DM RichD's Council Of Thieves Campaign

Game Master Briccone

Council of Thieves Book 3: What Lies In Dust
Part 5: Delvehaven
The PC will explore the long-sealed Pathfinder lodge..


51 to 100 of 4,803 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal is close enough to hear the exchange between Anna and Janiven but continues on towards the restroom. Once there he splashes some water on his face as he looks up with a sigh. What am I doing here and what is going on? An artist, nobleman, noblewoman, a guy that gives me the chills looking at him, a drunk, and a woman hitting on the barkeep. Sounds like the beginning of a joke to me. Janiven and myself are the only normal ones here. I hope that this is over with quickly and I can get home to Lily. Oh well. Let's get thsi over with.

Tal returns quickly to his ale and sits with his back to the wall. His thirst for ale is gone and so is his patience. Hopefully this is over quick before the sun sets.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map
Monday wrote:
"Oh I know which one I want... But I guess I'll have an ale till then." she responds as she crosses her arms then brings one hand to cup the the side of her chin, letting a finger gently rapp against her cheek. The events playing out in her head blatantly showing in her eyes and face, obvious to everyone around.

I have no doubt about that! the woman thinks to herself, and she turns the brightest shade of red you had ever seen.

Mera wrote:
"Right then. What's in the stew?"

Meat..mostly the woman says to Mera with a slight smile and glad to escape Mondays attention for the moment.

Mera wrote:
"Surely you have something stashed away back there for a special occasion?"
Monday wrote:
"Surely you have something more appeasing to offer us?"

I’ll check. I believe there is something here that Vizio’s family left. Seeing Monday circle her and catching the double entendre something of the alcoholic type, that is!

She walks over to the drunk and helps him up and walks him over to the door. Are you sure you can find your way home? you hear her ask him. He mumbles something incoherent and stumbles into the night. The woman then darts outside shutters the windows and returns. She throws another log onto the fire and then goes behind the bar and pulls out a bottle and blows a thick layer of dust from it. Ah…Here it is 4692 vintage! She puts the bottle and seven cups on a tray and heads over to an empty table.

Putting the tray on the center of the table she announces to the group, Friends! If you will join me at this table for some wine…and answers! As the group gathers around, the woman will proceed to pull out the cork and pour herself some wine. Realizing the others might be suspicious of poisioning she proceeds to gulp it down. When she is finished she will turn the glass over, wipe her mouth with her sleeve and let out a small belch.

As some of you might know she glances at Tal My name is Janiven. I was waiting for my partner, Arael, and one other person who was invited but is also late. I guess what we are about to discuss scared away Raveen. she chuckles softly. Since I don’t want to keep you after dark and have the shadow beasts get you, let me start. She pauses for a second and with great passion says the following:
Again, thank you for agreeing to meet with me here. I have chosen most
she glances at Anna of you for a singular reason—everyone here, myself included, has suffered, whether we realize it or not. I have lived in Westcrown my whole life, and although I love this city, I must admit, as must you, that despite our peace and prosperity, we continue to suffer. Fear should not be an expected part of life, and yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps. Yes, Westcrown has been safe from war and famine for nearly seventy years, and yes, our businesses has prospered—but this safety and prosperity has been bought in the coinage of fear and prayers to Hell. Other lands live free from tyranny. Other cities do not fear the night. Other governments do not cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows. Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history—she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters! With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune! Will you join us?

She stops and catches her breath as she looks to each of you to gage your reactions as she pours herself another glass of wine.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Pleased with herself as the flustered Janiven flees to retrieve something much more downable she shoots Mera a wink as the woman produces a welcome sight. Both her and Tuesday move to the indicated table as she sets the cups down and begins to speak.

This woman has obviously never even heard of Ustalav Monday muses to herself as she pulls herself and Mera some wine. "So you want us to help you hunt nightmares and things that go bump in the night?" she asks with interest, not a backhanded dismissal.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

Anna puts her hand to her mouth, silent for a moment in shock. She then breathes out, "Such daring, Miss Janiven. B-but, what can we do? Are we to form a society? Distribute pamphlets, and undermine the system?"

Strange, Raveen thought coolly. She knew and asked for me by name. I do not recall her before.

Did she (or any of her associates) witness Raveen's interference yesterday night? Could a K:L do?

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

EDIT: Raveen/Anna ignore the wine, mostly in playing the part of the surprised damsel.


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Keeping his figure straight and at attention as the woman speaks his bored demanor cracks ever so slighty as his sister says the word "hunt". While keeping the rest of his face blank his hidden mouth twists into a wicked grin.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

Naberius switches tables, ignoring the offered wine. A glass could be poisoned as easily as the drink itself. Besides, he needed to be able to think clearly. As Janiven starts rambling against the system, Naberius looks at her incredulously, cocking an eyebrow.

