GM Abraham's Emerald Spire

Game Master Abraham Z.

Emerald Spire slides
Emerald Spire quests
Knowledge Checks
Spell Templates


1 to 50 of 2,645 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Emerald Spire slides |

Emerald Spire: Level 3 - Splinterden


Emerald Spire slides |

As the group returns from their journey into the cellars of the Emerald Spire, they seem to get caught in some sort of temporal bog or swamp, causing the short six-mile trip to take what seems like a month or more. Fortunately, the effect is temporary, and eventually they arrive at the gates of Fort Inevitable, where they are greeted by stern Hellknight guards.

"Ah, the adventurers, back again are you? Surprised you weren't all eaten alive by a giant toad, but I suppose there's yet time for that... Anyway, best go make your report to the Commander. I'm sure she'll want to hear what you've learned."

Without even a chance to freshen up, the Pathfinders soon find themselves at the Citadel #32 on the Fort Inevitable map. The single strongest fortification in the Crusader Road region, the Commander’s Citadel is a roomy, octagonal tower more than 90 feet tall. It's not long before the group is ushered into the office of Paralictor Audara Drovust, who looks up from her paperwork and frowns when she sees you. "You lot? Again? Well, out with it then - what did you find?"

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

She nods in acknowledgment of he Paralictor.

Heccuba will give an account of their last investigation of the Tower.


Emerald Spire slides |
Heccuba wrote:


She nods in acknowledgment of he Paralictor.

Heccuba will give an account of their last investigation of the Tower.

Feel free to do this in character (perhaps with help from your friends). Doesn't need to be crazy detailed - I know it's been awhile.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

I am reading back on the old thread to jog my memory :)

Silver Crusade

Male Half-orc Paladin 4 (Redeemer) AC 23, T 11, FF 19 | F +10/R+6/W+6 | HP 16/36 | CMB +6, CMD 18/17F | Init +1 | Perception -2 | Condition: None

"Giant toad, no, but almost by a giant spider. The worst we found were undead. One posing as someone needing help, the other some kind of cleric with skeleton guards. But we vanquished them all," he adds with a smile.

He let someone else explain the loot they found.

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

Dotting in.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

We were able to vanquish these foes she adds.

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

Sorry, I honestly don't remember much other than "Killed skeletons and spiders, picked up loot.

Romulus puts forth the sack of loot.

All ready to be declared and taxed as is appropriate.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

I agree :)

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Paladin (Chosen One) 2/Oracle (Seeker) 1 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 21 T: 13 FF: 19 | CMB: 3, CMD: 15 | F: 7 R: 1 W: 6* | Init: 2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: 21 CLW Charges Used
Resources:
| Racial Spell Like Ability: 4/4 | Oracle Spells: (1st): 3/4 | Share Will: 1/1 | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Lay On Hands: 1/4

On the trek back Altovin heard something calling out to him in ruins they passed. Being drawn to it enough to set aside his fear he fell back from the group.

Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13 For if anyone actually noticed.

---

Some time after the group as returned and are preparing to enter The Citadel he comes running up as fast as his gnome legs can carry him. His demeanor a bit different than before and a small thrush is close behind.

"I-I am so sorry I fell behind. There was something I needed to check out and I am glad I did...this little guy was being attacked by a group of crows. I heard him calling out but it sounded like my name. The ruins...it was an altar...I finally found a connection..." he says trying to catch his breath between sentences. He shakes his head and realizes he is rambling quite loud so he quiets down.


NG Thrush Emissary of Jaidz

"Jaidz! Altovin's courage. Jaidz!" his new Thrush companion adds to the story after landing on his shoulder. He inquisitively looks at the others.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

Book takes a look at the thrush and hisses.


Emerald Spire slides |

If Paralictor Drovust wore spectacles she would peer over them at all of you with a most severe expression. [b]"That's all?! Well, it's hard to see what sort of reports you will be able to make based on that summary. And, needless to say, there is no place for juvenile humor about toads here. Go ahead and file your written reports - in triplicate, of course - with the clerk outside once you have completed them. And - if you haven't already - be sure to pay the fee for your warrants.

If it wasn't already mentioned earlier by GM Volandis: Adventurers operating from Fort Inevitable purchase a letter of warrant for 50 gp per year, and agree to turn over 30 percent of the coin, goods, and property they confiscate to the Citadel (this is already factored in on your chronicles). The lady commander’s agents also require reports of just what actions were taken with a letter of warrant. If you haven't already purchased such a warrant, please note one on your inventory tracking sheet and deduct 50 gp from your gold.

