Revival of the Runelords (Inactive)

Game Master Cellion

(RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (RotRL Loot Log)

INIT template:
[dice=Ziva]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Astrid]d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Colvyn]d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Kellek]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Guiness]d20+2[/dice]


8,201 to 8,250 of 8,440 << first < prev | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | next > last >>

LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"...wait, that last part--suspended animation? If he's been in a magical cocoon for the last thousand years, that explains his taunts about our work helping him...maybe. Kellek, is it possible that he's "harvesting" the people marked with the sihedron brands? That would explain why we've all run across lamia-grown cults all over the place, with that symbol showing up so frequently; they're gathering souls or energy or something for the wizard king to break out." Ziva is pacing now, working through the problem out loud with a grim expression.

"It also means we might be endangered by more than one awakening mage lord--with any luck that Wrath person drowned when the seas swallowed their kingdom. How many Runelords were there, anyway?"


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)
Ziva Vilcek wrote:
"...wait, that last part--suspended animation? If he's been in a magical cocoon for the last thousand years, that explains his taunts about our work helping him...maybe. Kellek, is it possible that he's "harvesting" the people marked with the sihedron brands? That would explain why we've all run across lamia-grown cults all over the place, with that symbol showing up so frequently; they're gathering souls or energy or something for the wizard king to break out." Ziva is pacing now, working through the problem out loud with a grim expression.

Busy in happy-than-usual-place. Kellek doesn't look up from the text he is reading but mutters "Yes. Probably something like that."

Ziva Vilcek wrote:
"It also means we might be endangered by more than one awakening mage lord--with any luck that Wrath person drowned when the seas swallowed their kingdom. How many Runelords were there, anyway?"

Kellek sighs and looks meaningfully at the seven-pointed star icon in Guiness's hand and then back to Ziva. "I suppose I could hazard an educated guess about the membership of a society of powerful magicians based upon the seven cardinal virtues/deadly sins.... Now, do you mind?"

"Now where was the seat of Karzoug's power, hmm?" he says to himself.

"Clerk!" he calls in Thassilonian. "I need an atlas."


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

The clerk scurries over with an ancient map, unfurling it atop a table and carefully and delicately weighing down the corners. The landscape it depicts is almost, but not entirely, unrecognizable. After careful inspection, you are able to place several landmarks to orient yourself. The clerk readily identifies the seat of Karzoug's power, the city of Xin-Shalast, pointing to a golden marker sitting nestled in a range of mountains that you know correspond to the modern day Kodar range. A winding river marked "Avah" passes through it and down into the valleys below. However, with the changed geography since Thassilonian times, the map can only roughly indicate the location of the city.


CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

Astrid studies the map, comparing it to what she knows of that region's geography nowadays.

Geography: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Astrid knows that the Kodar Mountains stretch a significant distance and that Xin-Shalast is likely on their eastern end. There's not quite enough information here to pinpoint where the city would be in the modern landscape, but you have a fairly good idea of the general area, good enough that you may be able to find other more recent resources to help you track it down.

(You'll need some other source to get the exact spot and locate the city)


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

I see some suggestions in discussion, but we're gonna need some skill checks to determine what you find :)


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)
Brother_Guiness wrote:

“In addition to the other papers on the desk, you find two in particular that catch your eyes. One is a rough map of the Varisian coastline with the rough location of Sandpoint circled. A note next to Sandpoint reads: "Hellstorm Flume Ruins - Foundation stones from each would know where the traitor Xaliasa dwelt, and perhaps where he hid his key to the Runeforge." (See handouts for this document)”

How would one identify a foundation stone, and then get information from it? Who is Xaliasa, what is a Runefoge and what does its key look like?

Also, when we are done here, Guiness thinks we should give enough paperwork to Conna so that she can show the giants how they were being manipulated by Mokmurian and instead lead them to a more peaceful path, then we grab the captives and head back to Sandpoint.