This is dangerous. What she is saying is treason.

Then again, Naberius was slightly intrigued by Janiven's talk of the shadowbeasts. He had heard the rumors, of course, and learned to stay inside after sunset. However, he was not a man who liked basing his actions on hearsay and speculation. It was likely this woman spoke out of ignorance, but perhaps she actually knew something worth knowing... Could there be a connection to the infernal?

Naberius clears his throat.

"I admit I am in desperate need of employment, but I am not interested in becoming a martyr to your cause... Please tell me you have a plan of some description, not just bluster and bravado. What do you know of these shadows?"

His voice is soft, not at all unpleasant to listen to. While his pronunciation is clearly upper-class Chelaxian, it has slight rustic twang to it, at least to the ear of the Wiscrani. Isger, perhaps, or one of the over-sea colonies...?


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Mera is pleased with the wine. She helps herself to a large portion and begins to sip merrily. Merrily that is, until Janiven speaks.

She watches all of the others at the table speak as she purses her lips.

"Ah yes, those damnable House Thrunes. What to do, what to do, hmmm?"

"Soooo hold on just a moment Janiven. As I understand your plight, you are unhappy with the current order of things. But I am unclear exactly what it is that you are requesting of us? What exactly are we doing by joining you? Are we, I mean, Do you want me to shout the tale of your deeds from the stage a fortnight from now? Is that how I am to help?"

She raises her eyebrows and adds with a moment of delay, "Or are you suggesting we take up arms and hunt down these shadowy... beasts as Monday suggests? Do we know anything solid about them? Sorry, I'm not saying no, but this all sounds a little... hmmm, thin to me perhaps?"

She leans forward on her elbows and raises her voice excitedly, "Is this a secret order", hmm? Are we the saviors of Westcrown?"

She leans back and swirls the wine in her glass a few times. Looking at the glass she adds, "Thanks for the wine by the way, it's magnificent. I just knew you would have something more, hmmm, apropos?."


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal accepts the drink and downs it eartily not owrried about poison of the like from Janiven. If Janiven wanted to do something she had ample opportunity to before with the ale or even during the random business meetings they had together. It was unfortunate that he did so as her words made the alcohol catch in his throat and burn till he ends up coughing to the side spilling most of his drink. It takes him a few deep breathes to clear his throat while the others ask thier questions to Janiven. Tal could understand and in fact resonated with most of what Janiven said. the sticking point for him was the last part: free of the Thrice-damned House of Thrune. That he was not sure about. The talk of free nights without fear or death from shadow beasts, the idea of Lily free to walk in the moonlight made Tal start nodding his head in partial agreement. What you suggest is well and good but like these others have mention, how is this to come about? I would have no problem supporting a move to cleanse the night to make it safer for everyone but to move against House Thrune? That I am afraid is a tall order and not something to be bandied about.

Tal muses as well I don't know how Lily would take it either. Helping to rid teh shadw beasts is one thing. It would be dangerous but doable. Going against House Thrune is asking for the Hellknights to draw and quarter you and your family. There is great risk but what is the reward? Someone else will just take thier place.

Following his train of thought Tal asks pointedly, And should you succeed, Tal mad sure to say you and not us, would you set yourselves up to rule in their stead? What assurances would I have that things would not be worse than they are now. As you said yourself, we have peace and enough prosperity to make a living. A little sacrifice is needed sure, but it is for the greater good. Why should I not just report you now to the authorities Janiven.

sense motive DC:2:

bluff 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

Tal is quite intrigued and obvious about it but at least has the presence of mind to say the right words to cover himself should 1 of the group inform on him.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

Anna darts her eyes between the rest, and asks what seems to be the most important question: "And...if you please, Miss Janiven--why us? You seem to specify Mr. Raveen by name, and we all seem to be familiar to you and/or your associate. We know why you needed people--but us?
"Well--at least, most of us,
" Anna finishes lamely, shrugging lightly.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

Naberius sneers at 'Anna'. What was this girl doing here? The others looked like they might prove to be useful, in some small way. The cloaked giant looked capable enough for a brute, and the noble lady probably had some useful connections. The Varisians looked enthusiastic enough about hunting for shades to imply they had some experience doing so. But this young girl looked even more out of place than Naberius himself, sitting here plotting treason...

"Ask for yourself, girl. I know exactly why I am here. I possess knowledge that could prove invaluable in combating forces from beyond this plane of existence. Hired swords and such are easy to find, but people of my expertise are harder to come by... At least in these circles."

He turns back to Janiven, his expression turning back to that of reluctant curiosity.

"She does raise a point, however. I am quite interested to hear how you know of me... I can not speak for the others, but I do not like being spied on."

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

""Ask for yourself, girl. I know exactly why I am here. I possess knowledge that could prove invaluable in combating forces from beyond this plane of existence. Hired swords and such are easy to find, but people of my expertise are harder to come by... At least in these circles."

