To Rappan Athuk

Game Master brvheart


Roll20 Site Link
Borderland Provinces Map


451 to 500 of 4,749 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Listening to the Old Man Soreks mind starts thinking of all the extra things that would be nice to have before going deep into this cavernous dungeon.

Ysbel is there anywhere around here where we can buy ropes and other equipment?

Aggrammar after lunch I'm going to go and see if I can buy some ropes and other items. I'm not really a drinker but if you want to have round 1 of champion of the mug with Lars I understand.

My shopping list:

X2
Arrow, Grappling
Price 1 gp; Weight 1/2 lb.
This small grappling hook is designed to be tied to a silk rope and fired from a bow. When fired, it has a range increment of 30 feet. An equivalent item exists for crossbows.

X 3 Rope, silk (50 ft.) 10 gp 5 lbs. UE

X1 String or twine (50 ft.) 1 cp 1/2 lb. UE

X1 Whistle, signal 8 sp — UE

X1 Compass 10 gp 1/2 lb. UE

  x10 Piton
Source Ultimate Equipment pg. 57 (Amazon), PRPG Core Rulebook pg. 158 (Amazon)
Price 1 sp; Weight 1/2 lb.
Category Adventuring Gear
Description
A piton is an iron spike with a loop or ring on the end so you can tie a rope to it.

X1 Grappling hook
Source Ultimate Equipment pg. 57 (Amazon), PRPG Core Rulebook pg. 158 (Amazon)
Price 1 gp (common), 1,001 gp (mithral); Weight 4 lbs. (common), 2 lbs. (mithral)
Description
Throwing a grappling hook requires a ranged attack roll, treating the hook as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10 feet. Objects with ample places to catch the hook have an AC of 5.

  x1 Folding pole
Source Ultimate Equipment pg. 56 (Amazon)
Price 2 sp; Weight 10 lbs.
Category Adventuring Gear
Description
This hinged pole can be unfolded and locked in place with sliding pins, creating a 10-foot pole. When collapsed, it is only 3 feet long. Assembling or collapsing the pole is a full-round action. The hinges and pins mean it is not as strong as a one-piece pole, and is best used for probing rather than vaulting or climbing.

 x2 Caltrops
Source Ultimate Equipment pg. 56 (Amazon), PRPG Core Rulebook pg. 158 (Amazon)
Price 1 gp; Weight 2 lbs.
Category Adventuring Gear
Description
A caltrop is a four-pronged metal spike crafted so that one prong always faces up no matter how the caltrop comes to rest. You scatter caltrops on the ground in the hope that your enemies step on them or are at least forced to slow down to avoid them. One 2-pound bag of caltrops covers an area 5 feet square.

total price 46gp


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"You should try Rye's Trading Post. He sells a lot of that stuff."


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

They all have stories though! If you don't want to read them let me know and I won't post them.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Thanks

Oh I'll read them... But if it involves way too much typing I'll understand


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Did we ever find out from the boat captain where he is sailing to after this? Is he going anywhere near Rappan?


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map
Sorek wrote:

Thanks

Oh I'll read them... But if it involves way too much typing I'll understand

Copy and paste. Just have to do all the bold codes, but not an issue:) He will be going past were he left you off. The question is whether you want to head there or go to the Mouth of Doom first?