GM Cellion wrote:
For the foundation stone question, the library won't be much help, but you may be able to get an idea with KN Local. For the Library's story, Xaliasa, the Runeforge, and the Runeforge key, you could research all three with some KN History checks with the aforementioned bonus.

Knowledge (local) v Foundation Stone: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (11) + 16 = 27

Then Kellek makes some of his terribly bitter black brew and settles in to work.
Knowledge (history) v Library Storytime: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (15) + 38 = 53
Knowledge (history) v Runeforge: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (9) + 38 = 47
Knowledge (history) v Runeforge Key: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (11) + 38 = 49
Knowledge (history) v Sauron's Ring: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (19) + 38 = 57
Knowledge (history) v Death Star Schematics: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (20) + 38 = 58
Knowledge (history) v Area 51: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (5) + 38 = 43
Knowledge (history) v The location of Jimmy Hoffa's Remains: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (9) + 38 = 47
Knowledge (history) v The key to writing a really good pop song: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (11) + 38 = 49


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Kellek recalls that within stone giant culture, some stone giants cultivate magic that allows them to talk to stones directly and seek wisdom in their ancient "memories". Worked stone can even reveal what structure it was or is a part of. It seems likely that the foundation stones mentioned are just a stone that was once part of the Hellstorm Flume.
----

Library storytime: You learn that this library was once a part of an ancient institution known as the Therassic Monastery, a place of higher learning from ancient Thassilonian times. It was maintained by an order of wizard-monks who worshipped the Peacock Spirit - some sort of long lost faith. The Therassic wizard-monks were concerned with archiving the knowledge of their era, as well as dealing with beings from the Dark Tapestry and the Dreamlands. Their records speak little of themselves, and cut off rather abruptly, suggesting a sudden disappearance.

Runeforge: The Runeforge was a place where the Thassilonian empire's most gifted and creative wizards came together to share knowledge and develop new magic. It was a shared laboratory where adherents of the different Runelords could meet in neutral grounds, and it was often the site of great (but usually friendly) competition. Those dedicated to the Runeforge served within for life. Many of its experiments were less than safe, and nothing was deemed unacceptable in the pursuit of new discoveries. Only individuals hand-picked by the Runelords were allowed access to the Runeforge - ensuring only the most gifted and loyal wizards were allowed entry. The great discoveries of the Runeforge were largely kept secret within, but stories abound within the library (likely invented) of terrible magical beasts, incredible artifacts, and world-bending magics.

Runeforge Key: Supposedly only the elite few were granted keys to the Runeforge. However, it seems at least in part that this "key" is somehow more knowledge than a physical object. The details were kept as a close secret, so even the tomes here have little information on the true nature of how to enter.


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)

About how long is all this research taking?


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Considering all the individual topics you were finding information on, this would have taken in total 5d3 ⇒ (1, 1, 3, 1, 2) = 8 hours, or about a day.


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 9 / Trapper 2 | hp 71/71 | AC21 T15 FF 17 CMD 21 | Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10 (+1 vsTraps) | Init +4 | Perc +19 (+3 vsTraps) D.D +25 (+2 vsTraps) Darkvision 60ft | Move 30 Ft | Condition:
Spoiler:
Blessing: 7/7, Fervor 3d6 7/7, Sacred Weapon 4/9, Sacred Armor 9/9

So am I back to normal?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

So after about 8 hours or so, have we made it to nighttime? Can we go talk to Cora and then go rest with the rescued captives?


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Yep!

The research takes long enough that you end up needing to rest overnight. For those of you interested in staying in the library, the clockwork clerk finds you an ancient set of blankets and you're able to find reasonably comfy spots on various pieces of furniture around the room. The following morning when you wake, you find that Colvyn has returned to his original small size, having finally recovered from the space warping powers of the room you passed through.

