Revival of the Runelords (Inactive)

Game Master Cellion

(RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (RotRL Loot Log)

INIT template:
[dice=Ziva]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Astrid]d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Colvyn]d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Kellek]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Guiness]d20+2[/dice]


8,151 to 8,200 of 8,440 << first < prev | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | next > last >>

LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

Her thrill at victory choked off by this macabre taunt, Ziva lands and turns a disturbed look to the others. "It seems even Mokmurian is but a pawn... Does that name mean anything to you all? Who or what is a "Karzoug?""

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

"Perhaps Conna can give the giants a new purpose now that Mokmurian is defeated. If she can keep them from listening to this little bird and instead direct them away from Sandpoint, they will hopefully no longer be puppets of this Karzog entity," says Guiness, as he surveys the area for any more immediate threats.

History or Religion on Karzog: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

If he senses no additional imminent attackers, Guiness starts searching the bodies for any useful loot.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32


CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

Astrid stares at the giant's head, thinking back to the recent past when she did something not so different. Ziva's question pulls her back, and she blinks several times, trying to process what was said.

"A man," she says carefully, thinking hard. "A very old one, with an ego to match his years. But he's not as strong as he wants us to think, or else he'd be acting directly. Instead, he's using pawns and go-betweens."


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"He implied that he's...trapped, somehow? Unless that was a bluff, but your words ring true Astrid. This Karzoug is somehow limited in his reach." The warrior lapses into a thoughtful silence.

LOOT LOOT LOOT :D


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Guiness has no idea as to Karzoug's identity, but given that they mentioned ten thousand years, they may be some kind of historical figure. Looking around, he doesn't see any further threats.

A search of Mokmurian's body reveals a collection of items he used in his fight against you.

Loot:
1x wand of bear's endurance (13 charges)
+1 spell-storing large club
type II bag of holding
2000 gp in diamond dust
robe of runes

Mokmurian's Spellbook, which contains all core rulebook arcane spells up through 4th level, excepting those from the enchantment and illusion schools. Plus the following:
6th: analyze dweomer, disintegrate, true seeing
5th: cloudkill, contact other plane, runic overload, telekinesis, wall of force


Additionally, at the top of the stairs you're able to look over Mokmurian's "office" and examine the massive desk and smaller bookcases. The bookcases contain a collection of tomes on spellcraft, the Thassilonian language, and military tactics. Lower-value spell components litter the desk and shelves, valued at 1500 gp total but weighing several hundred pounds. A chest under his desk proves to contain the bulk of the giant leader's liquid wealth. Inside you find 12,000 gp, 1,100 pp, an amber and sapphire necklace worth 4,000 gp, a set of ivory runestones worth 1,400 gp, and a scroll of contact other plane.

Atop the desk are scattered papers all written in a surprisingly neat and clear script. You find various documents going over battle tactics, strategies for giant assaults on Varisian locations (including one for Sandpoint), and general reports on the tangled web of alliances and pacts among the many giant clans, families and bands that make up his army. While a significant portion appears to be made up of his (and Conna's) original clan, it seems he attracted quite a few other opportunistic groups with the promise of riches and rewards.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Finding the bag of holding, Guiness pulls whatever is inside out of the bag for investigation (if applicable), then uses it to hold some of the bulkier items as needed.

”Do we trust Conna enough to give her some of these papers so she can consolidate her leadership of the clan?” Guiness asks the others, not sure what their next step should be.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Two important items I missed mentioning:

In addition to the other papers on the desk, you find two in particular that catch your eyes. One is a rough map of the Varisian coastline with the rough location of Sandpoint circled. A note next to Sandpoint reads: "Hellstorm Flume Ruins - Foundation stones from each would know where the traitor Xaliasa dwelt, and perhaps where he hid his key to the Runeforge." (See handouts for this document)

