Hells Rebels

Game Master Daniel Penfold 351

In the city of Kintargo, there are those who seek to overthrow House Thrune.

The Proclamations

Treasure List

Notes

Maps

images


551 to 600 of 1,102 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

This is the problem with the less-fussy faiths than the fanatics of law and order: you can almost talk sense with them.

“That’s just it,” Adonara agrees, at least, politely. She remembers the Litany of Arrows, but decides against quoting it, unsure that an unbeliever would appreciate part of one of the more traditional Calistrian liturgies for grief. Weep. Lament. But strengthen your heart, if you will that it not be broken.

She knows a place where all songs – all things – are preserved. I don’t know anyone who’s ever seen it, but I know it exists: there’s magic that can access it. My partner would have been able to explain it better.” Adonara reaches for something more accessible, trying to keep her tone light, but her shift to the perfect tense isn’t the only marker of tension. Finally, she finds something that does lend itself to a show of cheerfulness.

“Don’t believe that Abadaran nonsense: ‘First Vault’ indeed! He can keep his toys,” she says, with the air of one who has more interesting coffers to raid, and she is, after all, planning to cheat the Lady of Graves. Spotting a fallen beam that provides a convenient means of access to the bottom of the ruins, she gestures briefly as if to say, Here endeth the lesson. Don’t worry, you singers will be spared most of Adonara’s missionary zeal: her calling mainly lies elsewhere. :)

With that, the elf jumps, swinging herself from the beam to shorten the distance, and landing catlike below. Drawing her whip just in case, she quickly reconstructs a mental image of what the space must have looked like originally from her client’s description. From what she said, there was something about here that might survive a fire…

After a bit of poking about, Adonara is immensely pleased to find a small coffer. She smiles back up at the others, and takes a quick look around for anything else promising – or dangerous. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Pellius Aulamaxa wrote:
As she finally reaches the bottom, Pellius calls down. "How stable is it down there? Should we follow you or should we be worried about having to pull you out quickly?"

I guess that’s up to our GM to let us know, really, but…

“It looks safe enough,” Adonara calls back up, “but I’m trying to think if it’s likely that there’s anything else left down here.”

Of course, everyone’s welcome to join her in poking about, but otherwise, if there’s not likely anything else to be found, Adonara’s perfectly happy to do the Indiana Jones thing and flip up the tip of her whip to get a boost while she climbs back up with the coffer she’s found.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

I guess I can see sheet music being one of a kind if it wasn't replicated anywhere, but instruments? How unique can they be? Not being at all musically inclined, Kira doesn't really understand what Adonara and Pellius are so upset about. Of course it's a tragedy that the place burned down, but shops can be rebuilt, can't they?

She is however tactful enough to not say that out loud.

"The ground's pretty unstable. I don't think it would be wise to push our luck by having more people go in." She looks down just in case she can spot something from her angle that Adonara can't.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Sorry, you're adventuring with divas. And I'm trying to jolly him out of it! The moodiness. Diva-ishness is fine. :)


Inside the coffer are 3 sheets of music, a scroll of cure moderate wounds, a scroll of daylight, a scroll of remove blindness/deafness and a scroll of remove disease, three potions of lesser restoration and four potions of cure light wounds.


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

I want to apologize for my absence. Weekends are always busy and I had to spend half of it at a dealership swapping my Camaro for something a bit more family friendly as my 7 month old starts daycare this week. I promise I will have an actual post tomorrow, but my schedule may be a little hectic these next two weeks as I adjust to the new schedule at home.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

From the gentle clinking of the coffer as she climbs back up, Adonara is unsurprised to find that opening it reveals several potions, carefully wrapped with scrolls. She must be doing something right, she thinks, as fortune has confirmed her optimism. This isn’t the place to assess the contents in too much detail, but she spares the music a glance to at least see if any of it’s a voice part – if for a soprano to boot, she might also see about finding a gambling den while the goddess is feeling so generous.

“We should find a safer place to take a closer look at this,” she admits, but can’t entirely stifle a small smile at the good luck.


@Rutilus- no problem.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

"Do we want to head straight back to the Nest, or take a look at the other locations first? I'd vote we check out either the Thrashing Badger Tavern or the Victocora Estate, whichever is closest. It could be suspicious if we keep going back to the coffeehouse multiple times a day."


