To Live in Infamy - a Skull and Shackles AP

Game Master Nayr Trebrot

Plunder, Infamy, and Disrepute
Plunder - 4; Infamy - 3; Disrepute - 1
Tracking page
Ship combat
The Shackles
Ricketys Squibs
Combat Map
Captain Pegsworthy


3,201 to 3,231 of 3,231 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>

Shanael looks down at her slim hand, then takes the back of it and runs it along Sunyata's calloused one. The woman's soft skin was a complete contrast to that of the hardened pirate.

That's information that is dangerous to let float about, my dear. I'm afraid that's a fairly heavy risk for someone as simple, and vulnerable as me.

Her eyes flash, and you see that for the lie that it is.

I can help, but I would need to be taken care of, should I have to flee Quent under Redsail's wrath. For twenty gold, I can tell you what I know.

Assuming you pay her...

Captain Redsail, I know of, though he's typically seen with his skin under cover. He's a mysterious one, not known for even coming off of his flagship unless absolutely needed. And, what a sight that ship is to behold! Called "Bloodcutter", his ship has catapults, balistae, and some giant rolling cannon that spits fire! He usually came with two other ships, which were his escort - a paranoid one, some say.

I've heard that Redsail is going to make a try to become a Free Captain, by winning the Regatta that's coming up. What did you want to know about him?


The boy grins, then holds out his hand. Sounds like ya' got yerself a carpenter. Wynn's the name. When do we leave?

Well done


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush is visibly excited about the boy joining. Something about getting their own ballistae is very appealing to him. Soon enough boy. Soon enough. First, however, I'd like to introduce you to the captain. Rush gestures over to Tap's drunk form, slumped in the corner. And to you first job. Help me carry your commanding officer back to the ship.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
GM Nayr wrote:

Shanael looks down at her slim hand, then takes the back of it and runs it along Sunyata's calloused one. The woman's soft skin was a complete contrast to that of the hardened pirate.

That's information that is dangerous to let float about, my dear. I'm afraid that's a fairly heavy risk for someone as simple, and vulnerable as me.
Her eyes flash, and you see that for the lie that it is.
I can help, but I would need to be taken care of, should I have to flee Quent under Redsail's wrath. For twenty gold, I can tell you what I know.
Assuming you pay her...
Captain Redsail, I know of, though he's typically seen with his skin under cover. He's a mysterious one, not known for even coming off of his flagship unless absolutely needed. And, what a sight that ship is to behold! Called "Bloodcutter", his ship has catapults, balistae, and some giant rolling cannon that spits fire! He usually came with two other ships, which were his escort - a paranoid one, some say.
I've heard that Redsail is going to make a try to become a Free Captain, by winning the Regatta that's coming up. What did you want to know about him?

Sunyata's immobile features are very hard to read, nearly inscrutable, her pale shock of silver hair against a glimmering silver skin... She looks at Shanael in a way that might be strangely piercing to some, especially if they've never been exposed or were not not accustomed to her people. Her people's gaze could be particularly intense, as if her violet eyes could pierce the veil of illusion, there was a reason her kind was almost eerie when they fixed their their gaze on something/someone.

She notes Shanael shows no discomfort at her implication of Redsail's skin, noting she knows little of him personally, meaning she hasn't bedded him. Sunyata knows well that he covers it, most warriors of stealth do. She was framing the question to checkmate Shanael to reveal if she knows anything more. Shanael clearly has some experience with her kind, she showed none of the typical discomforts people showed in her presence. That didn't just come from being a practiced wench. Her people's glimmering delicate beauty with their forceful impressive physical builds always caught the eye of other races.

Shanael, Shanael... you sure know how to draw out information to make it seem like a lot more than it really is for a pretty coin...

Sunyata knows how utterly private Redsail is, all too painfully. But she also know Shanael was testing her to see how much she could get out of her. .. hah! this one is about as vulnerable as a quietly raging sea... Well done Shaenael, well done! Good on you to get ahead in life however you can.
This was the clue, Sunyata was hoping for. Shanael told her much more than she realized... not only admitted she knew of the captain's actual whereabouts but basically confirmed he didn't frequent this place by giving her rumors she might have picked up from other sailors who talked about Redsail. This part genuinely surprised her. The Redsail she remembers was a violent aggressive viril male who was not shy to steer away from brothels... what changed?

