[PFS2_Luke_Parry] 01-11: Flames of Rebellion

Game Master Luke_Parry

Maps and Handouts


451 to 500 of 1,928 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thorax, showing... questionable... bedside manners, patches Dranald up.

With the Necromancer driven off, and his minions defeated, the party is able to pack-up the relics, loot, and bodies that they have discovered, and begin the trek back to the Vodavani Lodge.

When you arrive, you see Venture-Captain Evni Zongnoss casting healing spells on, and fussing over, a few Pathfinders whom she and her team extracted during their mission into the Gravelands.

She greets the party, solemnly listens to your debriefing of the slain Pathfinders you encountered, and eagerly welcomes your discoveries. She asks that you return any belongings of the Pathfinders you found, so they can be delivered to the fallen’s families—notably the Pathfinders’ wayfinders.

The documents and texts you return are all of great use to the Society, but the statue in particular amazes Evni, to the point that she wonders out loud the effort required to transport such a thing across the Gravelands.

Evni also offers to either return Larraz back home to Katapesh or to look for more peaceful locations to reassign him. Larraz politely declines the invitation for further adventures, at least for now, wishing only to return home to his family and take a long break.

Scenario over! You receive full rewards, and I will send out chronicles later today, and then get started on the next one :-)

Sovereign Court

Commencing: 1-04 - Bandits of Immenwood.

The party is awoken early in the morning by an urgent summons from Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin. As you arrive, you are shown directly into his private office, where he and the Grand Lodge’s head archivist, Zarta Dralneen, are examining a list of items.

Ambrus Valsin seems deep in thought, a common appearance for the stoic Steward of Absalom’s Grand Lodge.

“Most of you know Zarta Dralneen, I assume?” Valsin begins, nodding to the woman. “She’s recently accepted an appointment as head archivist of the Grand Lodge, so you’ll understand her interest in this assignment shortly.”

The venture-captain gestures to a map of Absalom and then the Isle of Kortos hanging on the wall behind his desk. “You’re heading to Otari, along the southern coast between here and Diobel. One of our transport vessels, a barque called Durvin’s Query, foundered just outside the harbor there a few days ago. It was laden with the artifacts collected from a site in the Mwangi Expanse. The Pathfinders returning on the ship collected the most valuable cargo but were forced to leave the rest. They made their way to Otari and sent word of their misfortunes to the Grand Lodge. Based on their report, I need you to go, pick up the material immediately, and bring it back safely to the Grand Lodge.”

Zarta Dralneen smoothly takes up the narrative. “Of course, it’s not quite as simple as that,” she smiles. “The team aboard Durvin’s Query encountered a sequence of extremely… unusual events as they returned home. Bad luck plagued them the entire trip, and they ran into more than the usual number of oceanic hazards. I suspect that something they picked up in the Expanse was the source of their extreme bad luck, and I’m eager to find out just what it is.”

Valsin slides a weather-stained list across his desk. “As you may know, salvage belongs to the finder, and so we couldn’t just leave the items in the shipwreck for anyone to find. I’ve already contacted an old friend in Otari, a former Pathfinder by the name of Khoumrock Blackthane, to be your advance agent. Khoumrock’s team has gone to the wreck site to collect everything that was left behind—here’s the list. By the time you arrive in Otari, he’ll have it fully packed for you. You’ll be sailing there for speed, but given the experience the previous team had at sea, we feel the safest method of transport back is overland, through the Immenwood and along the High Coast Road.”

Valsin’s face turns grim. “Now, I know this might sound like a less-than-glamorous assignment, playing caravan guard for a couple of days, but it’s important. That material came from an important site, and the string of bad luck the original team had means there’s something in there that isn’t what it seems. Be on your guard, and make sure nothing goes missing on the way back. Any questions?”

The list he gives you is on Slide 2.

Vigilant Seal

N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

A large stocky goblin enters the office. Definitely not typical for a goblin. Bair Mann seems to be some sort of blend of goblin and another goblinoid. But the oily green and yellow tinted skin definitely indicate his heritage. For a goblin, it is quite odd that he has hair, though it doesn't quite seem real. He runs his hand through it surveying the party and it springs right back into shape.

__________________________________________

"You all know Zarta..."

"Yup, preddy leddy at pahdy."

__________________________________________

His eyes glaze over for a good portion of the briefing, but he picks up on enough of it to ask a few questions after he glances at the list, "Godda lodda stuff dere, we gunna need mules'n'cahts. Hohses not gud."