Guiness Fort: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

Guiness wakes feeling a touch feverish, but otherwise not too bad. (That's 1 successful save on an affliction that takes 2 consecutive to clear)

If you'd like to go rest with the captives overnight, we can assume you regroup with Conna the following morning while Kellek is still finishing his research.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

As the hour grows late, Guiness suggests they go to the captives and rest there, not wishing them to feel abandoned. He realizes Kellek may not wish to leave the library yet, so he takes those who are willing to go with him back to the freed captives for the night’s rest, with the plan to meet up with everyone in the morning and go talk to Conna.


CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

Feeling a bit claustrophobic after such a long time underground, Astrid casts skyshroud before they turn in for the evening, to give her and the freed captives a view of the night sky.


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"I don't feel entirely comfortable diving ourselves, but our charges have been left alone too long already."


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

When you return to the rescuees, you find them in even worse shape than when you left them. They speak of noises in the dark of the twisting tunnels, of strange chittering and almost-intelligible chatter echoing around. Your presence does wonders for allaying their fears, and you're able to get some rest among them.

The following morning, you return to Conna in her mural chamber. She stares at you silently for a while before asking "You would not have returned if you decided the task too difficult. Is it done then?"


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"Far from it, I'm afraid. Mokmurian is slain, but you must get your people far from here. We were...contacted...by someone or something claiming to be the ancient wizard-king Karzoug. I don't think they were lying." Ziva sketches a very quick explanation of what they've learned in the repository.

"One does not gather an army for not reason; Mokmurian's death would not have altered Karzoug's purpose so for your sake and ours your people should depart as quickly as you can manage it."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”We have papers proving Mokmurian was manipulating the giants for his own ends to serve the runelords, not to better the life of the giants themselves. We are hoping you can lead them along a better path,” adds Guiness.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Conna scowls after hearing Ziva and Guiness' explanations, shaking her head "Then all the talk of treasure and glory was even emptier than it usually is. The death of Mokmurian is the only bright spot I see. With his head and these papers you mention, the growing army here is done. Even if they do not believe your story about Karzoug, they will see that richer fields lie elsewhere."

"Do not worry about my people, I will speak to them and convey has happened here. While some might still have the fire to fight in them, they'll find plenty of action among each other as the clans decide what comes next. I for one, suspect most will return to the plateau and to the normal way of things." Conna nods. "I expect you will be returning to your own homes?"


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

Ziva nods. "We need to get our own people safely home as well. We will perhaps poke around a bit longer--there may be more to learn about this Karzoug--but we'll be on our way soon."


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)
GM Cellion wrote:

As for Karzoug, the tomes have almost too much to say about the Runelord of Greed. Much of the contents is so overblown and self-congratulatory that it almost seems like he commissioned the writings himself. But in between grand ballads penned in his honor, you find a treasure trove of facts as well.

The Runelord Karzoug was the Thassilonian Empire's true master of transmutation magic, and was the lord of the region known as Shalast, over 10,000 years ago. His armies were composed primarily of giants who followed his every command—the giants were ruled by towering monsters known as rune giants, who were themselves the Runelord's pawns. Karzoug counted other powerful creatures as his allies as well, such as blue dragons, eerie denizens from the nightmare realm of Leng, blood drinking outsiders known as scarlet walkers, and...

Left to his own devices, Kellek pulls an all-nighter in the library researching: rune giants, denizens of Leng, scarlet walkers, lamia harridans, and any notable artifacts carried by the Rune Lord of Greed.

In order of research:
knowledge (history, Karzoug's greatest treasures): 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (17) + 38 = 55
knowledge (history, Rune Giants): 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (13) + 38 = 51
knowledge (history, Denizens of Leng): 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (12) + 38 = 50
knowledge (history, Scarlet Walkers): 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (9) + 38 = 47
knowledge (history, Lamia Harridans): 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (13) + 38 = 51

Kellek takes copius notes the subjects of this study in particular the Runeforge and its "key."


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Conna comments "Though you have earned any stay here in my eyes, the rest of my kin likely will not understand. Do not stay overly long, or some might think to foolishly test themselves against you."