Shanael was as fine as any polished beauty one could craft together, well-spoken, teeth were perfect, her skin was soft and inviting, she was almost too pretty to be in a brothel, she had some class to her. She had an elegance. If she wasn't so totally calculated and practice Sunyata might have even felt drawn to her, but this kind of woman tended to be rather transparent to Sunyata who was well aware of the quiet desperation that led this life.
This is exactly the kind of place the Redsail I know would find for a woman much like this one. What gives?
Sunyata's curiosity was piqued ... something didn't add up here.

Sunyata felt a sinking feeling in her gut as she thought all this in split second, she would probably have to go to Redsail in one form or another... she started quickly calculating how she might get close to him... how would she get near him without him recognizing her? She could cover her face and go all sevratke which was the exact attire for formal monks who covered their entire body except the eyes. It required full head cover, and the body was completely concealed in comfortable black or dark attire, she had one with her, and could probably get another made. Since leaving the temple, she tried to blend in as a pirate and wore more pirate-like heavy clothes, she was a little different from her peers who preferred all sorts of armor, she needed her body to breathe in combat. Her face was now exposed all the time, her own crew might get a few giggles out of her showing up all shrouded in full sevratke gear, but she would certainly look much more impressive in her full height and stance with her elf-like beauty. She weighed being seen versus being concealed. Concealed she could try to enter the ranks for the regatta Redsail was trying to win...

She nodded to Shanael Have any of the girls entertained any of Redsail's crew here? I can see you're slightly nervous about talking about him. I could get you passage off Quent if things got hot, for a price of course." She softened just as calculated as Shanael and pulled Shanael into her powerful body and softly said with her cheek against Shanael's [b]I'd like to know how to get closer to him, I want to know him. as she did this, she pushed the money purse on her belt against Shanael's body, who could feel it was full of coins, and squeezed Shanael slightly as to impose her physique on hers. It always worked.

She wanted to know how the captain managed his crew, if they came to the brothel, if they didn't, this would say a lot about the kind of crew he had and how disciplined they were.

Sunyata was so aware that she was not popular with people that she learned her lack of charm actually was perceived often as a kind of masculinity and women felt her as "strong" where in reality she lacked social finesse. It often worked in her favor with girls like Shanael who polished their charm to oozing sensuality. As she was the exact opposite, often it worked in her favor when she was trying to get information from women like this... they could be almost attracted to her fierce quality, and tended to want to please her. She learned this growing up in the brothels, and strangely this one was environment she knew how to manage with skill without being a wench herself.

I'm almost a real pirate ha ha

She needed to know more. She decided to go full sevratke as a formal disciple of her religion... Quent was big and varied enough there was all sorts of races milling about the place, she probably wouldn't attract that much attention. She decided after Shanael, she would find a way to get close to the crew. She needed to know his weaknesses before striking.

She also thought of how to manage this with the crew that had grown on her. She'd been alone so long, it was nice to have a crew she felt wasn't out to kill her.


Wynn eyes up Taptap, then shrugs with a sigh. He must have some wiry muscles under the baggy clothes, for he hefts up the captain's weight and follows behind his new bosses.

Back to the ship then? Anything else you want to do? If not, lets work out the $$ and goods in the discussion thread so you can move on.


Shanael sighs deeply as she melts into your arms with a deep kiss. She pulls back slightly, then takes her turn at whispering back, her breath heavy with passion. She notably doesn't bother to check the pouch's weight, but deftly slides it into her nearly non-existent robe.

The Smoker...a town named Plumetown. It's a volcanic isle of prophets, and also his base of operations. Very, very few know of that place...and good cover for the good captain, as the only people who ever want to go there want to hear their future from the oracles - the hags known as Keeba's Eyes.

You get the feeling that, if true, this information would be worth Shanael's life

The young woman caresses the skin of your cheek and looks into your eyes, perhaps gauging your reaction to such information.


GM Nayr wrote:

Shanael sighs deeply as she melts into your arms with a deep kiss. She pulls back slightly, then takes her turn at whispering back, her breath heavy with passion. She notably doesn't bother to check the pouch's weight, but deftly slides it into her nearly non-existent robe.

The Smoker...a town named Plumetown. It's a volcanic isle of prophets, and also his base of operations. Very, very few know of that place...and good cover for the good captain, as the only people who ever want to go there want to hear their future from the oracles - the hags known as Keeba's Eyes.

You get the feeling that, if true, this information would be worth Shanael's life

The young woman caresses the skin of your cheek and looks into your eyes, perhaps gauging your reaction to such information.

