Revival of the Runelords

Game Master Cellion

(RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (RotRL Loot Log)

INIT template:
[dice=Kargas]d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Flo]d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Rig]d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Colvyn]d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Kellek]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Guiness]d20+1[/dice]


3,801 to 3,838 of 3,838 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>

Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

Cathedral:
Father Zantus gives a warm smile at seeing Guiness back to normal. "I'm happy to see that you've earned Desna's favor. I wish you the best fortune in your fight against those undead, and may she watch over all of you." He waves you goodbye as the team heads over to the Sandpoint Garrison.

----
Garrison:
With Flo and Guiness in the lead, you arrive at the Garrison to find Sheriff Hemlock pacing back and forth with a furrowed brow. He continues to look haggard, like he hasn't gotten much sleep over the last couple of days. In his sluggish state, he looks in your general direction without initially recognizing you, and then does a double-take as you arrive.

"Good. You're finally here!" He ushers you into an office inside the garrison. "I got word early this morning that you'd brought in Erin Habe, from the Respite outside of town. At first, I thought you had found the murderer. As unlikely a perpetrator as Habe would have been in my eyes, I've seen other seemingly mild mannered people do some terrible things in my tenure as Sheriff."

"When I spoke with him, the picture he painted was one of victimhood, of some necromancer who had blackmailed him into providing a hideout. I'd like to confirm his story against yours, if you will. And get your opinion of Habe, as well." He rubs a hand across the stubble on his chin as he considers. "He's been through a lot, but even so, he seems rather nervous, in my professional opinion."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

”Do you think he is still hiding something, Sheriff?” asks Guiness, seeming to be trying to look at everything at once.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

"After you've been working in my job for a while, you realize that nervousness doesn't usually mean they have something serious to hide. It could be as trivial as worry over his business, now that he's away." The Sheriff shakes his head. "He certainly said as much out loud."

"What are your impressions?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

”He seemed a bit of a coward to me, but being threatened by a necromancer and his undead will do that to most people,” contributes Guiness.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none
RAGING:
Rounds per Day 12/12 l 49/49hp l F +11 R +5 W +5 l AC18 Touch10 FF16 CMB +8 CMD20 l Atk +11 Dmg 2d4+9
Half-Orc CN Bloodrager4 l 37/37hp l F +8 R +5 W +3 l AC20 Touch12 FF18 CMB +8 CMD20 l Perc +7 l Darkvision 60ft l Init +3 l Spd40ft l Intimidate +11; Feint DC12

Kargas shrugs, picking at his fingernails with a dagger. "I think he's a coward, maybe even saw the arrangement as mutually beneficial--after all, any of his failures conveniently disappeared into the gnome's laboratory. But maybe I'm being too harsh, I don't know. Is there anyone else to care for those people? Might be better to keep him there but under supervision."

Sheathing the dagger, the half-orc moves towards the nearest window and glances out. "Figure that Habe can wait until later, what in the black hells are we going to do about the ghouls? We don't know how many there are, but if wait there's gonna be more, seems like."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 4 | hp 22 | AC 13, T 12, FF 11 | CMD 14 | F +1, R +3, W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | Kn(Arc, Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +10, Kn(Others) +8, Perc +6, SensM +6, Scrft +14 | arc reservoir 4/7 | magic missile wand 28/38
Floredana Mandulescu wrote:
"Have you noticed Kellek acting strange lately? Or, I suppose, stranger? He has always kept to himself, but I feel like he has turned it up a notch recently. What do you think he is doing right now while we are all down here?"

Meanwhile....


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

"His failures? He didn't say anything about 'failures'. Are we talking about the patients in his care?" Hemlock's brow furrows, not liking where this is going. "Either way, I suppose the best move for the patients may be to send a message down to Magnimar that we need another doctor. Either one to support Habe... or to replace him. I would hate to see the poor folks at the Respite neglected while we sort this out."

He signals one of his Guardsmen to get a message sent to Magnimar at the earliest opportunity.

"And you're expecting more than one ghoul, now? It was bad enough when you suggested it might be a single undead creature behind the murders." (I'm assuming you filled Hemlock in that much last you were in town) Hemlock rubs his thumb against his temple. "How many are you expecting?"


