To Live in Infamy - a Skull and Shackles AP

Game Master Nayr Trebrot

Plunder, Infamy, and Disrepute
Plunder - 4; Infamy - 3; Disrepute - 1
Tracking page
Ship combat
The Shackles
Ricketys Squibs
Combat Map
Captain Pegsworthy


3,151 to 3,200 of 3,231 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>

Jack does not recognize any of the docked ships in the line; some seem to be pretty rough excuses for actual ships, while others are large galleons. The Wormwood is not present, thankfully.

You gain a spot easily enough, and drop anchor.

It's just after midday. What do you want to do? We can wait for Tap's return if you like. We can keep this as simple or as involved as you want. I don't have any maps or detailed info for Quent, so I'm making it up as I go, but I'm game. Or, you can just make rolls for infamy, sell your goods, roll to track down crew, and be on your way.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Tap wakes up from a nap and yawns. Let's take stock of our booty, and see what we want to sell.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

There's two things that Rush would want to accomplish.
1) New gear.
2) Someone who can fix the ballista and serve as the ships carpenter.


Sunyata:

GM Nayr wrote:

Well, that he's not be trifled with, for one. He sighs. But I guess yer knowin' that much. See Cap'n Redsail is owner of a fleet now. He's got the council's backing fer all his ships, and from what I hear may even make a run at becomin' a Free Captain. That's the kinda' weight not a one of us can tussle with right now, girl.

He pauses, brow furrowed, then says, more softly. What's he to you...friend, family?

Sunyata let's the silence fill the space for a long moment. He's very famous among my people.

She bows slightly as if that said everything, and leaves.


Sunyata also lined up for the docks right behind Rush, and beelined for the Calistria prostis. It's time to go get some information. Who's going wench hunting... We going wenchhuntin'

Sunyata knows all too well the ins and outs of brothels and their workers. Entire underground networks of information flow...


Any juicy bits Sunyata might find out do I roll?


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Taptap snorts himself awake in the pub stall. A captain! Ha. What a farce of a dream. Takes a long drought from his mug and lets himself slumber some more.


You make your way into the dock streets of Quent, finding that the busy streets of the small city are just as welcoming, and dangerous, as you'd expect from a pirate city. The dockmaster is all business, but soon you are checked in and finding your way through the city.

For information gathering, let me know what info for which you're looking, and roll the appropriate check - typically diplomacy, intimidate, or bluff, and whether you're greasing the wheels with some coin.

For plunder and infamy, review the rules in the attachment above and let me know what you'd like to do. You'll need a full day for them, and some appropriate rolls


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack and his companions made it to shore, intent on selling their plunder quickly, and quietly. Quent was as large a port as they would likely see in a while, and Jack enjoyed the smells and sounds of the port town. He grabbed a pork pie for a few coppers, and wolfed it down hungrily. Real food!

Jack was uncertain whether or not taking the port master's advice was wise, or not. Might be a trap.

knowledge: 1d20 ⇒ 19 Is the ruler of Quent on good terms with Harrigan?

Soon, they came to a place that seemed likely enough. Tap cordially invited a richly robed merchant to share some wine and discuss business. Jack follows the short little merchant, and his gangly son, into the wine house.

We have just arrived in port, with a hold full of plunder. We've good fish in abundance, but also rich cloth, wine, fine armor and swords too.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Sunyata goes to the famous Calistria's House of Stolen Kisses for "a drink"... when she arrives, she scopes out the atmosphere, and sits to study the place, who's coming and going, who the madame is, and what the girls working there are like. She looks for who might be most likely to be a talker with a little coin incentive...


Jack finds that the mention of Harrigan brings out many reactions, from one spitting on the floor to sneering to outward curses. It seems he is not well liked. Tessa Fairwind on the other hand, is revered, and she does not seem to be a fan of Harrigan. Both are free captains, but Tessa feels that Harrigan has some hidden scheme she doesn't know of. She doesn't trust him at all.


The merchant seems moderately impressed by the weapons, but makes a passing motion with a bejeweled hand.

By rule, that's 90 percent for selling in a large city, plus 10 percent for a successful diplomacy check, so...face value. You can sell a point of plunder for 1K gold.


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Diplomacy Aid (if Allowed): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack congratulates his comrades. Well done. Big Belliot, I think, can see to it that the transaction gets done, proper from here. He's asked me to look out for a new set of sandals for him. In the meanwhile, I think that its time to sell that shiny plate mail, those fancy clothes, and like.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

Tap drunk and delirious wanders onto the wrong boat, interrupting the tryst between the wrinkly man and a pox marked baker. Tap yells for them to get off his boat,chasing them across the deck, tripping then falling into the bay. Tap comes to an hour later, clinging to a pole, leans his head side ways and vomits over-salted ale.