When Shanael kisses Sunyata she feels Shanael's energetic imprint, something she's always been able to feel due to her psionic sensitivities, allowing her to feel the emotional textures of a person. She recognizes Shanael suffered a great deal to be as practiced as she is and under all that armor of charm, she is just a girl wishing for something or someone to take her from this life of constant stress and whimsical male desire. Sunyata can feel her need for security and feels how she became hardened with life and jaded with experience.

As Shanael studies her for her reaction to her words, she scrutinizes Shanael's face her for a moment to sense if she's lying. Sunyata recognizes that, if true, Shanael could be giving her a big clue that could indeed cost her her life and she feels instinctively protective towards the girl.

She breaks the silence with her inscrutable expression but her eyes are intensely studying the gal, her voice comes out much rougher than she intended, and definitely with a bit of a gruff edge, What do you stand to gain from this life, girl? She watches Shanael brush off the question as if not wanting to think of it... she adds with a very serious tone, If what you say is true, and I've yet to determine if it is... she pauses as if contemplating a deep thought and adds the ole bastard's about the hags! No wonder he ain't coming here!

She delivers the joke so deadpan, she's proud of the fact that she actually sounds funny, and feels validated when the chuckle coming from Shanael confirms she finally got the delivery of ONE joke, and there was ONE person at least to witness it!

She notes suddenly that beyond the obvious beauty, Shanael is a woman who is never naked even when her clothes are off. And of course, Shanael seems to know perfectly well what the cost of her information is worth as she DID TAKE the whole purse. Ahh Shanael, I like your style, you got guts, that's for sure. You're a smart cookie you are.

Sunyata adds a few coins on Shanael's nightstand, Thank you, you are quite the beauty, and it's been an honor doing business.

The interaction gives things a twist she hadn't expected and she feels awkward leaving just like that, like any John or Jane... like they shared a moment... she feels pushed by a need to offer something to the girl, sensing she could even be in danger for some reason... so she adds hastily, albeit genuinely (surprising herself even), If yer ever in need, find this ship she scrawls out the name of the ship on a scrap of paper Ask for Sunyata. I owe ye thanks as you've given me hope again. Be well.

She abruptly turns to leave for the door, her mind way ahead of her racing on what her next steps will be to track down that dog and make him pay.


Shanael looks at the coins and smiles, her gaze somewhat distant. She turns back to Sunyata and dips her head low in a small bow. Thank you, I just may. For now, I hope that you find what you're looking for. If you return to Quent, look me up, okay?

What next everyone?


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4
GM Nayr wrote:

Shanael looks at the coins and smiles, her gaze somewhat distant. She turns back to Sunyata and dips her head low in a small bow. Thank you, I just may. For now, I hope that you find what you're looking for. If you return to Quent, look me up, okay?

What next everyone?

Really need to figure out this whole loot situation.

After that, I'd recommend The Rock.


More than a few times while in Quent, you hear a name whispered in the dark. Once spoke, the speaker looks about in concern, as if he'd just drawn down the ire of this fell beast upon himself.

The Deathknell...a ship of ghosts and creatures of the night, captained by a terrifying man named Master Scourge. The ship is rumored to be able to sink down into the deep and resurface, often to catch sailors unawares and add to its undead crew.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Ha! A ghost with no balls!


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Oh goody. I get to kill Scourge again.


GM Nayr wrote:

More than a few times while in Quent, you hear a name whispered in the dark. Once spoke, the speaker looks about in concern, as if he'd just drawn down the ire of this fell beast upon himself.

The Deathknell...a ship of ghosts and creatures of the night, captained by a terrifying man named Master Scourge. The ship is rumored to be able to sink down into the deep and resurface, often to catch sailors unawares and add to its undead crew.

During a downtime moment when the group is altogether Sunyata brings up the rumor. I heard about this Deathknell, got the town real spooked, the wenches at the tavern last night are crossing their hearts to stave off the bad luck! Y'all heard of this before? Sounds strange that it can sink and resurface... it must be some kind of cursed or enchanted ship.

She attempts to figure out if this is something the crew should worry about.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack pulls out a pair of shackles of rusty iron, and holds them up. I took these off of the dead corpse of Scourge, who I killed myself. After I stuffed his mouth with his own ball-sack. Whoever the captain is of that ship, if it exists, its not Scourge.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Unless he is risen from the dead. In which case, fun.


xeyed-jack wrote:
Jack pulls out a pair of shackles of rusty iron, and holds them up. I took these off of the dead corpse of Scourge, who I killed myself. After I stuffed his mouth with his own ball-sack. Whoever the captain is of that ship, if it exists, its not Scourge.