Undine Varisian Pilgrim 4 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 16| F: +7 R: +4 W: +10 +2vsCharms/Compulsions| Init +7 | Perception +12, Sense Motive +11; Darkvision 60ft | Move [40] 50
Tracked Resources:
Reach 3/3 | Bit of Luck: 7/7 | Agile Feet: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4+1/4+1 2nd 3+1/3+1 | Channel Positive Energy 3/3 | Bless 37/50

"I don't think we have an exact number, but Ghoul fever spreads easily enough. We plan on heading South and seeing what we can do about it once and for all," Flo says. "As to Habe, I think supervision is the fairest option. Failing that, a replacement. He was coerced for sure, but there were things he could have done to try to wriggle out of that arrangement at minimal risk. There were several zombies and as far as we know, no messages set to the town."
________
Flo has no issues with telling Hemlock all about what they found at the Respite and sharing the map, journal, etc.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

"Sounds fair to me, Floredana. Now that I can see, I am ready to go hunt down some ghouls and stop their foulness from spreading," says Guiness, adding, "Has anyone had any luck finding that Foxglove fellow?"


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

As you provide your explanation, Hemlock looks over the map and notes before returning them to you for safe keeping. "Grim tidings. Those farmers out there are defenseless... and since we've heard nothing from any of them, I fear the worst. Though I've already worked the Guard hard, I'll set them to scouting outside town. If any ghouls or ghasts make their way into town, we'll be pressed hard to stop them before someone gets injured or killed." He takes a deep breath and squares his jaw. "That said, this ghoul threat is deeply worrying. I can spare four guards to join you, if you think they'll be an asset."

"Thank you for letting me know and for being willing to take the fight to these ghouls. I only hope you find whoever or whatever is the origin. Find them, and deal with them."

She shakes his head. "We'll handle Habe from here. You'll have more than enough on you without having to also worry about those folks at the Respite."
----

Saying goodbye to an increasingly overwhelmed Hemlock, you ask around town for Aldern Foxglove. As someone who is hard to miss, and hard to ignore in his flamboyancy, it doesn't take much effort to gather that he hasn't been around Sandpoint for this last week. According to those that know him a little better, he has rarely stayed in the town for long, preferring to stay in Magnimar and only return to Sandpoint for festivals and when he has to.

KN Local DC20; while trying to learn where Foxglove is:
While no one has heard exactly where Foxglove is right now, you do hear an interesting story. A few months ago, Aldern had been trying to recruit folks in town to help with the restoration of his family's ancestral home - the Foxglove Manor. It had laid vacant for many years after the elder Foxglove had passed. The locals had been reticent to help him, and it had taken some serious gold to get enough interest in the work.

After the Manor's repairs were done, Aldern himself seemed to have little interest in the property. Those who have seen it on the way to Magnimar swear its been abandoned once more.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none
RAGING:
Rounds per Day 12/12 l 49/49hp l F +11 R +5 W +5 l AC18 Touch10 FF16 CMB +8 CMD20 l Atk +11 Dmg 2d4+9
Half-Orc CN Bloodrager4 l 37/37hp l F +8 R +5 W +3 l AC20 Touch12 FF18 CMB +8 CMD20 l Perc +7 l Darkvision 60ft l Init +3 l Spd40ft l Intimidate +11; Feint DC12

Kargas shakes his head. "Keep your guards with you, we can all cover more ground as separate groups and I don't think we'll need the extra muscle. Good hunting, Sheriff."

While the others ask around for Aldern, Kargas sees if he can find a magical weapon or armor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

You can absolutely purchase a +1 weapon or armor off screen. Just jot it down in discussion (same goes for other purchases).


Undine Varisian Pilgrim 4 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 16| F: +7 R: +4 W: +10 +2vsCharms/Compulsions| Init +7 | Perception +12, Sense Motive +11; Darkvision 60ft | Move [40] 50
Tracked Resources:
Reach 3/3 | Bit of Luck: 7/7 | Agile Feet: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4+1/4+1 2nd 3+1/3+1 | Channel Positive Energy 3/3 | Bless 37/50

Flo nods in agreement. "I think the guards will be best equipped and needed here, with the people of Sandpoint! Thank you Sheriff," she says. "I've just a few purchases to make, but otherwise I think I'm ready to take to the farmlands. Think it is worth traveling by horseback? Speed is needed, but I'm no cavalier!"
________
I'll make purchases, I've just been swamped these past few days and haven't had time to sit down and plan it out -_-


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

No prob Flo. I'll hold off on pushing forwards for another day while you guys settle on your plan. Right now, there's one vote for heading first to the farmlands (I assume you mean the section identified on Caizarlu's map).


