To Rappan Athuk

Game Master brvheart


Roll20 Site Link
Borderland Provinces Map


401 to 450 of 4,735 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Male Kitsune Executioner Slayer 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18, Touch 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2| Per +8 | Sense +6 | Init +4

Koan steps behind a tree, peers over at the ship and whispers to Sorek. "It has been a strange week for us. I'd hate to assume that they're friendly. With our luck, who knows."
perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
He's looking for any signs of distress, weaponry, and general demeanor of the crew. If I can spot the Captain, I will mark him as my studied target for a +2 bonus


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||
Good Thomas wrote:
Good Thomas looks over his shoulder at Aggrammar. "Not every ogre-kin is a dog." His tone is flat, his eyes hard. But he doesn't wait for a response, but rather turns and keeps on walking.

"Hah!" - Aggrammar slaps his own forehead - "Ye're ogre kin of course! No wonder ye're the size of a small gnome settlement" - he chuckles - "Ma apologies lad, I meant no offense - never once met an ogre kin that didn't try ta clobber me see? Until yesterday that is. Point taken" - he nods at his companion - "Next beer is on me. Heck! Make that the next five beers!"

----------------------

The dwarf squints his eyes, looking at the keelboat, trying to discern whether they are heavily armed, or purposefully signalling them - "Tis always good ta try and find additional info on the region - we can hail them from tha bridge?" - he offers.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

The sailors are armed with scimitars and have long bows, but then again this is rather hostile territory. You manage to spot the name of the vessel, Beoric The Whale.

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

You see the captain and he seems to be attentive to his job, but not being aggressive. They do not appear to be pirates, just sailors.


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Good Thomas rubs at his jaw.

"Let's hail them from the bridge. Ask if there are any settlements close by, or if they have seen the dragon or ogre party. Any news of the lay of the land would be good. If they get violent, we simply retreat out of bow range."


Male Kitsune Executioner Slayer 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18, Touch 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2| Per +8 | Sense +6 | Init +4

Koan offers a curt head not "Heard."
He moves towards the bridge and gives the sailors a wave with both of his arms.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"Hail to the bridge" Calls out the captain. The sailors start slowing the boat.


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Good Thomas stands way back, remaining hidden behind the far end of the bridge to avoid causing consternation.


Male Kitsune Executioner Slayer 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18, Touch 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2| Per +8 | Sense +6 | Init +4

Koan keeps his hands held up as a sign of peace and good intentions.
He speaks in a forced whisper, trying his best to speak loud enough to be heard by the ship crew but not so much from a group of marauding ogre-kin.
"Greetings. We've spotted fresh ogre-kin tracks, so please excuse my rather hushed nature. We are a troupe of travelers who've defected from a rather uneasy caravan, and we are in need of some help. Now, to remain completely transparent and honest, there is an ogre-kin in our company, a man of great honor by the name of Good Thomas. We do not seek to harm anyone, we simply seek to be pointed in the proper direction."


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

The captain orders the boat to come to a halt. "Where would you be heading stranger? Please show yourselves you that I may take a look at you if ya don't mind."


Male Kitsune Executioner Slayer 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18, Touch 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2| Per +8 | Sense +6 | Init +4

He slowly edges his hand out towards Good Thomas. "Come on, now. Koayi, newlyweds, come now."
Now the hard part. Koan passes Sorek a resentful glance and gives him a tiny "here goes nothing" shrug. He takes a deep breath before letting it out. "Our majority venture towards Rappan Athuk. My sister and these two lovebirds are headed to the nearest town. My name is Koan. these are my companions, Sorek, Lars, my sister Koayi, Aggrammar, Jar'k and Good Thomas. "


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"Adventurers huh? You seem harmless enough. No town around here for at least a 100 miles, but I can give them a lift into Zelkor's Ferry for 2 gold a piece. It's more of a back water hamlet than a town, but it is safe enough. It lies about seven days march to the west if you need a place to rest or basic supplies. I should make it there by river in two. My names Beoric and my ships' the Brawler (pardon for getting that reversed earlier. Have family back in the hospital today)"


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Well done Koan. I think this sounds like a good idea. We'll be outnumbered on the boat, but I think we should take the chance.

