Hells Rebels

Game Master Daniel Penfold 351

In the city of Kintargo, there are those who seek to overthrow House Thrune.

The Proclamations

Treasure List

Notes

Maps

images


751 to 800 of 1,247 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>

Kira, you find, near the wall of the alley you find a single tooth. It appears to have been ripped from the victim's mouth using a pair of pliers


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Rutilus looks around the site of the murder, looking for anything that can help them catch who did this.

"A small area would probably work to our advantage. It means whoever is doing this knows the area and probably has a link to the area."


Rutilus, you notice that their appears to be a set of bloody pliers hidden under some rubble.

You can make a knowledge nature check


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

"There's a tooth over here." Kira backs away in disgust. "It looks like it was ripped out, not knocked out. Is our killer collecting teeth for some reason? Why?"

I think Baolo is the only one of us with K. Nature.


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

Rutilus nudges some debris away from an object before crouching down to examine it. "I think I found what ripped out the tooth. Don't know why they would be collecting teeth. Maybe a ritual of some sort? Magic is bit beyond me. Then again... the killer could just be sick in the mind."

Untrained K. Nature: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 2/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

Pellius looks honestly shocked for a moment by his companion's discoveries before composing himself once more. Mustn't show fear.

"Either option seems... dubious. If the killer was collecting them, why leave both implement and tooth behind? If for a ritual, why leave the component, unless they got the wrong tooth first by accident? Perhaps the killer was just causing pain for its own sake? Prior to the kill?"

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara resists a sudden impulse to run a protective hand over her own mouth.

“That would be exquisitely cruel,” she considers, “Deliberate, contemptuous – I can’t imagine trying it against someone in any condition to fight back – and almost certainly unnecessary. I don’t know of any ritual uses for particular teeth from ordinary people. Though there are traditions with which I’m less familiar.”

Untrained K. (nature), if it’s not too long a shot: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22


Adonara you have heard of a type of fey known as tooth fairies that pull out their victims' teeth in such a manner.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara’s brow furrows (only briefly, of course, but shockingly, nevertheless!) in concentration, and then fragments of some of those traditions fall into place.

“Has anyone ever had occasion to consider orcish folklore? I wouldn’t blame you if you haven’t, but they have stories about the Happy Fellow, an elf who comes at night to eat up little orcs who smile too much. Rubbish, naturally, but if you’ve ever had to reassure someone that…”

“At all events, more reliable sources say there are some kinds of fey that do collect teeth. I’m afraid I can’t recall much more than that, but it’s the best explanation I have at the moment. At a guess, we should be on guard for enchantments and expect resistance to any blade that’s not cold iron, if my own people’s fairy stories are any more accurate, in general.”

“Perhaps the other sites where attacks took place will turn up more clues,” she says.


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

At Adonara's words, Rutilus briefly glances down at his blade in his scabbard. "All these demons and fey, I need to see if I can find a cold iron falcata." He mutters to himself briefly before refocusing at the task at hand.

"Adonara is right. We should move on to the next crime scene. At least now we have an idea of who or what we are looking for."


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

Fey creatures that collect teeth?! Kira shudders. She'd had nightmares about her teeth falling out one by one. The thought of having them pulled out by one of those pliers...her hand instinctively goes to cover her mouth.

Close to Rutilus as she is, she hears his mutter and thoroughly agrees with it. "We should probably go shopping for cold iron weapons once we're done looking around. Even if it's just a dagger." Her hand again goes to her mouth. "And maybe some sort of face mask or something."


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 2/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

As they move forward, Pellius thinks out loud.

"Fey huh. Seems rather exotic, but then that has seemed to be the new normal of late. Still, perhaps our new friend from the tavern might be able to help us better identify this new threat."


As you examine the most recent murder site a young tiefling woman approaches you.

"Have you come to help? My name is Zea and I am the unofficial spokesperson for the area."


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

Kira stands up straighter and smiles at the young woman. "Hi Zea. I'm Kira. As a matter of fact we have come to help. We heard some people had died in this area and that the dottari weren't doing anything about it." She looks at Zea curiously. "Do you have any information about the murders? Is there some sort of pattern to them? When did they start?"

Realizing she's just thrown a barrage of questions at someone who may very well have lost friends or family to this fiend, she blushes. "Sorry. I do understand it may be difficult for you to talk about."


