Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Upcoming Products

Starfinder Alien Archive

***½( ) (based on 8 ratings)
Starfinder Alien Archive

Add PDF $9.99

Hardcover Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Close Encounters

Strange aliens both friendly and fearsome fill this tome of creatures designed for use with the Starfinder Roleplaying Game! From the gravity-manipulating frujais and planet-killing novaspawn to space goblins and security robots, the creatures in this codex will challenge adventurers no matter what strange worlds they're exploring. What's more, player rules for a host of creatures let players not just fight aliens, but be them!

Inside Starfinder Alien Archive, you'll find the following:

  • Over 80 bizarre life-forms both classic and new, from the reptilian ikeshtis and energy-bodied hallajins to robotic anacites and supernatural entities from beyond the realms of mortals.
  • Over 20 races with full player rules, letting you play everything from a winged dragonkin to a hyperevolved floating brain.
  • New alien technology to help give your character an edge, including weapons, armor, magic items, and more.
  • A robust NPC-creation system to let Game Masters build any aliens or creatures they can imagine.
  • New rules for magical monster summoning, quick templates to modify creatures on the fly, and more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-975-2

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF: Will be added to your My Downloads Page immediately upon purchase of PDF.

Hardcover: Unavailable

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7105


See Also:

Product Discussion (655)
1 to 50 of 655 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Community & Digital Content Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Announced for October! Image and description are not final and subject to change.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

These last couple of days have been full of announcements! Very exciting!

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Did not slam the preorder button only because I am going to be on the Starfinder subscription by then...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Very excited to give this a read. Would I be correct in assuming Alien Archives are the "Bestiaries" of Starfinder?

Also, are these creatures included in the Core Pawn Collection for Starfinder?

Sorry if these questions have been answered already!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Foster Hamesby wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming Alien Archives are the "Bestiaries" of Starfinder?

You would be correct.

Foster Hamesby wrote:
Also, are these creatures included in the Core Pawn Collection for Starfinder?

No—the Starfinder Core Pawn Collection is drawn mainly from the Starfinder Core Rulebook.

(If you're the betting type, an Alien Archive pawn collection is safe money...)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Foster Hamesby wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming Alien Archives are the "Bestiaries" of Starfinder?

You would be correct.

Foster Hamesby wrote:
Also, are these creatures included in the Core Pawn Collection for Starfinder?

No—the Starfinder Core Pawn Collection is drawn mainly from the Starfinder Core Rulebook.

(If you're the betting type, an Alien Archive pawn collection is safe money...)

Awesome, thanks! :)


Is this going to be similarly arranged to the bestiaries, for ease of cross-reference?

Also, I will definitely have to purchase this, so that I can make Mos Eisley a Reality (or Quark's Bar, if I'm feeling More Star Trek)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

How many pages is this book?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

It's 160 pages.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Somebody give me a better job so I can buy all the Starfinder things. Like, I want Paizo to take my money, I just don't have that much to give!


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Is this a hardcover?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So, where is the mock cover art from?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

It is a hardcover.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

AmbassadoroftheDominion wrote:
Is this going to be similarly arranged to the bestiaries, for ease of cross-reference?

The entries are arranged alphabetically, but I suspect that's not what you're asking. Can you clarify?


Nice! More beasties with which to play!

Liberty's Edge

Vic Wertz wrote:
AmbassadoroftheDominion wrote:
Is this going to be similarly arranged to the bestiaries, for ease of cross-reference?
The entries are arranged alphabetically, but I suspect that's not what you're asking. Can you clarify?

I think he is asking about the way the monsters are presented, stat block, art, description...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

Well, I for one welcome our alien overlords...

Dark Archive

Will the creatures from "First Contact" be in this or are they exclusive FRPGD creations (for the time being)?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

3 people marked this as a favorite.

The presentation of each entry is much the same as Pathfinder, except where it needs to be different.

Most of the entries from First Contact will be in this book.

