole body immediatly stiffens in shock at his sister's reveal. Glaring at her he will then turn to Amaya and put up his hands in a placating gesture.


Female Humanoid (Human) Artist (Painter)
DM RichD wrote:
As Anna looks for a room, Janiven will say, The head cleric’s office should work for our purposes. Apparently he was quite loud in his prayers so they sound-proofed his office. Let’s meet there. She will then motion to Tal and Naberius to join her if they are so inclined and lead everyone to the office. She closes the door, takes the seat behind the large oak desk and say, For the last couple of hours you have been quite a mystery. Please enlighten us.

"I will be happy to," Anna says, leaning against the door, observing Janiven, Naberius, and Tal for a while. "But before that--I believe we were interrupted during our last discussion.

"You mentioned before that you chose us," Anna begins. "You also mentioned a fellow called Arael. We (I assume I can speak for myself and arrivals I know to be recent, as Miss Monday and her brother) remain interested as to who tipped you of our names. You seem to know much about us, and yet...we know nothing but what you have told us. You have been, and I quote 'discussing and debating' us," Anna says with a tinge of annoyance.

I'm sure Naberius shares this annoyance as well.

"This leads me to believe you have a fairly entrenched network of contacts. That is my first concern: they are very good, and we have no knowledge of them.
You also mentioned that you can pay us for our deeds. Although this place seems quite cheap to maintain, I assume that networking and paying off said informants is not--especially not in Westcrown. That is my second.
"Also....this party you formed,"
Anna says, waving over her shoulder at the door. "Seems dedicated, but dedication only takes you so far, and I doubt this can hold change all by itself. If I remember correctly, you said: "

Intelligence to recite: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Anna recites the words nearly word-for-word, or keeps the spirit where memory fails.

Janiven wrote:
Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history—she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters! With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!

"And yet," Anna says, pointing back again to the door where the rest of Janiven's party were in. "This hardly seems like the things legends are made of. Talk of Aroden? Rousing rhetoric in busted shrines?"

Anna then turns to the men, saying with an even voice, "Now, I'm not saying it can't be done. There can be more things better done with a small focused force than with a dedicated force of arms.
"However...like you, I've been in Westcrown. I know its people, and they are a suppressed docile folk, easy to fall back to familiarity (such is Man's destiny). What can you offer the people to keep them with you? Words, as noble Tal expressed before,
" Anna nods respectfully to the warrior. "Do not a successful revolution make.
So, to keep this focused, I will ask you several questions to demonstrate your good faith in us, before we act in good faith to you...and believe me, we have already relied upon one another already in our short foray in the sewers--so I ask from a background of budding trust between us and ourselves, as well as between us as a whole and you.
Question one: Who, formally, leads this group? Is it you, or Arael? And who is he in the first place?
Question two: Who finances this group to pay us in the first place? Anonymous donations, or pooling members' resources?
" Anna then raises her eyebrows. "Or should we rely on busted chests in sewers for our trouble?
Question three: Who spied on us, evaluated us, and determined we (of all Westcrown) were both able and willing to help?*
Question four: What is your main goal--in specifics this time, please, not rhetoric.**
Question five, and I know I might be trying your patience: How do you mean to get said goal done, and what is your main plan for us?"

After Anna finishes the series of questions, she says, "And don't worry about giving me too much information. After all--I'm in your midst, completely trapped. But if you wish answers regarding Master Raveen---there will be a good story to those who wait. After all--we're all known to each other now."

Well...for the most part, Raveen thinks dryly.

*I'll personally be interested in this. Spy-like characters are always interesting to see fleshed out.
**As of yet, Raveen already has an assessment of what the Children of Westcrown can do to erode the foundations of Cheliax--but the strongest goal he can think of right now is to get Westcrown carve her own identity as a city-state, thereby dealing a severe naval blow to Cheliax's domination over the Inner Sea, which could get many enemy nations of Cheliax (Andoran, Absalom, Taldor, and Rahadoum) to either distract the beast, or to aid them covertly (especially with the Eagle Knights/Lion Blades), while declaring public independence, and getting a snowball running against the Thrune regime.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12
DM RichD wrote:
Gorvio will blanche at Tarvi’s explanation and when she is done he will turn to Naberius, Well Master Naberius, you have heard our answers, so which practitioner are you and which do you feel is the greater – those who come by magic naturally or those that study it?

