Hells Rebels

Game Master Daniel Penfold 351

In the city of Kintargo, there are those who seek to overthrow House Thrune.

The Proclamations

Treasure List

Notes

Maps

images


601 to 650 of 1,136 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

Rexus is disturbed by what you have found.

I thank you for this news. I suspect that this is probably the grave of my parents. I would like to bury them properly, probably in Temple Hill, but I think we should move cautiously, undoubtedly the areas will be being watched, we should wait a while until we have a stronger position in the area.


Later that day

As you are in the Wasp's Nest, discussing over what you have done so far and making plans for the next day all of a sudden a section of the wall in the storeroom collapses. It does not injure anyone but the noise is loud and it brings up a large amount of dust.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira jumps at the sound of the crash. "What the..." She runs over to the wall. "That's strange. What could have caused it to fall like that?"

K. Engineering: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

Rutilus was quiet during the whole exchange with Rexus as he is without words and not certain what to say. He never knew his own parents but knows the pain he would feel if he lost any of those he calls family. As the conversation moves on, Rutilus nods to Rexus. "We will find a way to give them the proper burial rights."

Later as a loud crash and a section of the store room collapses, Rutilus quickly jumps to his feet. His hand finding itself quickly on the hilt of his blade. "Is everyone ok?!" he calls out while looking around for any possible threats or the cause.

Skill: 1d20 ⇒ 5+9 for perception, +6 for K. Dungeoneering


Kira you find tool marks around the broken bits of wall indicating sabotage.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Sabotage? But why? What could anyone possibly gain from collapsing this wall?

Kira looks carefully behind where the wall once stood. Maybe they were trying to get something that was behind here?

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius offers to help Rutilus with the book further, but is interrupted by the wall collapse.

"Great. Now even the buildings are crumbling in ruin. Will this affront against Kintargo ever cease?"


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

Lodoro grabs up his glaive and heads to the other side, the side where presumably the saboteurs were. He looks around trying to make sure that nobody attacks them

perception: 1d20 ⇒ 6

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara is impressed by Rexus’ sang-froid, though not sure if she entirely approves of it, even as she is under no illusions but that it’s his choice to make. In his position, she’s just far from certain she would make the same decision.

At the commotion of the wall tumbling down, she hastens after the others, after doing her best to make sure that Rexus stays safe. Hand on the whip at her side, she peers past the others into the wreckage.

Seeing Kira examining the wall more carefully than Adonara would expect a simple accident to invite, the priestess asks, “I don’t suppose the chances are good that that just happened by chance? Now, after who knows how long it’s been reasonably stable?”

She can’t help but think of the statue of her goddess behind her, mostly safe for so long, and her eyes flash. She nods her agreement with Pellius, “If someone’s fooling around, they’re about to find out this nest still holds a wasp!”

Adonara isn’t the type to spoil for a fight, but if someone’s intruding on her sanctum, that is a matter that calls for retribution. A day of largely disheartening news isn’t helping her mercurial mood either.


Kira, you find a hammer and chisel hidden nearby.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius follows the others, and creates lights overhead, using them to help investigate the scene.

Cast Dancing Lights. If applicable, sending a few down hallways or tunnels or into dark nooks where someone might try to hide.


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

Rutilus continues looking for the culprits, his hand still steady on the hilt of his blade. "If sabotage, why? What was their purpose? Were they trying to collapse the whole area?" His eyes then flick to the ceiling thinking of the building above them. "Could it have been for distraction?"


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira frowns, holding the hammer and chisel. A distraction? That could be I guess.

"It doesn't look like an accident. Someone rigged this wall to collapse. Did anyone see anyone near this wall recently? And maybe someone should go upstairs to make sure everything's okay. I'll go take a quick peek myself."

She heads upstairs to see if anything is going on.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

“To be unrealistically optimistic, where there’s one tunnel already and the network of cisterns and so on, it could be someone stumbling into the wrong tunnel looking for a way to somewhere else,” Adonara considers. “But that’s just a bit too unfortunate for us just after we start expanding the use of the space, isn’t it?”