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

The dwarf who is already known by Bair remains practical: My companion is right. Do we get something to help us to carry these gifts back?

Then he caresses slowly is beard.

Silver Crusade

(Thorax's Ally Boon)

*sigh*

The Iomedaean knight reads the list out loud for the Goblins.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"So much stuff! What's worth the most?"

Sovereign Court

Ambrus nods.

"Don't worry - I do not expect you to carry it back. My old friend, Khoumrock Blackthane, should be arranging transportation for you - I believe horses and a cart."

Zarta then pipes up.

"As to what is worth the most, clearly, they are all priceless cultural artefacts; we won't know more until we have had a chance to study them. Please try to get them back here intact!"

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair elbows Thorax whispering, "Guy you gots looks almose dead from allatha readin', yagedda new one when he croaks?"

He turns back to the VC, "Da ship easytagetto?"

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ambrus looks puzzled for a moment, then quickly recovers.

"The ship taking you there should be very easy to get to. As for the one that foundered, you don't need to go there - my friend has already salvaged everything; you just need to bring the artefacts back here, via land."

Amusingly, once again, none of the questions that they assume you will ask, have in fact been asked :-P

Vigilant Seal

LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 12/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

"Can you give us any information on what exactly we should be on guard against?" Adalan chimes in. "Somehow I doubt you'd be sending a whole team of us to escort these artifacts if there wasn't some reason to believe Immenwood presents a degree of danger."

Envoy's Alliance

Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

Mara nods. "While personally I'd love a few boring days playing caravan guard, especially after my last mission, I can't imagine it's going to be that easy. Any information you can provide about the local hazards would be appreciated. Should we be expecting fake Pathfinders, weird amalgamation monsters, random necromancers leading armies of the undead, all of the above?"


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"As long as the horses have muzzles. They can swallow a Longshanks in one gulp! I seen it!"

Bair Mann wrote:
Bair elbows Thorax whispering, "Guy you gots looks almose dead from allatha readin', yagedda new one when he croaks?"

"I dunno," Thorax shrugs his tiny shoulders, "how long do Longshanks live?"

BTW, I find it absolutely hilarious that my spellchecker flagged "almose" and "readin" but not "yagedda". Lmao

Sovereign Court

Ambrus nods thoughtfully.

"Well, the other team was plagued by bad luck: Unfavorable winds. Constant storms. Hull covered with barnacles - repeatedly. Struck by lightning - repeatedly. Clots of seaweed that blocked passage. The crew also had to make several detours to avoid sea creatures of unusual size."

He then grimaces.

"The team now has the dubious distinction of providing the first confirmed sighting of a kraken this close to Absalom in almost two decades..."

Ambrus sighs.

"I would say you could possibly expect more of the same - that said, threats and inconveniences seemed more of the order of Natural problems, rather than Necromantic ones..."


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)
Ambrus Valsin wrote:
"...the first confirmed sighting of a kraken this close to Absalom in almost two decades..."

Thorax leans over to Bair.

"Venture Boss need glasses. Cracks in things all over the place!"

Sovereign Court

Ambrus raises an eyebrow, but otherwise ignores Thorax's comment.

"Well, if there are no other questions, I will let you be on your way."

Adalan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14.
Bair: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18.
Dran'Thor: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15.
Mara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8.

Adalan, Bair, and Dran'Thor all recall that Immenwood’s lumber helped to make Absalom a major power in its early years. The central forest area around Otari is dense and overgrown, with even the paths covered by an intertwined canopy of branches. The forest often shelters bandits and others who choose to hide from civilization.

Adalan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11.
Deshacerla: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23.
Dran'Thor: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22.
Mara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17.

Deshacerla, Dran'Thor, and Mara all recall that Gozreh is the Wind and the Waves, a dualistic entity that embodies the peaceful breeze as well as nature’s fury. Gozren priests often use the natural environment as weapon or shield, and they summon aquatic monsters to do their bidding.

Adalan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25.
Mara: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12.

Adalan recalls that Otari is a small port town situated where the road skirts the Immenwood. Situated about halfway between the bustling metropolis of Absalom and the outport of Diobel, it provides access to most modern luxuries without the hustle and bustle of life in Absalom.

Sovereign Court

The journey to Otari takes the better part of the day, in part due to the rough seas and strong winds blowing in toward shore.