Naberius takes in the answers, sipping his wine. He remains silent in contemplation for a moment before turning back to the hopeful spellcasters.

To Gorvio he answers, "Even the most powerful sorcerer needs rigorous training to reach their full potential. A strong man might waste his life unloading cargo at the docks, never realising he might have been the greatest swordsman to have ever lived. He has the aptitude, but not the ambition, to be truly great. You speak of freedom, but what good is power without control?"

To Tarvi he says, "I am sorry to inform you that your image of the adventuring mage is rather... Romanticized. Those storied heroes had to spend years poring over magical theory before they could cast even the simplest cantrip. They paid for their freedom through hard work and dedication. Yet, I suppose there is grain of truth to the stories. What good is knowledge without application?"

He again turns to Gorvio, "To answer your question, I am a wizard. Traditionally schooled, dusty old libraries and all that. Many of my colleagues would think themselves superior on that basis alone, but I disagree. Many of them are content, clutching onto their tomes and wasting their lives away doing 'research,' never achieving anything worthwhile. Truly, they are cowards. To have power, you need to have the will to reach out and grasp it. Knowledge is a tool, just as bloodborn talent for magic. Many hold these tools, but most are afraid to actually use them. Perhaps rightly so..."

To make his point, Naberius gestures to the crumbling fresco, at the looming figure of the dead god's apotheosis.

"True power always comes at a cost, regardless of its source. Remember that."

Anna Kelyn wrote:
Lots and lots of questions.

Naberius smiles dryly through Anna's barrage of queries.

Once she is done, he quips, "Why, it is almost as if you are not the one who is being questioned..."

Growing more serious, he adds, "I am still curious to know how you learned of me, Janiven. If you were able to learn of my whereabouts, I have to assume that other interested parties might be able to follow the same leads. As you seem to know me so well, I am sure you understand my concern..."

Naberius keeps sipping his wine, leaving Janiven to deal with the answers. The questions posed were poignant, but at the moment he was more curious to see how Janiven dealt with this threat to her authority.


Female Humanoid (Human) Artist (Painter)

Anna peered at Naberius at the edge of her eyes, saying nothing. She then grew a thin smile as the mage asks Janiven regarding her intelligence, just as she thought he would. Indeed, this was one reason to why he consented to speak before him.

It seems I read you correctly, Mage, Raveen thought, curiously peering at the respectable wizard.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Tal wrote:
I don't want you taking any unnecessary risks. However if you are going to go out then I would greatly appreciate it. She knows that if it got too late that I would stay someplace safe. I just didn't plan on it being in an abandoned temple to Aroden. By the way my lady's name is Lily. Thank you Morosimo.

It will be no problem at all, in fact, it will be an honor! The youth gives a salute and steps out into the night air. He breathes deeply Ah, the streets! My home! He then plots his course to Tal’s abode and disappears into the shadows.

Quote:
Tal gives the big man a hearty slap on the back. Excellent. Take your time with her majesty's bath. I will be talking to Janiven in the meantime. Once you are finished then I will gladly have your assistance in clening my gear and I will tell you all about the goblins, skeletons, and zombies we met down in the sewers. In return perhaps you can tell me about your Da and why he needed his armor and blade

He did some adventuring the huge man says with a sad look in his eyes.

DC10 Knowledge Local or History:
Ermolos the Elder was actually an adventurer of some renown who vanished on an ill-fated journey to Thuvia several years ago.

Vasco wrote:
Vasco returns the favor, cawing back at the green-haired man and roosting somewhere nearby to watch him work. The raven's intelligence is apparent in the way it tilts its head to follow the man's hands.

Everytime the bird answers back Vitti whistles and claps and flaps his arms!

Monday wrote:
Monday will turn to the flirt and cup her chin as she tilts her head from side to side. Finally she'll shake her head in a dismissive gesture. "Kind of you to offer though, but you might not survive it." she says in a friendly manner.

Oh I don’t know about that little lady! Besides, even if I don’t, I’d die a happy man! Rizzardo says licking his lips for emphasis.

Tuesday wrote:
Tuesday's somber mood is immediately washed away as he hears Rizzardo's flirtations, throwing his gaze towards the Varisian and narrowing his eyes.