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Definitely Mouth of Doom


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

As you look around, you are able to take in more of what fills Pye’s establishment. Two bundles of furs are stacked near the door. Wooden barrels line the floor along the wall, some with their tops open showing things like smoked fish and jerked meat. Shelves are lined with pottery jars whose contents are not immediately obvious; wooden boxes holding herbs and spices in sealed packets; large pieces of soft leather waiting to be crafted into clothing or other items; and one or two of any number of other things, most already used to some degree. Herbs hang from the high ceiling as do several lanterns; the fellow can’t need this many to light his shop, so they must be for sale as well.
To the left of the door in the back wall stands a tall rack with a variety of weapons, held upright by bits of cord tied to nails in the wooden wall behind them. In the back right corner is the beginning of a narrow stair, going up toward the front of the building. Glancing up where the stair passes through the floor, you can see a door that would close the opening from above and you think you hear a voice singing softly. Pye moves back to his place at the counter and finishes wiping down the sword, talking the whole time. “So you’ve just come in, eh? No doubt in the area seeking for adventure. Well, when you need some supplies, you just be coming to Rasmus Pye and I’ll provide them to you at a fair price, yes indeed. Folks wonder how I can get so many things away out here, and it’s because I believe in doing right by people, and so they in turn do right by me.
“Take those furs, for example. The pelt of a bear or a wolf is useful out here, and not too hard to come by. In a great city, though, those pelts are few and far between and will fetch a goodly price. On the other hand, things quite common in the city are rare this close to the wilderness. I’ve traveled up and down and know people hither and yon, and we do business together so that we all benefit.”
Pye gives the sword one last swipe before placing it in the weapons rack, looping a cord around the hilt and guard, and tying it to its own nail. It occurs to you that, besides holding the weapons for display, the ties would severely hamper anyone inclined to suddenly snatch up a weapon and threaten the proprietor. Evidently Rasmus Pye is shrewd as well as affable.
“Nor is it just great traders who benefit – no indeed,” Pye continues, gesturing to his stock. “You see before you the collections of dozens of travelers who somewhere acquired extra gear or unusual items and sold them to me rather than carry them any further. They got a bit of coin for the purse and you, perchance, will be able to find just the right thing for your needs when you venture out yourself. If I’m not here – because sometimes I do travel out, to do what traders do – you can always deal with my excellent assistant.
Pye moves to the stairs and calls up. “My merry love, could I interrupt you for just a moment?” The reply is indistinguishable where you are, but Pye is evidently satisfied for he moves back to his counter and begins the polishing process on a dagger that matches the previous sword. A few moments later you hear footsteps upstairs and someone wearing a green skirt starts down the steps.
“I’m that sorry, my dearest Pye, but I had my mouth full of pins. I started right in to work on my newest order of shirts while the light is good. I heard the bell; have we customers?” The woman who descends wears a white blouse with her skirt, and has golden-brown, curly hair pulled back with a light green kerchief.
“This is my esteemed wife, Meregan,” Rasmus Pye says, introducing her with a flourishing gesture. “Not only does she know where everything is in this wonder of a shop, and put my own poor self to rights, she is outstanding with a needle and makes clothing to special order for many of our customers.”
Meregan looks amused as Pye’s flowery description and gives you a bit of a mocking curtsy, then says, “If you won’t be needing me right now, Pye, I ought to get back to my shirts. You know that I like the light to be just right when I’m sewing so much black, and putting on all those extra pockets takes longer than usual.” Turning to you, she continues, “I suppose you’re taking in the whole village. Do be sure to step around to see Kalgor; he can be a bit of a grump but just ignore that, because it’s the good work he does that’s most important. I hope you’ll be safe in your journeys, so that we’ll see you again many a time!” Meregan gathers her skirts and heads back up the stairs, and you catch Pye admiring his wife’s neat ankles when you turn your attention back to him.
The trader gives you a wink, and says, “She’s quite right, you know; you truly ought to be meeting Kalgor while you’re here. Just go right around the building and his place is at the back. Ulman Dark, also; he has the house off by itself on the other side of the commons and could be supplying you with a bit of healing or two, should you be in need. He can probably be of more help than I about the Mouth of Doom and those bandits. You’d best be taking care, now, as we’d like to see you back often.”


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Good Thomas' eyes have remained wide ever since hearing Pappy's tale; it doesn't take too much imagination to place himself in the story, to imagine himself swinging his own greatsword at the many beasts, going over the precipices, seeing his own friends suffer and die...

After a good meal, he follows Sorek into Pye's shop, and wanders here and there, rubbing at his chin and fingering his now empty coin purse. At the mention of Ulman Dark, he glances over the tops of the aisles to where Pye stands.

"This Ulman Dark. Do you know if he sells potions of healing?"


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Thomas lets go see Kalgor and Ulman and see what we can learn from them.

of course including whoever else is accompanying me besides Thomas


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"He sells healing concoctions that do some healing yes, but they are quite pricey. We have no priest here."


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Most normal supplies, even including armor, can be purchased at Pye's normal prices. Base Value 220 gp; Purchase Limit 1,000 gp. In other words, you can buy anything up to 220 gp, but at 1000 gp you will need to wait for him to resupply.


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Good Thomas gives a last lingering look at some of the wares that he'd pick up if he had the gold, and then nods to Sorek.

