Hells Rebels

Game Master Daniel Penfold 351

In the city of Kintargo, there are those who seek to overthrow House Thrune.

The Proclamations

Treasure List

Notes

Maps

images


851 to 900 of 1,126 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>

Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

"Under the circumstances, I have no problem with killing these. No alternative anyway. But we should definitely see if they're ready to tell us anything"


"This isnt how it was supposed to go, the Lady told us we could make trouble."


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Assuming that was in common:

Pellius blinks at the fey forms. Lady?

"Well, perhaps this... lady... was less than truthful to you. At any rate, it should not be surprising that not everyone wants to have their teeth removed by force." Picking up a set of pliers from the ground, he turns toward them. "Speaking of, would you like me to remove your friends' teeth for you while we talk? I assume that you aren't very picky about the source of your teeth, so perhaps you would accept it as payment for information on this lady friend of yours?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Rolling Diplo instead of intimidate because he is honestly not trying to threaten them... as far as he knows they just want teeth, and these happen to be handy.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Even if the creature is talking in Sylvan, assume Kira translates back and forth to make things simpler.

Kira leans forward, her curiosity peaked by the mention of a 'Lady.' "Who is this Lady? Is she the one who summoned you to this realm? Could you describe her for us?"


"Don't want their teeth...that would be yucky.

The Lady placed the head of the baby that allowed us to come through, its over there (he points to another alley). She was a strange lady, her eyes were white, she had dark hair bit she didn't look quite human

Knowledge Local or Intelligence checks please.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

K. Local: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Kira has no idea who this 'Lady' could be. Nor can she bring herself to think about it right now. Not with the mental image of a baby's head being used for this dark ritual. I was really hoping Pellius wasn't right about that...

She swallows hard. "Were there any more of you that came to this realm? Or was this everyone?"


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Knowledge: Local: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Pellius shrugs. "Why do you not want their teeth but do want others' teeth?"


"No, we are the only ones. We don't want our colleague's teeth, they are already rotten."

Pellius, the description sounds like Nox, the woman you saw at the opera house during the riot.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Adonara is happy to let Kira and Pellius take the lead as she prepares for a more serious role than she normally plays. She listens attentively as Kira relays the young man’s polite overtures, and considers the reply they provoke.

As various implications start to become clear, she moves to take advantage of the reference to an inhuman lady. In the thoughtful pause, she steps forward quietly and, as best she can, menacingly. Well, if Kira and Pellius are playing good cops…

“I think right now you know that you have other ladies who aren’t human to worry about,” Adonara purrs, lingering over her threats with disquieting earnestness. “The question is, what are we to do with you? It’s quite tedious. All this for teeth! Rotten or otherwise! Should we just hand you over to the people whose friends you hurt? I wonder if they’d bother with teeth, or just divide you … otherwise. It might be marginally more interesting.”

She lets that sink in for a bit, before adding, with the air of someone considering a recklessly profligate concession, “Although it might also be amusing to see you try to separate hellhounds from their fangs. Either the four-footed or the upright variety.”

She exchanges a meaningful glance with the others, translating for the benefit of those without Sylvan. I have no idea how we could keep the little monsters in check, but in case we have qualms about finishing them off in cold blood. Which is not to say that Adonara doesn't, but she'll do it if that's what seems best to everyone. Oh, for a geas when you need one!


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius shrugs at their response, mulling things over as Adonara cajoles the fey.

Sounds suspiciously like that odd woman who took the knife to the neck at the riot... and lived...

Leaning in toward Kira, the bard covers his mouth with his hand as he intones in infernal into her ears.

Infernal:

"Could have been that woman our dear Mayor was shouting orders to at the protest. The one that seemed in charge over the Chelish Citizen's Group. Nox... I think that was her name. If so, this just became a lot more complicated of a matter."


The tooth fairies are visibly shaken by Adonara's words.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira frowns, but doesn't take her eyes off the fairies. The woman at the protest...I'd almost forgotten about her. Pellius is right, that complicates things.