The second document is a half-written letter, addressed to one "Ceoptra". After a brief update on the status of the giant army, Mokmurian has written: "Once we've secured the key, I will be returning to Xin-Shalast. The library here is extensive, but still inadequate for my needs. Will there be rune giants ready for my use in several weeks? I have been promised at least three. - Mokmurian"


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 9 / Trapper 2 | hp 71/71 | AC21 T15 FF 17 CMD 21 | Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10 (+1 vsTraps) | Init +4 | Perc +19 (+3 vsTraps) D.D +25 (+2 vsTraps) Darkvision 60ft | Move 30 Ft | Condition:
Spoiler:
Blessing: 7/7, Fervor 3d6 7/7, Sacred Weapon 4/9, Sacred Armor 9/9

"So, it is back to Sandpoint once we are done here. We need to find that key before they try to get it again with an even stronger force."


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

Perusing the documents, Ziva's eyes narrow at the names 'Xaliasa' and 'Ceoptra' as she commits them to memory. "It seems Sandpoint sits atop a site called the Hellstorm Flume--an ominous name. Perhaps a weapon of some kind? Colvyn's correct that we should return with all due haste...but there may be more to learn yet in this old fortress."

Guiness wrote:
”Do we trust Conna enough to give her some of these papers so she can consolidate her leadership of the clan?”

Ziva shrugs. "She helped us, and seems genuinely uninterested in Mokmurian's agenda of conquest as a catspaw for this Karzoug--I'd wager she and the other giants don't know about him, by the by. If the other giants will accept her leadership and she doesn't seek war, who are we to argue?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”So, taking what we found here and giving enough of the papers—or copies thereof—to Conna so she can unravel some of Mokmurian’s plans and set the giants on hopefully a more peaceful path. After that, we head to the freed prisoners and escort them back to Sandpoint. Sounds reasonable to me,” says Guiness.

”And if more of these foes want to fly just out of reach, I am going to need a way to fly as well, or at least a powerful thrown weapon to use,” the dwarf adds, rubbing his sore hip where he landed after unsuccessfully jumping onto Mokmurian during the battle.


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)

Kellek of course consults the library in his head to make sense of the giant's patron's name, the Flume, rune giants and any other clues found amid the documents. He then uses magic to help identify any enchanted items. Also, he casts about for the Mokmurian's spellbook starting with his library.
He takes 10 on all appropriate rolls.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Kellek reflects on the names and concepts the party just heard about, recalling a few bits and pieces from his earlier readings. He knows that Karzoug was an ancient Thassilonian ruler known as the Runelord of Greed. An Azlanti human by bloodline, he was a tremendously powerful individual who was known as the most gifted manipulator of transmutation magic in all of Thassilon. It was said that he lived for hundreds of years, ruling from his seat of power in a region known as Shalast within the Thassilonian empire over 10,000 years ago.

As for Xin-Shalast, Kellek recognizes the name as that of a legendary lost city, rumored to be hidden somewhere in the Kodar Mountains. The stories hold that Xin-Shalast had gold streets and gemstone buildings and sat under the gaze of a mountain that could see. Kellek has also read that it was one of seven capital cities of the Thassilonian empire of ancient times, sitting at the headwaters of the sacred River Avah, which Varisian folklore in the modern day says led to an earthly paradise sacred to Desna. Unfortunately no record of where this river may have once flowed exists today, and most scholars believe the river was destroyed during Earthfall.

Kellek recognizes the name "Hellstorm Flume" as another legacy of ancient Thassilon. These were defensive fortifications of that era, said to be a nexus of destructive arcane power. Their locations and other details have largely been lost to history.

For all these topics, Kellek recognizes that despite his exceptional intellect and thorough knowledge, a properly equipped archive or library would likely be able to shed even more light on any of these topics.

Kellek, see the loot from Mokmurian for his spellbook.
For everyone, where to next?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Coughing a bit, Guiness says, ”I could use some healing—and we should probably clear this level in case Mokmurian has any more allies down here—what do you think?”

