[PFS2_Luke_Parry] 01-11: Flames of Rebellion

Game Master Luke_Parry

Maps and Handouts


551 to 600 of 1,918 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Vigilant Seal

LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 18/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

"That is quite the draconian restriction, isn't it," Adalan comments with a studiously straight face.

He takes a few minutes to jot down some notes in his spellbook on how his incantations might be modified to address the recently abysmal accuracy of his cantrips.

Refocusing....

Sovereign Court

To be clear: The area is littered with a bunch of small pit traps, designed to hobble horses (and, potentially, PCs, although Thorax managed to dance through them without any trouble before the start of combat). Nevertheless, regardless, that was plenty to disable them ;-)

Thorax kicks some dirt into the small pit traps, making the area safe for horses, once again!


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"Nobody speaks of this when we get back to Absalom."

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Heh. I thought you would be delighted ;-)

Thorax Toothlicker, Savior of Horses, has a nice ring to it :-P

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

Thorax, you're a nature's friend.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"Stupid birds. Stupid squirrels. Stupid wolves. Stupid horses..."

Thorax continues to gripe as he once again scouts ahead of the party.

Vigilant Seal

N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair adds, "Stupid halflings too." Then he looks around at his allies, wondering if any of them are halflings. He eyes Dashercharliefoxtrot a bit, then shrugs, "Leasta we godda da loots." He pockets the silver and grabs a coupla clubs, shoving them haphazardly into his belt. The other goblin follows along as the cart rumbles forwards.

Sovereign Court

Alright, Mara can declare any healing they wish to do in their next post...

A few hours later, the wagon draws near the wooded archway where the road leaves the Immenwood. The road exits the forest within sight of the sea. The howling wind and driving rain make travel difficult as you continue along, out of the protective cocoon of the forest.

Essentially, everything is now difficult terrain.

A centaur emerges from the forest behind you, holding a staff aloft into the storm. A thunderous voice booms from above as the figure shouts and gestures at the sky.

“Pathetic weaklings! You dare to carry the power of the storm, as if it were a mere bauble? How dare you! I can feel the power of what you bear, even if you cannot! Surrender it to me, and it is possible you may live to draw breath for another day. Resist, and the Storm shall wash you from the earth. Choose swiftly!”

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

Sorry, but where is the Centaur?

Sovereign Court

Behind the party. I haven't put him on the map, since we aren't in combat. If/when combat triggers, *other* stuff will be put on the map, as well.

He appears to be genuinely waiting for a response, although also ready at a moments notice to defend himself (i.e. If you plan to attack, that just triggers initiative, not a surprise round).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"Hey look! It's a centaur,
Half Longshank, half horse!
What a miserable life,
I can't imagine anything worse!

Go away ugly horseshanks!
It's been a miserable trip.
We just wanna go home,
Why don't you just quit?

Otherwise we'll cut your hooves off one by one and sell you to a glue factory!"

Intimidate to Coerce: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 18/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

Upon hearing the centaur begin their demand Adalan whirls around and throws up a circular barrier of force which sizzles slightly as the raindrops strike it. He renews the shield with periodic incantations if the conversation continues long enough for it to dissolve otherwise.

In response to the centaur's ultimatum Adalan shouts, "Who are you, and what claim do you have to this power we supposedly possess? You can't expect us to just acquiesce with so little information!"

+1 AC and Shield Block 5 damage if hit.

Edit: Adalan smiles resignedly as Thorax's song drowns out his attempt at inquiry. Eh, they hardly seemed too open to diplomacy anyway.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Yeah I figured Coerce was the safer, not-immediately-rolling-for-Initiative option.

Worst case they attack Thorax first.

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

The dwarf is thinking that there is still another candidate to a death journey in these woods. That's annoying. But they have to protect the objects.

He's on his guards and answers: By the way, the storm obeys to me.

Envoy's Alliance

Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

I didn't need any healing.

Mara rubs her temples at her companions'...less than tactful responses. "Hello there. I'm Mara. Might I inquire as to your name?"