Rizzardo is so busy making lewd gestures at Monday, he doesn’t even notice the gray man.

Monday wrote:
Monday's grin actually sharpens as the girl beckons to Tuesday. "Oh? You think yourself safer with him? Right now he's thinking the very same pleasant thoughts about you that I am."

Tut tut! He has been nothing but a gentleman, haven’t you Tuesday? Amaya says. She reaches out to touch the gray man on the shoulder but doesn’t know if its appropriate and draws her hand back.

Anna wrote:
Question one: Who, formally, leads this group? Is it you, or Arael? And who is he in the first place?

We are both the leaders, but if you are looking for just one person then it will be Arael. Arael is a half-elf who is in service to Iomedae. His family has lived in Westcrown for generations and Arael has heard the stories before House Thrune and their demonic allies took over the town. He would like to see a return to that city.

Anna wrote:
Question two: Who finances this group to pay us in the first place? Anonymous donations, or pooling members' resources?" Anna then raises her eyebrows. "Or should we rely on busted chests in sewers for our trouble?

You want honesty, I’ll give you honesty. Yes we are, shall we say, self-funded so thanks will be given to whatever deity you worship when we find a busted chest in the sewer. Most of our followers are commoners. There are some nobles that sympathize with us, but have too much to lose to go against House Thrune. So while I would like to say we have wealthy benefactors we don’t, but we do all right.

Anna wrote:
Question three: Who spied on us, evaluated us, and determined we (of all Westcrown) were both able and willing to help?*
Naberius wrote:
"I am still curious to know how you learned of me, Janiven. If you were able to learn of my whereabouts, I have to assume that other interested parties might be able to follow the same leads. As you seem to know me so well, I am sure you understand my concern..."

Like I said, we are made up of commoners, the forgotten, those that see but are unseen. See Larko out there? He is a dock worker. So imagine when he overheard some sailors talk about how some Hellknights boarded their vessel and demanded someone named…well..names aren’t really important now are they. The sailors laughed when this fellow casted a spell that sent those Hellknights sprawling all over the deck and escaped. So imagine our surprise when Mathalen out there who works as a porter carried some baggage for a gentleman who just so happened to have the same name. Tal, I’ll admit, you were my own idea. I admired your professionalism but once when we were guarding opposite parties, someone asked you if you had a family and the way that you spoke about Lily, well I knew that was a man with a stake in the future.

Anna wrote:
Question four: What is your main goal--in specifics this time, please, not rhetoric.**

We want to win over the hearts and minds of the people of Westcrown to show them there is a better way. Tonight Arael was to scout out a group called the Bastards of Erebus. These Tieflings have been robbing and looting innocent people. Does House of Thrune stop them? No. Do the Hellknights? No. City Guard? Try again. It is this group that is indicative of what is wrong in Westcrown and if we take them out, how many innocents will be spared their reign of terror?

Anna wrote:
Question five, and I know I might be trying your patience: How do you mean to get said goal done, and what is your main plan for us?"

Each of you brings some skills that will help bring down these organizations. Sometimes we will need a blade like Tal here or brute force like Tuesday. Sometimes we might need to bluff and negotiate, which is where Raveen, Mera, and Monday come in. Master Naberius will be our expert in the arcane. As you can see, for the most part we are commoners, but all are eager to learn with the right mentors.

Now I think I have answered your questions so let’s end this dance. I just have TWO questions for you: How did you get Maser Raveen’s note and how do you know he is all right? She stares at Anna.

Naberius wrote:
"True power always comes at a cost, regardless of its source. Remember that."

Both Gorvio and Tarvi will absorb the Mage's words but as soon as they think he is out of earshot Gorvio will say, See! I was right on both counts! He is a wizard and they are much better than sorcerers. Now pay up!


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Rizzardo wrote:

Oh I don’t know about that little lady! Besides, even if I don’t, I’d die a happy man! Rizzardo says licking his lips for emphasis.

Rizzardo is so busy making lewd gestures at Monday, he doesn’t even notice the gray man.

As the man licks his lips a low reverberating growl that echoes in on itself came forth from Tuesday's lips, a sound nothing human should be able to produce.

Amaya wrote:
Tut tut! He has been nothing but a gentleman, haven’t you Tuesday? Amaya says. She reaches out to touch the gray man on the shoulder but doesn’t know if its appropriate and draws her hand back.