And where’s our dearly bereaved, she thinks, keeping the uncharitable thought about the reluctant tengu recruit to herself. Maybe that bit’s just a coincidence after all, and she’s inclined to give the poor thing the benefit of the doubt, so what Adonara says aloud is just, “We’ll have to ask Laria just who else has access to or might know about this space, or a tunnel that might connect to it.”

She’ll tag along upstairs to see if Laria’s noticed anything amiss, I guess? Otherwise, I’m not sure what we can do except try to make sure that it’s not something that would be a glaring vulnerability to continued use of the Wasp Nest, and keep a stricter eye on what goes in and out?


Pellius, under the flash of the lights just for a moment you see the flash of something small and red which quickly disappears. Kira, it looks as if the hammer and chisel are designed for human hands. They could not really be used by a tengu as the grip is wrong. Laria has not noticed anything amiss, the tengu was with her at the time. She certainly heard the wall collapse even from upstairs but put it down to the cellar being old and not well maintained.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira heads back downstairs and informs the others. "It doesn't seem like there's anything wrong upstairs. But someone sabotaged this wall. I just don't know who, or why. Did anyone else see anything?"

To be clear, Kira is also asking any followers or supporters that might have been in the Nest at the time.


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius shakes his head. "For a moment, I thought I saw a small red flash under my lights, there." He points to where he noticed it. "But it seemed to fade away."

As he says this, he takes a moment to take a further look at the spot himself, not sure if whatever made the glint was a trick of the light or actually something relevant.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Kira, make a sense motive check

Pellius you do not see anything else


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


No one reports seeing anyone acting suspiciously.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira frowns. "A flash of red that disappeared? That sounds like something magical, maybe." She looks around again, this time casting Detect Magic as she goes.

Kira's going to do a quick sweep of the Nest, (starting with the collapsed wall), and see if anything shows up as magical that shouldn't be.


You find that one of the documents that is in the collection that Rexus is working through is magical.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

I'm going to assume this isn't a scroll or something that would normally detect as magical?

Kira pulls out the document, frowning. What's this? "This is strange. There shouldn't be any magic here. Rexus, have you looked at this document yet?" While waiting for a response she focuses harder, trying to make out what type of magic might be present.

K. Arcana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Kira, as you look at the page you can see that it was hidden under a secret page spell, however as you concentrate you discover that it is an infernal contract, binding an imp called Blosodriette to an old, now defunct Chelish family known as the Sarinis. Destruction of the parchment would dismiss the imp back to Hell.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

"Hey everyone, come take a look at this!" Kira holds up the paper, nearly quivering with excitement.

"There's some sort of transmutation spell on this document, making it look like something other than what it is. Which means whatever it is must be important. Why else would the Silver Ravens have hidden it? This could be what we're looking for!" Her face falls slightly. "Well, I guess technically it isn't what I was looking for. I checked out this whole place and didn't see anything that might have been the red flash. But still, this is an exciting find!"


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

Sorry for going quiet the last few days. Life got busy and then I got sick

Lodoro just watches the others. not having much to add at this point

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

My sympathies - fortune seems to have conspired against several of us at once, then! I hope you're feeling better.

Adonara gives the fallen wall another glance while Kira scans the area for magic. Just so I’ve a better idea of what I should be imagining, is there a bit of a space that’s opened up behind the sabotaged wall, and how much? Does it go anywhere, is it big enough to hide something, or is it just messing around with the stability of the tunnels?

Before too long, though, she gets called over to Kira’s new discovery. Adonara considers the document the energetic student holds up, and cudgels her brains for dimly remembered lessons in magic, trying to recall what might reveal the contents. Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 On the off chance that that would be the right skill to try? Also, just to play devil’s azata’s advocate, I understand that Know (arcana) wouldn’t give the whole game away, but since the skill does let someone identify spell effects, would Kira at least be able to tell us that it’s a secret page, so we could start figuring out how to get at what’s in it?

Her old friend Erisia would shake her head, though she would also laugh. We all serve the goddess differently, Adonara thinks, defensively, knowing her theology is stronger. In any case, beyond the trilingual code of the documents as the new Ravens thought they had them, Adonara realizes there’s no guarantee that the hidden layer is in the same language(s). Certainly, if it was her trick, it wouldn’t be.