M Ifrit Bard (Arcane Duelist) 4 | HP 32/32 | AC16 : T11 : FF15 : CMD17 : CMB+6 | F+3 : R+5 : W+3 | Init +5| Per +5 : SM +3 : Darkvision 60': Move 30' |
Magic!:
Bard Performances: 11/13 |Spells: 0) Spark, Ghost sound, Detect Magic, Message, Prestidigitation, Dancing Lights | 4/4/day 1) Cure Lt Wounds, Grease, Dazzling Blade, Vanish | 2/2/day 2) Bladed Dash, Heroism

kn:local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 {if you'll let me do a gather info diplomacy instead that'd be a 20, but I'm willing to accept kn:local :) }
Rig asks a few people whether or not they've seen their boar hunting companion.

I'm cool headed to the farmlands. I even got a horse from said hunting trip


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

Yep, that should have been KN Local / Diplomacy. So feel free to take a look in the spoiler.


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 3 / Trapper 1 | hp 28/28 | AC18 T15 FF 14 CMD 14 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +6 | Init +4 | Perc +9 (+3 vs traps) D.D +11 (+2 vs Traps) S.M. +2 Darkvision 60ft | Move 20 Ft
Spoiler:
Blessing: 4/4, Fervor 1d6 3/3 Prepared Spell : Level 0 : Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize | Level 1 : Divine Favor, Divine Favor, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith

Colvyn waits as the group goes shopping for gear. When everyone is done, he climbs on Phasgan and motion that he is ready to go. With Floredana's comment, he turns and smiles at her. "I would invite you to ride with me, but I don't think either you or Phasgan would be comfortable with that."

To the Farms!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

To the farms it is!

With Habe in good hands and new gear at your belts and in your packs, you get up on horseback (or Phasgan-back, as it were) and head back south towards the Sandpoint Hinterlands. With your late wake-up and the various tasks you had to accomplish before leaving, its already mid afternoon before you peel off the Lost Coast road and start towards the farmlands.

Vast fields of corn grow high across the rolling hills. Their stalks sway in the afternoon breeze. Shimmering and undulating. To the casual observer, the land looks peaceful and idyllic. If you hadn't found Caizarlu's notes, you likely would never have expected anything bad here.

You join a hard-packed dusty country track about 10ft wide. Fields of crops rise high on either side of the track. Even from the elevation of horseback, you have trouble seeing further than your immediate vicinity due to the broad leaves and swaying stalks.

As you ride southward along the trail, you come up to a four-way intersection. Dirt paths extend in all four cardinal directions. Overlooking the intersection from the fields is an old, straw-filled scarecrow. Unlike some simple scarecrows, this one features a full body dressed in a farmer's coveralls and a wide brimmed straw hat that covers almost all of it's burlap-sack face. A vulture is perched on the scarecrow's shoulder, but as you draw close it lazily flaps its wings and takes off.

(Maps updated! Feel free to ask questions about what else you see or have seen on the way down or roll any skill checks that seem appropriate - I've just pushed the group all the way to the first intersection to give you a question to go with the intro to the Farmlands.)

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

Having hustled along to keep up with the horses, Guiness reaches the intersection a bit winded. ”Well, I suppose that could be a ghoul,” says Guiness laconically, gesturing at the scarecrow. ”Anybody have a more sophisticated undead detector than this?” he asks, hefting one of his throwing hammers.

(This, of course would be humanoid-shaped inanimate object number: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 he has wanted to stop and throw a hammer at since they left Sandpoint.)


Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 4 | hp 22 | AC 13, T 12, FF 11 | CMD 14 | F +1, R +3, W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | Kn(Arc, Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +10, Kn(Others) +8, Perc +6, SensM +6, Scrft +14 | arc reservoir 4/7 | magic missile wand 28/38

Kellek steps out of his room to get some water for his infernal black brew when he notices that the party seems to have left.

"Typical."