At Amaya's kind words he slips his mask down slightly to reveal a grateful smile before giving her many small bows in thanks.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Taking a sip from a glass of wine (did she pour her herself some or was it someone else's cup?) she gives the woman a dismissive wiggle of her finger. "Only while he has his clothes on."
Seeing the woman reach her hand out but then reticent she arches her brows in an amused expression. "You want to touch him? Go ahead. He only bites if you want him to." Even while drinking she keeps her grin.


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal waits patiently while Anna goes off on Janiven. For his sake he thought he questions could have waited till Anna prove herself. After all if Anna was a spy then Janiven would be revealing all of her sources and methods. Thus it was surprising when Janiven gave in and answered all of her questions. He found himself nodding in agreement when Janiven recalled correctly that Tal was willing to talk about his family when Janiven was there.

Both parties had met in a warehouse to discuss a business arrangement that had not turned out exactly how either had thought. As it was the meeting was to foster a good report and mend the damage that had been done. As it was only necessary to escort his charge to the meeting and wait till he was finished Tal had the luxury of relaxation while still being paid. Him, Janiven and another fellow that Tal could not remember his name had a cordial conversation as equals while the business was being completed. Janiven asked about Tal and his experiences. When she noticed his wedding ring she had asked him about his family. Tal had nothing to hide so answered candidly that he kept this job simply because it paid well and provided for his wife. If something better ever came around to improve her life he would try it.

If he remembered correctly Janiven didn't say much about herself though. No immediate family that he recalled her mentioning. Just a normal life of work hard in the day and play hard in the evening before curfew. Such was the life of Westcrown and Tal did not press for more information. Really didn't mater to him that much as it was just idle talk at the time. Clearly Janiven remembered and registered it for this moment. You have it true Janiven. I would do most anything to give Lily a better lot in life. She is happy and content with what we have and so am I. But it would be nice to afford some of the nicer things in life or even be able to go out at night and not worry about the beast that stalk the night. I don't know how such things could come about but I would support that heavily with sword and shield if necessary.

It seems like that is exactly what you want from me, my sword and shield. Well for the short term at least you have it. I have heard of these Bastards of Erebus and they terrorize normal families who try to make a decent living. While I would not want it to be known that it was me helping I will do what I can. I can appreciate your thoughts on making this city better but how we are to get through to the thick headed nobility here is beyond me.

At that Tal stops his talk as he committed to more than he intended to with Anna around. Looking at her he waits for her answers to both Janiven and Naberius' questioning looks.


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Outside with Ermolos Tal catches the look that befell him when Tal mentioned Ermolos' father.

know local untrained 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Tal didn't know exactly what it was for but he knew enough that there was pain there. Trying to improve the situation Tal instead goes on about the sewers, Perhaps one day you and I an go down and make our own expedition out of it. I will have to see what you are capable of first and maybe we can practice on each other. You look like a strong man that could use a sword quite effectively. What do you think of that? Some 1 on 1 training sessions for you if you would like.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Tal Bernard Mainz wrote:
Some 1 on 1 training sessions for you if you would like.

"Oh ho ho!" Monday catcalls towards the two.


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal looks at Monday and then around the room at the rest of the people gathered there. Perhaps it would be beneficial to have others present as well. Learning the basics of how to defend yourself should someone attack you would do everyone good. Monday you could join us and be our target.


Female Humanoid (Human) Artist (Painter)
DM RichD wrote:

"We are both the leaders, but if you are looking for just one person then it will be Arael. Arael is a half-elf who is in service to Iomedae. His family has lived in Westcrown for generations and Arael has heard the stories before House Thrune and their demonic allies took over the town. He would like to see a return to that city.

You want honesty, I’ll give you honesty. Yes we are, shall we say, self-funded so thanks will be given to whatever deity you worship when we find a busted chest in the sewer. Most of our followers are commoners. There are some nobles that sympathize with us, but have too much to lose to go against House Thrune. So while I would like to say we have wealthy benefactors we don’t, but we do all right.