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

While he is waiting for the others to contemplate his suggestion, Guiness goes to the unexplored door at the top of the stairs and listens for any noises behind it.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Guiness doesn't hear anything of note behind the western door, and a light knock gives off a dull sound. He opens the door and a small avalanche of dirt and loose rock greets him, though he's able to step out of the way before her can get battered. It seems the whole passage belong has been intentionally filled in with rubble and dirt.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”Huh,” says Guiness, ”Guess we aren’t headed that way.”

”If I am right, there may be a secret door over here,” he adds, moving to the suspicious recessed wall opposite where a door is in the main hallway.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"I would prefer to avoid further bloodshed, if possible." Mouth twisting in distaste, Ziva retrieves the head of Mokmurian from where it fell against the wall. "Still, you're right that we should continue our search of the place. Perhaps there's something useful on this Karzoug character."

Jointing the dwarf over by the wall, the knight raps the stone with her knuckles, then shrugs and moves on.
Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17


CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

Channel: 5d6 ⇒ (3, 2, 2, 1, 6) = 14

Astrid steps to Guinness's side, checking his injuries with a concerned expression before looking to the others. "Closer than I'd have liked, if I'm honest. How are we all feeling?"

AKA, what's everyone's HP and conditions?


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 9 / Trapper 2 | hp 71/71 | AC21 T15 FF 17 CMD 21 | Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10 (+1 vsTraps) | Init +4 | Perc +19 (+3 vsTraps) D.D +25 (+2 vsTraps) Darkvision 60ft | Move 30 Ft | Condition:
Spoiler:
Blessing: 7/7, Fervor 3d6 7/7, Sacred Weapon 4/9, Sacred Armor 9/9

Current status: 17 dmg, 1 condmg, reduced

"I've felt better, and taller." Thinking back at the path they took to come here. "I think we skipped a few doors on the way here. I am starting to be low on spells however, so I don't know if we should rest first."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”I would feel better resting with the rescued prisoners to reduce the chance of them being attacked without our protection,” says Guiness.

Coughing up a bit of greenish phlegm, Guiness adds, ”I think those zombies gave me some kind of disease.”

(After that channel, Guiness has 3x latent disease, 59 hp damage, 2 Con damage)


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 9 / Trapper 2 | hp 71/71 | AC21 T15 FF 17 CMD 21 | Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10 (+1 vsTraps) | Init +4 | Perc +19 (+3 vsTraps) D.D +25 (+2 vsTraps) Darkvision 60ft | Move 30 Ft | Condition:
Spoiler:
Blessing: 7/7, Fervor 3d6 7/7, Sacred Weapon 4/9, Sacred Armor 9/9

"Wouldn't that mean passing that shrinking room again?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”Maybe if we walk through the other direction it will make us bigger again,” says Guiness, breaking into a loud guffaw that barks into a wet cough.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Ziva and Guiness feel out the odd alcove to the south end of the room. The rock here is perfectly smooth, but neither of them spot any kind of seam or hidden lever that might allow a door to open or slide aside. Despite its odd appearance, it appears to be a solid stone wall.


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)
Brother_Guiness wrote:
Coughing a bit, Guiness says, ”I could use some healing—and we should probably clear this level in case Mokmurian has any more allies down here—what do you think?”

"You should endeavor to be more careful."

Ziva Vilcek wrote:
"I would prefer to avoid further bloodshed, if possible." Mouth twisting in distaste, Ziva retrieves the head of Mokmurian from where it fell against the wall. "Still, you're right that we should continue our search of the place. Perhaps there's something useful on this Karzoug character."

"Well that looks awkward. Now that he's healed I'm sure Guiness can help you with that."

If encumbrance is a thing, the giant's head probably weighs close to 100 lbs.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Turning to regard the taciturn mage now that he has chosen to speak, Guiness says, "Eh, there is always risk in combat, and I seem to have caught some kind of contagion. Hopefully it will go away on its own, or we may find magic capable of healing it."

