Adventures from Absalom

Game Master trawets71

A group of adventures set out to find fame and fortune from Absolom

Maps
Courthouse
Courthouse Upper Levels


101 to 150 of 605 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

As Finngarth looks through the books and organizes them he finds among the books here an old papyrus scroll. Looking at it he sees what appears to be magical writing. He does not however find any more information about the trial.


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Kanna browses the books, not looking for anything in particular.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth looks at Volta in dismay, but keeps his voice lowered. "This Malgrim is a big player, eh? And you think he knows more about the trial than he is letting on? If a civilization cannot rest on the rule of law then commerce has no place in it. We must find out how Malgrim threw the case and what can be done to put things to right. Abadar's chosen will aid thee in putting this lawbreaker in his place. Any suggestions?"

Finding what looks like magical writing, Finngarth casts Read Magic on himself and peruses the paper more to see if he can, in fact, parse what the scroll says.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Groff, looking torn from his oddly inactive state says in a gruff voice "Milady, there's no obvious threats in here, and if we're going to get out we need to know more. I should go with those investigating. "


As Finngarth reads the scroll he sees that while he can not use the scroll he does find that it contains light, mage armor, magic missile, and shield spells on it. Nothing else of use is found in this chamber.

Patrissa smiles at Groff and says "Of course. The quicker we are out of here the better. Just make sure that if something happens you come back to me, my dear."


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

"Yes, of course. Don't want nothing to happen to you milady" he responds as he heads off to find out what is going on.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta replies to Finngarth, "Not in any detail, more people should be warned but many don't take me seriously because of my less advanced years. To be truthful, I have nothing to go on except my gut and careful observation of people, Malgrim in case of point. Not very convincing. Maybe you can be more persuasive at getting people ready to back each other up."

Volta takes a last look around the library to see if anything was overlooked.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 Anything else of note about? +1 if it's a trap.

Louder Volta says, "I not all that familiar with courts, is there a separate room where they keep - what you call it? Court scrolls or something like that. Records of the trial itself may help."

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"I would think there would be a place that the transcripts of the trial are at" :moves up to door leading into room 5, hugging the wall::


Volta has one last look at the room and finds nothing of note.

Seldion hears nothing as he stands outside the door.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Seeing that the scroll only has arcane magical writing on it, Finngarth rolls it back up and brings it to Seldion who is listening at the next door. when the elf is done trying to listen, Finngarth shows him the scroll and the spells it contains.

"This type of magic I am not trained to use," the dwarf says with a sad shake of his head. "But perhaps your training will permit you to learn or cast these spells. If not, we can always sell it as Abadar smiles on commerce. Take it in the meantime."

Finngarth stands beside him as the wizard readies to open the door across the grand hall.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta comes up and joins Seldion at the door. "Let me check out the door, I doubt there is a problem but best to be sure."

Volta will open the door and check out what's inside, if reasonably safe to do so.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 Is there a trap in or around the door?

If trapped or locked then

disable device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18 .

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 To see if there is anything about I should know about.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::tries to read scroll::[b] "let me see if I can understand the scroll Finngarth" Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

As he enters the room and sees everyone reading Groff exclaims "Still nothing eh?"


Volta finds nothing untoward about the door and opens it. This lavish room of cold marble is festooned with a large but mangy polar bear-skin rug and an ornate desk of darkwood carved with an odd motif of cherubs grappling with vipers. Behind the desk in a high-backed leather chair rests a skeleton in judge’s regalia, a long white beard still draped down the front of his robes. A rusted iron spiked chain still dangles from around the neck of the skeleton. Near the desk lays the desiccated skeleton of a large dog, a few of its ribs broken and its skull cracked.

Volta, Finngarth and Seldion enter the room and start searching. Just when Groff says "nothing" the bones on the floor start to stir and the "dog" begins moving to the attack.

Init Groff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Init Volta: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Init Ianfir: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Init Nokayoma: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Init Finngarth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Init Seldion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Init Dog: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Seldion was unable to read the scroll.

Volta up, then the dog, then everyone else.

Dog:
AC 17/12/14 HP 8 bite +2 1d6+1


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta looks about with growing horror as the dead rise, he draws his blade and assumes a fully defensive stance. "The dead, they're walking! To arms, brave warriors! Good cleric can you summon the aid of your god? I'll be here or over there, maybe." Volta wildly looks about the room for hiding places, cover, or anything that he can climb to be out of the reach of these creatures. He's no warrior after all.