"The murders began about 3 nights ago. They all seem to happen at night. We tend to stay indoors at night now to stay safe. Our leader Strea Vestori is missing. She founded a society called the Cloven Hoof, of which we are all members with the aim of fighting for the rights of all tieflings. However, she went missing on the Night of Ashes and we have not seen her since.

Since that night Thrune has made our life increasingly difficult, raising taxes and barring us from certain occupations and activities."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

“Somehow I’m not surprised,” Adonara says, her scorn for the infernal imperial lackey evident in her tone. “It can only be making this worse.”

Her gesture takes in the alleyway and beyond, as her expression gentles in sympathy. She tries to be tactful, but there’s only so many ways to say it, “I hate to ask, but were they all … like this? Faces attacked, especially? I’m not an expert, but we’ve already run into gremlins in town, and this looks like some sort of wicked tooth fairy work.” Ha! One might be able to take the courtesan out of the librarian, but not vice versa, apparently. Gods help us if an opportunity to discourse about theology ever arises and Adonara gets a chance to really cut loose. :)

“We’ll certainly do all we can to help, but in the meantime your people's staying indoors seems wise.” Even as she says so, she meets the other adventurers’ gazes as an idea starts to form in her mind. They’ll have to check the scenes of the other killings, but if all else fails, unlike civilians, a lady of the night like Adonara would be more than just bait. "Then, once the streets are a bit safer we'll be able to push back harder against Thrune."


"The most recent victim from last night is being held in a nearby inn room if you would like to examine it?"


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

"As much as I would rather not, I feel we must examine the body to see if there is anything else we can learn. We also shouldn't stick around the crime scene just in case someone gets the wrong idea ... or the right one." Rutilus then gestures to Zea to lead the way.


At the inn is the body of the latest victim, a young male halfling. Zea explains that they plan to cremate the body tomorrow.

Heal, Perception or Knowledge Nature checks please.


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

Kira stands on tiptoes to look at the body on the table. Poor man...to die in such a way must have been terrible. We have to stop this.

She tries to be respectful as she searches the body for clues.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

It does seem like a good idea to learn as much as one can about the one killing before looking into the others, but Adonara braces herself for what she’s likely to see in examining the body, trying to remember a bit more about tooth fairies. Alright, they collect teeth. Does that mean we should expect that the killing blow was to the head too? Or is it more of a trophy sort of situation, while the killing is more haphazard?

Accordingly, when the time comes, Adonara quietly looks the body over for clues as to just what happened to it, from what happened to the poor sod’s teeth, to what actually killed him, and whether he saw it coming. Struck from behind, or above? Are they like sprites, with wings and all?

As someone who grew up surrounded by cathedral magic and not particularly called to the healer’s path, Adonara’s purely medical experience is indifferent at best, but she’s normally grounded and patient enough to spot a detail or two. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 This time, though, the cruelty of the bloody ruin that's left of the victim's face leaves her too shaken to notice much of anything else. If she had to guess, the killer wasn't looking to stop after just one tooth.


Kira, you can see numerous bite marks on the victim's hands and neck, along with several little gouges of missing flesh. Also all of the victim's teeth have been removed.

Knowledge nature check


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

K. Nature (Untrained: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Kira has to put a hand to her mouth and step away, breathing heavily. "That's..." She swallows hard and tries again. "All of his teeth are gone. And something was biting him. A lot of marks on his hands...he was probably trying to force the creatures away. Not sure about the bites on his neck. There's little chunks of missing flesh...are tooth fairies carnivorous?" She pales at her own question.

"I, uh...think I need some air." She flees outside the room, although she doesn't go far. Once outside the room and away from the gristly scene she's able to think a bit more clearly.

Three nights, three victims. If all they want is teeth they're probably going after anyone they find alone. Pretty small area...they must have a base nearby.

Unfortunately even a small area is far more than they could search with the time left in the day. If they wait until tomorrow there'll be another victim. Which all adds up to a conclusion Kira really doesn't like.

Someone's going to have to play bait.


Kira, the wounds seem consistent with a tooth fairy from what you have heard.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 2/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

Pellius blanches at the revelations from Kira and Zea.

"Has there only been one each night, Zea? And were the others similar to this poor fellow in obvious ways? Were they all male, halflings, traveling alone?"


"Not so many as one per night, one every couple of nights, all seemingly killed and desecrated in the same way. Both male and female victims and all were tieflings travelling alone."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

After Kira’s words, Adonara forces herself to look closer. The wounds to the throat probably did it, in the end, especially as his body reacted to the trauma of … the first few teeth being removed.