Now that's a respectable Pirate captain!

As you make your way around Quent finding a merchant for your goods, a carpenter who may want to sign on, and some general information, you pick up a few solid rumors, though you're unsure if they're just that.

A Captain Redsail has two ships in the harbor - Captain's Howling, and The Loyal Lust. Both are considered new to the captain's growing fleet.

Barnabas Harrigan has been seen on the way to Port Peril...is he to meet with the Hurricane King himself?

I heard someone tried to break the Rock - Tidewater Rock, that is...went to Windward Isle and not a soul returned 'cept for a kid who floated about on a half busted raft with nothin' but a pail for bailin'.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Yeah? That's a story to tell. And where might we find this kid who survived an assault on the Rock? Jask asks.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush perks up at that one as well. Aye. Good to know what we might be up against, should we try our hand at the fortress.


The man, a mostly toothless old pirate sort, throws back his ale and belches, then wipes his grimy chin with a sleeve. Boy works down in Shanty Town, I think...whores there took a likin' to 'im and treat 'im like a son. Rough place called "The Tin Hare."


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Bartender, give this old pirate another drink.

Jack puts down coin to pay for the drink, and tips his cap to the old pirate. Jack nods to Rush.

Well, mate. I've not much else to do, and I'd like to hear this lad's tale. What you say we go and pay The Tin Hare a visit?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Sunyata enters a vestibule area that leads to a paper thin wall of opaque screens framing an ornate pair of doors with full height pulls. It's a massive vestibule, and on each side is a long bar with stools, many of them filled. Some others mill about - people of all sorts, some appearing rich and others poor. Ladies in finery dance among them, often flitting from one to another to check in on them.

Taking a seat, you order a drink your choice, and the bartender, a busty woman with her ample assets proudly displayed as they burst out of her frilly shirt, smiles as she approaches with your drink. Here you are, my dear. What's your pleasure this evening?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tap, in his stupor, takes several moments to focus on the man shouting at him. The baker seems to be holding a long stick...no...a baguette...as if it were a club.

Now you buy my goat!

No, that wasn't it...

You have a fine throat!

Still not right....

Get off my boat!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack and Rush enter the Tin Hare, and the smell assails them first. Pungent and only recognizable as foul, the scent drifts out of the tavern and into the street. Entering, you can see that these are the poor wretches who have taken their drink too far. These sorry few wallow in their cups, often to the point of finding a corner to puke or piss in. Two men lie on the floor near the hearth where it looks like they attacked each other. One may be dead.

A warty, fat man behind a dirty counter calls out. 'Ey! In 'er out...we don't take ta' vagrants...yer drinkin' or its tha street!


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack looks up and down at the fat man, but ignores the man's provocations.

We're looking for a boy, who has a story to tell, a story of... professional interest. Word is, a survivor of an assault on the Tidewater Rock. There's money in it, for you, and the boy.

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 Danger?


There isn't any present danger that Jack can sense...seems like most of these fellows are too far into the cups to bother.

The bartender frowns - an ugly thing on an ugly face- and then he nods. Seems like I mighta' heard a' somethin' like that...lemme think... He makes quite the show of pondering this, scratching his chin theatrically and all.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack gets the hint. He puts down a couple of silver pieces on the grimy counter.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Earlier in the day, Jack attempted to sell their goods. He was not particularly pleased with the price that was offered. Their sweat and blood ought to have been worth more than that. So, Jack put on a well practiced intimidating frown, resting his hand on the pommel of his blade, while he listened to the merchant make excuses for why he could only pay half of what it was clearly worth. Still, the merchant seemed to be prepared for this ploy, because it had less an effect on the merchant than he would have liked.

intimidate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush chimes in when the silver flashes, trying to make sure that we spend no more. And now, good sir, the information. We've started up a new crew and have an interest in the Rock. Would hate to have a full crew so disappointed.

Diplomacy Roll: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


The man runs his grimy fingers over the silver and slips them into an equally grimy pocket. He grunts at Rush, seeming not to care, and nods to the corner of the inn, where a small figure huddles in a dark, hooded robe.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack pulls out his knife, and fingers his sharp edge. He nod slightly toward the fat man, and sidles over to the sitting figure.

