Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Harsk

Lord Fyre's page

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32. Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber. Pathfinder Society Member. 5,438 posts (5,738 including aliases). 2 reviews. No lists. 1 wishlist. 3 Pathfinder Society characters. 4 aliases.


RSS

1 to 50 of 5,438 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Similarly- why didn't he keep the diamond in his pocket the whole time so he could just absorb its properties?

The reason he didn't keep the diamond is that he was arrested (and presumably searched) by the military after the failed assassination attempt.

Likely the police took it.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

captain yesterday wrote:
Wyntr wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
I don't want a neverending mass of combat encounters in my APs. Paizo should remove all the monsters except possibly the bosses. If someone want it all in, they can add it themselves. That should free up space for some romance options.
Pfft - Paizo should remove all the rules and stuff from the APs; just publish them as novels and anyone who wants to play them in the RPG can come up with all of that stuff themselves :P
Paizo should publish my book Tentacled Horror From The Beyond, ...

Hook Mountain Massacre not withstanding, Paizo doesn't normally publish erotic literature.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

John Kretzer wrote:
TOTALLY John Kretzer wrote:
Yes I am.

No...you are not.

Look my name is in blue and yours is in Red(pink?) that denotes a alias.

So any questions?

Where did this bizarre idea that lucky7 was "devilishly handsome" come from?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Jacob Saltband wrote:

I like Agents of Shield.....but

Kind of disappointed in that the villian got ahead of a fast moving vehicle without any apparent why, and a human shaped piece of asphalt was an immoveable object against an SUV moving at a high speeds.

Edit: Yes the SUV would have still been in an accident......but mister asphalt guy would have been crumbs all over.

You're right. F=m*a still applies.

He would have needed to be something much harder to survive that collision without injury himself, like a diamond. Even so, he would still bounce.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

thejeff wrote:
Wyntr wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
I don't want a neverending mass of combat encounters in my APs. Paizo should remove all the monsters except possibly the bosses. If someone want it all in, they can add it themselves. That should free up space for some romance options.
Pfft - Paizo should remove all the rules and stuff from the APs; just publish them as novels and anyone who wants to play them in the RPG can come up with all of that stuff themselves :P
Nah. Paizo should publish blank books and we can all just write up the entire adventure ourselves.

STOP having BadWrongFun!!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Darn it. Ninja'd

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MMCJawa wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Admittedly, I am not sure how I feel about the new, and darker, tone of the series. :/
That was kind of inevitable with the Winter Soldier events though.

True. ... and it does make a comicbook show more "adult."

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Admittedly, I am not sure how I feel about the new, and darker, tone of the series. :/

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Wiggz wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Wiggz wrote:
That's good. Suggesting that Paizo doesn't have an agenda because they can't be expected to come up with every random magic item and yet they DO manage to come up with this one - completely at random? I don't think so. You know how I know Paizo has an agenda on this issue? You know how I know its important to them? Because they've stated publicly that they do. Over and over again. If you want to make the argument that its a laudable agenda then that's something I can get behind, something I've even said myself more than once... but to argue that they don't have one at all?

There is a risk that they will get too far ahead of their audience though. You can hear the rumbling on these message boards.

In any case, see my above comment about this "Elixir of Sex Shift" being easy to abuse.

Oh I don't disagree at all. I can acknowledge that its a noble and laudable goal while at the same time holding the position that its inappropriate to use their game as a platform to push a socially progressive agenda that is of dubious benefit to a small minority of its patronage, especially when considering that most people who engage in gaming do so with the understanding that its a safe haven from such socio-political heavy-handedness. That's my opinion but I'm not alone in it... and if that opinion happens to be a minority one, well then I'm confidant that in the interest of fairness, Paizo will champion me next, eh?

Actually, using their game to "push a socially progressive agenda" is (IMO) not a bad thing. Like any other form of entertainment, it can and (if handled carefully) should also spread ideas. (At its best Star Trek is a good example of this.)

The problem is that I feel that Paizo needs to throttle things back a bit - they are being too heavy-handed. If an agenda is pushed too hard, it can lose the very people who it needs to reach.

So, no, you are not alone in your impression. I see that my perception is (at least) parallel to yours.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Didn't we already have this discussion?

Yes and no.

We had a very similar discussion about Shardra Geltl.

But this is about this item. Which, while it may have been created to support her story, is rife with possibilities for abuse.