Anna puts her head down, face red, muttering in a very low voice "Please don't underestimate me, sir."

Beyond this plane of existence? Raveen thought, inwardly sighing. A conjurer, no doubt. Is it truly the wizard who chooses the school, or the school that chooses the wizard?
But if anything--Janiven seems over her head. Overthrowing Thrune? Passionate speeches in closed taverns after sundown? Would it be her aim to cleanse the city of the shadow-curse, would she not say something simpler and less damning to such suspicious folk?

Anna then turns her eyes to one person after another: Mera's intentions were reflected in her edge; she was indecisive, and she would need more information--but she was not entirely opposed to the idea.
Tal was not revolution material, clearly not the type that takes to the front lines. He seemed too entrenched in the current system. Perhaps a wake-up call would work.
Janiven and he are at first-name basis--perhaps she held something over his head. If she does, she would reveal it ere he leaves, he thought darkly, thanking Desna that he chose to come in disguise.
Naberius, if anything, did not seem to be entirely the confident man he first appeared to when he spoke. His rustic accent did not seem entirely native to Raveen's ears.

Linguistics to determine accent origin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Perhaps I would gain a circumstance bonus if it is from Varisia, as Raveen also is familiar with the colonies.

As for the ghost-girl. Raveen thought hard over last night on what to do with her. He would be the last person to talk about enforcing the order of the world as known by Pharsma, but her casual admission of killing her brother (let alone him currently following her) made him reconsider any venture with her. Let alone that she was clumsy, awkward, and drew far too much attention to them than he was ever comfortable at--especially if she kept dropping sexual innuendos that would sink a galleon.
But the fact that she (a new arrival to Westcrown, as he was sure), and Mera were both addressed (though only he by the first name) along with he made him feel uneasy.
Did their association with me lead them to this place?

@ Naberius: How cruel to put down a young dreamy artist. I love this character already--iconic badass wizard.


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

Janiven sits back as the questions come rushing forth. She has said this speech before and will say it again hopefully many more times, but the reaction is always the same. She sits there unresponsive as the questions, statements, and recriminations are said. Once everyone has said their piece, she says, Let’s start with the why and how you all were chosen. This is not a mission we take frivolously. Yes what we are saying is treason, so we made sure that those we asked..uh…most of who we asked would be sympathetic, if not enthusiastic about our cause so that they will not betray us. As you can see, I still have my neck so it hasn’t failed us once. We have been studying you, discussing you, debating you. She looks over at the Dauds and Mera. We knew about you before you knew each other…intimately it seems. She turns to Tal. As for reporting us to the authorities, Tal, you know the Hellkights. If you approach them and said that you attended a secret meeting where treasonous talk was bandied about, they will want to know why you went in the first place instead of immediately coming forward. You will swing next to me, Tal or any of the rest of you, on the gallows. You know that is true. People have been hung for a lot less. You were also chosen because you each present skills that we need in our cause. While some those skills are obvious, some those skills are more…uh…hidden.

She then looks down at her hands to make sure she is not looking at anyone in particular. Why should you join us? Besides it being the right thing to do maybe you have a spouse that you would not like to be thrown into the cells because she looked at a Hellknight the wrong way, and besides, is the Westcrown of the present anyplace to start a family? Perhaps as we take on the criminal element in this town maybe we will glean knowledge that cannot be found in books to help some with certain..uh..conditions. Maybe some of you are already being hunted by the Hellknights and this will be a perfect opportunity to begin weakening their hold on people. Perhaps some of you will want the opportunity to make their own destiny and not the destiny that they feel they are being forced into. Some, I do not know why they want to be here but yet here they are. Like I said, we have been studying all of you for awhile.

She then looks up at everyone. Now if noble ideas and personal reasons still have not convinced you there is another aspect-coin. Despite the appearance of this tavern, we do not believe that the life of a revolutionary should be the life as a pauper as well. We do not believe in robbing the populace, but robbing those who rob the populace whether illegally or under the sham of law, well, we do have to eat!

As to those who will rule when House of Thrune is brought down, well I will be the first to admit, figuring out tax codes and supping with Lords and Ladies isn’t my thing; nor is it the thing of the band we have gathered so far, but I believe we can all agree that most any other rulership will be an improvement over House Thune especially with an awakened and motivated populace monitoring them.

So how do we propose to do this you ask? Well trust me, we are not going to grab pitchforks and march on House Thrune tonight. We do not have a death wish. What we want to is gaining the respect, confidence and protection of the populace by defeating those who harm, harass, and prey upon them whether they be human or inhuman like the shadowbeasts. Some things we will do covertly, some in the open.