Sorek will detect evil on the captain and sailors once in range


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Good Thomas lumbers into view, trying to conceal his tension and appear at ease while presenting himself to all those longbows.

When Beoric makes his offer, he looks to Koan and gives a subtle nod of his head in agreement.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Not unless Koan is in the area of effect.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Well you can all go or just send your NPCs. Up to the party. They will tell you RA is due south.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

detect evil wont ping on Koan til 5th I believe. we're trying to bring him around before that. He's never worked with trustworthy allies hopefully this experience will convert him to neutral if not good.

Good Captain... This may sound like a crazy question. How close are we to Rappan Athuk? We definitely have 3 passengers for you but if Rappan is nearby the rest of us may want to take a look around.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"Not rightly sure, but I figger about 20-25 miles. Definitely a lot closer than the Ferry that is for sure."

I am all in for redemption:) So are Thyr and Muir.


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||

"Lads" - Aggrammar chips in - "Whats about we all go? I wouldn't mind resuplyin' some. Maybe even take some time to gather more information regarding where we are headin', before plungin' in head first. The place has been around for ages - I'm supposin' it will not just up an' leave on us" - he suggests - "Besides, I owe Good Thomas here a beer, or five"

Turning to the captain, the dwarf continues with a smile - "Just outta curiosity, how much fer takin' us all on board Captain? Any chance for a discount?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Hey, hey. 'Redemption' is my middle name :D


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

"I think by resupplying you mean replenishing the beer supply. . Ok but you and Lars will have to be the ones to carry the barrel (s). . I can see it now, you two celebrating with a toast after every fallen orc. The big question is who will last longer a dwarf or a disciple of Pekko? "

"what say you Koan who do you think will be champion of the mug? "

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Half-Orc Bard 3 | AC 18 T 12 F 16 | HP 27/27 | F +3 R +5 W +2 | Init +2 | Perc +5 Bard 3 (Buccaneer)

Jar'k winces at the 'fallen orc' comment. ""Clearly, not all orcs are something meant as something to fell. But a chance to get more information of what we may expect may prove useful."

Turning to the boat, Jar'k addresses the captain. "And by chance where are you headed after Zelkor's Ferry? Perhaps other business ventures could be discussed along the two day's travel?"

Diplomacy, Aid Another: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 (Extra +1 from mentored trait) Sad I gave up oratory now.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

He isn't evil, but not a do-gooder either and in it for the money and not looking to give discounts especially since this will crowd his boat for two days.


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||
Sorek wrote:

"I think by resupplying you mean replenishing the beer supply. . Ok but you and Lars will have to be the ones to carry the barrel (s). . I can see it now, you two celebrating with a toast after every fallen orc. The big question is who will last longer a dwarf or a disciple of Pekko? "

"what say you Koan who do you think will be champion of the mug? "

-Posted with Wayfinder

The dwarf laughs loudly - "Thyr wants me with a clear head lad. But every once in a while, everyone's entitled to a celebration. Dont'cha think? I wouldn't say 'every orc - let's say... Once every dozen?" - he winks at Lars.

----

"Heh, no discount huh? Fair enough" - Aggrammar accepts with resignation, after the captain makes it clear the price isn't negotiable - "Whaddya say boys? We take the ride?"


Male Half-Orc Bard 3 | AC 18 T 12 F 16 | HP 27/27 | F +3 R +5 W +2 | Init +2 | Perc +5 Bard 3 (Buccaneer)

"Fine by me. I can pay my way and put forth for the cost for one of our friends here," says Jar'k as he motions at the newlyweds.


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Good Thomas digs out two gold and grunts his approval. Making his way slowly down the river bank, he approaches the boat while holding his gold aloft. Slow movements, nothing to provoke or frighten the sailors.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

"agreed 2 gold it is "

note to self, watch my tongue with Orcs and ogres. . At least I can still talk ill of Dragons until of course we run into a Half dragon paladin

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Half-Orc Bard 3 | AC 18 T 12 F 16 | HP 27/27 | F +3 R +5 W +2 | Init +2 | Perc +5 Bard 3 (Buccaneer)

Jar'k fishes four gold coins from out of a pocket to cover himself and one NPC.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

After two uneventful nights and days you all arrive at the small hamlet of Zelkor's Ferry having heard rumors of the famed Rappan Athuk.