"If there is no secret door here, then we should go back to that main hallway and see what is behind the nearby door," suggest Guiness. Once people are done looking around in the current room, he suits words to action and goes to check out the hallway door.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17

(Is there an opening to another room at the wall feature I have circled in orange on the map? If there is, Guiness will search that first)


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Nope, that splotch that you circled is just a map artifact.

Guiness returns to the grand corridor, with its looming ceiling and intricately carved walls and stone support beams. To the west, the hall ends at an immense bronze double door that bears a mirrorlike silver inlay of the ubiquitous seven-pointed star. The doors to the north that Guiness has arrived at have much simpler ornamentation and more mundane handles. He opens the door with some difficulty due to their tremendous weight. Beyond lie a second set of doors, these dusty and bearing words in ancient Thassilonian on a worn plaque.

Thassilonian:
"Quiet please, lecture in progress."

Opening this second set of doors only reveals a smooth stone wall.


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"Odd choice," Ziva observes when the wall is revealed. "Something sealed up on the other side, perhaps?"


CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

"Almost certainly," Astrid agrees, chewing her lip in thought. "But how to get through?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Note that directly behind the wall you just revealed is the room that you fought Mokmurian in. So if there's something sealed up, it's in that 5-ft thick chunk of stone before reaching the other room.


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

Ah, thank you for clarifying.

"Maybe he just liked his privacy. Let's move on," Ziva moves off down the hall to the next pair of double doors. "Perhaps we'll have more luck here?"

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (6) + 16 = 22


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

The doors at the end of the hall are the immense and elaborately inlaid bronze doors that have dominated this hall since you first stepped into it. While these doors don't have any obvious hinges, handles or locks, they do have a single tiny star-shaped indentation at the center of the decorative inlay on each side of the doors. Ziva's inspection of the doors leads her to conclude that they're incredibly sturdy - far sturdier than something made of bronze should be.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Do we have the key needed for this door? Surely we have picked up a seven-pointed star unholy symbol at some point.

Moving up to join Ziva, Guiness says, "This looks like the same symbol we have seen multiple places. Do you think one of the medallions with the star shape on it might open these doors?"


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Indeed, what do you guys want to try on the door?


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

I have not written a sihedron on my gear, and I don't think Ziva would want to carry one around, but we likely could have gotten one from the Lamia, right? Worst case scenario we have to risk the shrink room to go back for them.


CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

I imagine we would have looted it along with everything else she was carrying, but it just didn't get assigned to anyone in particular. Let's try it!

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Guiness searches his gear for the star-shaped medallion and encourages the other to do so as well. Assuming they find one, Guiness will volunteer to take it and put it into the recess on the huge doors to see what happens.


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

When Guiness touches the star-shaped medallion to the depression in the door, the doors begin to gleam with a white light. A voice emits from the doors, speaking in ancient Thassilonian "Welcome, seeker of knowledge, disciple of greed." before they slowly swing themselves open.

The massive circular room beyond is brightly lit by dozens of glowing crystal lanterns hanging on fine chains from the domed ceiling sixty feet above. The walls of the room are carved with more runes and sigils, while overstuffed wood-and-leather chairs and polished oak tables surround a thirty-foot wide shaft in the floor. Inside the shaft are thousands of tiny openings, each one wide enough only for the book, scroll or tablet that it holds.

As you take this in, a bronze, metallic humanoid figure stirs in one of the chairs. It squeaks and creaks as it hops to its feet and scuttles over to the doorway. (See handouts for a pic!) Small puffs of black smoke emit from a pipe on its side. In a tinny voice it exclaims in Thassilonian "Distinguished guests! Please enter, enter. Which volume of lore would you like to peruse today? There are currently 24491 volumes, scrolls, pamphlets and unbound manuscripts available. Indicate your wish by author, title, subject, or date of acquisition by the Therassic Monastery."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

Unable to understand what the construct is saying, Guiness steps forward protectively, then asks quietly to the others, ”Does anyone speak this language?”


