Navior's Age of Worms (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


1,851 to 1,900 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

Although the healing is only minimal, it does give Udaya a small boost of life. She attacks the warrior in front of her, her sword cutting right through the chest plate of the armour. A gust of wind hits her in the face and the armour falls to the floor, splitting into several pieces. The warrior's two swords dissolve away into dust and then are gone. (Her hit roll was one higher and she did 11 points of damage, as she has the +1 from Venedictus's song.)

Dara then tears into the other one, smashing her axe into its side. She does hefty damage to it, but does not yet bring it down.

Up Next: Fredrik, Bear, Wind Warrior, Venedictus, Udaya, Dara.

Map Cairn4 Updated


Fredrik shouts, "C'mon Udaya, I just need a clear shot here!" He decides to try to distract the lone warrior, hopefully giving Bear a chance to finish it off.

Attack Blinding Ray to hit Ranged Touch 1d20 + 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 2 + 1 - 4 = 17 inspire courage, melee.
As a standard action you can fire a shimmering ray at any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The ray causes creatures to be blinded for 1 round. Creatures with more Hit Dice than your wizard level are dazzled for 1 round instead.

Hmm it seems it was a misreading of the ability, and adding the INT bonus (+5) to the attack roll. Anyway, it was wishful thinking, as nothing in the PRD shows it. Edited the attack roll above.


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:

Fredrik shouts, "C'mon Udaya, I just need a clear shot here!" He decides to try to distract the lone warrior, hopefully giving Bear a chance to finish it off.

Attack Blinding Ray to hit Ranged Touch 1d20+7+1 inspire courage.
As a standard action you can fire a shimmering ray at any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The ray causes creatures to be blinded for 1 round. Creatures with more Hit Dice than your wizard level are dazzled for 1 round instead.

I'm curious where your +7 attack bonus is coming from. I get +2 (+1 BAB, +1 Dex). That would give 18 + 2 + 1 - 4 (firing into melee) = 17. It still hits regardless, but you should double-check your calculations there.

The beam shoots into the visor of the warrior. It shakes its head/helmet in an almost human manner. It is dazzled.

Just then Bear completes his spell and grows, doubling in size.

Next Up: Bear, Wind Warrior, Venedictus, Udaya, Dara, Fredrik.

I'm having trouble uploading the updated map. Will hopefully have it up soon.


Map Cairn4 Updated


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Sorry folks, I was really unclear - got a bit tangled up with fluff description and didn't include mechanics. Venedictus had cast his new spell Inspirational Boost (which is a swift action to cast) which makes his inspire courage +2 instead of +1 for one round. All those attacks and damages should be 1 higher.


BeAr road mightily as he grows to monstrous proportions, but when his eyes hungrily sweep the room for foes, he's frustrated to find only one remaining. "Damn! he swears as he charges in, arcanically charged blade swinging.

Now enlarged-woohoo! Charge the final wind-warrior (if there's room - I don't have access to the map currently).
Arcane strike charge 1d20 + 7 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 7 + 2 + 2 = 19 charge, inspire.
Damage 2d6 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1) + 8 + 2 = 15.

My AC is only 12 currently, but I should have reach on the guy.


Lol. Actually, AC is currently 10 b/c of charge. eep!


Bear can't charge immediately because Fredrik and Venedictus are now in front of him, blocking his way. You could "squeeze" along the north part of the platform and get up close enough to attack, although you'd have a -4 penalty to the attack roll because of squeezing. Alternatively, you could yell at Vene and Fred to get out of the way and ready an action to charge once they've cleared the way. The downside to this is the warrior will have had another turn by then and it's quite a while until Fredrik has his next action. Udaya and Dara may have taken the warrior down by then if it hasn't taken them down.


Ok. Then I guess I'll wait. Stacking penalties til I can't hit isn't really much of an option at all, is it? :)

Switch the above attack to a Readied Arcane Strike Charge - which will trigger off of me actually having a clear lane through which to charge.