This is a small trading post and fortified inn, surrounded by an ancient and crumbling stone curtain wall with wooden guard-towers that were clearly built in later years for added defense.

You arrive at a simple wooden dock and the crew begin to tie off. The captain says, "Well, we are here. Not much of a place, but they pay to keep me coming back with supplies."

I posted the map above


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

A woman is washing clothes near the pier and a man down the shore takes his fishing pole out of the water and makes his way towards the dock to greet you. "I am Gutmark the Ferryman. Welcome to Zelkor's Ferry. You can get rooms at Bristleback’s Inn." as he points down the lane.


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||
brvheart wrote:
You arrive at a simple wooden dock and the crew begin to tie off. The captain says, "Well, we are here. Not much of a place, but they pay to keep me coming back with supplies."

"Seems like a sweet enough deal ta me Captain" - Aggrammar smiles - "Thanks for the ride" - he greets the man, before descending onto the docks.

brvheart wrote:
A woman is washing clothes near the pier and a man down the shore takes his fishing pole out of the water and makes his way towards the dock to greet you. "I am Gutmark the Ferryman. Welcome to Zelkor's Ferry. You can get rooms at Bristleback’s Inn." as he points down the lane.

"Well met to you Gutmark - name's Aggrammar, and these lads here comin' off tha barge are me mates" - the dwarf returns the greeting - "Bristleback ye say? Thanks for tha info - we'll be headin' there indeed. Throat's kinda dry and all that, see?" - he adds with a chuckle.

"Move along boys" - he comments to his companions.


HP 43/43 AC 26, T 12, FF 24, CMD 20, Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +8, Init +2, Percep +13

"This hamlet has a tavern at least I surely hope. "


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Lars, you see the crew off loading several barrels of ale.


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Good Thomas steps unsteadily onto sure, and with some evident relief. The rocking of the boat, placid as the river had been, and clearly not sat well with his stomach. He hawks and spits, then tugs on his banded mail and resettles his heavy cobalt blue cloak and takes a sharp sniff.

"Damn boats," he mutters. "I'm for food. Let's see what kind of fare they serve."

That said, he begins striding toward the Bristleback Inn, all the while casting his gaze to and fro as he takes in the Ferry.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 19


HP 43/43 AC 26, T 12, FF 24, CMD 20, Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +8, Init +2, Percep +13

Lars will simply follow the kegs to whatever their destination might be. "I know this will come as a shock, but I could use a drink. "


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

“Welcome to Zelkor’s Ferry. I hope the captain didn’t question you too hard at the gate. You may be a person bent on finding an adventure, but you don’t look like a troublemaker to me.” The woman’s blue eyes seem to twinkle as she smiles at you. Her light brown hair is beginning to show some grey, but her arms look strong where she has pushed up the sleeves of her brown dress. “If it’s adventure you want, let me tell you, you’ve come to the right place. Although we hold our own here, this area can by no means be considered safe and there’s plenty for a brave soul to find and do.
“I’m Amelia, and my husband and I are the proprietors of Bristleback Inn. It’s been in my husband’s family for several generations.” She leads you into the building’s common room and continues. “A room with your board is one gold piece a night… Thank you very much. The stable is just next door and stabling for a horse or mule is one silver piece. Anything more exotic than that and you’ll have to ask Bristleback; we own the stable, too. The two fellows out there, Vort and Igor, are both decent folk and will take good care of any of your animals.”

