Dungeon Master S's "The Extinction Curse"

Game Master Chris Marsh

TACTICAL MAP |STRATEGIC MAPS |GAZETTEER |HANDOUTS |CAMPAIGN RECORDS |NPCs | Circus Acts | CIRCUS OF WAYWARD WONDERS | Running the Show |The Story Thus Far

Default Exploration Mode:

Charlie is Scouting
[dice=Hostiles]d20[/dice]
[dice=Charlie]d20+9+1[/dice] (Scout)
[dice=Chark]d20+13+1[/dice] (Search)
[dice=Dendillion]d20+9+1[/dice] (Detect Magic)
[dice=Haldan]d20+8+1[/dice] (Seek, Keen Eyes)
[dice=Tiny]d20+12+1[/dice] (Search)

*If you do not make a specific post (with referenced skill and modifier) this will be the assumed action and initiative roll.

Perception:

[dice=Chark]d20+13[/dice] (T, LLV)
[dice=Charlie]d20+9[/dice] (T)
[dice=Dendillion]d20+10[/dice] (E)
[dice=Tiny]d20+9[/dice] (T)
[dice=Haldan]d20+8[/dice] (T)

Door Protocol:

The party stops 5ft away from the door. Dendillion moves to the front of the party and checks the door for traps.
[dice=Perception (Expert) to Seek]1d20+8[/dice]
If he finds a trap, he attempts to disarm the trap, warning everyone to move 10ft back.
[dice=Thievery (Trained) to Disable a Device]1d20+8[/dice]
Repeat this if multiple checks are required
Once he's satisfied that the door is safe he checks to see if it's locked. If it is, he puts tools to work to pick the lock (assuming we don't have a key that fits)
[dice=Thievery (Trained) to Pick a Lock]1d20+8[/dice]
Repeat this if multiple checks are required, or until he breaks his picks (will use a Hero point on a crit fail though)
With the door ready to open, Dendillion moves back and lets Tiny open the door.


1 to 50 of 3,520 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

MAP TEMPLATES | Social Combat | War for the Crown | Campaign Tracker |

FIAT LVDVS


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

An extremely well-dressed man sits on a log by the campfire, strumming his lute. He works through a series of minor pentatonic chords, creating a kind of sweet/sour melody that is emotive. Keeping in G major, he plays a simple strumming pattern over G, then switches to C for a few before returning to G. He progresses to a D chord, adding a fill before hitting the turnaround and cycling through the progression anew. He does this effortlessly, almost unconsciously, his eyes closed throughout.

A gust of wind pushes the sweet smell of burning pine from the campfire to his nose. The air is cool, and his wavy brown hair moves in the breeze. When he does open his eyes to look around, they're a striking cornflower blue. The kind of blue that wives appreciate, but husbands distrust.

The bard, who goes by the name Dendillion, pulls a capo from out of his backpack. He places it on the first fret of his lute, strums an A minor chord, and begins to sing.

Toss a Coin to Your Ranger, Part 1:
When a humble bard
Graced a ride along
With Jeralt of Taldor
Along came this song

From when the Red Wolf fought
A silver-tongued devil
His army of Chelish
At his hooves did they revel

They came after me
With masterful deceit
Broke down my lute
And they kicked in my teeth

While the devil's horns
Minced our tender meat
And so cried the Fighter
He can't be bleat

He pauses. "You know, I'm still not quite sure about the lyrics. I mean, when I spoke with Jeralt he told me that I was definitely not telling the story truthfully. He asked me, of all things, where my respect for truth was. I had to tell him 'respect doesn't make history'"

Dendillion then says, "Anyhow, you'll love this chorus. I'm quite proud of it myself. Here goes," and he breaks back out into song.

