Emmanuel Nouvellon-Pugh's page

Organized Play Member. 259 posts (262 including aliases). No reviews. No lists. No wishlists. 1 Organized Play character.


RSS

1 to 50 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Is there such thing a circle of protection from evil trap?


Say no. Alot of games go to crap when player preference degrades gameplay. I'm not saying that they are wrong to have a preference but I suggest you might want to edit the campaign setting if this is what will happen.


MAKE A STAFF OF WISHES. RETRAIN AS A SORCERER OF THE ARCANE BLOODELINE.


Move away from grappling. I recommend strongly to use weapons that grant the various CMB feats because they A) make sense and B) grant reach. I find that unarmed strikes make poor vehicles for those attacks.


Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:

Poisons are extremely useless.

Drugs are better.


Cheburn wrote:
Bioboygamer wrote:
At one point during a campaign, a player attempted to harvest the poison from some miscellaneous beastie. I pointed out that the player would have to roll to see if they were exposed to the poison, but the player retorted that, since their character wore gloves, there wasn't any way for the poison to affect them. [Emphasis added]
I'd just like to point out that even for contact poisons (IRL that is), the bolded statement isn't necessarily true. And to my knowledge, Paizo doesn't have any rules about how impervious gloves or other clothing are to different poisons.

There is a substance called blackfingers that does the same thing so I cannot see the flaw in that logic. At 50 gp a dose and a direct application to the hands I'd wager it would be cheaper to make mundane gloves of poison use for 200 gp.


Skooge


If an effect would be imparted by a successful by a damaging attack, the effect is not imparted if the attack deals no damage.


Murdock Mudeater wrote:

Okay, wow. Used the PC in a game. DM of 4 swings, DM hits me 3 times. On the third hit, I ask, what are you rolling where AC 36 is so easy to hit?

Apparently, he was thinking the increased crit threat range on a weapon also means increased auto-hits. Yeah...

Last hit got discounted.

My GM did this when I had high AC... I then used improved crit with a falchion when he said that confirming and 20 only auto-hit weren't rules that were being used.


At this point couldn't they help themselves? Evil is supposed to be selfish. In fact for the interest of keeping the game going I would allow it to be reeled back to where he teleported in.

As a side note, who in their right mind teleports in front of a bunch of armed adventurers completely unaware of what reaction it may elicit?


There is though an armored kilt.


To criting often is better if you grab a crit feat.


Let them retrain their character and explain that system mastery is the primary difference between the player with the rogue and his character.


Curse you System Mastery! A -6 penalty to your Int! Seriously though this game is too durned old for posts like this. Not that I can't sympathize.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I think that a LE Antipaladin would just be a paladin that has smite chaos and detect chaos instead. LE means that you are a team player and I think since Asmodeus grants infernal healing that converting LOH to an ability that grants fast healing would be a better concept.


3. Use a 15 point buy and offer 3 traits because I believe that most monsters in the book are made with a 15 point buy, and the extra trait allows for a more flavorful character.

6. Make it Crystal that while good characters cannot murder anyone that is evil without reason, evil characters may not behave like spoiled children.

7. Better include acting in a civil manner... for obvious reasons.

8. Allow Archives of Nethys because they have references that include the book and page number as a proper citation.

9. I advise that you not allow regional or campaign traits not pertaining to the module.

The only additional advice I can offer is to ban the feat sacred-geometry.

Lastly you should be using a wet-erase marker for a vinyl flip-mat and I find that numbering the grid as a chess board helps me remember where traps may be. You may want to use reusable tokens that can be written on for monsters. I personaly use a set of blank brass tokens from etsy


I would price it as pearl of power and have it made using blood money and the spell needed so that if you use one with a component cost greater than 1gp it gives you a paper cut, and the cursed version of it gives bleed damage that removes spell levels prepared and then causes regular bleed and scurries off with a +15 stealth and finds a place to hide. Remove curse turns it into a single use rescribing scroll.


Post their sheets. Also you may want to look at the rule-book again to make sure that everything is kosher.


Instead of Gods make them Planar Emperors, able to die but nigh invulnerable.


Profession Priest?


Hi, I'm a GM looking for players and I need to know which websites get the most player traffic. I've tried here and obsidian portal but no bites. The cork board at the game shop has been neglected because no one likes obscure systems and has virtually no traffic. I was thinking maybe posting at my university, local library, or comic shop but think that's a dry well. Advice?


Farastu wrote:

I usually have so many players looking to join up that I end up with a waitlist of people.

