How do you pronounce daemon in Pathfinder?


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


In most settings I find that use the spelling, daemon is just pronounced and used interchangeable with demon, but in Pathfinder daemons and demons are two entirely distinct races, so I assume there's some special way to pronounce them?


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I believe it's "damon", as in Matt Damon. The e being silent.


I've heard "day-mon", but I prefer using "D-mon" for both. An alternative is renaming them into something entirely distinct like the NE yugoloth of previous editions.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The www.pathfinderwiki.com entry on Daemons says "DAY-mon".

But I would be up for a serious rename -- since these are not established with their current name as the other 2 major Evil Outsider (sub)types, but given that "Yugoloth" is probably IP of Wizards of the Coast, and given that they are now the incarnations of horrible ways to die, "Yugothane" seems appropriate.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

DAMON!!!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

It's supposed to be DAY-muhn, but honestly daemon is just an archaic way of spelling demon.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Ashram wrote:
It's supposed to be DAY-muhn, but honestly daemon is just an archaic way of spelling demon.

not really, in the transition from latin to becoming Demon meaning being from hell it lost many of it's older meanings.

Daemon's for instance are what the Greeks and Romans basically called the thoughts in your head. Both the ones that gave you advice and the ones that lead you "astray". It was thought most of the voices in your head came from divine sources, and so they attributed most of them to some kind of entity known as daemons. Your best ideas came from the gods themselves, usually...

so like everything, Christianity rebranded the old belief as something else. *shrug*


I pronounce it da-emon. It's probably wrong, but then I'm not the one who came up with the idea to essentially re-use a word.


DAIMON!


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber

obviously it;s pronounced DY-E-Moa-N.

just like gif is pronounced Gzhaif.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bandw2 wrote:
Ashram wrote:
It's supposed to be DAY-muhn, but honestly daemon is just an archaic way of spelling demon.

not really, in the transition from latin to becoming Demon meaning being from hell it lost many of it's older meanings.

Daemon's for instance are what the Greeks and Romans basically called the thoughts in your head. Both the ones that gave you advice and the ones that lead you "astray". It was thought most of the voices in your head came from divine sources, and so they attributed most of them to some kind of entity known as daemons. Your best ideas came from the gods themselves, usually...

so like everything, Christianity rebranded the old belief as something else. *shrug*

Only for Unix to change it back.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
The Sideromancer wrote:
Bandw2 wrote:
Ashram wrote:
It's supposed to be DAY-muhn, but honestly daemon is just an archaic way of spelling demon.

not really, in the transition from latin to becoming Demon meaning being from hell it lost many of it's older meanings.

Daemon's for instance are what the Greeks and Romans basically called the thoughts in your head. Both the ones that gave you advice and the ones that lead you "astray". It was thought most of the voices in your head came from divine sources, and so they attributed most of them to some kind of entity known as daemons. Your best ideas came from the gods themselves, usually...

so like everything, Christianity rebranded the old belief as something else. *shrug*

Only for Unix to change it back.

I assume you mean how Daemon is the proper term for a program running in the back ground of your computer currently?

yeah, that's right people, you're computer is running several hundred daemons at any given time.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

For the sake of clarity, "daemon" would have to be pronounced differently than "demon" even if both words have a common origin. The alternative would be to spell the word every time you say it, which would be ridiculous.


Does anyone else in the thread realize that this exact discussion has been going on since 1983, or even earlier?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I spell them yugoloth.


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Kirth Gersen wrote:
Does anyone else in the thread realize that this exact discussion has been going on since 1983, or even earlier?

pointing out the obvious here, but discussions on how to say things have been around since people could talk. Hell it might have been one of the first subjects.

Think of all the debate over gif, and how it's obviously pronounced Gzhaif.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Yugoloth is great... but it makes me sort of wonder where the serboloths, kroaloths, bosnoloths and monteloths are.


Well as a kroatoloth myself, I will endeavor to find the others nearby. One of my friends has a serboloth boyfriend, and a bosnoloth is my co-worker.

Spoiler:
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha


Well, multiple online dictionaries all say that the two words are pronounced exactly the same. I couldn't find one that indicates any different pronunciation for "daemon."

Etymologically speaking, "daemon" is merely an alternative spelling for "demon" that was used in antiquity in certain specialized areas.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=daemon


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Bandw2 wrote:
The Sideromancer wrote:
Bandw2 wrote:
Ashram wrote:
It's supposed to be DAY-muhn, but honestly daemon is just an archaic way of spelling demon.

not really, in the transition from latin to becoming Demon meaning being from hell it lost many of it's older meanings.

Daemon's for instance are what the Greeks and Romans basically called the thoughts in your head. Both the ones that gave you advice and the ones that lead you "astray". It was thought most of the voices in your head came from divine sources, and so they attributed most of them to some kind of entity known as daemons. Your best ideas came from the gods themselves, usually...

so like everything, Christianity rebranded the old belief as something else. *shrug*

Only for Unix to change it back.