Adalan: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23.
Bair: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16.
Deshacerla: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21.
Dran'Thor: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12.
Mara: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21.
Thorax: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12.

Luckily, everyone has apparently already been sailing, and no-one suffers from sea-sickness.

Waiting for you at the dock at Otari is a rather unusual dwarf - a salty old sea dog with a nose reddened by years at sea (and perhaps a drink too many) who looks like he’s had little sleep in the past few days. His armor appears to be a suit of full plate heavily modified and integrated with a mechanical diving suit.

"Ah! Ye lot would be the crew that Ambrus sent. Come with me - we can have a pint at the Thirsty Alpaca Tavern, and then ye can be on your way."

He takes you to the tavern without incident, and gratefully settles down to enjoy a pint.

Khoumrock swirls the dregs of a mug of beer as he tells his tale. "“When Ambrus called me, I got a few friends an’ went right out to the wreck. We gathered everythin’ we could find. The storm already dashed the hulk again’ the rocks and broken her open, but most o’ the crates were washed ashore. I dove in to make sure she weren’t leaking any cargo, but the waves were rough and things were movin’ down that weren’t just the water and fishies!” He frowns as he recalls the night’s efforts.

“The sky opened up as soon as we started packin’. The horses were half-mad wit’ the lightnin’ and the wind. It took all o’ night and part o’ the morning to collect everythin’, and we nearly lost the wagon to a big wave what came a-crashin’ onto the shore from out of no’ere. The storm followed us all t’way back to town. So did summat else – as we got t’the town gate, we saw summat long and snakish breakin’ the waves out in the harbor. I didn’t get a good look, ‘cause the watchtower was struck by lightnin’ just then and it blinded me for a tick. When I looked back, it were gone.” Khoumrock looks to the ceiling in thought. “Apparently, we lost a fisherman out towards the docks right thenabouts. Coulda been an accident, but I knows better.” Khoumrock shakes his head again. “Might be time for me to do a little divin’ out thar, clean things out, ya know?”

He then shrugs.

“Well, the wagon’s all packed and ready to go by t’stable. S’easy enough to drive. Good luck. I’ll be glad to see that wagon roll out o’ town, truth be told.”

With that, he leads you out to the stable, where you find you wagon, and two horses.

The wagon is made of wood with a canvas cover over the cargo compartment and has room in front for two Medium creatures to sit (one of whom is the driver). The horses seem a little skittish, but not overly so, and apart from the blustery weather outside, and the slightly off-putting croaking of a lot of frogs, who appear to be enjoying the inclement weather, the place is quiet...

Let me know who is going to drive, and who is going to ride shotgun.

To be clear: Nature is the relevant skill to command the horses.

Envoy's Alliance

Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

"Thank you for packing everything, Khoumrock." Mara drinks her own pint as she considers his tale. "It certainly sounds like something on that wreck is cursed. This will likely be an interesting journey." As in the old Tian curse, 'May you live in interesting times.'

Once out at the wagon, she eyes the horses warily. "Dran'Thor, given how good you were with Desert Wind I think you're the best option to drive. I'll ride next to you with my shortbow out in case we run into trouble."

Calling shotgun. Also, I'll have my shortbow drawn while we ride.

Vigilant Seal

N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair enjoys his couple ales, "No needda talkabout da bad luck, bad luck to do so." He thinks for a second. Then a second more. Then starts looking around as if he just realized something. Then orders another ale. He is suspiciously quiet until they get to the horses and cart.

"Fahgeddabout dis, I ain't goin nowheres near dem animals. I'll take points." Thinking about those horses chomping down on his backside he reconsiders, "Er... I'll watcha our backs."

Wary about dangers, his greatclub is out and ready to thwack anything that jumps out at him. He follows the group at a safe distance.

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

The dwarf lifts an eyelid. ok, I will take the driver position. Be ready guys, we're going on.

He was pleased that Mara remembered his past deeds.

Bair, you can go a bit in front so you can alert us if there is something wrong.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Thorax occupies himself with running circles around the caravan, staying clear of the horses, and having too much fun catching and eating frogs.

Vigilant Seal

LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 12/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

Before the caravan gets going Adalan quickly scans the wagon for magical auras. If he detects anything he asks the party to allow him time to study the cargo in hopes of discovering the items’ properties and better understanding the curse which seems to follow them (or simply sits in the back of the wagon conducting his investigations while it moves if that’s an option).