He purses his lips in a tight smile as he passes Pye's counter on the way out, and then ducks his head and steps back outside.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Noting Good Thomas's hp, you know you would all have healed 6 hp on the 2 nights on the boat to here. Also, everyone roll a d10 for a rumor you will pick up here.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Ok I'm buying everything on my shopping list except for the grappling arrows which I hope someone with a bow will buy. I now have 31 gp remaining.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Rumour: 1d10 ⇒ 5


HP 38/38 | AC 21, Touch 11, FF 20 | CMD 17 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 | Per +0, Darkvision 30' | Init +5

Rumor: 1d10 ⇒ 8


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Rumor Sorek:
“The elves have returned to the castle to the west, but I hear they shoot first and ask questions later. I always hated elves.”

Rumor Good Thomas:
A couple of levels underneath the Mouth of Doom there is a long passage—miles long—that connects up with the main levels of Rappan Athuk.


HP 43/43 AC 26, T 12, FF 24, CMD 20, Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +8, Init +2, Percep +13

rumor: 1d10 ⇒ 2


Male Kitsune Executioner Slayer 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18, Touch 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2| Per +8 | Sense +6 | Init +4

Rumor: 1d10 ⇒ 7
I need to calculate my gold. Will probably pick up the arrows, Sorek.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Lars Rumor:
“I heard that old elf lord went crazy, something about swords and princes!”

Koan Rumor:
Bristleback buys bearskins and panther skins for 50 gp, and wolf pelts for 20 each. If you bring back a whole bear, the meat’s worth 10 gp to you as well. Wild boars aren’t worth anything to you, though.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Following Rasmus Pye’s instructions, you round the trading post and come upon a rougher, shorter building set up against its back wall. In fact the other building is so close that the upper floor of the trading post actually sits atop part of it, where the second level has apparently been extended. Over the door of the small shop hangs a faded painted sign showing what appears to be a grey rock, superimposed with a red gem. The front has windows but they are shuttered.
You have to stoop a little as you enter the door and it takes your eyes a moment to adjust to the dim interior. Everything seems just a little lower than normal – the counter, the windows, and the door in the far wall. When you see the proprietor you understand the reason, for he is a dwarf. His beard is reddish brown and full, caught together in three places with bands of brass to keep it from falling into his work.
He is seated at a stool on the other side of a high counter, peering closely at something that must be on a shelf in front of him because you cannot see it from where you stand. Two clear glass lamps hang just behind the counter, putting the dwarf in the center of a circle of light and shadowing the rest of the interior. You move closer, and see that he has two rough golden-brown stones laid out on a black cloth. Your motion startles him, as if he was not previously aware of your presence. One big hand claps down over the stones and he stands, not becoming appreciably taller in the process.
“What’s this? Who let ye in here? Oh, yes, the door’s unlocked…. Interested in my wares, eh? Well, well, what d’ye know.” He sweeps the two stones into a small box and tucks it away into some niche under the counter. Now that he is looking at you, you see the dwarf wears glass lenses over both eyes, set in a slender metal frame and held by thin pieces that hook over his ears. “Kalgor’s the name, specialist in gems and other underground treasures. Not that I go digging for ’em, ye understand. Not this dwarf!” He shakes his head emphatically. “But others bring ’em and I take my tools to ’em – a little tap here, and a little tap there, to bring out the rare beauty found in each one. Nor don’t I do it for free! A fellow’s got a right to make a bit of coin for his skill.
“If ye bring me a gem that ye’ve found somewhere, I can tell ye its value. It’ll cost ye ten percent, but I’m accurate and I’m honest, which is more than ye’ll find with most folk around these parts. Then, if ye want me to try to improve it, I can do that too. That’ll cost ye another ten percent up front, and it’s at yer own risk.”
Kalgor puts his fists on his hips at glares at you as if you had contradicted him.
“I make no guarantees, d’ye understand? Though my eye’s good, and my hand’s as steady as ever. I’m as likely as not to improve your pretties so ye can sell ’em off in some big city for a goodly amount of coin. But there’s no guarantees, no guarantees. Nothing in life is certain.
“I see ye looking askance at my spectacles, but don’t be concerned. All the better to see the fine details. Not one cut do I make before I’ve seen my way to the heart of a stone, and heard what it has to tell me about itself.”
Kalgor seats himself on his stool again, and pulls out another small box from below the counter.
“Now, unless ye’ve business for me today, I need to get back to work. Be off with ye, and come back when ye’ve brought me something pretty.” At that the dwarf begins to fiddle with his tools, glancing up at you over the top of his spectacles until he sees you’re truly leaving. Closing the door on the dimness, you squint as you step out again into the bright sun.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