Amelia turns to survey the room, and you take a look around also. The inn’s low-ceilinged common room is really nothing special, but out here so far from civilization it seems to have all the comforts of home. The tables are well-worn, but also well-scrubbed. In fact, a teen-aged girl with hair the color of honey is engaged in scrubbing one right now. “Don’t forget the sides, Ysbel,” Amelia says to her. The slender girl looks up at the comment, flashes a shy smile when she sees you looking at her, and then goes back to her work.
The shutters are open to let in some fresh air, and at the far end of the room a small fire burns in the fireplace as an old man snoozes in a chair nearby. Lamps are set into brackets high on the walls, to provide the most light in the evenings and also keep them out of the way of clumsy patrons. The bar is on the other side of you, before the stairs; it is supplied with a couple of kegs, and a row of pottery mugs hung on pegs on the wall. The treads on the stairs are worn in the centers, and you can see that anyone of much height will need to duck on the way up to avoid an inconvenient beam.
A door opens between the bar and the stairs, and another woman enters carrying two sealed bottles. The woman has skin the golden-brown color of good ale; her eyes are deeper brown, and she wears her black hair pulled up into a loose knot at the back of her head. “Amelia, the cook brought these up from the cellar and told me we’ll be needin’ them in here.”
Amelia nods. “I heard Bristleback tell Gumbel last night to get some more bottles up here today. Just put them in the rack under the counter, Tallie.” The woman does as instructed, than straightens to look at you. Amelia introduces her. “This is Tallie, one of our serving women. She and Ysbel stay plenty busy around here, but feel free to ask them if you need something and I’m not around.”
Suddenly from behind the door you hear a man’s voice, rather muffled, calling “Tallie!”
“That Gumbel!”
she exclaims, and rolls her eyes. “I’m coming! Keep yer britches on,” she calls, then disappears again behind the door.
Amelia gives one last satisfied look at the room, then turns to you. “I need to get out back and weed the vegetables or pretty soon we aren’t going to be able to find the food for the weeds. The privies are around back to the left; the kitchen garden is to the right. If you end up around that way by mistake, watch your step because I don’t want anyone trampling on my garden. You ought to take a look around and chat with some of the people here; I’m sure several of them have things to tell you about their own experiences in this area, things that might help keep you alive when you head out looking for your destiny.” With that parting remark, Amelia also disappears through the door to the kitchen and leaves you alone.
You’re not quite alone, though, as you realize when a soft voice interrupts your thoughts. “Pardon me.” It’s the young maid; Ysbel, that was her name. She’s now working on a table nearer you, and lays down her small scrubbing brush when you turn.
“I couldn’t help but hear what Amelia said about people having things to tell you. I know someone who tells amazing stories! Some of them may even be true.” She gestures to the old man sitting in the corner by the fireplace and continues. “That’s old Russ. He’s Amelia’s grandpappy, and to hear him tell it, he may have tamed this whole area single-handedly when he was young. There’s no doubt his stories are interesting, though they might not be helpful to you. Let me just get his attention.”


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Tallie comes back from the kitchen in a few minutes and asks,""How can I help you fine gentlemen? I heard something about an ale. Anyone else? Lunch perhaps?"


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||

"Well met then Amelia - I'll tell ya honestly, wasn't expectin' such a fine establishment all the way out here. Name's Aggrammar, and me helm's off to ya for that" - the dwarf retorts with a smile - "Ye've been plenty helpful already, so don't let us keep ya from yer work - we'll get settled down, and I'm sure we'll be gettin' rooms ta bunk down later on" - he adds with a smile - "And I'll make sure we stay off yer garden!"

As Ysbel approaches and speaks to them, he looks curiously upon the girl, then at the man by the fireplace - "Thank you for the tip lass. Here, this is for ya" - he offers her a silver piece - "Buy somethin' pretty fer yerself" - he winks - "We'll most likely be by the bar, as it seems thirst is a common thing amongst our group see?" - he finishes with a laugh - "If Old Russ is willin', I'm sure we'd like a talk with him"

brvheart wrote:
Tallie comes back from the kitchen in a few minutes and asks,""How can I help you fine gentlemen? I heard something about an ale. Anyone else? Lunch perhaps?"

"No gentleman here" - Aggrammar jests - "But me Ma did give me proper education, so name's Aggrammar - pleasure ta meet ya" - he bows shortly - "I think ye're right on the money, Tallie is it? Ale for sure, and at lest two of them" - he looks back on the group - "I know Lars is up for a drink and Thomas is up for a hearthy lunch, anything else?" - then back to Tallie - "Lunch is a perfect idea milady - what have you got on the menu fer today?"