----

Back in the library, Kellek buries himself in even more research. He ends up spending (5d4 ⇒ (1, 1, 1, 3, 4) = 10 hours) the better part of the next day by the time he's done.

His research does however yield some useful information. The ancient texts here have much to say on Karzoug's great wealth - much of it likely more fancy than fact. However all agree that he is fabulously wealthy, with vast vaults of coin and jewels, treasures from across the known world, and an arsenal of legendary artifacts. Among his great treasures, many tomes speak of a burning glaive he carries with him that has an intelligence and magic of its own. Others mention the cloud of ioun stones that follow him wherever he goes.

Kellek learns that rune giants were direct creations of the Runelords themselves, raised from ordinary giant stock and twisted with magic. This transformation made rune giants utterly subservient to their respective Runelords, and also capable of magically dominating all lesser giants with relative ease. Rune giants served as a cornerstone of the armies of ancient Thassilon, leading massive bands of lesser giants either kept in thrall or otherwise pressed into service.

There's little detail about Leng in the tomes here, except to describe it as a demiplane of "useful nightmares" that can be accessed from the Dreamlands. From context, it seems that many of the peoples of Xin-Shalast had familiarity with Leng, and that the city had some important connection to the realm.

There's also little information on Scarlet Walkers, except to suggest that they are fearsome spider-like creatures connected to Leng or its neighboring nightmarish worlds. There's more on the Lamia Harridans on the other hand. These lamias served in a commanding role within Xin-Shalast, overseeing much of the city and its people both in civic and religious senses. The stories tell of these lamias having undergone a dramatic transformation upon taking up this role - increasing greatly in size and gaining unholy power.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”Indeed, let’s get moving,” says Guiness, asking Conna, ”Could we have some provisions for our townsfolk we rescued? They have had the opportunity to rest, but could use some strengthening before traveling once more.”


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Conna is happy to offer some provisions from the stores in the kitchen - a couple smoked mammoth ribs and a large sack of edible roots. Though probably no more than a snack for a group of giants, the stash should last your larger group a week or so.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”Thank you, Conna. We will take our leave and go back home with these rescued townsfolk for now. I fear there are those beyond Mokmurian who still plan to try and awaken the Runelords of old, though, so I expect we have more challenges before us. Be well,” he ends simply, then goes back to the townsfolk, preparing to move out as soon as may be.


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

Just occurred to me that we didn't do anything with the Honey I Shrunk the Party room, are we just handwaving that?

"There was a chamber north of the library as I recall, and if the fortress starts to empty out we could investigate that massive tower as well," Ziva muses as the food is distributed to their rescued charges. "We can't teleport this many people away, so a few days in safer, less spider-adjacent rooms with food and rest should prepare them well for the journey ahead."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Handwaving the shrinking room! You've got time to recover from the shrinking if you need to.

Once you get back to them, the rescued captives are happy to get some proper food and dig in as you discuss your next moves.


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)
GM Cellion wrote:

Conna comments "Though you have earned any stay here in my eyes, the rest of my kin likely will not understand. Do not stay overly long, or some might think to foolishly test themselves against you."

----

Back in the library, Kellek buries himself in even more research. He ends up spending (5d4 hours) the better part of the next day by the time he's done.

If possible, Kellek would attempt to pull an all-nighter and just be exhausted the next day, rather than waste valuable time laying about just resting. This would mean he wouldn't recover his most powerful spells, but access to this resource seems too important to waste. That said, if folks wanted to rest afterward he would not begrudge them.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

@Kellek: Yep, I've already assumed you were pulling an all nighter. Since you guys were starting your research near the end of the previous day, the 10 additional hours bring you to afternoon of the following day assuming you don't sleep.

@Everyone: I see one vote from Ziva to keep exploring here, and one vote from Guiness for leaving. What's the decision?