Toss a Coin to Your Ranger, Part 2:
Toss a coin to your Ranger
Oh Valley of Plenty
Oh Valley of Plenty
Ohh
Toss a coin to Your Ranger
Oh Valley of Plenty

At the edge of the world
Fight the mighty horde
That bashes and breaks you
And brings you to mourn

He thrust every Chel
Far back on the shelf
High up on the mountain
From whence it came

He wiped out your pest
Got kicked in his chest
He's a friend of humanity
So give him the rest

That's my epic tale
Our champion prevailed
Defeated the villain
Now pour him some ale

Toss a coin to your Ranger
Oh Valley of Plenty
Oh Valley of Plenty
Ohh
Toss a coin to your Ranger
And friend of humanity[/i]

He repeats the chorus at the end of the song several times, really leaning into it. When he finishes, he takes a deep breath and beams a beatific smile. Dendillion looks at the others around campfire. "What do you think? Pretty catchy, right?"

The song sounds eerily similar to THIS SONG


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Looking up from the fire is a slightly disheveled man that smells more of animal than anything else. Straw bits stick out from his clothes and dust clings to his hair. He is in dire need of a shower, though time on the road has taken its toll on his hygiene level. His face looks mopey and tired-looking as he stares into the cackling flames and listening to the song. He doesn't try to hop in on the chorus. Singing was never his thing, especially lately.

He looks up as the song ends. "It's g..g..ge..ge..g..getting better." Charlie stutters out. "That your n...n..new one you been working on?"

Charlie looks around the campfire to the others than join him as the numerous carts line the camp. "Where are w..w...we headed to next?"


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

"It is, yes! Not something for my act, but an inspiring tune nonetheless. Who doesn't want to hear about a monster-hunting ranger that fights Chelish devils?" He strums a D minor on his lute, as if punctuating the statement.

"I think we're heading to Abberton? Honestly, anywhere with a willing audience will do. And where there's an audience, there's food and coin. It'll be fun, so turn that frown upside down, Charlie!" Dendillion channels his charm into his words, working to improve the moping man's mood.


MAP TEMPLATES | Social Combat | War for the Crown | Campaign Tracker |

Upon hearing the bard's song, the ringleader approaches the fire. Myron “Thunder” Stendhal is a rara avis in the circus, he comes from a well-to-do family. At least that's what everyone says on account of his high class make up and garb.

"Excellent! Excellent. You've got a talent there.... Dendillion, right? Keep that up. I see potential in you. Someday you could find yourself famous!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Looking up from tending a wound on the forepaw of Charlie's friend — it would never do to call Goliath a pet — is a striking half-elf of Garundi descent. On various patches of skin are numerous tattoos, belying her Varisian upbringing.

Not so famous that you leave the troupe, of course, she says while gently finishing tying her bandage and giving the massive bear a smile (you'll be back at it in no time!) as it slinks away to return to Charlie's side. But maybe just famous enough to bring us all some fortune, and a bit of fame to go with it, hmm?


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

Dendillion beams at the accolades, especially from Myron. But his answer is to Chark. "I wouldn't dream of it, oh Inked One. My travels are with you all now. I actually quite like the group. And I've yet to write the epic ballad in your honour, Chark. I promise, it will be epic!"


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Seeing Chark come back to the fire he smiles. "How's the b..b..bi.big guy d..d..doing? he g..g.got pretty banged up."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

Sitting around the first place and listening to the song, Haldan takes his hat off with a flourish seemingly meant only to amuse him. Trying to keep on the beat with the song, he tosses cards into the hat, one at a time to practice his aim.

"We are truly blessed to be around such talent! So glad you branched off with us in the less than amicable separation. Charlie, would Goliath like a treat?"

Haldan walks up to Myron and pulls a treat from behind his ear.

"There always seems to be an endless supply back there... I do hope knows I'm joking about that." He says to Myron with a wink.


CG Male Poppet Familiar (HP 25/25), AC 20, Perception +9, Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10 Speed 25| Active conditions —

"Oh, you think you're so funny. Bloody plonker."

Hermann says under his breath gathering up the cards and the hat.


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Charlie smiles and nods towards the large wooden and metal covered wagon where Goliath is resting. "Sure! He's in there." he watches as he pulls treats out from behind his ear to feed the bear.