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius shakes his head.

"While you are correct that us having multiple trips to the coffeehouse might raise suspicion, us spending the day doing nothing but visiting wrecks from the Night of Ashes would likely be equally suspect. Perhaps we should hit some shops along the way to make things look more... organic."

Turning down to Adonara, he calls "Anything survive the blaze that is worth the trip down there?"


There is nothing else in the sinkhole.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara takes another quick look before closing up the coffer again. Would she be able to recognize the music at all? Knowledge (local) isn’t among her trained skills, but she could try a Perform check to compare it against her repertoire or musical knowledge, maybe? Perform (sing): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

“Hmm. You’d probably be better able to tell how significant it may be, since it doesn’t look like my style of thing, but there’s a few pages of music, at least, thank the goddess! some other scrolls, and a half-dozen potions,” she summarizes.

She considers the motley crew with some evident hesitation, before choosing her words carefully and as graciously as she can. “I, at least, will have to get some soot off before strolling the Greens, and we might want to wait until dark before prowling about ruins in so open an area. I would say the Thrashing Badger first - which I believe is closer anyway - but even before that, why don’t I invite you all to my boudoir, so we can take a look at this song in peace? I can put on some tea, or some sherry, for those who prefer something a bit stronger.”

Adonara’s own apartment is in Jarvis End, so we could go there to figure out what this music we’ve found is before heading off to the next ruin. You may count yourselves beyond lucky, gentlemen, even if it's only the morning room. ;)


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

"If we're being watched then we're probably already dead. I agree to being cautious but I don't think that we should get too paranoid.

I like the idea of going to Adonara and then on to the Thrashing Badger"


You head to Adonara's and look at the music, it appears to be an original composition by Shensen and is unfinished.

Are you waiting till nightfall to go to the other locations?


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

I don't think we need to wait that long today for that, but I will defer to the other's better judgement on it.

Helping the elf out of the hole, he nods. "That sounds like a reasonable idea."

Upon arriving he whistles at the work. "A pity it is not yet finished. With the author currently missing it might never be... but still, better to have this portion of it than nothing at all. I will need to see about buying a waterproof scrollcase for it. No sense in taking chances." The rest of the findings from the Star evoke no interest or response, his sole focus seeming to be studying the unfinished work, memorizing note arrangements and chord progressions.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira looks around Adonara's place curiously. "Some tea would be wonderful, if you don't mind." Her fingers itch to pick up and examine the various interesting knickknacks laying around, but she forces her hands to remain still. Be polite, Kira. Keep your hands to yourself.

Seeing Pellius entranced by the unfinished music, she offers, "I have a waterproof bag, if you'd like to use that for now. Not quite as secure as a scroll case maybe, but it's something."

By the time Adonara's had a chance to clean off the soot, Kira is ready to continue on to the tavern.

Don't see any reason to wait until nightfall.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara stirs up the embers in her kitchen and puts the kettle on before disappearing to tidy up a bit. When she drifts back, after first collecting the kettle, she shrugs, “I know it’s only going to get messy again, but if we’re going to cross town, some of us have to keep up appearances, I’m afraid.”

She raises an eyebrow, impressed, at Pellius’ announcement about the music, and turns to the other scrolls and the potions while he keeps at it, over the tea.

Spellcrafty stuff, going in order down the list:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Oh, for heaven's sake. Not wanting to keep everyone, she doesn't quite allow enough time to sort out all the auras, and the scrolls seem to contain magic a bit beyond her powers at the moment, but Adonara is able to identify the potions, at least.

"The scrolls will need another look, I admit, but these will definitely come in handy," she pronounces. As the group prepares to move on, she asks, "Do you think the ground will be more stable on the north bank? I could bring some rope, if you think we'll need it."

In any case, to the Badger it is!


Male Human Cleric (Hidden Priest) / 3 | AC 16 T 11 F 15 | HP 26/26 | F +5 R +2 W +6| | Channel Energy: 4/4 | Agile Feet 6/6 | Init +2

Baolo had kept pretty quiet look out as the others sniffed about...and at each other. He too was a believer in the divine...but he was much more the type to argue with actions rather than words. At the mention of checking out a former tavern...and enjoying a drink at a Calistrian's locale beforehand, the bearded man perks up. "Aye. I know a thing or two of taverns...and am eager to see how this particular one was involved in that terrible night," Baolo contributes as he stands, sipping at whatever heartier beverage Adonara was able to offer beyond tea. "I don't know much about buildings...but so long at the ground below was study...then I don't think we gotta worry about it giving out on us. that said...it might be a good idea to bring it along...just in case."