"FREDDY! VENNY! GET OUT OF THE WAY!"


Freddie nods at the enlarged form behind him, Always an impatient one...

Freddie will move off the platform, in front of Pup, as part of his previous action, if that is OK? If not, then he will move next round.


Fredrik "Flash" Williams wrote:

Freddie nods at the enlarged form behind him, Always an impatient one...

Freddie will move off the platform, in front of Pup, as part of his previous action, if that is OK? If not, then he will move next round.

Technically, you should have stated that at the time, but I'll allow it in this case since it's so soon after his action.

The remaining warrior attacks Dara.

Wind warrior longsword 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Wind warrior longsword 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

One of its swords cuts into her. I'm not sure if she's still up at this point, or if there's been enough damage to take her down. I'll let Dara fill in the details herself.

Next Up: Venedictus, Udaya, Dara, Fredrik, Bear (readied action pending), Wind Warrior.

Map Cairn4 Updated


Venny, heal her and hop out of the way? :)


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Ignore that bit earlier about the extra bonus. Inspirational Boost is not a sanctioned spell for this gane. Switching it out.

If Venedictus is adjacent to Dara, he'll hit her with a cure light and then move; otherwise, she'll channel excluding the warriors and move.

Cure light: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Or

Channel: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Dara would have been taken to -1 (which drops her rage) so she goes down to -5 currently... that's before Venny's heal.


Dara passes out from her injuries, but is stable at -1 thanks to Vene's CLW.

Edit: Actually, given the number of us who are injured, the channel makes more sense here. Dara should be at -2 in that case.


We'll say he channeled then.

The heavenly music blends with Venedictus's inspire courage song, providing much-needed healing to all and stabilizing Dara. Venedictus then scurries out of the way of Bear.

As soon as the way is clear, Bear charges in, bringing down his now much large sword swinging over Udaya's head and down beside the warrior's head, cutting into where its shoulder should be. It stumbles, but still stands.

ROUND 4

Next Up: Udaya, Dara (unconscious), Fredrik, Wind Warrior, Bear, Venedictus.

Map Cairn4 Updated


UDAYA

Udaya shifts to try to get to her opponent's backside an takes another hard swing at the air-man, desperately trying to take it down.

5'step into the square of the downed guard.
Standard Action - Single Hit (scimitar crit: 18+/x2):
To Hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Unfortunately, Udaya stumbles on the downed warrior's armour and her swing goes too wide.

Next Up: Fredrik, Wind Warrior, Bear, Venedictus, Udaya, Dara (unconscious).

Map Cairn4 Updated


Freddie curses again, he noticed he is getting quite good at it. He mutters a quick spell.

cast Acid Splash ranged touch to hit, 1d20 + 2 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 1 - 4 = 8 inspiration, melee
Damage 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 inspiration


Geez, what happened to our rolls?!

Bear yells in frustration, hoping to draw the ire of the (now) small elemental.


I just realized I forgot the -1 penalty to the wind warrior's attacks last round due to being dazzled. However, it doesn't make a difference to the attack that hit.

Fredrik's acid splash flies too far to the left, passes the warrior, and goes over the edge of the platform.

The warrior, perhaps sensing Udaya's intentions and ignoring Bear's yell, takes a step back as far as Udaya moved up, then attacks her.

Wind warrior longsword 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Wind warrior longsword 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
It continues its trend of one miss, one hit.

It lands another nasty blow on Udaya and takes her down (unless I'm hugely mistaken).

Next Up: Bear, Venedictus, Udaya (unconscious), Dara (unconscious), Fredrik, Wind Warrior.

Map Cairn4 Updated


HellCat's fall drives Bear's rage to near uncontrollable levels, and he takes one step forward. His blade cuts viciously but carelessly at the frustratingly resilient defender.