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

He'll be fine, Chark says with a gentle smile. No sprain, just twisted; and the spike broke the skin but isn't infected. He's got luck on his side.

To Dendillion, Chark says, Oh, your epic ballad will be epic? Good to know, she says with a smirk, sitting at the fire's edge and adding some flame from her hand. A bit chilly this evening, she adds.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

"Allow me to add another log to the fire," Dendillion says, standing up. He walks over to pick up one of the freshly cut logs, then hauls it back and tosses it unceremoniously onto the fire.

He sits back down and returns to his original tune in the key of G, plucking strings in the same 12-bar pattern as before. "Chark, do you not like 'epic'? Should it instead be 'fantastic'? Or 'inspiring'? I suppose I could make it 'far-fetched', but I prefer to make a more alluring music. It should resemble its subject," he says this last bit with a grin and a wink.


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Chark smiles even as she puts her hand on her hip, her other hand still full of the flame she produced for the campfire. Easy, killer. Little boys who play with fire tend to get burned, she chides. The scold is mind, yet firm.

Chark is momentarily distracted as one of Haldan's cards lands by her boot and the grumpy rabbit snatches it up. Her face grows a scowl at once, though, when the gnome brings up the separation. Let's not spoil the evening talking about that, she says icily. I'd like to keep my dinner down.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

"Yes, lets all keep our dinners. Here, allow me to play one that's a hit at most inns and taverns I've frequented. Sailors and dock workers love it, though I must admit that fishmongers don't," Dendillion quickly works to change the subject. He knows enough now to recognize that the separation from the Celestial Menagerie was a painful one, and the quick subject change is an obvious move.

He strums a C chord on his lute. "It's called 'The Fishmonger's Daughter', and it's a bit naughty." he introduces the song, then begins to sing.

The Fishmonger's Daughter:
Oh fishmonger, oh fishmonger,
Come quell your daughter's hunger
To pull on my horn
As it rises in the morn
For 'tis naught but bad luck
To f*!# with a puck
Lest your grandkid be born
A hairy young faun
Bleating and braying all day, hey ho
The fishmonger's daughter, ba ba
The fishmonger's daughter, ba ba
The fishmonger's daughter, ba ba
The fishmonger's daughter, ba ba ba!

As he plays, he stands up. Within moments he's dancing and gyrating about, encouraging the others to clap or stomp their feet in time to the music!

The song sounds exactly like THIS SONG


CG Male Poppet Familiar (HP 25/25), AC 20, Perception +9, Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10 Speed 25| Active conditions —

”He wants us to keep our dinners down and then sings that song? Is he takin’ a piss?”


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

”Shut up Hermann. It kept a lively beat.”


CG Male Poppet Familiar (HP 25/25), AC 20, Perception +9, Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10 Speed 25| Active conditions —

”It wasn’t the beat I was takin’ issue with.”


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Thunder gets up from the fire with a chuckle, "Make sure you get a solid night of sleep. We've got a big show in Abberton tomorrow. I've got to plan the acts. Gotta get it just right to really nail it."

With that he heads to his wagon, whistling Dendillion's tune the whole way.


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

"W..w...will do Boss." Charlie calls back to 'Thunder'. He stretches and tosses the rest of his drink into the fire. The flames leap up as the alcohol strikes the logs. he goes to check in on Goliath before heading to find his bed. Hoping the big guy will be up to par for the show tomorrow.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Tiny smiles to his companions, his normal tight and bright performance rubbery clothes replaced by a simple grey tunic and drawstring pants.

"How long did you say to roast this?" asks Tiny as he holds some sort of large tubor over the fire with a long stick.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

Dendillion blinks at Tiny. "I'd err on the side of overcooked. Maybe until you got some blackened bits? I'm sorry, I'm not the cook."


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Tiny shrugs "Suppose you're right, last time I tried to eat that raw potato I almost lost a tooth." Tiny smiles and points towards a half rotten tooth towards the side of his mouth.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

He tries not to grimace at the sight of Tiny's dead tooth. "Everything is better cooked. Our Lady of Flame agrees, I'm sure. Right, Chark?"