If the cargo turns out to be wholly mundane, Adalan walks in front of the wagon, absently watching Thorax’s antics as he tries to feel any magic up ahead before the caravan reaches it.

Sovereign Court

Speaking of the frogs...

As the party gets ready to leave, the frogs' calls get louder, and more insistent...

...until thousands of them spring out of nowhere, frantically trying to jump up on the wagon!

Frogs: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16.
Adalan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12.
Bair: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17.
Deshacerla: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14.
Dran'Thor: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17.
Mara: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22.
Thorax: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21.

Kermit's Revenge, Round 1:

Mara
Thorax
Dran'Thor
Bair

Frogs
Deshacerla
Adalan

Mara, Thorax, Dran'Thor, and Bair are up!

Mara and Thorax notice that, although the frogs try desperately to jump on the wagon, a few of them also fall off... and when they do so, they are stunned for a moment, and then run away.

Consequently, it might be possible to just push them off.

Translation: Three consecutive actions per group of frogs.

I am also running this 'combat' theatre of the mind. Suffice to say, you are all adjacent to the wagon at this point, and therefore adjacent to the frogs.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

What types of actions can we do?

Sovereign Court

Umm... physically push them off by hand (or with a broom)? Failing that, you can just attack them normally...?


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Thorax places his chin against the base of the canvas, opens his mouth wide, and shakes the wagon vigorously.

Vigilant Seal

N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair starts playing whack-a-frog, punting them off the wagon. "See! Shouldagodda mule."

Greatclub Shove: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Greatclub Shove: 1d20 + 7 - 5 ⇒ (10) + 7 - 5 = 12

Greatclub Shove: 1d20 + 7 - 10 ⇒ (12) + 7 - 10 = 9

Vigilant Seal

CN Gnome Sorceress 3 | HP: 35/35| AC 17 | F: +7, R: +7, W: +8; Resist 1 - Cold, Electric, Evil| Perc: +6 | Stealth: +7 | 25ft | Focus: 0/1; Hero Pts: 0/1 | Spells 1st: 3/4; 2nd: 1/3| Active Conditions: Shield Other (Bair).
Familiar Stats:
HP 10/10 | AC 16 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +7 | Perc/Stealth +6; Darkvision

Keeping her thoughts to herself, the odd gnome silently follows the group...zombi-ish in her demeanor until the sudden and inevitable betrayal of the Frogs!

Here and ready for the antics of our dual-goblins.


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

As Bair bats them off, Thorax uses his mouth like a catcher's mitt, jumping and running and sliding around the wet field.

When his mouth inevitably gets comically full, Thorax pulls out sack after sack (he has five for just this sort of occasion!) and starts filling them to the brim!

"Always *chomp* dreamt *gulp* of this *smack* coming true!"

Sovereign Court

Thorax shakes the wagon vigorously, displacing one swarm, then Bair plays whack-a-frog, displacing the other.

Following this, Thorax starts chasing them around the stable, until even *his* belly is full.

The party is then able to depart town without any further issues.

After leaving Otari, the party travels north into the Immenwood to join up with the main road heading east to Absalom. The road is well maintained and broad, with a 15-foot lane of muddy cobblestones lined by 10 feet of cleared area between the road and the tree line. The trees are mostly coniferous, with a tangle of interlocking branches and thick undergrowth making passage through the forest very difficult.

The road is still slick with mud, but the rain seems to have finally abated. The view of the sky is limited to a narrow strip above the road, lined with the spreading boughs of the Immenwood. Thunder still rumbles above the trees, and the sky looks as if it may continue the deluge at any moment. The normal sound of forest animals has been replaced by a cacophony of hoarse cries, growls, and screams. It is clear that the residents of the Immenwood are not happy to see visitors.

At this point in time, with synchronised keening cries, two giant ospreys, the size of horses, swoop down over the forest, making a bee-line for the wagon!

GO: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27.
Adalan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25.
Bair: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8.
Deshacerla: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24.
Dran'Thor: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8.
Mara: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22.
Thorax: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24.

Talon: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27, for 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10.

The first Osprey dives forward, its talons ripping the cover off the wagon! It then picks up some of the loot.

The second one moves forward, picks up a piece at random, and then starts flying away again.

When Giant Birds Attack, Round 1:

Giant Ospreys
Adalan
Thorax
Deshacerla
Mara
Dran'Thor
Bair

Party is up!

Slide 3.