You wander back past the ferryman’s house and look north across the small peninsula which holds the settlement. From here you can see the remains of a stone wall along the far side of the spit of land, giving some small amount of protection to any attack that might come from the river on the north. It is at least head high in most places, and taller and in better shape where it meets the guard tower at the gate. The wall is only a few tumbled stones along the east side of the peninsula, though, and nothing is left of it in the area of the dock.
Built almost up against the wall on the north side, as far away from the rest of the settlement as it is possible to get, is a large wooden house: the home of Ulman Dark. It seems a bit odd that it stands so far from the other buildings, when some of the ones to the south are built literally on top of one another. You head north across the common space and realize it is grassy on this end, though it is mostly dirt near the inn and stables. The house ahead must be at least two stories tall; it is as tall as any other building in the village. There is a stone stoop, and two stone steps up to the front door. The main floor has no windows but the upper level has some, or at least you see two at the front.
Just as you near the house the door opens and a woman pauses in the doorway. She is dressed in dark leather and holding a black crossbow, with long auburn hair held out of her face by a woven band. A quiver hangs at her side, its strap around her neck and lying between her breasts. Her brown eyes survey you coolly, and then she smiles.
“So, have you come to see the necromancer in his lair? Come to hire the services of the great Ulman Dark?” Her voice seems slightly mocking, but that may be your own misperception. “You don’t look injured yet, so perhaps this is just a preventive measure? Always a wise choice, acquiring a healing draught before you need it. Just don’t use very many at a time – not even Ulman is always quite sure what’s in them, and too much of a good thing could kill you.” The woman turns gracefully, poised on the doorstep, and calls back into the house. “Ulman! Someone here to see you.” She leans her shoulder against the door frame for a few moments, the crossbow negligently dangling from her left hand.
A man dressed in black appears in the doorway behind her and speaks in a deep voice. “Kanndra? I thought you had gone out to shoot that nasty crossbow of yours.”
“How many times do I have to tell you? It isn’t the weapon that’s nasty; it’s the woman who wields it.”
The woman – Kanndra – gives the necromancer a smile and a significant glance, then steps lightly down the stairs and walks around the west side of the house. By moving that way slightly yourself, you can see a large barrel sitting against the north wall, a target painted on it. The outer white and middle yellow rings are nearly untouched; you see some marks in the inner red ring but if there are any hits in the center black circle, they are not visible from where you are.
“Welcome to the abode of Ulman Dark.” intones the man now alone in the doorway, and you give your attention back to him. He is tall and slender with pale skin, as if he spends very little time out of doors. His black hair brushes his shoulder and falls into his eyes and his dark eyes are shadowed, as if he never gets enough sleep. “Please, step inside and let me tell you about my services.” He ushers you in, and then closes the door behind you.
It seems very dark inside, and your eyes try to adjust. Suddenly the room is flooded with more light; two hooded lanterns on the wall which were mostly closed have been opened to their fullest. You squint briefly against the bright light and see Ulman Dark seat himself on a tall, high-backed chair in front of the lanterns. His face is in shadow as he begins to speak in his smooth voice.
“I have studied extensively in many cities, and in the wilderness where few others have ever set foot. The knowledge of the stars is mine, and the animals of the night, and the plants that bloom in darkness, and things that grow in dark places. I have studied the persons of humans, elves, dwarves, and many other races; I know what makes them live, and I know what makes them die. I understand what herbs and substances are necessary for a body to heal itself, and I combine these rare ingredients painstakingly into a healthful draught than can help alleviate an injury or wound. In addition, there is more I can do!” Dark’s voice increases in volume slightly with his excitement. You also become aware of a rhythmic thumping outside, every several seconds, which seems to underscore what Dark is saying.
“My great knowledge of the body allows me to recognize many diseases both terrible and common. Through the use of such practices as leeching, and purging, and the application of plasters and the imbibing of nostrums, it is possible that I may help the afflicted to cheat death, and live, though the most deadly disease try to say me nay.”
He grips the arms of his chair and leans forward. “Yet more amazing is the possibility of removing deadly poisons from the body. I have studied poisons extensively indeed and know that few have a certain cure. But many may have a cure! The procedure is complicated and difficult, requiring precision and concentration, and the application of certain very rare ingredients. It can only be effective at all if begun within hours, lest the poison have too tight of a grip to shake.
“Any of these services is available to anyone, for a most reasonable fee. There is no need to appease a particular deity, or appeal to the good nature of someone who may disapprove of you. I ask only for payment in advance, for my best effort will be expended and my stores depleted, whether or not I am able to battle back the ravages that may come upon a body. I am able to make no guarantees, for I am not a god nor aspire to be one, that I should promise to cure all the ills of men. I can but do my best, but my best is very fine indeed.”
His voice softens and becomes intense. As he leans forward his face is somewhat illuminated, and his eyes look very dark. His deep voice continues, persuading you of his abilities.
“The most amazing of my services, though, I have yet to mention. My studies, which some deplore as ‘black magic,’ have granted me a measure of power over life and death. The temples of the gods keep their secrets well hidden, but I have found that it is possible even to restore life to a body, after life has fled.” The sounds outside have stopped and it is suddenly very quiet here, as if everything is holding its breath in the face of this incredible claim. Dark continues in a hushed voice. “I cannot go into more details, for this procedure is my own secret, one thing that only I know, one gift that only I can give the world. However, it is costly, and horrendously difficult, to the point that I myself may be physically devastated by the procedure. Here again I can make no guarantees, but many an unfortunate adventurer has been brought to my door lifeless and cold, only to be restored to his or her comrades with joy after my own humble efforts.” He has drawn your attention with his recitation, made you feel the tension and triumph he describes, and so you are startled with Dark suddenly rises to his feet, silhouetted against the lamps.
