DM Carbide's PFS Emerald Spire

Game Master John Woodford

Level 11: The Tomb of Yarrix

COMBAT MAP


4,851 to 4,889 of 4,889 << first < prev | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | next > last >>
The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 67/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Senja hex'd the red one in this post. I guess it doesn't matter terribly since Eva and Barsvald have the same AC right now.

Just so we have clarity: Blue and purple are the misfortunate ones right now?


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

Blue and magenta; I'd assumed that Senja started with that one because it appeared right next to him.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

I did hex the one that appeared right next to me. I guess they sort of switched positions after that happened, so I thought the two hexed ones were the ones closest to the door we entered through. But I see that in this post I said I hexed pink (aka, Magenta the Malevolent). Sorry for the confusion.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

Magenta retreated across the room and continued chanting, while Blue moved up to flank Asvald with Red.

I should have picked more distinctive colors for this, or used dashed borders. Also sorry for the confusion.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

I think Asvald still has to act this round.

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 67/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Returning to his less furry form, Asvald tries to take cover near Torque.

The wildshape isn't really helping right now so I'm going to drop it in favor of the AC bump. De-wildshape. 5-foot step. That'll get my AC to 25 again.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

The party retreats to regroup.

Round 4 (ongoing):

Initiative order
Creatures-acted
Senja-
Torque
Eva
Asvald-

Two of the elementals return to their original positions. The one continues its chant, while the other resumes its in unison with the first. The remaining elemental slams at Asvald; one fiery appendage misses, but the other connects for 14 HP, plus DC 16 Reflex save to avoid catching on fire.

Party up!

Dice rolls:
Slam to Asvald: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24
Slam to Asvald: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31

Slam damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (7) + (4) + 3 = 14

Shadowfire Elementals: AC 24 T 20 FF 17 HP taken--Blue 6 Red 0 Magenta 0

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 67/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Can someone soak up the AoO from red so I can get out? Asvald's reached his maximum capacity as a damage sponge.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

I see no reason why you can't pick the square you end up in when you go back to being human again; that and a 5' step should have put you far enough away that you can withdraw this round and avoid the AoO.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Once everyone is gathered in the hall with the statues, Senja observes, "Well, those things were nasty, and the way that room messed with our spells was awful! But at least the elementals seem to stay where they are. I wonder if we can get through the other door, to the east from here, and avoid whatever those things were. None of us are any good with locks, but maybe we can break it down? Unless someone has a better idea?"

I moved us all back to the previous room on the map, and indicated the door I'm talking about with a yellow arrow.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

You can still hear the chanting from down the hall.

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 67/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Asvald spends some time nursing his wounds.

CLW: 12d8 + 12 ⇒ (8, 7, 3, 6, 5, 1, 1, 7, 8, 6, 3, 1) + 12 = 68

When the party is ready to move back into the hallway, he whistles a powerful tune. Good hope!

"Let's give this another shot", the skald says boldly as he readies his blade again.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

The elementals are still chanting when you return, the Ignan syllables echoing through the chamber.

They won't attack unless you enter the room or attack them, so take a shot.

Grand Lodge

F Human Monk 8 [ HP 43/75 (13 NL) | AC 19 Tch 18 FF 17 | Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +10 | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +15, low-light vision | Ki: 10/13 | Effects: none ]

Eva will re-boop her mage armor before we start again. Anyone have CLW to spare? Eva's down 32.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Senja has a wand of infernal healing, if you don't mind a little evil in your day.

As Asvald casts good hope, Senja will cast haste, unless Torque can put up blessing of fervor.

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Torque has another Blessing of Fervor so he will use it.

Grand Lodge

F Human Monk 8 [ HP 43/75 (13 NL) | AC 19 Tch 18 FF 17 | Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +10 | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +15, low-light vision | Ki: 10/13 | Effects: none ]

Eva will go ahead and take three boops of infernal healing, assuming we're okay with waiting 3 minutes.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Sounds reasonable, Eva.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

Three minutes pass. The chanting in the other chamber has changed slightly in tenor...although the words are the same, there is a sense that the sound echoes into unfathomable distances.

Asvald fires his borrowed crossbow at the nearest elemental. The bolt goes wide, as does its return attack. It's within 10' of you, so it gets an AoO.