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

aarrgghh I just spent the past 2 hours writing up a post on my phone while playing in a poker tournament, writing it up between hands Finally done I submit a good post and nothing eaten by the Internet gremlins. . Sooo frustrating [/ooc] -Posted with Wayfinder


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

The gentle roll of deck as the boat travels down the river reminds Sorek of his first morning at the monastery.

the log was large and was not spun very fast for the initiates. But eventually the speed increased and everyone ended up in the frigid water. Once soaking wet the initiates began their morning meditations greeting the sun and the new day learning to ignore their shivering bodies until their robes dried. And eventually gaining the ability to master their bodies to such an extent that not only did the cold not touch them, they could raise their body temperature so high that steam would form like a cloud around themselves and cause the robes to dry in minutes.

For the past 10 years I greeted the morning in this fashion until 2 weeks ago when I walked upon the log blindfolded and did not fall into the river. . With my dry robes I went straight from the river log to my final test with the Masters.

Standing in front of the boat enjoying the first boat ride of his life. With a smile as the spray from the river covers his face he thinks to himself I've come a long way since that first fall in that frigid river by the monastery. .

@the. Bristleback Inn With a smile to the waitress "I'll have whatever you recommend for lunch, but no ale. . Just water thanks. . And yes any tales of this area will find eager ears "

the first post eaten by the Internet gremlins was much better

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Yeah those gremlins are nasty which is why a lot of us use a text editor when we have a long post! Then just copy and paste. Or at least copy it to safety play it:)

"I think he is making a nice pea soup today with ham hocks. May I suggest some fruit juice? The water here is rather nasty!"


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

"juice will be fine "

I always use word when posting from my computer. . I learned the hard way when I spent over 2 hours putting together my very first pbp alias only to have it disappear when I clicked submit. . But I use Wayfinder when posting from my phone and this is the first time it has failed me. . Oh well lesson learned

-Posted with Wayfinder


HP 43/43 AC 26, T 12, FF 24, CMD 20, Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +8, Init +2, Percep +13

"Ale will be good. After that maybe food once I've settled my stomach. "