“Now go!” he says, gesturing toward the door. He turns and with a gesture closes the lanterns, plunging the room into darkness. You hear his steps and then he flings open the door, giving enough light for you to make your way out. As you are stepping out, he urges you again. “Go on into your adventures and come back when you must, and from my knowledge and skills I will endeavor to provide you with what you need.”
Just then Kanndra Dark comes around the corner of the house, her crossbow held carelessly over her shoulder and her quiver empty. She is panting slightly, and sweating from her exertion. Her graceful movements make every step look as if she is dancing. “The bolts are stuck again, Ulman, but the guards say they will get them out for me.” She stands close to him and looks up at him with a smile. “Have you concluded your conversation? Do you then have some time for me, before I have to go?”
Dark gives you another intent look, then turns his gaze back to his wife. “Come, my dear, let us make the best use of our short time before you leave,” and turning his back on you he firmly closes the door.
Raised voices around the corner catch your attention, and you walk around the house to find three men arguing over a clutch of crossbow bolts stuck into the target barrel. All three are dressed in leather pants, plain shirts, and brown tunics with short sleeves, on one of which is embroidered a simple pattern of a river and a boat.
“One thing I don’t want is Kanndra Dark unhappy with me again,” the first one says with a shudder. “That tongue of hers could flay a bear alive and make him beg her to just stab him rather than haranguing him more.”
“Let’s see if we can get the bolts out without breaking them,”
the second one suggests more calmly. “She wasn’t very happy with our results yesterday.”
“I am never doing anything to get a price on my head,”
the third man says, digging at the bolts with his dagger, “if there’s a chance in hell that Kanndra Dark might be the one to come after me. I heard, before I came here, that she poisons her crossbow bolts with something exotic. That way not only is her target injured, he’s confused, or weak, or forced to cooperate, depending on who’s telling you. I didn’t credit it at the time, but now seeing who her husband is, I can believe it.”
“It’s true she’s a mite sharp-spoken,”
the second man begins, and the first one snorts at the understatement, “but watching her fire that crossbow is a thing of grace and beauty. I’d be happy to watch all day, but we’d need to get her more than one target so she doesn’t feel a need to put all the bolts into one bull’s-eye.”
The two who are not engaged in digging bolts out of the target notice you watching, and motion you over. “Come take a look at this target!” one calls. “It’s some amazing shooting.” You stroll over and see that what you thought was the dark center of the bull’s-eye is instead the fletched ends of closely packed crossbow bolts. Evidently the shooter had put the bolts through the center of the target, directly next to each other. Up close you can also see differences among the three men. The one who spoke to you has light brown hair, closely cropped, and is a bit more heavy-set than the others. The second man is a bit younger and taller than the others, with dark blond hair, while the fellow attempting to remove the crossbow bolts has brown hair liberally sprinkled with gray and is slender but appears strong.
“That Kanndra Dark,” the younger man says. “The first day she was here, she had us set up a target for her. After a few shots she got us to weight it with a log. Her bolts really tore up the barrel that day since she kept hitting in the center or close to it. Yesterday she shot the center right out, but wasn’t this precise.”
“Yes,”
agrees the brown-haired man, “And asked us to get her bolts out, and then gave us a tongue-lashing when we broke half a dozen of them.”
“Today I think she hit more than just the exact center,”
continues the blond, “but it’s hard to tell with the middle of the target completely gone. I’m Tancred Malgun, by the way, one of the guards of Zelkor’s Ferry. You just arrived this morning, didn’t you? I saw Captain Skorma talking to you earlier. This fellow here is Corbel Grambien, and our friend who is so handy with a dagger is Bernhard Caxton.” Bernhard gives a nod over his shoulder and keeps working.
“Kanndra Dark always causes a bit of a stir when she’s here,” Corbel remarks. “She’s married to Ulman Dark right enough, but she’s a bounty hunter and so she’s away a good portion of the time. She’s here for a few days every couple of months, maybe, though I understand she’s been gone as long as six months at once when she had to chase some fellow right out into the desert down south.”
“I’ve heard she’s cruel,”
Tancred says in a hushed voice, looking over his shoulder at the house behind him. “When a person gives her a lot of trouble she tortures him before she turns him in, or kills him slowly if the reward is for him dead. I dearly admire that red hair of hers and she moves like a dancer when she has a sword in her hands, but a poisonous snake is graceful too and probably a lot less dangerous.”
Bernhard straightens slowly, a dozen bolts in his hand, and motions for Corbel to take over the task. “You two wouldn’t remember this,” he says quietly, “because it was before Bristleback hired you, but one time we all saw what Kanndra Dark can do.” He glances at you, to be sure you are listening as well. “You know Ulman does healings for people, though he uses his own strange methods. Well, one time a healing went awry and it laid him out so that he was terribly weak. The folks he was trying the healing for weren’t happy with the results; not only did they refuse to pay him for his effort, they stole a goodly amount of money from him and some other stuff. They just rode out of town, and the rest of us didn’t know what had happened until the next day. Then we found Ulman and took care of him but there was nothing we could do about the theft – until Kanndra arrived that night.
[b]“When she heard what had happened, she became like a scorching flame. Just her look would have started straw on fire! You think her tongue was rough yesterday? That was nothing compared to what she had to say about those thieves. She looked everywhere in and around the house. She questioned Igor and Vort, and searched the stables, then rode out of here like a streak of dark lightning.
“Evidently that group hadn’t gotten far enough away. Of course, there had not been anyone to warn them that Kanndra would be coming after them.”
Bernhard narrows his eyes and gives you a thin smile. “Not that a warning would have done them any good. By the time Ulman Dark was back on his feet Kanndra returned with not only his missing things, and some other useful magical items, but also a present: six nicely-tanned human skins. Someone told me later that he used them to bind a set of new books for his notes. He just wasn’t able to make the books very large because he had to work around holes in the skins in several places.”
Corbel and Tancred just stare at Bernhard, their eyes a bit wide at this announcement. Corbel clears his throat.
“Here are the rest of the bolts; why don’t you,” and he passes them to Bernhard, “leave them on her doorstep? I’m sure she’ll find them there. I’ll be sitting on the other side of the barracks.” He turns to you. “You’re welcome to come, too. It just seems safer over there all of a sudden.”