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Charlie peeks into the cart and finds Goliath fast asleep, bandages wrapped around the smaller bears paws. Looking past he hears Dendellion's songs continue through the night.

We'll be ready for the show tomorrow. We can stay up a little longer.

He heads back to the campfire as more of the crew shows up, grabbing his cup he refills it. "Goliath is out."


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2
Dendillion wrote:
"Everything is better cooked. Our Lady of Flame agrees, I'm sure. Right, Chark?"

Nearly all, yes. Roasted, baked, fried, seared...

With a smile she nods to Charlie. Sleep will help him heal, she says, handing the hunter one of Tiny's smaller potatoes. And we could all use some tonight.


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

"Hey boss-man, do you have the line up of who is going to be in the show tomorrow night? I'm working on this new trick called Fantasia which involves these brooms... I mean, I'm still perfecting The Rabbit Prince, so that's good to go too. I could also aid Mordaine if she'd like my help again. You name it boss, and I'm in. Anything to get the notice of The 52."


CG Male Poppet Familiar (HP 25/25), AC 20, Perception +9, Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10 Speed 25| Active conditions —

Hopping onto his shoulder and whispering in his ear."Take it down a notch mate. There's enthusiasm and then there's desperation. This ain't a good smell on you."


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

Haldan bows, hat in hand and catching Hermann with his hat, and then places it back on his head. Heading off to bed, compulsively shuffling and juggling cards on the way.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

The Extinction Curse
Book I: The Show Must Go On
Chapter I: Murder in the Center Ring
04 Calistril 4720

The Circus of Wayward Wonders performs in an enormous tent capable of holding hundreds of people—and that’s a good thing, as it seems the entire population of Abberton has turned out for the show. Many of the town’s most prominent citizens, including the mayor, are among the throng jostling for seats, peering at the three rings that fill the center of the tent, and waiting excitedly for the show to begin.

As the lights go down and the audience settles onto their seats, the circus's performers take their places backstage, awaiting their cues. Suddenly, several of the performers closest to the curtain that separates the three rings from the rest of the tent leave their assignments, gathering in a small crowd to exchange frightened whispers and hushed gasps. Amid the group, his body contorted as if caught forever in the throes of terrible pain, is the corpse of ringmaster Myron “Thunder” Stendhal. Everyone in the circus knew Myron for his amazing, powerful voice that could bring instant silence to the largest crowd, and he knew everything there is to know about putting on a successful performance. Now he’s dead, but the crowd is still out there, and they’re expecting a show!

As the other performers stare at the corpse, whisper to each other, and anxiously peer around the curtain, the Professor—a thin and frail veteran of the circus—covers the body with a sheet and looks around. “Well, what are you all standing around for?” he asks, his weak voice barely audible in the hushed silence. “Have you seen that crowd? We haven’t ever had the tent packed this full. There’s a show to put on, and we have to find a way to do it. So finish your makeup, get into your costumes, and send in the clowns!”

Quick to follow the Professor’s advice, the circus’s clowns immediately bound through the curtain and into the three rings. The cheers of the crowd are thunderous. This buys time for the Professor to approach you. "Everyone else just stared at me in shock, but you're all different. You.... there's something different about you. I implore you to take charge of the show. While many of the circus performers know their jobs and don’t need to be told what to do, there are still several important decisions to be made before the opening curtain. The order of circus acts isn’t yet set and many of the circus’s most talented performers look too stunned by Myron’s death to go on. It is up to you to ensure the performance is one the audience will never forget."

The show is mostly handled already. You're going into this with a Prestige of 1 and Anticipation of 15. The remaining task, which falls to you, is to decide how to arrange seven different tricks in the circus’s four acts: one trick for the opener in the center ring, two tricks for the build-up in the side rings, one trick for the big number in the center ring, and three tricks for the finale in all three rings. Only six NPC tricks are ready to perform; thus, at least one of you must perform a signature trick, but multiple heroes can perform signature tricks if the group wishes to use fewer NPC tricks.

