Adventures from Absalom

Game Master trawets71

A group of adventures set out to find fame and fortune from Absolom

Maps
Courthouse
Courthouse Upper Levels


51 to 100 of 533 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::listens intently to debate, trying to make sense of what's happening::


The half orc shakes his head and says "That is true, the verdict was unanimous. Ebin, Malgrim, Patrissa, Killian, Sir Rekkart, myself and the six who aren't here all found him guilty. Nothing sinister in that."

Malgrim speaks up at this point, "There was nothing fishy about the trial. There's no need to go digging into it."

When Volta mentions taking a whizz there is a childlike giggle heard from out in the hallway


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Ianfir pulls the axe from the wall and with one raise brow, entertains his curiosity enough to peek out into the hall where the giggle came from.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Groff grunts and mutters "Just what I heard. "


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta whirls at the sound of the giggle. He calls out, "Hi there! I'm Volta, who are you? Please come out where I can see you. I'd like to talk, wouldn't that be fun?" Volta tries to be charming in an untutored way.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12 Charming but unskilled.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Not saying that you made a wrong verdict give the evidence presented. But, maybe there was some evidence that wasn't presented?


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

"Well, apparently someone didn't like the verdict," Kanna says, rubbing her shoulder unconsciously.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::nods to Kanna:: "Aye, whoever brought us here is not happy with the verdict and maybe they want the family name cleared"


Ianfir walks to the door and pokes his head outside and sees nothing that would have giggled. Eight enormous marble pillars fill this great hall, holding aloft grand balconies. Years of dust cover the floor, and muslin coverings are draped over the railings of baroque staircases curling like lazy serpents up to the raised landings above. A rusted chandelier above sheds the dim light of a few guttering candles. An impressive grandfather clock more than ten feet tall rests against the center of the western wall, its face decorated with guilty souls suffering Asmodeus’ torments: evisceration, force-feasting of coals, scalding blades tearing them apart, and other less savory punishments. The clock stands between a set of impressive oak doors and a lone oak door of equitable splendor, identical to another set across the hall. The largest set of doors is at the south end of this long hall. They are barred against the night.

Malgrim growls at the group "The prosecution made it's case and we convicted the murderer. If there was any more evidence then the defense would have brought it up. We've more pressing matters than a ten year old trial, we need to get out of here."

Sir Rekkart stands next to Patrissa and tries to assure the newcomers "I know that the trial was fair. I was part of it. Do you think I would have let injustice be done? Iomedae would never let me continue in her service had I done an injustice like that."

Kn: Local DC 15:
After hearing Malgrim Hurkes’s name a few times you recall his reputation as a bloodthirsty killer who runs a gang called the Grindle Street Shades. He is a fearsome cutthroat with a reputation for garroting—with his spiked chain—any who cross him.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

'how was the jury chosen? Was everyone a stable person?


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Ianfir presses the hall door to open and moves out of the courtroom, Three-Toes at the heel. Slowly and methodically Ianfir dares moving to the door that is barred to the outside to see if the bar might be lifted, but careful not to cross under the chandelier.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth looks at anything left on or around the evidence table after parts of the ceiling fell in on it.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta, getting no other response, sees Ianfir daringly move out to the door and joins him at the door. He's ready to dodge the next bizarre attack and looks over the door for traps or tricks and evaluates it for how to get it open with his considerable talent for unwanted entry or exit.

Volta talks to Ianfir, "Nice friend you have there, I'm Volta, let me see if there are any trouble at this door, I'm kinda good at getting out of places."

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 Is the door area trapped or tricked out in any way? Does Volta see a way to get the door open with his skills? Trapfinding bonus included.


Sir Rekkart turns to Seldion and says "Half of the jury is here and you can judge for yourself as to our stability, the others were about the same as us. The judge seated the jury and all was fair." His eyes then shift to Ianfir as he heads for the door and Volta follows him.

As Ianfir steps out into the hallway with Volta a little behind him, the grandfather clock goes berserk, tolling and clanging dissonantly. Everyone experiences images of strangulation, death, and murder by axe. Everyone make a will save or take:

Will Save DC 15: 1d4 ⇒ 1 Wisdom damage

After the clock sounds everyone hears a childlike giggle receding into the distance.