1d100 ⇒ 22


You manage to reach the site of the Thrashing Badger without running across any patrols of Dottari. The ruins are almost entirely gone; the building appears to have burned through the boardwalk and collapsed into the water below.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara pops surprisingly deeper into her apartment again before returning with a stout bit of rope: like Baolo says, just in case. As the group sets out again, she carries the coil with aplomb. Like any accessory, it’s a question of doing it with conviction. And perhaps a bit of an attitude.

Just in proves to be indeed the case, as Adonara quickly realizes just past Bleakbridge where the Thrashing Badger used to stand, to her dismay. It's very much not her sort of place. She’s not snobbish about it as such – though it would make for considerably less promising business, from her perspective – but searching the ruins thoroughly will require considerably more splashing about than the Silver Star did.

“I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m not the strongest swimmer to begin with, let alone in armour,” she says, peering down into the flotsam below. She sets the rope down, resigned to using it for something to hold onto if it proves necessary to descend into the piers. For now, she confines herself to a visual search for anything unusual, especially anything that might suggest why the building was targeted for infernal arson. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Her knowledges are (religion) and (history), so I'm guessing there's not much Adonara can contribute on that front, for a place like this, but she'd be happy to try if I'm wrong about that. Or she could pitch in with door-to-door and Diplomacy.


Anyone else/


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius shakes his head, grateful that the music is safely within Kira's waterproof bag at the moment.

"I joined the opera, not the Navy. And honestly, I would be shocked if anything survived both fire and subsequent flooding."

Still, the singer thinks about whether he ever heard of anything that might have done just that while looking around from a safe distance.

Knowledge: Local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira also peers into the water, trying to see if anything might still be there. As she does she mentally maps out how the building collapsed. If there were any potential clues that could have survived the water, where would they have drifted?

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
K. Engineering?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

"I'm not a strong swimmer either. With a rope though maybe I could check it out; at least you'd be able to pull me up easily enough."

My other thought was K. Geography for the terrain. If that's more appropriate, add +4 to the above roll.


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

Finally ... a post from me ... sorry again ... I hope you will all forgive me this brief backtrack

Much, Much Earlier
While the others look to decipher the papers and talk with the mercenaries, Rutilus slips out the back. "I really should check on the others. Cassie has to be worried sick"

At Rutilus's Hovel:

Feel free to retcon/change any of this I just thought a brief little vignette of recruiting the team
As Rutilus enters the door, Cassie runs up to him and throws her arms around him. "Where have you been?!? I thought for sure something happened to you at the riot. Tesario said you were ok but you were gone."

Rutilus returns the hug with a smile. "As you can see I am alright. Like I said, I met some people and we are going to work to make things better here. For all of us." He then looks at Cassie with a sad look knowing he can't stay, before turning to Tesario. "You asked how you can help? Right now you can help by having the guys keep their ear to ground. Listen for rumors, the going ons with the Dottari, anything no matter how big or small that might be of interest. You can leave whatever you find at the spot behind Baolo's."

"Don't worry, you can count on us. Right Cassie?"

With some trepidation, Cassie responds, "uh... of course."

Rutilus then gently pushes Cassie back. "Thank you both... Now I'm sorry... but I can't stay... Be safe, both of you

Now...

Rutilus looks down where the Thrashing Badger used to be. "Sad... While I much preferred Baolo's establishment, the Badger was always worth a change of scenery." As the others talk about swimming, Rutilus begins to unhook his armor. "I'm not the best swimmer, but I'm not too shabby. Think anything is down there?

K. Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Male Human Cleric (Hidden Priest) / 3 | AC 16 T 11 F 15 | HP 26/26 | F +5 R +2 W +6| | Channel Energy: 4/4 | Agile Feet 6/6 | Init +2

Scratching his beard, Baolo whispers, "It ain't pleasant...but with a bit of time, I think I can get us a way to breath down there...so long as you all are alright with giving up your birth right of breathing air for a little bit." Peering down below as ropes are affixed. "Either way, we would need to be careful though...so maybe it be better to drown in the drink then have the air we been breathing all our lives cause our deaths." That said, he too begins unclasping the fasteners of his armored coat...and secured his weapons so they don't encumber him too much under the water. Then, with a final gulp form his mug, he then secures that as well, tying it to the heavy metal ring that hangs from his thick leather belt.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara blinks.