She produces a playful moue. “Hmm. The next time I perform my evening prayers, I could beg a blessing that should allow me to get through whatever’s hidden there, but getting to that is the thing, isn’t it? We could try dispelling the transmutation, I suppose, but I think we’d need a scroll or the like. I haven’t yet won favour enough with the Lady to do it on my own.”

She smiles, grateful for Kira's talents. "You're right, though: we know it's there now, and it is exciting!"


There is a small section of wall that has crumbled, it is just messing about with the stability of the tunnels.

Kira can tell it is a secret page.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira studies the document again, trying to remember her lessons at the academy. (More accurately, the lectures on arcane magic that she'd snuck into.) "I think this might be a secret page spell. The only way I know of to read what's hidden is to dispel the magic, like Adonara said. That's beyond me though. Does anyone happen to know a mage who is both powerful and able to keep a secret?" She makes sure to include Rexus in the question. "Otherwise I'm sure we could track down a scroll."


Unfortunately Rexus is not a powerful enough mage to know dispel magic.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

“I don’t know anyone in Kintargo quite so gifted myself,” Adonara admits, trying to wring a bit of comfort from the thought that the city isn’t exactly famous for its magic as such. Its mages must congregate in smaller cabals, I guess.

“If all else fails, we could try that strange – what was it? – yes, Newt Market,” she adds, her brow briefly furrowing as she tries to remember what the small space on the road to Nidal is actually called. “Or Crissali might appreciate more usual business than us dropping a handful of mercenaries on her doorstep.”


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius just shakes his head. "Up until recently, the only magic or magical folks I knew were in the theater... and most of that was stage effects and the like. At any rate, perhaps we should just post a guard down here and keep moving on our next plans. If this was the precursor to an invasion, it seems they thought better of trying today... but it does not mean that whomever had the time to do this will not come back later."


"You seem to have done well so far. I have heard of some other opportunities that may help the rebellion.

First there is a region in town called the Devil's Nursery, where the tieflings are forced to live. There have been rumours of murders and killings there and I fear that the killings may be the work of the church of Asmodeus. If the murders can be stopped and it can be shown that the Silver Ravens are helping then the rebellion's support can only grow.

Secondly, there is a tavern known as Crackjaw's, a low-key dockworker's bar. In the past few days it has grown rife with intrigue, brawls and talk of insurrection. It's growing loud enough to attract official attention, all of it bad. It may be possible you could find allies there."


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira jumps at Laria's sudden appearance. "Um, yes. Let's set a couple people to standing guard and move on; I don't think we can figure out anything more about the wall right now. We can stop by Crissali's and see if he has a scroll of dispel magic. If not, we'll try the shops until we find one."

"As for our next move...I didn't realize things were so bad in the Devil's Nursery. Are the Dottari doing anything to investigate the murders?"


Male CG Half-Elf Slayer 3 | HP: 28/30 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 20 | F: +5, R: +6, W: +2 | Init: +3 | Perc: +9, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: None. | Image

As the talk moves from magic, something he knows nothing about, Rutilus finally speaks up with a scoff. "You think the Dottari would waste their time worrying about impoverished tieflings? They wouldn't help them in best of circumstances. If the church of Asmodeus is involved, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dottari are committing the murders.

That being said, I'm not certain of our next move. On the one side stopping the murders is important. However, if the talk at Crackjaw's gets too much notice, it may end with the same fate as the Thrashing Badger."


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius nods at the information provided by Laria and turns to Adonara.

"It sounds like we might have found where your missing patrons from the Thrashing Badger went. And it also sounds like they have learned no lessons about being more... subtle."

A flash of annoyance crosses his face. Just how many establishments do these fools wish to see turned to cinders?

"If we do go save them from their stupidity we will need to teach them to be more sneaky about their machinations. Otherwise we will just be delaying the inevitable, possibly at personal cost."