5' step forward.
Arcane Strike 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 1 = 18; inspire
Damage 2d6 + 7 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3, 3) + 7 + 1 + 1 = 15; Arcane Strike, inspire


Bear's large blade ferociously cuts into his opponent. The warrior wobbles for a moment, and then there is an explosion of wind and the armour drops to the floor of the platform. The two swords begin to fall but disintegrate before they hit the floor.


And I think Udaya is at -3, though I may have missed something somewhere.

No sooner does the opponent vanish than Bear drops his blade, picking up one woman in each hand gingerly and hustling them over to Venny and kneeling down in front of him (still in huge form), "Do that musical, thing, man! They need some help!"


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:
And I think Udaya is at -3, though I may have missed something somewhere.

I just went back through the battle. She took 8, 11, and 11 points of damage, and was healed 3, 3, and 1. She started with 20 hp, so your calculation of -3 is correct.


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus channels again, several times.

1d6 ⇒ 6
1d6 ⇒ 2
1d6 ⇒ 3
1d6 ⇒ 3
1d6 ⇒ 2
1d6 ⇒ 5
1d6 ⇒ 5

"I think I can do that a couple more times before I need to pray again."


Do you intend to continue what you were trying to do before the wind warriors appeared (checking out the central air column)?


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1
Navior wrote:
Do you intend to continue what you were trying to do before the wind warriors appeared (checking out the central air column)?

Yeah, somebody push the dwarf in.


As the group recovers, Bear stands and moves to Venny, "Thanks, Venny." He the moves towards the funnel, testing its strength. If he feels he's in danger of being pulled in, he'll stop approaching, not wishing to be sucked in just yet.

"I'm more than a little annoyed that there's nothing scavenge-able in here." he mutters as he reaches out, feeling the air around the funnel.


The air around the funnel feels perfectly normal. The wind swirling around inside the funnel does not extend beyond the funnel's edge. This creates a very strange sensation. Your mind knows that you should be feeling at least a little wind, that your hair should be blowing and so on. But you can't feel a thing and that just makes you feel weird.


Navior wrote:
... that your hair should be blowing and so on.

Is this a shot?! :) Though I guess you could have been talking about Bear's masculine arm/chest hair.

"What do you guys think? We don't know where this thing leads..." his eyes follow the funnel up through the ceiling, "... other than up, anyway. I have to admit to being highly curious about where it leads, but I'm not sure taking a ride on this wind thingy is the brightest idea."


"I suspect we need to go up, where the wind warriors came from, to find where the treasure is." Fredrik adds with a smirk. "Once the ladies are ready to go, I suggest we see what's up there."

Knowledge Arcana, 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25 for tunnel effects


"Thanks for the healin' Vene. Now uh... what was ya gonna have me do again?"


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus gestures towards the funnel. "Ladies, at least, ladies with magical feather fall rings, first."


"Actually, in this case, I think it makes sense to not send Dara in alone. I'll go with her. I can use the same trick if I need to."

Unless Dara has an objection, I'd say she and Bear step into the funnel together. You know what they say, what happens in the funnel...


Dara looks up at the big man then glances over at Udaya. "Alright, just don't go gettin' any funny ideas. This ain't the funnel o' love..."

Dara will hop in as soon as Bear is ready.


Dara and Bear step into the column of air and although the wind seems to rage around them, it's surprisingly comfortable. The gusts of wind gently raise them up the ceiling and then through a hole into a new chamber.

Opposite the pillar of air three short stairs lead up to a white marble sarcophagus identical to the one in the room with the coloured lanterns far below, complete with a sculpted humanoid figure carved into the lid. A beautifully carved bas-relief on the wall near the sarcophagus depicts the same figure as a bald, androgynous warrior wearing a simple ancient garment and wielding a might longsword. To the warrior's left stands a cloaked demoniac figure with two long curved horns tipped in darkest red. The horned figure holds a device composed of a handle and small loop, seemingly using it to control a globe of absolute blackness about two feet in diameter. This globe touches the bald warrior, who raises his arms in surprise. The warrior is depicted as if fading from sight. A slim diadem upon his brow bears and elaborate glyph identical to one carved upon an amulet worn by the figure on the sarcophagus lid.