Infernal:
"If that's true, I don't think we can let them go. We can't let them report back to her."

There's one last question she needs to ask. "You came to this Realm through a portal this 'Lady' opened. Could you go back? Or are you stuck here?" She looks hard at the creatures as they answer.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


"The Portal has been closed but if we die here we return to the First World and slowly reform over milennia."


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius looks at them, nodding.

"So one final question. Was this... lady... attempting to summon you into this world just to make trouble, or was she trying to bring forth one of your larger cousins?"


"She told us to come here and make trouble."


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

"Thank you for your cooperation. We'll be back in just a moment. Don't try anything." In Common, Kira addresses the others. "They're securely tied up, right? I think we need to talk for a bit."

She heads off a short distance away, close enough to still keep an eye on the fairies but far enough that they wouldn't be able to overhear a quiet conversation, (just in case they speak Common after all).

"Pellius thinks the woman who summoned them may be the leader of the Chelish Citizen's Group. The one at the protest." Agitated, the small gnome begins to pace. "I can't imagine what she was hoping to gain from this, but it seems unlikely she would have done it without Thrune's approval. He must have some reason for wanting the Devil's Nursery in chaos."

She pinches the bridge of her nose. "I don't like it, but I think we have to kill them. We can't send them back to the First World any other way. We can't risk letting them report back to Nox. And I can't think of anything we could do to ensure that they wouldn't hurt anyone else."


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

"I agree. They're evil and their actions merit death. Unfortunately, we just don't have the option of giving them any kind of trial. Any objections?"

If somebody doesn't fairly quickly raise an objection, Lodoro will stride over and cleanly execute the two Fae.

If somebody DOES object, he'll stop (ie, I'm NOT going to do this without something approximating group consensus).


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius holds up his hand to stop Lodoro. "Wait a moment, old chum. I think that, under the circumstances, justice demands a different hand than ours be the passer of judgement. Keep an eye on them, I will go find Zea. If nothing else she deserves to be here when it is done."

Giving them a somber smile, he runs to find the tiefling woman and brings her back. Presumably.


Zea comes up to you, she is clearly shaken.

"So all this, the murders, these creatures, the stolen baby. They were all just to make trouble for us?"

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Backtracking just a bit…:
Despite her show of ruthlessness, Adonara is quiet during the discussion about what to actually do with the creatures. By the time she sifts through her thoughts, Pellius is already on his way to find Zea – and fortunately no one’s said anything that is too troubling.

Raising her chin from the fingers she rested it on to extract every bit of menace she can, in case the fairies are still watching, Adonara offers a few additional points of potential confirmation. “Just conceivably, there are banishings and the like, but they are far beyond me, and I’m not sure they would even work, if, according to the tales Pellius mentioned, the summoning is more of opening a door to other realms. In the best case, Thrune will be watching anyone able channel such power, if they aren’t loyalists already. Binding spells or divinations to keep track of mundane banishments have similar problems. Which means…” Spellcraft, just in case she’s wrong, or able to think of something else: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 Nope. Objection, your honour! Pure speculation! Obviously Adonara will have to learn some more magical theory before she can take the stand as an expert witness. ;)

OK, moving on!

Adonara is guarded enough that it’s unclear whose conscience she might be trying to assuage, but with how quickly Pellius was able to move, he’s back with Zea just in time for the two of them to hear the priestess tell Lodoro, “I’ll do it. At least one of them. I wouldn’t ask anyone to do something I wouldn’t do myself.”

She turns to meet Zea’s question. “I’m afraid so. I doubt they even bothered with specific instructions, beyond terrorizing your neighbourhood especially. It was like unleashing a pack of demons, only with creatures marginally less likely to offend Thrune’s masters.”

Adonara glances from the one activist to the opera singers and back, and continues as gently as she possibly can. “We think we know what we have to do, but we wouldn’t want to decide for your people – nor to pass off the responsibility. Unless there’s a reason to spare these fey, we will see retribution done for you.”