I hear you survived an assault on the Rock. If you care to, we'd like to hear the tale. There's silver in it for you.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
GM Nayr wrote:

Sunyata enters a vestibule area that leads to a paper thin wall of opaque screens framing an ornate pair of doors with full height pulls. It's a massive vestibule, and on each side is a long bar with stools, many of them filled. Some others mill about - people of all sorts, some appearing rich and others poor. Ladies in finery dance among them, often flitting from one to another to check in on them.

Taking a seat, you order a drink your choice, and the bartender, a busty woman with her ample assets proudly displayed as they burst out of her frilly shirt, smiles as she approaches with your drink. Here you are, my dear. What's your pleasure this evening?

Loathing the very air she was breathing in this place was enough to put her on edge... Sunyata hates brothels and everything they stand for. Poverty. Abuse. Betrayal. Death.

... she breathes deep remembering these women are just doing their best, just like the mother she lost was while taking care of a secret and hidden daughter until she was attacked... by that monster... She focuses on her task at hand, as these places made her dangerously furious... she had to focus on why she was here.

First time here. I'll get right to it, dear. Looking for some information, I heard here was the best place to come for things whispered between the sheets. Which girl do you recommend for information on a well known captain? I can pay.

She discretely taps her purse just so the lady can see she is good for it.

We ladies have to stick together, this is a tough place, you know what I mean.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush follows Jack over and continues playing "good cop".

It might also help you to find some closure if this event has troubled you. Come, tell us what you know.

Diplomacy again: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Rush is avidly listening, trying to pick up all the smallest details. This sort of harrowing adventure is what he grew up on and this p-o-s tavern is just making it seem all the more like a tale.


The young man...really no more than a boy, pulls back his hood. He doesn't seem to be intoxicated at all...may be the only one in here besides the bartender and yourselves.

The Rock, eh? That cursed place...damned cap'n of mind thought it'd be an easy deal. E' didn't even question why it was so secure, just thought a' the good fortune the place would bring. He looks at the silver. Ya know the whole story? Fer a gold piece, I'll spin ya' the tale.


The bartender leans even closer, her bosom resting on the bartop as she smiles at Sunyatta. Oh, but if I weren't on a shift, I'd be your girl, lass. Tell you anythin' you want to hear.. She suddenly puts on a pouty face. But, guess someone else will get your time tonight.

She stands back up. Shanael, the redhead over there. That's your gal. But she's not cheap, so make sure you don't treat her as such.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush looks at the boy, expecting a sniveling wreck of a teenager and getting a young man who just seems angry.

We'll buy you a drink. And if the information seems worth while, then you'll get your gold. Rush slides him a few copper (enough to pay for a drink).

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack looks over at Rush. A gold piece for a tale! It better be a good one.

He pulls out a gold piece, and deftly twiddles it between his fingers. Come lad. Now who was this captain of yours?


FleetFooted Halfling |Loot|The Shackles Map

The door slams open...and a powdery puff of a man falls through. Lucky I ain't doool you worse, right shere. Bumbl'n assh. Tap strides in sideways, stepping on the dough boy, and lurching forward. Tap looks up. Ah ale, is what I needs. Barkeep a cup! And a lassh if you's got one without d'pox. Tap stares bleerily forward, reaches into his purse and tosses some coins onto the table, seemingly not aware he'd pulled out a platinum. Tap looks around, bleerily. Ah, Rush, friennnd. You are here! Two ales! Tap fishes another coin and tosses it on the table.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

How surprising to find you in your cups at the very bottom of Quent. Come, we are about to hear a tale. It will only cost you a platinum. Jack grabs the platinum from Tap's fingers, and holds up his finger.

Stay incognito, fool


When Tap closes the door behind him, you can hear the shouts outside of Ruffian! Some fool took my rum! And my baguette!

The boy snatches up the gold quickly, even as the bartender sighs and brings out fresh ale - bad, and way too warm. Even so, the boy starts in.

Jes' call him a dead one...that's all 'e is now. Fool tried the rock, and got me friends all done in the process. Now, let me start from the beginning. See, over two hunnerd years ago, a Free Captain named Magna Stormeyes found this natural harbor on the Windward Isle, and figured, rightly so, that it'd be the perfect haven from which to launch a pirate fleet. She built the keep there as she set about her trade, piratin' the waters around the area. The keep was perfect as she could pick out ripe targets from on high, and see enemies comin' from afar....least, that's what they say.

Stormeyes was so successful that she built a fleet and other strongholds, and soon claimed the Hurricane Crown as her own. Course, as these things go, she was assassinated by rival Free Cap'ns, and the rock fell to one of her cap'ns, Greta Frome. She run it for a while, and become a strong Free Captain in her own right, till it changed hands again. An' that's the way of it - good fortune waits for one who can crack the Rock, but the problem is that it puts a target on ya', right quick.