As for the shadowbeasts, I have not seen them personally, but I have heard of people being attacked by them. This is a perfect example of what we seek to do. Here is a creature that attacks innocents while the legal authority is unable, or more importantly, unwilling to do something about. If we can slay one it will be further proof of House Thrune’s willingness to use the otherworldly she looks at Tuesday, present company excluded of course, to keep the populace in check. Slaying one will surely be a boon to our cause. Any Questions? She then proceeds to re-fill Mera’s cup with the wine.

@Raveen: It is possible your interference from the previous night was witnessed; it was fairly crowded at Cato’s.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

As Janiven gives her speech Monday slowly loses her grin, until only a solemn look of seriousness remains. Steepling her fingers she rests her elbows on the table before resting her chin on her interlocked fingers. "You have me and Tuez... In more ways than one. Just know though, I like my privacy, so to discover someone has been snooping around and digging stuff up makes me feel a wee bit... Violated. Expect me to return the favor, Miss Janiven." as she finishes she slowly lets the tip of her tongue come out and slide across her lips, keeping a cruel gaze fixed on Janiven the entire time.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

Slaying a shadowbeast can be done, Raveen thought, taking these words in, all the while observing the outside. Researching them is not an easy task: If they do not fade into nothingness, they provide far too little information to build upon.

Anna then looked up, carefully nodding. Hit and run, street fighting, smear campaigns--all these he was very familiar with. A new identity each day, but a constant face. Rallies in dark basements, forming sleeping cells, and well-coordinated attacks.

Very ambitious, Raveen thought, but his blood cooled before it could be heated. I've been down this road before--and it never ends well.

Anna looks up to Monday as she displays a face she hasn't seen before. It was a face bearing malice, and Anna shifted a bit to the back.

In every play, this is the perfect time to be jumped. Raveen thought, biting his lip. And I may bolt. I know not, however, who poses the greatest threat--desperate revolutionaries, or the cruel order of Hell's acolytes.

EDIT: Hell's Acolytes sounds like a fitting name for a heavy metal band.


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Tuesday merely narrows his eyes at the woman as she keeps pointing him out in her speech, his fists tightening up into balls.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

Naberius listens impassively. He did not think that slaying one of the beasts would change anything, but that suited him quite well. He was already being sought for worse crimes. Low risk, high reward. That is assuming he would get paid, like promised. Learning more about these shadowy creatures was intriguing as well. His mind was already racing with theories about them and their possible origins...

"Very well. See to it that I will be compensated for my services, and you shall have them," he says indifferently, fixing his cuffs.

"I will, however, make no commitment to your crusade after this contract has been fulfilled. Are these terms acceptable?"

He glances at Monday and Tuesday with some distaste.

Varisians. So emotionally unstable, completely incapable of controlling their baser desires...


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal bristles as Janiven seems to try and undercut him by mentioning him hanging on the gallows or worse getting a spouse involved. He knew well enough what would happen to Lily should he be found to be a pert of this group. She did not need to parade it out there for all to hear.

Janiven, I think you misunderstood my intentions. See sense motive from earlier. What you suggest is intriguing and is a message that provides hope to the downtrodden. It is a message and a hope that I could see myself supporting. However there is one problem that I see before I agree with you completely.i trust you as I have seen your work. These others I know nothing about. 3 of them are in agreement with you and that is well and good but, at this point Tal puts a hand on the shoulder of Anna as she tries to scoot to the back and gives it a firm squeeze and doesn't let go. this one I am concerned about. Ever since she arrived you have given her looks and you admit yourself you did not intend for her to come. Who was this Raveen you mentioned and how did she come in his stead? How do we know that she is not some spy and that this Raveen was captured and made to talk?

I ask because as you know more than just my life is at stake. It is for those other lives that I am not willing to jeopardize that makes me say no till other assurances are given.

Just to be clear I do not want to ruin Raveen's fun but it seems too fishy that someone would show up to a secret meeting that did not seem to be invited.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

Feel free to make a grapple check so we can determine relevant mechanics. My post will follow shortly.


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Flat footed assuming or need Init?

Init 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Grapple vs flat foot CMD 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)
Tal Bernard Mainz wrote:

What you suggest is intriguing and is a message that provides hope to the downtrodden. It is a message and a hope that I could see myself supporting. However there is one problem that I see before I agree with you completely.i trust you as I have seen your work. These others I know nothing about. 3 of them are in agreement with you and that is well and good but, at this point Tal puts a hand on the shoulder of Anna as she tries to scoot to the back and gives it a firm squeeze and doesn't let go. this one I am concerned about. Ever since she arrived you have given her looks and you admit yourself you did not intend for her to come. Who was this Raveen you mentioned and how did she come in his stead? How do we know that she is not some spy and that this Raveen was captured and made to talk?

I ask because as you know more than just my life is at stake. It is for those other lives that I am not willing to jeopardize that makes me say no till other assurances are given.