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Listening to the locals’ advice, Adonara considers possible ways forward, “A dockworkers’ bar would be on the way to the Devil’s Nursery, wouldn’t it, since we’d have to cross the river? Why don’t we stop by there first, hopefully make a compelling case for the virtues of discretion before anyone does anything rash, and then see what we can learn about these murders?”

“You did say these conspirators were Milanites, right?” she checks with Pellius. In which case… She considers the best way to get noticed by the right people. Make a splash, though hopefully not by provoking a crackdown that sees the place crashing into the river. After a moment, Adonara decides on the usual: no reason not to enjoy herself. She turns her cloak so the brighter side is facing out, keeping the hood back, and starts putting her hair up into a rather fussy braid, arranging it so that a scarlet rose will set it off nicely if she can find a flower girl on the way down. She also makes sure that her own holy symbol is safely stored but easily accessible.

After a few minutes of preening to satisfy herself that the effect surpasses what this Crackjaw’s, or whatever it’s called, can usually expect, she’s ready to go. With a small, wicked smile, she pronounces, “Well, if the blooms won’t just come to the wasp, I suppose the wasp will have to go pick her own roses. Shall we?”


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

"I agree with Adonara. Also, our trip to the bar will hopefully be fairly quick. We try and convince them to be more discrete and either fail or succeed. But investigating murders, that is quite likely to take considerably longer"


You arrive at the tavern which is called Clenchjaws, named after a type of oyster that is served there. It is not full but it is certainly busy, the landlord Rinston "Clenchjaw" Jon seems a very busy and energetic man. He moves from table to table telling the patrons that the only rule in his place is no one is allowed to talk politics.
Now and then you catch flashes of holy symbols of Milani among the patrons.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira sits down and just observes the atmosphere. Seeing the symbols of Milani, she frowns. I wear a symbol too, but I have the sense to hide it under my clothes. What are these people thinking?

When Clenchjaw makes it to her table, she asks, "Excuse me. Is this rule about politics a reaction to the brawls that have been happening? Is anyone in particular starting them?"

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Arriving at Clenchjaw’s, Adonara takes a few minutes to get a feel for the space. Since it seems to be the specialty of the place, she makes sure the group gets to share a plate of oysters along with some drinks, so that they can blend in a bit better. A bit of people-watching reveals, as cloaks flap, hands turn, and so forth, that a surprising number of people have also decided to accessorize with rose-themed pieces, more or less discreetly.

At least I’ve got the excuse that it’s a real rose, the elf thinks, glad that she decided to stop on the way. In the bustle of the busy tavern, Adonara finds ample opportunity to work the room unobtrusively, picking up a snippet of conversation here or there as she saves the staff the trouble of delivering the group’s libations, and picking the tapster’s brain as to recommendations for Kintargan brandies. She is also able to suggest that she’s looking for a few good women, but before she can decide on what constellation of intentions to elaborate, Adonara’s keen elven ears catch the landlord reminding her companions that political talk is off-limits.

She keeps one ear open for the answer of Clenchjaw himself to Kira’s question, and in the meantime the two opera singers give her an idea.

“You don’t have to worry about us,” Adonara reassures the publican, somewhat cheekily, because she pitches her voice so that several of the nearest group can hear as she strolls over. “We’re just a band of … performers who are trying to find a way to share space with others of the artistically inclined from all across Kintargo now that the old opera house is unavailable. No harm to the lord mayor, of course: sometimes these things just happen as new needs arise for city space.”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 To gather information, and drop a few hints. She stretches the truth politely, glibly, and surprisingly easily in such a way as to nonetheless convey that the all of Kintargo includes those dissatisfied with the status quo.


The barman looks morose.

[b]"I don't understand how all this trouble starts. Usually the area is quite quiet. For the last few nights there's been trouble. All I know is I feel tired and sleepy and the next thing I know there's a riot on the premises.[/i]

Perception checks please.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

"Do you always feel sleepy right before the trouble starts?" That's strange...is someone using magic to keep him out of the way while they start a riot?