So it appears we got some treasure (and Kellek got a book!) but I'm not really clear on how much (or quite how to read the Loot Table). Kellek of course takes what ever time he has available inscribing spells assuming he has any money to do it with.


Undine Varisian Pilgrim 4 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 16| F: +7 R: +4 W: +10 +2vsCharms/Compulsions| Init +7 | Perception +12, Sense Motive +11; Darkvision 60ft | Move [40] 50
Tracked Resources:
Reach 3/3 | Bit of Luck: 7/7 | Agile Feet: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4+1/4+1 2nd 3+1/3+1 | Channel Positive Energy 3/3 | Bless 37/50

”Well even so, Colvyn, I’ll take any tips you have for riding as we go!”

At the scarecrow, Flo shrugs her shoulders a little. ”Worth a test like that, Guinness. Colvyn could shoot it too, that’d be better than letting it get the jump on us if it is a fake. The farm country is just so... beautiful,” she says, letting the others tend to their precautions and focusing on the scenery.

”We used to pass farms like this on the boat, either bustling or lazy, depending on the season. It’d be nice to float a route consistently that passes one again. Maybe fewer Ghouls, though,” she says with a smirk to anyone bothering to listen.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

I'll assume Guiness does as he suggested.

At Flo's agreement, Guiness delivers a throwing hammer straight into the scarecrow's chest. The weapon buries itself deep into the bundled straw. The scarecrow wobbles a bit on its post, but stays standing.

You hear the cawing of crows off in the distance and the flutter of wings. With the high crops around you, you don't see the flock, though you can tell they're somewhere to the south.

If you guys don't choose a direction to explore, I'll roll a random one with my next post.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

”A right fine Ghoul Detector, I’d say,” claims Guiness, adding to Colvyn, ”I’ll give you the next shot.” Guiness retrieves his throwing hammer and proceeds to follow the rest of the group deeper into the farmlands.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none
RAGING:
Rounds per Day 12/12 l 49/49hp l F +11 R +5 W +5 l AC18 Touch10 FF16 CMB +8 CMD20 l Atk +11 Dmg 2d4+9
Half-Orc CN Bloodrager4 l 37/37hp l F +8 R +5 W +3 l AC20 Touch12 FF18 CMB +8 CMD20 l Perc +7 l Darkvision 60ft l Init +3 l Spd40ft l Intimidate +11; Feint DC12

double checking the loot list, I think I've got enough money to get a +1 falchion if I sell the bastard sword, mswk ranseur, chain shirt, and mswk falchion. Unless Guiness would prefer to have it?

Kargas walks out of Korvut's establishment, testing the edge of his gleaming new falchion. Returning to his room, he dons the breastplate armor he took off Nualia's corpse before rejoining the others.

Now AC20

+ + + + +

Walking with the others, Kargas tries to keep a sharp eye out though he doesn't expect to encounter any ghouls during the day. "So where to? We can wander the countryside looking for ghouls, or head to Foxglove's house. Any suggestions?"


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 3 / Trapper 1 | hp 28/28 | AC18 T15 FF 14 CMD 14 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +6 | Init +4 | Perc +9 (+3 vs traps) D.D +11 (+2 vs Traps) S.M. +2 Darkvision 60ft | Move 20 Ft
Spoiler:
Blessing: 4/4, Fervor 1d6 3/3 Prepared Spell : Level 0 : Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize | Level 1 : Divine Favor, Divine Favor, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith

Colvyn pulls an arrow from his quiver, but then Guiness let his throwing hammer fly before he can aim for the scarecrow. He keeps the arrow ready, however, looking around. "I don't like something here, it feels wrong. A vulture on a scarecrow, crow further in the field, and so far, no sign of the living." He tries to see past the corn, but his small size isn't helping here. "Anyone sees a house or building around here?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 4 | hp 22 | AC 13, T 12, FF 11 | CMD 14 | F +1, R +3, W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | Kn(Arc, Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +10, Kn(Others) +8, Perc +6, SensM +6, Scrft +14 | arc reservoir 4/7 | magic missile wand 28/38

Meh. They'll be back.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

Considering Rig's comment in discussion, I'm going to assume that he's gathering some more information in Sandpoint and plans to join you guys later. Basically, whenever Rig is ready to rejoin us, he can jump in!