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Ysbel steps to the fireplace and touches the old man on the shoulder, then raises her voice a little. “Pappy! Here’s someone who wants to hear all about how you cleared out that dungeon when you were young.”
The old man starts out of his snooze and looks up at the girl, then squints at you. He uses his arms to straighten himself in his seat and squirms back and forth a little bit to get more comfortable. When you step closer, you see a pair of crutches lying right leg. At a second glance, though, you realize that his other leg isn’t folded underneath him; it’s missing completely, cut off at mid-thigh. A small lute lies along the left side of his chair, and one of the pottery mugs stands close by on his right, placed on the broad hearth surrounding the fireplace.
“So yer interested in an adventure, eh?” Pappy begins. “I can tell ye about some adventures. I’m a bit dry though; bring me a beer, if ye’d be so kind, girlie.” He passes his mug to Ysbel, who shakes her head at him, smiling.
“Pappy, it’s way too early in the day for you to start on the beer. I’ll get you a mug of cider, though; it’ll be cool.” Ysbel starts off on her errand and Pappy smacks his mouth a few times experimentally, then turns to you.
“Did ye know that we’ve a dungeon practically in sight of our watchtowers? The Mouth of Doom, they call it, out in the middle of the forest to the south of us. Oh, my friends and I found it right enough, nigh onto fifty years ago now. I suppose it was a nice enough little dungeon, and it gave us a thrill or two, but it was nothing compared to the granddaddy of all dungeons!”
Pappy’s voice is raised, and he shakes his fist in the air. “Rappan Athuk – now that was a dungeon! My friends and I were well known at one time, though not the stuff of bards’ tales. We were powerful, and we made our presence felt. We fought malicious specters down there, and nasty creatures with big mouths that lived in heaps of trash. We battled an undead king to a standstill, though there were no winners that day and both sides crept away to lick our wounds. In fact, we got further below that dungeon than anyone else I’ve ever known. You wouldn’t know it to look at me now but I was a powerful wizard once, back before I lost my legs – and half my mind.”
Ysbel returns just then with the mug of cider. Pappy takes a small sip, then downs a larger swallow with a grimace and sets the mug carefully on the hearth. Ysbel takes up her scrubbing again at the other end of the room but appears to be listening in to Pappy’s story as well.
“We weren’t about to just waltz in the front door, so we found ourselves a different entrance. It wasn’t easy going, but we got right down into the thick of things without those fiends being aware. Once down we had some trouble finding our way around; there was a confusion of low tunnels, and the darkness was so thick our lights barely allowed us to see. We followed a winding river through several caverns; one was filled with spiders, undead creatures, and nasty trolls, which was where we lost Sister Gabriola. Another cavern had a purple worm the size of a small village. To this day I think we could have just walked away quietly from the creature, but ye might know that our rogue Renfrew couldn’t leave well enough alone! He was the first one poisoned, and by the time we could pull away next to him and note that he has a peg on his and tend to him, he was already dead,” Pappy says as he shakes his head.
“The levels of the dungeon proper may be made of worked stone, but down deep, where we were, it was all natural caverns. There was one especially huge one, where the ceiling was lost high above us and our lights made little bubbles of brightness in the great dark. In that situation, ye know there are always beings watching you, usually to yer hurt.
“While we were there we fought the most vile creature I have ever seen.”
Pappy’s eyes narrow, as if envisioning his opponent of years past. “Out of the darkness floated this giant mass, as large as I was tall and covered in eyeballs and mouths. It turned out those eyes shot out beams of magic like those from wands! We fought like demons ourselves, I can tell ye. Our knight got up close to try to stab it with his greatsword, and discovered all those mouths were full of sharp teeth. I tried several of my specialties on it, only to realize it was more than a match for me; ye may imagine my shock when it took some of my own spells from me! We had to get cunning, especially when it tried to run away after we injured it. We finally defeated it, though, and found the treasures it had taken from other hapless victims. I recall the battle fondly now, as one of the last times I was able to use my most powerful spells and keen intelligence before something in that vile place diminished them forever.
“Many of us were injured at that point and ye can be certain it was hard to find a safe place to rest and heal. We thought we had found a place, isolated at one side of the cavern, but we were wrong. That quiet corner turned out to be guarded by huge metal statues of bulls which came alive when we got close. They put out a gas that turned my companions to stone, some temporarily but some permanently. I myself was affected for a time. The stone effect wore off but before I could recover myself one of the bulls trampled me, breaking both my legs. Sir Marlett and the elf Daresiel had both been turned to stone and the bulls trampled them also, breaking up their bodies so we had no hope of recovering them.”
Pappy shakes his head again. “My remaining two companions got meself and our badly wounded dwarf out of there, and patched me up well enough that I could use my emergency scroll to take us out of that foul pit completely. We ended up back at our camp in the forest, though, and without our two healers the others managed to save my life, but not my legs. At that I suppose I’m better off than Gulim, who died of his wounds.'"
“One thing we never did locate was the evil temple everyone claims is there. I think somehow we passed it by and went straight to the caverns that lie below it. I don’t remember everything that happened to us beneath that twisted temple, though parts of it still give me nightmares. The worst was that even after we left, the reek of its evil continued to work on my mind and body and gradually stole my strength, my health, and most of all my intellect. I eventually learned to mend shoes, and other things I could do without need of my legs, but these days I just play a few tunes on my little lute and dream about striding through the forest in days gone by, wishing I had never heard of that accursed place.”

Pappy stops to stretch out his leg, and begins to absently rub his left thigh. “If ye be wanting to explore that foul dungeon, allow me to offer ye some pieces of advice. There’s no doubt that the most important part of any adventuring party wanting to take on Rappan Athuk is the wizard. Ye need one who is powerful, with plenty of offensive ability. He also needs good magic items; it’s worth a bit of sacrifice by the fighters or the rogues to see a magic-wielder well equipped. A good selection of fire spells would be helpful; they’re always good against the undead and there’s a powerful lot of those waiting there in the dark.
“Now, any group wanting to explore the depths of Rappan Athuk is going to need rope, and lots of it. Ye don’t find easy stairs leading from one area to another; no, it’s down sheer drops and over rocky cliffs – and then of course it’s all to do again in reverse if ye ever want to get out. I know what yer thinking,”
Pappy’s voice changes, becoming higher and slightly whiny. “What about that wizard? Can’t he just fly us all down?” He clears his throat and resumes his normal tone. “Well, to be sure he can, if ye want him to use up all his spells and have nothing left to use in a fight when ye get to the bottom. It’s better to use mundane means wherever possible and save the magicks for when ye need them most. We used our rope skills several times in difficult situations. Once we had to climb down a cliff as rats were trying to gnaw our lines!
“Another thing ye need of course is lots of light sources. Torches won’t make it, either, though it might be okay to have a few if yer in a pinch. No, ye need some source that lets ye keep both hands free! It’s no good trying to climb down that rope I mentioned a bit ago with a torch in hand – that’s a good way to take a long fall. ’Twon’t do to just carry it in yer teeth, either, as the rogue Renfrew once tried. He thought he was so clever, and so much more nimble than the rest of us – until he caught his hair on fire.”
Pappy’s speech slows slightly as he reminisces. “We called him Renfrew the Red after that; I don’t think his hair would ever have grown back, even if he had lived.”
Pappy reaches for his mug and takes another drink, then sets it back down. “I’m afraid I’m worn out with all this talkin’. Though it’s nice to have an audience, I don’t usually talk this much in a week. Thank ye for listening to my adventures, but I’m in need of a little rest now.” The old man settles himself in his chair, then leans his head on one hand and his eyes drift closed. You start to turn away when you hear him mumble softly, “And whatever ye do, don’t go down the well.” You raise your eyebrows at this one last piece of advice and then walk out into the fresh air.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