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)
GM Cellion wrote:
@Everyone: I see one vote from Ziva to keep exploring here, and one vote from Guiness for leaving. What's the decision?

"WHAT!? And leave all this!?" Kellek says guesturing about at the treasure trove of knowledge. "Custodian, take these away. I think now I would like to see something describing Thassilonian magic theory."

He turns back to the party. "Be about your business, and let me be about mine."

Given time, he looks into the interconnections and philosophies of Thassilonian magic, and keeps an eye out for any spells scribbled in the margins of the texts. He also investigates any other languages commonly used within the borders of Shalast during the time of Karzoug--outside of any of those he already knows, of course.

knowledge (history) v Thassilonian Magic Theory: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (11) + 38 = 49
knowledge (history) v Shalast Linguistics: 1d20 + 38 ⇒ (20) + 38 = 58


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Though the tomes are full of information on the more academic aspects of ancient Thassilonian magic, they lack much practical detail. Kellek is able to glean that each of the Runelords specialized in a particular school of spell, and that the closest adherents of that Runelord often specialized around similar magic. Karzoug's mastery of Transmutation therefore led to the construction of schools dedicated to that kind of magic within Xin Shalast. That seems the likeliest location for record of the actual spells themselves.

As far as linguistics is concerned, it appears ancient Thassilonian was spoken most frequently, followed by several ancient giant tongues, and then all lesser languages.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Turning with a smile to the others, Guiness says, "I think we might have lost our mage to the vast library. Perhaps we should split up--some take the people back to Sandpoint, then others stay here and research a while, teleporting back afterwards."


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

Frowning, Ziva shakes her head slightly. "Kellek, could you manage to make it back here? The repository has stood for thousands of years, surely it can last a bit longer while we get these folk to safety." She hesitates a moment, then cautiously suggests. "perhaps you might summon a guardian to keep an eye on things for you in the meantime? Something trustworthy, like an archon."


CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

"I daresay he's spent enough time in here that he could probably teleport himself into a particular chair, if he were so inclined."


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)
Brother_Guiness wrote:
Turning with a smile to the others, Guiness says, "I think we might have lost our mage to the vast library. Perhaps we should split up--some take the people back to Sandpoint, then others stay here and research a while, teleporting back afterwards."
"Hm? Fine then. I'll be along shortly."
Ziva Vilcek wrote:
Frowning, Ziva shakes her head slightly. "Kellek, could you manage to make it back here? The repository has stood for thousands of years, surely it can last a bit longer while we get these folk to safety." She hesitates a moment, then cautiously suggests. "perhaps you might summon a guardian to keep an eye on things for you in the meantime? Something trustworthy, like an archon."

"The Repository has indeed stood that long. I however shall not. And the place already has a guardian."

Kellek doesn't voice what he thinks of "dogmatic" archons knowing it will only lead to further delay.

Astrid Olvirsdottir wrote:
"I daresay he's spent enough time in here that he could probably teleport himself into a particular chair, if he were so inclined."

Also, no comment....

Kellek will have to rest first before memorizing teleport. How many prisoners are there? With his arcane reservoir, he can take 4 Medium or smaller people with him at a go and he can 'go' 3 times a day.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

You have eight total rescuees, plus your party.


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)

So Kellek can take four prisoners come back and take a further four, rest a night in the local inn, the Rusty Whatever-It's-Called, and return in the morning for the rest of the party... after breakfast... maybe. ;)

He waves off any attempts at communication telling the prisoners, "No names. I would only grow attached."

That settled, he puts on his tight leather gloves before asking everyone going to join hands in a circle. There's a flash of purple light and some smoke and a sound like *BAMF!*

Teleportation Mishap? The Rusty Something-or-Other: 1d100 ⇒ 72

Teleportation Mishap? The Therassic Monastery: 1d100 ⇒ 7

A few minutes later there is another flash of purple light, smoke and that curious sound like someone hitting a big drum in reverse, this time from the high-back chair in the Runelords' library that Kellek was using. Kellek stands and says "That barkeep, Kaijitsu, was it? She has rented out my room to some newlyweds apparently. Anyhow, who's next?"