Wiggz wrote:
That's good. Suggesting that Paizo doesn't have an agenda because they can't be expected to come up with every random magic item and yet they DO manage to come up with this one - completely at random? I don't think so. You know how I know Paizo has an agenda on this issue? You know how I know its important to them? Because they've stated publicly that they do. Over and over again. If you want to make the argument that its a laudable agenda then that's something I can get behind, something I've even said myself more than once... but to argue that they don't have one at all?

There is a risk that they will get too far ahead of their audience though. You can hear the rumbling on these message boards.

In any case, see my above comment about this "Elixir of Sex Shift" being easy to abuse.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Wiggz wrote:
People in real life have been raped, murdered, tortured, made slaves, etc. but fantasy gaming (Paizo included) have never shied away from these topics, what makes this one so sacred that it cannot be addressed fully?

Most likely, the Paizo developer who created this item (for the best intentions) did not realize the can of worms they were opening.

Wiggz wrote:
That would be very interesting to see... but it would never happen. It would be incredibly appropriate from a 'balance' perspective, but somehow I don't think it fits the agenda.

I think this is the real problem.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Two questions about the "Eight Arabian Nights" adventure set:
*- What levels are the eight adventures for? (Are they connected as an AP?)
*- Will there be a "player's guide" for these adventures? (If, and AP, are there "campaign traits"?)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

John Kretzer wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
What time is it?
3:46 AM
Does anybody really care?
You must case you did ask the question in the first place.

If so, I can't imagine why.

We've all got time enough to die.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

John Kretzer wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
What time is it?
3:46 AM

Does anybody really care?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

What time is it?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

What does one take the Skill Focus feat for to gain access to the Arcane Bloodline?

Reason, my sorcerer want's to get a familiar. :)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Related to this, is there any good way to foreshadow Ecarrdian before book #6?

As it is, he just pops out of nowhere.

Fabius Maximus wrote:

A letter? Let me quote Stringer Bell: "Bleep, is you taking notes on a criminal bleeping conspiracy? What the bleep is you thinking, man?"

Oberigo is too smart for that. I suggest letting one of the PCs overhear a conversation between two underlings.

Another good way is to have one of the rogue's or the bard's contacts warn them away from robbing Eirtain Oberigo - preferably without an explanation.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

I have to ask ...

Spoiler:
... did you have to put the necklace on?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Liz Courts wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Has anyone created stats for the Buttery Knife yet?
Yes.

Have those stats been posted yet?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:
(skipping other product line mentions such as the adventure's armory that got stats for a buttery knife in two separate printings)

Please do not propagate false information, especially if it's easily refuted.

(Despite your assertion, the book did not "include stats for a 'buttery knife.'" There was a minor PDF error where in one paragraph of chapter introductory text, the weapon called "butterfly knife" had a font ligature issue and showed up as "buttery knife," but the actual listing of the weapon in the table and weapon description correctly showed up as "butterfly knife." I can post photos or video of the actual 1st printing of the book to prove it.)

(Relevant link to why this problem happens.)

Edit: My kinfe/knife typo fixed. :)

The real question is ...

Has anyone created stats for the Buttery Knife yet?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kthulhu wrote:
I am assuming, however, that Paizo maintains some sort of oversight. If Dynamite turns out a six issue Kyra/aboleth hentai, would Paizo find out as they were published, or would they veto it beforehand?

I am Shocked that Merisiel has not posted yet!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Draven Torakhan wrote:
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Actually, given how hated the sewer section is, perhaps you are better off not fixing it.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Draven Torakhan wrote:

So I've started running this and looking over things...

I see a lot of threads concerning the sewers and talking about experience/buffing it, etc, because PCs should be 2nd level.

At Medium progression, 2nd level is 2000 xp. You get over 1000 xp for following Janiven into the sewers, and over 1000 again for making your way -through- the sewers.

Am I missing something, because it seems there's little need at this point to run several 'side' missions to get the xp.

Yes. The two story awards you mention are supposed to be divided among the heroes, not per character.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.
HangarFlying wrote:
What kind of pirate are we talking here? Johnny Depp pirate, or Cartman pirate?

Captain James Hook pirate.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Does this tie-into Giantslayer?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

John Kretzer wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
John Kretzer, are you a man of constant sorrow?
Are we not all men of constant sorrows? :(

Does that not depend on if we can differentiate between a Disney Character and a Warner Bros. Character?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

John Kretzer, are you a man of constant sorrow?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Is there a problem with Dimension Door in PFS?