Envoy's Alliance

Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

Mara's caught somewhat off guard from the surprise attack. Look up. Always look up. Why wasn't I looking up?! She steps away from the wagon, and more importantly away from the gigantic bird.

Luckily she already has her shortbow out. Unluckily one of the birds is already just out of range. Can't let it get away...guess I'll just have to try to hit it anyway.

Shortbow, Combat Mentor, Range Penalty: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 - 2 = 14
P. Damage, Combat Mentor: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Shortbow, Combat Mentor, MAP, Range Penalty: 1d20 + 2 + 7 - 5 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 7 - 5 - 2 = 3

Step, Strike, Strike

Vigilant Seal

N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair grunts a few complaints as he very angrily swings his club at the near creature, "STUPID HOSSES! HOSSES ON WAGON, HOSSES MAKIN NOISE IN JUNGLE, FLYING HOSSES!" He seems to have finally lost his calm.

Rage, Strike, Strike, AC back to 18.

Greatclub + C.M.: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 2 = 29 for B + Rage + C.M.: 1d10 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 12 x2 = 24 damage

Greatclub + C.M. - MAP: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 5 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 2 - 5 = 13 for B + Rage + C.M.: 1d10 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 13


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Thorax's eyes grow big, but not with fear.

"Biggest. Chickens. Ever," he practically quivers with excitement. When he realizes what they're doing, he runs around the wagon and tries to scare them off.

Stride, Goblin Song, Intimidating Glare.

"Hey you chicken, come down here!
Thorax Toothlicker wants you near!
Bleed you! Cook you! Eat you whole!
I want trophy! Need your skull!"

Performance (singing): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

Intimidate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

If the others wouldn't have hurt the big bird with different weapons, perhaps the druid would have had a chance to command the animal to go away without taking anything from the wagon. Now it should be a little bit harder to convince the animal to act so...

If the horses need something to stay quiet I do it. Otherwise:

The dwarf cats a Tempest surge on the red one.

Tempest surge: 1d12 ⇒ 2 Reflex DC 17+1 C.M. If failed clumsy 2 for 1 round and 1 HP permanent eletricity damage

Then he raises his shield.

Sovereign Court

Mara quickly steps away, and fires a brace of arrows at Big Red... but they go wide.

Bair, on the other, deals it a devastating blow, causing it to squawk in protest.

Thorax then thoroughly intimidates the poor creature.

Reflex: 1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 11 - 1 = 12.

Dran'Thor, not to be outdone, summons a small storm cloud, which electrocutes the bird...

When Giant Birds Attack, Round 1:

Giant Ospreys (-, -26 Clumsy 2 (1 rd.), Persistent Electricity 1 & Frightened 1)
Adalan
Thorax
Deshacerla
Mara
Dran'Thor
Bair

Adalan and Deshacerla are up!

Vigilant Seal

LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 12/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

Figuring that the airborne bird and its stolen cargo are probably a lost cause, Adalan focuses on the put-upon osprey near the wagon. With a series of gesticulations and arcane mutterings, he conjures three rapidly spinning spheres of orange light above his head and flings them at the giant bird.

Magic Missile Damage: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 3, 3) + 3 = 11

Verbal Casting, Verbal Casting, Somatic Casting


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

Was the Goblin Song a critical success?

Sovereign Court

@Thorax: No, it was *not* a critical success.

Adalan throws a trio of force missiles at the bird, causing it to squawk in protest.

Deshacerla follows that up with a Harm...

Harm: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9.

Will: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Which, although the bird keens in pain, doesn't drop it.

Both giant Ospreys then disappear into the forest.

Combat over.

1d20 ⇒ 14
1d19 ⇒ 1

Surveying the damage done, you discover that the ivory carving of a lightning bolt is gone, as is the pile of Pathfinder drawings, notes, and rubbings.

Sovereign Court

As the last bird flees, a bolt of lightning announces the resumption of the storm, and soon the road is again slick with mud. As the road narrows, the branches of the Immenwood’s tall oaks almost enclose the road like a tunnel, providing some shelter from wind and rain but lowering the light level to dim light. The rain deadens the sounds of enraged animals slightly, although the party still spot the occasional manic squirrel or enraged rabbit along the roadside.

About an hour later...

The rain funnels through the thick foliage of the Immenwood, falling in miniature waterfalls from the branches above. The animals seem to have quieted somewhat, with fewer enraged howls and unsettling cries echoing through the canopy. As the wagon approaches a slight bend in the road...