I assume you mean how Daemon is the proper term for a program running in the back ground of your computer currently?

yeah, that's right people, you're computer is running several hundred daemons at any given time.

A lot of people thing that Bill's last name is Gates. But in truth, it's an expression: "Bill Gates!". And that's how he got them all into your computer.


Kirth Gersen wrote:
Does anyone else in the thread realize that this exact discussion has been going on since 1983, or even earlier?

Yeah to a degree, but Pathfinder is the first game I've seen where daemons and demons are separate things entirely, which makes the distinction a lot more important to make.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Day-mon. Fighter of the Night-mo-

I-I mean, I pronounce it correctly. I hope. XD


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Daemon (Ah-ah-ah), Fighter of the Nightmon (ah-ah-ah)

EDIT: Ninja'd


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rednal wrote:

Day-mon. Fighter of the Night-mo-

I-I mean, I pronounce it correctly. I hope. XD

Always pay the troll toll.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Bandw2 wrote:
The Sideromancer wrote:
Only for Unix to change it back.

I assume you mean how Daemon is the proper term for a program running in the back ground of your computer currently?

yeah, that's right people, you're computer is running several hundred daemons at any given time.

And, they like to fork children!!


Bandw2 wrote:
Kirth Gersen wrote:
Does anyone else in the thread realize that this exact discussion has been going on since 1983, or even earlier?
pointing out the obvious here, but discussions on how to say things have been around since people could talk. Hell it might have been one of the first subjects.
Squiggit wrote:
Yeah to a degree, but Pathfinder is the first game I've seen where daemons and demons are separate things entirely, which makes the distinction a lot more important to make.

The context is D&D, so the 1983 date is not one I picked out of a hat.

Look under "D"

Evidently the answer to my question was a simple "no."


James Jacobs has answered this before!

James Jacobs wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:

Heyo chief! Hopefully you're recovering from the Con.

Question for really no good reason but my own curiosity. How does Paizo intend "daemon" to be pronounced?

In modern English the "ae" (which I'm assuming is "æ") is usually pronounced like a long "e". Obviously, that would make things a bit confusing, what with all the demons running around. I think it's safe to assume that pronunciation is right out...

So, I'm assuming the first syllable is pronounced like "day"?

We pronounce it DAY-mon. It's not technically right, but then again, the creatures they represent are entirely fanciful and not (for the most part) from mythology, so that's fine.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I pronounce it NIHILISTS!! Say what you will about demonic destruction, at least it's an ethos.


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Saldiven wrote:

Well, multiple online dictionaries all say that the two words are pronounced exactly the same. I couldn't find one that indicates any different pronunciation for "daemon."

Etymologically speaking, "daemon" is merely an alternative spelling for "demon" that was used in antiquity in certain specialized areas.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=daemon

ITS PRONOUNCED DY-E-Moa-N!

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's pronounced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KHcSQiVz0

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Daemon is pronounced "Erik Mona."


As in fighter of the nightman, champion of the sun


It's the ye olde spelling for demon so it's pronounced the same.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Eryx_UK wrote:
It's the ye olde spelling for demon so it's pronounced the same.

As it happens, applying that logic to in-game terms isn't a given. Yes, I get it, nouns tend to reflect their real-world counterparts, but in-game the word refers to something distinct and different from demon, so it makes sense that the word would not be a homonym.


bigrig107 wrote:
I believe it's "damon", as in Matt Damon. The e being silent.

I taught him it was "damon"


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Like the Ferengi quasi-military rank DaiMon from star trek.


Generally speaking, I believe it is pronounced "Ugly"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Exterminatus"

It's the only way to be sure.


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Prince Yyrkoon wrote:

"Exterminatus"

It's the only way to be sure.

still doesn't work half the time...


DYE-MOAN

It is closer to the Greek pronunciation.


darth_borehd wrote:

DYE-MOAN

It is closer to the Greek pronunciation.

Classical Latin, too, says DYE-MOAN.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I've always pronounced it 'Yu Go loth'

.

EDIT: ....Ayup, no surprise quite a few folks ninja'd me -- we're correct. 'Yu Go loth'


W E Ray wrote:

I've always pronounced it 'Yu Go loth'

.

EDIT: ....Ayup, no surprise quite a few folks ninja'd me -- we're correct. 'Yu Go loth'

Try that with kids these days, and they correct your pronuciation of "Yugi-oh" and then get confused.

"Die-moan-aze." They just want everyone to die, rather than to have fun with self-centred enjoyments like demons. It's both distinct and an effective mnemonic as to which is which, and one small victory against how Gary Gygax's inability to acknowledge any distinction as too trifling to turn into a completely different monster has cast a shadow over the entire history of the game.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / How do you pronounce daemon in Pathfinder? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.