Adventures from Absalom

Game Master trawets71

A group of adventures set out to find fame and fortune from Absolom

Maps
Courthouse
Courthouse Upper Levels


251 to 300 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Sir Rekkart looks taken aback at Volta's rebuke, "I answered the question that was asked." He then turns to Finngarth and says "Miss Patrissa is a friend of mine as well and I will not have you talk to her that way either."

The mood of the jurors seems to be changing and as if to accentuate this Halgrak says to the group, "We've been nothing but polite to you strangers and all you have done is accuse and bully us! If you want to find out what's going on why don't you go look upstairs! We'll be keeping a closer eye on you now though."

Groff, make a strenght check if you're trying to open the windows with your hands or a damage roll if using a weapon


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Groff will try to break the window with his weapon (using reach to avoid glass shards).

damage: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


Groff takes his weapon and breaks through the wood covering the window. The night is starting to get foggy but a few stars can be seen.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

"Why don't we just get out of here? " and he sticks his head out to make sure there's nothing weird going on.


Groff sticks his head out of the window and takes a deep breath through his nose and starts coughing. The air smells of the sea and rain and all those things a decent cave doesn't smell of. He can see the decaying buildings around the courthouse when lightning strikes, otherwise the rain is so heavy and can't see across the lawn outside to the other street.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

He will try to climb out the window.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Good idea Groff, at least we have some people thinking about what happened. How far's the drop to the ground from the window?


Groff looks down at the ground and climbs out the window and disappears from sight.

Groff:
As you exit the window and let go of the frame, the world goes black. As you open your eyes from blinking them you see you are in the great hallway of the courthouse right inside the front barred doors."

The board ate my reply yesterday.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::follows Groff:: do I need to make a climb check?


Seldion climbs out the window and disappears from sight.

Seldion:
As you exit the window and let go of the frame, the world goes black. As you open your eyes from blinking them you see you are in the great hallway of the courthouse right inside the front barred doors, next to Groff.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Odd, it ate my reply as well.

Groff wanders back into the room with the rest of them.

"That won't work. "

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::sighs:: "Acting like we need to solve this before we can get out of here'


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Kanna raises an eyebrow with mild surprise as Groff and Seldion reenter the room, having expected some such means of preventing easy escape. "It would seem that we are stuck here until the mystery is solved," she says flatly.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta weakly replies, "I only ever accused Malgrim, and we are all being bullied by whatever kidnapped and is torturing us. Focus on our real enemy."

He continues, "But that is a good point, none of us has any real reason to trust any here and we have focused much on those that were at the trial. Why were those not at the trial taken, was it random or was there a reason? The trial would have meant nothing to me ten years ago, I would have been about seven then. Hmmm I wonder if either of my parents served on the jury?"

Volta tries to remember anything relevant.

Int Check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Our real enemy is an unchecked angry spirit, and our only clues toward solving any mystery is the accounts of the jury members here with us now, but if we wish to be so easily persuaded from asking them more direct questions individually, I can't press the matter alone. Ianfir says then sighs before changing his focus.

Groff, you seem to know your lady friend well. How long have you known her? Where did you two meet before today?


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Groff looks a bit confused at the question. "Umm, well I only met her here today. But she's a very nice lady. "

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Err, what evidence was presented? I know you said the evidence left no doubt, but what was the evidence?


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta sideeyes Ianfir a bit as he restates Volta's point, shrugging at the criticism that he gave up to easy. What does he think I can do, I'm half dead.

As Seldion speaks Volta just gets an exasperated look, which changes into determination. "Hey could one of you burly gentlemen walk up stairs, I'll follow, checking for traps and nasties but I can not take another hit like that and live."

If anyone goes up with him he follows checking for traps and other things along the way to the nearest door on the upper level.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 - 1 = 9 Check the stairs and hallway for what can be seen and if there are traps. +1 for any traps.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Groff will head up stairs to check.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Sorry Volta, I was trying to get to the truth, but sounds like no one remembers. Going up may give us answers" Lets others lead up the stairs.


As the party leaves the courtroom the others watch and then follow as a group a bit behind them. Groff approaches the stairs and the chandelier crashes to the ground and a childlike giggle is heard.