Crossbow shot: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Round 1 (ongoing):

Initiative order
Elementals-acted
Senja
Asvald
Eva
Torque

The elemental sidesteps to get a clearer attack on Asvald and lashes out at him. One fiery fist hits for 22 HP, plus DC 16 Reflex save or catch on fire. The other two elementals continue their chant.

Party up!

Dice rolls:
AoO: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21

Asvald Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Eva Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Senja Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Torque Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Elemental Initiative: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Attack on Asvald: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31
Attack on Asvald: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19

Damage to Asvald: 1d8 + 3 + 1d6 + 1d8 ⇒ (8) + 3 + (6) + (5) = 22

Shadowfire Elementals: AC 24 T 20 FF 17 HP taken--Blue 6 Red 0 Magenta 0

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 67/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Ouch! We're off to a great start.

Continuing his battle-chant, Asvald hacks at the first elemental.

Primary (good hope, inspire rage, power attack): 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (4) + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 = 19
Damage (good hope, inspire rage, power attack, arcane strike): 1d8 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 26

Iterative: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (3) + 10 + 2 + 1 - 3 = 13
Damage: 1d8 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 23

Fervor Attack: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (18) + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 = 33
Damage: 1d8 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 22

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Don’t have time for a proper post, but wanted to point out that Torque was going to shoot the crossbow over Asvald, so Asvald would have a melee weapon in hand when his turn came up.

Ninja’d, but the point stands.

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Torque will heal Asvald.

Converting invisibility purge into Cure Serious Wounds.

3d8 + 9 ⇒ (4, 2, 4) + 9 = 19


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

Asvald, the elemental has a 10' reach. If you want to attack it, you'll have to step into the room.

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 67/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Oops. I didn't look at the map. Fixed.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

Also see the Discussion thread.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Also, Carbide - can I tell if the elemental attacking Asvald is one that I Misfortuned previously? Maybe by its injuries? Or its distinctive hat? Or maybe witches can just tell...

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

I'm not sure if Asvald has actually moved into the room or is using a reach weapon that we scavenged, or if I can tell which elementals I have put Misfortune on already today, so I'm going to take a chance on something else:

Seeing the elementals rouse themselves in response to an errant crossbow bolt, Senja decides to try to turn the tables decisively. Ignoring the elementals for now, he conjures up a sphere of void-dark shadow, that seems to nullify all energy around it. With a flick of his wrist, he sends the sphere flying at the source of fire in the center of the room, trying to negate the counter-spell effect that so vexed him last time around.

Cast dispel magic at the fire in the center of the room, which I hope is also where the counter-spell is coming from.

Caster Level to Dispel: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 Yes!!! If that doesn't do it, I don't think I'm doing it at all.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

I'm going to stick to initiative order here.

Round 1 (ongoing):

Initiative order
Elementals-acted
Senja-acted
Asvald-acted
Eva
Torque-acted

The ball of shadow shrouds the central fire, contracting around it. With a hiss, the fires there and on the walls extinguish themselves. When Asvald steps into the room to attack the shadowfire elemental, nothing happens to the spells that are bolstering his fighting ability, although he only hits once.

Asvald, DC 22 Fort save or take 1 point of STR damage.

Torque heals the skald.

Eva can act!

Dice rolls:
Potential STR damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Shadowfire Elementals: AC 24 T 20 FF 17 HP taken--Blue 6 Red 17 Magenta 0

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Carbide - if you have a sec, can you tell me if Senja can tell the elementals apart enough to know which ones he has hexed before? I don't know if they all look pretty much the same, or have distinctive markings or something that would allow me to distinguish between them. If I can't tell them apart, it would affect my approach, since I don't want to try to hex any that will be unaffected. Thx.

Grand Lodge

F Human Monk 8 [ HP 43/75 (13 NL) | AC 19 Tch 18 FF 17 | Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +10 | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +15, low-light vision | Ki: 10/13 | Effects: none ]

Eva wonders what all that noise is around the corner, and stands ready to run up and help, or run away, as needed. Delay.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

Senja, it's not possible to tell them apart, but you know that the two you hexed previously were across the room when you left. If they didn't shift while you were regrouping, the one facing Asvald hasn't been affected yet.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

With Eva in delay, the elementals are up, right?