Circus Program!:

Opener in the center ring: TBD
Build up in left ring: TBD
Build up in right ring: TBD
Big number in the center ring: TBD
Left ring Finale: TBD
Right ring Finale: TBD
Center ring Finale: TBD


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Chark motions to Dendillion. This is your stage now, killer, she says, stooping over the body.
Medicine: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Anything she learns she will keep to herself for now.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Chark:

There's little opportunity to examine the body as the show is literally about to go on. The short glimpse you manage tells you that it wasn't bloody, whatever it is. Keep this result for later when you have more time.

Circus Program!:

Opener in the center ring: TBD

Build up in left ring: TBD
Build up in right ring: TBD

Big number in the center ring: TBD

Left ring Finale: TBD
Right ring Finale: TBD
Center ring Finale: TBD


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Tiny links his fingers and stretches his arms and palms forward "Chark is right, you're on Dendillion. The left ring has always been better for jumping, I'll open for my flying Flying 'brothers'"

Proposed Circus Program:

Opener in the center ring: Dendilion
Build up in left ring: "Tiny"
Build up in right ring: TBD

Big number in the center ring: TBD

Left ring Finale: Dwarven Throwers.
Right ring Finale: TBD
Center ring Finale: TBD


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

With Chark and Tiny's input so far:

Program thus far:

Opener in the center ring: Dendillion or Flamboni Sisters

Build up in left ring: "Tiny" x2
Build up in right ring: Mordaine

Big number in the center ring: Mumbling Charlie

Left ring Finale: Dwarven Throwers
Right ring Finale: Axel or Haldan
Center ring Finale: Feather Fall Five


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

GM:
Not seeing a stab or similar is a good enough result for now, sure.


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Program looks good to me.

Charlie stares down at Thunder's body, sadness streaks his face. "M..m..maybe his heart gave out?" Charlie looks to the Professor. "W...w...we gunna have to move him before Goliath comes through. He d..d..d..don't know no better."


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

"Right. Well as they say, 'the show must go on'. Let's get the order sorted, and then I'll get out there to kick the show off."

After a momentary pause, he says, "Let's start with the Flamboni Sisters. Open it up with some flash, get their attention. From there, Tiny does his act on the left, Mordaine on the right, and Charlie... You're front and centre. That's a good build up for the finale, with Haldan on the left, the Dwarven Throwers on the right, and the Feather Fall Five centre stage. Good? Good. I'll go let everyone know."

After he spreads the word about the order of things, he waits and lets the anticipation in the audience build. Timing it just right, he steps into the fore wearing his performing attire. The clothing is well-made, the fabrics colorful and expensive. He's suitably dressed to meet Taldan nobility. But today he is in Abberton. The bard takes a deep breath.

"People of Abberton," Dendillion's voice booms. The smile on his face masks the momentary feeling of being an imposter, that Thunder should be here. "I am the Dendillion, your master of ceremonies for this grand event. We, the Circus of Wayward Wonders, have arrayed for you a series of spectacles that will Blow. Your. Minds." the last three words are delivered with weighty pauses. "You will see feats of athleticism that exist nowhere else in Golarion! You will be witness to the impossible! And, well... You'll have a good laugh or two as well. Shall we?"

He doesn't wait long before he introduces the opening act. "To start us off I would like to introduce you to two brave, juggling sisters. Can they juggle fire? Will they set themselves on fire? Let's find out. Ladies and gentlemen, the Flamboni Sisters!"


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

Haldan, pacing around backstage, comes from around the corner wiping his chin with his handkerchief.
"I can't believe he's gone... Dendillion is correct though, the show must go on. That is our way. Wait, I'm performing tonight..."
Haldan disappears from around the corner again.


CG Male Poppet Familiar (HP 25/25), AC 20, Perception +9, Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10 Speed 25| Active conditions —

"Come on, mate. Act like you been here before."


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

The Flamboni Sisters take to the ring ready to go!

Opener:
Trick 1: The Flamboni Sisters
Action 1: deception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

The crowd is astounded! The show gains 1 excitement!