Most recent lord of the Rock was Bertram Smythee, captain of a few brigs. Over a decade ago, Iron Bert went to sea with a small fleet in a feud with Free Captain Carola Antiochus an' was never seen again. Word came back that Antiochus had lured Iron Bert into the edges of the Eye and ambushed him with the help of some other cap'n - Harrigan, if memory serves. 'Ol Iron Bert managed to sink Antiochus afore the Hurricane stole 'im away, and then this Harrigan takes over his fleet. He tried the Rock, they say, but Iron Bert's widow, Agasta Smythee, took over the defenses, and turned 'im back.

She rules there still with her troops...an' I know...felt one of those spears meself. He pulls up the cloak to show a wicked scar that runs up his side. A bit to the left, and I'd have been holdin' in me guts.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush manages to keep a straight face when Tap blunders in, drunk as a skunk. He calmly reaches over, tries to take all the coins he can from what Tap has strewn about, and remains completely stoic.

A fine story. But with some holes that we'll be wantin filled before we're done. I've known rather a few captains in my years. Like to know for definite if your captain was one I knew.
Also, Agasta and her troops.......... Were they.... alive?


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Jack looks over at Rush, a little surprised at his question. I thought for a while, and then nodded. That's a tale, but not one worth a whole gold piece. Did your captain not scout out the Rock beforehand? Did your captain think it abandoned? How did you approach? Besides spears, what was the Rock defended with? Was there a parley?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The youth seems perplexed, then it dawns upon him. Oh! Yeah, yeah...dey was alive, not shamblin' monsters or anythin'. My cap'n was one Captain Musemad (moose-a-mod.) He was pretty young - not much older than me, and had been a merchant's son who was fed up with the family business.

He turns to Jack. The Rock is a fortified tower house some seventy feet tall, built on a big stone shingle. The heavy front door is at the top of a ten foot stone stair, the stone shingle shear below it. The water below at high tide comes just up to the stoop!

See, the captain didn't account for three things - damned fool - arrows, ballisae, and fire. I dunno' if they have some new weapon in there or if someone is a wizard, but when our men got close, a burst of fire roasted 'em in their armor...which they had needed ta' get through the hail of arrows.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

I can see you've thought about it a lot. So... if you had a second chance to try it, how would you go about it?


GM Nayr wrote:

The bartender leans even closer, her bosom resting on the bartop as she smiles at Sunyatta. Oh, but if I weren't on a shift, I'd be your girl, lass. Tell you anythin' you want to hear.. She suddenly puts on a pouty face. But, guess someone else will get your time tonight.

She stands back up. Shanael, the redhead over there. That's your gal. But she's not cheap, so make sure you don't treat her as such.

Sunyata's naturally inexpressive face looks as if chiseled in stone, and she holds the gal's gaze evenly. She considers the bartender's comment and graciously smiles at the compliment. She dismisses any further entertainment of any thought about the bartender as lower impulses, and focuses on the matter at hand.

No woman is cheap. Ever. I'd never make one feel less than she is. She winks calculatedly, and leans in closer to the bartender... pauses to let a long silence string between them hanging like a thread, and her words pearls strung out slowly... If you'd like to take a walk on the docks later when the air cools a bit and the jasmines open to the night... I'd be keen on sharing some fresh air, gossip, and smellin' the proverbial roses. I'll be at the docks entrance after sundown. assuming it's still afternoon?

Without waiting for a response, she notes the desired effect of her words and intimations, drops two coins nonchalantly, grabs her drink, and walks towards Shanael. The bartender caught her attention because of how she talked to her, but she decided she had to focus on the actual purpose she was here for, not save every poor wench trapped in this life, or give into her lower impulses. Even if that wench was pretty cute...


The bartender blinks slowly, then smiles even wider. It might be that I'm off my shift be then...and I do love roses. She winks and drifts away, though she stops to cast a glance back over her shoulder.

Indeed!

Shanael is every bit the welcoming professional, quickly reading the fact that you're seeking her out. She dips her head in acknowledgement, slowly raising her eyes back up to meet yours, before turning with a flourish that sets her dazzling floral robe whirling up in her wake. Cool colors accented with fiery orange and yellow seem to work with the flaming red of her hair as she leads you upstairs with a swaying walk that seems quite well-practiced.

She leads you into a lavish room, richly decorated with trim of deep mahogany and red and gold furs. A fire burns low in the hearth, illuminating a four poster bet with a ribboned canopy.