She keeps her shortbow in hand, although she doesn't nock an arrow. "Please forgive my companions. We were recently attacked by bandits and are somewhat on edge. Unfortunately I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're talking about. What bauble are you talking about, and what makes you think it would be safer in your hands?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can't find anything, anywhere, to suggest that boss monsters would be immune to being coerced, and even with a sizable GM discretionary bonus, that is quite a high roll, so...

The centaur listens in disbelief to the homicidal Goblin with increasing dismay, then, without another word, turns and leaves.

So... that's the end of the scenario.

The rest of the trip is uneventful, although the bad weather and misfortune effects continue as before until the party reaches Absalom.

Back at the Grand Lodge, Zarta welcomes you back and listens to your report. She has a wizard from the Grand Archive take custody of the wagon, assuring the party that it will be thoroughly examined under isolated conditions to fully understand what is going on.

Several days later, you learn that the wax-sealed ebony box contained a powerful artifact constructed from the scale of an ancient brine dragon. Its precise abilities are still unclear, but it seems to be linked to storms, and the sea... and has a curse on it, designed to force those who took it to return it to its right place in its home temple.

Zarta can't resist slightly mocking the members of the Vigilant Seal.

“It’s a good thing that this item came to my attention! Imagine if one of those reckless followers of Eando Kline had gotten hold of it? It would probably have been smashed to pieces or tossed back into the sea. ‘Vigilant,’ indeed!”

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

Good job, guys. We are back with most of the objects.

The dwarf strokes his beard with contentment.

Do we get another one?


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Thorax leans into the old knight and whispers, "We work for Eando Kline?"

Ulthun nods.

"And those wizards work for someone else?"

Ulthun nods again.

"We're still getting paid, though, right?"

Ulthun sighs, and then nods.

Thorax turns back to Zarta, "We don't have to take wagon to temple under sea... Do we?"

Ulthun chuckles.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Zarta raises an eyebrow, and smirks.

"Tempting as that might be, I am going to have so no, at least for the moment..."

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

Mara stares in disbelief as the centaur rides away. Note to self: Sometimes singing about turning things into glue does actually work.

"Good work?" She can't help but turn it into a question. "Hopefully he's not going for reinforcements. Let's just get out of here while we can." Fortunately the rest of the trip is less eventful.

Back at the Grand Lodge, she can't help but smile at Thorax's whispered conversation. "It's fine. We're all Pathfinders. She's just poking some fun, that's all."

Straightening in her seat, she nods at Zarta. "It is a pity we lost a few of the items. Although a curse does help explain why we kept being attacked by random acts of nature. Hopefully the archivists can do something about that. I'd hate to see the Grand Lodge attacked by more rabid squirrels!"

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair yells as the horse-man leaves, thumping his chest at how tough he is, "YEAH, BEDDARUN!"

The rest of the trip, he continues keeping a close eye on their own horses, somehow expecting that they are 'in on it' as the bad luck continues. You hear him muttering regularly, "I waschin you."

Back at the lodge the snide comments about not being vigilant go completely over his head, "OH hey, that Eeyando guy is nice! I worksferhim." He seems proud of completing another mission.

He nudges Thorax when Mara promises more squirrels, "You needamoremeat ferstew? Lady dere say she goddalodda tiny herses."

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Society Quest #2: Unforgiving Fire

The party is shuffled onto a ship, which takes you to the Impossible Island of Jalmeray, to the capital of Niswan. There, you meet with Venture-Captain Rashmivati Melipdra, who invites you to join her in the artifact vault adjoining her office in the Pathfinder Society Lodge.

Inside the artifact vault of the lodge, the heavy brass door that protected the entrance lies charred and smoking in a folded heap, as if blown from its hinges by an explosion. The floor of the large, vaulted chamber is covered with debris not unlike the aftermath of an earthquake; broken and overturned shelves, daises, and display cases, as well as scattered sculptures, paintings, and talismans litter the floor. A handful of Society scribes carefully clean up the mess, sorting through relics while recording observations on scrolls of parchment. Amid them, Venture-Captain Rashmivati Melipdra, a husky, middle-aged Vudrani woman with broad shoulders, kneels down to pick up the shards of a shattered glass obelisk.