The PCs are free to seek lodging or otherwise explore the town while they prepare themselves to once again delve into the Spire.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

how does the tax impact pfs reward?

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

I think the tax is pre-calculated in.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Paladin (Chosen One) 2/Oracle (Seeker) 1 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 21 T: 13 FF: 19 | CMB: 3, CMD: 15 | F: 7 R: 1 W: 6* | Init: 2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: 21 CLW Charges Used
Resources:
| Racial Spell Like Ability: 4/4 | Oracle Spells: (1st): 3/4 | Share Will: 1/1 | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Lay On Hands: 1/4

Altovin stays mostly quiet for the debrief as he was sent in late and lacked the full story.

After leaving the office he looks to the various group members and you realize his eyes have clouded over but he is speaking with more confidence. Also did some rework before applying that level two changing a curse around.

"Saving Courage from those crows makes me want to be of more help down in those ruins...I need to run and grab some more equipment! If anyone else is heading to those parts of town feel free to join me. Easier to get to know you when s-spiders aren't crawling around."

Never going to be brave around spiders...

As he heads off Courage starts calling out things to buy till the gnome repeats it back.

"Shield. Armor. Wand...."

Also buying the warrant and will update my profile/herolab sheet.


Emerald Spire slides |
Romulus Arrowsong wrote:
I think the tax is pre-calculated in.

Correct. Sorry if that wasn't clear. The gold you receive on your chronicle sheets already reflects the cut that the Hellknights are taking.


Emerald Spire slides |

Altovin, and anyone else who wants to join him, heads into the town to see about buying some sturdy arms and armor. It's not long before he finds himself at Rillin's Armory (#25 on the Fort Inevitable map). Master armorer Rillin Nadinghad (LN female old human expert 6) is widely acknowledged as the best crafter of plate armor for a hundred miles around Fort Inevitable. Her workshop and store have stood in Fountain Square for decades. She and her team of armorers—mostly her own grown children, aided by a handful of indentured servants who work the bellows and stoke the furnaces—create and sell most forms of armor with significant metalwork.

An old lady wipes the sweat from her brow and sets down her hammer and tongs. "Ah, a customer by the looks a' ya... Well ain't that just fine. What can I do you for?"

...

Those of you who wish to secure lodging for the group are directed to the Juliver Arms (13 on map). Large and comfortable by anyone’s standards, it is the best inn to be found in Fort Inevitable. It’s under the management of a bustling clan of halflings named the Reedbanks, who pride themselves on setting a lavish table. The accommodations are not cheap: the Reedbanks cater to wealthy merchants and adventurers with loose pockets. The clan patriarch is Doliver Reedbank.

...

And, just inserting here in case GM Volandis didn't cover it earlier...

Earlier, on the road towards Fort Inevitable, the group had learned some things about the town:

Between the Echo Wood and the broad expanse of the West Sellen River stands a resolute stronghold of law and order: the walled town of Fort Inevitable. From its stern keep, companies of Hellknights ride forth to enforce the strict laws of their commander and bring authority to the unclaimed lands of the Crusader Road. While the taxes imposed by the town’s rulers are heavy and the laws inflexible, no one can deny that prosperity has followed the Hellknights’ establishment of hard justice in this small corner of the River Kingdoms. Merchants, travelers, and adventurers journeying on the Crusader Road find that Fort Inevitable provides a rare island of safety in an otherwise lawless land—so long as one is careful not to run afoul of the Hellknights’ laws.

Fort Inevitable stands on the rolling plains near the West Sellen River, close to the forest. This is a rich and gentle land; the town is surrounded by green pastures and wide, golden fields of grain. A strong stone wall with battlements and gatehouses protects Fort Inevitable, and within this formidable defense, the town is an orderly collection of two- and three-story stone houses and workshops with roofs of red tile or blue slate. If the streets seem a little cheerless and drab, at least they’re paved with good cobblestones and cleared regularly.

Nothing epitomizes the essential nature of Fort Inevitable as aptly as the stone citadel of the Hellknights (Location 32 on map), which looms over the town. There is no difference between martial law and civil authority in Fort Inevitable. The senior officer of the garrison rules as the lord or lady commander, directly overseeing civic administration as well as exercising military command. The current commander is a stern, middle-aged Chelish woman named Paralictor Audara Drovust (whom you have already met). She is the commanding officer of the Order of the Pike’s chapter in the Crusader Road region, ruler of the Citadel, high magistrate, tax assessor, director of public works, keeper of the treasury, and chief regulator of business and commerce. No important aspect of the town’s life and activity is left outside the lady commander’s authority.

