To Live in Infamy - a Skull and Shackles AP

Game Master Nayr Trebrot

Plunder, Infamy, and Disrepute
Plunder - 4; Infamy - 3; Disrepute - 1
Tracking page
Ship combat
The Shackles
Ricketys Squibs
Combat Map
Captain Pegsworthy


3,251 to 3,276 of 3,276 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>

Rush does his best, but the sailor at the wheel of the opposing ship is quite skilled, and keeps about even. The ship still sits on the horizon, in about the same spot as before.

Kinda' makes sense though...you were sort of thrust into this role. Shows you how important profession sailor is though. For silent image, you'd be able to summon an image of 4 10-foot cubes + 1 additional per level. So, you may not be able to make a very large ship - or, you could make one that is pretty long, but it would only be ten feet visible above the water. What would you like it to look like?


Tap casts his spell, and the image of a ship appears on the horizon, tracking as if headed to intersect the route of the pursuer. Due to the distance, it doesn't cause an instant stir; however, within an hour or so, you can see quite a bit of movement on the ship behind you. The distance is too great to see exactly what is happening, but you can tell that the ship behind is getting further away....it must be slowing down.

Looks like it's slowing down....do you want to keep on strong away from it?


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Captain? Seize the advantage now? Or let them go? I doubt this trick will work more than once.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

La di da, loo poo ha! Sing all day long' bring me a drink, so I can Ding this dong. was Tap's only response as he continues to maintain the illusion through endless hours of performance.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Sail, Rush, we sail!


You drive on towards the horizon, and the ship behind pulls back quite a bit. You can just barely see it on the horizon as Tap's image would, if true to the pretend speed of its travel, reach the Oncoming Storm. It seems as if the ship behind is content to lag back quite a bit, but not retreat fully. It's as if they're waiting to see if this new ship is a fellow pirate, intent upon doing harm to what was, presumably, their prey.

Do you want to send the ship towards them - past you? At some point, they'll interact with it, which would give them a will save, or flee.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Keep present course. Raise the flag with our sigil! I will have the illusion raise a matching flag in response, to make it clear we are aligned. Tap breathes in between rhymes.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

His eyes grainy, his muscles tired, and his breath short from manning the wheel for so many hours straight, Rush pushes more air into the sails. Marking another use of alter winds. Going to need relief soon, get some rest. Clouds are forming, but its clear weather up until then. Still hours away..... Is there anywhere we can hide? Or continue the mad dash?


At the extent of both spells and constitution, look to the waves and say thanks to Besmara herself when you take note that the ship behind has disappeared. The lookout above had been calling down its perceived distance over the last hour, and now it was too far back to even see.

Belliott makes his way over, bringing some watered rum and an actually serviceable heel of bread to both the captain and the pilot. Kroop's cooking has vastly improved now that he has reinvested himself in this fledgeling ship and crew. Belliott, of course, is chewing on his own. Cap'n, sir...the pursuing ship is gone. He heaves a great sigh; Belliott had no doubt wanted to fight, not run. Orders, sir?


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Pirates fighting pirates is not profitable, especially when that pirate is Harrigan's man. Continue course to our destination. The sooner we equip our boat, the better.


You make your way through the rest of the day without mishap. Rush warns of some storms coming your way, and sure enough, they arrive by night time. As rain begins to patter the deck, the pirates curse and take their nightly games below, changing to things like simple cards or dice.

What's the deal with watches; are the officers taking any? If there's a watch, how many are set at a time?


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush would like to beg off of being on watch after having to man the wheel for so long.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack shrugs, and decides that he'll keep watch. The stars should be bright and clear tonight.


Just for general use, is there a standard rotation for night watch? Like, do you have 2 or 3 pirates on deck at all times - in shifts of course - during the night? Keep in mind you have a whole crew...no reason that the PC's have to take this all on themselves.
Or, I may be just setting you up so my critters can kill you...


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

I figured that a PC might participate for sake of morale, and to keep them honest and sober


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4
xeyed-jack wrote:
I figured that a PC might participate for sake of morale, and to keep them honest and sober

Never ask your crew to do something that you won't. I don't think it always needs to be a PC, but at least another officer should be on rotation.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

As captain, Tap is always on watch, even when he is sleeping.


Random chance - this night, Jack is on the deck. Tap, Rush, and Sunyata are in the captain's quarters, going over their plans.

This evening, rain patters the deck and distant rumbles indicate a more severe storm passing - according to Rush, it's headed from south to north ahead, so you may see the tail end of it tomorrow. the constant deluge makes watches on the deck tough at times, but an officer is always on watch to keep the crew honest and on task.

Jack perception check DC15:
You hear a strange clatter on the starboard bow. Tilly is there, and makes her way over, looking into the dark water below.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack looks down in to the water below. You see anything there, Tilly? Its as black as a pirate's soul down there.

perception-look-into-water: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Jack:
You move over to towards the railing, and Tilly looks over her shoulder as she approaches the side of the ship. However, she stops and looks down...as do you. There, a two pronged hook sits on its side. It is about the size of a boarding axe and is made of whalebone. And, you note as it begins to travel away from you....it's hooked to a chain. The hook pulls all the way to the railing, where it holds and grows taught - a grappling hook!

Initiative Jack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Initiative Tilly: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Initiative Hook: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

And, you're up!


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Spoiler:

What should I roll for attempting to break the whale bone hook

attack-the-hook: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25 crit
crit-confirm: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 does this confirm?
damage-the-hook: 1d6 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 8 + (3) = 16

Something is trying to board our ship!


Jack:
We'll go with the chain, not the hook - the chain has hardness 10 - which is basically DR, and 5 HP. So, it would take 15 damage to smash it....which you did!

You sever the chain at the base of the hook and it whips back into the water with a splash! The hook drops to the deck, useless. After your call, you hear more clattering about the ship - seemingly from every location.

Tilly breathes out a gasp, then unsheathes her own cutlass and stands with you, facing the dark water.

Jack is up again, though you see nothing in the waters below - probably too dark.

From within the captain's cabin, you hear a call - Jack's voice, you recognize.

Something is trying to board our ship!

Sunyatta, Tap, and Rush are all in the captain's quarters and hear the call. Feel free to roll initiative and act, having heard the call. All of the other crewmen will act on the initiative below

Pirate initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Initiatives so far:
Jack
Something?
Pirates
Tilly


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush opens his bleary eyes, then his mind seems to snap as he realizes what he heard. His eyes go wide as he shoots to his feet.... errrr, his foot... and begins gathering up his gear.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 Any more boarding hooks?

Not knowing what else to do, Jack lets out a well-practiced tirade of fury and defiance. [b]Who dares to board our ship in the night? Who dares to disturb our sailor's rest? For every one of you, I will cut off your limbs, pull out your eyes, and gouge your eyes. I will wear your bones, and feed your innards to the harpies. Go back while you still may, for there will be no mercy, and your destruction inevitable.

intimidate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


Jack can see by the lamplight on the deck that there are more of the white whalebone hooks landing on the deck. Alas, his threats are only greeted by the dark waters on this edge.

A call rings out. They're climbing up! This comes from the port stern.

3,251 to 3,276 of 3,276 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / To Live in Infamy - a Skull and Shackles AP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.