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

You're right, Senja--I was waiting on Asvald's saves, but 1 point of STR damage won't affect his attacks, and the burn damage shouldn't make a difference at this point.

Round 2 (ongoing):

Initiative order
Elementals-acted
Senja
Asvald
Eva
Torque

With the fire extinguished, the good news (such as it is) is that the elementals cease their endless chanting, and with its cessation comes an end to a grim yet subtle pall that had been cast over the chamber. However, all three of them move to attack; even though only two can reach Asvald, they are able to flank him.

Asvald, you get an AoO on Blue; it'll only do damage if you have a magic weapon, though.

The skald's armor and other defenses preserve him from much of the damage, but one slam gets through for 14 HP, plus another DC 16 Reflex save to avoid catching on fire. If you failed the save last round, take 2 more points of fire damage.

Everyone can act!

Dice rolls:
Flanking attack vs. Asvald: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 13 + 2 = 26
Flanking attack vs. Asvald: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 2 = 18
Flanking attack vs. Asvald: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 13 + 2 = 17

Slam damage: 1d9 + 3 + 1d6 + 1d8 ⇒ (6) + 3 + (3) + (2) = 14

Fire damage, potential: 1d8 ⇒ 2

Shadowfire Elementals: AC 20 T 16 FF 13 HP taken--Blue 6 Red 17 Magenta 0

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Unsure which elemental is which, and thus unable to tell which ones he has already hexed, and with the frustrating counter-spell itself counter-spelled, Senja attempts to do as much harm to the creatures as he can. He forms a massive sphere of shadow in his hands, like a boulder made of swirling shades of darkness, then hurls it down the hall, where it splits into many duplicates and bounces around the room, smashing into the elementals!

Cast mass pain strike, DC 22 Fort save or take Nonlethal damage: 9d6 ⇒ (4, 4, 1, 2, 6, 1, 2, 4, 4) = 28 and be sickened. The same damage will occur every round for 9 rounds.

I won’t be surprised if they have SR, so I’ll roll that too.
CL check vs SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
CL check vs SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
CL check vs SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23
CL check vs SR: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 9 + 2 = 16 Rerolling the natural 1 above, using folio reroll – not much better.

Carbide – does Senja’s earlier Knowledge check in this post help him understand why Asvald needs a magic weapon to harm them? I thought they were only noncorporeal when moving, is it something else?


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

It's moving when it passes from a threatened square, so it's still noncorporeal when he gets the AoO.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Ah, Sorry, I did not read closely enough that you were referring to the AoO. Thx.

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 67/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

I think I missed the reflex save last round.

Reflex: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
This Round Reflex: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

AoO: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (2) + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 = 17
Damage (good hope, inspire rage, power attack, arcane strike): 1d8 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 22

With Torque's divine powers keeping him on his feet, Asvald continues chopping at the elementals.

Primary (good hope, inspire rage, power attack): 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (8) + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 = 23
Damage (good hope, inspire rage, power attack, arcane strike): 1d8 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 26

Iterative: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 + 1 - 3 = 29
Damage: 1d8 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 21

Fervor Attack: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 15 + 2 + 1 - 3 = 35
Damage: 1d8 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 = 24


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire| The Confirmation|

Round 2 (ongoing):

Initiative order
Elementals-acted
Senja-acted
Asvald-acted
Eva
Torque

Two of the elementals convulse with pain, but the third resists the effects of Senja's spell. Then Asvald slices repeatedly at that one, which disperses into wisps of flame that fade away.

Eva and Torque to go!

Dice rolls:
Fort saves, Blue/Red/Magenta: 3d20 ⇒ (4, 20, 12) = 36

Shadowfire Elementals: AC 20 T 16 FF 13 HP taken--Blue 6/28NL Magenta 0/28NL

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Torque steps up and again heals his Ursine comrade.

Converting a Lesser Restoration into a Cure Moderate Wounds

2d8 + 9 ⇒ (1, 2) + 9 = 12

4,851 to 4,889 of 4,889 << first < prev | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's PFS Emerald Spire-Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.