Draw blade assume full defense +4 to AC. Any chandeliers to swing on?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

OK ::puts scroll away to study further::


The "dog" moves his head to watch the skinny rogue climb on the furniture and eyes Seldion and pauses his gaze at Finngarth but his stare settles on Groff.

The "dog" charges Groff and and takes a small chunk of flesh from his leg.

Dog Bite: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 + 2 = 23 Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Party up.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"Groff not yet. I'll have to look at it when we're not fighting"


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth grimaces when he spies the skeltal dog. "Undead are a bane to civilization. Abadar give me the power to smite this abomination!"

He grasps his holy symbol and invokes the power of positive energy to unmake the lifless dog.

Channel positive to harm undead. DC 11 Will for half

channel dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 6


The skeletal dog seems to shrink into itself and barks loudly and growls at Finngarth as he takes the full brunt of his god's power.

Dog will save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

"Grrr. " he grunts at being bitten.

then he smashes the damned thing with his steel ball on a chain.

bludgeoning
to hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Groff smashes the dog defending it's owner for the last time as it's bones scatter across the floor. The room is now quiet.

Hearing the commotion from the other courtroom the rest of the people gather outside to see what is going on. Sir Rekkart is the first on the scene and asks "What's going on? What happened here?"

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::points at heap of bones:: "Since when has someone been using evil magic to create a skeleton? That used to be a skeleton that attacked a member of our party!


Sir Rekkart gasps and says "That is evil indeed. Who could have created this monsters?"

Kn: Religon DC 10 or Spellcraft DC 15:
Not all undead are created by using magic. Some undead are created because of the circumstances of their death. This dog couldn't protect it's master in life or unlife

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"I don't know, but I know its foul' errr make that a spellcraft check not a perception check please

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

::hand scroll to Finngarth:: "Maybe you can read this."


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta goes back to the group putting his blade away. "This place seems full of horror, which again begs the question who kidnapped us and brought us here. Not the work of the dead, I don't think spirits do elaborate plans but anyone that could do that could easily have cleared this place of something like this. Why not? This is all passing strange."

Volta goes about professionally searching the room for anything of interest or use.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 To see if there is anything about I should know about. +1 if a trap.


As Volta searches the desk he finds a few items of interest; first is a gilded masterwork dagger resting in an ornate emerald-and-silver
sheath. In another drawer he finds three small flasks containing different liquids. On the desk among the detritus there he finds a partial letter.

Kn: Local DC 15:
Malgrim is known to prefer the spiked chain as a weapon.

Perception DC 15 and Volta:
The spiked chain belt that Malgrim is wearing is remarkably similar to the rusted one around the Judge’s neck.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta gingerly goes about the room, looking for anything unusual, he finds a lovely dagger in a noble sheath which he sets on the desk, along with the three small flasks. He's about to read the letter when something about the chain around the judge's neck catches his eye. He takes the letter but instead of reading it, he goes over to Finngarth and, after checking about to see that there is no Malgrim here, he quietly says to him, "Take a look at the chain around the Judge's neck, looks just like the chain around Malgrim's body doesn't it?

He reads the letter.

K(local) is untrained for me so I can't make a DC 15 check so no need to roll.


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

Finngarth looks at Sir Rekkert and explains, "Not all undead are created by necromancers or evil-doers. Powerful magic can bind someone to service even after life has ended, especially if they left a task undone or an sworn oath unfulfilled. It is possible or dog here was so loyal to his master that he stayed in his service even after his natural life ended. We have perhaps released him to eternal rest now."

As Volta reads the letter and points out the spiked chain, Finngarth has to admit he agrees with the circumstantial evidence about the spiked chain. They look very much the same.

When Volta finishes reading, Finngarth casts a divination spell on the liquids to determine if they have magical properties.

Cast detect magic.

Know Religion DC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Perception DC 15: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


Finngarth looks at the three vials with his arcanely enhanced vision and sees that all three are magical, those are the only magical things he divines though.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta tries to find improved lighting so he can read the faint lines of script.

Can I read the letter? What is on it if I can.


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

...and Kanna isn't even sure where she is, much less anything else.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

She notices the similarities between Malgrim's belt and the judge's chain but says nothing of it. "Can you read the letter?" she asks Volta.

"Finngarth, I can only assume you were divining magical properties. What is the verdict?"


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4
Volta Delbove wrote:

Volta tries to find improved lighting so he can read the faint lines of script.

Can I read the letter? What is on it if I can.

It is hyperlinked above.

"Yes," says Finngarth indicating the liquids. "They are magical. I don't have the skill to identify them without tasting, and while that is possible, it can also be dangerous. I assume Seldion may have training in identifying magical items where I am not."