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It sounds like the alien environment and equipment stuff will make this different from the bestiaries of Pathfinder.

So, what percentage of the 160 pages will be devoted to this other stuff and will each alien entry be 1 page with just a few exceptions (dragons, demons, etc.) like most of the bestiary entries?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Why you do dis to me?


Very nice!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Assuming there is a subscription will we be able to roll preorders into it?


Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
Assuming there is a subscription will we be able to roll preorders into it?

Yes, Sara Marie answers that here.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

Awesome thank you!


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Foster Hamesby wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming Alien Archives are the "Bestiaries" of Starfinder?
You would be correct.

So are you confirming plans for an Alien Archive 2 a year or two after this product?


Will this book come with rules to convert these monsters to Pathfinder, or is that something we will find in another book? Also, are the playable monsters in Starfinder supposed to be playable on Pathfinder with this conversion?

After reading that we are able to play as a dragonkin I had to ask...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So out 80 creatures, we will get rules for 0HD versions for many of them?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
So out 80 creatures, we will get rules for 0HD versions for many of them?

What else could the 2nd paragraph of the product blurb mean?


I think I need to curb one of my other bad habits in order to continue with this one. Either way, I'm excited to see what's coming.


Profound thanks to Paladinosaur and Vic, your discussion has answered my question. And since it comes out in October, I'll have some birthday money to spend on some books.
the description sound amazing. I will await seeing the final description (and may or may not have copied the current one onto a word doc so I can judge for myself which one I thought makes me more excited about the book)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I mean will all the non-unique creatures get 0HD rules or just some of them?


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
I mean will all the non-unique creatures get 0HD rules or just some of them?

It says many, so I presume not all of them, but a fair number will.


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
I mean will all the non-unique creatures get 0HD rules or just some of them?

You can import creatures from the bestiaries with a little work, and outsiders are still a thing. Combined with the need for terrifying monsters that can stand up to tech-armed heroes (a la Alien/Aliens), it'd be weird for everything to be PC playable.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

Are you able to tell us how many of these 80 aliens are unique to Starfinder and how many are updated from Pathfinder Bestiaries?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

That is an interesting question Opsylum.

I wonder how many actual 0HD races will be in this book, not including the ones that have optional rules as 0HD races.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Other of the things I really want to known is how much these creatures are going to be influenced by technology.

Of course, my greatest question about this book is... Are we going to have 5 futuristic true dragons in this one? That would be awesome! I would call them cyber, nano, toxic, energy, and either nuclear or digital. Dragons that where born from the union between their souls and technology.

Ok... I will refrain from making this huge assumptions...


PF already possesses space dragons for all your space dragon needs.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

I require space Linnorms.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Milo v3 wrote:
PF already possesses space dragons for all your space dragon needs.

No we don't! XD

Space dragons? I was talking about futuristic/technological dragons, and not about dragons from space. That's already covered, as you said.

I know Starfinder sounds as "Pathfinder on Space", but it's far more than simple "we got a spaceship", its more like "everyone has a spaceship and laser guns". So, its far more about technology and "futuristic adventures" than about space alone.

That's why I require futuristic dragons!

And space Linnorms followed by robot Linnorms. *o*


2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Gold Sovereign wrote:

Space dragons? I was talking about futuristic/technological dragons, and not about dragons from space. That's already covered, as you said.

I know Starfinder sounds as "Pathfinder on Space", but it's far more than simple "we got a spaceship", its more like "everyone has a spaceship and laser guns". So, its far more about technology and "futuristic adventures" than about space alone.

That's why I require futuristic dragons!

Who doesn't want a dragon with a laser breath weapon?

That said, I really just want dragons I can fight with starships. It's hard to argue with laser breath, though.

Cheers!
Landon


Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Landon Winkler wrote:
The Gold Sovereign wrote:

Space dragons? I was talking about futuristic/technological dragons, and not about dragons from space. That's already covered, as you said.