“As you can see, somebody did a number on our artifact vault. We’ve been storing several historical relics here owned by the Monastery of Unblinking Flame as part of a standing agreement that I negotiated. In exchange for curating these treasures, the monastery gave the Society access to its archives, trainers, and other resources. Unfortunately, someone burglarized our facility. Though we didn’t have any idea it happened until two days ago, we suspect the break-in occurred a few weeks ago while I was away. Several important artifacts are missing, including an ancient statue known as One-Who-Waits, which I happen to know is treasured deeply by several masters at the monastery. You’ll know the statue when you see it—a heavy basalt sculpture of a monk meditating while sitting atop a bed of flaming coals. I need you to track it down. If you don’t, I fear our arrangement may go up in smoke.

As for leads - I recently received a written message from the captain of a ship called the Obsidian Owl claiming a Vudrani woman exchanged a few historical relics in exchange for passage to Vedeesha, an island just to the northwest of Niswan. There is an abandoned monastery there, that I would suggest you check-out. Ideally, I would like you to complete this assignment quickly and quietly, with a minimum of fuss.

I have already secured your passage on the Obsidian Owl, which will disembark for Vedeesha as soon as you board. Any questions?”


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Before leaving port...

Luke_Parry wrote:
The party is shuffled onto a ship...

"ZARTA I THOUGHT YOU SAID NO!!"

After nearing the city...

"What is that delicious smell??"

After receiving their mission...

Luke_Parry wrote:
“I have already secured your passage on the Obsidian Owl, which will disembark for Vedeesha as soon as you board. Any questions?”

"What is weather supposed to be like?"

Sovereign Court

The Venture Captain looks a little surprised.

"Ummm... Warm and pleasant?"


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"Why was monstery abandoned? Any monsters still live there?"

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair's eyes go wide as the missive from Eando Kline introduces his mission AND provides a ticket for a boat ride. He quickly packs up his gear and bolts for the docks, chanting "boat, boat, boat..." over and over. He constantly bugs the crew during the voyage, asking a lot of questions about the large ship.

The crew is happy to be rid of him, though he looks back at the sea a bit wistfully when disembarking, "Ya tinkwe geddagoback on daboat?"

______________________________________________________________

He intently listens as the new pathfinder lady introduces herself, Vashma Melipdra? Vashmipa Malipo? Vashamira Mufasa? I'll uh just use Ma'am or sometin.

The stocky goblin runs his hand through his hair and it, as usual, springs back unnaturally into shape. He has a new weapon swinging from his side, some sort of sword. But his big club is still blatantly visible strapped to his back.

He nods at the VC's response but can't speak as he is so excited about getting back on another ship, "ship, ship, ship..." It seems his mantra has been corrected as now he knows the difference between a ship and a boat.

He adds a question about an oddity, "No gards here? Das odd, take two days ta deescovah da theft? Insidejob mebbe?"

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

Well, the goblins are always joking and saying strange things. The dwarf doesn't know how to consider their attitude. But the Society thought it was a good idea to involve them. So it should be a good idea.

So we go there. We check the monastery and we go back with the statue. That remembers me a bit of the last mission. Finally the Society loves the artifacts.

By the way, who was the deity of the monastery?

Do we still get the bonus from Thorax boon?

Vigilant Seal

LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 18/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

Mildly impressed by the thinking that must have gone into Bair's questions, Adalan asks, "Does Vedeesha have any currently inhabited settlements, or is the old monastery the only notable feature?"

Sovereign Court

Once again, you have a knack for asking questions that the scenario doesn't cover ;-)

The Venture Captain shrugs.

"Vedeesha used to be an important trade hub, but when the balance of power shifted to Niswan, people left it in droves, and it became a veritable ghost-town, mostly inhabited by bandits, and exiles. As for the deity of the monastery, I do not know for certain, but it was most likely Irori."

She then nods to Bair.