Like I said, we are made up of commoners, the forgotten, those that see but are unseen. See Larko out there? He is a dock worker. So imagine when he overheard some sailors talk about how some Hellknights boarded their vessel and demanded someone named…well..names aren’t really important now are they. The sailors laughed when this fellow casted a spell that sent those Hellknights sprawling all over the deck and escaped. So imagine our surprise when Mathalen out there who works as a porter carried some baggage for a gentleman who just so happened to have the same name. Tal, I’ll admit, you were my own idea. I admired your professionalism but once when we were guarding opposite parties, someone asked you if you had a family and the way that you spoke about Lily, well I knew that was a man with a stake in the future.

We want to win over the hearts and minds of the people of Westcrown to show them there is a better way. Tonight Arael was to scout out a group called the Bastards of Erebus. These Tieflings have been robbing and looting innocent people. Does House of Thrune stop them? No. Do the Hellknights? No. City Guard? Try again. It is this group that is indicative of what is wrong in Westcrown and if we take them out, how many innocents will be spared their reign of terror?

Each of you brings some skills that will help bring down these organizations. Sometimes we will need a blade like Tal here or brute force like Tuesday. Sometimes we might need to bluff and negotiate, which is where Raveen, Mera, and Monday come in. Master Naberius will be our expert in the arcane. As you can see, for the most part we are commoners, but all are eager to learn with the right mentors."

And learn you shall. For the most part, the choices are very intelligent, Anna nods at the answers, considering the door behind her. A self-financed grassroots organization trying to free an entire city. I've seen worse succeed; Cheliax made a lot of enemies. The Inheritor's people behind this seems...questionable, but it is the person, not just the deity, that makes a cleric.

The door is locked, right? That was the primary reason to seek a secluded place.

GM wrote:
"Now I think I have answered your questions so let’s end this dance. I just have TWO questions for you: How did you get Maser Raveen’s note and how do you know he is all right?"

"I know he is all-right because I am he," Anna said with a starkly different voice, as she ran her hand through her hair, and tearing it off. With a wipe of an inner sleeve, a cunning layer of makeup fades, and reveals another tone of skin underneath.

A pulled pin here and Anna's false curves fall to the floor, and with a turned collar, the unisex nature of his clothes make it all clear.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

"Now, if only to sate my sense of self-satisfaction," he says, stretching his arms, and gathering his black hair behind his head as a ponytail. "Answer me this: would the old 'infiltration and confrontation' skill be useful to our shared goals?"

Raveen turns to Naberius nad Tal, nodding their direction, and saying, "Forgive me, sirs. I had no way to assure myself that what you suspected me to be was not what you yourselves are. If I am yet fooled, you have my compliments."


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

"Oh I see what you're trying to do!" she says but nonetheless stands. Looking back at Amaya and Tuesday she casts them a happy smile. "Have fun you two." Turning back around she will skip over to Tal.


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Glaring at Tal Tuesday's expression softens somewhat as Monday teases him before skipping off. Pursing his lips he nervously looks back and forth between Amaya and his sister.


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Mera recognizes the offering for what it truly is and graciously accepts. "If you would be so kind as to bring the bottle, it would be my honor to share a glass with you."

While waiting Mera turns towards Tal for his presentation.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Tuesday wrote:
As the man licks his lips a low reverberating growl that echoes in on itself came forth from Tuesday's lips, a sound nothing human should be able to produce.

Even with the dreadful sound, Rizzardo makes no notice of the man keeping his gaze on Monday.

Tuesday wrote:
At Amaya's kind words he slips his mask down slightly to reveal a grateful smile before giving her many small bows in thanks.

Amaya will smile and bow in return.

Monday wrote:

Taking a sip from a glass of wine (did she pour her herself some or was it someone else's cup?) she gives the woman a dismissive wiggle of her finger. "Only while he has his clothes on."

Seeing the woman reach her hand out but then reticent she arches her brows in an amused expression. "You want to touch him? Go ahead. He only bites if you want him to." Even while drinking she keeps her grin.

Trying to change the subject, Amaya will say, So Monday, Do tell. What do you think of our safe house?

Tal wrote:
It seems like that is exactly what you want from me, my sword and shield. Well for the short term at least you have it. I have heard of these Bastards of Erebus and they terrorize normal families who try to make a decent living. While I would not want it to be known that it was me helping I will do what I can. I can appreciate your thoughts on making this city better but how we are to get through to the thick headed nobility here is beyond me.

I knew I hadn’t misjudged you! Welcome aboard! Janiven says with a smile. Ah! The nobility! That is the rub isn’t it!