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

"Adonoara, if you insist I'll let you execute one. But I ask you to let me do it. It is my CALLING to eradicate irredeemable evil and I will sleep just fine after having done so. Only take on this task if you are SURE that it will not bother you."


Zea says

"The only way we can be safe is if the creatures are killed. I will kill one."


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira tentatively smiles at Zea, happy to see her again despite the circumstances. "I'm glad you're here. You'll be able to tell everyone that they're safe now. I doubt they'd listen to us."

As the debate begins about who will kill the fairies, Kira looks confused. "Does it matter? We're collectively deciding to kill them, so we're collectively responsible no matter who does the actual deed." She'll probably lose some sleep over it, killing them in battle is different from killing them after they'd been captured, but she'll lose sleep regardless of whether or not she's the one to land the final blow.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

“Responsible? Perhaps, but it’s often easier to call for a life when it doesn’t have to slip through one’s own fingers,” Adonara suggests, her gaze shifting to something in the middle distance – or rather to something strictly unseen.

Closing her eyes for a moment, she taps into her liturgical training to gather the words that might suit the moment and let everyone get through the grim task with a measure of grace.

“Very well,” she says, conceding all points, most immediately that Lodoro and Zea will wield the avenging swords. “but let us remember the lessons of the Savoured Sting: we are the instruments of our own justice. If we are wronged, we will take vengeance with our own hands.”

She concludes with something like a stern blessing from what she knows of the fey, showing a barest hint of mercy. “May the Many guide them to better wisdom in the course of the ages.”

She stands back, but watches vengeance done.


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

And justice is done. NOT Vengeance. Justice :-)


Between you, you execute the tooth fairies. As a reward Zea gives you a purse of 250gp.

What would you like to do next?


Male Human Bard (Chelish Diva) 3 | AC 15 T 11 F 14 | HP 18/18 | F +1 R +5 W +5 | Spells: Lvl 1: 2/4 | Performance: 10/14 rounds | Init +1 | Perc +7

Pellius takes out 50 gold from the bag and turns toward his companions.

"This is about one fifth of the amount here. I would say that this would be a fair enough 'share' for me, correct?" The opera singer waits for confirmation from his friends before turning back to Zea.

"Use this money to help the murder victim's families bury their dead. Anything left over use to help them as they... adjust... to their new circumstances." He gives her a smile and hands her the gold. "If you need more assistance or want to help the true defenders of this city, come to the Long Roads coffeehouse. Ask for a performance by Pellius."

Giving her one last smile, he turns to the others. "Speaking of coffee, I could go for a cup after all that singing."


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira also takes her share and gives it to Zea. After seeing the condition of the Devil's Nursery, she's pretty sure they can't afford to give up that much gold. "Like Pellius says, make sure the victims get proper burials."

She does shake her head at Pellius' thoughts of coffee, a pained look on her face. "There is one more thing we need to do first." She swallows hard as she looks towards the alleyway the tooth fairies had pointed to earlier. "Somewhere in there is the body of a child. We need to find him so he can have a proper burial too."

Assuming no objections, she starts heading in that direction looking for the tooth fairies' lair. If I were a monstrous woman summoning fiends to murder innocent people, where would I have summoned them to?

Perception?: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


After a few moments Kira you find a chamber slowly being decorated with teeth. In the centre is a gold tooth worth 250gp.

In the far side of the area lies the broken, toothless body of a tiefling baby has been set in a place of reverence.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira approaches slowly. "You poor child." Tears start running down her face. "You didn't deserve this."

Her scarf is gnome-sized, but it's still long enough. She gently takes the baby and wraps it up in it. Picking the baby up tenderly, she returns to the others. "I...I found the missing infant." She looks at Zea, a lost expression on her face. "Where should we take him?"

Kira would not pick up the gold tooth. Under the circumstances I don't think she'd even notice it was there, and taking it would feel too much like grave-robbing. That certainly doesn't stop anyone else from taking it if they so desire.


Zea take the child and takes it to the nearest temple to be buried.

What do you want to do next?