After recovering from the assault Volta examines the doors outside and finds no traps but the doors are stuck shut.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

The tolling of the grandfather clock alarms Finngrath, the images of strangulation racing through his head. Fortunately, as a dwarf and a trained clergy member, he is able to fight through the images without permanent damage. With the doors stuck fast, he wonders what needs to happen to free themselves of this run-down courtroom that seems to mock Abadar's justice.

Will DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

will save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Already off kilter from someone influencing his mind, the blaring clock drives daggers into his sanity.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

The clock images are disturbing but the giggling creature is even more so. Volta tries holding on to his sanity.

Will Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

It's not clear if we are suppose to roll the wisdom damage ourselves or what you rolled is the damage.

By the narrowest of margins Volta fails, he mind spinning from the twisted images. Volta stumbles back to the group as soon as he can.


What I rolled is the damage.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Sheesh, someone really doesn't want us to leave"


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

"Aaaahrgh!" Kanna screams as the ringing of the clock digs at her sanity.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

is the case on the grandfather clock openable?


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Regardless of the fairness of the trial, the spirits felt strongly about the outcome or else we wouldn't be here witnessing any of this. I just saw murders by strangulation and by the axe, though I didn't see the killer, Ianfir shares with everyone. The child's laughter just now. One or more of the children's spirits are still trapped here with us as well. If the child is one of the victims, why is the spirit trapped here at the courthouse and not somewhere else? Did the murder's take place here?

mechanics:

Will Save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Will Save ThreeToes: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16


Seldion walks over to the clock and examines its case and finds that it could be opened if he wanted to do so.

When Ianfir states the spirits have a problem with the outcome of the trial Malgrim "The spirits ain't got no reason to be upset. You're just spooked because this area's abandoned. Now drop it."

Sir Rekkart snorts at the hobgoblin and turns to Ianfir "I thought you knew. Mord was the groundskeeper and hangman for this courthouse. He and his family lived here and he killed them here. His trial has the distinction of being the only trial for murder held where the murder took place."


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

"...and presumably, he was killed here also?" finishes Finngarth, making the assumption. "I'm sure none of that had anything to do with the hauntings we are experiencing."

He tries to remember what he learned about haunts, and cleansing places from his days in training, but the mystic arts had little interest for him then, so his memory is fuzzier than he'd like.

Know Religion, haunts or possessions: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta recovers a bit from his fit, when the aggressive hobgoblin speaks dismissively. He seems a bit too obvious to be a plant, but why is he so determined to justify the verdict and divert from the seeming ghostly aspect?

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 1 = 23 -1 is due to wis damage. Is Malgrim hiding or covering something? Is there anything that points to his real motivations?


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Ianfir replies to Malgrim coldly, Thank you for your opinion, but I'll drop nothing. You can't know how anyone else felt. To pretend or claim otherwise only serves to prove your ignorance on such matters. Then Ianfir moves to check the other rooms off the main hall without passing under any chandelier.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Stuck between a desire to make himself scare of his haunted place, and the compulsion to guard the lady, Groff sits and twitches.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::opens case of Grandfather clock, looks inside, also looks behind clock::
"Aye some spirits are not happy with what happened here. to air "would you like to manifest yourself and talk?"


Finngarth stands in thought for a moment but doesn't come up with any thoughts about haunts other than he is fairly sure he has seen two already.

Seldion goes over to clock to examine it and sees the chain and weight on the bottom of the case. He notices nothing out of the ordinary with the clock. As he closes the case back up there is another giggle coming from the doors opposite the ones he came in from.

Volta:
You watche the hobgoblin while he talks. He gets the sense that this hobgoblin is NOT someone to be trifled with. You get the feeling it would be good for the guy with the pet's health if he left the hobgoblin alone. He is the one in charge of the jurors whether they realize it or not. You get the sense there is more going on here than meets the eye but confronting him with it would be a bad idea. The trial was somehow shady.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::pulls a chair to me and sits down:: "nothing we can for you until you tell us what's the problem."


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta chews in his mind over his conclusions. Well, he knows much more than he's telling and that was something wrong with the trial, now how do I make use of that info and not have him chop my head off?