Tal wrote:
Perhaps one day you and I an go down and make our own expedition out of it. I will have to see what you are capable of first and maybe we can practice on each other. You look like a strong man that could use a sword quite effectively. What do you think of that? Some 1 on 1 training sessions for you if you would like.

I would like that very much! I haven’t pulled out me sword and board since me Da went… Ermolos trails off with the sad look returning in his eyes. After a moment he regains his composure. Cleaning out the sewers sounds like a worthy goal for this group. Not that many people venture down there, but still, goblins and undead might not stay contained down there and start coming up to terrorize the streets.

Tal wrote:
Perhaps it would be beneficial to have others present as well. Learning the basics of how to defend yourself should someone attack you would do everyone good. Monday you could join us and be our target.

Rizzardo makes some lewd comment about Monday being his target.

Yakopulio says So this is what our entertainment has been reduced to? Watching two brutes bash each other with swords? I think I would rather see a shadow beast eat Morosimo!

Sclavo, in a soft-spoken tone will say, If you don’t mind, I would like to join you. I have been interested in the martial arts, if you don’t mind training me?

Raveen wrote:
The door is locked, right? That was the primary reason to seek a secluded place.

Yes the door can be locked, so if Anna requested it, then it is locked.

Raveen wrote:
"I know he is all-right because I am he," Anna said with a starkly different voice, as she ran her hand through her hair, and tearing it off. With a wipe of an inner sleeve, a cunning layer of makeup fades, and reveals another tone of skin underneath.

At the reveal, Janiven’s stern visage suddenly becomes one of surprise. Her jaw drops and her eyes open wide. After a few seconds a wide smile appears on her face and she starts to clap. Bravo! Master Javeen! That was a performance that Mera would surly envy. The reputation you have is surly well-deserved! I pride myself as one who is not easily tricked, but you have proved me better! She adds with a grin, I am so glad we didn’t throw you in the sewer canal and leave you there!

Raveen wrote:
"Answer me this: would the old 'infiltration and confrontation' skill be useful to our shared goals?"

Janiven will answer, Yes! And I have no doubt you could disguise yourself and walk right into House Thrune and join them for evening dinner – if they still need to eat after selling their souls to the abyss that is!

Tuesday wrote:
Glaring at Tal Tuesday's expression softens somewhat as Monday teases him before skipping off. Pursing his lips he nervously looks back and forth between Amaya and his sister.

Amaya will say, Can I get you some wine or food? I do so appreciate manners and as you can see, manners are so lacking in this group. It is so nice to meet a gentleman!

Mera wrote:
Mera recognizes the offering for what it truly is and graciously accepts. "If you would be so kind as to bring the bottle, it would be my honor to share a glass with you."

Fiosa quickly returns with a bottle. She pours Mera and her a cup and says, A toast to new friends! and drinks the cup dry.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Amaya wrote:
Trying to change the subject, Amaya will say, So Monday, Do tell. What do you think of our safe house?

"Not half bad. Never been in a temple of Aroden before." she muses while genuinely looking around and taking in her surroundings.


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15
Rizzardo wrote:
Rizzardo makes some lewd comment about Monday being his target.

His attention split between Amaya and Monday he doesn't quite make out what the other man says but shoots him a scowl nonetheless.

Amaya wrote:
Amaya will say, Can I get you some wine or food? I do so appreciate manners and as you can see, manners are so lacking in this group. It is so nice to meet a gentleman!

Tuesday's lips begin to move but he instead hurriedly nods before turning his head, his cheeks starting to darken.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)
Janiven wrote:
"Bravo! Master Raveen! That was a performance that Mera would surly envy. The reputation you have is surly well-deserved! I pride myself as one who is not easily tricked, but you have proved me better!"

Raveen smiled politely, before noting that he had many close shaves this night.

"Had I been better, you would have not suspected me. I have a lot to learn."

Janiven wrote:
"I am so glad we didn’t throw you in the sewer canal and leave you there!"

His smile soured, and he said, "Had I been aware that was always an option, I would have revealed myself then and there.

Janiven wrote:
Yes! And I have no doubt you could disguise yourself and walk right into House Thrune and join them for evening dinner – if they still need to eat after selling their souls to the abyss that is!