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

Shrugging at Guiness, Ziva sheathes her sword and addresses the strange clockwork creature in Draconic and Celestial in turn.

>>"Greetings, I'm afraid I am a traveler from afar and do not speak your tongue. Could you please repeat yourself?"


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

The clockwork creature turns to Ziva and replies in accented Draconic "Distinguished guest, be aware that per Monastery policy 3A-IIB, all requests shall be made in the greater tongue. Monastery staff would like to remind you that the greater tongue is the official lingua franca of the Therassic Monastery and it's use is strongly encouraged while on the grounds." It switches back to Thassilonian afterward and repeats its initial greeting.


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"Hmm, this place is called the Therassic Monastery. If we want more than that it demands we ask in "the greater tongue". I wonder how long that language has been dead in the wider world."

Keeping a wary eye on the clockwork (she'll stop if it yells at her or chases her etc etc) Ziva slowly makes her way to the column where the tomes are stored, examining them without touching for fear of magical defenses of some sort.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)

In awe of the vast amounts of knowledge that might lay within Kellek floats in and lands. His eyes grow wide, and his mouth gapes as he looks about like a religious fanatic entering the holiest of his sect's holy temples.

Ziva Vilcek wrote:
"Hmm, this place is called the Therassic Monastery. If we want more than that it demands we ask in "the greater tongue". I wonder how long that language has been dead in the wider world."

"Long. Very, very long." Kellek says not looking at Ziva.

GM Cellion wrote:
[The librarian repeats it's initial greeting] "Welcome, seeker of knowledge, disciple of greed." before they slowly swing themselves open.

Kellek translates for the party and then whispers something to himself, as an aside.

whispers (perception DC 15 + 1 for each 10' of distance):
"I'm more of a 'pride' person myself."

GM Cellion wrote:

The massive circular room beyond is brightly lit by dozens of glowing crystal lanterns hanging on fine chains from the domed ceiling sixty feet above. The walls of the room are carved with more runes and sigils, while overstuffed wood-and-leather chairs and polished oak tables surround a thirty-foot wide shaft in the floor. Inside the shaft are thousands of tiny openings, each one wide enough only for the book, scroll or tablet that it holds.

As you take this in, a bronze, metallic humanoid figure stirs in one of the chairs. It squeaks and creaks as it hops to its feet and scuttles over to the doorway. (See handouts for a pic!) Small puffs of black smoke emit from a pipe on its side. In a tinny voice it exclaims in Thassilonian "Distinguished guests! Please enter, enter. Which volume of lore would you like to peruse today? There are currently 24491 volumes, scrolls, pamphlets and unbound manuscripts available. Indicate your wish by author, title, subject, or date of acquisition by the Therassic Monastery."

Kellek attempts to guess how this ancient Dewey decimal system might work. "It might be best to begin at the beginning." then in Thassilonian he says to the librarian "Show us your earliest acquired work."

While the librarian is presumably at its work, Kellek thinks back to any Thassilonian-sounding names the party might have come upon during the course of their adventures.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

The clockwork clerk dutifully scurries down the walls of the shaft to retrieve a truly ancient looking tattered scroll sealed in a clear case. Through the thick glass you can see faded script of some language even more ancient than Thassilonian. The clerk chirps up with (speaking in Thassilonian) "The records state that it is believed to have been a transcript of a dispute between a neighbors in the city of Ganugsau, within the Cyclopean empire of Ghol-gan. It is available only for observation, and cannot be removed from the archives."