Sense Motive to anticipate grapple: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Now--we're getting a little touchy, Raveen thought, as the bigger man held Anna by her shoulder. Anna turns surprised eyes to Janiven, and then the others for aid.

If no one speaks up:
"I can't believe this," Anna gasps, turning to struggle against the man's iron grip.

Escape Artist: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

"Fine--you want to play the 'spy game', I'll play," Anna says indignantly at the others' silence, brushing a hair from her brow. "You're the military-age man who comes armed and armored to a tavern after dark--bearing a note that calls for those 'concerned for Westcrown'. Unlike me--everyone here is a very suspicious or suspiciously well-connected individual, and all of you have skills that made Janiven think 'These are perfect to take on House Thrune'. If anything, I represent the citizenry who have a say in all this!"

Anna takes a deep breath to steady herself, and then says with a red face, "In fact--you seem like a man of the sword, and too concerned to maintain the status quo to join (excuse me, Janiven) apparently penniless rebels. How can we trust you? I--at least, come not armed to the teeth. So, no: I can't give you any assurances any more than you can give me--I who stand to lose my job and hang for less than this.
Sweet-talk about rights you can do, but--
" Anna says, trying to pull free from his grasp again. "If the Hellknights knew of a secret meeting here with such suspicious characters (begging your pardon again)--why would they send a lonely spy instead of burning the whole quarter down? Answer me that, sir."

I'd rather this be said if everyone makes their point said. I'm sure this roleplaying opportunity has a place for everyone to speak their point. In effect, this is not 'canon' unless everyone makes their point known.
@GM: What is the light source in the tavern?

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

Forgot to add a Diplomacy check to convince.

Diplomacy to diffuse tension and convince of innocence: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25


NARRATOR SS MAP/ CoT Map / GS Map / LP Map

@Raveen: The fire is now burning the new log so it is bright and there are sad looking candles lit on the tables.

Janiven watches the exchange between Tal and Anna with amusement. Good old Tal! I knew there was a reason we invited him. But seeing how this meeting is getting out of hand-as they always seem to do, Janiven says, Friends! Listen to me! Remember it is those that prey against the innocents that are our enemies-not each other! I can assure you that this Anna will be vetted and we will find out how she came across Raveen’s note. Perhaps Raveen will vouch for her?

For Naberius:
Vasco informs you that someone is running towards the tavern.

Janiven will not offer any aid prior and the above is said after Anna’s impassioned plea.

Janiven continues to broker the peace and answer questions when suddenly the door flies open and in runs a youth who heads straight to Janiven. Janiven! They’ve got Arael! I ran straight here. Janiven nervously asks the youth, Were you followed? The youth, in his excitement, ignores the question. It was horrible! The dottari nabbed Arael, and the Hellknights of the Rack are trying to get custody of him! There’s a bunch of Hellknights on their way here now! I only just made it in here!

For Tal and Raveen:
This is the same youth that Tal gave the coins to and Raveen caught trying to put the note in his pocket.

For Naberius:
Vasco informs you that a troop of heavily armed men are marching towards the tavern.

Janiven turns to the group. Friends! Perhaps you still have time to leave!

From outside the tavern the sound of armor clanking and of marching, heavy, boots is heard. A gruff voice calls out. You in there! Come out unarmed and with your hands up! If you do, your punishment will be merciful!

The youth thinks for a moment then turns red. I led them straight here didn’t I?

Janiven crouches in front of the youth and grabbing his shoulders says, It is all right, Morosino, The Hellknights and Dottari are a devious bunch, but we will talk later about Master Raveen’s note.

Janiven then runs to the decrepit bar and grabs a longsword. She then procedes to struggle to open a heavy trap door. As the door opens the smell from within is almost unbearable. Friends! This shaft leads to the sewers. We can escape the Hellknights from there! Seeing how some of the group might not like going down to the sewers, Janiven says to them. Trust me, the smell is nothing to what the Order of the Rack has in store if they catch you in here! We don’t have time to lose! Morosino will go first and I’ll go last to close the trap door!


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

Naberius seems only mildly annoyed at Anna and Tal's interruption, but nods appreciatively at the big man for not letting her escape. She could very well be a spy, as said. The man obviously had a good instinct and a strong grip. Those were good qualities in a bodyguard. Just as well, it would not do that Naberius might have to work with some amateur...

As for what follows, he seems to lose track of the conversation about halfway through. He turns his furrowed brow upwards, as if looking at something through the roof. The conjurer seems to be on his feet seconds before the door actually flies open. His cool demeanor seems to crack for a moment, as he frantically looks around for an escape route.

As things circle out of control, he does not have time to ask about a back door, but is pleasantly surprised to find that the rebels already have an escape route thought out. At least they managed to do something right! Naberius quickly regains his composure, and makes his way over to the bar.