Damage, Reflex DC 15 to negate: 1d6 ⇒ 5

As the party moves on, up the dusty creaky staircase, Volta reaches the top and let's Volta examine the doors. Volta finds nothing out of the ordinary and moves back to let Groff open the doors.

Fine leather couches and a mahogany table now covered in a thick layer of dust stand undisturbed around this chamber. Portraits line the walls here with plaques bearing names below, both now obscured with thick cobwebs. A simple iron icebox sits in one corner of the room, a few empty bottles perched precariously atop it.

New map is up.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Groff will move into the room and see what is what.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Wish whatever spirit it is that is doing that would talk with us"


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Kanna brushes away the dust and cobwebs from a plaque, trying to read it.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta warily enters the room making sure there is someone between him and any place something could jump out of at him. He will carefully scan the room pointing at any possible hidden items or places in the room, if he notices any but will not approach without protection.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 1 = 22 Check room out. +1 for any traps.


As the group moves into the room to explore it, the remains of the jury gather at the entrance to the room.

Ianfir takes a step into the room and stops.

Ianfir:
As you step into the room, a vibrant vison comes to you. “Jarbin Mord. For the brutal and savage slaying of your own wife and six-yearold boy, it is the verdict of this jury, with which I concur wholeheartedly, that you shall hang by your neck until dead. May the gods take mercy on your blackened soul.”
Silence falls over the courtroom in the wake of this pronouncement of doom. The faces of the assembled crowd grow solemn as everyone feels the finality of the sentence, with a few exceptions. Several members of the assembled jury are smirking at each other. The hobgoblin, halfling, gnome, and young woman all seem both pleased and highly amused by this turn of events.

Volta moves to the center of the room and begins to point out things in the room. Groff searches around and stops in front of the icebox. He opens the box and sees a glass jar with a yellow liquid in it. Floating in the liquid are five toes.

Sense Motive DC 15:
When Halgrak sees the jar he is filled with horror and revulsion.

Kanna moves to a portrait and cleans it up a bit. On the plaque he reads the name "Silman Trabe".


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finn joins the others upstairs, but stays back near the door, wary of any new place in this courthouse of horrors. "What is it Halgrak?" asks the dwarf as he sees the visceral reaction of the juror. "Is this something or someone your recognize?"

Sense Motive DC 15: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

The vision confirms or perhaps deceives Ianfir more into believing his assumptions, the surviving jurors are all in it together. They plotted to get the executioner killed. They may have even directly been the ones to kill the executioners family and set up the frame job entirely. But there is little to do besides keep an eye on them and patiently wait for them to slip up. Since the others seem content for now at exploring the courthouse, Ianfir settles for keeping an eye out for trouble and strains to listen to any whispers of deceit from the sinister jury.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf 9th/Wizard

Can we figure out who the portraits are of?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

the portraits, can we figure who they are of?


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth approaches Ianfir and motions him to a far corner where they can talk privately.

Ianfir:
"Do you think, by chance, that the jury was charmed or compelled into their verdict? I wonder. It seems they believe they acted fairly, so perhaps they don't recall what exactly happened. I've also seen the lady there's hold on Rekert, and perhaps on Groff. Could she be the one pulling the strings?" He waits to see if the gruff druid thinks his idea has any merit.


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Ianfir lowers his head in consideration of Finngarth's words.

Whispering to Finngarth:

Possible to say the least. What would you have us do to learn if it's true? We could use proof to persuade the others.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Ianfir:
"Let us watch them closely for a few moments and see if any of the behavior tips us off. Failing that a magical diviniation or someone more trained than I in the arcane arts might be able to discern the presence of a charm."

Sense Motive DC 25 (unless dominated) can reveal an enchantment per the rules here. Also, can use detect magic for aura or Know Arcana for spell effect in place. I have no skill in Know Arcana or Spellcraft and not enough in sense motive to make it.


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

"No secrets," Kanna chides. "If we are to survive and get out of here, we must be able to trust one another."


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

"So we should, but wisdom prevents such openness at times. The Great Banker teaches that acting conspiratorially is against the laws of commerce, but secrets sometimes need preserving for the greater good of trade or civilization. But I will tell you what we are speaking of, should you care to concern yourself."