Adalan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23.
Bair: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10.
Deshacerla: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24.
Dran'Thor: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10.
Mara: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13.
Thorax: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28.

...Adalan, Deshacerla, and Thorax each spot a subtle twitching in the bushes beside the road, before a large tree falls down, blocking the path!

You may each take a *single* action, before initiative kicks off.

RSS: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16.
Adalan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20.
Bair: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8.
Deshacerla: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13.
Dran'Thor: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21.
Mara: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22.
Thorax: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11.

Suddenly, three mobs of crazed, rabid squirrels break from the foliage, and frenziedly head in your direction!

Squirrels' Revenge, Round 1:

Mara
Dran'Thor
Adalan

RSS (-,-,-)
Deshacerla
Thorax
Bair

Slide 4.

Mara, Dran'Thor, and Adalan are up!

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

The druid tries his best to calm down the squirrels.

We are not here to fight. We are here in peace. With you and with all the animals of the forest. Don't harm us please. And don't steal anything from us. We can give you something to eat.

He gives a ration and hope to be heard.

Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

I don't know if there is more wild empathy. In this case replace +7 by +2.

Sovereign Court

Dran'Thor is confident that, if these were normal squirrels, he would have had a good chance of calming them down, even rabid as they are... however, some other, outside influence is driving them into a demented frenzy, which food and calm talking just can't overcome.

That was a good roll, but unfortunately, it doesn't work in this situation :-/

Squirrels' Revenge, Round 1:

Mara
Dran'Thor
Adalan
RSS (-,-,-)
Deshacerla
Thorax
Bair

Mara and Adalan are up!

Vigilant Seal

LG male human wizard (illusionist) 4 | HP 12/36 | AC 18 | F +6, R +7, W +10 | Per +8 | Focus 1/1 | Hero 1/3 | Active Spells: mage armor

When Adalan notices the twitching, he hastily pulls his fire scroll from its case, hunching over slightly to shield it from the downpour.

Upon seeing the squirrels and noting their distance from the wagon, he seemingly causes a host of thorny blue tentacles to burst from the soil across the squirrels' path and begin thrashing aggressively.

"Just an illusion to slow them down!" Adalan shouts over the sound of the rain.

Interact to draw his scroll of burning hands, then Somatic Casting, Somatic Casting, Verbal Casting for a three-action warped terrain.

Once this combat is over, did Adalan's earlier attempt at investigation yield any information about the party's cargo?


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)
Luke_Parry wrote:
You may each take a *single* action, before initiative kicks off.

Thorax readies to Quickdraw/Strike if an enemy comes within Melee reach.

+1 striking shortsword: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Slashing: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 1) + 4 = 10

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

"First the birds, which were annoying enough. Did they have to steal the notes? Now this?" Mara fires a shot at the nearest squirrels, hoping to do at least a little damage. "You know, at this rate I'm going to develop a phobia of all things nature-related."

Shortbow Strike, CM: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 2 = 21
P. Damage, CM: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy weekend.

Sovereign Court

Adalan waggles his fingers, causing a rather frightening display to erupt in front of the swarms!

They react in moderate confusion, tails lashing angrily.

Mara then shoots at the swarms, and whilst she skewers one squirrel, it makes no difference to the horde.

Translation: In this edition, swarms are 'resistant' to physical damage (a.k.a. DR) - Mara didn't clear that.

Pouring around the exterior of the be-tentacled area, each of the swarms makes a bee-line for the cart.

Once again, in this edition, swarms *do* do automatic damage, but they have to take 'actions' to do so. Thanks to Adalan's quick thinking, they all had to use their actions to *only* move, in order to get in range.

When they close, Thorax takes a swing, slicing up several squirrels!

Squirrels' Revenge, Round 1/2:

Deshacerla
Thorax
Bair
Mara
Dran'Thor
Adalan

RSS (-4,-,-)

Party is up!

@Adalan: Yes, I'm sorry - I missed that. FWIW, I will give you that info after the combat; if it is any comfort, it wouldn't have changed how things have gone thus far...


CN Goblin Rogue (5) | Max HP: 61 | AC: 23 (+1 vs Traps, Resist 1 cold/electricity) | Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+2 if Ingested; +1 vs Traps) | Perception +11 (+1 vs Traps; Darkvision) | See profile for skills | Speed 25 ft. (Goblin Scuttle)

"Where is Fumbus when you need him most?"