Lately, I've had a hard time finding enough players, and have noticed that other DMs seem to have fewer people signing up as well. Our local RPG groups seem to be much less active than usual (most of which are Pathfinder).

I believe I heard somewhere that this isn't unusual for this time of year. Is that true? Can anyone else attest to that?

Has anyone else noticed fewer people gaming than usual? Have you noticed it mostly being Pathfinder this is the case for, or tabletop games in general?

I feel you. I'm a player in one game but when I want to GM, crickets.


Add a mirror coating clause where if the mirror is covered with anything the mirror monster must sunder the object before it may attack, and if the mirror that the monster tries to grab through is coated with a translucent substance such as grease the mirror monsters grab attack makes it coated automatically and to notice the coating without witnessing the first application is a DC 25 perception check.

It may be cool to add some errata for symbol of mirroring.


Can we get off of the Gygaxian warpath and discuss how game design changes may help?

I think that I would suggest a customized campaign kingdom builder like kingmaker. The players want their actions to actually matter and be treated specially because they know that they are statistically more advanced than the average commoner. If you give them more control of their environment it helps take away stress from you as well. Loot is not something to withhold from players as long as they are built with a 15 point buy.

Also make sure encounters aren't just a bunch of clones that want to kill the party. By what you described that encounter was very bland and did nothing to advance plot or challenge them in a meaningful sense. It also may help to have less traps and instead add Hazards into encounters so the battlefield is interesting and the rogue cannot complain.

As a last resort it may help to secretly try and make a new group by recruiting online and leaving your players if it pans out.


Side Note: What happens if I smash a petrified troll?


Over the hill
Above the Mantle
First to erect
Last to dismantle


Westphalian_Musketeer wrote:

9th Level Spells: Wish, Gate, Greater Create Demiplane

8th Level Spells: Polymorph Any Object, Orb of the Void, Greater Shout
7th Level Spells: Banishment, Mass Hold Person, Mass Invisibility
6th Level Spells: Mass Bear's Endurance/Bull's Strength/Cat's Grace
5th Level Spells: Permanency, Telekinesis, Baleful Polymorph, Sending
4th Level Spells: Wall of Blindness/Deafness, Greater Flaming Sphere, Ball Lightning, Acid Pit
3rd Level Spells: Slow, Keen Edge, Burrow, Force Punch
2nd Level Spells: ...

You know what? After that I don't know.

Limited Wish?


You made as if to say that one would not be able to use an injury drug with the spear.


Tarantula wrote:
Emmanuel Nouvellon-Pugh wrote:
Tarantula wrote:

That dwarven fire ale isn't a contact/injury vector, and so even if you inject it into the target, it doesn't take effect because its vector wasn't used?

Or that the syringe spear says "typically poison" and therefore you are saying any liquids are allowed?

The wording speaks for itself.
Ok, so you put dwarven fire ale into the spear because ale is most definitely a liquid. What does injecting dwarven fire ale into a creature do?

Nothing.


Tarantula wrote:

That dwarven fire ale isn't a contact/injury vector, and so even if you inject it into the target, it doesn't take effect because its vector wasn't used?

Or that the syringe spear says "typically poison" and therefore you are saying any liquids are allowed?

The wording speaks for itself.


k


Tarantula wrote:
Emmanuel Nouvellon-Pugh wrote:
Tarantula wrote:
Scour doesn't say what it is. Is it a liquid? Is it a solid? How can it have both ingested and inhaled as its vectors? Honestly, the drugs have no description at all, so the GM is free to say they aren't liquids. Maybe dwarven fire ale and absinthe are liquids, but their vector is ingestion not injury. So the spear wouldn't work for them anyway.
If Opium is not Opium then what is Alcohol?

My point was that the only specifically liquid drugs (alcohols) are not injury/contact triggered. They are ingested. Logically, the syringe spear is only good for contact/injury poisons.

Artemis Moonstar wrote:
Spells like Touch Injection would work.

Touch Injection: "You must hold an elixir, infused extract, poison, or potion in hand as you cast this spell." It doesn't say drug, so it doesn't work.

Poisoned sand tubes also won't work RAW, but they might be argued since they can deliver inhaled poisons to also deliver inhaled drugs.

Adventurers Armory pg. 5 "Syringe Spear: The blade of this weapon contains a thin tube or bore that connects to a hollow container just beneath the crosspiece. A successful hit with the spear injects the liquid contents of the container (typically poison) into the target. Refilling a syringe spear takes 1 minute."

Your argument doesn't hold water.