It hardly bears thinking about, and at Zea’s remark that all the victims so far have been tieflings, Adonara’s mind latches onto the idea as something else to focus on, however irrelevantly, scanning the victim again for any visible signs of the more exotic streak in his heritage.

Tearing herself away, she adds her own question as she voices what she fears is likely to be the best plan. “Were any of them better armed? I’d like to think I can make armour work, but I can slip into something more comfortable tonight to bait a trap, if the sites of the other murders don’t turn up clues to where the fairies have laired before nightfall.”


"No, none of them wore armour, they were just normal everyday traders and shopkeepers."

Make a knowledge history or knowledge local check

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

“Well, I suppose I’ll just have to rely on the good offices and alacrity of these gentlemen and lady,” Adonara says bravely, trying to bolster everyone’s spirits in the face of the unnervingly gruesome situation. “And I do have a couple of spells prepared that will help, so even if there are complications I won’t have to fall back on silks, smiles, and quick steps alone.”

Inwardly, she tries to recollect anything useful about the neighbourhood that might make the task at hand any safer. Know (history): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 2/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

Knowledge: Local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

Pellius nods, frowning. "I am not sure that having one of us acting as bait will work, especially if they are deliberately attacking... well, the locals." He gives Zea an awkward smile. "Perhaps it would be better if we simply stood watch in a non-conspicuous fashion and wait for these.... things... to strike on their own?"


Pellius, you vaguely recall an old legend that if a murdered infant is buried in unconsecrated ground with certain rituals it can create a gateway that allows tooth fairies to arrive.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 2/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

Pellius' frown deepens as a local legend pops unbidden back into his mind.

"I... cannot say this is more than a rumor.... but I remember hearing stories of wicked people sacrificing infants and burying them in ground that was unconsecrated... using the power of that heinous deed to bring forth gateways... and tooth fairies were among the things that could arrive through them." Shaking his head from the disturbing memories of his nan telling these tales as a child, he turns to Zea. "Has anyone recently lost a child that had one? Or made it to late term pregnancy then suddenly 'miscarried' their child?"


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

Kira slips back into the room just in time to hear Pellius' theory, and for a minute she nearly slips right back out again. Sacrificing infants?! How could anyone possibly be that evil?

But if Pellius is right about that deed creating a gateway, then finding out where the child went missing could be the first step in locating the portal. She forces herself to listen attentively to Zea's answer.


"There was a report of a baby being stolen from the orphanage on the Night of Ashes but the report was never confirmed."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6
Pellius Aulamaxa wrote:

[dice=Knowledge: Local]1d20+10

Pellius nods, frowning. "I am not sure that having one of us acting as bait will work, especially if they are deliberately attacking... well, the locals." He gives Zea an awkward smile. "Perhaps it would be better if we simply stood watch in a non-conspicuous fashion and wait for these.... things... to strike on their own?"

“Certainly not,” Adonara says. “At least, we can’t put civilians, laity – whatever we want to call innocents abroad – at risk. Not that we can’t keep also an eye out for those in the neighbourhood who are inclined to brave the night, but there’s no harm in us trying to attract the desired attention. I have you darlings of the opera to guide me in costuming, assuming my role, and so on, after all, in case I can’t look defenseless and toothsome enough on my own.”

She opens her eyes wide and attempts to demonstrate. The effect, for the few seconds she maintains the attitude as she replies to Pellius’ next remark, is grotesque. “Appalling, but … do those stories say anything about granting control over fairies summoned that way? If not, it would be a convenient means of sowing terror while minimizing one’s traces. As far as murderous callings can possibly be described as subtle.”

Zea’s comment only heightens Adonara’s fears as to the possibility that a very particular sort of monster could exploit such a summoning. Convenient is not the word. “So. That leaves two other known adult victims to look into, a missing baby to look for signs of, and, failing inspiration from that, tempting the fey?”


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 2/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

Pellius shivers. "I honestly can't say, Adonara. The stories I heard were when I was young and not willing to go to bed... not exactly 'scholarly' or 'researched' works. I would, however, say that if it is possible to do... something like that," the bard's shiver turns into an out and out shudder before he continues, "that it would be stupid to summon evil fey without at least having something to bribe them with. Not that the city doesn't have its share of stupid conjurers with more power than sense, but it strikes me as particularly idiotic to summon in beings.... capable of doing that to you if mad." He gestures to the corpse as he says this.