well that's sufficiently terrifying

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

There is a 1st level party in the corner of the tavern talking hunting down a bear!
You should be terrified, but no one expects you to fight the stuff pappy is talking about at any where near 3rd level. He was a fairly high level wizard when he retired sans leg!The Mouth of Doom is designed for levels 1-3:)


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||

Aggrammar listens carefully to all Pappy has to say, noting down mentally some, or most of his advice. He also makes sure to pay for the man's cider.

After Pappy has dozed off, he turns to his companions - "There ya have it - we need ta take this one seriously, or we'll end up regrettin' it. Can ye imagine havin' tha powers of a wizard at the tips of your fingers, simply ta have yer mind eaten up, and lose it all?" - he ponders.

You guys are SURE we are not taking a wizard down there, right? :D

"Methinks today is time for some deserved rest, but come morrow, we need to dig information up around Zelkor's Ferry - outta the top of my head, we need a map, ropes, and whatever details we can get our hands on - what do ye lads think?"


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

But you have... wait a minute, that is the OTHER RA game! Well... we will see how it goes:)


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||

Wait... Maybe I could go Cleric/Wizard -> Mystic Theurge? :P


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

If it's crucial I have an evoker ready to go! The Ferry could be a good IC spot to effect a switch.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

A theurge is a nice extra for either, but doesn't really fill either role well for RA.


Male Kitsune Executioner Slayer 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18, Touch 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2| Per +8 | Sense +6 | Init +4

Koan listened to the old man, taking to heart his warnings, yet his attention was elsewhere. He and Koayi had a quarrel regarding her return. She pleaded with him, argued, bared her teeth at him, yet he remained sure in his decision. He knew one way or another, she was going nowhere near Rappan Athuk. They'd spent years apart, she wasn't ready to put more distance between them, but he feared for her safety and her innocence. She couldn't know the full extent of the life he lead.

The old man fell asleep in his seat. Koan leaned over and took a hearty gulp of his frothy ale. Nothing like the kind he'd grown accustom to in the bigger cities, but good in it's own right. His eyes wandered 'round the tavern. What an odd place he thought, why would anyone want to live here?

Across from their table, Koan eyed a group of travelers, probably just as foolish as they, chasing rumors. He watched them interact, tried his best to listen close and pick out their leader. He studied them, took note of their weapons and equipment. His lifestyle came with certain quirks, and this happened to be one of them. He lifted the pint again and thought dark, grim thoughts. An arrow through ones head, the sturdy table knocked on end for cover, another arrow to the chest, one through another's neck. A quick leap over cover and he could take one down by swift blade. Three, maybe four down. It was another quirk he'd developed. It was ingrained in him from an early age. Uncle Yuuma called it "executioner's sense", the ability to plan an execution within seconds. He lifted up his ale one more time, finishing off the drinks, and his grim thoughts.

His eyes landed back on his troop. How lucky was I to fall in line with such virtuous and trustworthy warriors? It hasn't been but a few days, and they've watched out for me more than any stranger ever has. Could I ever be like them?

401 to 450 of 4,735 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Legend of Rappan Athuk All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.