I know Starfinder sounds as "Pathfinder on Space", but it's far more than simple "we got a spaceship", its more like "everyone has a spaceship and laser guns". So, its far more about technology and "futuristic adventures" than about space alone.

That's why I require futuristic dragons!

Who doesn't want a dragon with a laser breath weapon?

That said, I really just want dragons I can fight with starships. It's hard to argue with laser breath, though.

Cheers!
Landon

I've personally always viewed the solar dragon as having a laser breath weapon myself...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Luthorne wrote:
Landon Winkler wrote:
The Gold Sovereign wrote:

Space dragons? I was talking about futuristic/technological dragons, and not about dragons from space. That's already covered, as you said.

I know Starfinder sounds as "Pathfinder on Space", but it's far more than simple "we got a spaceship", its more like "everyone has a spaceship and laser guns". So, its far more about technology and "futuristic adventures" than about space alone.

That's why I require futuristic dragons!

Who doesn't want a dragon with a laser breath weapon?

That said, I really just want dragons I can fight with starships. It's hard to argue with laser breath, though.

Cheers!
Landon

I've personally always viewed the solar dragon as having a laser breath weapon myself...

Pff, you call that coherent light? That's covers the visible spectrum and then some! It's all about a uniform frequency and constant phase difference.

... that's what people like about lasers, right?

Scarab Sages

Paizo Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Shisumo wrote:
Did not slam the preorder button only because I am going to be on the Starfinder subscription by then...

Go ahead and pre-order. It will be converted automatically when the subscriptions are available.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There are only 80 monsters in this book, not a lot of room to add 5 new true dragons but still could have some interesting sci-fi inspired dragons of some kind.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dragons definitely are not on the list of "things I desperately need in a monster book for a science fantasy setting", especially if Pathfinder dragons are still compatible

Cyber Kytons...now maybe.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm sure there are going to be tons of options for using and implementing the monsters from pathfinder bestiaries. That would include dragons, magical beasts and all sorts of creatures. Kytons as well, I suppose.

Jokes aside, I'm far more interested on, as I said before, how much the monsters are going to be incremented with technology. I mean, sure robots and other constructs are cool and all, but I'm really hopping to see tons of cyber creatures.

I'm also really anxious to know how were the fey affected in this science fantasy setting, as well as outsiders, of course.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd expect to see a "cyber-enhanced" template that can be added to any normal creature. Add that to the entire Pathfinder Bestiary line and you've got a ton of Starfinder critters to fight.

*looks forward to TPKing the party with a Cyber-Glabrezu*

Creative Director, Starfinder Team

21 people marked this as a favorite.

While it's way too early to answer a bunch of questions, some quick notes:

*There will be a ton of playable races in this book. In Starfinder, that's not the same as 0 HD races. We're taking a different approach in order to try and make it easier to play weird aliens. A lot of it is going to be GM discretional material—we feel it's more important to present a lot of options than to try and restrict everything that could be problematic in advance. That means GMs will have to be careful about what they allow, but that seems a small price to pay to have the option of playing a sentient space slug.

*There will be a fair chunk of equipment and other stuff for players in the book. I don't want to give a percentage at this point, but I will say that the focus is definitely still on the monsters.

*All monsters get 2-page write-ups. It's something I've wanted for a really long time—there's never enough room for flavor for me! That said, a lot of the creatures will have additional stats, race information, and other crunchy bits beyond just a single stat block.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

With non 0HD races, will there be rules/suggestions/whatever for using them in things like Starfinder Society or the APs (assuming they are balanced similarly to the pathfinder ones).

1 to 50 of 655 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo.com / Product Discussion / Starfinder Alien Archive All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Top Sellers
Starfinder Alien Archive
1. Starfinder Alien Archive
***½( ) (based on 8 ratings)

Add PDF $9.99

Hardcover Unavailable


2. Starfinder Pact Worlds

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.