Male Ratfolk Warpriest 9 / Trapper 2 | hp 71/71 | AC21 T15 FF 17 CMD 21 | Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10 (+1 vsTraps) | Init +4 | Perc +19 (+3 vsTraps) D.D +25 (+2 vsTraps) Darkvision 60ft | Move 30 Ft | Condition:
Spoiler:
Blessing: 7/7, Fervor 3d6 7/7, Sacred Weapon 4/9, Sacred Armor 9/9

Colvyn will just lean against the door frame and waits for the rest of the group to be ready.


LG fm human Deliverer7/Crimson-Templar5 l hp 136/136 l AC25 (T15, FF22) l F +15, R +11, W +10, Ini +2 l CMB +18 CMD31 l Perc +17, SM +17 l Active Buffs/Conditions: (none)

"Hmm," Ziva muses as the wizard translates the gist. "Ask it about Hellstorm Flumes and this Karzoug person--the former was probably a military secret though we might get lucky, but unless this place was before Karzoug's time there should be records of rulers and great people of the nation, right?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf | LG Fighter 8 Stalwart Defender 4 | Speed 20 | Initiative +2 | AC: 31 (Touch 17), DR 3/- | Hp: 144 | Fort: +13, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+2 vs. Fear, +2 vs. Poison, Spell, Spell-like) | CMD: 33 (+2 Disarm, +4 Bull Rush, Trip) | | Melee +16/+11/+6 Warhammer+1: 1d8+1d6+17, +8 Cold Iron Dwarven Boulder Headbutt 1d4+6, Smash (DS Only) +9/1d4+7, Ranged +15/+10/+5 Thrown Hammer 1d4+5 | CMB: +16 | Perception +16, Sense Motive +5, Acrobatics +4 (+6 Balance,+5 Jump), Climb +4, Handle Animal +3, Dungeoneering/Engineering +4, Religion/Nature/Geography/History/Nobility +1, Linguistics +3, Metalcraft +19, Survival +5, Swim +4, Soldier +11

”This is going to take a while,” says Guiness with a harumph. He finds a place to sit and opens up his cask, pouring a flagon for himself with a shot of the pale ale chaser from his holy symbol flask.

CLW healing from the shot: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

50 Hp down, 2 points Con damage, Diseased


Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

For each specific topic you'd like to ask about that relates to ancient Thassilon, for example Hellstorm Flumes or Karzoug, you can use the archive here to make a new KN History check with a +30 bonus. It takes several hours of research each time to make a check this way. You can't take 10 or 20. Increase the bonus of this check by 1 for every 2 ranks of KN history you have, reflecting your improved ability to conduct research.

The clerk dutifully scurries about gathering tomes and documents as the questions - if properly asked - begin to come in.


N Male Human (Keleshite/Ulfen) Wizard (exploiter) 12 | hp 46/62 (max 46)| AC 14 {17}, T 13, FF 12 {15} | CMD 19 | F +6, R +8, W +12 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnArc +18, Kn(Dun, His, Loc, Nat, Pla, Rel) +16, Kn(Others) +11, Perc +12, SensM +12, Scrft +20 | arc reservoir 9/15 | magic missile wand 26/38 | -1 penalty to Con (2 damage) | ext mage armor, overland flight, hunter's blessing (mnt, giants)

Kellek sets to work with a relish not seen before.

Given time Kellek, conducts research. Depending how long it takes he will set up a Kellek's secure shelter somewhere it will fit afterward. If there's more daylight to burn though he will conduct further research until he is physically restrained or rendered unconscious and removed from the area.