He does make sure he is not the first one to go down. Gods know what lurks down there. As he makes his way down the hatch, he wrinkles his nose at the stench of the sewers.

He makes sure to remind Janiven, "I am still waiting for a reply to my offer!"


Male Raven Familiar | HP 12/12 | AC 16 | Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +5 | CMB +1, CMD 7 | Init +2 | Perception +10

Seeing a chance to get back to his master, Vasco flies in after Morosino before the door swings back shut. He settles on Naberius' shoulder before he starts climbing down the trap door.

The raven croaks with a panicked voice, "Caw! Armed and armored! Drawn and quartered! Every man for himself!"

@GM Assuming you'll allow him to catch up. I though I was so clever leaving him up there, but as it turns out, it didn't really matter... :P

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

Anna pales at the mention of Hellknights, and pulls herself free from the man.

Escape Artist: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

"Talk about losing sight of your enemy!" she mutters angrily, breaking free, turning to slap the man on the face.

Unarmed attack to slap the offending man, vs. flat-footed: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Heh. Of course, non-lethal.

"Clear the plates," Anna says suddenly with a severe note in her voice. "The less they know of this, the better."

Quickly Anna throws the bowls over, splashing their contents at the floor, and throwing the empty bowls into (hopefully full) dish basin.

Sleight of Hand to make it quick: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Anna then follows quickly behind Naberius, holding up a scarf to her nose.

"Can we have a light, Mr. Wizard?" Anna says anxiously.

If Naberius wonders how she knows:

"You have a kick-me sign on your back, sir."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

Naberius cocks an eyebrow at the girl, but does not inquire further. At least she is perceptive...

He procures a dried husk of a firefly from his pouch. Crushing it between his fingers, he mutters a few arcane syllables and touches one of the silver rings on his other hand. The ring starts to emit a cool, white light.

Naberius removes the ring from his finger and throws it to the girl, saying, "After you..."

Still not going down there first. :)

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

"Oh, for me? Why, I don't know what to say..." Anna mutters under her breath, looking at the ominous gap.
She gasped audibly, and looked at the ring.

It's almost as if I need it, Raveen thought, with a strange pride within.

Anna then plunges into the darkness, moving slowly.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Raveen ignores 20% concealment from bad light and has low-light vision. So basically, no one will see him, but he will see no one in return.

On the topic--what is with perception dice always rolling bad for me?!


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

The sudden opening of the door and the announcement of the proximity of hellknights causes Tal to slack on his grip. Anna quickly takes advantage and slips free but not before slapping Tal across the face. Tal had been hit harder before so it was not the hit that bothered him. It was the fact that there still was not a satisfactory answer to his question about who she was. A 'concerned citizen' still did not seem like enough to go on but there was no time now to belabor the point. Instead he just told himself to keep an eye on her and if any sudden strange behavior was seen then he would be ready for her. This isn't over yet woman.

Not caring one bit about the table or the dinner, Tal grabs his shield and pack and moves to where Janiven was waiting. Giving her a look as he passes her he mutters under his breath. Seems like we have no choice but to join you right now. If we are found all of our heads will roll. I trust you, but still not that one. Pointing to the hole where Anna just disappeared. This is too much of a coincidence still to me. Raveen does not show up, She does. This Areal gets captured and now Hellknights arrive. the simplest answer is usually the best and that answer lies with her no doubt.

Tal then squeezes through as best as his large bulk and equipment allow. In the sewers Tal fastens on his shield and sets his everburning torch in the shield sconce. Now with light he looks for the others that are coming after him to make sure they are ready to set out.

perception in sewers 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

Naberius illuminates another ring, and stows his cane for the climb. He follows after Anna and Tal, trying to stay close to the latter for protection. In lieu of a weapon, he pulls out a slender ebony wand from within his coat.

Perception with Familiar: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 2 = 18
Vasco's Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

"Lovely..." Monday mutters, her voice steeped in as much sarcasm as her flat expression will allow her to emit, which is quite a lot. After the previous night's encounter with the infernal tin cans she had absolutely no desire to see anymore anytime soon... at least while they were all in a group anyway.

Moving to grab the bottle Janiven had left she will turn to Tuesday before throwing her in Mera's direction. "Lend her a hand if she needs one." Without waiting for a response from either the phantom or the actress she will hustle over and then down the escape route, ignoring the apprehension and bickering the others were engaged in.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Letting a growl escape his lips as the youth mentions the hellknights, a low drawn out reverberating sound that echoed into itself, something that should never have been able to come out of a human's lips, he finds himself moving towards the door when Monday calls to him. Displacing his aggression he will turn to Mera with his arms bent at the elbow and out, like you would if you were calling for a cat to jump down from a tree.


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Wow... Quite a bit to catch up on here.

Mera ponders over the words and watches with intrigue as the discussion devolves into physicality and then, chaos.