Unfortunately not all is well. A trio of mean-spirited gamblers are moving through the crowd, loudly offering bets on various calamities. They provoke the crowd, asking questions that inspire fear or panic: Will one of the Feather-Fall Five fall to their death? What are the odds on each family member to die? Will Mordaine the Magician drown in the water tank? Will Mister Tickles eat someone? These gamblers are plainly bothering other members of the audience with their noisy jeers.

It looks like the crowd is currently engaged in the Flamboni sisters. There's an opening to shoe away these gamblers. Take any social approach. Anyone can act. For the moment, this is technically "exploration mode" unless someone wants this to be "encounter mode."

Chark: Go
Charlie: Go
Dendillion: Go
Haldan: Go
Tiny: Go


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

With the opening act in full swing, Dendillion uses the time to mingle in the crowd, welcoming people and shaking hands. When he spots the gambling element, he tries a tactful approach. "Come now, we run a safe show for our performers. If you want to see people harmed there are other shows that you can wager on. Now, I ask that you please stop disturbing the audience."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

The gamblers seem annoyed by Dendillion's request, but they comply. "Fine. Whatever man. Just tryin' ta have a bit o'fun. Ya know?"

Dendillion keeps his eye on them as he returns to the ring. They continue to trade money back and forth, but at least now it's only between themselves.

For adroitly handling the troublesome gamblers, the party earns 60 XP.

Tiny takes his spot in the left ring and Mordaine... Mordaine. Where in Cayden's Codpiece is Mordaine? Mordaine's assistant Hod runs up to you. "So.... we have a bit of a predictable problem. Mordaine doesn't... well... she's a bit insulted that she's part of the build up, and not the Big Number. She um.... might take some coaxing."

All your eyes turn to her. She's off to the side, standing in a huff and shaking her head.

Current totals:
Completed Stage(s): Opener
Anticipation: 15
Excitement: 1


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

Feeling like he's going from fire to fire, Dendillion makes his way over to Mordaine. Did Thunder always have to do this?

"Mordaine, my dearest! You look lovely today! That's not a new outfit, is it? Simply ravishing!" The interim ringmaster fawns over the magician. "I couldn't help but notice that you don't seem to be, uhm, thrilled at the moment. But please, allow me to explain. See, I decided to move you up because well, honestly, we really need this night to go well. Tiny and Charlie have great signature tricks, no doubt, bit we need you at the center of that to really make the night work. Only a really strong act like yours would do, else we could see people leaving before the finale! It'd be a tragedy, and honestly if we'd had you in the finale with a lighter audience... that'd be a tragedy atop a tragedy!"

He moves to place a hand on her shoulder and looks directly into her eyes. "This will be good experience for Tiny and Charlie, I think. And once they've got that experience I think we'll be able to shuffle things back for the next show. But this, right here, is why you're so important to the Circus of Wayward Wonders." And with a big grin he adds, "Also, did I tell you that you look beautiful? If not, shame on me!"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Good thing we start with a Hero Point, because I'm using it.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Mordaine's expression changes. The gushing praise heaped upon her clearly works. She snaps her fingers and Hod appears as if by magic. With a smile she adds, "Fine. I shall save your show as only Mordaine can!" For convincing the diva to take her slot, each hero earns 10 XP.

She takes her ring to wild applause! It's a risky trick, but she is dropped into the water and Thievery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17 escapes to even wilder applause!

In the left ring, Tiny is up!

Current totals:
Completed Stage(s): Opener, Build up 1 of 2
Anticipation: 15
Excitement: 2


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Charlie smiles at Dendillion. "Good job. You're a natural at this." He turns back to preparing Goliath for the show as he unwraps the bandages. "You r....r..ready for this pal?" Charlie grabs his whip and shield setting them nearby as his bright and flashy show clothes now sparkle in the light.

He peeks back through the curtain to watch Tiny's act.


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Several burly haulers with great effort drag out a low cart with dark rock.