... and I am also surprised you don't have Haste. It is just too useful.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

What do you want?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Master of the Fallen Fortress?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Liz Courts wrote:
Scott Andrews wrote:
Scarred lands is coming to pathfinder courtesy of Onyx Path, they have already release one short adventure for pathfinder.
Have they? If they have, they haven't sent it to us per the requirements of the Pathfinder Compatibility License.

Oh boy.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Dragonstar

... though with the Technology Guide, Paizo has given me most of the tools I would need to do the conversion myself ...

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Lazarod Malloran wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Lazarod Malloran wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Geopolitical realities mean that the rebels can't expect much in the way of outside help.

Ha!

Lord Fyre wrote:
Who in the right mind wants war with Cheliax?
You want that list in alphabetical order? For now, we can skip the obvious "A" entry to point out:

Don't be too sure about that. The reason that Cheliax and Andoran are not at war right now is that both nations have (correctly) estimated that an invasion of the other power would fail.

Likewise, moving a battle fleet through a hostile Arch of Aroden is foolishly dangerous.

You thought I meant Andoran? wicked grin[/url]

Once again, unlikely. Celestials are unlikely to come to Golarion en masse. Who would call them? Coming unbidden is unlikely, else they would have stopped the World Wound long ago.

Large numbers of devils will be available because Cheliax has literally hundreds of infernal summoners.

Lazarod Malloran wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Lazarod Malloran wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
get help from .... the Desnans in Nidal's Borderlands

The Umbral Court would love that. Such an effort would expose the Desnan infiltrators.

We also have friends.

Who was it that was described as welcoming their occupiers like a spider welcoming a fly into its web again?

Oh never mind that; you don't have anything to worry about. You got Nidal watching your backs.

Sleep tight.

I would have no trouble doing so. Once again, you fail to understand political realities.

Nidal would not be doing Cheliax a favor by hunting down the Desnans, they would be enforcing its own laws. ... and they are just as Lawful Evil as Cheliax is.

So, the effect is that House Thrune would be doing the Umbral Court a favor by helping them resolve an internal security problem.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Lazarod Malloran wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:
Geopolitical realities mean that the rebels can't expect much in the way of outside help.

Ha!

Lord Fyre wrote:
Who in the right mind wants war with Cheliax?
You want that list in alphabetical order? For now, we can skip the obvious "A" entry to point out:

Don't be too sure about that. The reason that Cheliax and Andoran are not at war right now is that both nations have (correctly) estimated that an invasion of the other power would fail.

Likewise, moving a battle fleet through a hostile Arch of Aroden is foolishly dangerous.

Lazarod Malloran wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
get help from .... the Desnans in Nidal's Borderlands

The Umbral Court would love that. Such an effort would expose the Desnan infiltrators.

We also have friends.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Oath wrote:

The boring part is most superheros hit with primarily fists. See Also: Superman, Batman, etc.

If you go for flavor, Wonder Woman is an Amazon. You could do a nice archer build with that concept.

She's also around as tough as Superman in current canon and I've seen her dressed more like a Hoplite, so making her a tank archetype might work as well. Paladin, Fighter, etc.

This goes back to what I said originally. She should be a Paladin:

  • Ignoring that most Superheroes primarily fight unarmed, Wonder Woman is also known to use sword and board.
  • Wonder Woman (and all the Themysciran Amazons) have a very close relationship to the Greek Gods.

    Paladin (or Warpriest) of Iomedae would be a good fit.

  • RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    W E Ray wrote:
    House of Thrune wrote:
    All activity here is being recorded by our scribes.
    And This why House Thrune will crush Kintago's little rebellion.

    Actually, that is not why.

    The real reason the Kintago rebellion will fail is because the Chelish navy is massive, well trained, and well equipped.

    The Empire is more then able to completely blockade the islands ... and flying devils will prevent the rebels from getting much aerial support).

    Geopolitical realities mean that the rebels can't expect much in the way of outside help. Who in the right mind wants war with Cheliax?

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    Altus Lucrim wrote:
    This peaks my interest, but I'd almost always go with monk for Wonder Woman. She hits with fists more often than anything else.

    Monks are obsolete. See Brawler.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    meepothegreat wrote:
    We have Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, the Flash, and me as Wonder Woman. I can always do a Thundercaller Black Canary if this doesn't come together on par with them.

    Rephase: What Pathfinder races & classes do you have for your JLA PFS team. (and who is what?)

    Imbicatus wrote:
    I'm not sure how you would make Supes in a PFS game. Invulnerable Rager sort of works mechanically, but is terrible for theme.