"Perhaps we should visit the orphanage first. If these were the work of tooth fairies, the other crime scenes are likely not going to be much different than the first...." As he trails off, an errant thought occurs to him. "Say, do you know how they remove the teeth off hand? I find it... odd... that we found pliers at the most recent scene if it was the fey. Wouldn't they have magics to do this... or at least not leave behind their tools?"


"I'm afraid that the orphanage burned down a couple of days after the night of Ashes and all the records are gone" says Zea, close to tears.

Pellius you recall that the tooth fairies use pliers to pull the teeth which they can magically summon/create so if they lose a pair they will just create another.


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

Kira's eyes narrow. That's a little too convenient. "I hadn't heard that the orphanage burned down as well. Did the baby's mother die in the fire? Who reported it missing?"

Look at her. This was upsetting you enough that you had to leave for a few minutes, just imagine how hard it must be for her!

Apologetically, she adds, "I really am sorry that we're having to ask you all these questions. The information you're giving us is really important though, so thank you for being willing to talk to us."


"The mother died in the fire, the baby was being rescued from the fire but the midwife and the baby disappeared. We found the midwife's body a few days later, her throat had been cut by what looked suspiciously like a dottari sword. There was no sign of the baby. As a result we strongly suspect that no help will come from the dotarri."


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

The dottari?! Kira may not have trusted the dottari under the current leadership, but she's still shocked to hear that they might be involved in a scheme this, this...this pointlessly cruel. With more confidence than she feels, she smiles and says, "Don't worry. The dottari might not help, but we will. We'll find these tooth fairies and make sure they can't hurt anyone ever again."

Somehow.

"Alright. We can't learn anything from the orphanage, and I doubt we'll learn anything from the other crime scenes. Let's do some shopping. Cold iron weapons and face masks. Then we can figure out where we want to set our trap."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Adonara arches an eyebrow. “I hope someone’s got a better sense of urban geography than I have. We might at least walk by on the way to securing more swords and secrets, just in case anyone’s missed any clues written in the streets and buildings themselves that would narrow down where the fey might be lurking.”

She is tactful enough not to voice her suspicion that the dottari didn’t so much miss anything as not bother: cynicism is probably unhelpful at the moment. “Fortunately, I have a suitable mask already – though if I’m playing the ingénue that might be beside the point – but far be it from me to decline the opportunity to acquire another sting.”

She searches for the right words before the group takes their leave of Zea. “Thank you again, Zea. We’ll come back as soon as we’ve learned anything definite, or, hopefully, seen vengeance served. And … for what it’s worth, once it’s time to start thinking about protecting the archive that will have to be rebuilt, we’d be honoured to help.”

Adonara would, at least. Of her various skills, her temple training as a librarian and historian is the best she can come up with on the spot. Yeesh. Is this Thrune fellow fawning over the Hellknight Order of the Rack specially or something, or is this just Cheliax as usual with the book burnings and all? Just a little something to liven up one's arson and malevolent social engineering? This priestess is not amused.


You can find some masks easily enough and some cold iron weapons provided you can afford them.

What is the plan


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

I'm sorry that I haven't posted for awhile. Life got really, really crazy and I just didn't have time and/or net access. I should be able to catch up on all my games tomorrow


No worries, glad to have you back

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

Hmm. I don’t want to slow things down for everyone, so how about something like this?

Back out in the street, Adonara considers the group’s options for cutlery. Left to her own devices, she would hop across the river to the War Cage: a firm believer in establishing warm relationships with the establishments one deals with, that shop is also the likeliest to have one of the more unusual weapons she favours in stock, and she hopes that the proprietor is coming to appreciate a fine eye for all sorts of scourges and flails, especially if said eye belongs to a customer who might draw other eyes to the shop, albeit for other reasons.

That said, notwithstanding (or perhaps, rather, because of) other past experiences, Adonara’s not hugely keen on cold iron, and she wouldn’t want to miss the likeliest time when folk might still be about in the neighbourhood the murders were committed, to make the trap the group’s hoping to set less obvious. She’s happy enough with another dagger, for the moment, and to that end, remembering the recommendations she’s picked up here and there from the locals, will try Olmer’s smithy in Old Kintargo first. Failing that, she’ll work through any smithies in Jarvis End, stopping at her rooms to pick up her own mask, just in case, before circling back to the Devil’s Nursery along a route that will let her at least take a quick look at the other sites of fairy attacks.