Bear Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Dara Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16 +2 stone, +1 traps

Knowledge (arcana) DC 15:
The black globe is undoubtedly a sphere of annihilation, a legendary item that completely erases from existence anything that touches it. A sphere of annihilation can only be controlled by a magic item called a talisman of the sphere, which is presumably represented by the item being wielded by the demoniac figure in the bas-relief.


KNowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19.

Bear grunts and mutters under his breath, the oppressive quiet of the room weighing on his mood, "The demon-guy's using a Sphere of Annihilation." he says, pointing to the sphere, then moves to point to the staff-thing in the demon's hand, "and that's how it's controlled. Talisman of the Sphere."

When Dara looks at him questioningly, he shrugs defensively, "I read it in my book, i think. We should see if the others can come up here with us."


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

As soon as it is clear that the air-evator works, UU gives the boys a wink and hops into it backwards. She laughs with delight as it carries her up.

I'm back. :) Thanks for not getting UU killed!


Male Human Cleric 1/Bard 1

Venedictus smirks at Fredrik. "I hope this thing has enough power..."
He steps in after Udaya.


Udaya, Venedictus, and presumably Fredrik and Pup ride the air column up to the new room.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the map has been updated, so...

Map Cairn4 Updated
This room is offset on the map in the bottom right corner.


Yeah Freddie took the elevator, goin' up, he he.

Once Freddie sets Pup down, he looks at the room, and stares at Vene, an unreadable look on his face. He mutters, "Boy, somewhat anticlimatic I would say."

Cast Detect Magic


Fredrik detects a magical aura coming from the bas-relief, another aura from the sarcophagus, and two more from inside the sarcophagus.

Bas-relief, faint aura, Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 -- illusion
Sarcophagus, strong aura, Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12 -- cannot determine school
Aura 1 inside sarcophagus, moderate aura, Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 -- transmutation
Aura 2 inside sarcophagus, strong aura, Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20 -- cannot determine school


Freddie points out the auras to everyone else. "I think there are some powerful magic items here, Bear can you help here?"


"A-Yep"

Detect Magic
Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19.


Beargle "Bear" Zstellian wrote:

"A-Yep"

Detect Magic
Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 7
Knowledge: Arcana 1d20 + 7.

Bear is also unable to determine the schools of those two auras.


HP: 25/25 | AC:17 ; T:16 ; FF:14 ; CMD:21 | Fort:+4 ; Ref:+6 ; Will:+7 | Init:+2 ; PER:+8

Assuming Freddie tells us what schools he detected...

UU sweeps the room for Evil and speculates, "Perhaps the illusion on the relief is like the ones downstairs. If we get close enough maybe it will illustrate another bit of the story... or maybe Acid-Spitting Moderately Evil Devil Monkeys will jump out of the sarcophogus. Either way - it's a win." She laughs but doesn't proceed any further into the room, yet.


Ya know, at some point, I'm gonna have to go back and re-read this thread... just for giggles.

"There better be somethin' ridiculously awesome in that sarcophagus... and ridiculously expensive. Dara, you wanna go see if it's trapped. Ya know... in a regular non-magical trap way?"


"Hell, why not? You gunna tell me if ya see anything magicky, or should I just expect Vene to patch me up ag'in?"

Dara approaches the stone sarcophagus and gives it the once-over for traps.
Perception 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 2 + 1 = 26 stone, traps


Dara ascends the short flight of stairs to the dais. As she reaches the top, the bas-relief warrior comes to life and looks down at her. It speaks.

Auran:
"Speak my name."

1,851 to 1,900 of 2,094 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Age of Worms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.