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4
Lodoro Balbus wrote:
And justice is done. NOT Vengeance. Justice :-)

Po-tay-to, po-TAH-to. We can talk etymology later. ;)

“If you’re sure you can spare this,” Adonara checks before Zea leaves, before coming up with what she hopes is a suitable expedient, “there’s no reason that we can’t make sure it helps those with the greatest need. Shall we say that we also have an interest in ... fledgling ravens facing perhaps particular challenges in Cheliax? Those with a gift for nimbleness and skills that call for discretion might be easiest for us to help, but I’m sure we can help put many skills to use. They’ll be able to steer you right if you ask for Adonara in most interesting places in Jarvis End, or at Long Roads.”

Thinking ahead, we’ve recruited some of Rutilus’ ragamuffins, right? Given the amount of searching through hotspots lately, if through Zea’s good offices we can get some sneaky tieflings onboard, or in whatever capacity – brains, muscle, etc. – like in the players’ guide, that might be fun.

Also, Adonara is probably too able to dissociate for her own good, and she’d probably pocket the gold tooth to turn into ready. Not for herself, but to contribute to the new Ravens’ fund in a less unnerving form.

Once the group is left alone in the street, for all her talk of discretion, Adonara feels highly conspicuous in her rather alarming dress. That said, perhaps partly because of the seriousness of the night’s events, she does her best to cap Pellius’ suggestion of finding a way to unwind. Extending her arms into the night, the courtesan examines the fairies’ scrapes and pinches and bruises with a critical eye. “Could be worse. Coffee would be nice, and then I’ll see about finding a suitable someone to kiss these better. We could all meet again in the morning to plan our next steps?”

IIRC, Rexus is still working on decoding the original Ravens’ material, we’ve poked about all the arson sites we know about, freed that bunch of prisoners, and now put a stop to these serial killers and investigated the tavern that housed our draconic friend. Am I missing something that we could work on before we take a breath to regroup?


You return to the coffee house, tired after your exertions to find a very excited Rexus greeting you.

"I've done it. I've finished the translation. The last section speaks of how the leaders of the Silver Ravens had seen the writing on the wall- they knew House Thrune was likely to seize control and had come to the difficult decision to surrender should this event come to pass, hoping to prevent Thrune from razing Kintargo. Indications exist that the cache of treasures and documents hidden in the Fair Fortune were intended to serve as a sort of time capsule, should Kintargo forget the Silver Ravens with the passage of time.

There's something more. Reading through the documents I am convinced that my mother survived the Night of Ashes. The Sacred Order of Archivists have long used chambers below a local museum of oddities called Hocum's Fantasmagorium as a secret base of operations. If my mother survived the fire, she may have been silent for so long simply because she's been lying low in the chambers below the museum. The mithral key she left me supposedly opens many locks within the building."

Oh you can have more secret organisation rolls at this point too to see if the Silver Ravens grow.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira can't breathe for a moment. Rexus' mother might be alive? That means Dad... "Do...do you really think that members of the Sacred Order might still be alive? Just hiding?"

She'd resigned herself, as best as she could, to the thought that her father was dead. To hear he might not be...her heart starts pounding in her chest. "We have to go. We have to check it out." I have to know.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Returning to Long Roads, Adonara is pleased to see Rexus’ enthusiasm, but notes a pair of eyes here or there among the late-night regulars that are less eager to catch her attention than previously. She can’t exactly blame them, but it is satisfying both that it’s not an overt snub yet, and that the grapevine seems to be quietly, if somewhat uneasily, spreading the idea that she and her friends are pushing back against Thrune’s tyrannical machinations. A word of encouragement might be appropriate, as might sharing our attentions more widely. Reinforce that we are voicing the will of many, and that is in everyone’s interest to work together for the sort of freedom they want.

Filing the thought away for the moment, she listens to Rexus’ report with great interest. “That’s wonderful!”