Fort Inevitable was a good-sized village with extensive trade and commerce before the Hellknights chose it as their base on the Crusader Road, and its people still work as farmers, herders, artisans, and merchants. Law-abiding citizens find the lady commander’s rule to be firm but manageable. Those who don’t find a respectable profession or who fall into debt see a different side of Fort Inevitable, as both slavery and indentured servitude are legal here.

Silver Crusade

Male Half-orc Paladin 4 (Redeemer) AC 23, T 11, FF 19 | F +10/R+6/W+6 | HP 16/36 | CMB +6, CMD 18/17F | Init +1 | Perception -2 | Condition: None

Dasus follows after Altovin after all the paperwork is done, "Thank you, I need to see the armoursmith as well."

Once they are outside of the hearing range of the Hellknights, he gives a sigh and says, "I despise being forced to work with these Hellknights. They have a sense of law, but not justice."

Still, he cheers up a bit as they approach the armoury. He waves for Altovin to go first, but afterward he makes his own order, "The banded mail you sold me helped save my life, but I've come into some coin. May I trade it in for a suit of your finest full plate?"

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

Romulus stands at the door near Dasus and nods.

I agree Dasus. Can't say I like the idea of promoting slavery much either... though if there is one thing i've learned, where hellknights go, their enemies follow.

He looks away as if staring at the clouds.

How would a man, such as yourself, feel about aiding criminals? If those criminals acted for a greater purpose, like ensuring that free men live free? I could ask around... drop some questions here and there... see if any local groups have objections to the hellknight ways...

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Paladin (Chosen One) 2/Oracle (Seeker) 1 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 21 T: 13 FF: 19 | CMB: 3, CMD: 15 | F: 7 R: 1 W: 6* | Init: 2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: 21 CLW Charges Used
Resources:
| Racial Spell Like Ability: 4/4 | Oracle Spells: (1st): 3/4 | Share Will: 1/1 | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Lay On Hands: 1/4

Altovin nods with the statements of the other two.

"Law is all they care for...not for the plight of others. It is a sad thing and only makes it more difficult to know if you are doing the right thing. Maybe that is why I prefer being in ruins and exploring." he adds quietly not to draw any unwanted attention.

He smiles with thanks as he gets to make his order first, "These short legs may not be quite ready for plate but a mithral shirt and a heavy wooden shield would be the perfect fit. Can't protect anyone if I can't keep up, heh."

Hoping he didn't disappoint the plate expert he smiles and pays his coin while seeing what the others order.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

She and Book will go to the Signifer's shop to see what she might be able to find in terms of magic.

Silver Crusade

Male Half-orc Paladin 4 (Redeemer) AC 23, T 11, FF 19 | F +10/R+6/W+6 | HP 16/36 | CMB +6, CMD 18/17F | Init +1 | Perception -2 | Condition: None

That seems to be a tough question. Dasus considers, for a few moments, and then says, "The law is important, but it is more important that people remain free. I can't abide cruelty for the sake of laws."

Sorry for the delay, voice issues again.

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

No worries brother, we're pretty slow burn here anyways.

Romulus nods and tips a imaginary cap.

I'll see what I can find out.

He heads out in the village to ask around.

Diplomacy gather info: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

But, unsurprisingly, no one is willing to talk to an out of town stranger. Maybe as he ingratiates himself more into the community, he'll be better off.

In the meantime, he let's the others know he's ready to head back into the spire when they are.


Emerald Spire slides |

We'll pick up with further RP in the town after the next level. For now, after such a long hiatus, I imagine that you are all eager to get started with the dungeon crawl again! So let's do it!

After completing their business in town and making any necessary purchases, the Pathfinders once again dare to enter the forbidding depths of the Emerald Spire. Passing through the first two levels without incident, they easily reach the entrance to the third level: Splinterden!

Some general features of this level: posting now so I don't forget later.
* Doors: The doors are unlocked good wooden doors, except where otherwise noted.
* Walls: The walls are made of dressed stone blocks, covered in plaster and painted. Some feature murals in an advanced state of decay, while others feature new (and somewhat amateurish) murals.
* Floors: Except where noted, all corridor and room floors are covered with large tiles.
* Illumination: Small oil lamps illuminate all the corridors and occupied rooms. They are not very bright, providing only dim light.