    Agreed. I am not sure how - within the rules - to simulate the Krytonian's powers.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    meepothegreat wrote:
    I would use that race if it was pfs legal still. This does have to be pfs legal, since we will play most likely at the next con I'm assuming for my area.

    True.

    Actually, what do you have? (i.e., Superman, Batman, etc.)

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    Fromper wrote:
    I'm thinking bard. She's supposed to be a very charismatic, inspiring figure and uses a lasso (bards get whip proficiency, and you can take some feats to be able to grapple with it eventually).

    I'd be more inclined to go with Paladin for her, maybe with a smattering of Brawler. I'd buy her lasso as an exotic weapon.

    While she was created from clay, I would handle her race as an Aasimar. This is both because of her close association with the Greek pantheon and her racial heritage as an Amazon.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    John Kretzer wrote:

    SHAMELESS PLUG TIME:

    So my friend and GM for many of the game I play in wrote a book and got it published. Having just finished it myself I have to say it was very good. If you get a chance please pick it up and read it.

    The name of the book is Hellbow Rune you can find it on Amazon or Barnes & Nobles.

    Is the Hellbow Rune Smurfy?

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    graystone wrote:
    thegreenteagamer wrote:
    I'm not talking cross-genre stuff like superheros or high sci-fi hackers etc, but within Pathfinder's existing high fantasy genre.
    Have you noticed the tech guide? Someone's already mixed sci-fi into your high fantasy. Chainsaws, robots and laser guns all have rules...

    +1

    When you say "rules that exist" you need to be more clear. Also, since Paizo continues to produce more content, keep in mind that you are talking about a moving target.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Define "rules that already exist."

    For example the Race Creation rules (ARG pp. 212-247) exist. Okay, they are broken, but they do exist.

    This specifically reference your "Kender" example above.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    I plan on using this scenario as a supplement to my Council of Thieves campaign to add some more social role-play elements. The names and some of the story elements will need to be changed to make it fit in Westcrown.

    Spoiler:
    However, there is a monster problem with the scenario. At Tier 3-4 the final "boss" encounter is a Young Shadow Demon who starts out possessing a human fighter.

    The problem is that adding the Young template to an incorporeal creature does NOT make it weaker.

    What could be a good replacement for this creature?

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    I remember that there was a way to buy something for my Game Master without receiving it myself.

    Specifically, Plunder & Peril for the person who will be my Skull & Shackles GM. (... so for obvious reasons, I don't want to see it myself.)

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Orthos wrote:
    Informing the players of "these are a sample of the kinds of enemies you'll be facing regularly" allows them to build their backstories with the eventual encounters in mind, both so they'll be mechanically effective (because nothing annoys a ranger player more than never/rarely being able to fight their favored enemy or never/rarely being on their favored terrain) and so they can craft a backstory that meshes well with the campaign.

    Yes! Yes! At thousand times yes!

    Two of the most difficult areas of starting a new campaign are ...

  • characters that belong in the setting. (Sorry, but a Viking Mariner is not a good choice for The Mummy's Mask)
  • - this is important - characters that WANT to go on the adventure. This was one problem with the traits from Council of Thieves.

    ... so you want to give enough information so that the players can make good characters. If you need to "bribe" them with minor game advantages, so be it.

  • RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    More usefully, what is your opinion of the Samurai variant class from Ultimate Combat p. 18?

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    Is this a physical or PDF product?

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    I'd still recommend your original plan - Rise of the Runelords.

    You've played through it, so you already know (to a degree) how the story should flow and some of the pitfalls.

    With Council of Thieves you would be starting, in effect, blind. The campaign has some serious pitfalls (especially in The Bastards of Erebus and The Twice-Damned Prince).

    Spoiler:
    Bastards actually makes the Hellknights look like Keystone Cops.

    Council of Thieves is also limited because there isn't a "Westcrown Sourcebook." Since the city and its future are so central to the story it really needs one.

    RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

    John Kretzer wrote:
    Lord Fyre wrote:
    John Kretzer wrote:
    Lord Fyre wrote:
    John Kretzer wrote:
    Lord Fyre wrote:
    Will the next question destroy the Universe and replace it with something superior?
    Of course.
    What will this superior universe going to be like?
    It will be better than the last...unfortunately you won't realize it as you will completely have forgotten the old one...but be thankful it was pretty horrid.
    In this superior universe, does John Kretzer dance?
    It would not be a superior universe if I did.

    But, if you don't dance, how will you get the sexy vampire chicks?

    1 to 50 of 5,438 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.