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||
Sorek wrote:
Aggrammar after lunch I'm going to go and see if I can buy some ropes and other items. I'm not really a drinker but if you want to have round 1 of champion of the mug with Lars I understand.

"Sounds good to me lad - ye do that" - the dwarf nods, smiling at the 'champion of the mug' reference - "Don't think I'll be getting inta that just yet, and like I told ya, Thyr wants me alert, so alert I will be, lest he smite me where I stand" - he winks.

After lunch, and with most of the group taking care of restocking, Aggrammar wanders the small settlement, taking notice of people's actions, and pondering to himself how these people bravely live out their existence so close to a place rumored to be so dangerous.

He will go down to the water's edge, and watch the fishing boats floating around, even taking off his boots and dipping his travel weary feet in the water.

As he moves around Zelkor's Ferry, he does not force any conversation, but doesn't shy away from any also, in case it pops up.

He does address Ysbel before leaving the Bristleback inn - "Let me ask ye something girl - is there some sort of temple or chapel around the Ferry somewhere? Who tends to yer village's spiritual needs?"


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

did the guards, Ulman or Kalgor mention have anything to say about the mouth of doom or the bandits that Pye mentioned?

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"We have no priest here. We are so few that we have been unable to attract one."

Only pappy has been to the Mouth of Doom. If asked, they will affirm there are a lot of bandits in the area. Kanndra spends quite a bit of her time hunting them down.