Broad stone stairs open into a small, irregularly shaped chamber lit by oil lamps. To the east, a short flight of steps leads up to a sturdy door set in the middle of a wall and flanked by arrow slits. To the north, a wide gate of iron bars blocks an archway leading to a larger chamber filled with the eerie green glow of the Emerald Spire.

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

Romulus sets his bow to hand and looks in as they go, and waves a hand with a bow to the others.

After you!

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

The witch will cast mage armor on herself and then cast dancing lights.


NG Thrush Emissary of Jaidz

"In! In! Altovin goes!" Courage ushers Altovin as the gnome glances wearily at the others.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Paladin (Chosen One) 2/Oracle (Seeker) 1 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 21 T: 13 FF: 19 | CMB: 3, CMD: 15 | F: 7 R: 1 W: 6* | Init: 2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: 21 CLW Charges Used
Resources:
| Racial Spell Like Ability: 4/4 | Oracle Spells: (1st): 3/4 | Share Will: 1/1 | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Lay On Hands: 1/4

Altovin sighs before stepping up and peeking around the corner with his shield at the ready.

If it is clear he steps up with a determined look.

"Doesn't look like spiders at least." he says looking to the others.


Emerald Spire slides |
GM Abraham's Initiative Card wrote:

00:00 || Out of combat

Conditions:
Altovin - dmg;
Voice of Courage - dmg;
Dasus - dmg;
Heccuba - dmg; mage armor (3:00);
Romulus - dmg;

Descending the stairs, the group stands in the small chamber already described.

To the east, a few steps lead up to a landing, in the center of which stands a door, flanked by arrow slits. The door looks quite sturdy - it is wooden and wrapped with iron bands - and has an obvious keyhole, though from where the Pathfinders stand it is impossible to tell whether or not the door is locked.

To the north, the path forward is blocked by a gate consisting of a 10-foot-wide section of bars. A cursory examination suggests that the gate is quite strong.

Beyond the gate, the party can see that the Emerald Spire protrudes from the western wall of this room. Stairs lead down from the gate into the central portion of the room, while another similar set of stairs on the opposite side of the room lead up to another sturdy looking wooden door, also flanked by arrow slits. Next to the east wall, narrow stone steps descend to some unknown destination.

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

Romulus looks about.

Any chance of getting that gate open? If not, looks like our best bet is to try that door.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Paladin (Chosen One) 2/Oracle (Seeker) 1 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 21 T: 13 FF: 19 | CMB: 3, CMD: 15 | F: 7 R: 1 W: 6* | Init: 2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: 21 CLW Charges Used
Resources:
| Racial Spell Like Ability: 4/4 | Oracle Spells: (1st): 3/4 | Share Will: 1/1 | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Lay On Hands: 1/4

"Let me check for traps before we try to get either open...help me out will you Courage. I-I don't want anyone to get hurt." Altovin volunteers.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Perception (Courage): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Emerald Spire slides |
GM Abraham's Initiative Card wrote:

00:00 || Round 1

Conditions:
Heccuba - dmg; mage armor (3:00);
Romulus - dmg;
Blue - dmg;
Voice of Courage - dmg;
Altovin - 9 dmg; 1 DEX dmg; poisoned (0/?) Fort save needed on your turn;
Dasus - 9 dmg;
Red - dmg;

Neither Altovin nor his thrush notice any traps. And the gate does not seem to have any obvious way of opening, at least from here. Before the group has a chance to open the door, however, a pair of crossbow bolts come flying out of the arrow slits at the unwary adventurers!

Surprise Round

first Target, 1 Dasus, 2 Altovin, 3 Courage: 1d3 ⇒ 1
second Target, 1 Altovin, 2 Courage: 1d2 ⇒ 1

Crossbow vs Dasus flat-footed, PBS: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 1 = 26 Uh oh!
CRIT CONFIRM? Crossbow vs Dasus flat-footed, pbs: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 1 = 19 barely confirms against flat-footed due to point blank shot
bolt dmg, pbs: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 + sneak attack: 1d6 ⇒ 4 + CRIT bolt dmg, pbs: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
The first bolt strikes the brave Paladin and manages to hit his vital organs!
Dasus Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Dasus senses that there was something smeared upon the crossbow bolt, but he is fortunately able to fight off any poisonous effect that it might have carried.