Thorax attacks the squirrels with all the gusto he can muster!

+1 striking shortsword: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
Slashing: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 3) + 4 = 12

+1 striking shortsword: 1d20 + 11 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 11 - 4 = 22
Slashing: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 2) + 4 = 9

+1 striking shortsword: 1d20 + 11 - 8 ⇒ (15) + 11 - 8 = 18
Slashing: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 5) + 4 = 11

Envoy's Alliance

Female NG Human Rogue 4 | HP: 38/40 | AC: 22 (+1 vs Traps)| Fort +6, Ref +12, Will +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Perception +8 (+1 vs Traps) | Speed 30 ft. | Hero Points 1/1

Being surrounded by small furry creatures with teeth is not somewhere Mara wants to be. Particularly when it seems she can't actually harm the damn things. She backs out of the whirling cloud of furious rodents, dropping her shortbow as she goes. Fire. Animals hate fire, don't they? She pulls her torch and flint out of her pack. Maybe this will scare them away.

Actions: Step, Drop Bow (free), Interact (retrieve torch), Interact (retrieve flint and steel).

Vigilant Seal

CN Gnome Sorceress 3 | HP: 35/35| AC 17 | F: +7, R: +7, W: +8; Resist 1 - Cold, Electric, Evil| Perc: +6 | Stealth: +7 | 25ft | Focus: 0/1; Hero Pts: 0/1 | Spells 1st: 3/4; 2nd: 1/3| Active Conditions: Shield Other (Bair).
Familiar Stats:
HP 10/10 | AC 16 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +7 | Perc/Stealth +6; Darkvision

The gnome takes aim at the beasts and fires off an arcing bet of electricity from her hands.

Electric Damage 1: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Electric Damage 2: 1d4 ⇒ 1

basic reflex save DC 17

Spell casting action = Electric Arc

Vigilant Seal

N Male Goblin (Laborer) Barbarian 4 | Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | HP 58/60 (6/6 temp HP, falls do 1/2 damage) | AC 21, Sleeping 19 (Raging AC -1, rarely FF) | F/R/W +10/+8/+8 (Elect & Cold Resist 1, Evil Resist 2, Feat helps vs. Fear/Sickness) | Perc +8 w/ Darkvision (Imprecise Scent 30 when raging) | Stealth +8 | Speed 25 | Placeholder | Hero Points: 1/1 | Active Conditions: Rage Tracking 9 Rds Remain, +1 vs. Poisons & Diseases

Bair watches the creatures swarming forwards, "Dem ehn't horses... or are they just tiny ones! DIE LITTLE BEASTS!!!"

He hacks away with his club, swinging it wildly back and forth.

Greatclub + CM: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 2 = 22 for B + CM: 1d10 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 = 8

Greatclub + CM - MAP: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 5 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 2 - 5 = 6 (+1 if prior swing misses) for B + CM: 1d10 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11

Greatclub + CM - MAP: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 10 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 2 - 10 = 0 (+1 if prior swing misses) for B + CM: 1d10 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 1 = 7

Verdant Wheel

Male Dwarf Druid 4 (Storm Druid) / HP 54/54 (DR 1 bludgeoning), Perc +12, AC 20 (+2 with shield), Fort +10 Ref +7 Will +12 / Spells 1st 3/3, 2d 3/3 / Focus points 2/2, / Active conditions: Darkvision, Rock Dwarf, Resist cold and electricity 1

The dwarf takes his battleaxe and sweeps on two squares of squirrels.

Battelaxe 1: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23

Damage 1: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 = 5

Battelaxe 2: 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 2 - 4 = 17

Damage 2: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 1 = 4

Sovereign Court

In a frenetic frenzy of finesse and fury, Thorax obliterates the swarm surrounding him, then takes a swing at the next closest one, killing several squirrels.

Deshacerla then electrocutes several of them.

Mara gets ready to light a torch.

Bair clubs a few squirrels, thinning out the swarm next to him.

Dran'Thor hits twice, each time annihilating a single squirrel (i.e. did not clear the resistance to physical damage).

Squirrels' Revenge, Round 1/2:

Deshacerla
Thorax
Bair
Mara
Dran'Thor
Adalan
RSS (-8,-1)

Adalan is up!

451 to 500 of 1,928 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS2_Luke_Parry] 01-01 The Absalom Initiation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.