Tiny limbers up one last time, stretching his tight fitting outfit out of his buttox before steeping out onto the stage.

Tiny flexes, his gleaming lightning bracers sparkling in the show lights.

Stomping up the latter to one of the higher platforms to growing fanfare Tiny flexes one last time, stomps each foot on the platform before leaping off the platform in a forward somersault.

acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Tiny comes crashing down to earth, shattering the "rock," creating a great cloud of dust and debris.

The music and fanfare stops, all lights on the debris as things go silent for a moment. As the dust clears where there was once a "rock" now Tiny stands strong and triumphant.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

The crowd loves both shows! Despite your tragedy behind the scenes, the crowd is loving your selections. Children (and a few dwarves) in the crowd mimic Tiny's triumphant posture. +1 already counted for Mordaine, +1 for Tiny, and a +1 streak bonus for the unique circumstances. Additionally, for nailing his debut, Tiny earns the party 30 XP, and he earns himself 1 Hero Point. Retcon, I should have also awarded Dendillion 1 Hero Point for handling the gamblers.

After the roars, all eyes turn towards the center ring. The ring is empty though. Then, suddenly a clown runs through, then two, then three. Then they're in the crowd! That's when Dendillion announces the Clown Hunter!

The crowd cheers! But soon you notice there's a section screaming, not cheering. Cries of "Snake! Snake!" bubble to the surface. You all look around for Eliza, but her and Mr. Tickles are back stage. Looking over you can see that there is a trio of vipers trying to find their way out. The crowd's reaction isn't helping. Whoever tries to handle this, tell me if you're trying to handle the snakes or the crowd. Anyone, including Mumbling Charlie can handle this (as he's in the stands anyway.) No matter what though Charlie needs to also attempt his trick.

Current totals:
Completed Stage(s): Opener, Build Up
Anticipation: 15
Excitement: 4


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 23 | Fort +10, Refl +14, Will +11 | Perc +11 | Speed 25
♥️ 55/68 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3)

"Quick, someone take care of those snakes! I'll do what I can with the crowd!" Dendillion whispers sharply, so the others hear but not the crowd.

He then turns his attention to the crowd, "Oh my! The clowns are loose! We've got just the right hunter for this, and for any other pests that come about too!" Dendillion drifts a bit closer to the crowd, and to where the clowns are running about. He then breaks into a distracting tale. "Why, just the other day my Auntie Gertrude came about, pestering me about marriage! Can you believe it? I, Dendillion, the most eligible bachelor this side of Avistan? She then- Oh my!" He stops abruptly when a clown runs nearby and, with exaggerated fright, comically runs about as if being chased.

Performance (or Diplomacy? Same modifier): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Well, thanks for that Hero Point. I'm using it
Performance (or Diplomacy? Same modifier): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Dendillion continues his perfect streak as ringmaster, getting the crowd to part like the Fever Sea! The crowd loves it, assuming its part of the show. A couple of women steal kisses, while others claim that Dendillion "LOOKED RIGHT AT ME!"

For shoeing the snakes, the party earns 60 XP and Dendillion regains 1 Hero Point. For the critical success, Mumbling Charlie gains a +1 circumstance bonus to his trick as the clowns start moving around with balloon animals.

Charlie: Go

Current totals:
Completed Stage(s): Opener, Build Up
Anticipation: 10 Changed per paizo.com forum discussion.
Excitement: 4


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

The clowns begin moving around the arena, completely distracted by the viper situation. One by one they are either snagged by a whip slipping around their arms and waist or strung up by a snare as they are quietly dispatched in comical manners.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Just as one of the clowns is set to pounce on Charlie as he ducks from obstacle to obstacle a small bear leaps out from backstage and tackles the clown. The announcer shouts in surprise as if this was not part of the act. Charlie loosens his whip and raises his shield in front of him for protection. Giving the whips a few good cracks Charlie leads the small bear into a trap of it's own as a cage of bars lifts around the pair of them, trapping them both within just as the curtain comes down.

1 to 50 of 3,520 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dungeon Master S's "The Extinction Curse" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.