“Do tell?” she asks, in morbid fascination. “Now that you mention it, there is a spell I’ve heard of that would do the trick, though I’ve not had occasion to ask the Lady for it. Too much time dallying with mages, I suppose.”

Erisia would laugh, she thinks fondly. And probably wink ridiculously. Not like that, sweetheart!

Huh. I hadn’t realized air bubble is on the cleric list. I’ll try to bear that in mind!


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

"I'm a singer and a dancer, not a swimmer. I'll stay up here and cover you with my javelins and come in if required."


Unfortunately the water is too murky to be able to see anything below the surface.

Kira, you think that the building was burned and the fire burnt through the support struts that were holding it above the water causing it to collapse.

Rutilus you recall that the Thrashing Badger was rumoured to be a favourite watering hole of cultists of Milani.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius shrugs.

"I can't see anything down there, the water is too opaque. And other than the rumors that Milani's followers used to frequent this place I never heard of any stockpiles of... well, anything really... that would justify the dip into it. So, if it is all the same to you I will stay up here with Lodoro with the music we found earlier. No sense in risking it getting ruined by the water or stolen by some urchin."


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

"Give me a second and I can at least see if there's anything magical down there." Kira frowns in concentration as she casts detect magic. As she does so, she comments, "I doubt anything non-magical could have survived between the fire and the water, so if I don't see anything maybe we don't need to swim after all."

She'll scan the water with Detect Magic active, so if there are any spells or magic items within 60 feet she should see their auras.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4
Pellius Aulamaxa wrote:

Pellius shrugs.

"I can't see anything down there, the water is too opaque. And other than the rumors that Milani's followers used to frequent this place I never heard of any stockpiles of... well, anything really... that would justify the dip into it. So, if it is all the same to you I will stay up here with Lodoro with the music we found earlier. No sense in risking it getting ruined by the water or stolen by some urchin."

“I suppose it does look like the sort of place, doesn’t it?” Adonara observes, taking in the neighbourhood. I mean, if one wanted to embrace the air of conspirators plotting in a seedy tavern. She says and thinks it without rancour, having accepted the role of representative of sophisticated elven vice, from a Chelish perspective. There's certainly room for a variety of subversive elements in Kintargo.

“Just the usual ‘We are the ruthless underlings of the machinery of Hell!’ repression and flailing about on the part of Thrune, then? Making an example of, etcetera,” Adonara is glib, but hardly entirely heartless, and she shakes her head. “I hope no one got hurt beyond the loss of the building. I wonder where the usual crowd might have gone, and if they could tell us if there was anything more to it.”

Either that, or I guess just move on to the torched Victocora estate?


Kira you do not detect anything magical in the water.

Moving in to the Victocora estate you can see that it is completely gutted. Not only was it burned to the ground but it also appears that the owners, Rexus' family were inside the house when it burnt down and appear to have burnt to death, before their bodies were taken away when the fire had burnt out.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius shakes his head. "That could easily happen to my family... we were never as outspoken as the Victocora's, but our lack of acceptance of Thrune's rule isn't exactly unknown."

Pellius carefully makes his way (assuming it isn't a sinkhole or underwater) through the chard remains, thinking back to whether anything significant could have both survived the blaze and been hidden enough to go unnoticed by the people who arrived afterword.

Rolling Nobility and Local to whether he knows of anything like that, not sure which would be more appropriate.
Knowledge: Nobility: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
Knowledge: Local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira joins Pellius in examining the ruins. ”It’s really sad. Poor Rexus...to lose his entire family like that.”

Did something like this happen to dad? Could he have been here when it burned?

She shivers and forces her mind back to the task at hand. While she looks around, she checks to see if there might have been a basement or something that survived the fire.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
K. Engineering: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Pellius you do not think anything could have survived the blaze. You do know that the Victocora's were rumoured to be at home on the Night of Ashes so it seems likely they were burned alive.