Sunyata chortles in a way that seems like her best attempt at a natural reaction of humor, but sounds like it went through too many filters of overthinking and comes out slightly eerie, something the crew is already accustomed to.

that's intense Jack. He musta really pissed you off. she looks at TapTap and adds that would mean it could be an undead pirate ship... this bodes ill.

Then she asks more generally, attempting to seem real casual, but just sounds overly deadpan. Has anyone heard of Plumetown?


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

GM, any checks to be made on Plumetown? Rush has traveled for a while, but it's not tied to his backstory.

An undead crew would explain the whole needing to breath while the ship is underwater.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

More likely someone has laid claim to his fame. Though why, beats me. The ship is interesting though. I've never heard of one sailing under water. What would propel it? Some kind of magic? A team of dolphins?

Jack shakes his head.

I call it nonsense.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Shouldn't have cut his balls Jack-o. He wants them back so poor Scourgy-poo can get some rest... Tap lets his voice fade, remembering the barbs of that man's whips.
In any case, we do have that map we secured from the Captain we escorted into this port. Sounds like easy loot, if there was any truth to it.


Everyone is aware of this:

Plumetown - a town on a volcanic isle of prophets called The Smoker. Very, very few know of that place, as the only people who ever want to go there want to hear their future from the oracles - the hags known as Keeba's Eyes.

Feel free to try a knowledge local roll for more.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

No K(Local) for Rush to try.

What is the plan, then? Give the crew a few days shore leave and wait for Jack's item? Then see if we can have a sea-side chat with the owner of the Rock?


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Once a day reroll
local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

I dont know much


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

knowledge local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
I think I may have heard something about this place.


Tap doesn't know much of this island, but Jack knows of the de facto mayor of the twon - one Willa Cloudbuster, a retired sailor who uses a small army of club-wielding deputized constables to keep the peace.

The town is little more than a tourist town, set up for those traveling to the island. Thus, it mostly consists of taverns, hostels, gaming houses, and brothels.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4
GM Nayr wrote:

Tap doesn't know much of this island, but Jack knows of the de facto mayor of the twon - one Willa Cloudbuster, a retired sailor who uses a small army of club-wielding deputized constables to keep the peace.

The town is little more than a tourist town, set up for those traveling to the island. Thus, it mostly consists of taverns, hostels, gaming houses, and brothels.

Lots of visitors? Few permanent residents? Sounds like a great place to hide....


Where to, everyone?


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack and the crew sit about a table in a dark corner of the Broken Neck, a tavern selling hot fish pie and warm beer. Finishing his pie, Jack settles back into his chair to light up some of the last of the smoke weed he found on the squibber's isle.

Well, I won't lie. I'm no country mouse, to chew on straw; this stay in Quent suits me well. Still, I think it is time we see to business. We've a debt to pay to Ricketty, and best we stay in the man's graces. Besides, Captain's right. We need a battering ram fitted. After that... well I suppose we could go and pay the lady in that lonely tower a visit, though I somehow doubt our newest crew member will be too happy about it. Nothing for it. But then again, maybe she'd be willing to listen to a business proposition. Besides, my gut says that she's biding her time till she can avenge herself upon that son of manatee who we once had to call captain.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

After our purchases are done, we will sail back to Rickety's. Perhaps on our way back, if it is on our way, we can check in on that map the captain of that tub gave us...the one indicating a crashed vessel we may plunder.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

We need gear for an underwater adventure. Water breathing potions, or a scroll of air bubble, or something similar. Invisibility might not be too bad either. I remember that eel fight.

Jack shakes his head grimly.

Would have been better it just swim on by


Wynn takes to his duties on the ship with practiced ease, spending the majority of his first few days getting the feel of it and spreading his name among the crew. By the second day, though, he had taken a look at his new project and was obviously eager to get it up and running.

After the prescribed wait for your new gear, you close up this surprisingly uneventful trip to Quent and set out on your way. You have to return the dockmaster's flag...just assuming you do that, but if not let me know. There would be consequences, of course.

Once out to sea again, the open air and warm sun fills your first day, and you head to the northeast, preparing to go back to Rickety's for refitting. By the end of the first day, though, your lookout spots a ship on the horizon to the west. By the next morning, it's looming closer.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Just so everyone knows, if it comes to needing to take some deep dives, Rush has a potion of touch of the sea, two scrolls of air bubble, and fully charged wand of air bubble.

3,201 to 3,231 of 3,231 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / To Live in Infamy - a Skull and Shackles AP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.