Male Half-Orc Bard 3 | AC 18 T 12 F 16 | HP 27/27 | F +3 R +5 W +2 | Init +2 | Perc +5 Bard 3 (Buccaneer)

Being the odd man out, Jar'k offers to pay the first night of the inn for the adventuring group. He cautiously pulls out another 6 gold coins from a different pocket. As soon as the stories start flying off, Jar'k finds himself immersed in the many tales everyone has to offer. He quietly scribbles down all the important notes and details he is able to with his quills. While scribbling what tales he hears, Jar'k tries to jot down notes of what he knows or at least thinks he knows by what is implied. Upon reaching the end of the normal tales he sets about town trying to find out more relating to the Mouth of Doom and Rappan Athuk.

Knowledge (Arcana) Spellstealing monster with eye rays: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Knowledge (Dungeoneeering general): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Knowledge (Local) tales/rumors: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Rumor roll: 1d10 ⇒ 8

At this rate, I'll be out of ink and parchment before we ever leave the village...

At Pye's goods establishment, Jar'k purchases as much parchment, scroll cases, and ink as he can find available. I guess up to 25 gold pieces.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

also inquiring about any knowledge of a dragon in the area. . Has the town ever been attacked?

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||

It seems I forgot to roll for the Rumor: 1d10 ⇒ 7


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Jar'k, your rumor was the same as Good Thomas's so look at his, but I will give you another for the knowledge local that will fit with Sorek's question also:

“I heard a giant black dragon was seen in the hills to the west. They say it serves a demon!”

Rumor Aggramar:
Bristleback buys bearskins and panther skins for 50 gp, and wolf pelts for 20 each. If you bring back a whole bear, the meat’s worth 10 gp to you as well. Wild boars aren’t worth anything to you, though.
Same as Koan's.


Male Half-Orc Bard 3 | AC 18 T 12 F 16 | HP 27/27 | F +3 R +5 W +2 | Init +2 | Perc +5 Bard 3 (Buccaneer)

Jar'k takes the first opportunity he finds to be alone with his companions to swap tales to further his notes.

"I think I may have found our dragon. Someone claims there is a black one to the west in the hills. They claim is serves a demon. With these dungeons nearby and the wagon we saw before, I wouldn't dare chance it as just a tall-tell."


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Back at the Bristleback Inn Sorek looks for Pappy bringing Jark (will need your notes and parchment) and whoever else is still accompanying him along.

Looking for Pappy and offering him an Ale if he would like. We try to get more information on the location of the Mouth of Doom and any other details about it that would be useful. Having Pappy and/or Jark draw up the location on parchment.

Also asking for any details on bandits in the area.

Hi Ysbel, where has the day gone... Is Pappy around?


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Pappy is napping in his chair.
"Pappy! They have some questions for you."


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

giving Pappy some time to wake up.

Ysbel please get Pappy whatever he usually like to drink after waking from his nap

Once Pappy is fully awake. Thanks for speaking with us before. It was a great help. I went straight from here to Pye's where I bought another 150ft of rope and pitons. I hope that plus my first 50ft will be enough. We were wondering if you could tell us more about the Mouth of Doom specifically where it's located and if we truly need a Wizard in the Mouth or only once we venture into Rappan. Anything more you can tell us will be greatly appreciated


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"Stout veterans like you should be able to handle the Mouth as long as you can deal with the traps. Just watch out for all the little demons! Nasty little creatures they are! They spread diseases of various kinds. Some of my crew had 2 to 3 different diseases at the same time! Of course I can never underestimate the value of a wizard being one myself. But if you don't have one with you, you will have to make do I guess."


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Thanks for the information Pappy. Can you mark down on our map where the entrance to the Mouth is? And how should we get there by boat or on foot? Any bandit groups of note between here and the Mouth?


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"By walking it is about eight miles to the south. Take you about 3 hours by foot. No boats to the hill. Yeah, there are bandits out there, but not many this close to the Ferry."

I updated the area map


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

Thanks again Pappy. When we come back from the Mouth we'll give you a good tale.

Well, has everyone done all their shopping? And exploring around the Ferry? Shall we sleep tonight at the Inn and head to the Mouth first thing in the morning after breakfast?


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||
Jar'k Gnor-wek wrote:

Jar'k takes the first opportunity he finds to be alone with his companions to swap tales to further his notes.

"I think I may have found our dragon. Someone claims there is a black one to the west in the hills. They claim is serves a demon. With these dungeons nearby and the wagon we saw before, I wouldn't dare chance it as just a tall-tell."