So, one stiletto for her sleeve later, if a Perception roll or two wouldn’t be out of place, here’s a couple, one for each of the remaining crime scenes. :) Otherwise, if there’s nothing else to be found, I guess we can start thinking about finding a street corner and ways to make Adonara look, er, whatever it is that tooth fairies want with teeth. Appetizing? What do they do with the things?

Courtesan playing at CSI:
Perception for crime scene #2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 Perception, for scene #3: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Female Gnome Oracle 4 | HP 30/30 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +5 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+4 | BAB: +3, CMB: +5, CMD: +14, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +10, SM +7 | Spells: (1st) 8/8, (2nd) 4/4

Before they leave, Kira has one last thing to say to Zea. "Zea? Would it be possible for you to spread the word that people should stay inside tonight? Or at least not go outside alone. The fewer people outside, the less likely any of them will be attacked." And the more likely that the tooth fairies will go after Adonara instead.

Message delivered, Kira does some shopping of her own. She picks up some cold iron bolts for her crossbow, a dark blue scarf she can use to cover her mouth, and swaps out her backpack for a better one. She also, after some consideration, buys a signal whistle.

Once they've all met back up again, she hands the whistle to Adonara. "We'll try to hide near you, but if you get attacked and for some reason we're not all nearby, you can use this to call us. Better to have it just in case."

Speaking of hiding...

Kira starts looking around near the sites of the murders for a suitable spot. Someplace where we can easily see Adonara without being seen ourselves, where she can be without it looking like an obvious trap, where there aren't likely to be innocents wandering around...

Perception?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

Not sure what the best roll is. If it should be Survival the result is a flat 15, K. Local would be an 18.


You manage to find a small alleyway where you can see Adonara, whilst you will be sheltered from view from anyone else.


You wait for a couple of hours. As it gets to midnight there is a strange twittering sound. Several creatures come flying towards Adonara. They have tattered ears, black eyes, and a huge mouth filled with mismatched teeth and each carry an oversized pair of pliers. There are eight of them in total

There isn't a specific map for this so we'll reuse the opera house outside map. As you were all lying in wait you can all have a surprise round action.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 4 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 22/22 | F +1 R +6 W +6 | Spells: Lvl 1: 4/4 Lvl 2: 2/2 | Performance: 17/17 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +8

Sorry, post got eaten by... honestly, probably my needing to go pick up my son and hitting the wrong button... kids are grand. Pellius would have picked up cold iron arrows and either a cold iron shortsword or longsword, depending on what they had, prior to this when Kira was getting bolts.

Pellius waits for the signal to spring the trap, bow and new cold iron arrows ready. Once the signal is given, Pellius begins to sing inspirational music to assist in the coming battle.

Starting bardic performance: Inspire Courage. Don't forget to add your +1s to attack rolls, damage rolls, fear saves and charm saves.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 3 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 32/32 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +3| Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc + 6

It proves a restless evening as Adonara waits, even with the knowledge that the others are watching out for her. Despite her bravado, this isn’t her neighbourhood, nor her usual way of doing things at all: even though she can’t, of course, count on anything like her own cathedral community in Kintargo, she’s more used to being passed from arm to arm of various discerning individuals at the opera, theatre, or the better sort of party, or at least working the fashionable meeting spaces. In the fearful streets of the Devil’s Nursery, almost deserted, it’s difficult to make it look like she actually believes there’s anyone around looking for a pleasantly sophisticated night, but at least that might make her look more vulnerable, all the better to bait the trap.

As midnight approaches, a half-heard rustle and twitter makes Adonara worry that she’s being too jumpy as she tries to display herself becomingly in her chosen pool of lamplight, but the sight that soon emerges from the shadows shatters that hope. A heartbeat later, her warning cry to the others does the same to the stillness of the night.

That’s an awful lot more of them than I expected, the courtesan thinks, trying to keep all of the little monsters in sight, even as her fingers and lips move through a first protective spell. Given just how many fairies there are, Adonara’s free hand drops to the more familiar whip coiled at her waist rather than her new dagger, for now.

Standard action to cast shield. I’m assuming that as part of the trap she’s in shirtsleeves rather than in armour. With shield active, that still works out to her usual AC, for a hot minute, at least. :)

751 to 800 of 1,247 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.