Raveen bowed, before picking up Anna's false hair.

"By revealing myself," he began, idly smoothing the prop of sandy hair as he looked on it. "I have decided upon joining this order. I suspect that I (as well as my other companions) will be more amiable to discuss our revolutionary plans tomorrow morning."

Raveen then slapped Anna's hair on his head.

Acting to sound feminine: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

"I gotta be 'onest, Jay," Raveen said with a shockingly feminine voice. "This will be mightily amusin'."

Raveen then laughs as he unlocks the door, before leaving.

That is--unless Naberius or Tal wish to interrupt him. Since they both seem to be at two places at once, I'm not exactly sure on continuity. Are Naberius's wanderings and Tal's exercises after the reveal?
Since Raveen will also wish to wander the shrine's grounds, possibly running into Naberius.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

I assume the meeting takes place somewhere in between, with Naberius popping in for the meeting and then going back to his wandering.

DM RichD wrote:
Like I said, we are made up of commoners, the forgotten, those that see but are unseen. See Larko out there? He is a dock worker. So imagine when he overheard some sailors talk about how some Hellknights boarded their vessel and demanded someone named…well..names aren’t really important now are they. The sailors laughed when this fellow casted a spell that sent those Hellknights sprawling all over the deck and escaped. So imagine our surprise when Mathalen out there who works as a porter carried some baggage for a gentleman who just so happened to have the same name.

The woman had a point. Had he ever considered those drab masses to be anything but servants, there to do his bidding? In his mind Naberius curses his indiscretion, but outwardly shows no sign of his annoyance.

"Merely happenstance then. What a relief," he states dryly.

Indeed, it might be that this was a stroke of luck for him. Only time would tell...

Anna Kelyn wrote:

"I know he is all-right because I am he," Anna said with a starkly different voice, as she ran her hand through her hair, and tearing it off. With a wipe of an inner sleeve, a cunning layer of makeup fades, and reveals another tone of skin underneath.

A pulled pin here and Anna's false curves fall to the floor, and with a turned collar, the unisex nature of his clothes make it all clear.

Naberius' eyebrows shoot up at the revelation. He feels a passing pang of outrage at being deceived, but the feeling soon turns to grudging admiration. It was not often he felt outwitted. A crooked smile soon appears on his lips, and he lifts his mug to toast the newly revealed master of disguise. He drains it empty and sets it down nearby.

Raveen Liquean wrote:

"Now, if only to sate my sense of self-satisfaction," he says, stretching his arms, and gathering his black hair behind his head as a ponytail. "Answer me this: would the old 'infiltration and confrontation' skill be useful to our shared goals?"

Raveen turns to Naberius nad Tal, nodding their direction, and saying, "Forgive me, sirs. I had no way to assure myself that what you suspected me to be was not what you yourselves are. If I am yet fooled, you have my compliments."

Naberius dismisses the apology with a wave of his hand, and says, "No offense has been taken, I assure you. I had the feeling you were more than you claimed you were," he tilts his head slightly, and continues, "but it seems that I gravely underestimated you. Quite impressive, for mundane trickery. I think that disguise would have made most illusionists green with envy..."

The conjurer trails off, and turns his gaze to the empty mug beside him. Once again, the rebellion seemed to have gained a valuable asset. He appreciated his companions in crime being competent, insofar as it contributed to his own continued survival, but this might change everything. Naberius had not considered for a moment that this rebellion might actually become anything noteworthy, but it seemed that Janiven had an eye for talent... That might prove to be her undoing. Naberius would have to be careful not to go down with the ship.

He excuses himself soon after Raveen makes his exit, and goes to inspect what is left of the altar.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)
Naberius Belthrune wrote:
"Merely happenstance then. What a relief," he states dryly.

Raveen eyed him from the corner of his eye. Perhaps, but as of now--they serve us, he thought as he nodded, acknowledging the wizard's silent toast.

Naberius wrote:
Naberius dismisses the apology with a wave of his hand, and says, "No offense has been taken, I assure you. I had the feeling you were more than you claimed you were," he tilts his head slightly, and continues, "but it seems that I gravely underestimated you. Quite impressive, for mundane trickery. I think that disguise would have made most illusionists green with envy..."