No


Hi there, saw that you guys were playing kingmaker so I wanted to join. I am well versed with pathfinder and won't make a broken or cheesy character. RP is hard for me but I am willing to try. I'm on EST. I want to play a Wizard or a Cleric with some item crafting. Maybe a Dwarf.


Tarantula wrote:
Scour doesn't say what it is. Is it a liquid? Is it a solid? How can it have both ingested and inhaled as its vectors? Honestly, the drugs have no description at all, so the GM is free to say they aren't liquids. Maybe dwarven fire ale and absinthe are liquids, but their vector is ingestion not injury. So the spear wouldn't work for them anyway.

If Opium is not Opium then what is Alcohol?


Adventurers Armory pg. 5 "Syringe Spear: The blade of this weapon contains a thin tube or bore that connects to a hollow container just beneath the crosspiece. A successful hit with the spear injects the liquid contents of the container (typically poison) into the target. Refilling a syringe spear takes 1 minute."


You need you enemies to survive, not wipe out the party. Give them miss chance by using a symbol of mirroring along with false focus, throw smoke bombs, and cast web. This guarantees that the encounter will last longer just based on impediments. Add battlefield hazards and you will be set. Also avoid doing "clone wars" if you are tired of designing complicated encounters. It might be helpful to ambush the party at night as well. If you give the bad guys awesome weapons then feel free to use the sunder maneuver as long as the loot would be significant after the battle. If the barbarian has their great axe broken and they survive the encounter reward them with a better one.


bracers of armor? just sayin.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
blackbloodtroll wrote:
Neal Litherland wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:
Drugs are Poisons, as far as the rules go.
Are we sure about that? They have their own section unique to them.

That was created later. They are now more of a subset of poison.

So, things like "+1 against poison", or "+2 on Craft(Alchemy) to create poisons" and what not, all apply to Drugs/Alcohol.

Why do you think Dwarves have a bonus against poison?

Tolerance!

The "Iron Liver" trait from Adventurers Armory differentiates between drugs and poisons leading us to believe that there is a difference.

This also means that poison use does not function with drugs and explains why the addiction mechanic is disease based. I think it would be better to assume that drugs are a mix of poison and disease rules, but that hybridization does not mean that you can apply any rules you want from either genre without further investigation.


Malachi Silverclaw wrote:

The caster becomes visible at the same moment the attack he's making executes, too late for any enemy who can't see invisibility to fact to.

This is like the rule in American Football, 'the ground cannot cause a fumble', because at the instant the runner is down by contact the play is over, and if the ground causes the fumble then the play is already dead because the runner hit the ground.

If the action taken by the invisible person would break the invisibility, then that action has already completed by the time he is visible.

You lost me at American.

But as a side note isn't the whole "ready an action to attack invisible opponent" trick pretty old by now? Have older generations neglected to pass on the many tricks of D&D? Also why do so many GM's try to make encounters more difficult in the midst of the fight by blatantly cheating? Why can't they wait for the next fight like a normal person?


The Epic Dungeon Master wrote:
One could pose the notion that in gaining absolute power and not exercising it, anarchy and chaos would ensue, thus fitting the MO.

Shape Shifters that rule in a secret society and could wipe out civilization with a thought are druids, not doppelgangers.


Telziri wrote:

So... Is there a save against the effects of drugs? I didn't know drugs were statted out and I don't see an save against any of the effects, positive or negative.

Some of the side effects seem like drugs would be a great alternative to poisons since I am not seeing a save...

The problem is mostly the delivery mechanism. Syringe spears are okay but splashing heroin onto a knife is not effective.


Try the Rockstar class from the Gonzo PDF. Not a Skald but pretty cool in how their "Performance" is a chain of damage dealing and debuffs.


Excuse me sir, but may I partake in that blunt?

Traditionally Doppelgangers like chaos and trickery because they are aberrations. Their MO is laughing at mortal suffering because their minds are so alien that they cannot empathize.


Looking for players for a kingmaker campaign, details are at obsidian portal.


Specific beats general, sometimes falling is beneficial to your cause, choose wisely. Also you specifically should not be expected to do such things. On a side note "legitimate authority" is so vague that any self respecting PC should be able to finagle an argument against it. It also helps to put ranks in K. Local if you must obey the law or linguistics.


There could be a necromancer that decides to jack the corpse since one of that strength is hard to come by unless they kill it themselves. Depending on where you go it could fetch a high price for the sheer strength.


Half-Elf Slayer?


Yes, but only if the succubus is- sorry wrong thread, I'll let myself out.


There is fake plate mail if that helps

1 to 50 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>