Shanael turns, and reaches past you to lock the door, brushing up against you slightly as she does. Her pale skin shows the faint glow of the fire as she locks eyes with you and steps back into the room. Your pleasure, my lady?

She apparently doesn't feel the need to discuss pricing...perhaps that depends upon what you want.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Hey GM, good on you for keeping up with two scenes at the same time. Kudos.

Rush leans over and whispers into Jack's ear. Mayhaps we should give thought to an alliance with these people. They're no friend of Harrigan, and neither are you and the Captain. If we find out this nut is to hard to crack....


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Actually, I was wondering if this boy might be needing a job. Is why I'm sort of asking him if he'd like another crack at it


Thanks! Sure will be awkward if I mix these specific two...

The boy smirks, and looks up at Jack. If I had another shot at it, ya' say? Well...bring more folks an' alot of firepower. Raze the tower house from a distance, then rebuilt it. Ha! But, if yer talkin' a single ship...well, then I'd say ya' need a less..upfront method...if'n ya' know what I mean. Cap'n Musemad wasn't one fer talkin', so we didn't even try. Tha lady of tha' house there's gotta' know she can't hold the rock forever - her best bet is to make a deal with someone stronger.

The seemingly quite well informed youth winks. Course...that's jes' a thought. I ain't no cap'n.


Current HP: 23 Sylph Oracle 4

Rush looks pointedly at Jack after the boy's speech. He raises a single eyebrow. His point is made (he feels).


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

So does Agasta Smythee just sit on that rock with a fishin pole out the winduh, or she pirating like the rest of us? I'd guess the latter, if she still has pirates that will help her hold the place.

Jack looks the boy up and down. So boy, you a land lover now, or are you itchin' to be at sea? What were you on this ship of Musemad's?


GM Nayr wrote:

The bartender blinks slowly, then smiles even wider. It might be that I'm off my shift be then...and I do love roses. She winks and drifts away, though she stops to cast a glance back over her shoulder.

Indeed!

Shanael is every bit the welcoming professional, quickly reading the fact that you're seeking her out. She dips her head in acknowledgement, slowly raising her eyes back up to meet yours, before turning with a flourish that sets her dazzling floral robe whirling up in her wake. Cool colors accented with fiery orange and yellow seem to work with the flaming red of her hair as she leads you upstairs with a swaying walk that seems quite well-practiced.

She leads you into a lavish room, richly decorated with trim of deep mahogany and red and gold furs. A fire burns low in the hearth, illuminating a four poster bet with a ribboned canopy.

Shanael turns, and reaches past you to lock the door, brushing up against you slightly as she does. Her pale skin shows the faint glow of the fire as she locks eyes with you and steps back into the room. Your pleasure, my lady?

She apparently doesn't feel the need to discuss pricing...perhaps that depends upon what you want.

Sunyata notes where the bartender gal looks to, she knows all too well the rules of these establishments, there's always someone watching. She mentally files it away as a detail that might bear some importance if needed, and she appreciates the effort it takes for Shanael's perfect image that suggests she can meet any client's wildest fantasy.

She follows her to the room and when the gal brushes up against her, she knows she's being checked in her every reaction and this is what the girls do, they study every move to find the chinks in the emotional armor of clients to exploit them and make the experience worthwhile for better coin.

She takes Shanael's hands in hers and sits on the bed with a serious tone. I need some information about a Captain who might have come through here, he has gone by the name Redsail, he's hard to miss, he has unusual skin that glimmers a bit, maybe now it may even seem like he has crystals embedded.

Sunyata hopes anxiously to get a clue from this girl and sizes up her responses.


The boy chuckles, then shrugs. I dunno what she does, ta' be honest. She don't have a fleet or nothin'....just her and her few soldiers holdin' the place - almost like she doesn't wanna' leave in case her dead husband comes back home for dinner.

He raises an eyebrow. Well, I needed a trade growin' up...only thing I was good at was working with wood. I was a carpenter's apprentice on the ship - spent my time fixin' what needed fixin.

Two birds, meet your stone.


Male Human Swashbuckler Lvl 4

Tell you what. If you are what you say you are, well, we need a carpenter on our ship. We have a ballista we'd like to fix up, and repairs to the ship that occasionally need doing. And the captain is looking for someone to run errands to boot. Pay is standard rate. Nay, and it doesn't hurt to have someone who's seen it gone all to pieces neither. What do you say? A man can't stay at a place like this too long without getting stuck in the muck.

3,151 to 3,200 of 3,231 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / To Live in Infamy - a Skull and Shackles AP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.