Momentarily, there is another *BAMF!* and more light and smoke, and they are gone.

Teleportation Mishap? The Rusty Something-or-Other: 1d100 ⇒ 66

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Blinking once, then twice, Guiness says, "Well, I suppose that works too."

With time to kill, the dwarven warrior exercises and tends to his equipment, otherwise making himself useful and trying to learn from recent combats. He takes time to look around the unoccupied rooms for anything they might have missed, but primarily secret doors, compartments, or other such hidden things as he has time (taking a 20 for a 35 Perception).


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

In a matter of minutes, the wizard manages to whisk away the entirety of your rescuees, before some of them can even protest that they live somewhere other than Sandpoint. At the town, Ameiko and Kargas receive the group without issue, putting them up in spare rooms in the Rusty Dragon for those out of towners and offering food and drink for all.

Over the course of the day, Guiness scours the rooms around the Library as best as he can. One room that the party skipped over earlier was the badly scorched one to the south-east. Here, Guiness finds the scattered remains of blackened and twisted metal, but little of interest. To the north of the Library, the doors open to a solid wall of rubble, a cave in where the tunnel likely once connected to the west or east. To the south-west, Guiness again comes across the massive 12ft tall cauldron that had been guarded by a stone golem. Despite no tending by any creatures or a heat source of any kind, the contents of the cauldron continue to bubble and smoke continues to billow out of it. It's clear the cauldron is strongly magical, but you find getting close to it to be quite unpleasant - the smoke proves debilitating if you linger too long.

Fortunately or unfortunately, Guiness doesn't come across any further hidden rooms, compartments or doors.

Teleportation return #2: 1d100 ⇒ 88

It's the following day by the time Kellek arrives back to the Library.

(Alright, so the rescuees are safe - what's the plan next?)


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"I still think there is more of value to be uncovered here--now that the hostages are safe, if not quite home for all of them--is there any reason we shouldn't continue our sweep? Staying out of the giants' way as much as possible, in deference to Conna."


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)

"Hm?" says Kellek looking up from a table suddenly cluttered by ancient texts retrieved by the custodian for his perusal.

"Oh, yes. the dungeon. he adds a bit annoyed. "Very well."

I'll need to update Kellek's spells for the day later tonight.


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 9 / Trapper 2 | hp 71/71 | AC21 T15 FF 17 CMD 21 | Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10 (+1 vsTraps) | Init +4 | Perc +19 (+3 vsTraps) D.D +25 (+2 vsTraps) Darkvision 60ft | Move 30 Ft | Condition:
Spoiler:
Blessing: 7/7, Fervor 3d6 7/7, Sacred Weapon 4/9, Sacred Armor 9/9

"If you want more treasure, there is still the red dragon's lair that we haven't found."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”I’ll need somethin’ to let me fly on the regular if we are going to go up against more airborne foes,” chimes in Guiness.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

So what's first?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

"I have no problem continuing to investigate as long as we don't risk upsetting Conna's power consolidation among the giants," suggests Guiness, ready to move along.


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)

Spells chosen, some of them already cast. I assume there will be a hunter's blessing of some flavor.

The dragon sounds like a good place to start, so maybe a blessing vs dragons?


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"Not that I have any objection to searching out the wyrm's lair--but where is it? Do we even know where to start?"


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"I shall interpret that silence as a "no" then, hmm? I think we've cleared the repository well enough, but the surface citadel does have that large tower. Shall we start there? Perhaps divinations or asking around will turn up clues regarding the dragon."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”I’m fine with further exploration now that the Sandpoint residents are rescued, as long as we don’t disrupt Conna and our current truce with the giants,” replies Guiness, clearly ready to move on as well.

8,201 to 8,250 of 8,440 << first < prev | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Revival of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.