"Even magic is but a tool, good sir," he says neutrally. "And as always--a tool is only as good as the hand that wields it.

bluff to hide emotions: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

If Sense Motive defeats bluff:

Raveen seems to be very flattered, though he tries to hide it.

Raveen is admiring a ruined bust or altar of the temple. He would straighten it if he could--though it is not immediately clear if it is of reverence or something else entirely
If Naberius approaches, Raveen would say, stepping away from the bust and examining it from a distance (assuming he does not roll to Stealth), "Very nostalgic are these folk--are they not? Talk of Aroden is at best...inadvisable."


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

In the meeting with Janiven, Anna, and Naberius...

Janiven wrote:


I knew I hadn’t misjudged you! Welcome aboard! Janiven says with a smile. Ah! The nobility! That is the rub isn’t it!

Indeed it is. A campaign such as you are suggesting can only account for so much unless there is political backing from those in power. If there is no support than it will eventually be for naught as laws will not change and the general populace, while supportive of our actions, will not be able to do anything unless there is widescale revolt. If that should happen then I am not sure that we ar raedy for that nor would I want that at this time.

Anna/Raveen wrote:

"I know he is all-right because I am he," Anna said with a starkly different voice, as she ran her hand through her hair, and tearing it off. With a wipe of an inner sleeve, a cunning layer of makeup fades, and reveals another tone of skin underneath.

A pulled pin here and Anna's false curves fall to the floor, and with a turned collar, the unisex nature of his clothes make it all clear.

"Now, if only to sate my sense of self-satisfaction," he says, stretching his arms, and gathering his black hair behind his head as a ponytail. "Answer me this: would the old 'infiltration and confrontation' skill be useful to our shared goals?"

Raveen turns to Naberius nad Tal, nodding their direction, and saying, "Forgive me, sirs. I had no way to assure myself that what you suspected me to be was not what you yourselves are. If I am yet fooled, you have my compliments."

Not liking the charade and being taken advantage off Tal still gives Naveen a smile. That wasn't funny. I was ready to sheath my blde in your ribs if you had decided to run or even act suspiscious. In hindsight I am glad I did not but i still don't like being played the fool. With that Tal tries to give Raveen a sharp meaty blow with his fist to Raveen's shoulder. The intent is not to injure or even hurt Raveen but more to knock the smugness our of Raveen that Tal feels is somewhat directed at them.

After the shoulder knock Tal smiles easier, Consider yourself forgiven, this time. You try that again with me I will give you another knock though, harder next time. How long are you going to continue this charade among the others? Hiding your identity while others know the truth will only create a divide among us. That is not something we can handle if we wish to all proceed together as it seems you and Niberius are joining the group.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)
Tal wrote:

"That wasn't funny. I was ready to sheath my blde in your ribs if you had decided to run or even act suspiscious. In hindsight I am glad I did not but i still don't like being played the fool."

With that Tal tries to give Raveen a sharp meaty blow with his fist to Raveen's shoulder.

"You speak truly. There is nothing funny about this, Sir Tal," Raveen said, nodding in a reserved fashion, restraining himself from rubbing where Tal struck him. "Though I am very glad you did hold your hand. I would understand an attack--although my ribs would not."

Tal wrote:

Consider yourself forgiven, this time. You try that again with me I will give you another knock though, harder next time.

How long are you going to continue this charade among the others? Hiding your identity while others know the truth will only create a divide among us. That is not something we can handle if we wish to all proceed together as it seems you and Niberius are joining the group.

"Again, you speak no lie--at this stage we seem past true identities. However, there is a greater lie in Westcrown than 'who is Anna and why is she here'.

The quest lies before us," said Raveen in a strangely resonant tone. "Though do rest assured--I will explain more thoroughly in the morning when we discuss our future plans. Tal, Naberius, Janiven: I bid thee good-night."

He left, with Anna's voice as described in the previous post knowing full well that his conduct will also be 'debated and discussed' between Janiven and Tal. The two friends might butt heads with regards to how trustworthy he was.

But all in all, he thought, slowing down, and lowering Anna's wig, observing the ambitious collective of 'Concerned Citizens' from the shadows. This will be the stuff of stories indeed.

This (as the previous post) count that Janiven adds nothing else--at least not in front of Raveen, whom she might be willing to talk to Tal over.

251 to 300 of 4,832 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM RichD's Council Of Thieves Campaign Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.