"Hmmmm" - Aggrammar scratches his beard - "So, not only a darned dragon, but one serving a demon ye say? Things just keep getting better and better dontcha think" - he answers Jar'k - "I wonder why it is that wretch hasn't lain waste to the Ferry. Any ideas?"

Overall I think I am set. Might not be a bad idea to grab one or two more vials of Antitoxin. Something that can assist with trap detection?


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

"I was wondering the same thing about the dragon. . Maybe they have some sort of deal with the beast. Some sort of tribute "

the next time we speak with pappy and the wait staff we'll ask them about the dragon

@Aggrammar what did you have in mind to aid with trap detection

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Ulman Dark thinks the idea of antitoxins is a good one and will study the idea sometime. He does, however have a treatment for poisons involving goats blood. He is the only person in town that deals with alchemy. Should one of your party get poisoned he is willing to try it though, no guarantees. (Think of yourselves on the bayou a long ways from any type of real civilization! No cleric, no wizard, no alchemist just a necromancer! Hey they at least have an inn:))


Male Kitsune Executioner Slayer 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18, Touch 14, FF 14 | CMD 17 | Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2| Per +8 | Sense +6 | Init +4

Koan trails behind Sorek in Pye's shop, picking out three special arrows meant for grappling. He raises an eyebrow towards Sorek, silently asking him if it would be useful. Sorek nods in affirmation.

3 gold spent, 188 remaining.

Ulman, is there a treatment for disease? We've been told that there are many varieties of diseases within Rappan Athuk. Surely, a man of your... skill... has something, no?


Male Half-Orc Bard 3 | AC 18 T 12 F 16 | HP 27/27 | F +3 R +5 W +2 | Init +2 | Perc +5 Bard 3 (Buccaneer)

"Hmm... a deal. Who knows what foul compromise someone would make with a demon that powerful. As there seems to be a lack of supplies and skills in this town, we may have to hope for chance meetings with other adventurers and whatever specialties they may have. For now, I say we get our feet wet and see if there is anything of use in this Mouth of Doom place."

I think we would all be ready for now to go to Mouth of Doom. That will give the town a little time to restock, and get us going without too much trouble.


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

He holds up one jar that is full of leeches and opens another that smells like a sewer. "Yes, I can cure diseases. If you catch one, come back with 500 GP and I will make the attempt."


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

There is some commotion down at the docks as a keel boat has arrived. Off steps a huge blonde northerner with holy symbols none of you recognize with the possibility of your cleric (knowledge religion DC 15). "I am Bjorn and I have come to spread the word of the blessings of the heart of Arden to the backwater hell hole!"


Male dwarf evangelist cleric of Thyr 7 || HP: 70/70 || Init +5 || Wand of CLW (35/50) || Sermonic Performance (16/16) || Channels (3/3) ||

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Aggrammar stands there with a bemused smile on his face - 'backwater hell hole'... - he whispers to himself - "Now there's a self righteous lad if I ever saw one"


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

He is a priest of Arden, the dead god. Worship of Arden has started back up of late. Needless to say he is not getting access to high level spells. To him, anything with 50 miles of Rappan Athuk is close enough to be part of the 'hell hole'".


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

Bjorn sets out and starts healing the sick and infirmed as he goes about the hamlet. This is not going to go over real well with Ulfen though as he seems to not be charging for it although he does accept a donation or two. Mostly he is seeking some stone to build a small shrine.


HP 85/85 | vs Evil +1AC(deflection) AC 24 | T 20 | FF 20 |not vs Evil= AC 23 | T 19 | FF 20 | CMD 26| F +7| R +12 Evasion| W +11 |vs Evil opponents +1 Saves(Resistance)|Init +8 | Perc +14 | | PP 15/17 Buffs=+4ac Inertial Armor 2hr,

True Aggrammar he may be self righteous but I can't imagine a worshipper of Arden to be THAT bad. I hope he stays here at the Ferry. I would certainly trust any potions or cures created by him over any by the resident Necromancer

Sorek walks up to Bjorn detecting evil not expecting to pick up on anything Welcome Bjorn, what brings you to the Ferry?


Male Human Rogue6/Clr1 Current Map

"Peace be unto you, Sorek. I am here to bring the blessings of Arden to those that might wish to rid this area of the evil taint that is upon it. Too long since the falling of the Army of Light has the will of Orcus held sway here. I am neither warrior nor adventurer, but I can hope to at least establish a small shrine."

451 to 500 of 4,749 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Legend of Rappan Athuk All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.