Finngarth brings Kanna into the fold, relating his concern but still unclear what to do about it.

Kanna, you can read the spoilers above, if you like.


Kn: Local DC 10:
Silman Trabe was the judge on Mord's trial.

Kn: Local DC 15:
The names on all the plaques are judges who have served in this courthouse

When questioned Halgrak shakes his stare away from the jar and mumbles "No, no, nothing"

Bluff: 1d20 ⇒ 5

Sense Motive DC:5:
Halgrak definately has some interest in the toes. A diplomatic approach may work, failing that intimidation could be tried.


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Discern Bluff DC 5: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Discern Enchantment: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Whispering to Finngarth:

Hmm, perhaps the elf Seldion, can help us with the magic divination to confirm this just to be sure. I do not see anything unusual, but I am not afraid to admit I've never taken an interest in the subject, let alone studied the signs to look for.

Ianfir is untrained in sense motive and without detect magic at the moment.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth looks around the room, casting detect magic liberally scanning around the place.

GM Trawets:
Not sure if you've read our spoilers, but we think its possible the group of jurors was or is now under an enchantment. Finngarth would be casting detect magic but including those especially Groff and Sir Rekkert in his cone to see if they have any unusual magical auras.


spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 - 7 ⇒ (9) + 5 - 7 = 7

Finngarth looks up from their huddled conversation and casts detect magic. As he looks down the room he can tell there is magic present in it. As you continue to study the room you see that there are three magical auras in your range, the most powerful being faint. After studying a little longer you see Sir Rekkart's sword and armor are magical and Seldion carries something magical.


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

As Volta looks about he sees people drifting together whispering to each other and seeming to cast a spell. He also notes the exchange between Finngarth and Halgrak. He drifts closer to the conspirators.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 1 = 8 On Halgrak.

K:Local: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 The portraits. Max of 10 on result.

The minimum successful result on my sense motive, only a one would fail, I tried!

A portrait of the judge on the case, can't see that means anything though.

He whispers to Finngarth and the others gathered, "It's clear that Hakgrak is holding back, perhaps someone smoother than I could quietly persuade him to share what he knows?"

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::approaches Halkgrak:: quietly asks "something in the jar bothers you friend?"


Halgrak frowns at Seldion after he asks the question and shakes his head, much more assuredly than when he spoke before.

16


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

"Come now, Halgrak!" chides Finngarth. "If you know something, you need to tell us. None of us are getting out of here at the present rate, so anything you can share might be the key."

He twists his arm, figuratively, gently but firmly.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Halgrak turns to Finngarth, a snarl on his face disappears as he breaks down in tears. "Oh what's the use we are all going to to die anyway. You might as well die knowing the truth. The toes are mine. Malgrim cut them off when I wouldn't agree to condemn an innocent man. When he threatened to do the same to my children I gave in and sent Jord to the scaffold when he didn't deserve it." Halgrak then collapses to the floor, a blubbering mess.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

"Hmmph. That changes the picture. "


Ianfir: Druid 1| AC 15, T11, FF 14| HP 8/11| F+3, R+1 W+7 | Init +3 | Perc +9 || Three Toes Wolf 1| AC 14, T 12, FF 12 | HP 12/12| F+5, R+5 W+1 | Init +2 | Perc +1 (scent, low-light)

Sense motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth lets out an exasperated sigh. "So, we've been asking if there was any funny business about this jury the whole time, and you all denied it, repeatedly...But now it comes to find out one juror, at least, was coerced. Were the rest of you? I mean by the Holy Scales of Abadar! Lying about it now won't get any of us out of here. Admit what you've done and perhaps these vengeful spirits will release us!"

Finn is exasperated but is making a heartfelt attempt to get others to cop to similar stories.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta hangs back and observes the reactions of the former jurors to these striking revelations.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 7 - 1 = 10 One on each remaining juror unconfessed and alive.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (7) + 7 - 1 = 13

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 1 = 8

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 1 = 23

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::looks at the other jurors to see if Halgrak's confession makes any of them react::

251 to 300 of 590 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Adventurers from Absalom All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.