You know from the elevated Lost Coast Road that there are farmhouses all over these hills. When you headed this way, you were certain you aimed yourselves at the nearest one - though inside this maze of corn, its hard to tell if you're on the right track. (Survival to orient yourselves, if you'd like)

Random Direction W/S/E: 1d3 ⇒ 1

You take the westward branch from the intersection, continuing through the fields. You reach another intersection in the dirt path, this one with branches to the northwest and southwest. Another scarecrow watches over the intersection from its slightly elevated perch on the side of the road.

Not taking any chances, Guiness tosses his throwing hammer at the scarecrow.
Guiness Throwing Hammer: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
The hammer glances off one of the scarecrow's floppy arms. Just as Guiness starts heading to retrieve his weapon, your entire group notices...

The scarecrow is moving.

It begins to struggle against the twine holding it up against the post, and its sack covered face begins to emit a guttral moan. As it struggles however, it quickly becomes clear that it is having no luck breaking its bonds. Its head whips from side to side with a crazed twitching motion.
Str to break free: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

|||| INIT ||||
Guiness
Kargas
Kellek
Colvyn
Flo

??? Scarecrow

Bold are up!
I've assumed you dismounted and are leading your horses through the fields for simplicity. See maps slide 2 for the map! The overall map of the farmlands is on slide 3.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

”Sorry, Colvyn, I forgot it was your turn,” quips Guiness as he draws his hammer and moves towards the figure.

Is a quick glance enough to confirm this is a ghoul or some other undead creature? On the off chance it is still alive and potentially savable like an early stage Grayst, Guiness will take his action if necessary to confirm by inspection (pulling the sack off its face, for example). I will roll Perception and an Attack, if needed.

Perception on “Scarecrow”: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

[ooc](If confirmed undead without needing an action)
Dragonfist Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
Dragonfist Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 4 | hp 22 | AC 13, T 12, FF 11 | CMD 14 | F +1, R +3, W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | Kn(Arc, Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +10, Kn(Others) +8, Perc +6, SensM +6, Scrft +14 | arc reservoir 4/7 | magic missile wand 28/38

Wait. When did Kellek get invited out to the petting farms?


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

You can decide that Kellek.

As the scarecrow starts struggling against its bonds, a horrid stench of rot begins to billow from it. Guiness doesn't know for sure if this thing is a zombie or ghoul, but it definitely has the smell for it. Unfortunately, with its face and body covered up by the sack and clothing stuffed with straw, it isn't at all clear how far gone it might be.

You can decide if you still want to move in and attack Guiness.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

If this is 10 or higher, Guiness recognizes Ghoul stench and attacks. If it is 9 or lower he instead rips the sack covering off its face to be sure they aren’t murdering a sick but alive person.

...Assuming that really is undead ghoul stench, Guiness follows through with his attack...


Undine Varisian Pilgrim 4 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 16| F: +7 R: +4 W: +10 +2vsCharms/Compulsions| Init +7 | Perception +12, Sense Motive +11; Darkvision 60ft | Move [40] 50
Tracked Resources:
Reach 3/3 | Bit of Luck: 7/7 | Agile Feet: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4+1/4+1 2nd 3+1/3+1 | Channel Positive Energy 3/3 | Bless 37/50

Rig went back to get you and you rode your horse reeeeeaalllly quickly to catch up to us Kellek :D

"AH!" Flo starts, taking a step back. "That noise can't bode well for us, whatever it is, we need to take it out quickly," she urges, pulling her wand out and gracing the party with Desna's favor.
________
Bless!


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 3 / Trapper 1 | hp 28/28 | AC18 T15 FF 14 CMD 14 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +6 | Init +4 | Perc +9 (+3 vs traps) D.D +11 (+2 vs Traps) S.M. +2 Darkvision 60ft | Move 20 Ft
Spoiler:
Blessing: 4/4, Fervor 1d6 3/3 Prepared Spell : Level 0 : Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize | Level 1 : Divine Favor, Divine Favor, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith

"Working on it." Colvyn aims at the scarecrow and sends an arrow flying. It is not as precise as he would like, but it might be just enough.

Longbow vs Scarecrow: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 1 + 1 - 1 = 15
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 + 2 = 7


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

Immobilized as it is by the post, the scarecrow cannot dodge away from neither Guiness' attack nor Colvyn's. An arrow and a weighty strike from Dragonfist are enough to cause it to spasm once and thereafter stop thrashing. Guiness carefully pulls the farmer's hat and burlap sack off the creature's head...