Knowledge (history, Hellstorm Flumes): 1d20 + 16 + 38 ⇒ (16) + 16 + 38 = 70
Knowledge (history, Karzoug): 1d20 + 16 + 38 ⇒ (19) + 16 + 38 = 73 Let's hope those rolls are enough. ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Changeling Cleric (Herald Caller) of Pulura 5; Stargazer 7 | 68/68 HP | AC23 T14 FF20 | CMD21 | F +9 R +10 W +16 (+2 vs MA) | SR 18 | Spd 40 | Init +3 | Perc +24 | Bluff +22, Diplomacy +28, Fly +7, Geography +15, Handle Animal +11, Lore (Blood Hags) +12, Perception +25, Planes +9, Sense Motive +25, Survival +12 | Elysium's Call 9/9 | Holy Lance 2/2 | Channel 6/6 | Active Conditions: 1 Con Dmg

Astrid tries to fight down a grin at the sight of Kellek's excitement, but fails. Eventually, though, even this amusement fades and she busies herself with tending to her comrades.

Remove Disease for Guinness: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16 bleh

CLW for Guinness: 1d8 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24
CMW for Guiness: 2d8 + 22 ⇒ (3, 3) + 22 = 28 Should put you at full.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Seaweed Leshy Technomancer 1 / Game Master 3 | Maps: (RotRL Handouts) | (RotRL Maps) | (DoF Handouts) | (DoF Maps) | (DA Maps)

Oops, I wasn't quite clear enough. The +30 is in place of any of your own bonuses, though you do get the additional scaling bonus for every two ranks of KN History. Still with those rolls, you're in good shape!

Using the extensive library archives, you're able to properly research the Hellstorm Flumes over several hours. You learn that they were ancient defensive fortifications constructed under the auspices of the Thassilonian Runelord known as Alaznist. These magical towers stood at the border between Alaznist's empire and that of the Runelord Karzoug, and their peaks were crowned with a constant vortex of arcane fire that the Flume's commander could direct outward to immolate whole armies that dared to approach. They stood for hundreds of years, keeping Karzoug's forces at bay, until a great flood inundated Alaznist's entire empire and took the Flumes with it. Connecting the dots, it appears these Flumes once stood along what is now Varisia's coastline. It appears that at their height, they housed a contingent of Alaznist's soldiers, were staffed by sorcerer-captains and demon-worshipping clerics and were commanded by hand-picked mages from Alaznist's personal guard.

As for Karzoug, the tomes have almost too much to say about the Runelord of Greed. Much of the contents is so overblown and self-congratulatory that it almost seems like he commissioned the writings himself. But in between grand ballads penned in his honor, you find a treasure trove of facts as well.

The Runelord Karzoug was the Thassilonian Empire's true master of transmutation magic, and was the lord of the region known as Shalast, over 10,000 years ago. His armies were composed primarily of giants who followed his every command—the giants were ruled by towering monsters known as rune giants, who were themselves the Runelord's pawns. Karzoug counted other powerful creatures as his allies as well, such as blue dragons, eerie denizens from the nightmare realm of Leng, blood drinking outsiders known as scarlet walkers, and immense lamia harridans who towered over most other creatures.

In Thassilonian times, the school of transmutation was intricately associate with the virtue of wealth. Under Karzoug's rule though, this virtue of rule became more associated with the sin of greed. Among the runelords, his mastery of greed magic was uncontested, yet in the schools of illusion and enchantment (related to the sins of pride and lust), his skills had atrophied greatly. Many believed that weapons infused with illusion and enchantment magic, known as “dominant weapons,” would be particularly potent against Karzoug, yet no record of someone attacking the runelord with such a weapon exists within the library.

Karzoug warred with his neighbors, but none more so than Alaznist, the Runelord of Wrath and ruler of Bakrakhan. Between their nations, along a ridge known as the Rasp, Karzoug built immense sentinel statues to watch over Bakrakhan, while Alaznist built her own fortifications in response. Citizens of both nations worried that the war between Karzoug and Alaznist would soon escalate to the point where they could bring about the end of the world. However, it appears such a thing never happened, as the most recent records speak of a shared plan between the Runelords to enter a state of suspended animation in response to an incoming cataclysm.

---

In the mean time, Astrid finds herself unable to purge Guiness' lingering affliction, whatever it is.

8,151 to 8,200 of 8,440 << first < prev | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Revival of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.