Mera rolls her eyes and blows out her breath. She looks pointedly to Monday and Tuesday, "You know. I'm beginning to think spending time with you two is a pointedly bad idea. This is two days in a row now we're being rushed out somewhere."

Putting her hands on her hips she tries not to pout but frowning she adds, "And the sewers? Really? I mean I'm seriously deciding if crawling through filth is worth running from the Hellknights."

Deciding that the hostess is correct and that the sewers are the lesser of two evils she reaches out to catch the bottle and takes the offered assistance from Tuesday without second thought. Turning to Janiven she adds, "You know this is Tian silk, right? I'm expecting to be reimbursed for this due to the security failures. This is not setting a great first impression I might add."

Perhaps I should have just stayed at the opera last night after all! Well, I suppose it could be worse. Seoghal could be involved somehow. Perhaps if she came home smelling of filth he wouldn't try to touch her. That's a bonus, isn't it?


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Gently cradling Mera in one arm Tuesday will deftly descend down into the sewers, making sure not to let anything get on the lady's clothing.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

"Why when the bottle is empty must the drinker blame cute black kitty cats? What have we ever done to deserve such cruel, cruel treatment?" she mock pouts and jokes back to Mera.


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

As it seems everyone is able to make it into the sewers Tal turns to the kid that gave him the note. Alright kid, Morosimo, is it? How do we get out of here? Lead on and I will be right behind you. Something shows up just duck behind me and keep your head down. As long as we don't get hit from 2 directions at once I and my shield will keep you safe.

tal hated to do it and put the kid in the lead but the kid was possibly the only one who had been in the sewers and might know where to go, that is until Janiven caught up. His first responsibility was to get out of this mess alive. After that it would be to protect the kid. He only hoped he could fulfill his promise to Morosimo. He wouldn't be able to tell Lily that he let a kid die down in the sewers. It was bad enough he was going to have tell her about the rest of it.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

Anna presses a bit of cloth to her nose, and looks back at the noise from the entrance. She hides the ring in her closed fist, lowering the light level.

Hopefully, the Hellknights would be unable to divine how many people were in the tavern at the time of the attack, Raveen thought. With so little information, they will resort to questioning in the street--something that can be addressed in good time.

Raveen intends to stay at the edges of sight in dim light, at least 60-70 ft. away (so long as there is still light for him to see with, Tal's Ever-burning Torch considered. He will be stealth-scouting. Later, when the time comes, he will surface and get some Streetwise checks to get a different account of how many people entered the tavern, and how they looked like.

"Oi, tin-man," Anna calls to Tal in a low whisper. "Some of us want to get out of this alive, so make sure to bar the door with anything thick enough."

Perhaps the wizard would have something to make a joke of from that, Raveen thought with a small smile as he looked out to see anything in the dark.

The Inevitable Sewer Level already? I was just joking, GM!
So what does the place look like? Tunnel, intersection, bridge?
Since I got a natural 1 on the Perception check for this room, I'll use the next check for the other room/tunnel/whatever.

Perception with low-light vision: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Oh son of a b@!*&.


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Mera looks around as she hustles through the sewer with her fellow escapees.

Disgusting. Truly? This is not the adventure I had hoped it would be. She places herself between Monday and Tuesday, doing her best to keep her dissatisfaction to herself. She pinches her nose and wrinkles her face, trying to breath in through her mouth. Her voice is nasal from her pinched nose and she says, "When I tell the tale of the heroes who saved Westcrown, remind me to leave this particular detail out."

The girl, what was her name? She had a light but they could always do with another. Mera utters the word to the spell and casts light on Tuesday's weapon.

"Ah, well I thought more light would help but all it is doing is making me sick. Ugh. Probably not the best time to be tossing around introductions, but I didn't catch some of your names? I'm perfectly fine assigning you nick names if you like instead. I'm Mera, but I'm sure you all know that already."

Mera looks over at Naberius trying to place his name.

K:Nobility: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

"Hmm how about Fluffy, Stuffy, and Mouthy?" she says with a giggle.

@Mera: Tuesday's weapons are his hands :3


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Oh. Whoops. Let's make that Monday's weapon then!


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Monday purrs in amusement as her Kukri lights up, giving it a few slices through the dark air as it illuminates itself.

Np :3


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Mera forces a laugh, though it's evident the environment has her a little out of her element. "Why, those would do nicely. I'm fairly certain that I know Stuffy."

Mera wrinkles her brow and whispers, "Wait. Which one are you thinking for Stuffy? I just realized we have different perceptions"


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Leaning in she'll whisper back "That one guy who looks like he's always smelling something bad, even before he set foot into the sewers."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Infernal Binder 4 | AC 16* | HP 32/32 | Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +6 | CMB +1, CMD 13 | Init +2 | Perception +2 (+4 with familiar), Spellcraft +12

"My lady can call me Naberius, if it pleases her," he answers politely, sketching a small bow in Mera's direction. More of a nod, really, considering how hard it is to bow while walking.