Kira, you think that fire spells and alchemist's fire were deliberately positioned to do the maximum amount of damage. You also both think that the inhabitants bodies were here and were taken away once the fire had cooled. You find a partially burned piece of black cloth with strange red symbols on it.

Knowledge religion on the symbols.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Curious, Kira examines the symbols on the cloth they found.

K. Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara is relieved that a dip in the river isn’t in the offing, and the walk through the Greens is as enjoyable as always, until one comes to the ruins of the Victocora estate. The charred remains are a sobering sight, though, as are the still visible signs of bodies dragged from the ashes where they fell, choked by heat and smoke. She whispers prayers in Elven as the group proceeds through the wreckage, collecting silent horrors. Just on the longest shot, in case the others have missed anything. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

She’s primarily, in her Calistrian sort of way, a theologian, a people person, and a dabbler in magic, in about that order, so there’s not much to the remains that she can help with, but she joins Kira in examining the curious scrap of cloth that turns up. Know (relg.): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 Ugh. The dice have turned against me today. Could we turn that into an aid another check, as Adonara eliminates some of the weirder possibilities that someone into religious trivia would be to conceive of? Like, "Nope, not anything to do with the Queens of the Night." Or that sort of thing.


Between Kira and Adonara you recognise the runes as belonging to the church of Asmodeus. It seems likely that the bodies were removed by the Church and buried using Asmodean rites.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius shakes his head.

"Not much of theirs would have survived this blaze... they were not the kind to keep things in hidden nooks, at least not in their home. And even if they did, it is highly likely that whomever removed their bodies would have been able to retrieve them. A shame. I really was hoping to get something sentimental for... our friend." He almost says his name out loud, but thinks better of it at the last moment.

Turning to Kira, he raises his eyebrows at the cloth they have. "Strange find, I would think all cloth material would be the first things to turn to ash. What do you make of it?"

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

There are any number of religions the elf priestess is more familiar with, and demon cults are a far more pressing danger in her homeland, but with Kira’s local expertise to clinch the matter, Adonara can’t avoid the conclusion that the gentler part of her mind balks at acknowledging. She goes slightly pale as she double-checks. Not as blatant as a single pentagram, but that red, in this city, and the angles of those markings…

“The Asmodeans were here,” she concludes grimly, answering Pellius. From what she knows of that cult, the implications are sickening, and she resumes in alarm, “We need to find Rexus! With this sort of burning, and the bodies removed – they’re almost certainly being desecrated.

As always when circumstances surprise or weigh heavily on Adonara, like any elf, a torrent of emotion cascades behind her calm features. Part of her worries that she’s hardly the right person, given how she handles loss, to break the news – until her faith and her good sense intervene. Stop it. You're holding on, even moving forward. You can, and will do, what needs to be done, with the Lady's help. Her outrage, too, seethes within her. We’ll do everything we can to stop the bastards.

Her look takes the others in with determination. “If we can find out what the devil-lickers have done with Rexus’ people they’ve murdered, I could perform the appropriate ceremonies. At least, see the bodies buried respectfully.”

Assuming they haven’t been animated to serve in the Asmodean cathedral or something. On the off chance that after a moment to stop freaking out and to focus Adonara can think of what’s most likely to have been done with the bodies, Know (relg.), again: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 Otherwise, maybe a (local) check?


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira's own face is grim. "It should have been the first to burn. Most likely it was left as a warning for anyone else who might protest Thrune's rule. I can't imagine our friend would have wanted them buried with Asmodean rites, which means he probably doesn't even know the bodies were removed. If Adonara's right..."

She meets Adonara's gaze with equal determination. "The least we can do for our friend is ensure that the people who died here rest in peace. We know Lady Victocora at least was a follower of Irori. I'm not one myself, but..." But my father is. Was? Is. Please Desna let it be 'is.' Her lips tighten as she continues. "I'll see what I can find out about the appropriate rites."


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

Lodoro bows his head and makes a brief prayer
"Desna, please help these souls on their trip to the boneyard. May they find in death the peace they could not find in life"


Adonara, looking around you can see a short way away is a small depression that looks like a grave. You know that if the Church of Asmodeus kills someone they bury them at the site of their death, using Asmodean rites. As they are seen as being an official part of the government of Kintargo and also of Cheliax as a whole there will be no consequences from the government for this action.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4
Kira Namfoodle wrote:

Kira's own face is grim. "It should have been the first to burn. Most likely it was left as a warning for anyone else who might protest Thrune's rule. I can't imagine our friend would have wanted them buried with Asmodean rites, which means he probably doesn't even know the bodies were removed. If Adonara's right..."