“Not least because another nest is always welcome,” whether for wasps or ravens, or archivists, she says, before catching herself, realizing that such stark calculation marks a bit of her ruthless professional persona creeping into a conversation that doesn’t call for it. “But most importantly, if there’s any hope that you two’s parents might still be safe… I’ve spent a couple of spells tonight, but if everyone else is feeling brave, I have no objection to investigating right away once I can put more practical armour on.”

I've put some ideas for our organization rolls in the discussion thread, since I didn't want to gum up gameplay or be too domineering with my suggestions. After all, right now Adonara's off the clock. ;)


Knowledge History, local or Diplomacy to find out more about the Fantasmagorium.


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

Lodoro would also turn his share of the reward over to the Tieflings.

He is practical enough to want to take the gold tooth, though.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

"I agree, the sooner that we investigate the better. Lets make sure we have some food and water, just in case, and go and hopefully rescue them"

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

The Fantasmagorium, is it? Adonara casts her mind over what she was able to learn back in Kyonin before setting out for Cheliax, and then from a more adventurous Kintargan or two among those who tried to gain her attention once she established herself in the city.

Know (history): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Local attractions weren't prominent in the accounts of Kintargo in her cathedral library, but from locals themselves she remembers a bit more. Didn't that - Ligeia, was it? - creature and her friends try to convince me that it would be a perfect place for my sort of party, because it was bound to be weird and wild after being shut up for so long? Spare me, darling. It's not all about mise en scène, which you would know if you were serious about -- but she did also say...

Even if Adonara's Diplomacy check isn't quite good enough to pick anything else up, I thought I'd at least flesh out her cudgelling her brains with what the Player's Guide had to say about the place.


Lodoro and Adonara you know that the Fantasmagorium was the passion of a struggling stage magician and salesman named Braedan "Hocum" Azperex. The man had the building constructed a year after the Chelish Civil War ended, with the goal of "bringing whimsy and joy back to Kintargo."

His plan was to have the Fantasmagorium serve as a museum of fantastic oddities and "authentic" magical phenomena. His charm and showmanship transformed the bizarre concept into a minor success for many years, but when the exhibits (most of which were either grossly exaggerated or utter hoaxes) began to lose some of their novelty, the Fantasmagorium struggled to make ends meet. It finally went out of business 20 years ago, and Hocum died not long thereafter-the building has remained shut down and something of an eyesore ever since. Once the Fantasmagorium began struggling financially, the Sacred Order of Archivists secretly purchased the building from Hocum to use as its own hidden headquarters.


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira bites her lip, looking extremely troubled. "I...I want to go now, but...I don't think it's a good idea. It's very late. Early? Maybe that makes it less likely we'll be followed, but it also makes it more likely that if anyone sees us they'll want to know what we're doing. Plus we're all tired, and Adonara and Rutilus are both still bleeding a little, and..." For a second the gnome looks like she's about to start crying, but she calms herself down.

Quieter, as if trying to convince herself, she adds, "If Dad and Rexus' parents have hidden out this long, they'll still be there in the morning. I mean, later in the morning."

The tooth fairies attacked at midnight. With everyone we've done since then, it's got to be close to 3am by now.


Yeah its now about 3pm - also if you are seen outside you would be guilty of breaking curfew

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

Knew I was forgetting something! Phew!

Though she tries her best not to show it, one can see Adonara relax a bit in response to Kira’s generous offer of patience.

“We were lucky tonight – and I suppose it shows how much the powers that be really care for what happens in Devil’s Nursery – but I’m not sure we would want to tempt fate by crossing Bleakbridge one more time after curfew. Still,” she says, trying for gentle optimism, “I doubt the Fantasmagorium, at least, is at any more risk tonight. It’s been closed for ten years and then some, hasn’t it? Last I heard, it’s the sort of place people boast dares about and maybe promise to have some shocking fun with one day, but mainly has just been abandoned.”

“Shows you can only go so far with charlatanry,” she adds, stifling a yawn, but with an audible hint of a performer’s affection for showmanship, even if she takes her own roles considerably more seriously. “So it ought to be an ideal refuge for those who actually know what they’re doing. On that note, I’ll bid you all good – well, morning, until the sun rises, at least?”