Volta strolls back to Ianfir, "Sorry about being spooked there just a bit unnerving you know, with spooks and all." When he is very close to him he whispers very quietly to him, "Take care, I'm good at reading people, that Malgrim is very confident that you and your friend are no threat to him, and he is to you. He thinks he is in charge and very confident about that too. He was involved in the trial and it was not on the up and up. He knows it and wants it buried. Be very circumspect for now and don't challenge him until you are sure of a lot of support, okay?" Volta looks very serious and concerned at Ianfir with his back to the rest of the group.


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Ianfir moves to check the other rooms off the main hall without passing under any chandelier.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Was this unusual behavior for Mord? Might be that some outside influence made him kill his family" ::gets out of chair just in case::


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta sighs and wanders to the door ahead of him to see if it is safe to open. No one listens to me, i'm on my own, I just don't know how to deal with this much weird stuff yet. but if this doesn't kill me I'll learn.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 8 - 1 = 25 Is the door area trapped or tricked out in any way? If not open it, if so let me know.


Volta examines the door and finds nothing amiss and opens it. These simple quarters haven’t been used in years. A plain oak desk stands near the back. Several voluminous texts on Absalom law, all gilt-edged and bound in leather, lay scattered about in the room.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth cannot determine just what is gonig on here, but he follows behind Volta as the rogue explores the place.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Groff remains guarding his mistress.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::gets out of chair and moves to look around Volta into room::


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta looks around the boring books when a thought strikes him and he starts to look for any records on a trial 10 years old, the one that is so controversial it wakes the dead.

"Wonder if there are any records of the trial that has troubled the dead around here? Mind helping finding out?" Volta says.

If an opportunity opens to quietly and unobserved speak to the others that have come into the room he will give them the same warning that he gave to Ianfir. If he sees or has reason to believe Malgrim can hear, he will exercise sufficient discretion as to not get his throat cut.


As Volta, Ianfir, Finngarth and Seldion begin exploring the room there is a loud cackling from in the room as the books are thrown around the room.

Volta Book: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 Non Lethal Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1

Ianfir Book: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Non Lethal Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Finngarth Book: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Non Lethal Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Seldion Book: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 Non Lethal Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2

You all have close calls as books zing by your head. Ianfir has one bounce off his armor but does no damage. As the room quiets down and the books stop flying there is one book open on the desk in the room. It seems safe to look around the room.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

When the storm of books finally subsides, Finngarth enters the library and peruses the book left open on the desk, curious what it might be.


Finngarth approaches the desk and examines the book. He sees that it is called “Punish the Guilty.” It is open to a passage that reads, “We, entrusted with justice, must be above reproach. Those who fail to serve justice blindly shall reap what they sow.”

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Well it seems we're getting somewhere"


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta rises an eyebrow at Seldion, "Pray good sir, I don't see that. So far it tells us only what we know already: that a spirit is unhappy because of that trial." Volta tries to see if there is anything of actual use near that passage in the book.


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Kanna follows the others into the library, arriving just in time to witness the flying books. "Very unhappy," she nods.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

any other books still on the shelves?


Looking around the room you see books scattered all over the place. There are some still on the shelves but they look like they landed there not that they were stored there. There seems to be nothing precluding a thorough search at this time.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

"By the Banker!" cries Finngarth, looking around the mess in the room. "This is not how orderly records are kept. Let see if this can be put to right."

Out of sense of organization drilled into him by hours working on records in the vaults of the Bank of Abadar, Finngarth starts the tedious process of looking through the books and trying to establish some sort of organization. If he sees anything remotely related to this case, he puts it aside for the others to comb through.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

When Finngarth goes to sort the books, Volta joins him, when the chance comes to quiet communicate he whispers to him. "You don't know me but I feel I should warn you, I'm a good judge of people. Malgrim is very confident he is in charge, and no one here is a threat to him. He also is dissembling about the trial in someway. He know something and what it is is shady. I have no desire to challenge him without lots of support and I have only my good instincts to go on so far. Please be careful, a stone has been thrown into deep waters here."

Volta will also aid Finngarth in his task.

51 to 100 of 533 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Adventurers from Absalom All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.