Crossbow vs Altovin flat-footed, pbs: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 1 = 18
bolt dmg, pbs: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 + sneak attack: 1d6 ⇒ 6
The second bolt just barely manages to pierce through Altovin's armor.
Altovin Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
And he is not quite able to fight off the poison on the bolt.
1 Dex dmg

Initiative:

Altovin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Courage: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Dasus: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Heccuba: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Romulus: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Red: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Blue: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Through the arrow slits, the Pathfinders can just barely make out the two foes that shot at them. They appear to be humanoids but other than that, little can be seen. If you wish to target them through the arrow slits, they have improved cover against you

Improved Cover rules:
In some cases, such as attacking a target hiding behind an arrowslit, cover may provide a greater bonus to AC and Reflex saves. In such situations, the normal cover bonuses to AC and Reflex saves can be doubled (to +8 and +4, respectively). A creature with this improved cover effectively gains improved evasion against any attack to which the Reflex save bonus applies. Furthermore, improved cover provides a +10 bonus on Stealth checks.

Heccuba and Romulus are up!

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

Romulus sets his arrow and prepares.

I'll try and give someone some cover, Dasus, Can you get that door open? The hard way if necessary?
Readied action vs. first attack versus teammate covering fire.
Ranged Aid Another Vs AC 10: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
On success, 1 Teammate + all people who share this feat gain +4 to AC.


Emerald Spire slides |

Romulus, can you clarify what the condition of your readied action is?

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

The readied action is an attack on a teammate is made.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

The witch will try to put one to sleep with her hex,

DC 15 Will


Emerald Spire slides |
GM Abraham's Initiative Card wrote:

00:00 || Round 1

Conditions:
Heccuba - dmg; mage armor (3:00);
Romulus - dmg; readied action (when an ally is attacked, but note aid AC was not successful)
Blue - dmg;
Voice of Courage - dmg;
Altovin - 9 dmg; 1 DEX dmg; poisoned (0/?) Fort save needed on your turn;
Dasus - 9 dmg;
Red - dmg; prone, crossbow dropped;

Romulus, since the target for your readied action is behind improved cover, he gains +8 to AC, so you will need to hit an 18 for your Aid to succeed.

The witch wiggles her eyebrows at one of the archers through the slit...
Will DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Blue 1, Red 2: 1d2 ⇒ 2
... and she hears a thump as something slumps to the ground behind the wall. Those who listen carefully can hear the sound of gentle snoring.

Even those who are not listening carefully can easily hear a shout, following by a voice exclaiming, "Hey, Frank, this is no time for a snooze! What are you doing? Wake up!" There is another noise - perhaps of a kick being delivered - and an exclamation of pain - "Ow! Hey, watch it! I'm busy here. Just give me a few more minutes..."

GM screen:

Blue: 5' step, standard action to wake up Red, move action to reload crossbow.

Courage, Altovin, and Dasus are up!

Silver Crusade

Male Half-orc Paladin 4 (Redeemer) AC 23, T 11, FF 19 | F +10/R+6/W+6 | HP 16/36 | CMB +6, CMD 18/17F | Init +1 | Perception -2 | Condition: None

Dasus grunts as the poisoned bolt finds a way through the openings in his new armour, but shaking it off he moves towards the gate. With no obvious ways of opening it, he braces his shoulder and tries to slam it open.

Strength check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Emerald Spire slides |

The door does not budge.

Btw, I think I forgot to mention: Each arrow slit flanking the door is 6 inches wide and 3 feet high.

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int
GM Abraham wrote:


Romulus, since the target for your readied action is behind improved cover, he gains +8 to AC, so you will need to hit an 18 for your Aid to succeed.

Not to dispute you GM, but the aid another action is just vs. AC 10, not against the target, any bonuses to AC that the target has shouldn't matter or change it.. though, my feat specifically gives me range penalties for using a ranged attack to give aid another, I don't think that applies in this situation.

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Paladin (Chosen One) 2/Oracle (Seeker) 1 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 21 T: 13 FF: 19 | CMB: 3, CMD: 15 | F: 7 R: 1 W: 6* | Init: 2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: 21 CLW Charges Used
Resources:
| Racial Spell Like Ability: 4/4 | Oracle Spells: (1st): 3/4 | Share Will: 1/1 | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Lay On Hands: 1/4

Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Altovin still grimacing from the bolt feels his body working against the poison as he begins to sweat.

He heads towards the door bracing himself against it and attempts to open it. If it doesn't give he crouches low and starts to work on the lock.