You see a unnaturally pale visage whose skin is stretched tight over its bones. Razor sharp teeth extend from its dislocated jaw. Guiness can tell this creature is undead, though he's not clear on exactly what *kind* of undead it might be. Either way, it definitely isn't human any longer.

And of course, combat over!

Two directions from this intersection, NW and SW. Preferences?


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none
RAGING:
Rounds per Day 12/12 l 49/49hp l F +11 R +5 W +5 l AC18 Touch10 FF16 CMB +8 CMD20 l Atk +11 Dmg 2d4+9
Half-Orc CN Bloodrager4 l 37/37hp l F +8 R +5 W +3 l AC20 Touch12 FF18 CMB +8 CMD20 l Perc +7 l Darkvision 60ft l Init +3 l Spd40ft l Intimidate +11; Feint DC12

Hm, I think I choose SW. Also I really hope we don't have to RP invite Kellek on every group outing...surely some things can just be assumed?

Kargas watches as the ghoul is dispatched, leaning on his sheathed falchion.
"Huh. So it's just a ghoul tied to a post? More terror tactics, I guess. Probably wasn't a ghoul when they were tied there."


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (Dead Suns Maps) | (DeadSuns Handouts) | (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps)

Flo made the comment in discussion, but don't forget you can attempt Survival to orient yourselves and get an idea of where the nearest farmhouse is.

You continue down the south-western branch, moving carefully as you eye the fields of wheat for more scarecrows. It doesn't take longer than five minutes before you spot another, its wide brimmed hat peeking out between the stalks. As you approach it, you realize that it's not alone. Two more scarecrows have been set up flanking it on either side. All three are dressed in straw and tattered farmer's clothing and have sack covered heads with wide hats.

As you come closer, all three begin struggling against the twine that holds them to their post. Muffled groaning begins to flow from them.

Sense Motive DC16; or Perception DC21:
One of the three scarecrows moves in a less frenzied manner, methodically trying to wiggle free of its bonds. You also notice that its muffled groaning is more... a muffled panic.

----
Strength to escape: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Strength to escape: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Strength to escape: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

All struggle against their bonds to no avail.

|||| INIT ||||
Guiness
Kargas
Kellek
Colvyn
Flo

??? Scarecrow
??? Scarecrow
??? Scarecrow

Bold are up!
No map for this one right now since they aren't able to get free. Assume you can get into melee range with them in a single move action.


Undine Varisian Pilgrim 4 | HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 T: 13 FF: 15 CMD: 16| F: +7 R: +4 W: +10 +2vsCharms/Compulsions| Init +7 | Perception +12, Sense Motive +11; Darkvision 60ft | Move [40] 50
Tracked Resources:
Reach 3/3 | Bit of Luck: 7/7 | Agile Feet: 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4+1/4+1 2nd 3+1/3+1 | Channel Positive Energy 3/3 | Bless 37/50

”Just like the first, the faster we put these things down, the easier it is for us. It is deeply concerning though that these things are just waiting to be found...” Flo comments, releasing another bit of holy energy over her party. ”The person is clearly deranged, but planting zombies or whatever these things are in the fields is especially heinous.”
________
Survival (Aid) vs Nearest Farmhouse: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Bless! Might be overkill, but I figure it is better to be safe. Forgot about survival, thanks GM!

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter | Speed 20 | Initiative +1 | AC: 21 (Touch 12, FF 19) | Hp: 52 (52/52) | Fort: +8, Reflex +3, Will +2 (+1 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 19 | | Melee +9 Warhammer+1: 1d8+6+1 Fire, +8 Helmet 1d4+3 (+3 Headbutt 1d4+1), Ranged +5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+3 | CMB: +7 | Character Sheet
Skills:
Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Geography/History +1, Metalcraft +11, Survival +5, Swim +1, Soldier +5
Conditions:
Blinded

”Wait, they could be poor trapped souls who are not yet turned,” says Guiness.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

”Indeed, one of them is alive!” Guiness races to that one, pulling a dagger as he goes to slit its bonds. He slices the bonds and says, “let us protect you!”

3,801 to 3,838 of 3,838 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Revival of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.