“I’ve been on sabbatical since the last Challenge of Sky and Heaven, living in Padiskar. I and my staff have only just returned. The monastery—well, all of the houses really—suffered… an embarrassment that has cost the support of our more prominent patrons. I’d rather not talk about it.”

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

And how long do we need to go there? Further, you told us the statue was heavy. How much heavy? How can we bring it back?


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"Don't say horses. Don't say horses. Don't say horses."

Sovereign Court

"Assuming a favorable wind? About 5 hours. As for the Idol itself, It is a reasonable weight, but not something a strong man couldn't carry - it is just bulky."

She frowns, and looks at Thorax.

"I mean, you could use a horse, but I don't think you should need to do that."

I.e. 4 bulk, and it can't be 'Concealed'.

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

The dwarf strokes his beard.

I think we can go in this case.

Sovereign Court

The Venture Captain nods in satisfaction.

"Very well then. Off with you!"

The party finds the Obsidian Owl, a vessel used primarily for artifact-hunting expeditions, docked in Niswan’s port district.

Captain Zazzander Scarscale, an affable lizardfolk, greets you.

"It isss impressssssive to sssee Pathfindersss traveling near Jalmeray again given how many of you were ssslain in the war againssst Tar-Baphon! Welcome aboard! Thisss isss Parrot," he says, without a trace of irony, gesturing to the white-furred ferret which scampers about his shoulders.

The voyage is quick, with a stiff breeze hastening the journey. As you travel, you have a chance to talk with the crew about the woman who travelled this way previously.

Captain Scarscale notes that she loaded a large object wrapped in a fur into his cargo hold, which she took with her when they docked in Vedeesha. She also insisted that the crew call her “Master Sanvara” at all times.

A grizzled old salt then butts in:

"Yeah, she was a haughty one, but she had no right to be - I know who she was! She was as a combatant in the most recent Challenge of Sky and Heaven who fought on behalf of the Monastery of Unblinking Flame. She was quickly defeated in the first round by a disciple from the Monastery of Unbreaking Waves, which must have been incredibly embarrassing, given that School was only recently re-founded," he says with obvious relish.

Upon arriving at Vedeesha, you find yourselves at one of the few functional jetties in a town that has obviously seen better days. There aren't too many people out and about, but you can't shake the feeling that you are being watched, and by eyes that are not altogether friendly...

Quickly heading to the 'abandoned' monastery, you find that it is a single-story structure with stone walls composed of basalt and limestone, and topped with a pagoda made of thatched bamboo.

Moving around the ground floor, you find an abandoned stone courtyard, two crumbling shrines to Irori, a massive training yard littered with rusty athletics equipment, and several chambers filled with musty bedrolls. The largest bed chamber has an obvious opening in the floor connected to a set of winding stone stairs, that descend into the bowels of the earth...

...which is where the Quest actually starts :-P


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)
Luke_Parry wrote:
you can't shake the feeling that you are being watched, and by eyes that are not altogether friendly...

"Reminds me of home!"

Thorax will Scout for his Exploration Mode and Search for Traps.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Gnome Sorceress 3 | HP: 35/35| AC 17 | F: +7, R: +7, W: +8; Resist 1 - Cold, Electric, Evil| Perc: +6 | Stealth: +7 | 25ft | Focus: 0/1; Hero Pts: 0/1 | Spells 1st: 3/4; 2nd: 1/3| Active Conditions: Shield Other (Bair).
Familiar Stats:
HP 10/10 | AC 16 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +7 | Perc/Stealth +6; Darkvision

"Relics are the nature of the beast more often than not." mumbles the gnome as they leave the briefing.

On ship #2

Eyeing the pirate with intrigue, she turns to Bair "He knows that's not actually a parrot...right?"

'Eh, oh well. To each their own.' she considers, slipping a piece of cheese inside her cloak where her own rodent gleefully scarfs it down.

Now

"If this reminds you of home, you really need to learn better hygiene."

Glancing around, her eyes fall back on the two goblins accompanying the group. "Oh...right..."