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius looks around and shakes his head. What did I say... here they are... and I'll bet a shiny goldpiece that everyone else in the city knows that too.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Letting the others speak to the barman, Pellius decides to do something to keep the attention of those in the room off of his companions. Heading to what passes for a stage (or baring that, standing on a chair by an unoccupied table) the bard takes it and clears his throat.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! My name is Pellius, and I am here to help set the mood for tonight! I do take requests, so if you have a song you want to hear come talk with me between songs." Giving them all a warm grin, he speaks louder. "With that out of the way, let us start off with a song that will get your feet tapping and your drinks flowing."

Perform: Sing: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

With that, the bard starts singing a rousing drinking he heard once. (Some lyrics modified, obviously, so that they make more sense... but the general song is what he will be singing.)


The citizens in the tavern seem to enjoy Pellius' singing. You hear a cheerful sounding twittering coming from the tavern to accompany the music but can see nothing.

Anyone who wants to can make a Diplomacy check

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Belatedly, Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Clenchjaw’s comment is indeed worrying, but though her eyes automatically flicker over the man for anything amiss – a drink of his own that might have been tampered with, a scratch that a trained poisoner might have inflicted – Adonara isn’t able to spot anything obviously wrong.

Pellius Aulamaxa wrote:

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! My name is Pellius, and I am here to help set the mood for tonight! I do take requests, so if you have a song you want to hear come talk with me between songs." Giving them all a warm grin, he speaks louder. "With that out of the way, let us start off with a song that will get your feet tapping and your drinks flowing."

With that, the bard starts singing a rousing drinking he heard once. (Some lyrics modified, obviously, so that they make more sense... but the general song is what he will be singing.)

Of all things, I actually know that one, believe it or not! Ha! It is a good fit for the scene. :)

Filing away the barman’s remark as something to keep an eye out for for signs of trouble, Adonara is careful not to show outward signs of concern, but does her best to support Pellius when he starts singing. She watches the crowd to take note of anyone who pays special attention, moving in time herself in case anyone watching her is inspired to give the song more notice.

As Pellius brings the song to a close and before he starts the next one, Adonara picks a few likely listeners from the audience who might also heard her pitch about a new space for artsy spirits (Not free-spirited rebellious hearts, no, whatever gave you that notion? ;) to follow up, touching a sleeve or two, quietly talking the singer up too, and doing her level best to keep promising folks interested in her, Pellius, and the group generally. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


From speaking to the patrons you hear the following:

"There's been some strange things going on, I've seen old rivals in here but when I got close to them they vanished."

"I've been drinking and heard insults in my ears in a whisper, when i tried to confront who I thought was doing it, they denied it and a brawl broke out."

"Very occasionally I've seen a weird butterfly hiding in the dark corners of the tavern but when I've looked again it's gone.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara’s friendliness and – she concedes modestly – the abundance of matter to loosen tongues in a tavern mean that she doesn’t have to talk too long to too many people before she starts hearing troubling things on the periphery of the conversations she strikes up, and after a while she returns to the others to report.

As they gather round, she says bluntly, “Something’s got folk running scared here, and causing trouble. It’s not just the barkeep – people are warming to us, but in the background there’s talk of – seeing things? Hearing voices? Things that just don’t come together as they should.”

“Cataloguing all the sorts of creature it could be wasn’t the focus of my training, but it sounds like something is using illusions to tamper with light and sound. For what it’s worth, at least one person said something about seeing a sort of butterfly?”

Adonara can only hope that if it’s something fey it’s nicer than gremlins.


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

Sorry for my absence. It was a long weekend up here and I forgot to mention that I'd be AFK for most of it

Lodoro, of course, joined Pellius in the singing. With some good natured mutual jockeying for the "lead singer" role, of course :-).

"That almost sounds like something invisible has been whispering into somebodies ear. Hmm, I wonder"

I'm not sure how visible you think Detect Evil is. If a paladin using it is very visible he'd quickly duck outside and cast the normal version and then come back in. If its not visible, he'd quietly cast it

Lodoro scans the room for any evil presences, especially ones connected to things that he can NOT see


@Lodoro- no problem. I would say it is quite visible so you would need to go outside to cast

Nothing detects as evil in the inn.

601 to 650 of 1,136 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.