Courage seeing his master move into action stays close giving hims guidance. Standard Action: Guidance on Altovin.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 1 = 18

"Cover me and I will get this door open..."


Emerald Spire slides |
GM Abraham's Initiative Card wrote:

00:00 || Round 2

Conditions:
Heccuba - dmg; mage armor (3:00);
Romulus - dmg; readied action (when an ally is attacked);
Blue - dmg;
Courage - dmg;
Altovin - 9 dmg; 1 DEX dmg;
Dasus - 9 dmg;
Red - dmg;

@Romulus, you are quite right. Thanks for the reminder. I think I incorrectly gave one of my PCs a flank bonus on an aid another attempt just the other day...

@Dasus, sorry I misread your post and thought you were trying to knock down the door. The gate, however, also does not budge.

Altovin successfully fights off the poison from the crossbow bolt and then heads to the door to try to open it, aided by his loyal thrush. However, he is unable to jigger the lock, which appears to be a high quality one.

GM screen:

Red stands up and picks up his crossbow (which is still not re-loaded).

The pathfinders are unable to see what may be happening on the other side of the door.

Beginning of Round 2

Heccuba and Romulus may act!

Silver Crusade

LG Male Gnome Paladin (Chosen One) 2/Oracle (Seeker) 1 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 21 T: 13 FF: 19 | CMB: 3, CMD: 15 | F: 7 R: 1 W: 6* | Init: 2 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: 21 CLW Charges Used
Resources:
| Racial Spell Like Ability: 4/4 | Oracle Spells: (1st): 3/4 | Share Will: 1/1 | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Lay On Hands: 1/4

"Or not..." Altovin says as it proves to be too great.

No...no...no...I can't fail now.

The Exchange

Male Human Bard 4 hp 27 (4d8+4) AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +2 Dex) Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic +8 Perception +2 Int

Romulus moves up to Altovin and places a hand on his shoulder as he mutters the words to a spell.

Let me help...

Activating "Borrow skill", so that I get Altovin's disable device ranks.

Romulus let's the magic fill his mind with locks and traps and Altovin's skill as he begins to mutter...
Okay, you just forgot to take into account the tumbler bearings, you got this...

Disable Device Aid another: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Altovin will get a +4 on his next disable device check.

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

She will misfortune the guy who keeps shooting at us
dc 15 will


Emerald Spire slides |
GM Abraham's Initiative Card wrote:

00:00 || Round 2

Conditions:
Heccuba - dmg; mage armor (3:00);
Romulus - dmg;
Blue - dmg; Misfortune (expires round 3);
Courage - dmg;
Altovin - 9 dmg; 1 DEX dmg; +4 to next Disable Device check;
Dasus - 9 dmg;
Red - dmg;

Blue Will DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

@Heccuba, is there any reason you didn't choose to Cackle to extend the Misfortune hex? You have a move action available if you want to use it.

Feeling the unluckiness of the witch's hex, Blue attempts to skewer her with a crossbow bolt.
Blue crossbow, PBS: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 1 = 14 OR Blue crossbow, PBS: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 1 = 24
Fortunately, the combination of his misfortune and her mage armor are sufficient to protect her.

Courage, Altovin, and Dasus are up!

Dark Archive

Init +7; Senses Perception +4 ————— Defense ————— AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex) hp 14 (1d6+2) Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4 (+2 Trait bonus vs. mind-affecting spells and effects from demons)

Wouldnt I need to see if it impacts the person first?


Emerald Spire slides |
Heccuba wrote:
Wouldnt I need to see if it impacts the person first?

Yes, but in PbP it's reasonable to just say that you'll Cackle and then you can retcon and do something else with the move action if the Hex failed. Or, for particularly complex decision trees you can put things in spoilers: "if the hex fails..." "if the hex succeeds..." The reason it matters that you cackle this round is that otherwise, even if you succeed, your hex will expire before your next turn (i.e. before you could cackle to extend it), because effects that you create expire just before your turn on whatever round they expire. So if you Misfortune (successfully) and immediately Cackle you can keep the hex going through the entire fight by continuing to cackle ever round (and then start adding on other bothersome hexes as well), but if you Misfortune successfully and then don't Cackle, you'll only get the advantage of it for a single round. (My PC for when I played the Emerald Spire was a witch too! She's now almost level 16 and in the midst of the final boss fight of the last book of the Iron Gods AP).

1 to 50 of 2,645 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Abraham's Emerald Spire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.