Detect Magic during Exploration Mode

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair excitedly climbs up the gangplank to the ship. "Hello Parrot and Cappin!" He squints at DC for a second, brow furrowed then shrugs.

Eyes opening back up wide at the wonders of sailing, the gobbo starts throwing out a pile of questions using random sailing terms inappropriately, "So we godda noreaster pushin us along righ? I'll take stahbard wasch." He moves to the port side and carefully stares at the side of a large dock warehouse, using his best 'lookout' stance.

_________________________________________________________

Upon arrival, he wistfully disembarks while telling the captain, "Stay close, we bebak soon!"

_________________________________________________________

Once they find the dumb stupid little shack he keeps an eye out for dangers while asking DC, "Who Jean?" He chews a bit on the end of his big club, sharpening his teeth.

Search Exploration mode, +6 Perception w/ Darkvision.

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

During the trip to Jalmeray, people can see that the dwarf has now a tiny plant on the should with which he talks sometimes in a strange language.

As other news he tells his teammates that he can now uses the nature to treat wounds.

When they are then in the monastery, the dwarf moves in Defend exploration mode (with shield raised).

Envoy's Alliance

Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

Mara wrinkles her nose at the musty smell. "Guess it's been a while since laundry day." She falls into step just behind Thorax, looking around curiously. I wonder what happened here? Venture-Captain Melipdra said people had left for Niswan, but that doesn't explain why they left all this stuff behind.

Conscious that they were warned against bandits, she keeps her swords drawn as she examines the area for signs of recent activity.

Investigating as the Exploration activity, although she also automatically gets a check to find traps that would normally require her to be Searching.

Sovereign Court

Heading down the stairs... to A1 on Slide 2.

This stone entryway has open doors that lead to the north, south, and southwest. There is a brass double door to the east that is currently closed and locked.

You hear the sound of people sparring, coming from the south.

Vigilant Seal

LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 18/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

Adalan studies his surroundings and when he hears the sounds from the next room he quietly suggests, "Perhaps one or two of our stealthier members should scout ahead and get some idea of who's sparring so we know whether to go in with weapons drawn?"

Adalan will Investigate for his exploration tactic.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Thorax's ears flatten and he lowers himself to the ground.

Switching Exploration Modes to whatever it is that uses Stealth.

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Envoy's Alliance

Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

"Looks like Thorax and me are up then. We'll be back in a few."

Mara sneaks her way to the doorframe and carefully peers around it, hoping to see who it is that's doing the sparring.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Trying to Avoid Notice.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

That's the one!

And I think everyone else still benefits from the Level Bump + Combat Mentor, too.

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

The dwarf stays in the first room, ready to act, during the time the scouts are doing their job.

Sovereign Court

Moving into A2...

Thorax moves forward like a ghost, and Mara does her best to follow.

The room is filled with several small stone pillars that stand approximately four feet high, each topped with a fire pot containing red-hot coals. Each of the pillars bears a small, recently carved inscription with a phrase in Common such as “Forgiveness is weakness” or “Do not suppress your anger, for it is the flame that burns forever.”

At the southern end of the room, a muscular Vudrani woman clad in tan robes who sports a short undercut that leaves most of her scalp shaved except for a single braid on one side of her skull, stands barefoot atop a bed of fiery-hot coals from an overturned firepot, teaching a pair of muscular Vudrani humans (one male, one female) to hold combat poses upon the coals.

The teacher's voice is clearly audible as she encourages her disciples to “channel your anger to unleash the flaming talons of vengeance.”

She doesn't spot Thorax, but she turns and looks straight at Mara, bowing, and smiling gravely.

"Greetings, and welcome to the Temple of Unforgiving Flame. I am Meleeka Sanvara, the Master of this Dojo, and these are my current Disciples, Yute Kulan and Uskrani Bor."

Mara: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20.

Mara recognises the two disciples as a per of notorious bandits, known locally as the 'Mudclaws'.