With that, she’ll retire to rest, unless there’s anything else that needs to be dealt with right away after all.


Is everyone Ok if we move things on to the following morning?


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Sounds good to me.

Kira spends a somewhat restless night in the Wasp's Nest. This is the first real lead she's had on her father since he disappeared, and the combination of hope and fear doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

She's up earlier than she really should be, considering the time she went to sleep, but it would be impossible for her to stay in bed any longer. Laria sees the bags under her eyes and shoves coffee in her direction, which helps immensely. She sips it while waiting for the others to arrive.


Later that morning

This sprawling, single-storey structure has certainly seen better days. The building's stone facade stands out amid the brick-lined walls of its neighbouring structures, and numerous windows to the left and right are boarded up. Signs advertise rates and incredible exhibits within, and above everything a crimson sign announces "Hocum's Fantasmagorium!" A large lock hangs from the front door.

Silver Crusade

Female Elf Warpriest (Wasp Zealot) 2 / Magus (Spire Defender) 1 HP 23/23 | AC 17 | T 13 | FF 14 | CMD 15 | Fort +6 | Ref +2| Will +7 | Init +2 | Perc + 4

A decent night’s sleep works wonders, and Adonara bounces back enthusiastically with an early start, making her appearance with a purse that rings satisfyingly heavily with gold coins to add to the Ravens’ treasury. (From the gold tooth from the fairies.)

She’s glad, too, that the next order of business doesn’t preclude the protection of armour, and the layer of steel – to say nothing of the additional space for weapons that don’t have to be concealed in sleeves or skirts – does marvels for one’s self-confidence. With a long black cloak on top, she can still easily disappear into the narrow streets’ shadows if necessary.

It’s from those shadows that she takes in the gaudy façade, a raised eyebrow silently betraying her assessment. Perception, looking for signs of recent disturbances – footprints, if any of the window coverings have come loose, that sort of thing: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

After a moment, she slides Rexus’ mithral key out of a pocket and says quietly, “Let’s see just how many locks this opens.” If that’s not the right key, and the coast is clear, she’ll take out her thieves’ tools.


There are no signs of any recent disturbance outside. The key opens the lock.

To one side (B2) this large room holds various theatrical costumes, ropes, posts, blank signs and banners, paints, and some well-worn musical instruments, as well as an open cashbox for the daily ticket receipts.


Aasimar L2 Warrior Poet/L1 Paladin | HP 33/33 AC 18, Touch 14, Flat 14 | F +6, R+4, W+2 | Per +0, SM +10 |Init +4 | Speed 30 ft |

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Which map are we on now?

I THINK that we're on map 7, but if so the reference to B2 is confusing me

Almost regardless ...

Lodoro advances, glaive at the ready. He also starts to look for evil in the room


Have cleared some of the maps - we are on slide 4- sorry my bad, should be E2


Female Gnome Oracle 3 | HP 24/24 | AC: 18 (T: 14, FF: 15)| Saves (+3 vs illusions, +2 vs fear/despair, +4 vs charm/compulsion): F:+3, R:+3, W:+3 | BAB: +2, CMB: +3, CMD: +12, | Init: +2 | Low-Light vision | Perc. +9, SM +6 | Spells: (1st) 2/6

Kira follows after Lodoro, eyes wide as she takes in the sight. For once she's not wearing her studded leather armor. Instead she wears a what appears to be a simple coat the color of the night sky. Her hand briefly clutches her holy symbol of Desna before reluctantly hiding it once again. Please, Starsong, Great Dreamer, let us find who we're looking for.

She pays particularly close attention to the ground. If the place had been abandoned as long as Adonara suggested, it should be coated with dust. Evidence of people recently passing by would make it all the more likely that the Sacred Order was here. "Let's be thorough," she whispers. Something about the place all but requires quiet. "Check every room as we get to it." She takes her own advice by quickly looking through the various props.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

851 to 900 of 1,126 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.