She meets Adonara's gaze with equal determination. "The least we can do for our friend is ensure that the people who died here rest in peace. We know Lady Victocora at least was a follower of Irori. I'm not one myself, but..." But my father is. Was? Is. Please Desna let it be 'is.' Her lips tighten as she continues. "I'll see what I can find out about the appropriate rites."

“Of course,” Adonara says gratefully. “If need be, I could work up an ecumenical sort of prayer in the meanwhile. I know if something like this happened to me, my spirit would appreciate it. Goddess knows, I’d rather be left for the dogs and birds to pick over and gnaw than have an Asmodean’s prayers!”

Kira’s suggestion of a warning is food for thought. Adonara rests her chin on the tips of her fingers as she considers the possibilities. “If it’s a warning, maybe an incidental one. The cloth’s only a bit burnt – maybe an unlucky sleeve? Because, if I remember correctly, people disappear in Cheliax and history gets rewritten, under Thrune under Asmodeus. But that means the willfully damned need to move quickly, and they tend to stay close.”

After another quick glance around the grounds as a whole, she starts a spiralling path out from the ruins of the main house, searching more carefully as she goes. Before too far she finds a suspiciously recently disturbed patch of ground that doesn’t look like either a new flower bed in the offing or a bit of turf that needed patching. She points it out, setting her jaw at what she has to say next. “Here, I’d guess. If we did some digging, we could find out soon enough.”

If anything like a shovel or mattock's survived in the ruins of a shed or something, I'm fine with checking at everyone's convenience.


There is a small, partially burnt shed to one side in a collection of outbuildings which has a rusty shovel in it.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira wraps her arms around herself, clearly unsettled. "I don't think we should dig up the bodies without asking Rexus first. We don't have any means of transporting them somewhere else, or holding a proper funeral. And even if we did, I think he'd want to be here." She looks around. "I don't think there's anything else, so why don't we go to the coffeehouse and talk to him? Then we can come back here later tonight."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

"Fair enough. I'm just not entirely sure my instincts are right about this, and I would hate to get his hopes up about recovering what's left only to dash them."

"Still, let's wait. Maybe we can hire a carriage tonight, if I am reading the signs properly after all. In the meantime, we can also do the rounds, see if we can find out where the Milanites who used to hang about the Thrashing Badger might have rallied."


You head back to the coffee house and head downstairs into the Wasp's Nest. Rexus is there working on the journal and notes.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

"Hi Rexus. We, uh, stopped by the Victocora estate earlier. There's...there's no easy way to ask this." Kira is clearly very uncomfortable, but forces herself to push through. "Do you know what happened to the bodies? Were they...did your parents have a proper funeral? Because if not, then maybe we could come up with something."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Aaaah! Ninja gnomes! Gninjas? :)

Adonara follows Kira’s lead at the Wasp Nest, needing a moment to put herself in the right frame of mind, remembering various losses of her own. Taking a breath, she quietly takes a seat opposite the young Victocora, and waits patiently for him to register what Kira’s saying.

“This morning we went to look for clues at your family’s estate, and I’m afraid you should prepare for the worst,” she says gently. “It was definitely deliberate Asmodean work, and they … sealed the exits and waited, and then did their best to hide the signs of what they did.”

“We think we’ve found a new grave, but we thought you should know before we open it up. Like Kira said, if … it is what we think, do you know what your family would have wanted? Kira can look into Iroran rites, and Baolo and I, beyond the natural, of course, could work with you if something else would be most fitting.”

“I’m sorry – for your loss, and for having to break it to you like this.”

After making sure that Rexus has enough time to understand what she and Kira are saying and then to compose himself, as much as he needs to, she makes sure he understands that he doesn’t need to come along if he doesn’t want to – though of course he can – and that the new Ravens will be guided by him as to what they should do with anything they find on his estate when they return that night.

I mean, I guess if we find the bodies, if it’s just too much we could simply reconsecrate the burial appropriately. Or we could remove the remains for regular interment in the Temple Hill burying grounds.

551 to 600 of 1,102 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.