"I am currently teaching them the ancient techniques of the Rain of Embers kata, a martial arts form developed by my ancestors to honor the phoenix Pyralisia (also known as the Rain of Embers), who sacrificed herself during the Second Mendevian Crusade to prevent hordes of demons from escaping the Worldwound to overrun Golarion.

When the Rain of Embers was reborn, however, she discovered her allies had abandoned her to die. Enraged, she made patrolling the Worldwound the focus of her new life, hunting crusaders and demons alike.

Similarly, the Rain of Embers kata teaches students to never forget how they’ve been wronged, instead harnessing that rage into martial arts attacks that are often explosive or incendiary in nature."

Mara: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15.

Mara also remembers that Pyralisia was actually corrupted by evil energy pouring from the Worldwound, rather than betrayed by her allies.

She then cocks her head to one side, and moves to look into the entrance hall, gesturing for the rest of the party to move forward (sans Thorax, whom she still has not seen), and bows again.

"I am always willing to take on new students, but first you must prove that you are worthy of the secrets of my Order: You must compete against my current disciples in the Trial of Embers, a series of three challenges. Since the number of my Disciples is two, two of your number may compete against them in each trial (but it does not have to be the same two in each)."

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

Challenges? What for challenges?

The dwarf isn't here for challenges. He's here to pick up a statue and to bring it back. But he lets the others express their own impression about this proposition.

Sovereign Court

She nods.

"The First Challenge is the Cinderpalm Strike: Thanks to the influences of the efreeti who once called Vedeesha home, tiny manifestations of living fire—known as cinderwisps—can be found throughout the island. My ancestors believed the wisps were fundamental to training disciples how to execute the cinderpalm strike, a fiery attack that adds explosive force to an unarmed strike."

She gestures towards the Southern Wall, where a row of firepots have tiny motes of flaming floating about them, basking in the warmth.

"To learn this technique, a student must strike out at a cinderwisp as it floats quickly by, snatching a small everburning ember, called its heartspark, from the depths of its flame."

During each round of this challenge, a PC can attempt a Reflex save, Arcana check (to identify the patterns of the magical creature and strike out at the most appropriate time), or Deception check (to Feint one attack, while reaching out toward the wisp with another).

"The Second Challenge is the Iron Talon Grip: The iron talon grip is used to maintain terrifying grips and hand holds during martial throws and grapple maneuvers. To practice this technique, my ancestors swung a statue to one side, tilting the bottom upward to slam it against the vertical face of a hanging gong as hard as they could."

During each round of this challenge, a PC can attempt a Will save (to force themselves to hang on through the painful vibrations), Athletics check, Performance check, or Warfare Lore check (to recall methodology used by other ancient monks to secure holds and throws).

"The Third Challenge is the Soaring-Ashes Style: This is used in the Rain of Embers kata to allow a practitioner to harden themselves against elemental dangers while performing feats of athleticism. During this challenge, competitors must Leap from pillar to pillar in the room to the far north of here, while holding a small stone bowl in both hands, filled with a glowing, incendiary fluid not unlike diluted alchemist’s fire. Once you reach the other side, you must use what remains in the bowl to light a torch held in a sconce on the wall."

During each round of this challenge, a PC can attempt a Fortitude save (to endure burns on their hands and chest from spilled liquid), an Acrobatics check to Balance (to avoid spilling any liquid at all), Performance check, or a Crafting check (to Recall Knowledge about best practices in handling incendiary substances).

-----------------

NOTE: The first participant to achieve three 'successes' wins that particular challenge for their team. Choose wisely!

Because this part works less well in PbP format, I will ask that each participant in each challenge rolls as much checks as is required to achieve three successes, and then I will roll for your NPC opponents, tallying who actually wins.

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

Mye best value: First challenge +5 Reflex. With a +11 in Will save I could make the second challenge. The third is a +5 (Acrobatics and Crafting).


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"Oooooo..." Thorax emerges from the shadows, clearly enchanted by the glowing embers. "Channel anger... Unleash flame? I want learn! You teach how walk on coals?"

551 to 600 of 1,918 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS2_Luke_Parry] 01-01 The Absalom Initiation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.