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

So it is, sorry I missed it. Good eyesight is not my strong suit.

Volta's eyes widen at the words written, the strongest evidence yet of misdeeds and injustice. He looks about for Malgrim again to be sure he hasn't come to check up on them. If clear he signals the others to gather about and indicates they should read the letter for themselves. He retells his unsupported suspicions about Malgrim to the others in the room, saying the same stuff as he did before to Finngarth.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 Is Malgrim where I don't want him?


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

"OK, I'm not subtle. Do I beat him down?"


As discussion about Malgrim's guilt continues the clock in the hall strikes seven. You hear the door to the courtroom slam shut followed shortly by a blood curdling scream. Malgrim is nowhere to be seen and the others all look frightened as they look at the door he disappeared into where you all woke up.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

Fearing for his mistress, Groff rushes back into the courtroom to see what happened.


Groff rushes back to the hall and sees Patrissia next to Sir Rekkart in the main hall looking at the door Malgrim went to. A harsh staccato whisper builds to the rasping croak of a strangled man that echoes through the entire courthouse. Malgrim screams frantically over the horrid sound. “No! Get away from me! You’re dead! I saw you swing! No!” The jangling of a chain and wet gurgling follow. Then all goes silent. The door to the courtroom creaks open.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta says to Groff, "No the evidence is suggestive, not conclusive, he may have some guilt but this is not enough. There could be other explain-"

Volta breaks off as a scream echos through the halls. As Groff dashes off Volta follows, catching the last of the horror ensuing.

"This is not good, an unstoppable vengeful spirit that kills with little evidence. Tis likely none of us, innocent or guilty will survive this torture." Volta is getting morose again.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

"Are you well Milady?" he asks Patrissa.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

"well that was sort of conclusive I''d think, sounds like he set the hangman up what with the gurgling and the partial letter. And yes Finngarth, I can probably find out more about the flasks, but not until tomorrow morning." ::if I cast detect magic 0 level spell anything else in the room register as Magical?


Cleric (Abadar) 1 | AC 18 T 11 FF 17 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +6; (+2 vs Poison or Spells) | Init +1 | Perc +4

With the door to the courtroom opening again, Finngarth pushes his way inside to see what fate as befallen the suspected Malgrim.


Groff approaches Patrissa and finds her shaking leaning on Sir Rekkart. She stammers, "Yes...Yes, I am fine. Thank you for taking care of that skeleton. Can you please go see what happened to Malgrim."

Seldion casts detect magic and finds no other magical items in the room.
It's a DC 17 Spellcraft check to ID the potions. There is no need to wait until the morning.

As Finngarth enters the courtroom he sees Malgrim hanging from the rafters by his own spiked chain, quite dead, his blood pooling on the floor beneath his swinging boots.


Fighter 1 | AC 18 FF 16 T12 | HP 13/13 | Fort +5 Ref +1 Wis +1 | CMD 17 |Per +6 | Init +1

"Yes milady. " and he heads off to witness the gruesome scene.

"Doubt it's suicide. " he mutters to nobody in particular.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Immune to Sleep +2 vs Enchantments Wizard/1 AC 12 FF 10 HP 7/7 Fort +1 Reflex +2 Will +3 Intiative +2 Percp +3

ahh ok didn't know if I could switch spells out or not
1st potion Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
2nd potion Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
3rd potion Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Female Human Monk (zen archer) || HP 10/10 (10/10 nonlethal) || AC 16/16 Tch/12 FF || F+4 R+6 W+4 || CMB +1 CMD 17/13 FF || Init +4 || Perception +2

Kanna enters the room cautiously and, catching sight of the deceased Malgrim, approaches the body. "Perhaps we should get him down?" she suggests.


Male Human Rogue 1| AC 16 T 14 FF 12 | HP +3/8| F +0 R +6 W +1; | Init +4 | Perc +7/8 Traps | DD +11/13

Volta gives himself a shake and says to the lady with a bow, "Yes, m'lady we should indeed. I'll see about doing it."

Volta finds his way up to the rafters.

climb: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 Get up to the body.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 Look at how he was hanged, see that his is actually hanged, and see if any signs are there that it was the work of something not a spirit.

disable device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25 Get the body free and let down as easy as possible.


Volta nimbly gets up into the rafters and looks at scene from above. He can't really tell how the body got up here though he can tell he was hung with his own spiked chain. With the help of the others Volta quickly and easily lowers the body down.

101 to 150 of 605 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Adventurers from Absalom All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.