He does not appear to find the nicknames amusing, instead giving Monday a withering glare.

"...and if these Varisians are your servants or property, it might be wise to teach them some manners."

Mera Wist-Thrune wrote:

Mera looks over at Naberius trying to place his name.

K:Nobility: 18 + 2 = 20

Probably wouldn't know him on first name alone, since he is not local nobility. At least, not anymore. ;)

Naberius returns the favor, checking the noblewoman's clothing and jewelry for any distinct heraldic markings, and trying to remember a 'Mera' from the book on Wiscrani genealogy and heraldry he carries with him in his satchel.

Perception for clues: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 2 = 11
Knowledge (Nobility): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

Tal flips his gaze to Anna with the light up ahead as she calls him tin-man. I am not barring anyting till Janiven shows up. I will not bar her in when she may be the only way out of here unless that is the only option remaining.

Tal looks back at the other women as they prattle on. In tense situations some cry, some show fear. Apparently these 2 talk. Whispering to them, The name is Tal, not stuffy, fluffy, mouthy or anything else at the moment. Sorry I don't kow who any of you are either. This is not an ideal situation and I do not like this any better than the rest of you but we have no choice but to take this route apparently. Any of you ever been down here before or are good at not getting lost?

Cutting a strip of cloth from his cloak Tal ties it around his head to cover his nose and mouth in an effort to cover most of the stench. That way his hands are free to hold sword and shield.


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Monday merely clucks her tongue as she turns to Naberius, wearing a malicious grin all the while. "Actually, I'm her b%+#+."


Male Phantom Init +2 | Perception +5 | AC16/T12/FF14 | HP 22/22 | DR/Slashing 5 | Fort +4 / Ref +5 / Will +0 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

With Naberius's crude statement Tuesday makes to move towards him but his sister's comment cuts him off, at which point he slumps before throwing his head and arms back, obviously questioning higher powers about certain life decisions at the moment.

Grand Lodge

Male Humanoid (Human) Rogue 3, Wizard 2, HP 43/47 (AC14, t14, f-; +5R,+8R,+6W, Perception +9 (+10 danger sense), Sense Motive +8, Stealth +14)

@Tal: Since J will be the one to close the hatch, that is what Anna meant.


Female Human Bard/5 Init +3 | Perception +8 | AC17/T13/FF14 | HP 47/47 | Fort +2* / Ref +7* / Will +4* | CMB +2 / CMD 15

Mera smirks at the thought of the Dauds being her servants. Well, they could be her servants but alas, they were not.

Quote:
"Actually, I'm her b+#+*."

Mera stifles a laugh and bites her lip. She clears her throat and says instead "Naaa-berius". Mer draws out the name a little more than required. "Why, have I had the pleasure of your aquaintance prior? Or is our first meeting destined to be one of slop and filth?"

Mera scoots up next to the wizard, her curiosity now taken by him for some strange reason. She says, "Thank you Tall. You know for being named Tall you surely aren't that tall. One would think being named Tall you would be gigantic or something. Tell me Tall, will you be protecting us? Is that your role here? I mean one can't help by notice your tall shiel--oh! Is that it? Are you nicknamed Tall because of your tall shield? How CLEVER!

Mera's voice rattles on and on. As Tal mentions, she tends to get a little chatty when confronted with situations that unnerve her.

Mera openly wears signs of her house on her jewelry and clothing. If he's attended the opera anytime in the recent months he likely would recognize her.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
m Human Ftr 5 HP:62/62AC*:28,12,26 Saves:6/4*/5 CMB: +13 CMD: 29 Init: +3 Perc: +10 Link to the spreadsheet

My bad Raveen, I thought you meant now. Yes, Tal can check the latch when and if needed.

Tal resists the strong urge to slam his head against the walls of the sewers or to climb back up to join the hellknights. What god did I piss off this morning to deserve this, Tal wonders as Mera prattles on and on. "The name is T-A-L, not tall. The 'A' sounds like the 'a' in prattle which you seem to... You know what, never mind. I doesn't matter right now. If you want to call me tall go ahead. As far as my 'role' here its to get myself and this kid to safety. If you wish to come, that is your choice. I am just hoping that Janiven has a plan. If not, it is going to be a long walk out of here I am afraid."


Female Human Spiritualist Init +3 | Perception +11 | AC17/T12/FF14 | HP 20/20 | Fort +5 / Ref +2 / Will +8 | CMB +3 / CMD 15

Monday hems and haws as she nods. "I do like Tall better than Fluffy at the moment."

51 to 100 of 4,803 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM RichD's Council Of Thieves Campaign Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.